Talk

Advanced search

Read what Mumsnet users and their children thought of Banjo Robinson’s personalised pen pal experience

(183 Posts)
LucyBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-Apr-20 10:19:18

This is the feedback thread for the Mumsnetters who tested Banjo Robinson’s personalised pen pal experience with their children aged 5 to 8. Banjo Robinson is a magical, globetrotting CAT who sends proper, paper post (and creative activities!) to children twice a month, from exciting destinations around the world!

Testers received an initial introduction pack which includes: a personalised letter introducing Banjo and his travels, a world map, stickers to track Banjo’s progress, personalised stickers to use creatively, two sketch pages to colour, a reply page to draw and write their response, a reply envelope with postage stamp stickers and a recipe cards. Banjo then wrote each child a follow up letter detailing his next stop in his travels and including more goodies.

Here’s what Banjo Robinson has to say: “Banjo Robinson is a magical, globetrotting CAT who sends proper, paper post (and creative activities!) to children aged 5 to 8, twice a month, from exciting destinations around the world! Children can write back to Banjo and leave their replies under the sofa for overnight collection by 'Cat Mail’. Our website allows parents to add a paragraph to the end of the next letter their child receives (PS message), so that Banjo can answer their questions, reference their recent achievements, or simply send love and encouragement.

Each delivery includes a personalised letter from Banjo (now written by children’s author, Anna Kemp!), reply stationery, a colouring-in activity, personalised stickers, country facts, and a recipe from each country. Children also receive a big, beautiful map of the world poster with their first letter - they can add country stickers to this as they follow along with Banjo’s world tour!"

Testers, please answer the following questions as well as completing the short feedback survey which we have emailed to you:
1) What did you think of Banjo Robinson, the character?
2) How was your child’s experience of receiving the personalised letter from Banjo?
3) Did you write a PS message in your child’s letter(s)? If so, what did you think of this feature?
4) What stood out for you with Banjo Robinson? Delight and fun, educational benefits or anything else?
5) If you could change one thing about Banjo Robinson, what would it be?

All testers who leave the required feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Non-testers, if you’re reading this feedback and think that your child would like to receive letters from Banjo, you can get 50% off a 3 month subscription using the code BANJOLOVESMN at the checkout, on the Banjo Robinson website. This includes a big, beautiful map of the world to follow along with Banjo on his travels and six deliveries!

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

QueenieMum Wed 22-Apr-20 16:12:43

Cute, clear as to who he is, what he does and why but a little basic. He's a bit of a two dimensional character rather than a fully rounded one.

2) How was your child’s experience of receiving the personalised letter from Banjo?
I printed off Banjo's story and gave it to my DD to read as part of the school work she's doing at home so she didn't question it. If I didn't have schoolwork to add it to I'm not sure how I would have presented the concept without it being totally random.

DD LOVED receiving the letter and was amazed Banjo had written to her. She went through everything that was received and put the sticker on the map, did the colouring, etc, as well as writing a reply. She seemed really engaged with it. She was also excited to receive her second letter but so far hasn't replied.

3) Did you write a PS message in your child’s letter(s)? If so, what did you think of this feature?

I did and I liked it, although DD had asked Banjo so many questions in her letter it was difficult to get all the answers into the PS! We do an NSPCC letter from Santa each year that has this feature so she is already used to this style. Personally I would prefer the additional info to be woven into the main body of the letter but I appreciate that this would be more labour intensive.

4) What stood out for you with Banjo Robinson? Delight and fun, educational benefits or anything else?

Banjo definitely sparked DD's interest and imagination and it was great to see her busy with the activities. She did expect a reply the next day though. That's probably due to the letters she has sent to our house fairies when she has received a reply the next day. DD also asked why Banjo was allowed to travel when we couldn't but that's obviously unique to the current circumstances. It's a nice way to learn about other countries whilst having fun at the same time.

It is a bit too young for my 8 year old so I would like something aimed at slightly older children. I can see from the website that this is being worked on and I would definitely be interested if / when it becomes available.

Thank you for selecting us to be testers, we have enjoyed the letters and I have appreciated having something very different for my DD to do smile

lottietiger Wed 22-Apr-20 16:31:20

Testers, please answer the following questions as well as completing the short feedback survey which we have emailed to you:
We quite enjoyed him, my son was not sure of the name Banjo at first but got used to it.
2) How was your child’s experience of receiving the personalised letter from Banjo? The first one he was a bit confused where it came from and wasn’t that interested until he read the personalised bit that referred to his own pets. The second he was looking forward to.
Yes i did and that was the bit my son engaged with, without that im not sure he would have been interested. That said i was disappointed that it wasn’t re- written in Banjo style and was just copied directly from what i had written.
Definitely the excitement of putting the letter under the sofa and then waiting for the reply to come back. We also liked the world map.
5) If you could change one thing about Banjo Robinson, what would it be? The city map we got was pretty poor, we went to Sri Lanka last year so we were excited to see where we had been on the city map but it was basically just two buildings and the sea. It would be nice to know where Banjo is off to next and or have some puzzles and clues to work out where he was going. something to keep the interest up.

SoVeryLost Wed 22-Apr-20 16:31:45

I really liked Banjo, he was fun and really engaged my son.
DS loved it. The first letter arrived and I gave it to my DS he doesn’t often get post so was intrigued anyway. He’d read and replied to Banjo with beautiful handwriting within 30 minutes.
Yes I did, I didn’t think it really worked in terms of the first letter as I didn’t really know the content so I made it generic but with the second letter I had seen what he had written so tried to make it fit what DS has written in his letter.
The pure delight on DS face when the second letter came. He’d been waiting and waiting for the letter to arrive even getting a torch out to check if it’d been delivered to where he’d left his letter.
Explain that the pet you supply will be given a job in the letter. I didn’t realise this and put a family pet but one we obviously haven’t seen since lockdown.

All in all, it’s something that has delighted DS, he really enjoyed receiving his letters, reading and writing back to Banjo.

Sun1988 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:36:42

Banjo Robinson is so cute!
Was very happy and excited with letters!!
Yes and kids enjoyed ao much! It was first ever letters personally ti them 😘😇😍
Kids enjoyed very much of personalisation in letter! The Map was very interesting.
I would add more friends on Banjo ;)

manicatthedisco Wed 22-Apr-20 16:39:01

My DS (5) was really excited when I told him the story of banjo and that he'd be writing to him. I think he's a funny and engaging character.

DS was over the moon when he received a letter through the letterbox addressed to him. However, the letter was quite long and there were some bits he didn't really comprehend due to his age, which meant he lost interest near the end.

Yes, I thought it was a good feature and something that would make it more believable to DS. It was nice for him to read something relatable to him. He did get particularly excited over this part of the letter.

4) What stood out for you with Banjo Robinson?
Delight and fun, educational benefits or anything else?

I like that Banjo Robinson is both fun and educational. My DS is in reception so writing letters back to Banjo gave him chance to practice his sentence formation and spelling. It was also lovely to see how chuffed he was when the letters came.

I would change the fact that the letters are placed under the sofa and delivered by 'cat mail'. My DS just couldn't get his head around the fact that why we weren't posting it through the letterbox as 'that's where all letters go'. I'd also have more age specific letters. They were really good but a little complex for my 5 year old. I think a more simple letter be more suitable for younger children. Me & DS really enjoyed testing out this product though, and the map provided was both fun and educational.

Neb123 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:44:33

Liked him, nice to have a cat character
She loved it
Yes - this was the best part of the experience
The illustrations are lovely
We have subscribed because my daughter is enjoying it but is expensive.

pennylane83 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:47:17

Cute cat and illustated lovely however I think given the target audience is 5-7 year olds it would have been more beneficial to make Banjo a child rather than a cat as it would be more like writing to another child at school in a different country.

Loved the map but needed persuading to sit and listen to the letter and write her reply. Was excited to recieve the second letter though through the actual post as she realised the cat writes back.

Was a good way of picking out something they had written about in their reply which made it feel more personal.

Liked the map and learning where places are. It is also a good way to encourage practising writing.

More activities/puzzles and would be better to have proper pictures/postcards rather than illustrations (although the illustrations are lovely) so your child can actually see the differences between countries. Would also use a child character to write to rather than a cat as my 5 and 7 year old really didn't buy into the whole cat writing a letter to you and you replyig by leaving it under the sofa concept - perhaps because we have a cat and they know this just doesn't happen.

blackleggingsandatshirt Wed 22-Apr-20 17:29:43

I loved the character, he was believable and interesting and my DS could imagine his adventures.

He loved it - his face lit up, and the fact he know our cats name made him squeal with joy. He has never received a letter before, he was delighted with the trial.

Yes, I we really liked it, it made the whole experience more personal and tailored to my son.

The letter looked like it had come from far far away, it has significant educational benefits, in that my child can learn and enjoy the process, on a subject he would not otherwise be interested in, it is so personal and the contents of the letters made a lot of entertainment for us.

I would subscribe if the price was lower, so that would be my first comment, also could the letters have more activities please, a treasure hint, a little language skill, and maybe we could buy a file/folder to put all of the letters in to collect them, to look back on.

thanks for selecting me - it made a lockdown day a lot of fun.

olbndansmummy Wed 22-Apr-20 17:37:38

1) I thought the character of Banjo Robinson was cute, friendly and relatable to my child
2) my daughter absolutely loved her letters, and was so happy Banjo knew so much about her
3) being able to add a p.s. made the letters so much more personal and it made my dd laugh
4) it gave her something else to do during lock down, kept her off a screen and was educational too
For me it was bright, entertaining, engaging and personal to dd
5) if I could change 1 thing, it would be how dd's reply is sent. I like that it goes under the sofa, but what to do with
it? I didn't want to throw it away so have hidden it and will give it to her when she's older along with Banjo's
letters.
I have to say overall we have been so impressed with the whole experience and have taken out a subscription. Thanks mumsnet.

kungfupidge Wed 22-Apr-20 17:39:15

hello there this is my feedback thank you

my son liked him very much and said he would love to meet him. smile

my son was very excited to receive his very own letter in the post and seeing his little face open the letter was fantastic.

i think it adds a wonderful personal touch my son couldn't believe that banjo knew his dogs name !

it was so great to see my son taking the time to write and read without prompting he really enjoyed writing his reply it was also a joy to see his face light up on finding a letter especially for him

n/a we loved banjos letters there is absolutely nothing we would change thank you for choosing us to test it was a delight.

munchbunch12 Wed 22-Apr-20 18:03:05

Cute and relatable for my adventurous little girl.

Excitement and interest.

Yes I did, I thought it was a great idea, DD was amazed by it... 'how does he know our names and what we've been doing' etc

Delight and fun, but still educational, giving a real flavour of the places he's been to.

I think the price is a little steep.

Yogafairy Wed 22-Apr-20 18:37:48

My daughter thought the cat was cute but I think that she was too old to get the most out of the experience.

My dd absolutely loved the first personalised letter. The idea that Banjo knew our cat was lovely for her.

I did write the ps but dd had forgotten by the time the second letter came.

It was fun, dd loved that his name was Robinson. The map is great fun, as are the stickers.
5) If you could change one thing about Banjo Robinson, what would it be? I think that it needs to be aimed at a max age of 6 years.

Kimberly89 Wed 22-Apr-20 18:52:52

He was a friendly and funny.

He loved receiving the letters! He has wanted his own post for so long so his eyes lit up when he saw his name on the envelope.

No we didn't

We loved the map, as he is very keen on leaning about different places, we now have a list of places he wants to go.

Nothing we were pleased with it.

Anita87 Wed 22-Apr-20 19:14:33

It's a sweet character but might benefit from some special quirks.
He loved the fact that he received a letter addressed to him. The general part was quite and he struggled to keep the attention span.
Yes, my son loved the message and thought the cat from our garden must have given Banjo all the information about him

Delight and fun. I think at 5 the educational benefit is still quite small.

More specific quirks

Ashton08 Wed 22-Apr-20 19:22:27

) What did you think of Banjo Robinson, the character?
Loved him, very adventurous.The name was a bit tricky though how to pronouce it

Oh my, my Son absolutely loved it and the 2nd letter he was thrilled thatbit actually worked.I think he felt important and it was unique to him so that made it extra special for him.

I did and it was regarding the lock down as my son, like all other children are finding this situaltion pretty tough so to have a letter from Banjo made his day😃

Great activity which lasted a good hour, my son showed so much interest in the map and was exploring different countries.

5) If you could change one thing about Banjo Robinson, what would it be? I would love to subscribe to this for my son as he really did enjoy it but it is veryr expensive .

Seb19521710 Wed 22-Apr-20 19:55:16

My daughter liked the idea of banjo although I dont think she understood he was a cat or that he was travelling the world. I think the opening story could make it a little bit clearer that he is going to go on a trip around the world. I had to explain who banjo was and what he was doing for my daughter to understand. That being said it didnt matter as she loved reading the letter and wanted to reply. Sh wanted to know lots about him which I used the ps messages for but it would be nice if the story described him a little more as young children like to know this. I think it would be great if they had a short video the child could watch to Support the story as I think it would be more clear to
them.
The first letter took a bit of prompting to know who the letter was from. She was very excited to get a letter and was eager to write back. Her attention was caught by banjo knowing that she had a dog and in the second letter that he knew what colour sofa we had so I think those details worked well.

I liked the ps feature as I used it to answer the questions my daughter asked. I would like an idea of where banjo is visiting next so I can help steer the conversation in the right direction. I think the pa is great to add personal comments like happy birthday or to ask a child to do something like practice writing or even riding a bike.
I like that it is like having a penpal. My daughter does not often choose to write so its great that she was excited to write back and that feature I really love. Lots of subscription boxes are fun because they come in the post but dont require a response

I think that the story dis not really explain he is visiting countries. That part was lost on my daughter and I think it would take several letters before she really understood the concept. The country info could be a little simpler! Overall we liked the concept and i plan to order the 6 letters with the offer code to see how it works out.

Pixiepops Wed 22-Apr-20 20:21:24

He seemed like an adventurous little cat, informative, with a playful side to him too.
My son was a little bit bewildered and was keen to figure out how Banjo had found out about him, but was also excited and really pleased with the letter, activities and the thought that he could write back to him.
I did. I really liked this feature as it definitely helped to maintain the magic.
The stand out thing for me was the thrill that my son felt when the letters arrived. He enjoyed doing the activities too, and is really keen to go on an adventure with Banjo!
If there could be a little more personalisation in the letters, rather than just the PS parts they'd be great.

Overall my son really enjoyed Banjo, so thanks for choosing us to test him out.

Pigeonpea Wed 22-Apr-20 20:45:15

Nice and chatty

She liked the letters, but really didn't understand why the letters she was writing had to go under the sofa, especially, as there isn't a black and white cat that lives near us.

It was a great add on, although I did hold my breathe, as the letter she wrote wasn't aligned to any of my PS notes, so it started to cross over and become less believable.

The letter sent was lovely and my daughter loved reading it. he liked putting the stickers on the map.

There would be more then one thing to change.....

Track Banjo on an app?
Allow the child to actually send the letter the write back, or at least scan it in to Banjo's on line postal account - I felt like a fraud asking my daughter to put it under the sofa and thinking of a good reason why - we live in a 3 storey house, the lounge is on the 2nd floor, no where near a door...
The map states 'collect all the stickers and wine prize'..... again, this made me cringe.....

We signed up to Geo and Atlas for a few months and were massively impressed with the trinkets, the map, the log book etc that were included.

It was a lovely experience and came at a time of need and my daughter loved writing and drawing for Banjo, it was just the sadness and confusion of putting it under the sofa that really let the whole experience down.

Maryaa Wed 22-Apr-20 22:28:32

I thought Banjo Robinson is a great character and what Mya (my 8 year old daughter) was so impressed and excited about was how Banjo knew our cat called Romeo. She kept asking how Banjo knew all these things about her.

Mya’s experience of receiving the personalised letter from Banjo was very delightful because she was so excited to have letter come through the post with her name on it and she loved the world map and stickers.

Mya really enjoyed the PS message as i personalised this to ensure Banjo knew it will be her birthday next week and also that she is working hard with her home learning while we are staying at home.

What stood out for me was the colourful, interactive convincing letter and Mya wanted to write back straight away and she wrote in her neatest handwriting. She was very excited to have a pen pal.

In terms of educational benefits, Mya read the whole letter herself and wrote the letter back to Banjo all by herself and I was impressed.

Maybe have the letter a bit shorter and less tricker words, keep it simple and maybe have a creative activity in there such as making a card or making something to send back.

Thanks for the opportunity to test Banjo Robinson penpal.

narry Wed 22-Apr-20 23:56:49

My son seemed to really love the concept. I was happy about his interest but was a bit nervous that if he told his school friends they might ridicule him for thinking he was writing to a cat.

2) How was your child’s experience of receiving the personalised letter from Banjo
He loved receiving post and wrote straight back to the first letter. He got the second letter a couple of days ago but hasn’t replied yet.

I thought it was a great feature. Especially because my son asked something really specific in his reply which I could then tailor the next PS to.

Educational benefits. My son is a reluctant reader and writer as he’s a typical 5 yr old boy. This was something I could experience with him but leave him to try to write by himself too. He was absolutely elated when the second letter arrived and he had his question answered and there were other personal details. He truly believes this cat is his penpal.

The fact that he’s a cat. I think it might narrow your audience as older children won’t believe an animal is writing to them

mandes1 Thu 23-Apr-20 00:33:29

The character was cute, a little cliche though. For my 8 year old son, it would have been better to have been a tiger or another jungle animal.

My son was very excited to get mail addressed to him. I liked that element as it made him feel special. His interest wore off though as the letter is a bit too wordy and long. My son is at the upper age limit at 8 so used to technology such as ipads. It will take him a while to get used to letter writing.

Yes, we did. My son liked this feature as it made it more personal to him.

Definitely educational and encourages the art of writing and creativity which I like. It is fun, but it would have been more suited to my four year old who would be happy to write back to Banjo. My son had to be encouraged to do this.

I think it is a great idea and anything that encourages writing, reading and creativity is a hit with me. My 8 year old wasn't very keen though. so I would adjust it slightly so that it could be used for 3-4 year olds as well. Make the letters shorter and more pitched to children who are not used to reading such long letters.
Add a surprise with every letter, perhaps a snazzy pencil or keyring or something.

MrsFrTedCrilly Thu 23-Apr-20 00:48:59

DD 7 despite not being keen on cats or animals in general was thrilled with the concept of a travelling cat writing letters.
She was thrilled, loved the stickers and maps. Immediately write back, given they I’d been struggling to get her to write this is very telling!
I did and thought it was great, she was delighted to have her questions answered and some praise from an anonymous magical cat...what’s not to like?
The delight, the fact that DD wanted to write a letter and the whole educational globetrotting facts really appealed to her
I think it’s pretty good but it might be an idea to have other animal friends who write occasionally? Broaden the appeal perhaps.
Thanks for including us in the testing we will be subscribing smile

claza93 Thu 23-Apr-20 07:31:50

My daughter thought he was cute but a bit too young for my daughter

Tilly loves getting post addressed to her so this was great fun for her! The personalised bits added a lovely touch and she was impressed by it

3) Did you write a PS message in your child’s
letter(s)? If so, what did you think of this feature?

Yes I did - she thought this was great and really held her attention!

She enjoyed it but I think it is just a tad too young for her. Loved the brightness and eye catching pictures!

Different variations for different age groups would be great

sheepysheep Thu 23-Apr-20 08:15:59

Fun and mischievous

He was delighted to receive a letter especially as it was so colourful. When we read it out and he heard the personalised parts his eyes lit up.

Yes, we thought it made the letters really special

Delight on my child’s face; older child enjoyed it too and they spent a lot of time looking at the map together; I travel a lot for work (well, I did...) so it was interesting to look at all the countries I go to. I’ve done this with a proper map before but they were more engaged with the Banjo one. But no Wales?! We live in England but I’m originally from wales and we visit family there so they were a bit concerned it was missing.

For us it was delivery timing as we received the letters on consecutive days. But that was out of the company’s control. I’m not sure how relevant the recipe section was. The little stickers were great. Thank you for sending the letters.

jameela1 Thu 23-Apr-20 08:39:51

1) Banjo Robinson, the character is very likeable and engaging.
2) My child’s experience of receiving the personalised letter from Banjo was amazing, it came as a perfect surprise, and gave her such a beautiful experience of learning new things as well as having to write a letter in reply (which she loved!)
3) I did write a PS message in my child’s letters. This feature makes the experience even more special as well as makes the character more believable and interesting to interact with.
4) What stood out for me with Banjo Robinson? Delight and fun, educational benefits of course, also the whole experience of personalized mail, perfectly designed for the child. The designs are colourful and gorgeous,too.
5) If I could change one thing about Banjo Robinson, what would it be? Maybe add a feature of exploring new languages, add little souvenirs and possibly tiny stationary sets. Maybe parents could have a feature of putting together a Banjo Robinson parcel with Banjo as a soft toy to add, ability to personalize it with Christmas or Eater themes.

This thread is not accepting new messages.