Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

How many teachers have a no toilet in lesson rule?

(21 Posts)
techteach Sun 02-Apr-17 11:11:46

As a teacher i usually refuse loo requests unless they have a note from a parent about a medical problem. Or if they are really desperate i will let them go as a one off

What do other teachers do?

pieceofpurplesky Sun 02-Apr-17 11:45:14

If they have a pass fine. If it is the first time they have ever asked (previous lessons etc.) fine. If they say they feel unwell fine. If they ask every single lesson and/or go missing for ages not fine. They are then told they can go but will make up the time they missed at break/lunch. Works for me

Aliveinwanderland Sun 02-Apr-17 11:48:54

Depends on school policy. My school is no toilet in lesson time unless they have a medical condition. I sometimes use my discretion and override this if I think a child is really desperate. We have 3 lessons in a row so it can mean no toilet access for well over 3 hours, longer if the child has a long walk to school.

techteach Sun 02-Apr-17 11:52:55

Alive

3 lessons in a row is too long, 1 hour 40 minutes is the longest a child in my class would have to wait.

cheminotte Sun 02-Apr-17 11:54:25

Are you primary or secondary OP ?

techteach Sun 02-Apr-17 11:56:54

Secondary

PotteringAlong Sun 02-Apr-17 11:59:37

Our school policy is no one is allowed out without a medical pass. You are not allowed to use your discresion. I don't let anyone out without a pass.

techteach Sun 02-Apr-17 12:03:54

Same here Pottering

If i use discretion which is very rare i can face a backlash from SMT

I am having problems with a couple of classes who constantly ask and will not take no for answer

what do you recommend?

missyB1 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:10:29

What would you do if a child had a toilet accident in class because you had refused permission for them to go? Not everyone will know in advance that they are starting with a virus / infection. I had a diarrhoea bug the other day which started mid morning.
The other thing to think about is how difficult it is to concentrate when your bladder feels like its going to burst!

I think teachers should usually know which child is genuine about needing to go and which are just time wasting. A blanket ban just seems wrong.

thatdearoctopus Sun 02-Apr-17 12:11:49

Sounds like this is more a behaviour management issue than a genuine need for the loo. Why do they persist in asking you when they presumably know the school rules on it? Do those same kids ask other teachers in the same way?
Stand your ground, tell them it's not up for debate unless they'd like to discuss it with the Head (or whoever) and move on.

Wolfiefan Sun 02-Apr-17 12:14:16

If the school policy is they aren't allowed then you remind them of this when they ask. Tell them at that point that repeating the request only disrupts learning and so consequences will be issued. At our school that was two warnings and then a detention. Etc etc.

techteach Sun 02-Apr-17 12:14:32

thatdear

Not all the teachers follow the rules so you get kids trying it on because they have been allowed in other lessons.

techteach Sun 02-Apr-17 12:15:34

missyb1

If a child said they were ill that would be one of the times i make an exception.

Universitychallenging Sun 02-Apr-17 12:15:45

This is a TAAT.

And why is it in expert q&a?

Universitychallenging Sun 02-Apr-17 12:16:35

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/a2891939-Is-it-legal-for-a-teacher-to-deny-a-child-access-to-a-toilet?msgid=68041951#68041951

This is the thread it's a TAAT of.

thatdearoctopus Sun 02-Apr-17 12:17:54

So, when they say, "Mrs So-and-so lets us," you reply, "Well I'm not Mrs So-and-so. I've said no, and until you can show me a pass (or whatever), the answer's staying as no. Now let's get on."

thepatchworkcat Sun 02-Apr-17 12:18:09

I'm primary and usually say yes or ask them to hang on until end of an activity or break time if it's 10 mins away. But I'm PPA cover and don't always know the children as well as their class teachers do. Our PE teacher doesn't let them at all and then they come to me after PE having drunk lots of water, so another reason I let them.

schoolofconfusion Sun 02-Apr-17 12:19:07

Pottering what happens in your case with a school blanket ban with girls starting periods for the first time or indeed for that month as periods are often irregular initially?

Ours too had registration or assembly and then straight to double lesson.

A girl with heavy periods would be soaked by then.

schoolofconfusion Sun 02-Apr-17 12:19:10

Pottering what happens in your case with a school blanket ban with girls starting periods for the first time or indeed for that month as periods are often irregular initially?

Ours too had registration or assembly and then straight to double lesson.

A girl with heavy periods would be soaked by then.

Universitychallenging Sun 02-Apr-17 12:24:45

We weren't told nor was DS that he had to get a toilet pass to be allowed out.

I have spelled out how his school worked extensively on the other thread.

Not all children have access at breaktime or before and after school. Ds only access was lunchtime with long bus journey to and from school and eventual toilet pass was still not great and too little too late. (Long walk to reception to get key to one toilet)

user1492583020 Wed 19-Apr-17 09:30:46

I teach yr 4 and i don't allow toilet breaks during lessons, they should go at break like the teachers especially in secondary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now