Talk

Advanced search

AIBU....Dogs in a restaurant.....

(11 Posts)
Ford12 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:56:18

Our local hotel/ restaurant with rooms has just been refurbished. We went there for lunch today. Husband, daughter, son and 4 month old. Refurb, food, staff all fantastic. Delighted it is on our doorstep. I know that they have rooms allowing dogs and would expect to see them in the bar area where you can have food. We had lunch total £148.00. Half way through dessert a couple came in with their dogs. Quite smelly....My son (4) is afraid of dogs since being mildly...attacked by a black Labrador. He decided that he didn't want to sit anymore (as the dogs were next to him). It was fine as we were finishing our meal....but they were smelly. I was quite surprised to see them in the restaurant. Am I out of touch? Should dogs be allowed in a restaurant? In a pub, fine.( I had rescue dogs for 15 years so not anti animals! )

SpotAGuillemot Sun 29-Oct-17 17:57:55

Meh, depends on the place I guess. If they were well behaved I really can't see the issue.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 29-Oct-17 17:59:05

I don't see the problem as long as they are well behaved and not begging for food. The only time I've had a problem with dogs in public places is a pub where there were no dogs but the whole place stunk of dog - that I don't like and couldn't eat there - we left.

Redtartanshoes Sun 29-Oct-17 17:59:15

£148 for lunch for 2? Fuck me.

atsasnuffothat Sun 29-Oct-17 18:07:23

I think the issue was they were smelly! Doggy smell would put me right off eating, well behaved or not

Haint Sun 29-Oct-17 18:12:26

In my experience a great deal of Sunday lunch business comes from people walking dogs and stopping for lunch (country rather than city)

Ban dogs and you’re banning a large percentage of your clientele

Ropsleybunny Sun 29-Oct-17 18:18:32

We were once eating in a restaurant and a family arrived with a very large dog and sat down next to us. When it was sitting its head was level with our table. At one point it turned and left a trail of drool next to my DH's plate. In the far corner a Labrador was being fed from the table and then it threw up! A man next to us got up and walked out leaving his half eaten meal behind. I guess it was all too much for him.

Our own dog was at home, which is where these other dogs should have been.

Grottobags Sun 29-Oct-17 18:23:36

Dogs in a restaurant is vile.

whiteroseredrose Sun 29-Oct-17 18:28:49

It depends on the owners preference. Dogs aren't allowed in a food preparation area but permitted in a dining room. We love taking DDog to country pubs for a meal after a walk. Not sure it would be appropriate for fine dining though.

Wolfiefan Sun 29-Oct-17 18:30:30

You've posted this in the wrong bit I think!
Presumably the bar doesn't offer sit down meals but rather bar snacks?
I expect they have a rule that dogs can't be left unattended in the rooms. That means dogs in the restaurant I'm afraid.

Ford12 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:56:42

You can have food in the bar....but maybe not a full meal. You are right, I doubt dogs would be allowed alone in the rooms. You can't expect people to only have bar food if paying for a room! There are bigger problems in the world! Lol!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: