Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MNers think of Smartick’s online after-school maths programme

(256 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Jun-19 09:54:34

This is the feedback thread for the Mumsnet users who tried and tested Smartick’s online after-school maths programme for children. This product test was open to all UK MNers with at least one child between the ages of 4 and 14, that have access to an internet-enabled computer/laptop or tablet.

Here’s what Smartick have to say: “Smartick is an award-winning, AI-based, online maths programme designed to develop mathematical abilities in children ages 4 to 14. Smartick promotes an understanding of maths through personalised and accelerated learning by adapting to each child's level and learning pace in real time, allowing them to work according to their maths needs and capability. Each child has a unique and personalised path that constantly adjusts to help fill in gaps in knowledge.

There are more than 20,000 users of Smartick in over 100 countries. We've collaborated with the MIT G-Lab and been published by Harvard Business Review and Forbes as well as featured as an app favourite by Apple.”

Testers please answer the questions below:
1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful?
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick?
4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math
programmes you may have used?
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills?
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not?

All testers will be required to leave feedback on this thread on Mumsnet and also fill in a short survey. All who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 3 MNers will win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

LucyBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 19-Nov-19 11:23:32

Thank you to all who took part in this product test. The winners of the prize draw are @fixyourgardengate , @shutzpa and @Friolero smile Congratulations!

SheRaTheAllPowerful Fri 25-Oct-19 16:19:33

@JustineBMumsnet we’re the winners drawn on this?

Scoleah Wed 31-Jul-19 15:55:19

Were the winners drawn? smile@JustineBMumsnet

carz1985 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:06:14

So sorry this is late the emails have been going in to junk.

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? She's very good at maths and needs something more than what's taught for her age

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? They did phone and left a message which was nice of them.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? Yes they loved it. I like how it has a separate bit for parents and that you get the emails saying how they have done.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math
programmes you may have used? My daughter uses hit the button at school which is fun but this is different and fun.

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I think it's fantastic and definitely needed.

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not
Yes definitely as its fantastic and my daughter loves it

sally2489 Tue 25-Jun-19 20:17:54

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?

To improve on his current marks at school.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful?

Never had the need to contact anyone.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick?

My child enjoyed the fun games, it wasn’t a boring style of learning, it was enjoyable for him.
I enjoyed that he was learning in a fun way and enjoying himself.

I have not used other online or traditional maths programs.

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills?

I thought this was a good idea to teach 11+ style of critical thinking at such an early age.

I would definitely recommend as it was a fun style of learning that my son enjoyed, and it was not a battle to get him to do his work.

YellowNBlue Tue 25-Jun-19 09:42:04

Message deleted by MNHQ as it was posted in the wrong place.

JanuarySkies Mon 24-Jun-19 11:35:29

My child loves maths so it's something he's often asking to do. His concentration isnt always great so we were hoping timed tasks may help him concentrate and complete work.

I had an answerphone message and at that point i had no issues with the program so didn't ring back. I felt able to contact them if needed.

He loved having the little character to play with at the end and seeing his score as he went through the questions. He also enjoyed being able to do corrections and it helped him to see where at times he'd made mistakes that he was able to identify and correct.
We liked that it assessed his level and I really liked having an email at the end of each session breaking down his progress.
One thing i didn't like was the option of adding friends - we saw this on the first session and told DS not to use this part of the program. Regardless of whether they can't actually chat with friends, only challenge to competitions I wasn't comfortable with it - I feel this should have been made really clear at the start.

I would say it's better than another program we used mainly due to the feedback and being able to clearly track progress and progression. I see it as a good addition to traditional maths.

Great as these are important skills that can transfer to other areas of the curriculum.

Yes i would apart from the cost. The program itself is great as it is fairly short, achievable and child friendly; however financially it's quite a commitment.

totatola Mon 24-Jun-19 11:03:13

Sorry, just to add that i really liked the email feedback that I received after DD completed a session!

totatola Mon 24-Jun-19 10:58:07

DD(6) is a pretty smart kid but finds maths “boring” compared to other subjects so is often reluctant to work on it. For that reason I often look for interesting websites/apps to encourage her to work on her maths

No, the website was easy enough to navigate so didn’t need to contact anyone

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about
DD liked changing her avatar and playing games. She also liked it when I challenged her to receive a certain number of ticks during a session
I liked that the programme adapts to her level so gives her more difficult questions in her strong areas to keep challenging her. Also items in the shop for her avatar cost varying amount of ticks which encouraged her to keep going to receive more ticks and complete sessions.

We used mathematics through her school when she was in reception but I prefer smarticks as it adapts to her level

I think this is great as they are such important skills to have

Yes and no. I think it’s a great programme but does seem very expensive. I guess if you would otherwise pay for a personal tutor then it’s not so bad but that’s not what I’m personally looking for, I’m just trying to find interesting ways to encourage my daughter to keep learning and I can’t really justify the price for that. It may be worth it for children who are struggling and require extra help with maths if parents aren’t in a position to pay for a tutor

HaveTeaWillSurvive Sun 23-Jun-19 11:28:44

DS is lacking in confidence about his maths ability, I wanted something to motivate him.

No, we had no issues.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about

DS found it easy to use and liked the earning stars. I liked the emails feedback.

Our school also uses sumdog, I found it fairly equivalent from a user / child perspective but I liked the feedback.

I thought the variety was good.

I would to someone who was looking for extra support with their child’s maths ability. DS took some pressing into using it though so I would also caveat that as it’s a reasonably expensive way to work on maths.

Sammyislost Sat 22-Jun-19 19:59:06

What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths

My eldest really struggles with maths at school. He is so close to being where he needs to be, but he finds it hard, and boring. And with my youngest I would want him to start to get ahead now so he doesn’t fall behind.

Yes they phoned me, and it was good that they phoned to ask if I needed any help at all. They reassured me that it’s great for the kids to practise mental math and to congratulate them for their achievements.

They liked that it felt like a game! I liked that they were learning, and I loved the instant report after each session. And to congratulate them on how well they did!

I haven’t really used anything except for the coolmathgames website which is mainly just nonsense games? I much prefer Smartick.

Amazing. I know we put a lot of pressure on our children, but these are the skills that help throughout life.

Yes I would and I already have. Because it’s an easier way to help children do extra work towards their education. It’s a short session each day and little by little they have shown improvements!

boptanana Sat 22-Jun-19 13:32:33

To build confidence in maths
No
They enjoyed the games and variety.
My main gripe is that we couldn’t access via phone as my girls can’t use a laptop without adult support. I don’t always have the time to sit with them so we didn’t use the program much at all.
The content was good
Not unless it could be phone friendly. If that was the case and the price was reasonable then definitely.

QuestionsAboutDS Sat 22-Jun-19 08:46:12

DS (14 in year 10) is autistic, and although very academically able has struggled with maths over the last couple of years for various reasons. Because the subject continually builds on what's been learned in previous topics these shaky foundations are disastrous. We have Hegarty Maths which is OK, but not really hitting the spot. Hence I thought Smartick would be worth a try even though he's right at the top of its age band.

No, didn't feel the need.

At first he found it really engaging and addictively game like. He didn't do most of the side stuff, which is really aimed at younger children. He came home each afternoon and spontatnrously asked to do it.
I liked the fact that he was motivated to do it every day, and the way I could see his skills improving. A couple of the topics covered were ones which he was just giving up with previously and now he's completely mastered them. I'm not sure what it is about the method that worked but they were certainly doing something right.
I also thought the email reports were excellent, very informative.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used?
Compared with Hegarty Maths it's more engaging, but the child has less control over what they do. DS has found himself stuck with the same easier content for a few days now, which I think is meant to build confidence after a day of very poor results, but actually has bored him so much that he's gone off it. I don't think there's a way to say "No, please don't give me any more of this topic, I'm bored to tears with it" I might ring the helpline to find out.

All in favour, it adds to the child's enjoyment and it helps with the crucial exam skill of reading the actual question.

If a child is struggling with fundamentals then I'd definitely say it was worth a try. Although DS has rather gone off it now, DH and I have seen a transformative change in his ability on a couple of key topics.

MegBusset Fri 21-Jun-19 22:51:58

DS2 is good at maths - it's his favourite subject and I thought it would be an interesting challenge for him.

No, I didn't talk to anyone.

He liked the format although found the initial assessment a bit frustrating as some of it was topics he hadn't learned at school yet. I liked the email updates.

The only other one we've used is TT Rock Stars which tbh DS2 prefers as he can interact with his classmates on there.

I'm in favour of it as it can be transferred to many areas of study.

Yes if they have a reluctant maths learner. I'm not sure DS2 got enough added benefit out of it to justify paying for it.

freeingNora Fri 21-Jun-19 22:50:08

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? the children needed support but in a fun way
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? no I didn't

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? Problem solving and ease of use
I haven't used any others
We preferred them to straight forward problems
Yes its an easy way to build up skills

Bawdrip Fri 21-Jun-19 22:26:19

1. Main motivation- my children are honeschooled currently and we have tried several different websites and apps for maths to varying degrees of success. This one has honestly been a huge hit with all 3 of my children.
2. Smartick phoned me to check everuthing was ok and were very polite and helpful.
3. My middle son loves the idea of collecting and spending ticks and has eagerly been saving them up. My eldest loved the formatting on the app and the easy to use layout, especially as he is dyslexic.
4. This is dedo Italy the best we have tried as it is constantly adjusting to the level the are at so if it's difficult one day it becomes doable the next.
5. Clearly critical thinking and basic maths skills are vital to all walks of life and this has been an excellent way of daily exercising their brain and improving their skills.
6. Absolutely, I have and will continue to recommend Smartick to all friends, both in main stream school and homeschooled kids. This app is brilliant, and definitely worth the money so I shall continue using it. My two eldest have been getting up at 6.30am and completing their tasks before they even get out of bed! They genuinely enjoy doing it. Thankyou Smartick!

FrootLoops Fri 21-Jun-19 21:17:17

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
My DD lacks confidence in her learning and I thought that this would help her to use maths out of a school setting and increase her confidence.

N/A

My DD enjoyed that games and being able to choose things to buy with her rewards. I liked that it was easy to use and laid out well. It was also nice that there was the option of the questions being read out meaning that reading ability does not impact the maths questions.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used?
My DC use Sumdog with school which is a similar idea but they are a little older than DD(5) who tested Smartick and I felt that Smartick was more age appropriate and user friendly for DD.

I liked the emphasis and it is something I try to do with my DC in all areas of their learning. Being able to apply knowledge to new situations is the most important aspect of learning, in my opinion.

Maybe, depending on the cost and age of the children. My DD really enjoyed using it and reminded me daily that she needs to 'do her maths'.

flipflump Fri 21-Jun-19 18:10:59

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? My son started Reception in September, I was interested to see how he was getting on with maths.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? We hadn’t before ventured into the world of gaming and apps as he’s only 5. So there was a real novelty of having screen time. I liked the ease of navigating around the app.

programmes you may have used? We hadn’t used any before.

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Fantastic, vital life skills

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Absolutely, dependent on cost.

Ubercornsdiscoball Fri 21-Jun-19 14:46:19

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? My daughter is only 4 and in reception at school so I was wondering how she would get on with something like this. She enjoys maths and numbers

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No I didn’t speak to anyone. It seemed pretty straightforward.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? She enjoyed choosing the person and ‘winning’ the stars but the sessions were a bit long for her and not that enjoyable. I liked the way the questions were read out but again I thought the sessions were a bit long.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used? We’ve not used any others

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I didn’t notice it to be completely honest

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? No I think there is more out there at a more reasonable cost I’m afraid

peaches786 Fri 21-Jun-19 13:48:49

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths My daughter is 8 and used to have a fantastic tutor, since her tutor left she lost all confidence in her maths. I wanted her to enjoy learning Maths again.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? Someone did call me but as i didnt know the number I didnt pickup, she left a message and i was confident that if i had any issues there was someone i could to talk to about it.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? My daughter enjoyed it because it also had tutorials and games, i liked it because my daughter could do it by herself then sit with me to make corrections after.
4.^How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math
programmes you may have used?^ I have never used an app before just books, its better because its interactive and easy to understand.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Fantastic, i love it when children can think outside the box or analyse and work through problems on their own, it teaches confidence and independence.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I would recommend if the child had willpower and patience as my daughter was able to read and figure alot out herself. Some children who are lazy may stuggle with the discipline.

Belmo Fri 21-Jun-19 10:36:30

My daughter loves maths and is in the top class at school. I just want to encourage her.

No, I didn’t have any issues.

My daughter absolutely loves it. She especially enjoys the virtual world, spending her ticks and having a pet - that’s right up her street. But she enjoys the actual sessions too.
I like that I can just leave her to get on with it! And the feedback is really great.

Dd has used sumdog with school - I prefer smartick for having the 15min sessions, and for the feedback.

Brilliant.

Yes I definitely would, because dd has been so engaged with it.

tobypercy Fri 21-Jun-19 08:57:32

Although I'm a mathematician my DS7 struggles with numbers - he keeps up with his class but only just. I want him to love numbers like I do - or at least be reasonable confident and have the numerical skills he needs to follow his love of science.

I found the layout of the website a little unclear but my son was happy to explore until he found his way round. We didn't seek help from the Smartick people.

My son enjoyed most of the sessions and particularly liked the options for spending the reward points. He is saving up to "buy" a dog - it takes quite a lot of points so that's currently providing him with an incentive to do his sessions. I like the fact that he gets extra points if he goes back to correct any questions he got wrong, it's great at encouraging him to learn from mistakes.

We have also used Hit the Button and Sumdog. This is similar to Sumdog but has a different approach - Sumdog combines games and sums, while Smartick provides games as a reward for doing the sums.

Um... I didn't see this in the programme. It was just answering maths questions the same as the other programmes we've used. Smartick starts by assessing the child's current level which takes a lot of sessions - we've done about 10 sessions and he still seems to be in the assessment phase, perhaps there is more of this approach later on?

Using any maths programme, book, etc. for 15 minutes a day (as recommended by Smartick) will help your child's maths skills. Smartick is as good as any. I do like the email providing feedback on each session (what topics were covered and how well he did in each) and I suppose the regular one saying he didn't complete today's session is useful for some although to me it felt like nagging.

There is quite a lot of content using unfamiliar words and terms, which he found very confusing. For instance a set of questions about dragging beads on a "rekenrek" which I've never heard of. I guess it's American terminology - I'd like to see that focussed more on the UK market for UK customers.

Yes I'd recommend it - but with reservations.

geelee Fri 21-Jun-19 08:07:53

Main motivation was for DD (14) just to get some more practice in lead up to year 10 at school

No, didn’t need to speak to any one.

Fun way to learn - no pressure from having a tutor .

First one used.

Important as that seems to be key in their learning these days, and practical for life .

Maybe a bit young for my DD but definitely recommend for younger children , a fun way to re enforce learning.

MaireM Fri 21-Jun-19 07:40:36

I could not get logged into this after the first week and got no response when contacted

Welliesandpyjamas Fri 21-Jun-19 07:37:55

To offer mental maths challenges outside of school. She doesn’t struggle with maths and I feel as if giving her something outside of school which individually targets her would be beneficial and exciting for her. She has also mentioned a couple of times that maths is for boys, probably a silly idea picked up in a tigt knit group of girls, so am slo trying to counter that early on.
No
DD likes the fact she is allowed on an ipad 😂 and doing maths interactively.
I like the repetition of tasks until an area is mastered.
It is similar in approach to a free one we have tried before.
It can only be a positive. It is a strength of smartick.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I would if some of the glitches were sorted out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »