Talk

Advanced search

Find out what Mumsnet users thought of OGGS® Mini Vanilla Cupcakes

(194 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

YanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-Aug-19 11:04:15

This is the feedback thread for the 200 Mumsnet users who have been testing OGGS® vegan friendly Mini Vanilla Cupcakes.

Here’s what OGGS® has to say: “Whether you’re after something a little bit lighter or in need of a bite-sized treat, these marvellous mini cupcakes are the perfect snack for the whole family. Baked using our OGGS® Aquafaba, an all-plant liquid egg substitute made from chickpea water, they are vegan friendly and ethical from plant to plate. And at less than 99kcal each and made with less sugar, you don’t have to feel so guilty about scoffing a whole box!”

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the following set of questions, as well as completing the short survey we’ve emailed to you.

What did you/your children think of the taste of OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes?
What occasions would you purchase OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes for?
What makes OGGS® different from other supermarket brands?
Would you recommend OGGS® to a friend and why is that?
Will you purchase OGGS® products in the future?

All testers who give their feedback on both this thread and the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

Newmumma83 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:19:55

The taste was very nice, had the sweetness that you expect of a cupcake , the topping had a nice consistency and was very much like butter icing I was surprised how nice it tasted. My friend and friends children aged 11 and 6 also like it ... they finished off the box to Put it mildly I am taking the other pack you supplied to my cousins sons 4 th birthday party 🥳

Mostly for birthday parties incase if allergies or gatherings with vegan family members, but they do taste and look good so wouldn’t be against purchasing for the simple pleasure of consuming them know they are cruelty free yummies ... the ultimate feel good factors

It looks young in terms of the packaging design .. I like how the cupcakes are simple yet eye catching sometimes less is more. Also you can have 9 in one packet where often specially dietary food you only
Get one or two of said items per purchase/

They taste like good cake.

Yes I believe I would

Side note :- I was having friends round and got them all to try.

My friend really Liked they were egg and dairy free as her youngest is intollerant to this... also the added vitamins ... but she was worried about the number of E numbers in them this factor turned her from a potential purchaser to less likely .. as her child struggles with these

This currently isn’t a concern for myself but worth a mention

Snazzygoldfish Tue 27-Aug-19 12:22:08

We didn't really enjoy the taste of them sorry. The icing on top was far too sweet and the cake tasted a bit odd.

For a child's party/play date of a vegan/child with dairy/egg allergies were attending.

The packaging was really lovely and the cakes were very attractive to look at.

Possibly for a vegan family or a family with a child with allergies but not otherwise.

No, my son was very sick after eating one of the cakes, almost certainly due to the hot weather however, at three he made the link between the cake and being sick but it means we won't be buying
Them in the future.

cautiousoptimist1 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:23:26

Adults thought that they had a strange taste and aftertaste and possibly too strong with vanilla. They were very moist though. 3 year old liked it but would choose a different one next time.

Birthday party if I had to cater for vegan diet.

Appeals to children with bright packaging and size. Price seems expensive.

No as I didn’t enjoy the taste and I think the price is high but it’s nice to have the option for vegan food appealing to children.

Only if I need to cater to a special diet.

Thank you for letting us test these.

bertdynamite Tue 27-Aug-19 12:24:13

What did we think of the taste?
My 3 teenagers liked the taste. I thought the sponge was good but I found the icing very sweet. If the cakes had been any bigger it would have been sickeningly sweet, but it was ok as mini size.

On what occasions would you purchase?
I would buy if we had vegan guests and hadn't made anything ourselves. I think I'd also buy them for parties as I like the size, and a lot of supermarket cakes are too sweet anyway.

What makes them different and would you recomnend?

I like that they are vegan and the fact that my children couldn't taste the difference is great. I will definitely recommend them.

MrsPworkingmummy Tue 27-Aug-19 12:39:34

What did you/your children think of the taste of OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes? We tested the cakes as a multi generational family at lunchtime. The children, aged 7 and 18 months, loved the cakes, particularly the frosting. The adults in the group commented that they wouldn't have known they were egg free cakes had I not told them.

What occasions would you purchase OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes for? Packed lunches or the perfect addition to a coffee morning

What makes OGGS® different from other supermarket brands? Great quality packaging. The fact the brand is vegan friendly is also a positive. The cakes looked delicious and fresh too.

Would you recommend OGGS® to a friend and why is that? Yes, I'd recommend them to friends with children as they are a good portion size and there was a good quantity in each pack.

Will you purchase OGGS® products in the future? Yes, definitely.

Thorilicious Tue 27-Aug-19 12:42:08

What did you/your children think of the taste of OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes? We loved them, they disappeared very quickly.
What occasions would you purchase OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes for? As a snack for the ds's
What makes OGGS® different from other supermarket brands? I thought they tasted much nicer than other brands.
Would you recommend OGGS® to a friend and why is that? I would, if the price was right. I was really impressed with the taste.
Will you purchase OGGS® products in the future? Again, if the price was right. I feel they're a bit expensive at the moment for what they are.

Shannith Tue 27-Aug-19 12:44:16

Thanks for.choosing us - our first product test

Taste

DD predictably loved them as she loves sweet things. For adults (vegan and non vegan) most agreed they were nice as one bite things but too sweet to eat many.** I slightly marred this by managing three.

DD's dairy intolerant friend loved them.

*Occasion
As a vegan alternative for parties, picnics and sleepovers where I cater for food choices/intolerances - so most really. Saves me having to make separate things.
Difference*

They look attractive, especially to children and would be hovered up irrespective of any food issues.
Bite sized. No waste as most DC I know tend to eat the icing and leave the cake on normal sized cupcakes.
Packaging makes them easy to transport. It's robust enough to survive packing for a trip/picnic.
Perfect for parties where the pre-made vegan food can sometimes look a little boring.
Perfect for busy parents who care about including fun food for children with different dietary needs. *
*Recommend
Yes, especially for parties.
Recommended to DDs friends mum - her DD can't eat diary and her mum is always looking for treats she can have and share with friends. These are ideal.

*Buy
Yes, for occasions described above. Price point is a little high, but different colours designs would be good.

Thanks

wizbitismynizbit Tue 27-Aug-19 12:47:00

My daughter and I really liked the taste. I also gave the other packet to a mum friend of mine but we both agreed that there was a slight aftertaste that we couldn’t identify. Otherwise very yum.

I would buy them for a treat or for a birthday party.

I like the fact they are vegan and diary free. I eat diary but was surprised that I couldn’t really tell the difference as the cakes were so moist and light (especially the icing). I like the fact they use Aquafaba as an ingredient.

Yes I would recommend OGGs to friends as I have a few vegan friends who would enjoy them. In fact I think a lot of people would enjoy them and wouldn’t realise they were diary-free.

Yes, I would purchase OGG’s products in future but The price would have to be in line with competitors.

3boysandabump Tue 27-Aug-19 12:47:58

I wasn’t a great fan of them but then I’m not a big fan of vanilla cupcakes anyway.
Children all liked them. My youngest especially liked them.

I would purchase them to have at home so my youngest could have them for a treat when his brothers are having a similar treat. I’d also use them for a party.
We took them out with us for a picnic as well.

They’re vegan which is important to us as my youngest is allergic to eggs and dairy and I’m breastfeeding him so I’m also free of these things. A product being vegan is the easiest way for me to tell it’s safe dot is to eat.

I have recommended them in a Facebook group for children with allergies and their parents.

Yes I will buy them again if I see them.

pinkcardi Tue 27-Aug-19 12:51:04

We all enjoyed the taste, my 5yr old said the icing was '4000 times delicious'

They are quite expensive so I would probably buy them when I needed a dairy or egg free treat for my daughter's friend.

They dairy and egg free, and low sugar.

Yes, I would recommend for those who needed dairy or egg free, but not for every day due to price

Yes, they were tasty, but only when I need dairy or egg free. I was impressed but at £4+ they would be special occasion only

misskatamari Tue 27-Aug-19 12:54:21

We liked them. Both kids said "yum yum yum yum yum!" When I asked them how they would rate them. Dh really liked them as well. I thought they were a bit sweet and had a bit of a strong vanilla flavour, but I did eat them and enjoyed them.

I would probably only buy them if I was catering to someone who was vegan. Either at a birthday party or just having friends over.

They're vegan which is great.

Yes I would. Everyone in our house enjoyed them, they were small, so a great treat for kids if you don't want them having a massive cake.

Will you purchase OGGS® products in the future? I may, if I see them for a good price or at hosting a vegan. Dh has said he will "definitely buy some" though as he really enjoyed them smile so that's a yes from this household

Scoleah Tue 27-Aug-19 12:56:25

Loved them, just enough sugar for a little cupcake to satisfy a craving
Parties or special occasions
Much smaller than any supermarket brand and much more expensive
I’d recommend as they tasted delicious but the price is way too high for 9 mini cupcakes
No I couldn’t justify paying over £4 for 9 mini cupcakes.
I would if they were a lower Price or maybe if they were even bigger

ShirleyB50 Tue 27-Aug-19 12:57:49

They were quite nice - if with a lightly odd aftertaste - DD thought maybe too much vanilla taste? Having said that, all cupcakes were eaten within 24 hours by hollow legged teens in this house.

Would definitely buy again as tea time treat for vegan friend and her vegan daughter.
Don't know of any packaged vegan cupcakes on the market
I definitely would as they were nice as a vegetarian treat
Would do if I'm feeling rich - as they are a bit pricey at £4 + for 12 mini cupcakes. £2.99 would do it, and Oggs would sell a few more at that price.

angelfacecuti75 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:10:31

t survey we’ve emailed to you.

Thet are vegan and allergen free which i think is unusual as I've not been abld to find any like this.
I think I'd recommend them to my vegab friend as I know she misses cake !
Yes tget were a lovely tasty treat.

Freshstart40 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:12:21

I was thrilled to be selected to try these and so wanted to like them..... but unfortunately I didn't. They were very dense and sweet. They also left an odd aftertaste, which reminded me of liquorice.
Myself, husband and children tried them. Also my nieces and parents. My youngest child loved them, really loved them! Probably as they were soooo sweet. The others all ate them but my parents also mentioned the aftertaste.
I think they'd be great for children's parties if they aren't expensive. They also look very pretty.
Thank you for the opportunity to try them but sadly I won't be buying them in the future.

angelfacecuti75 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:12:21

They ^ vegan
I'dps id purchase oggs cupcakes for birthdaya and as a nice treat for myself/my family or my friend who's kids have allergies . Or my friend who's vegan.

Oct18mummy Tue 27-Aug-19 13:25:08

Five family members tried them and my husband who is dairy free really enjoyed them however the rest of us thought they were very sweet with a strange aftertaste and we weren’t keen on the sweets on top of the icing.

The sponge looked perfect and as a cake maker was so was impressed that no eggs had been used. I think it was the icing with the extra sweets on top which ruined it. The sweets made the consistency weird and crunchy.

I think these cakes would be really good in chocolate flavour or other flavours.

I think also excellent for vegans/dairy free as not many good cakes in this market and I would buy these again for my husband or guests who had these diet restrictions. But for the mainstream market I believe there are better cakes out there to choose from.

Dairy and egg free. Low in calories

Only if they have dietary requirements

Only for guests that have dietary requirements

TheOvulator Tue 27-Aug-19 13:34:54

Everybody liked them. We were surprised there was no weird taste. They were a tiny bit dry.

If we had a vegan friend coming to the house, but they are far, far too expensive for everyday treats - £4.95 for 9, when the non-vegan alternative can be found for about £1 in Aldi.

I found the branding a bit odd - plant based, cool, but nowhere on the packet did it actually say vegan. I'm sure this was intentional, but as a non-vegan, buying for vegans, I would have been hesitant about buying this because I wouldn't be sure enough they could have it.

To a vegan friend, absolutely. It is a shame though that there is still a premium to be paid for a plant-based diet that should, by rights, be less expensive.

Yes, if we have vegan friends to visit, but too expensive to put in our regular treats.

GooodMythicalMorning Tue 27-Aug-19 13:36:58

Pretty packaging, eye catching and very informative. Unfortunately none of us liked them. Initially when we opened the boxes they smelled very chemically and artificial, quite a powerful smell. The buttercream was ok but nothing amazing but again cake was very artificial tasting and also claggy to eat. They also fell apart very easily before we ate them.
There was also a very bitter after taste that lasted hours! Not even my toothpaste could get rid of it weirdly.

I wouldn't purchase these.

What makes OGGS® different from other supermarket brands? The fact they're egg and dairy free is great but maybe play about with the recipe so they taste more natural. Choc flavour may be better as its a flavour that would mask whatever flavour was putting us off.

No I wouldn't. I also didn't like that though they were egg and dairy free the factory they were made in wasn't.

Depends if the recipe could be improved. I really liked the packaging and the premise but the taste was such a let down.

BristolMum96 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:44:28

Quite horrible. Overly sweet and chemically.

I wouldn't purchase.

Normally brands aren't nice but edible, I'm afraid we didn't eat more than a couple each of Oggs.

No, taste was very artifical and sickening.

No!

elrider Tue 27-Aug-19 13:51:34

I thought they were nice enough - not the tastiest thing ever that I'm going to rave about but still nice! My 2 year old kept asking for more so I think that's a thumbs up, and everyone else had 2 each so they must have liked them!

Birthdays, like we've just used them for, or having guests round. They're pretty much the only times we have cake anyway.

They are vegan, for a start, which is great and I haven't seen a big selection of vegan cakes since recently changing our diet.

Yes, as we have changed to a plant-based diet and most people we know are at least trying to cut down on animal products so they'd appreciate the recommendation even though they're not vegan. They would be good for kids birthday parties, too, although more expensive than the usual selections.

Yes, I've already bought the lemon cake for DH's birthday the other day which went down quite well and I'll try any others I see!

ItsOnAmericasTorturedBrow Tue 27-Aug-19 13:52:51

I thought they were very moist and delicious. No aftertaste noticed.

Parties and school cake sales would be great

They are vegan!

Yes a great vegan alternative

Yes depending on price

Groovee Tue 27-Aug-19 13:54:04

What did you/children think of the taste?
Dd, Ds and I thought they were slightly dry in texture but that the butter cream icing had a good taste and the cake tasted like cake.

What Occasions would you buy?
I would buy them for friends who are coming round who are dairy free or vegan.

What makes Oggs different
They look like normal cakes, aren't wrapped separately like many free from ranges and could pass for everyone to eat without making anyone stand out with their dietary requirements.

Would you recommend to friends
I would recommend to those who would suit their needs and would make them feel less different.

Would you purchase in the future
If they were made gluten free too they would be a great option for cake days at work. I might buy them if someone dairy free was coming to visit.

Groovee Tue 27-Aug-19 13:54:46

Oh I only got to taste 1, Ds had 2 and Dd and dh devoured 15 between them 🙈

ohdannyboy Tue 27-Aug-19 14:06:13

We love the frosting - yum, the cake was moist, but there was an slight aftertaste but it would not put me off, the size is just perfect for a treat, considering they are egg and dairy free they are quite lovely.so cute, had to buy them. DS2 ''Absolutely scrummy, no artificial after tastes, no weird texture, just lovely fluffy super soft vanilla sweet-but-not-too-sweet Vegan goodness. Well done Oggs! "

What occasions would you purchase OGGS® mini vanilla cupcakes for
?

Probably a birthday party when my guests have a egg or dairy intolerance which a few of DS2 friends have - they are the the perfect party table addition.

The decoration, they look lovely, but are quite pricey

I would, yes, but only as a treat, maybe at the end of every term, and part of a party/christmas buffet.

Though I was really happy to test the cakes, and liked them, I won't buy them, they are quite pricey, I can make my own for half the price, but if am in a rush, I would pop a box in my trolley.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »