Talk

Advanced search

Find out what Mumsnet testers thought of NittyGritty’s new and original nit combs

(52 Posts)
LucyBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Dec-19 15:08:46

This activity is now closed

This is the feedback thread for the 60 Mumsnetters who have been testing Nitty Gritty’s new nit comb before launch, alongside the original version.

Here’s what Nitty Gritty has to say: “You can beat head lice and nits without nasty chemicals because our Nitty Gritty Comb is exactly what your family needs to quickly and easily get rid of all head lice, nits and even the 'live' eggs which other products leave behind to hatch a new generation of little monsters in your children's hair. And, we’re really excited to be testing a new version with double the grooves, designed to be doubly as efficient.”

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the questions below as well as completing the survey we’ll have emailed you:

1. How did the new Nitty Gritty comb perform in comparison to the original comb? Did it remove move head lice and eggs? Did it comb through the hair more easily?
2. Would you be willing to spend a little more on the new Nitty Gritty comb than on the original Nitty Gritty comb? Do you feel differently as a result of knowing the Nitty Gritty comb has a lifetime guarantee?
3. Would the new Nitty Gritty comb be your first choice of nit treatment in the future? Why?

All testers who give the required feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one tester will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

BristolMum96 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:15:49

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the questions below as well as completing the survey we’ll have emailed you:

1. How did the new Nitty Gritty comb perform in comparison to the comb? Did it remove move head lice and eggs? Did it comb through the hair more easily?

I don't think it was too much different. Both combs worked excellently. Maybe the new comb went through the hair with a bit more ease but not a huge amount.

2. Would you be willing to spend a little more on the new Nitty Gritty comb than on the original Nitty Gritty comb? Do you feel differently as a result of knowing the Nitty Gritty comb has a lifetime guarantee?

Only if it was a little more. A lifetime guarantee would sway me as a shopper as I would think it was guaranteed to work or the company wouldn't bother guaranteeing the product

3. Would the new Nitty Gritty comb be your first choice of nit treatment in the future? Why?

Yes. It's simple and very effective and for one purchase price it can be used for life

katplva Thu 05-Dec-19 16:20:42

1. I tried both the original and the new combs. The procedure was the same for both of them. I found the old comb worked well on the small dc's fine hair, but the new comb was better and removed more lice and eggs from the older dc's thicker hair.
2. The nitty gritty combs are not cheap but they feel robust and do work (with thorough patient combing). It's good to hear about a lifetime guarantee but I'm not sure when I would need to use it as I dont think the comb gets particularly tough use.
3. Yes I think I would go for the nitty gritty comb first as shampoos/lotions/solutions can be very expensive, especially when you have to treat lots of heads.

Thanks for the chance to try this out!

Caillou Thu 05-Dec-19 16:21:22

1. How did the new Nitty Gritty comb perform in comparison to the original comb? Did it remove move head lice and eggs? Did it comb through the hair more easily?

I did have to look very very closely at the comb to see a difference between the two of them (if I have got it right, on the new one the spirals go in two different directions?)

The new one was slightly more effective at removing eggs and head lice, didn't see much difference in the ease of combing, both were excellent.

the fact that it has a lifetime guarantee I think is pretty good, but I wouldn't be willing to spend more money on the new one as they results were not massively better.

I would definitely be using Nitty Gritty comb again.

Farwah Thu 05-Dec-19 16:31:46

I am a huge fan of NITTY GRITTY combs but I did not feel great about the new combs unfortunately. I think the heads were too rough and even after using a decent amount of hair detangler,it was rough on my little one’s hairs and she was clearly in pain during the procedure. It did work to remove head lice and eggs but we struggled alot with combing it down the hairline.

I would rather spend more on the previous Nitty Gritty comb as it worked better for my little one and was gentle on her hairs yet effective. The lifetime guarantee doesn’t motivate me as much as the ease pf combing and relaxing my little one during the procedure does. So old Nitty Gritty is a keeper.

Unfortunately Not. I would stick to the old one as it is light yet effect and my little one has no issues when in use.

LagartijaNick Thu 05-Dec-19 16:37:53

So far the new Nitty Gritty has done its job by deterring lice. They've stayed away since we got the comb. No idea how they knew.

parentallyadept Thu 05-Dec-19 16:49:57

We found it was very good at removing the lice and eggs (lice removal was comparable to the original comb, but there were noticeably more eggs removed with the new comb), but in my daughter's thick hair the new comb did seem to 'pull' more so we definitely needed to thoroughly brush and detangle first! Didn't notice the issue so much with my other daughter who has much finer hair.

A little more, as it definitely seemed better at the egg removal.
The lifetime guarantee is reassuring although the comb seems very robust so probably wouldn’t need to be used.

Yes, alongside the Nitty Gritty lotion to avoid pulling the hair, as the comb would be a one-off purchase, it’s natural, it doesn’t involve harsh chemicals, it’s easy and convenient to do, and the lotion smells lovely!

Thanks for giving us the chance to test the new comb smile

mama36 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:53:27

Removed more but ease was same

Yes (only if it’s a bit 😀)
Definitely peace of mind

No
Was painful for kids

Nsmum14 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:58:51

I had already found the original Nitty Gritty comb to be excellent at removing everything, lice and eggs, fairly easily. The new comb is every bit as good.

To be honest I think the original was good enough. It worked for us 3 years ago when it cleared four of us from lice without having to use chemicals. The lifetime guarantee is a fantastic bonus, I had not heard of it!

Either would be. The new one was faultless, but as I keep stressing the first one also did the job. It will certainly be one of the Nitty Gritty combs regardless. I would never consider buying anything else to remove nits. The Nitty Gritty works and is 100% natural.

del2929 Thu 05-Dec-19 17:21:41

they were about the same tbh, my daughters hair is very long and it was difficult as it kept getting caught in the hair.
it did remove eggs tho
yes- knowing a product i am purchasing has a lifetime guarantee makes me feel more confident as a shopper. This factor alone has in the past has helped make decisions when shopping.

yes- i will always use the nitty gritty and i will and do always now recommend this to fellow parents and family.

ellebell89 Thu 05-Dec-19 17:46:50

1. I found both combs to be very effective at removing lice & eggs. The newer comb definitely removed more eggs than the original though. My daughter has very long hair so using nit combs is usually a struggle but we found these two combs easier to go through her hair without leaving any nits or eggs behind before we reach the bottom so I'm very pleased.
2. It's great that the nitty gritty has a lifetime guarantee and definitely makes me feel better spending a little more for these combs. They are effective and have a guarantee so no complaints here.
3. I will be using the nitty gritty combs from now on as compared to other nit combs we've tried (and there has been a lot) these are by far superior. They are effective on both very long hair and my son's short French crop hair.

WillyWonkaIsAWanker Thu 05-Dec-19 19:59:52

About the same. I think it was harder to comb through but got out pretty much the same amount of lice and eggs.

No, sorry. Didn't realise about the guarantee though but it's more about initial money layout for me than guarantee for the future

Maybe! Didn't see a difference between the old and new. Both great. Hopefully buts won't come back so we won't need one again 🤞

hanliying Thu 05-Dec-19 21:06:09

1. How did the new Nitty Gritty comb perform in comparison to the original comb? Did it remove move head lice and eggs? Did it comb through the hair more easily? Haven’t used the original but the comb I tried this time is amazing. Very easily remove nuts

Yes lifetime guarantee def adds value
Yes, tried and worked

sharond101 Thu 05-Dec-19 21:43:06

1. How did the new Nitty Gritty comb perform in comparison to the original comb? Did it remove move head lice and eggs? Did it comb through the hair more easily? I found the new comb mor efficient at removing lice and eggs however both went through my Daughter's thin hair very easily.
2. Would you be willing to spend a little more on the new Nitty Gritty comb than on the original Nitty Gritty comb? Do you feel differently as a result of knowing the Nitty Gritty comb has a lifetime guarantee? Yes I'd uses this in place of a solution so really the cost is better as it ca be used time and time againn.
3. Would the new Nitty Gritty comb be your first choice of nit treatment in the future? Why?Yes, it worked, chemical free and has a lifetime guarantee with no running to the shops at 8pm on a Sunday when you realise the dreaded nits have appeared!

kathhere Thu 05-Dec-19 22:08:31

1. we're already big fans of Nitty Gritty combs and its lack of chemical content. they have worked well for us as a family for years, and our first comb is still going strong after 4 or more years of regular use. The new comb looks just as robust as the current one. It removed maybe 1 or 2 more eggs, and worked well on our daughter's fine hair. No complaints of hair pulling for once!
2 - I'd buy the new comb if it wasn't a crazy price more than the existing one, and if i was in the market for a new comb. The trouble (from a business perspective) is they are fairly indestructible so you don't need to buy them again, they're just too good!
3- the new comb would be my choice of treatment if I had it in the house, if I already had my existing one i wouldn't necessarily buy another, but the original one is so very good its hard to improve on it

Thanks for the chance to try them out!

goldenretriever1978 Fri 06-Dec-19 07:10:39

1. I found it more efficient. It went through the hair easily.

2. I would be willing to spend more on this comb. The lifetime guarantee is great and makes me feel really positive about the product.

3. Yes, it would be my first choice as it is simple, easy and chemical free.

xtoniax Fri 06-Dec-19 11:22:38

I don’t think there was a huge difference between the two combs. Both removed eggs and lice. But I did find the newer comb pulled more on my daughters thicker curly hair.

I would not be willing to be paying any more as I didn’t find them that different. I do like that it has a lifetime guarantee as these products are always very expensive.

Honestly I wasn’t a fan of it. It seemed to pull through my daughters hair a lot more than the one we usually use, plus I found them to be a lot bigger than some of the other products available so more difficult to use.

NorthernLightss Fri 06-Dec-19 17:00:59

I have used the original nitty gritty comb for a few years and was happy enough to buy spares, so I wasn't looking for an alternative method of dealing with head lice. I did find the new comb was more effective in removing small lice and eggs, but it also seemed to pull more, at least on wavy hair. In our case I'm glad to have both combs, as I can now try either.

I think the lifetime guarantee is a great idea, hopefully only rarely required, the comb feels well made. I'd certainly be annoyed if the comb had a fault, it feels like an investment purchase when compared to basic, cheap combs. I'm not sure whether I think version 2 warrants a premium, I'd probably buy version 1 unless the difference in price was negligible.

I'll probably use version 2, and if there are too many complaints about tugging, swap back to version 1.
Thanks for the chance to try them.

NorthernLightss Fri 06-Dec-19 17:08:57

I'd just like to add that I much prefer to manually remove lice and eggs rather than use hedrin etc - I've used Hedrin on myself when my child had head lice (I was unable to use the nitty gritty comb on my wavy hair) , and the idea of just waiting for eggs to hatch then trying to suffocate the lice is unappealing. Dealing with head lice is awful, getting rid of them now with a comb feels effective.

Themyscira Fri 06-Dec-19 17:41:30

It definitely removed more nits. It was the same getting thru DD's thick hair, though.

It depends on the price difference and if I have the funds, but I'd rather buy a quality product once than a cheap one several times. Lifetime guarantee needs to be made digital somehow, because I lose receipts and packaging easily.

I would use it in conjunction with other treatments, but it's definitely my favourite comb.

Her0utdoors Fri 06-Dec-19 22:23:41

1) I had already cleared the infestation by the time the trial pack arrived. I didn't feel a difference in the way the two combs went through the hair.
2)I don't know if I'd pay more for the NG2. I already knew the NG1 came with a lifetime guarantee, which shows the company have confidence in the quality of their product.
3)The NG remains my first choice of treatment for head lice as combing is the NHS advice for best removal of lice.

Smotheroffive Sat 07-Dec-19 01:12:28

Where's there a link to the comb? I think I might like to buy one or two.

ittooshallpass Sat 07-Dec-19 09:55:11

I would never buy this product as I find the name extremely offensive:

Even though it is commonly used, some word experts have debated about the political correctness of “*nitty*-*gritty*.” Some word historians say that nitty-gritty refers to the debris – or remains -- left on the floor of slave ships. This reference may make the word offensive to some people. 9 Jan 2016

alijchappell Sat 07-Dec-19 11:41:57

1. I noticed more eggs have been removed with the new comb but didn't notice any difference in the ease of going through the hair.

2. Possibly providing there was not a massive price difference. A lifetime guarantee makes no difference as I felt the combs were very pretty sturdy.

3. Yes, because it worked better than anything I've used thus far.

EggysMom Sat 07-Dec-19 18:22:58

How realistic is a lifetime guarantee for a product such as this? I mean, I can understand how it could be used over 10-15 years whilst one generation of children are at school; but when those children grow up, are they really going to say "Mum, can you please dig out the old nit comb as I want to use it for my own children"? With the next generation then saying "Mum, can you please dig out Nan's old nit comb ..." grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »