Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

Celiac in very young children, stunted growth and failure to thrive

(8 Posts)
Rae2016 Mon 09-Apr-18 22:32:49

My son is 3 years and 4 months but is the size of a two year old, he has always been on the lowest centile. I have repeatedly asked my GP if this is normal to which he repeatedly reassured me all was fine. On taking him to a private Endocrinologist I have been told this is not normal and he is now going through a series of tests. I am pushing my GP to get my son tested for celiac disease as I have always had huge sensitivities around gluten. Has anyone experienced this with their young child ie stunted growth and failure to thrive to to celiac disease? If so could you please tell me how your child was affected and what treatment helped? Thank you so much! smile a very worried mum

Namelesswonder Mon 09-Apr-18 22:42:03

My daughter has Coeliac Disease and was short for her age when she was diagnosed (age 7). Once gluten free she sprouted and is now 50th percentile. But she also displayed other symptoms - stomach issues, lethargy, mouth ulcers, aching joints, weight loss. Lack of growth results from the fact that untreated Coeliac Disease results in damage to the gut so food isn’t absorbed properly, once the gut heals growth happens.

Melassa Mon 09-Apr-18 22:43:51

No answers, but I'm wondering the same and will be watching with interest.
My DD is a now a tween, has always been skinny and small, slow to gain as a baby, yet she eats and always has eaten loads. No coeliac symptoms whatsoever. I went to see an endocrinologist for an unrelated matter and he also suggested it could be due to gluten. I wanted to book a blood test but the paediatrician tells me they are not really conclusive and to be certain we would need a gut biopsy, which does seem a bit drastic for a totally asymptomatic child.

Melassa Mon 09-Apr-18 22:46:28

Nameless how soon after going gluten free did your DD grow? Was it fairly quick or did she need to be gluten free for a couple of months?

Bumply Mon 09-Apr-18 22:51:11

Ds2 was 10lb 7oz at birthday ie 90+ percentile.
At 10 months old he had gastric enteritis which triggered coeliac symptoms thereafter.
He would throw up after every meal, had a sticky out stomach like malnutrition children on charity adverts, pale almost translucent skin, didn't have the energy to pull himself up and walk as he'd been beginning to do,but because he was by then on 50th percentile this was seen as 'normal'.
It took nearly a year to get a proper diagnosis of coeliac despite frequent visits to Dr and grandma also being coeliac. 1 in 100 is normal incidence of coeliac in population. This increases to 1 in 10 if close member of the family have it too.

He was diagnosed by blood tests and biopsy and treatment is GF diet. He's now 16 and over 6' tall. No symptoms since going GF.

Namelesswonder Mon 09-Apr-18 22:55:56

Mallasa DD caught up after about 18 months of being gluten free but all children are different as it depends on the amount of gut damage. We were warned the gut can take years to heal, 2 to 5 years not unusual.

Rae2016 Mon 09-Apr-18 23:08:05

Thank you for sharing

Rae2016 Tue 10-Apr-18 09:26:50

Thank you so much for your replies, would be great to hear from anyone else with regard to my question

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: