Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MNers thought of Toomies bath toys

(314 Posts)
AbbiCMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Aug-19 09:11:58

This is the feedback thread for the Mumsnet users who tried and tested Toomies bath toys. Selected testers tried one of 3 toys.

- Toomies Fountain Rocket (suitable for 12 months+)
- Toomies Octopals (suitable for 12 months+)
- Toomies Foam Cone Factory (suitable for 18 months+)

This product test was open to all UK MNers who have at least one child aged between 12-24 months. Selected testers received 1 toy to try out.

Here’s what TOMY have to say: “TOMY Toomies bath toys are designed to delight children and adults alike, championing that memories are made when laughter is shared. With a history dating back over 95 years, these bath toys have been designed to last a lifetime – bath routines will never be the same again!”

Testers please answer the questions below:
- Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy?
- What did you or your child like or dislike about this toy?
- Would you choose to purchase this bath toy over other bath toys in the future?
- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy?
- If you could add or change a feature what would it be?

Selected testers will be required to leave their feedback on a thread on Mumsnet as well as complete a short survey. All testers who leave the required feedback will be entered into a prize draw where 3 MNers will win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

Unihorn Fri 30-Aug-19 12:55:55

Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy?
Octopals, and my first impression was great. I love the bright colours and the fact that there was no annoying plastic ties keeping the parts in.

My 16 month old and 2 year old both had great fun squirting each other but the using the middle octopus head to sieve water out was their favourite. I found the squirters didn't fill up as well as similar products we've had before. Also presumably, keeping mould out of 8 separate squirters will be a nightmare!!

- Would you choose to purchase this bath toy over other bath toys in the future?
Possibly depending on the price. There are similar squirting and pouring toys out there, though none with as many parts/features so that's a nice plus.

- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy?
I think it would make a lovely present for birthdays or Christmas for children under 2 so I would probably.

Maybe make the arm holders the same colour as the squirters so they can match colours as well as numbers. As it's aimed at quite young children, the numbers seem a bit redundant. Also try to invent something that stops mould, or include a cleaning tool!

Thanks for choosing us though, my girls have both loved it.

annieno1 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:06:39

- Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy?
The rocket looked really strong
My child like the way the water poured out
Yes I probably would
- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy? Yes I would great bathroom toy
- If you could add or change a feature what would it be? Other way to fill

HoneysuckIejasmine Fri 30-Aug-19 13:15:57

-Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy?

Foam cone factory. It looked great, really fun and the kids were excited to get it out the box.

They loved the idea of making ice creams and chatting about what flavours they were.

Unfortunately not, it was really difficult to use! When you pull the lever the toy slides or falls off the wall completely. There were lots of tears of frustration.

With modification, yes.

The suction pads are nowhere near strong enough. We had to hold the toy for the kids to be able to play with it, and the 22 month old wasn't quite strong enough to operate it alone which meant there weren't enough hands!

Ellyatt1 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:21:50

-Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy?
Octopals my daughter went straight for the babies in pink as they are her favourite colour. It looks very sturdy base wondered why the numbers were not in another colour to make them more visible as my three under 5’s didn’t notice the numbers which would help kids to count and place the octopals in the right places when they get older.
It’s a very enjoyable entertaining bath toy. My daughter enjoyed using a net to catch the octopals and was adaptable to create other games too. She enjoyed squirting, putting them back with their Mummy to have a swim in the bath. The packaging can be recycled and clearly showed what the toy is on the box. I think the numbers been in a different colour would be useful.
Like a lot of bath toys with squirters they get mouldy and black if not emptied
Yes as my daughter loves it
Yes already have
Have it available in different animals and use a different colour for the numbers to make them stand out. You could use different colours rather than number to match the octopals with the colours.
Is there anything you can do with the design to prevent the squirters getting black and mouldy inside.

Lmacd Fri 30-Aug-19 13:24:30

Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy?

My 21 month old tested the foam cone factory and we loved the look of it from the start.

She loved it she loves bath time so this went down a treat she loved making the cones as she loves bubbles and passing them to me.

Yes we loved it

Defo again couldn’t fault it making something and teaching her to share as she was passing the cone

Nothing we loved it my 8 year old even joined in with the fun

user1484268129 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:42:53

We tested Toomies Octopals and on first impressions we thought it looked really fun and colourful. The packaging was fairly plain but showed the product and described the product, which is all that is needed.
When we got in out in the bath my child loved that it was really colourful and particularly loved the water pouring out.
I would definitely choose to purchase the Octopals bath toy in the future over other toys and would highly recommend it to my friends and family, as it had many different features and helped my little one discover new things. For example, he was looking inside for the water he collected and then looked under to realise it was pouring out of the holes.
If I could add or change anything I would perhaps add 8 dangly rubbery or different textured waterproof legs to each octopal.

iemma321q Fri 30-Aug-19 13:45:13

The foam cone factory. Bright and colourful and easy to use. Shame it didn't come provided with bubbles.
Both my children loved making ice creams for each other.
Not sure as they seem to be getting a bit bored of it now after only a couple of weeks.
Yes
A bigger container to hold more mixture so I don't need to keep filling it up so often.

inappropriateraspberry Fri 30-Aug-19 13:53:47

The fountain rocket. My 4 year old couldn't wait to get it out of the box! It looked good and would make a nice gift.
My 18 month old enjoys playing with it, and finds it easy to scoop up the water. It would be nice to have a release button so that the water doesn't come out before he can hold it up properly and for an extra something to go with it, perhaps to put inside, like an astronaut or alien. The fins (?) are nice and soft so it doesn't bash the bath too much and my children have also enjoyed playing with it out of the bath with other toys. It seems very sturdy and also easy to clean. The star doesn't really do a lot and could maybe have a bigger section to float in.
I'm unsure, it looks good, but I don't know if it has a lot of elements to extend and develop play.
I would recommend the range in general, as they are well made and look good.
As I said earlier, an extra element for interaction with the child such as another play piece or feature on the rocket.

All in all, it is a nice toy, and sits easily on the corner of the bath. Both my children have played with it but just feel that it is lacking something extra.

ilovecake77 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:08:56

I tested the foam cone factory,my initial impression was that it was bright and looked like fun.

they loved the idea of making ice cream,but after using it it seemed the suckers holding it on bath tiles kept slipping and making it fall off into bath and the lever was very stiff and difficult for an 18 month old to use.
no i wouldnt.

based on this toy no i wouldnt,maybe with some modification of the product i would.

to make the suckers stronger and to make the lever not so hard to pull for small children

Rufus27 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:11:57

Foam Cone Factory

The bright colours and plastic 'bits' attracted them to it without them even realising quite what it was. They've had a lot of 'gown up' ice creams this year, so once it was set up, they loved the concept of 'making' their own ice creams.

I would have said yes, before reading the reviews for the Ocotpals toy and Rocket. I think I would prefer the Cone Factory but the children might have opted for the other two simply because they sound like they create more mess! I have since purchased another Cone factory as a gift for someone.

Yes, definitely. Really grateful to have had the opportunity to test this toy as it's not something I'd have considered previously.

Nothing really. Our two (aged 2 and 3) are exceptionally argumentative and struggle to share (they have additional needs) so it did take a lot of adult input to facilitate sharing with this toy. On the plus side, they are very rough with things and our daughter has weak fine motor skills, but they still coped well with the product.

MadeForThis Fri 30-Aug-19 14:13:34

1 - bath toy? The fountain rocket. Initial impression was that I liked the colours and the chunky build. It was light but easy to handle for small hands. Both DD's couldn't wait to try it out. Age 3&1
2 - like/ dislike? I liked how simple it was to use. Both DD's loves how the water poured out. It lasted a couple of seconds so wasn't over too quickly. Very easy for them to use without any help. But I had to make sure it was held towards the back of the bath so it didn't pour over the edge. Also quite large to store.
3 - choose over other toys? I would definitely choose this toy. The girls have a few toys that pour water and this was the best they have had so far. They have played with it every bathtime. And outside the bath too. Great for paddling pool.
4 - recommendation Toomies? Based on this toy, yes. It's very simple but the girls had lots of fun with it.
5 - add or change? I would add another feature or two. A switch to pour water from another angle, or to change the shape of the water coming out.

YouCantBeSirius Fri 30-Aug-19 14:13:44

We tested the fountain rocket. First impression was positive, no excessive packaging and my 1 year old likes the bright colours.

We both like the simplicity but I was disappointed that there were no extra features

Yes

Yes definitely

I would make it electronic if possible with lights and rocket sounds.

Minai Fri 30-Aug-19 14:20:18

We received the ice cream foam factory toy. Initial impressions were that it looked really fun, bright and colourful. The penguin on the front is cute. My son was really excited to use it.

He really loved the foam and making little ice creams by himself and pretending to eat them. I wouldn’t say he disliked any of it but he found the handle a bit hard to pull down himself. A design flaw was that the suckers on the back didn’t seem very strong and it kept sliding down the tiles which was a bit annoying.

To be honest no, the fact that it slides down the tiles a lot makes it hard to use so I probably wouldn’t purchase it myself.

- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this
toy?

I would but I would mention the fact that it slides down the tiles a lot which might be offputting.

I would make the suckers on the back stronger and make the handle easier for little ones to use

georgialondon Fri 30-Aug-19 14:22:21

We tested the foam cone factory.
My initial impression was that it wasn't going to keep my daughter that entertained. I was wrong! She loved it.

I liked how well it foamed up to make the ice cream. It was easy to use and my daughter was able to do it herself once I'd set it all up.

She didn't look twice at the sprinkles shaker. She had no clue what it was meant to be (she's 2)

It's difficult to clean after use due to the filter at the top. It takes too long to clean out.

I would. It really keeps her entertained and it's easy to wash her hair whilst she's playing with it.

Yes I would.

I'd make it quicker and easier to clean as it needs cleaning after each use.

Thisoneorthatone Fri 30-Aug-19 14:27:07

Thank you so much for selecting us, all my four were delighted to see a new toy and it coincided nicely with the August heatwave smile

We tested the Rocket Fountain. Initial impression was that it looked colourful and sturdy! The packaging was recyclable though quite extensive and I needed scissors to get the rocket out.

What did you or your child like or dislike about this toy?
We liked the colours, it's appearance and how it being a rocket ties in with the arc of water at the bottom, it really does look rocket like. It's also quite sturdy. The age range is well judged too, my just one year old and almost three year old have played with it most.
We didn't like how often it needs filling up with water to make it's fountain out of the base and that that's it in terms of it's play. I'd read it's good for hair washing but I'm too scared to use it over my youngest because I expect he'll scream!

Would you choose to purchase this bath toy over other bath toys in the future?
Probably not. It is fun in the paddling pool and bath but it's quite limited and there are other bath toys I'd pick over it, like things with funnels you can fill with water and then release to watch cogs turn.

Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy?
I'm not sure - maybe, depending what they wanted it for.
The Rocket is really colourful and my two youngest boys like it but it doesn't actually do that much.
We have the Tomy Octopals from Grandad many Christmas's ago and I like those better, though they're currently incredibly mouldy; and we've tried sterilising and cleaning them and it doesn't work so I think they might be done for, which is a shame. There was more to do with them while they lasted though, and they were easier to play with between siblings.
I've actually considered buying the Tomy Icecream maker many times because the theory sounds great, but the mixed, often negative reviews have put me off, so I'll be reading everyone else's reviews of that with interest!

If you could add or change a feature what would it be?
It's a bit limited so it would be nice if it did a little bit more, even just a stopper to delay the release of the fountain of water. Or a little spaceman and a compartment to put them in? Or if it could be made into three parts and taken apart to make a boat that would float? Or the inclusion of a water wheel? It would be nice if it did a little bit more basically!

kelkytag Fri 30-Aug-19 14:32:35

We had the tommies foam cone factory.
My son Loved this toy, He enjoyed making ice creams, even the little sprinkles for mum, Dad & his sisters 👌🏻
I would defo buy this toy over other bath toys! I have & would recommend this toy to anyone it give hours of fun at bathtime.
I would also add maybe some sauces & colours 👌🏻 Perfect Bath Toy!

sarat1 Fri 30-Aug-19 14:45:12

We tried the Toomies Foam Cone Factory with our 21 month old boy. He used to love the bath and started hating it in May so we have been trying different ways to get him back into it. This product looked fun and simple to use. Our toddler was intrigued by it.
The bright colours and engaging penguin helped my son take to it immediately and he liked being able to use the cones and lever, though he found pulling it difficult without an adult helping and holding it against the wall so it didn’t slip off. The packaging was ridiculously different to unpack however and took so long we abandoned til following bathtime.
We probably wouldn’t buy something like this as the idea of making ice cream food without being able to actually eat it sort of ruined it for our son as he is a greedy boy!
I would be happy to buy as a gift for someone to use but I don’t think I would recommend it as it didn’t add much to bathtime fun.
Reduce the amount of packaging and include a small amount of foam to use initially, in a sample size pot.

mummychezza Fri 30-Aug-19 14:47:00

We got to test the toomies fointain rocket,looked fun
- What did you or your child like or dislike about this toy? We love the fountian of water but it was to heavy for them to hold up out of the water without help from an adult,is quite big and hard plastic which resulted in a few bumps.
I would consider this for toddlers but a bit big and hard for little ones to use
- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy? I would recomend the other toys in the toomies range but maby not this for until 2+
- If you could add or change a feature what would it be
I would change the hard plastic to something that could not cause injury.

silverliningsa Fri 30-Aug-19 15:02:17

The rocket, good first impression, colorful and sturdy looking

- What did you or your child like or dislike about this toy? It’s bright and colorful, a bit difficult for 18 month to use but they figured it out once I’d shown them a couple of times. It doesn’t do much so they do get bored with it quite quickly.

- Would you choose to purchase this bath toy over other bath toys in the future? Probably not as it doesn’t do that much

- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy? No I don’t think I would

- If you could add or change a feature what would it be? Maybe just more to do on it, spinning wheels or something

mummy1830 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:07:53

We tested the Toomies Fountain Rocket. First impression was good, the rocket is nice and sturdy.

What did you or your child like or dislike about this toy?

My son loves playing with the rocket. I did think there could be a bit more than just the rocket for my son to play with.

Would you choose to purchase this bath toy over other bath toys in the future?

I probably would because it is simple and not complicated to put together and my son enjoys playing with it.

Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy?

Yes my son loves it so would be happy to recommend it to others.

If you could add or change a feature what would it be?

It would be to just add more features like sounds or characters for the rocket.

KondoKonvert Fri 30-Aug-19 15:15:13

We tested the Octopals

I loved the fact all the packaging is recyclable and wasn't excessive. All 3 children (5, 3, 1) loved the tactile nature of the toy. The older two liked sorting them by number or colour and the youngest enjoyed chucking them about and squeezing the water out.

My 3-year-old asked me for a bath so she could play with it again.

Yes, it's simple, uncomplicated and it appeals to all my children.

- Would you recommend Toomies Bath Toys to your friends and family based on your experience with this toy? Yes

- If you could add or change a feature what would it be? It would be nice if the toys varied in size too

Ashhead24 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:21:52

Which Toomies Bath Toy did you test, and what was your initial impression of the toy? The rocket. It looked fun but it did have an awful lot of packaging which felt a bit unnecessary.
Liked playing with it with small people/ducks- taking them on rocket ship rides. They haven't really used the water fountain end at all.
Maybe depending on the price point. It makes a nice alternative to a boat but it is just a vessel for little people rather than a toy played with on its own.
Yes they seem brilliant quality
Less packaging and maybe a little person to go with it as a astronaut.

Farwah Fri 30-Aug-19 15:39:17

We were lucky to test the Tomies Cone Factory for my toddler. We were initially very excited when we received the toy as it looked bright and the colors were very attractive. My little one couldn’t wait to open it asap!
My little one loved the ice cream cones as at his age,he loves ice cream! He loved the soapy creamy cones but the only downside was that he was a bit disappointed that he couldn’t eat it. It was confusing for him at this age to understand and differentiate it from a real ice cream and this was the only downside.
I would recommend this only if it would have been made more stronger as the parts look like they will easily break hence we did not find it long-lasting. I might not purchase it if it is the same quality.
I would definitely made it more stronger and durable,and more bubbles as we were struggling with fewer bubbles with this toy!
Apart from them,it sure is a fun concept and makes the toy time more addicting and fun smile

Asteve15 Fri 30-Aug-19 15:46:00

We tested the Toomies Fountain Rocket. Initial impression was that it was a bit basic but lovely bright colours and perfect size for little hands, as opposed to another fountain I bought previously that was for 1yr plus but is actually too big for DD to hold/lift at age 2.

DD has enjoyed playing with the rocket in and out of the bath, as she has liked putting some of her toys inside it and making them 'blast off'. I'm not sure that there is anything she has disliked about it.

If I had a younger child I definitely would but I think DD is a bit old for this sort of bath toy. Would be absolutely perfect for 1yrs plus and wish I had bought it for her when she was a bit younger.

Yes, lovely safe toy for the bath, that's interactive and drains water well.

I would add a little door or something like that that opens and shuts so that you could get into the rocket, as mentioned DD liked to put things inside it and the holes in the top make getting things in and out of it difficult. It would be an nice addition to this toy, which would give it a bit more functionality/longevity.

buttercupvn Fri 30-Aug-19 15:56:16

We tested the cone fountain. First impressions good, brightly coloured durable toy. The only bad thing about it is it does slide down the wall. The sprinkle shaker is also a great addition. I'd definitely recommend to friends, both my kids love it, including the one who is too old for it!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »