Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MNers think of the Tilda Kids Rice range

(250 Posts)
AbbiCMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Aug-19 09:25:45

This is the feedback thread for the MNers who tested out the Tilda Kids Rice range with their kids. This product test was open to all UK MNers with at least one child aged 1-8.

Here’s what Tilda have to say:
“Perfect for children who are weaned and happily eating solid food, Tilda Kids is a delicious range of rice and vegetables that have been especially developed with younger palates in mind. Every pouch is bursting with yummy, natural ingredients and hidden veggies meaning every pack counts as 1 of your child’s 5-a-day! The entire range of five variants is gluten-free and vegetarian, with four variants also dairy-free and suitable for vegans. Delicious on their own or with chicken, fish, meatballs or more vegetables, Tilda Kids not only makes meal-times easy – but delicious and healthy too! What’s more, they are ready in only 40 seconds in the microwave or just 3 minutes in a pan. The perfect cupboard essential for busy parents!”

Testers please answer the following question:
- Which Tilda Kids rice variant was your child’s favourite?
- What is your favourite thing about the Tilda Kids range?
- Which eating occasion (i.e lunch/dinner/snack) did you serve Tilda Kids, and what did you serve it with?
- Having tried Tilda Kids products, would you like to try other Tilda - microwave or dry rice products, outside of the kids range?
- Would you buy Tilda Kids again?

All selected testers will be required to leave feedback on what they thought of the Tilda Kids Rice range both on a thread on Mumsnet and by filling out a short survey. Everyone who completes both sets of feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Pickledbanana Thu 29-Aug-19 13:35:59

Which Tilda Kids rice variant was your child’s favourite?
Sunshine veg
The curry one was surprisingly well received considering they ‘don’t like curry’

Speed of preparation
Vegetable content

- Which eating occasion (i.e lunch/dinner/snack) did you serve Tilda Kids, and what did you serve it with?
Dinners and lunch
With tinned mackerel for a decent lunch in under 1 minute!
As a side with fishfingers
On it’s own with extra cheese

- Having tried Tilda Kids products, would you like to try other Tilda - microwave or dry rice products, outside of the kids range?
Possibly-would prefer a larger packet that 2 or more people could share

If on offer maybe.
Would prefer them all to be whole grain
My kids are older (7 & 10) so portion size on the small side for them but useful for quick lunch

Sagradafamiliar Thu 29-Aug-19 13:39:28

Thanks for the opportunity to test, I had forgotten I'd applied, was chuffed to answer the door to a box of these. DS2 was excited to try them as he helped open the box!

He was happy enough with all of them, especially the sunshine veg one. The cheesey one is still to be tried.

They are a good portion size, fast food option which is still healthy and I liked the quantity of vegetables the sachets contained.

We served at dinner times although lunch would've also been a good choice. The wholegrain (?) one we served with pitta sticks, cucumber and chicken, and similar with the others. No extra veg was really needed such as sweetcorn. The paella one, I made a stir fry with and mixed in some egg. Might make a frittata with the one we have left.

Yes, I already buy the coconut ones and lime ones.

Most definitely, depending on price. I think these make mealtimes easy.

MustardScreams Thu 29-Aug-19 14:17:02

The cheese and tomato rice. Although they were all eaten, which is a first for fusspot dd.

The ease of dinner, just steam some fish & veg and heat the rice up. Made life very easy after a long day at work, Dd loved helping to year the packet open and pop it in the microwave, which I’m sure encouraged her to actually try them, And knowing there is nothing grim in the rice, just veggies and spices.

I served them as dinner. Although they would definitely work as the base of a cold rice salad for lunches etc.

Definitely! I’m not a huge rice fan, but I’ve had a look at the other ranges and there’s grains and flavoured rices that I will be adding to my next shop.

- Would you buy Tilda Kids again

100%. Dd is so fussy it was a miracle she tried them, but for her to actually enjoy them is another level. Great product.

SayOohLaLa Thu 29-Aug-19 14:18:42

Testers please answer the following question:

Cheese and tomato (DD was helping me scrape it off the plate onto her highchair tray and shovelling it into her mouth with both hands) followed by the mild curry. She likes tomato so I expected this to be popular with her.

The range of rice options and how easy the rice packets are to stash e.g. in a bag if we were away for the weekend or camping.

We served them at teatime either alone (cheese and tomato flavour) where she'd already had a nursery tea, or with a form of protein (DD is veggie so quorn or scrambled egg etc.)

Yes, the convenience is appealing.

Yes, especially the flavours that DD really liked. We have complicated family means with veggies / non-veggies eating at different times and it helps pull her a quick meal together if the adult veggie meal isn't suitable for her or if she's being looked after by extended family.

MakeTeaNotWar Thu 29-Aug-19 14:22:08

We liked the mild curry flavour best.

I liked the convenience of something quick and easy, good portion size and a store cupboard staple.

Dinner, served with grilled salmon and also with roast chicken.

Yes - though I've bought the long grain and the basmati rice before

They are quite expensive to be part of the weekly shop, but yes to have as back-ups in the cupboard

Hermie12 Thu 29-Aug-19 14:27:44

- Which Tilda Kids rice variant was your child’s favourite? unfortunately she just wasnt keen on any of them
- What is your favourite thing about the Tilda Kids range? convenience, good portion size
- Which eating occasion (i.e lunch/dinner/snack) did you serve Tilda Kids, and what did you serve it with? with dinner
- Having tried Tilda Kids products, would you like to try other Tilda - microwave or dry rice products, outside of the kids range? probably the dry rice products.
- Would you buy Tilda Kids again? no. my daughter didnt like it unfortunately. I also felt the rice was a bit mushy and I think it was the texture that was an issue for her

MrsMoggy Thu 29-Aug-19 14:28:29

The cheese and tomato as it had the least obvious amount of vegetables and he’s fussy!

Speed of cooking, 40 seconds incredible

At dinnertimes with chicken and sauce or just on its own

Already use tilda variations of rice, particularly like the firecracker and Mexican

Yes if the price was right but normal tilda is still our preference

SheRaTheAllPowerful Thu 29-Aug-19 14:29:31

The Mild Curry

Easy and convenience of cooking

Lunch, first tried on its own and then we did them with Chicken/prawns/Tofu agree that they need seasoning, my daughter is 8 so we did add a tiny amount of salt! I know that’s not the done thing on MN but everything needs seasoning a little preferably whilst cooking, I totally understand that younger children you can’t do this.
We have to provide snack for school so rice cakes would work.

If on offer probably as they are good store cupboard back up.

EmilyK83 Thu 29-Aug-19 14:30:32

The cheese and tomato - he wolfed it down!

The variety - there's a variant to serve with all sorts of different meals. Also the fact that it was quick to prepare, and a decent temperature when it came out the microwave - no waiting for an eternity for it to cool down!

Both lunch and dinner. We tried different varieties with a homemade tomato and veggie sauce, with tinned tuna, with chopped chicken, with meatballs

I already buy some of the Tilda dry rice range

Yes, I would - great way to add extra veg to mealtimes. Some flavours better than others, though - paella really wasn't a hit

SparkleJoy Thu 29-Aug-19 14:43:24

Mild Curry

What is your favourite thing about the Tilda Kids range?
Range of flavours and quick prep time

Which eating occasion (i.e lunch/dinner/snack) did you serve Tilda Kids, and what did you serve it with?
Dinner or Lunch

Having tried Tilda Kids products, would you like to try other Tilda - microwave or dry rice products, outside of the kids range?
Yes, my one year old loved them and even my veg/rice hating fiancé shared a packet with her.

Would you buy Tilda Kids again?
Most definitely!!

MooKnee Thu 29-Aug-19 14:44:17

they liked them all but sunshine veg was fave
Microwaveable and quick with added joy of feeling healthier convenience option
dinner
yes definitely
certainly will, very pleased

Candyperfumegirl Thu 29-Aug-19 14:51:34

Cheese & Tomato

Easy to find suitable for vegetarians sign. Lots of options for vegetarians.

I did the cheese & Tomato for my kids age 4 & 10 with a buddah bowl. My teen daughter and I shared a uncle Ben's Mexican rice instead. (pic attached)

I served the curry one alongside a Paneer curry again for the youngest two, the rest of us had naan bread instead.

No

Probably not. I think the small portion size would work well for under 3's but since I'm cooking for 3 kids I'd need quite a few packs. Id more likely but a regular large pack. Full price is £1.15 which is quite expensive for what you get. I'm also trying to reduce plastic waste so am avoiding packaging like this when possible.

onemorecakeplease Thu 29-Aug-19 15:04:58

The vegetable and wholegrain
They liked the flavours and the little portion sizes. Just right for one child!
We had it for dinner with butter chicken
Yes definitely
- Would you buy Tilda Kids again
Yes, they didn’t smell too good in the packets but once cooked they were lovely!

Its2oclockinthemorning Thu 29-Aug-19 15:14:44

Cheese and tomato
Lots of different flavours to try. Better than plain rice.
With fish or chicken at lunch and dinner
Yes
Yes

Biancadelrioisback Thu 29-Aug-19 15:16:29

The curry one

What is your favourite thing about the Tilda Kids range?
Very little. Liked the packets!

Which eating occasion (i.e lunch/dinner/snack) did you serve Tilda Kids, and what did you serve it with?
Lunch and dinner

Having tried Tilda Kids products, would you like to try other Tilda - microwave or dry rice products, outside of the kids range?
Probably not

Would you buy Tilda Kids again?
No tbh. It was so bland! My 2 years old does like strong flavour which these lacked

Iknowacrackingowlsanctuary Thu 29-Aug-19 15:19:23

Which Tilda Kids rice variant was your child’s favourite? My two didn’t really like them, I’d say sunshine rice probably went down best.

- What is your favourite thing about the Tilda Kids range? Convenience and veg portion.

- Which eating occasion (i.e lunch/dinner/snack) did you serve Tilda Kids, and what did you serve it with? Lunch and dinner. Tried with chicken, salmon or curry for the curry rice.

- Having tried Tilda Kids products, would you like to try other Tilda - microwave or dry rice products, outside of the kids range? Yes, I enjoyed it and have bought the adult microwave rices since.

- Would you buy Tilda Kids again? No, my 2 year old picked out some of the veg but my 1 year old hardly managed a mouthful

CardinalCat Thu 29-Aug-19 15:20:04

Curry. The 3 year old felt so grown up and told everybody at nursery the next day that he had had curry for his dinner the night before!

Convenience- everything about the product was easy from storage/ shape of package for transporting, preparation.... and the good portion size meant less waste.

Usually dinners (i.e. evening meal) as the carb portion of that meal, along with some protein and more veg.

We sometimes buy (and like) your adult packets already, although supermarkets' own brand versions do largely the same job in my opinion.

Yes, I already have bought more curry and sunshine smile

DobbyTheHouseElk Thu 29-Aug-19 15:23:38

Vegetable Paella

Has to be the speed. Could make a wholesome meal in no time, which is brilliant for after school clubs. I added sausages or egg.

Supper, with cold sausages, or burger

Yes, I wasn’t really aware of microwave rice before, it’s very good. Quick and easy.

Yes, for convenience. Although they are a bit pricey

hittheroadjack1 Thu 29-Aug-19 15:27:10

My son enjoyed them all but the paella was his absolute favourite

- What is your favourite thing about the Tilda Kids range? How quick it was to cook and serve

Teatime with prawns or chicken

I have previously tried the coconut and coconut, chilli and lemongrass rice. All delicious and would definitely buy again.

I would because it was quick and easy, perfect for when my son has clubs not long after school.

CrumblyMumbly Thu 29-Aug-19 15:37:17

Cheese and Tomato closely followed by Sunshine Veg (great name - I've started putting sunshine in front of veg the kids normally wouldn't eat - sunshine kale anyone!)

So quick and convenient.
Dinner usually with chicken or fish and extra veg.
Have used Tilda rice and pouches for years and will carry on enjoying the whole range.

- Would you buy Tilda Kids again? Possibly if the whole family isn't having rice otherwise will share the regular range to cut down on plastic used.

Thanks for letting us try something new - nice to know our feedback counts.

PickledChicory Thu 29-Aug-19 15:37:24

Sunshine veg
Easy and convenient. V quick
Tea. Dd had it on its own but ds preferred with something and had with sausages or cold chicken
Yes
Yes provided price acceptable

sherbertlemon17 Thu 29-Aug-19 15:48:58

The whole grain and veg one. It looked a bit stodgy but my 4 yo loves the flavour.

Good variety of flavours. Quick and easy to make in the microwave.

Dinner with nuggets and fajitas or on their own at lunch.

Yes, I’d be interested in the adults microwave pouches.

Yes.

GrumpySausage Thu 29-Aug-19 16:53:06

My one year old loved the mild curry. She wasn't so keen on the vegetable paella though-actually refused to finish the packet.

The convenience. Both my kids love rice but I can't always be bothered to cook it. Now no excuses!

I mainly used it for dinners. I didn't always use it with something else but have used it with ham, chicken etc.

I have since tried the Tilda microwave rices for adults and am a big fan-some great flavours.
Yes definitely. Good for when you're in a rush.

MrsFrTedCrilly Thu 29-Aug-19 16:58:57

She liked them all apart from the tomato & cheese.
Convenient and low in salt, perfect for a quick lunch for a child who hates bread!
We had at lunch with veg and hummus and as part of an evening meal with fish and vegetables
Yes we use the rice pouches occasionally for the mummy can’t be arsed cooking days shock
Yes for my youngest if we were camping or she asked.
Thanks for including us in the testing, it’s great to find alternative quick lunch ideas

SamsMumsCateracts Thu 29-Aug-19 17:33:59

My DC (5 & 7), both had different favourites. DS5 loved the paella and DS7 loved the sunshine vegetables. Neither were keen on the cheese and tomato and DS5 found the curry "too tingly" on his tongue, although he usually like a bit of spice.

I really like that the ingredients include nothing that I wouldn't have in my own kitchen, ie no preservatives or chemicals, just pure food.

They each chose a packet to have with a fish dinner, vegetables and salmon fillets. They also had the other packets at lunchtime on a different day (a bit of each as they were very keen to try them!)

We already buy a number of Tilda products, it's a brand that we use a lot and will continue to do so.

Yes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »