Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

Becoming a cleaner??

(4 Posts)
Snuggles23 Tue 21-Mar-17 17:22:31

Hi, just want to ask some advice about offering a cleaning service. Currently work part time 2 days a week but could do with a little extra income but want to be closer to home and have more flexibility.
Can anyone give me any advice about starting up eg; what to charge, do you use your own cleaning products etc.. any advice would be appreciated please. smile

Redyellowpinkblue Tue 21-Mar-17 17:23:57

I'd be happy to help, I've been running a domestic and commercial company for and few years now smile
Charges vary so much, what kind of cleaning will you offer?

Snuggles23 Tue 21-Mar-17 17:40:19

I was thinking of domestic cleaning ideally but don't know how to go about starting. The only things I don't want to clean though are ovens and I don't really want to do ironing (am I being too picky?).

Redyellowpinkblue Tue 21-Mar-17 18:27:00

Going to be completely honest, we did domestic cleaning for the first year, in my honest experience there isn't much money in it so we no longer offer domestic cleaning just domestic deep cleaning.
It's hard work, we supplied all our own products and equipment as customers vacuums never seemed as good as our commercial vacuums and seemed to taake so much longer and when you factor in decent equipment and materials to make life easier, then insurance and uniform if you want to look professional, plus fuel to get there, and adverts to get the work in the first place we found it not that profitable. We charged £11.50 per hour, we did increase this to £12 but it still wasn't worth it for us.
There is a lot more money in deep cleaning and commercial cleaning, especially office/contract cleaning. Carpet and oven cleaning is good money too but set up costs are much higher. Oven cleaning requires very little money to set up and chemicals and equipment last a long time and you can make more money for quite an easy job - the chemicals make it very easy to do!
We found there was virtually no money in domestic ironing and hard to price too. Again a lot of hard work for miminal reward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now