Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for surveys for Mumsnet HQ and their clients. If you'd like to commission a survey of MN members email insight@mumsnet.com. Non MN surveys will be deleted.

UK MNer and a parent? Take part in a survey on favouritism – chance to win £100 voucher NOW CLOSED

(10 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-May-16 14:27:07

We at MNHQ would like to find out a bit more about what MNers think about favouritism, and whether members have any favourites among their own children.

Obviously this will be a sensitive issue for some - please rest assured that your answers will be anonymised and we won't trace individual answers back to individual MNers. All MNers who complete this survey will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher from a store of their choice.

This survey is open to all UK MNers who are parents.

To take part click here.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Comeonmommy Tue 10-May-16 17:16:01

I only have one dd so of course she is my favourite and believed that is all I would need to know. When dd was 3 I met my new partner who had a dd age 4. I thought it would be really hard work to treat them fairly but 6 years on I love my dd but I have another whole lot of love for my sd. I would do anything to protect her - they are loved to the very best of my ability.

foxessocks Tue 10-May-16 17:18:50

Done!

GardeningWithDynamite Tue 10-May-16 17:26:33

Part of Q7 (about if you were the favourite) is a bit hard to answer if you're an only child.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 10-May-16 18:06:06

Yes I'm an only & had to put don't know for those

tinyterrors Wed 11-May-16 09:59:59

I'm an only and put favourite for that question as I was the favourite because I was the only child iyswim.

It's an interesting topic and I've seen the damage when parents have a favourite child with my dh. His dad favours dh's only sister, paid for driving lessons, cars, takes her bil and dns on holiday etc while dh is lucky to get a birthday card.

It's understandable to secretly have a favourite child but very, very wrong and damaging to show it.

onitlikeacarbonnet Wed 11-May-16 21:01:45

I joke with friends about having a favourite and it's usually a reaction to demanding behaviour (ds) or crappy bedtimes/sleeping issues (dd)
But, this survey made me think about it and I actually don't have a favourite. I have 2 fab DC and though each has their own difficulties, I love them both equally.

IonaAilidh11 Mon 16-May-16 07:09:18

done

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 16-May-16 11:56:24

It's not an awful thing to have a favourite, but I do think it's bad to show it!

I frequently tell one of my kids they're my favourite today - it changes all the time depending on who's just brought me a cup of tea, or who's being obnoxious!

OmaC Mon 16-May-16 14:28:39

I have one of each so they are very different. My inlawas showed great favouritism to her other daughter in law and her children in terms of time monsy presents and attitude. My younger brother escaped lightly whereas as a girl I was expected to do jobs round the house

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now