Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MN testers thought of the Lunette menstrual cup

(55 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Nov-19 11:05:20

This is the feedback thread for the 50 Mumsnet users who have been testing the Lunette menstrual cup over the last 3 months.

Here’s what Lunette has to say: “We are revolutionising the future of period care with our small but mighty menstrual cup.

Lunette is a Finnish, women-led company on a mission to change attitudes about periods. Trusted name in the industry, Lunette Cups have been around for almost 15 years and are sold in over 100 countries. All our menstrual cups are vegan, bpa-free, and come in a variety of colors. Ethical, sustainable and easy to use, Lunette Menstrual Cups will provide you with up to 12 hours of worry-free use.

87% of our users say that their quality of life has improved as a result of starting to use Lunette Cup - Join us for period revolution and support women’s rights movements all over the world!"

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the questions below as well as completing the short survey we have emailed you:
- What do you remember of your initial experience of the Lunette cup?
- How is your experience with the Lunette Cup now?
- What have you felt to be the main benefits of using the Lunette cup?
- Will you continue to use the Lunette cup following this test? Why?
- Would you recommend the Lunette cup to others?

All testers who give the required feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (for a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight terms and conditions apply

Ribeebie Tue 12-Nov-19 13:52:40

What do you remember of your initial experience of the Lunette cup?

I found it easier than I expected to use. It wasn't as fiddly as I thought it would be and did not leak.

I like it. It's easy to use. I'm a complete convert!

It's easy to use and for me the main benefit is the environmental impact.

Yes I really like it! I will definitely continue to use it. Thanks!

Yes it's great.

HitsAndMrs Tue 12-Nov-19 13:53:59

When the cup arrived, I love the packaging and that you can choose different colours. On using the cup, I found the rim very thick which meant I struggled to get it into position.
I feel that because of this it made me quite itchy and uncomfortable.
I used the cup over 3 periods but I couldn't get it into a more comfortable position. This may be due to my anatomy and that my cervix is quite low and therefore the cup too big.
In general, I much prefer cups over tampons or pads, they make such a difference to periods in that I could leave it for 12 hours without any worries. My periods are more pain free with a cup and it benefits from lasting years which makes financial sense. I will keep trying the cup on and off and assess. I would always recommend a cup to others but the lunette unfortunately wasn't for me but you have to try and few to see which on suits you the most. I have tried a moon cup, a lunette and a Saalt cup in the past.

beargryllshasabigrope Tue 12-Nov-19 13:55:28

Really liked it. Excessive packaging but the product itself was great.

Fantastic! Much prefer it to my mooncup. Doesn't leak at all.

It's environmentally friendly and I have fewer cramps while using it.

Yes I have used mine regularly since receiving and will continue to do so as it's easy to use and a really good cup.

Yes definitely!

whitershadeofpale Tue 12-Nov-19 13:57:49

I was a tester and will take the questions 1 by 1.

I found it easy to insert but needed to trim the stem as it dug into me as I say down. Removing it was harder and I found breaking the suction difficult and at one point thought I'd have to ask DP to remove it, for me. I found the knack quite quickly though, and squatting helps!

I love it! The most difficult thing is remembering to change/ remove it as it's so comfortable and easy to forget it's in place.

I have to change less often, I have to carry less with me, particularly useful for travelling. Plus I find it doesn't leak and with no string of a tampon, meaning I enjoy oral sex with it in, something I wouldn't usually do on my period. Plus less environmental waste.

Yes, I find it so much more convenient to use. I was worried about changing in public but a) I don't really have to as it needs changing less frequently than pads or tampons and b) it's really not messy at all once you're used to it.

I also find it fascinating to get to know my body better, and I feel I could detect any changes much better than before.

I already have! and I know one friend who is buying one and recommending it to a sibling who's going travelling.

cheesenpickles Tue 12-Nov-19 13:58:46

Oops. Reposting.

- What do you remember of your initial experience of the Lunette cup? I was a bit intimidated at first as it seemed really large but once I got my head round it and practiced it was a lot simpler than I first thought.
- How is your experience with the Lunette Cup now? Really impressed. There were a couple of mishaps but that was from me being in a rush than any issue with the product.
- What have you felt to be the main benefits of using the Lunette cup? Made me realise that a lot of my issues with my cycle were actually related to the products I had been using. I've loved the fact there's less waste.
- Will you continue to use the Lunette cup following this test? Why? Yes, I'm a total convert now.
- Would you recommend the Lunette cup to others? Yes and have already.

arghhelpme Tue 12-Nov-19 14:01:05

I found the packaging quite good, and liked the little bag it comes with for storing the cup. I found it really easy to use.

Really positive. Find it so easy to use. Only downside is when out and about. Luckily the places i have been so far have all had big cubicles with sinks within them otherwise i think i might struggle.

My periods are really heavy and the pains and cramps for the first day are so bad that I find it difficult to walk. Since using the lunette the pain hasn't been as bad as compared with tampons.

Also due to my heavy periods I tend to flood a lot and leak with tampons and hate having to double up and wear pads. The cup can hold quite a bit so I dont have to worry about leaking so much, still have to change it every 2 to 3 hours on the first day though.

Yes I will still use it. It's comfortable, sometimes I even forget I've got it in! It works and there's zero waste as I'm not having to buy tampons and pads anymore!

Yes 100%. I know there are other brands out there, I have used another before but even after following the instructions for cleaning the other brand cup has gone a funny texture and pops out which is no good.

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 12-Nov-19 14:06:06

I loved the bright colour, it felt soft but fairly firm, was so much easier to use than I expected! The first time I used it I was sure I'd got it wrong because it was so easy!
Amazing, I'll never go back to pads or tampons, so easy to use! No leaks no discomfort,
Easy to use, needs changing less, more environmentally friendly, helped ease my cramps, my anxiety about leaking, remembering to carry extra pads and tampons has disappeared, life changing!
Yes! I love it, so much easier and more comfortable!
I have been, I've even bought one for a friend!

Youvegotafriendinme Tue 12-Nov-19 14:10:54

It was much bigger and wider than I was expecting and I was really nervous to use it. I watch many different YouTube videos about the folds. My first try was really uncomfortable and I had to take it out and reposition it a fair few times and I also had to cut down the tan a fair bit. The first morning of taking it out took me a really long time and I just couldn’t get the pressure released.
I persevered with it and the first month my period was much shorter, not as heavy and I had less cramping. I even braved swimming with it.

How is your experience with the Lunette Cup now?

After the first month, I had some menstruation issues and have had 3 periods in a month and they have been far too heavy to continue using it so had to stop using it. I would like to go back to trying it again once they settle back down.

What have you felt to be the main benefits of using the Lunette cup?

My first cycle was definitely shorter, less heavy and less cramps

Will you continue to use the Lunette cup following this test? Why?

As mentioned above I’ve had some issues the last few months which have meant I felt I couldn’t carry on using it but I will definitely go back to it after this is resolved

Would you recommend the Lunette cup to others?

Yes and I already have.

KandJblog Tue 12-Nov-19 14:12:25

What do you remember of your initial experience of the Lunette Cup? - really good, easy to use, works so much better than usual menstrual products

- How is your experience with the Lunette Cup now? - the same! Still amazing
- What have you felt to be the main benefits of using the Lunette Cup? - ease of use
- Will you continue to use the Lunette cup following this test? Why? - 100% because its comfortable and doesn't leak
- Would you recommend the Lunette cup to others?, - yes absolutely

Cookiedough123 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:15:58

I remember being slightly put off when I opened the box and saw what I would say is a large cup.
It took me a good few days to get used to it from inserting and removing it to feeling comfortable moving around with it.
I feel confident in inserting and removing the cup and quite happy moving around with it. It's easy to keep clean although I thought it would of been beneficial to have the cleanser given with it.
There is no leaking, I have saved money, more comfortable, dont feel like I get as 'dry'.
Yes, now I am used to using the cup I feel much more comfortable and relaxed at that time of the month. I'm also saving money from buying Tampax as they are quite expensive especially when they are not on offer!
Yes, I would recommend people to try it. I dont think it would be suitable for everyone but at the same time I think they are quite expensive to just get people to try it and not end up getting on with it. As it's not something that you could then easily return. I think most people though would get used to it eventually.

Scaredofthecity Tue 12-Nov-19 14:28:58

I was really excited to try the Lunette. I liked the packaging and thought it was a great colour (purple). Unfortunately I struggled to get a comfortable fit. I tried several times but it just didn't feel right. I looked on the website and it said it could take a few goes to get used to it. So I put it away to try again next month.

I have had 4 periods and I still haven't managed to get the hang of it. Its a shame as I really wanted to make it work. I do have a retroverted uterus and have struggled with tampons before so maybe my anatomy isn't quite right.
I found the website very useful, and have tried the different folds they recommend. I guess I'm just one of those for whom it doesn't work.
I do have a coil in place and it didn't interfere with it.

There are many benefits. The obvious one is environmental benefits, but also saving money on san pro and not having to remember to buy it either! I am disappointed it hasn't worked for me.

I might give it one last go. I haven't been able to fit it so that it feels comfortable and doesn't leak. This is a good reason not to use it!

Would you recommend the Lunette cup to others

Definitely. I love the colours aspect. I think I'm just one of the unlucky ones.

UnalliterativeGeorge Tue 12-Nov-19 14:31:40

The first time it was pretty quick after first figuring out the best way of inserting it. The second time took forever because I also had a toddler waltzing round the room which didn't make for a relaxing experience

I still feel like I need more practice with it. I like it and like the benefits so I'm going to persevere with it.

Less cramps, saving money!

Yes but I think I'll practice when my husband is home to occupy the child who wants to follow me everywhere!

I would and have already.

powkin Tue 12-Nov-19 14:39:09

I was a bit nervous as it seemed smaller and softer than my mooncup so was worried it would leak, especially at night. I changed it a lot just to make sure.

I’m really happy with it, works really well, no leaks, really comfortable

Soft and comfortable, all day protection. It is the best cup I own. I also like the colours! Mooncup’s can discolour over time but the colour hides this (and is fun!)

Yes definitely, for all the reasons above. Although if I was having the period from hell I might want my moon cup on standby.

Yes they are fab.i usually cut off the end bit but it’s so soft it isn’t uncomfortable so good for beginners who might be nervous (I also have crazy short arms so maybe this is a me problem 😂) . I hope the colours get younger people trying them as cups are SO GREAT. I’ve been using mine for 3 years and wish I’d started in my teens.

edwardcullensotherwoman Tue 12-Nov-19 15:11:07

I've never really used anything like this before (tried a cheapie one once but didn't have any instruction on how to use it so found it uncomfortable and difficult to remove) so I had to refer to the instruction video and steps on the Lunette website. They were great, they helped me realise where I was going wrong before and I got the hang of it really quickly.

Fantastic, I love it. I will never go back to using disposable sanpro, it's a much better experience using the cup.

Less chance of leakage (I've not had any), no need for bulky/uncomfortable sanpro, shorter period, less painful period.

Definitely! It's been a total game changer. My period is now 2-3 days shorter than before, I get a lot less pain than I did using tampons, I have more freedom because I don't need to constantly be considering the next bathroom trip (my first days are heavy and disposable sanpro only lasts an hour or so at a time, with the Lynette cup I can go 5/6 hours in the heavy days and 10/12 hours on lighter days.). I'm also more comfortable and have saved a fortune on expensive disposable sanpro, as well as being more environmentally friendly.

Absolutely and I have already smile

MakingABoobOfIt Tue 12-Nov-19 16:01:17

I really liked the packaging, I think the branding looks modern and clean, and I would choose it off the shelf. I was really keen to try a cup, having had recommendations from lots of friends. I had specified that I didn’t mind which size was sent- as I have a medium flow and have had a baby. I was a bit intimidated when the larger size arrived - it looks quite big, and it’s really firm.

Unfortunately I think I would have been better off with the smaller size. I’m really petite, and I think this counteracted the other factors (such as flow and childbirth), meaning I could really feel the cup when it was in place. I didn’t struggle too much inserting it after the first few tries, but I definitely would prefer a more flexible, softer cup.

I love how environmentally friendly it is, and I also found it more comfortable to remove than tampons - which always feel so drying, removing them feels like sandpaper! I didn’t find that with the Lunette - eve with the larger size.

I will, but I will order the smaller version.

Yes, although I feel the cost is high - and it’s a bit of a risk if you’re not sure of sizing.

Peoniesandcats Tue 12-Nov-19 16:03:02

At first I wasn't 100% sold on it. I found the stick at end of it uncomfortable when walking around. Also made me wince when taking it out. After contacting Lunette and watching some YouTube videos I cut the end off and practiced taking it out.

Much better now, have only had a couple of mishaps - once was on the way back from work and when I sat in the car it leaked a lot, so must have been very full. The second time I came on my period unexpectedly and I didn't have tampons on me as I had previously been using the cup. So must remember to take it out with me next time!

Being comfortable on my period - not having to sit on a wet towel or have a damp string in my pants. Another benefit is not having to change tampons/pads.

Yes, overall I much prefer it compared to pads or tampons.

Yes

Vividgreengpies Tue 12-Nov-19 16:09:42

I liked the colour and it didn't look as daunting to use when as I had previously expected.

Quite a pleasant experience. It's easy to use and was convenient to use during my periods.

Ease of use after the initial teething problems which were minor. The long term financial saving is also a benefit.

Absolutely. I had no problems using this it during my second and third periods and much preferred to use it over tampons and pads.

Yes

elrider Tue 12-Nov-19 16:44:40

Nothing out of the ordinary as I have used cups before but was on the hunt for a smaller/softer one due to some issues I have with previous cups. I loved the colour (purple) though I seem to remember a plastic window on the packaging and would prefer it if the packaging was all cardboard and therefore more easily recycled.

I haven't had leaks (I do use period pants as a back up, though) but I still have the issue I have with most other cups (difficulty peeing!). I have to trim the stem off completely but it's easy to get in and out.
I find it moves about a bit and gets a bit uncomfortable if I walk far or carry heavy things, but I think that's probably due to my crap pelvic floor muscles.

I love cups for environmental reasons and also convenience/comfort as I usually can time all my "changes" for when I'm at home and rarely need to do it when out.

I will for now, but I'm going to look for a softer cup to see if that solves my issues. Even if I get one, I'd still keep the Lunette as a back up!

Yes, I would - I assume I'm unusual with my problems and I think it's a great product and concept in general.

Murree Tue 12-Nov-19 17:01:23

I have used menstrual cups for a few years now so was very comfortable with how to use them. The box it came in was nice and small and the cup came with a lovely pouch to keep it in - the pouch is very good quality. when I first used the cup I found it to be much firmer than my usual cup which was nice as it sprang open after inserting easily (although it was a little uncomfortable pulling it out!). From the get go I had no leaks at all which was an improvement of my last cup and felt very confident using it.
I did however need to cut the steam down a little as it was too long for me.
After using the Lunette cup for a few months I am still loving it. It hasn't stained at all so looks nice and clean when not in use. It still keeps me dry all day and I don't know I'm wearing it.
Using any menstrual cup is great for the environment and also my body - I like knowing I'm using a non toxic item every month rather than tampons or towels which can contain chemicals.
I am going to keep using the cup - It has been great and much better than my old one. Once this one wears out in years to come I will be grabbing another Lunette cup to replace it.
Most defiantly, anyone who is interested in making the switch to a cup should try out the Lunette!

Kraggle Tue 12-Nov-19 19:20:38

Getting the fold right and finding the best position for insertion the first few times I tried it. I found it easier to put in whilst I was having a shower as I could leave it in all day then. First time I used it I spent a fair bit of time getting poked internally by the stem, cut it down and it was still uncomfortable so ended cutting it all off.

Much better now the stem has gone, it’s comfy, easy to get in and out and I don’t need to worry about flooding, especially at night which was a regular occurrence for me.

No worries about flooding, don’t need to worry about finding a toilet to change it every couple of hours like a pad, I can keep it in all day at work and just empty it once I’m home.

Yes, gives me peace of mind and is better for the environment

Yes

SoapyChoc Tue 12-Nov-19 19:44:15

The first few times I struggled to put the cup in and take it out but with practice I became more confident and was able to easily take it in and out.

I am finding it very convenient, comfortable and easy to use.

I have heavy periods and would often leak even with both a tampon and a pad. Now I don't have to worry about leaking and can leave the cup in for much longer than I could a tampon with no worries.

Yes. It's so much more comfortable. It's more practical and environmentally friendly.

I have already recommended it as it has been so beneficial to me.

DoYouRememberTheInnMiranda Tue 12-Nov-19 19:50:08

I loved the purple colour. Other than that, it looked and felt quite similar to the other menstrual cups I've tried. I did find this one easier to take out than some others though, I think it fits my particular anatomy well!
Good. I am happy to use it each month and have found it comfortable.
This isn't head and shoulders better than other brands I've tried, but does seem slightly easier to insert and remove than the mooncup. Cups in general are so handy for me as I don't need to carry around spares, and can just empty them a couple of times a day rather than as frequently as pads.
Yes, it's reusable and convenient - why not?! Why waste more money on something else.
I've been a cup user for over 10 years (excluding pregnancy/bfing) and in that time I've only talked about them with 2 other women. If asked, I would definitely recommend but I don't think I would discuss it face to face with a friend, too embarrassed!

SayNoToCarrots Tue 12-Nov-19 19:52:09

I got a lovely bright blue, which is an improvement on the clinical looking colourless cups I've had previously. I always find the stem quite uncomfortable, and this one, although small, was no different. I trimmed it off completely.

One inside, the cup was completely unnoticeable. I forgot it was there. It sealed itself in and the firm material ensured it stayed in place. I wore a pantyliner with the cup. Over the course of each period there were a few tiny drops of blood on the liner, after leaving the cup in place for six or more hours. This is a massive improvement on every other form of sanitary protection I've used.

Still great. There is only one slight problem - I'm fine with dealing with my cup in a public loo. If there's a sink in the cubicle I wash it, if not I wipe it out with toilet paper / a wet wipe. However . . . sometimes the blood doesn't totally flush so I have to check and flush again. This is an issue with all cups though.

My period feels shorter, because i'm not constantly thinking about it. I don't worry about tampon overflow at night or after long periods away from a loo. It is also firm, so it stays in place.

I will. It makes my period easier.

Yes.

PyjamasForever Tue 12-Nov-19 23:24:39

I liked the packaging and choice of colours. Initially I found the cup a bit fiddly to get in and remove, but I think this was more due to me worrying about it than the actual product.

With a little bit of practice I now find it much easier to insert and remove. I find this much more practical than using tampons which I find I need to replace more often.

Environmentally friendly. More comfortable than tampons.

Yes. I've found it really practical. I don't need to remember to pack tampons in my bag or buy them in my shop and I like the feeling of doing something good for the environment.

Definitely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »