Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MNers think of Smartick’s online after-school maths programme

(255 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Jun-19 09:54:34

This is the feedback thread for the Mumsnet users who tried and tested Smartick’s online after-school maths programme for children. This product test was open to all UK MNers with at least one child between the ages of 4 and 14, that have access to an internet-enabled computer/laptop or tablet.

Here’s what Smartick have to say: “Smartick is an award-winning, AI-based, online maths programme designed to develop mathematical abilities in children ages 4 to 14. Smartick promotes an understanding of maths through personalised and accelerated learning by adapting to each child's level and learning pace in real time, allowing them to work according to their maths needs and capability. Each child has a unique and personalised path that constantly adjusts to help fill in gaps in knowledge.

There are more than 20,000 users of Smartick in over 100 countries. We've collaborated with the MIT G-Lab and been published by Harvard Business Review and Forbes as well as featured as an app favourite by Apple.”

Testers please answer the questions below:
1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful?
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick?
4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math
programmes you may have used?
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills?
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not?

All testers will be required to leave feedback on this thread on Mumsnet and also fill in a short survey. All who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 3 MNers will win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

StressedMumOfTwo29 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:14:21

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
My son really struggles with maths at school and I have been trying to help so much from home but have learning problems myself I was starting to struggle myself. So when the chance to review this came up i applyed so happy I did.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful?
No I didn't need to I found the site quite easy to get around.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick?
Both my children really love doing this thru ask everyday to do smartick and love changing there little persons hair and what they are wearing.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math
We have used one before that the school had given us but it was to difficult for my son and smartick is so much better for him.

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills?
I think it's quite important to learn number solving as you do need them later on it life but unless you want to do maths in life stuff like algabra I don't think is that important

Yes I have recommend to post of friends and family. Its help my son so much

Whathappenedtothelego Mon 10-Jun-19 10:31:59

1. Main motivation: for DC1 main motivation was improving confidence and reinforcing basics before starting secondary. I'd been thinking of getting a tutor, so jumped at the chance to try this out. For DC2, a maths lover, main motivation was to stretch a bit whilst having fun.

2. I did get an email about someone trying to phone, but didn't feel I needed to get in touch- everything seems v straightforward to me, and working fine.

3. My children both really enjoy the sessions, and they seem to experience plenty of success, so stay motivated. They like having the chance to "earn an extra tick" by correcting their mistakes. And they really enjoy changing their avatars appearance.
I like having everything emailed to me with how they did each time.
I also like that they are supposed to do the sessions without any input from me. DC1 can be over reliant on adult help, and going it alone has been a confidence booster.

4. We have only used Abacus before, through school. My children don't like it as much, I think Smartick feels less pressured for them.

5. I think critical thinking and problems solving skills are a great area to focus on.

6. Yes, I would definitely recommend- though it is fairly expensive.

LoudestRoar Mon 10-Jun-19 12:56:14

What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? Improve his grades and confidence
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No, I didn't need to speak to them.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? He enjoyed earning the stickers, although it was still hard to get him to do it. I enjoyed the ease of it, and that it could be done anywhere.
programmes you may have used? My son had a bit more enthusiasm to use this, so it was more useful than other programmes.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I feel it's very important, although my son did struggle with some of them.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes, I thought it was a brilliant and inventive way of getting kids to do maths.

Yorkstone Mon 10-Jun-19 16:28:44

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
My eldest son (14) struggles with mathematical concepts, I thought that this may help as a focus for additional lessons. My middle son (10) is dyslexic. I wanted to see how dyslexic friendly the platform is.
I did not access help.

My youngest son (8) liked the virtual world, this was a positive incentive to using the platform.
I liked that the questions were read out, this helped my middle son (10) to require less support during his session.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used?

This is the first maths programme we have tried.

I am not sure I noticed the emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving skills.

I liked the concept of the platform. The assessment section was long and my son was losing concentration. My eldest son (14) found the narrator's voice, branding and virtual world 'annoying' and aimed at younger learners than him.
So I would recommend it to a younger audience.

UpToonGirl Mon 10-Jun-19 17:01:21

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?

DS (7) is good at maths in school but struggles with motivation at home.

No

DS enjoyed the visual achievement/progress. I liked that it was child-led.

We haven't used any others.

I didn't feel that was a huge aspect of this programme.

Yes, easy to use, easy to register.

stickerqueen Mon 10-Jun-19 18:06:50

Thank you for letting us test Smartrick

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths.
For us, it's not really additional maths because dd is home educated so it's replaced her mental maths sessions for now.

Yes I emailed Camilla she did try to call me but I missed the call. She was helpful.

She enjoyed the different questions each session.
I liked the short sessions (great for a child who has ADHD and can't stay focused for a long period of time)

It's good for short sessions but is very expensive compared to some sites.
We have used Mathaletics in the past and our daughter says she prefers that too Smartrick because she can pick the topics she wants to do and work on the areas she knows she struggles with. We now use edplace because it covers more subjects and has lots of different levels and can work beyond her level.

Great idea works the brain.

No because of the heafy price tag that comes with it.

mummashine1 Mon 10-Jun-19 18:37:31

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice
We are home educated and was looking for a fun math activity to complete easily at home.
Yes someone phoned me and asked if everything was OK and told me if I needed help I could contact them at any time.

Varying activities, can earn stars that they can then spend on the site, also additional small games to have fun with maths.

The assessment period is much much longer, usually we will do 1 assessment then get on with the programme.

We really enjoyed the way it was set out and would like to see more programmes using this method.

I would recommend however I would really like to see the assessment made shorter as it took up many many sessions which my daughter was not happy about.

PinotAndPlaydough Mon 10-Jun-19 18:38:29

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? They used to enjoy maths work and did it in their own tone for fun, this year at school they have lost that passion and as a result the standard they were working at has dropped.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? Didn’t speak to anyone.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? My daughter says it’s fun and she finds it more interesting than her work at school. She enjoys the avatars and being able to change them she also liked the rewards system which allowed her to “buy” things in the game. I liked the fact that she could do the work alone and that I received feedback via email.
programmes you may have used? Website is easier to use than others we have tried, I think the whole format appeals to children.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I think they are important skills to have, however it wasn’t something that jumped out at me as being hugely emphasised.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I would because it’s a great learning tool, however I don’t actually think any of them would use it because of how much it costs!

hanliying Mon 10-Jun-19 18:39:23

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? To give extra support to what’s been taught at school
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? My kids love the app and have been volunteering working on the app every day. I like that I have been sending report every day on their progress
programmes you may have used? Not used any other app
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? That’s great
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes definitely

Spockster Mon 10-Jun-19 18:39:30

I think she is not achieving her potential. She thinks she’s worse at maths than she is, I want to increase her confidence and show her that she can do well.
Yes, I was worried bc I needed to help her understand the questions. I got good support by email and a phone call.
I like the daily reports and the feeling it’s tailored to her performance. She doesn’t really like it much but enjoys the games and earning stars.
We haven’t used any others
Great; she’s good at that aspect so it increases her confidence
Yes! Depending on cost of course.

Crissylou84 Mon 10-Jun-19 18:47:33

My daughter has always struggled with maths, she has extra help at school and I thought this would be a fun way to help her improve at home.

No

In all honesty my daughter really didn’t like Smartick, she found it very difficult and quickly lost interest as she kept getting questions wrong. She didn’t understand most of the questions she was asked.

I think from our opinion there are much more engaging maths programmes available, the school use not that my daughter enjoys using, however she now finds it too easy to use.

I think it’s good, as long as the child understands it and can actually learn these skills

Personally no I wouldn’t recommend as my daughter didn’t get on with it and it is very expensive

SuperLoudPoppingAction Mon 10-Jun-19 18:53:31

practice

Boost self-esteem - my child enjoy maths and the instant assessment means instant feedback on the fact he is doing a good job. And it stretches him more than school.
In school he is usually paired with children who ask for his help.

No

He liked being able to save up for a pet. And the questions were enjoyable.
I like the email updates

It's different from sum dog as you only do the 15 minutes. With sumdog he would be on for hours and got sick of it.

I think sometimes the questions were hard to read. Most wrong answers were to do with the phrasing of questions

Yes if they had the budget for it. It's fun

mummy81 Mon 10-Jun-19 18:57:32

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? I wanted to improve my child's maths level and her confidence.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I didn't need to contact them.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? The fact you get instant feedback as to whether the question is right or wrong and the chance to rectify mistakes. She loved the games as well. What did you like about Smartick? I liked the feedback emails detailing what was done well and what wasn't.
programmes you may have used? I haven't used anything else before, but I was quite impressed with this.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Brilliant, my daughter needs to improve upon these skills.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes I would. My daughter really enjoyed doing the lessons and she asked to do them!!

queenoftheschoolrun Mon 10-Jun-19 19:00:22

My DD wanted to do it. She's in Y6, really enjoys maths and having finished her SATS isn't getting the opportunity to do it at school any more!

Yes, they called me early on in the trial. I didn't really have any questions but it's good to know I could contact them if I had any problems or queries.

She liked the fact that the content varies every day, unlike the school programme which just tests that week's topic. I like the fact that she likes it, I can just leave her to get on with it and get a daily e-mail to say how she's done.

It isn't restricted to the exercises picked by the teacher so there is a better variety of content.

This is a good idea which we haven't come across on other online products.

I think it would be really useful for children preparing for the 11+ exams but I don't know how much it costs so it would depend how expensive it is!

Hajra5611 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:05:08

My daughter has just turned 7 and she had her Year 2 SAT's a little while ago; this gave me the opportunity to help her with her Maths skills through an app which made it fun and want to entice her to learn more and then go to school happier as she can participate with the class in the different areas; she is quite shy and this has helped boost her esteem

I have not spoken to anyone about the app, have received emails if I need support what I can do and who to contact regarding the app.

My daughter loves the different topics it covers and how easy it is to go through the questions then as a reward it gives her stars which she uses in the Virtual World.

I love that its really easy to access and is ideal for short sessions allowing the brain to work quite quickly also that I can monitor progress and receive emails how my daughter has done in different topics so we know which areas to work on at home and where she has improved.

We have not used any online Maths Programmes, this was our first one.
Have downloaded a few apps on her ipad however to help her but she gets bored of them quite quickly, the apps we have downloaded cost a small fraction of the price of this so its quite expensive compared to that especially as its designed for short sessions.

I thing this is fantastic it makes my daughter engage with this programme happily where she is learning alot of different skills and is happy along the way as it keeps her mind focused they cover different topics not the same ones and her brain is always in thinking mode

I would highly recommend this to family/friends as its a great concept to have as children don't like to be engaged in educational activities for a long time; this enables them to have a short session which tests what they have learnt and also identifies what can be done to help them.
However I feel the cost of this may outweigh friends/family signing up to this.

Estraya Mon 10-Jun-19 19:06:42

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?

My daughter struggles with maths and my son has struggled in the past, though is doing well now so I like them both to do some extra maths at home to ensure they're keeping up at school.

I did email as we had some technical difficulties when we first started and I was emailed back quickly, which was good.

My kids both liked the virtual world. They like changing the looks of their avatar and saving up for a pet. This was good motivation to complete sessions. I liked the feedback emails and the ability to be able to see what they got right/wrong.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used?

We use Maths Factor and I think it's much better for teaching the kids maths, though it doesn't have the motivation of the virtual world that Smartick does.

I didn't really notice this.

No I wouldn't, sorry. The questions were often strangely worded and the kids didn't understand what to do. It doesn't seem to tie into what they have been learning at school this year. I don't feel like it's taught them anything and after the first few sessions, neither of them were keen to continue. It's also been difficult to use on their kindle fires and they don't have access to any other computers to complete it on. I also had a look at the prices and it's really expensive compared to other programmes out there.

mama36 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:11:05

My elder son has 11 plus coming up n younger had KS1 SATs this yr

My subscription somehow ended after 15 days so have e mail the team waiting for their response

Child .. ticks , avatar dress up, online competition
Me.. really like d detailed n comprehensive daily report abt how my sons r doing plus when they were absent from d session

My kids do matheletics and Smartick is very different from that as it takes ur child aptitude and taper question accordingly so I am very happy with this aspect

Yeah Smartick give emphasis to both of these skills which r v imp in 11 plus exam but not taught in school as a syllabus

Highly recommend cos it tapers to ur child need and is not one size fit all

Scoleah Mon 10-Jun-19 19:15:41

What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths

My Daughter isn't confident at maths at all, she doesn't understand it and falls behind in class. They don't have the facilities for one on one help in school. She does attend Maths Catch up, but still fails to understand fast enough as it's taught in a Group. My motivation for using this was that she could learn at her Own pace in a comfortable environment, so wouldn't have the added pressure like she does in front of a Group.

Yes a lovely Lady called us from Smartick, she said she had looked at my daughters attendance which has been 100% since starting. I didn't need to ask any questions as we have been getting on with it perfectly.

My child enjoyed the quick sessions, and she loved the emails it was sending me so I could see how well she had done. She also enjoyed the Bonus questions afterwards to make up her marks if she hadn't done so well.
I also loved the emails we were sent detailing how well she had done, and that you could go in and View the questions she was asked to do aswell, it's nice you can get involved afterwards and keep an eye on what they have done.

I haven't used any other online maths programmes, but we did do the old fashioned method of Sitting down with a pen and paper, but my methods were out of date and my daughter would get very frustrated that I was "helping" her in a way they didn't show her at school, which added her to be even more confused. I found Smartick showed her the way she learns in school so was an easier process for her to Grasp and use in afterwards

I thought the emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving were a great addition. As it has them thinking more and helps them show out their workings etc, and my daughter said it was a nice to do something a bit different to numbers constantly.

I would recommend to friends and family as my daughter has really grown using it & she says she understands her work better in School as the program has covered what she currently does there.
Her confidence has sky rocketed.
The price is A lot compared to some others though, so I think if it was priced competitively more friends & family would also join.

MrsElizabethShelby Mon 10-Jun-19 19:15:44

To give confidence and help prepare them for year 2 in September.

No

He enjoys solving the problems and getting to use the computer.

I haven't used any

Good

Yes I would, however smartick is in some ways easy to use and in others complicated.

I don't know if it's the translation but some of the wording used didn't even make sense to me nevermind my 5 year old trying to solve the problems by themselves.
The parent/tutor page makes no sense and I don't know what I am supposed to do with it.

mumsbe Mon 10-Jun-19 19:16:29

To give them more confidence
No I didnt
They enjoyed working there way through and having challenges.
It's about the same
Yes it's important
Yes my child enjoyed it.

H007 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:17:50

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? Confidence. Whilst my daughter is able in maths, she lacks in confidence in her ability and it’s holding her back.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? Email. Kind of.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? She’s like the competitive nature of it. She also like the little world where she could buy things with her points. What do you as a parent like about Smartick? That she asks to do maths. That it something on the tablet that’s educational.
programmes you may have used? I haven’t used any.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Good.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes I would, as everyday my daughter asks to do her maths test. That can only be beneficial.

sjonlegs Mon 10-Jun-19 19:19:58

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? Maths was always a weakness for me at school and DD has the same. DS2 is a bit of a maths genius - but he still had a go. I think he had a case of FOMO

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No no contact by phone - I believe I had an email early on.

The kids were drawn in quite easily and it kept them engaged. The

I didn't find the sessions particularly diverse - pretty much the same type of math for the whole session and 15 minutes is a long session for a 10 year old. I'm not sure that the levels were assessed correctly, as my daughter lost interest due to struggling and my son found it far too easy.

A great idea in theory - but keeping the children engaged proved to be difficult

Yes and no. It's a personal choice because it's what suits your child. All children are very different and it's not one size fits all. I think perhaps there needs to be a little more flexibility and adaptation to meet the needs of the child.

Holly221288 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:24:56

My main motivation for getting my daughter (aged 6) is because she is so keen to learn so I want to encourage this.
I didn’t need to do although someone did leave me a voicemail checking everything was ok.
My daughter absolutely loved Smartick and I mean loves it!! She asks to do it every day and gets very grumpy if we have no time! She likes the star incentive and getting to spend them in the shop. Also changing her avatar as a ‘treat’ at the end. I love how easy it is to use and seeing how much my daughter enjoys it.
It is so much better than Mathletics as it’s visually more pleasing and has a lot more to it
I like it although would be happy with more traditional maths too
I would absolutely recommend it apart from the price as it’s very expensive. I love how easy it is to get my daughter to do maths. The only things I would change is a bigger variety of questions, no daily emails (they made me feel guilty on the days we didn’t manage) and an option to do a booster session or something

Ledkr Mon 10-Jun-19 19:26:51

My daughter has always struggled with maths, this has affected her self confidence so I felt if she could improve it would have an effect on her overall feelings Confidence.

No

She loved the challenge and the enjoyment of getting her score at the end.
She liked the games at the end too.
I liked getting the emails. Even when I was away at the weekend I could see she had done her sessions.

She liked me getting her results too.

She has access to some at school but the didn't engage her like smartick did. I think as they were tables based so she was put off. Smartick was fun and varied so she wanted to do it.

I really liked this as it encouraged her to think differently and independently which helped with her confidence.

Yes dependent on cost.

Miaow1234 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:31:20

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? To improve her self confidence and learn at her own pace. She struggles with overstimulation at school and that affects her learning.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No didn’t use
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? She enjoyed the avatar and making friends with people from other countries. She enjoyed the math lessons although she was frustrated at first until she got the hang of how things are presented. I like the fact I get an email about how she did and she likes knowing too.
programmes you may have used? It’s more interactive and an end goal that the children can think about. Collecting points to buy things is great.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Great and I can see a big difference in how she is thinking about math in every day life.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes I would recommend as it’s been great for my daughter, even school has mentioned her increased confidence. As a child with Asperger she struggles with a classroom environment even thought she’s very capable. ITs great as it alters to each child’s abilities.

DownRightAmazing Mon 10-Jun-19 19:35:17

DS has a ‘do just enough’ personality, he is average at school and that’s fine by me but if I can help him out/motivate him to do a little extra whilst enjoying it then I try to do so.

No, and it wasn’t needed - them program is easy to set up and use

I introduced the program to DS as a game, and told him it was optional. It is generally quite motivating - he loves to receive the stars - so he has been happy to ‘play’ most days. The option to have the question read out to him really helped, he is in year 1 and he is able to read out the questions himself but his reading isn’t completely fluid and doing so costs him time, it can also affect his understanding so having them read out helps a lot. He hasn’t explored much of the extras but did find the shop where he can ‘spend’ stars on accessories - he loved that.

As a parent I love being able to review his sessions, I enjoy seeing how motivated he is. I also like the way that a variety of topics are introduced and slowly extended.

We’ve not done much to compare really. In the past I bought a maths workbook - DS found it hard to understand what was wanted in each case even though he could do the math - Smartick is better because it reads out the question and reads out tags etc too. Other than that I occasionally quiz him on times tables or number bonds etc which is fine but requires more input from me - with Smartick once he got used to the format he could complete a session without me (though I do tend to stay nearby because I want to feel involved). Also the 15min timer is great because if it’s a new or tricky concept it doesn’t drag on and on.

I haven’t noticed a lot of this tbh - maybe DS is too young? Occasionally he comes across a question in which it isn’t clear what exactly is wanted - I don’t consider that to be a positive

Yes, if they were after something of this type I would, but it is very pricey and I think it would be hard to justify for a child who isn’t struggling significantly.

Thank you Mumsnet and Smartick, we really enjoyed testing this one! I kept notes as we went along because I wasn’t sure what feedback would be wanted - here is some thoughts in bullet point form if it’s of any use...

I like the option to select SEN
It is good to be able to have more than one child on your account - easier for parents.
Like the way the question is read out
First assessment was fine, fairly easy but moving along smoothly.
Second and third assessment good. Motivating.
Occasionally needs to have the question explained in more details/the intent of the question explained.
Tutorial: quite negative. New concept - needed more time, more guidance. Demotivating.
Occasionally, at random there is no option to have the question read out. Presumably a glitch?
The parent info email occasionally contains a short passage in another language (Spanish?)
Overall a lovely confidence booster for DS

Personally I enjoy maths so I took the opportunity to test myself - I pretended I was 14 as that’s the oldest available. Here are my thoughts from the older perspective (though I must admit I am very much NOT 14!):

Tutorial: bit boring and slow but effective.
Simplifying fractions: seems very harsh to get a big red x when the answer is right, just missing the last step - would surely get most of the marks in an exam.
Older pupil tutorials very boring!
Some sessions very boring and repetitive (multiplying fractions).
Not clear if/when ok to use a calculator? Or scrap paper?
DS watches me doing my sessions sometimes, he sees me finding it tough but persevering even with red timer etc. Sees me eager to complete the lesson - seems to find it motivating. He also enjoys ‘competing’ with me to see who gets the most stars!

MimsyBorogroves Mon 10-Jun-19 19:35:48

DS1 - catch up as he's behind
DS2 - extra work to keep him entertained after school - he's greater depth and loves maths but isn't always challenged

No - I didn't run into any problems.

Youngest DS loves it. We both enjoyed the critical thinking puzzles whilst using it as it felt like something very different for both of us. He loved earning ticks and dressing his avatar.

Holds up quite well to online. I felt it wasn't geared up for UK maths all of the time - lots of things we've enever covered before in Y2 with my youngest which was stressful at times. I also feel he wasn't actively taught much - we did a time module which gave him some learning but the rest seems to have been assessment. We've been doing times tables (7s and 6s, both of which he doesn't know but doesn't need to know in Y2...) for days. I think something like the Carol Vorderman one is probably more usful, but not as enjoyable.

Both myself and DS2 adored this. Very helpful for CATS and just up DS2's street. DS1 had a look at a few and refused to do any as he doesn't udnerstand logic!

I'm torn. DS1 (11) thought it was far too babyish in style and was too embarrassed to use it. DS2 (7) loved it, as I said, it challenged him nicely and he thought it was brilliant, but I don't think it fits in well to the UK curriculum and lots of it was frustrating because it didn't translate well to how our children are taught. It's very, very, very expensive too - we would not be able to finance signing up to the programme unfortunately. Still cheaper than a tutor, but I think there are others better designed out there. That said, DS2 is desperate to do 15 minutes a day until the trial expires in November, so he is getting a lot out of it purely because it's 15 more minutes of maths a day.

Byrdie Mon 10-Jun-19 19:37:12

I signed up because my middle child (8) had been identified as not progressing in maths and we already have a maths tutor for her but will be stopping this in September. She has ability but I think she struggles to get the attention in class. I also have a reception child and a year six child so they both also been trying out to.

My year six child is very bright in maths and has been picked out by her school as gifted and talented so it was interesting to see the results and reports for all my children! Funnily enough my eldest was not as outstanding as I expected her to be as per the report. She was slow in many areas! My middle child actually was outstanding in many areas which was a big surprise. It certainly gives me a lot more confidence that I understand the maths levels my children are at as it’s sometimes hard to know. The difference in how the school regards my two is probably more to do with how much they put their hand up in class!

I was also amazed that it catered for a five-year-old. She was able to do these exercises which were obviously simple but having seen what the other two were doing I was sceptical that they would get this right. I’ve been very impressed.

No - no need to for us. It’s all worked great.

They really enjoyed the avatar aspects. So for example dressing the avatar and choosing the eye colour and hair colour et cetera. They also really enjoyed purchasing pets and items for their pets. My littlest loved decorating the bedroom and visiting the shop! It’s very well done. As a parent I love the reports and the fact that they want to do it and ask me to do it.

We have used mymaths and Mathletics before and this feels a lot more like again and also I feel like I’m getting so much more feedback although I have no idea what teachers get on mymaths and Mathletics as both of those maths programs are run by the schools.

I 100% think that the emphasis on critical thinking and problem-solving is key. Smartick does seem to include this but without knowing exactly the percentage - as I don’t sit with the children (apart from the littlest) - of critical thinking / problem-solving versis other maths work, I’m not sure if it’s too much or too little, but the children seem to enjoy it all.

Yes - definitely. I actually feel thar the school should look into it because mymaths and Mathletics are quite expensive and not as good at engaging the children. It will be nice to know how much Smartick charge for school subscriptions. For comparison I know that both mymaths and Mathletics are around £1000 for a school of around 200 students for one year.

Lambethmum Mon 10-Jun-19 19:41:09

All different reasons for 3 different children, the eldest struggles a bit with homework, the middle one enjoys maths, the youngest is just starting out.
I had an unsolicited 'phone call; the woman was very nice, we didn't have anything to sort out.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick?The children all find the tasks they are set easy and don't mind doing them, they enjoy the games and buying things in the shop. As a parent I liked how it lasted a set period of time and changes according to ability.
programmes you may have used? The avatar and games are similar in concept to Mathletics, which we get free from school. For Mathletics children choose which tasks they want to do, which they really like, but it means it needs a bit more parental input if you don't want them to just skip the tasks set by school and play the games. Mathletics is part of homework and more obviously linked to the other written homework we get, but doing things on Smartick which may not be on the British curriculum isn't a bad thing. Smartick looks nicer!
They don't seem to notice this at all
I certainly would if it was a reasonable price but no way! For multiple children it is still £29.50 per child per month

gemmie797 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:42:35

My son was struggling to keep up with Maths at school so I wanted him to have some support and get used to regularly doing home based maths work/revision.
The only contact I had with someone from Smartick was when they accidentally cancelled the trial after the initial period. They emailed back within 24 hours and had resolved my problem
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions?
My son likes getting the stars when he does well. He finds the 15 minute slots manageable.
What do you as a parent like about Smartick?
I like that it is just the right amount of time for him to focus on the work and I love the feedback emails.
I have only ever used a face to face approach. My son definitely responds better to the online learning.
I like it, although would prefer use of English currency for the learning.
Yes. I think it's a great resource. my sons knows that it is a part of his day now to complete the 15 minute slot during the evening

shaunying Mon 10-Jun-19 19:43:24

1.What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
Because we want to give our son the best opportunity to gain additional learning whenever possible.

No contact made.

I liked the straightforward simplicity.
Our son liked the sporting challenges.

No other programs used

I think that it's vital for children to learn these skills in order to develop

6.Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not?
I might reccomend it for older children, our son is 5 and found the exercises quite a chore.

xxxxclarexxxx Mon 10-Jun-19 19:43:46

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? - I have always struggled with maths myself so don't want my son to feel the same as I did! to get his confidence up - you read things everyday but dont necessarily do maths everyday so always good to do more!
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? no I havent spoken to anyone during the trial- i didnt need too.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? My son said easy but fun way to do maths! I liked how you can keep eye on their progress
Easier to use, more fun - only issue we had was some questions for co-ordinates were not easy to map on the phone but other than that a great way to learn that's fun too!
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Its good to have this included
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? - Yes a fun way to learn and better your childs maths skills

xtoniax Mon 10-Jun-19 19:50:27

My eldest daughter loves all things maths so jumped at the opportunity to test this and surprisingly my middle and younger daughters both jumped on the band wagon to help them improve it.

No I never spoke to anyone from Smartick in either format.

My child loves the sessions and that they are quite fun maths, also loves the characters and being able to customise those and that you can buy things with the stars you earn.
I love the incentives to get them to do maths- I don’t have to ask them anymore to start their sessions. I also LOVE the emails you get after saying how well (or not so well) your child has done in that session.

I think Smartick is so much better than other maths programmes i’ve Used before. We used one from the school before but it was a chore getting the children to do their maths. This is fun, simple and my children love doing it.

I love that part of the tests, as this is the parts of maths most useful in the real world in my opinion.

I would definitely recommend Smartick to friends and family, depending on the cost. The programme is brilliant and you can add children as young as 3 on it. I have trialled it with all 3 of my girls (ages 9, 6 and 3) and all of them love completing their sessions.

MiliOli Mon 10-Jun-19 19:52:22

1. Motivation... my girls are doing well in maths and the work at school is not challenging enough, though I could find a way of challenging them.
2. Someone contacted me via phone.
3. One of my girls loved the extras (the competitions bit) the little one liked the bit that it reads to her.
I really liked the parent section and how you can see and reward their work.
4.It is a good app but it needs to be changed to uk base, we spent most of the time being assessed and reassessed and it was just not getting their level right. It would be great if there was an option for the parent to set work levels.
5. It is a great idea and something I feel would improve school grades not just maths.
6. I would not recommend this app as it is at the moment. It needs to be improved on the way it personalises the work and for the price it is it really should do better.
If it was 1/2 the price I would probably tell people it would be worth it.

I personally liked the app but my girls where not impressed, they love their reading app (the bug club from school) they go on it without being prompted but this app did not get the same response.

LaNouba Mon 10-Jun-19 20:05:19

I’ve been looking at Kumon to stretch my children a bit more and improve their current grades. Also to help focus on area of maths they’ve found more challenging.
I’ve not needed any help as the site is easy to navigate. I’ve had a voicemail from Smartick offering help if needed.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about
Both children have enjoyed the short 15 min sessions. They’ve been kept motivated by the stars they can earn each day which in turn can be used to purchase upgrades for their avatar such as clothing, pets. The program is presented in a bright and child friendly format which both children have been using without any support. The initial assessment sessions were accurate and the tasks set for both children appear to be at an appropriate level. The parent feedback is excellent and immediate and highlights areas of strength and any topics that might need more work.

We’ve used a couple of online maths programs in the past but neither have motivated both children as much as Smartick. They wake up asking to complete the days session as they are both desperate to earn more stars for Avatar upgrades. The short 15min daily sessions are achievable and easy to fit in each day and so far seem to be really helping boost confidence and achievement.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Excellent, encourages independent learning and boosts confidence.
Definitely! most of my friends have a battle with their children to study at home after school and Smartick has been effective in encouraging my children to actually want to learn. I like the fact they are able to complete the tasks independently. As far as cost is concerned it’s definitely more expensive than the other programs I’ve seen so I can see this as being the only negative thing which might put other families off.

Rsveinsson Mon 10-Jun-19 20:21:28

My 5 year old is good with maths but sometimes struggles with word reasoning problems and lacks confidence. My 4 year old starts school in September and is very good with numbers and showed a fantastic interest in the app.
I didn’t speak to anyone at Smartick, it was easy to set up and use.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about
Both my daughters loved that they would earn golden tick stars, would be congratulated when they solved so many questions correctly in a row. My 4 year old especially loved being able to spend her ticks in the shop after she had finished. I really enjoyed seeing my kids enjoy what they where doing, that they had the opportunity to correct any question they got wrong first time round. I also like the emails received after each session giving a breakdown of the activity done. I like that their progress is tracked and they are also challenged at different levels, it feels very personalised.
I have downloaded a few other ones, but they seemed very basic. Smartick comes across as a more personalised service that pushes the child to develop their math skills in a different format, which is very important.
This is an important skill, I know from helping my 12 year old step daughter previously that she struggled with this as it wasn’t really covered and she struggled, so I try and use this with my younger two as much as possible. Maths is not just about sums, the various language used within Smartick gets them thinking about different things.
I would absolutely recommend smartick and in fact have already recommended it to some of my daughters friends parents.

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to review it. My girls love it and will fight to who will do their session first!!

Maiyakat Mon 10-Jun-19 20:27:27

To help my daughter improve her maths as she is currently behind her expected level
Didn't speak to anyone
I liked the time limit and that the session automatically ended after 15 minutes rather than after a set number of questions, which means less able children don't get demotivated. My daughter liked the more visual questions and the fact that she could 'spend' her stars
Much preferred it to Mathletics which she has done through school. Smartick worked well on laptop and tablet. The activities were tailored to the child's ability. Not sure how well it translates to the UK way of teaching maths, but doing things differently isn't necessarily bad!
Good to help build understanding rather than learning by memory
Yes (dependent on price)

StickChildNumberTwo Mon 10-Jun-19 20:29:51

My daughter is bright and good at maths, but doesn't like to push herself - she doesn't like getting things wrong so would rather stick with what she's comfortable with. I wanted to try something that would challenge her.

Yes, by email. I wanted to know more about the 'friends' my daughter had suddenly acquired. I was reassured that there should be no safety issues about it, but I'm still uncomfortable with the idea that people we don't know can be friends with her when all the internet safety lessons are not to talk to people you don't know online. Had I known in advance that she could have friends I probably wouldn't have used her real name as her username.

She loves them. I think she puts up with the first bit in order to get to the games etc, but she regularly asks to do it.
I'm a bit disconcerted by not having detail of what she's doing, and finding some of the content I have seen a bit odd - I did maths to 18 and there are terms she's being taught that I've never heard of. That also makes me wonder how some of it relates to the school curriculum. I do like how keen she is though.

I've never used any, but one they get through school my daughter's assessment today was 'programme x doesn't know me, these questions are too easy. Smartick knows me better.'

Hadn't spotted that, sounds good.

At the price they charge I struggle to think which of my friends would be up for it, but I might mention it to someone concerned about their child's maths if I thought it might be something they could afford (e.g. as an alternative to going straight to a tutor). When it's a bonus extra to what they're doing in school it seems an awful lot to pay.

Rsveinsson Mon 10-Jun-19 20:49:11

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional mathspractice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?
My 5 year old is good at maths, but struggles sometimes when something is a little different and lacks confidence. My 4 year old starts school in September and was keen to try this and excelled wonderfully using this.
I had no need to contact Smartick.
My daughters loved earning the golden tick stars, being congratulated when they had answered so many questions correctly. My 4 year old particularly loved spending her stars in the virtual shop. I loved that each session seems personalised for each child and their ability. The emails after each session showing the child’s progress is great to see how they are getting on. I also like that the child is asked how they are feeling before and after each session. My girls love this.
I have downloaded a few previously, but found them very simple and generic, they didn’t provide the same level that Smartick can at all.
This is very important, maths in everyday life isn’t provided in a sum format, this builds the skills that is needed.
I would recommend this and in fact I have mentioned this to a few friends already.

Parrish Mon 10-Jun-19 20:49:18

My eldest has loads of gaps in his maths knowledge and none he’s a high school and can’t guess anymore it’s becoming obvious what he has missed.

No. But someone from smartick asked me something in spanish once and that started an amusing exchange!

My youngest liked the animals you could buy. My eldest wasn’t too fussed about anything. I liked getting an email almost immediately afterwards about how they had done.

Sometimes we dip into BBC bite size which is very relevant for his current Scottish course.

Think it’s not overly apparent.

Yes as it seems to be helping them a little. But it would depend on cost.

feejee Mon 10-Jun-19 21:02:34

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice?

My son (5) really enjoys numbers, and I have no idea how things are taught at school. I would love to help him at home, but am nervous about teaching him the wrong way and confusing him.

I receive a phone call which was pleasant. I mentioned about trousers being called pants, and that my son was confused about why they were called pants. I had not realised you could change the voice/accent and language type so we had started using it in USA english. The lady on the phone talked me through how to change it to UK English.

My son really likes Smartick, he actively asks to go on in it every single day, which as a parent I think is marvellous that he is so keen to learn. He thinks it is fun, he likes doing the corrections to get an extra tick, buying things in the shop and arranging his room. He has got on well learning how to answer the questions. Although they are not hugely various at his age/level I would imagine that for older children it would have more variety.

I haven't tried any other online or traditional math programmes.

Im keen for my son to be given lots of opportunities for his own development. He learnt quickly how to get the questions read out, so he was able to answer without my help and now he is confident with how the different parts of Smartick work he doesnt want any help at all...he can do it 'all on my own mummy'.

Yes I would recommend Smartick to friends if they were looking to help with maths learning. However, I would recommend it with the caveat that it is very expensive. Im not sure I know anyone who would be able to easily afford the monthly cost with children the same age as my son.

JemimaCuddleMuck Mon 10-Jun-19 21:14:41

I wanted to give my reception-aged child chance to explore maths in greater depth than she does at school.

No, I didn’t not talk to anyone from Smartick

My child really enjoyed the test sessions, particularly the reward stars and bring given praise for correct answers in a row. She really liked questions on shape recognition. She loves the Wishing Well feature (although has not used it to write about Smarticks sessions), it’s helping her to develop typing skills which is an unexpected bonus. She tried lots of the other games and activities, of which her favourites were probably the temple memory game and the skittles subtraction task.
As a parent I liked the length and structure of the test sessions - long enough to get stuck into but structured in a way that my child did not lose interest. I really liked the fact that she was able to go back and correct wrong answers, particularly as she became more intent on achieving all correct scores. It was a big confidence boost for her, and that helped her focus more the next time.

We’ve not tried any other maths programmes.

I loved it. My daughter responded really well to it and her skills have improved massively since beginning the programme. Smarticks seems to provide a very broad range of topics and approaches, which we both liked.

I definitely would, and already have. Having looked at the prices, for us the cost in prohibitive. However, for parents looking at one-to-one tuition I can see that this represents good value for money in comparison, and has made a noticeable improvement to our daughters skills and interest in maths.

Thanks for letting us trial Smarticks!

MissMoan Mon 10-Jun-19 21:23:59

Maths is an essential skill, not only for academic success but in life.

I reached out for help via email to find out how to add more than one student. I received a response within 72 hours and a follow up just over a week later. The response was helpful and included screenshots.

The children liked collecting stars and responded well to the 'How are you feeling' questions. They also liked some of the games. I liked how incorrect answers could be remedied and attempted a second time.

The children didn't like that they couldn't navigate off the task to the attention / reasoning games, and and to complete a session each time in order to get to the games. There was no way to pause and resume later, it had to be attempted in one go. We also stumbled upon a few errors, such as answers not registering, so the system would mark a correct answer as unanswered. Vital images that were part of the question disappeared, and sometimes when numerical responses were required, typing or selecting the numbers using the mouse did not work. It is also very difficult to change the level the child is working at.

Smartick is interactive and allows the child to select their own avatar. The 'How do you feel' indicators are also a nice touch. But Smartick also seems limiting in that you cannot change task or level, you first have to complete the whole session.

This emphasis is encouraging and reassuring as this will develop transferrable skills which can apply in real life.

At the moment I am not sure. The concept is great, but we have encountered a few too many errors and limitations when testing it to warrant the cost of a subscription. The cost is also very steep, and I would rather put that towards a tutor.

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Mon 10-Jun-19 21:26:08

. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? My son really enjoys maths and problem solving, so thought it would be useful to have screen time that he enjoyed but was still educational.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No, didn't need to contact anyone.

He loved getting the ticks and the positive feedback. Enjoyed the games. I liked the village setup and the fact it was 15 minutes, so long enough to get value from it but not too long to get bored.

Haven't used any

The level he was on seemed very simple in honesty. I kept expecting it to readjust to his level, as the feedback was that he was fast and accurate. The questions seemed more preschool or reception than year 1.

No, it has a lot of potential but the cost is prohibitive and it doesn't seem to adjust quickly enough to keep attention.

For the first few days he loved it and kept asking for it. Then it's become difficult to get him to engage with it at all.

daisyjean2008 Mon 10-Jun-19 21:28:35

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? My daughter is going into Year 6, she is capable in Maths but I don't think is being stretched in a mixed ability class. The pace is slower than she needs so I wanted something to get her working with more pace.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I haven't been in touch with Smartick.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? My children like the session being timed, it is long enough for a quick boost and it made them feel successful. I liked the information emailed about each session, to see what they are doing well and what they need to improve on.
programmes you may have used? I like the more structure of Smartick. I actually tutor myself but my daughter likes the computer work, kids love being on a computer, I think she feels less pressure as it is more of a game.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I like the logic sessions and extra questions, sometimes it can seem an odd question and not very mathsy but it is a good mix.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I really like it, it supports my child and my daughter has noticed she is managing mental arithmetic questions much better already. It is so easy to fit in and my daughter wants to do her sessions. The only issue is the price, it is probably more money that I can afford. It's a shame as I like the product but it may price many people out.

Faithless12 Mon 10-Jun-19 21:38:30

*1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths
practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?*
DS’s school uses Sumdog for homework which he loves doing but I don’t really see the value of it and so was hoping to find something similar with less gamification. He also really enjoys maths and the fact the app might stretch him was a bonus.

Yes. It was very helpful.

DS really enjoyed getting a diploma and also the x no. Of correct answers. I liked the emails and the fact it showed you which questions he got wrong and the answer he gave.

*4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math
programmes you may have used?*

I really liked it was 15-20 minutes and that is it. We have maths books but the ease to spend longer than agreed means that they mainly get used during the holidays. DS really enjoys that he does his activities and that’s it.

I really liked the questions and how it slowly builds up in skill. DS has yet to ask me to help him, which is great as the questions are clearly stretching him but aren’t too hard.

Yes I would and have but we all struggle with the price.

SueVide Mon 10-Jun-19 21:56:55

DS is v bright and loves Maths. School are not consistent at setting extension work so we have been looking for something fun to practice and extend his learning at home.

No I didn't but didn't need to.

I like the daily progress email and DS loves to read it even when it tells me he's not been working hard enough! It often has stray Spanish words in it though which makes me wonder about the QA process

We also use Mathletics via school. DS enjoys this as well but the Smartick stars and diplomas are more motivating at the moment though this could be the novelty factor.

I've not seen much of this tbh. There seems to be more of a focus on repetition.

I found some of the terms and question formats difficult to understand and explain. It would help if there were examples of how to answer questions/ or a clue what they were getting at as the format isn't always obvious.

The app has been very good at getting DS to consolidate learning about e.g. sets and patterns but I'm not sure how much new knowledge has been built as it seems to takes ages to calibrate his level. Some of the addition and subtraction questions are so easy that DS gets bored and doesn't complete or deliberately gets them wrong - guaranteeing more of the same the next day.

Overall we liked it and will continue to use it while DS remains interested. I'd struggle to recommend it at the current price point though. It is way too high for this app given that its mainly been used for daily practice vs. building new skills.

The app itself is also v glitchy and the delete button is too close to the enter button. This had led to some upset when DS accidentally gets something wrong. Things like this would need to be fixed for me to pay at all.

Summergarden Mon 10-Jun-19 22:01:06

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice?

My child finds maths a bit challenging at school but enjoys all types of computer games and apps so I thought Smart tick could be a fun way to help improve her maths.

No, I didn't see a need for that.

She enjoyed the mix of questions on different areas of maths and that the sessions weren't too long. She enjoyed choosing her own avatar.

Similarly to Doodlemaths. I think the range of graphics and pectoral presentation of questions is better with Smarttick, though.

I hadn't particularly noticed this on Smartick but it is a useful thing to include.

Yes, although it's important to get the British English completely accurate first. For example, one question asked my child to form the number 'one hundred three' which is how American English would verbalise the number 103 but in British English we would say 'one hundred AND three'. It can cause confusion for children if not accurate.

annarack99 Mon 10-Jun-19 22:13:25

My daughter loves numbers despite only being 4. She is due to start school in September, where I understand technology will be used in the classroom, so I thought online maths with Smartick would be a good introduction and something we could do at home together.
No, I didn't need to.
my daughter absolutely loved the sessions - both the initial questions and then the games afterwards. She loved earning stars/points and spending them in the shop. I liked the fact that it felt like fun rather than homework. I liked the way a 4 year old could easily follow quite complex concepts such as telling the time on here.
4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used? I have not used anything else.
i didn't necessarily notice this approach. I was surprised each session launched straight into questions rather than teaching anything first, however this worked fine for my daughter. I liked the revision session, as this was a change from the usual routine and built her confidence. The maths my 4 year old was doing also appealed to my 2 (almost 3) year old so I was able to set him up an account too! He did not always have the stamina for a full session but he loved the games.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes, defintely, it's learning disguised as fun.

RandomUsers Mon 10-Jun-19 22:59:17

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional math

I signed on to improve my dd's mental arithmetic.
No
The sessions were short but effective. Did never got bored of finishing one session. After finishing her daily session, she also got to play on smartick.

I have tried Rm easimaths and mathletics and I much prefer smartick.

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I think daily short doses helps to develop their problem solving skills.
I already recommended it to a family with 3 kids and all kids love it.

GinUp Mon 10-Jun-19 23:14:32

DD (8) likes maths and wants to learn more than she does at school.

2.Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful?
I had a nice email asking if I needed any help or had any feedback so far. I didn't need help but felt that support would available if required.

DD liked that some of the questions made her think a bit. She liked buying things in the shop with her stars and really enjoyed the games area. The 'Bus Stop' game was her favourite game.
I liked the emails with the progress reports after each session. I liked the fact that I could access the tutorials and games from the parents page.

DD also uses Maths Factor. The Maths Factor format seems to be a lot friendlier than the Smartick tutorials. It also gives the option of picking which topic you would like your child to work on next.

With Smartick the topics seemed to appear in a random order that didn't really seem to match up. There were several sessions where the questions were an odd mix of KS1 and KS3-level questions.

I found that the format of the questions in Smartick was often very confusing and it wasn't clear what DD needed to do in order to answer them. There were often glitches that meant that questions couldn't be answered at all. Maths Factor has very clear questions.

It is easier to relate Maths Factor to the National Curriculum, but at the same time it was good that Smartick had topics that don't seem to be in the NC at all. It meant that there was a bit of variety.

I didn't notice this so much in the main maths sessions but really liked the way many of the games were based on problem-solving. I think DD learned a lot from those, including how to use logic and reasoning to solve problems.

I don't think I would recommend it in it's current format. It's very expensive for something that is designed to be used for only 15 minutes per day. I think it would also need to be a bit more flexible in terms of content, rather than just answering questions on whichever topic has been picked for the child.

bigKiteFlying Mon 10-Jun-19 23:15:47

To keep them up to date with their skills and maybe pick up a few more - older two struggled when younger and an online maths site helped them catch up and improve their confidence but since finishing that course it's been hard to find a suitable alternative. We did try stopping for a bit and it didn’t work well for the eldest so we’d like something to keep them practising.

They phoned and got through once - they were letting me know an error had been corrected but they were helpful giving me additional information about the site.

My younger two like the gym and buying pets and additional items at end of sessions. Even my eldest 13 enjoyed some of the dressing and pet buying.

I liked that they did 15 minutes of maths that they did topics they were not as good in. It did find rusty areas.

The timer did stress younger two out at times but they did get used to it so I think it helped build some resilience there. I also think seeing concepts presented in slightly different ways helped them make more connections after initial upsets.

I would still rate mathsfactor over this for learning the basics- the setup of they have - explanation, worked example then 20 questions for topics was really good for my children - however they cover arithmetical and algebra - they don't cover graphs, geometry.
So Smartick is covering a greater range of topic but it’s not in such a clear way – which is what I think mine needed at the start - though now they are older and with good grasp of basics Smartick approach is okay for them.

IXL – is linked to the curriculum in my part of UK and has very precise topic areas – doesn’t really teach and we’ve found latterly they not spending long enough or working on poorer areas – though they’ve introduced a suggested topic area mine were ignoring that after a few weeks. So Smarttick is better with it’s 15 minutes a day and set topics.

Mathletics – they got access via their schools but I’ve never really rate it and mine soon lost interest.

Tried conquermaths with eldest for a while when she was at secondary – she didn’t really take to it – I think it was more like myMaths and HegartyMaths which secondary school gives them access to – more suited to school homework. So Smarttick does have an edge there as it is more fun.

I think we also tried Maths Whizz with DD1 near mid year 7 - and while she liked it I didn’t think it was that great for the money. I can’t really remember much to do a good comparison but I think the price point with Smarttick would also be an issue.

Very useful to DD2 - something I do think she needs to do more of. I think the older two benefited less from it though don’t know if that’s an age or personality thing.

Possibly - The price is a huge problem it's very expensive.

However there are many good points to it - so I'd almost certainly point them to other sites first and this as a last resort.

Tonkatol Tue 11-Jun-19 00:31:47

My daughter is 12 (in year 8) and, although she is doing well at school, she lacks confidence. Her main problem is she can answer the question if it is presented as a simple sum, but if it is a problem, requiring her to think about what method to use, she automatically thinks she can't do it, rather than consider the question and apply the appropriate method. Therefore, I wanted to both encourage her with her maths and get her to think outside the box.

I didn't have any contact with Smartick other than using the app, so am unable to answer this question.

My daughter enjoyed some of the sessions and liked seeing feedback where it would say "Exceptional" on some segments. However, she would sometimes not understand the wording and would not understand what she was meant to do. I knew that, certainly initially, some of the levels were below what my daughter's capability should be; however, I never mentioned this and I did feel that it sometimes boosted her confidence to get all the questions right.

The only other online math programmes my children have used have been those set by the school (with school log-in) and my daughter goes to a different school so doesn't have any experience of online math programmes. What I liked about Smartick was that it covered a range of math topics, whereas the one my other children used at school was set so they could only access the areas they needed to complete for homework and this was usually on one specific topic. Therefore, I found Smartick more useful and suitable and a great aid to revision.

This was great and, for me, the main advantage of my daughter using Smartick. As previously mentioned, she can usually answer questions set directly as math questions for homework, based on the topic they are currently using. However, when it comes to thinking things through and choosing a method to use for herself, my daughter has a habit of freezing and thinking she can't do it. Smartick presented questions in a way that math is used in everyday life, rather than in a math lesson.

I think I would recommend Smartick to friends/family but I would probably recommend it to parents with children in primary school. This wasn't because the content wasn't suitable for my daughter's age, but because she has a fair amount of homework to complete every day and termly assessments, each of which covers two or three different subjects so it put quite a lot of pressure on my daughter to fit into her day and, as a result, she would usually only do it if she was in the lounge with the TV on. Because of that, I don't feel she concentrated enough and so probably made more mistakes than would accurately reflect her ability. However, when she doesn't get home from school until just before 5pm and then has a couple of hours homework to complete, I feel it would be unreasonable of me to insist she completed this in her room alone, especially as she had to use my laptop to complete Smartick (her school set most of the homework to be completed on an iPad and parents are encouraged to purchase one with a payment plan before they even start year 7).

That said, whilst I still have access to Smartick, I will try to encourage her to complete it two or three times a week, just to help her remember all the different topics she is learning and practice maths in a way it is used in real life, not just in the classroom.

mrsminx Tue 11-Jun-19 07:15:21

My son is ahead of his school age in his maths ability and we wanted to explore other ways of teaching him

Did not speak to anybody

My son enjoyed the sessions, the different types of questions made it more like a game for him, he liked getting the stars. As a parent I like the that the daily assessments are quick, they were easy to fit in on most days. I also liked the variety of questions, you can really see how it can improve your childs ability. I also like the additional games and tutorial options, it was good to leave my son to explore and play with the site after the assessment and at other times during the day. Whenever he wanted to downtime to play games he did this instead

We have used books to help teach my son outside of school but this programme is much broader and has focus on skills that books cannot. We have not tried any other online programme before

This is my favourite thing about the programme, it really makes my son think about what he is doing

I would recommend it however it is quite a big financial commitment for a lot of people and I think some of the questions in the assessment sessions could be written/explained better.

3boysandabump Tue 11-Jun-19 07:23:47

My eldest is good at most subjects and although he meets all the required standards for his age in maths he lack confidence with it. I thought this would be a fun way to improve his confidence a bit.

My 4 year old is going into reception in September so I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to some of the basic concepts of maths.

For my 7 year old it was just a good way to get him doing something a bit educational on the iPad rather than playing Fortnite!

I didn’t speak to anyone from smartick via phone or email.

My children enjoyed the activities, They liked getting coins they could spend in their world.
They didn’t enjoy the tutorials. I think the reason for that is that they didn’t earn coins for doing those.
I loved the email letting the parent know how each child’s session went.
Both myself and my 4 year old liked the fact that he could press a button and hear the questions read out to him. I think it made him feel more independent than me having to read all the questions out to him. It also meant he could do his session while I was making dinner or something instead of him having to wait until I had a free moment.
I liked that they could go back and do the corrections. This meant I could let them do their first attempt independently but I could then help with anything they struggled with.
I didn’t like the option to invite friends. I felt it was unnecessary and just added a safety issue and completely irrelevant to this type of app.

The concept of doing work, earning coins and buying things is similar to a times tables app my children use.

I think these are good skills to have. My eldest would always get these questions right as well which was a real confidence boost for him.

I didn’t think the questions were very closely related to what the children were learning at school so it would depend what the person was looking for.
For help to improve their child’s grades - no I wouldn’t recommend.
For an introduction to maths, for a fun, educational app to have on the iPad, for a way to boost a child’s confidence in the subject - yes I would recommend

Faithless12 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:26:25

@Tonkatol I noticed the same. Some of the questions were very easy to begin with. Although they have ramped up quite a bit now. He’s probably working just beyond his comfort zone in some topics and others are easier. I quite like the mix as it does their confidence some good. I’m quite glad it doesn’t map directly in NC.

The only major negative I have had is the extra tick for corrections, they only receive it for getting all of their corrections right and I think it should reward them for going back over the questions they got wrong.

UnaOfStormhold Tue 11-Jun-19 08:03:12

DS clearly very much enjoys maths and shows some natural aptitude which I was keen to support and develop beyond what he has been learning at school.

I did speak to someone because I felt the sessions weren't challenging him enough and seemed to progress very slowly. The person on the phone was helpful and arranged a retest but it made very little difference (and DS was still clearly rather bored with the exercises).

He really enjoyed the tutorials - which I also thought were really good at explaining new concepts well. I think the one on tens and units for example was just right for where he was. Unfortunately there was then no opportunity to practice this new knowledge which would have really helped to embed it and help him progress. It would have been helpful to have a bit more guidance towards tutorials that were the right level for him - he did love the sessions on algebra and negative exponentials which were way too advanced for him (though I thought they would be really good in several years time when he actually got to that point)!

We've used mathseeds before which I found better in a number of respects - the placement test to get content aimed at the right level for the child seemed to work much better and as a parent there was an opportunity to override if needed; the interface was more engaging for a younger child; new content was better integrated with practice of existing skills; and there was much more variety within a session.

I was attracted to this but haven't really seen this come up in the exercises he was doing - maybe that's a feature of the level he was working at.

Probably not for a young child - I might suggest people think about if for older children. I thought the system had lots of potential but I found it frustrating that, even after phoning up, we couldn't get the exercises pitched at the right level for DS. He's confidently writing simple additions and subtractions and in the 20+ sessions he's done I only saw numbers once, presented with great fanfare and never repeated! Overall I felt the system for gauging level of understanding didn't work for a 4 year old - it seemed too much affected by how quickly they were able to respond which is often affected by how easy it was to manipulate the interface (he always scored more slowly for things that required dragging and dropping as this is harder for him to do and often took several tries) and how distracted they were (which got worse the more bored he got). There doesn't seem to be any recognition of the fact that some tasks (e.g things that require dragging multiple objects rather than clicking on one thing) take longer than others. Sometimes his progress was rated "satisfactory" when he was actually working really well at some complex new stuff and taking his time to get it right, other times he was being slapdash doing something very easy and got "outstanding". I saw in a review somewhere that there was an option to indicate how easy/hard the child found the exercises but this didn't appear for us - it would be so much better if as a parent we could adjust this, particularly for younger children.

A few other thoughts:

It was a bit frustrating to have to press the sound button to hear the instructions every time - he's a good reader for his age but not quite up to this level of language, so this slowed things down a lot - it would be good to be able to turn that on automatically. I also found some of the terminology much more complicated than warranted by the very simple tasks (e.g. figure, image, quantity).

I think having a messaging feature isn't very appropriate at this age - I've looked and it's not clear if it's possible to turn this off. An initial set up process where you could set things like language and other communications preferences would be good. It would be good to be able to set a time limit for the virtual world e.g. 15 minutes rather than have it open-ended or off entirely.

I found it frustrating that the interface kept using hands as number substitutes as this is so much slower for him than actually using the numbers - he got particularly bored with this section and often pressed the wrong answer deliberately so he's getting a bit stuck going over and over this material and not progressing. Several sessions have long strings of questions for which the answer was the same ("not fruit") which was a bit dull and you could see his attention waning. He spent a lot of time switching the language to american english and clicking on the wrong answer so he could get it to say "not pants" a lot which he found hilarious. It would be good to be able to lock the language as a parent!

Overall I think he has enjoyed it and I've appreciated the opportunity to test the system so thanks Mumsnet and Smartick. We'll persist and see if we can get it to work better for him!

chezybabes89 Tue 11-Jun-19 08:40:35

My little one LOVES to learn, she uses reading eggs but wanted to learn on something with math, this motivated me to apply.
This has improved her math skills.
I didnt need to speak with anyone at Smartick as the app was easy to use and no extra help was needed.
She liked the idea of being able to dress the avatar like herself, I loved the parent email updates.
I personally think having tried Smartick it is the best out there and I will be continuing with it at the end of the trial and many more years after that.
Its very important to emphasise learning in general, kids need direction and drive and by encouraging a love of learning at a young age sets them up for the future.
10000% I would recommend and I have already spoken with daughters friends mums about this app, its a good all round app that offers fun as well as learning.

gilmoregirl Tue 11-Jun-19 09:32:18

My son has struggled with maths at school so I am keen to try things to support him to develop his skills and also to increase his confidence.
No, I did not talk to anyone.
My child likes anything that is screen based so he liked that aspect. The graphics were fun and the site was easy to navigate.
We have only used programmes through the school so I am not very familiar with them.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Those are very important skills that children need to develop on their maths journey so I think that focus is appropriate.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I would probably recommend it to friends. Although I do think that 1:1 personal tuition is the best way for my child to learn so we will continue with that.

lotteroach Tue 11-Jun-19 09:32:53

My son has fallen behind in his learning at school and any help we can support him with is a bonus.

Yes, i felt that after a week of using the system it was too easy for my son and he needed bumping up a grade. They replied the next day and was able to move him up to a higher band

He enjoyed spending his stars he had gained after the sessions.
I like it was easy to navigate around the site so he could do it by himself

I dont think we will be carrying on after the trail as it doesnt seem to be relevant to what he is learning in school. e.g + / - or tens and ones.

i think its very important, however the questions we had all seemed to be the same type of thing and didn't really move on from that

Unfortunately no i wouldn't. I feel the sessions are a good length of time, but there should be other activities we can do after it if we feel we had more time to spend on the programme.

lottietiger Tue 11-Jun-19 09:45:08

My son loves maths, it is his favourite lesson at school so I thought it would be great as an additional enjoyable session per day
No I didn't.
My 6 year old could not keep engaged during the sessions, they were too repetitive for him. Once he started seeing emails saying he was slow etc he didn't want to do it anymore and I struggled to get him to do it every day.
Being able to have the questions spoken allowed was useful as it meant I didn't have to hover over his shoulder to check he was understanding the written words properly.
4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional mathprogrammes you may have used?
We have only used an app Todomath in the past which he loved and would do constantly. The sessions on that were short and engaging and you moved on a map as you went through the levels which kept his interest.
I didn't dislike it but children learn in different ways and if you took you a while to understand the question you got a derogatory e mail. I didn’t like the daily emails it just made me feel I had another thing to do!
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not.
No, I wouldn't to be honest. No one I know would pay nearly £40 per month for it as a lot of the problem solving type "games" could be done practically instead of on screen. With most parents in my class complaining of screen time I wouldn't want to recommend another 15 mins per day.

Cordillera Tue 11-Jun-19 10:21:56

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional mathspractice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?

To prepare them for the 11+ entrance test.

No, didn't need to.

They disliked it instantly and refused to do any of the exercises. They disliked the look and feel, the cartoons, the avatar (DD said, "Huh, guess the one with long hair is the girl. Why do they want to know if I'm a girl or a boy? What if I chose the boy?"). They disliked the American voice. They did the first question they were presented with and disliked the cartoon pics and the fact it was pizza.
So we stopped there.

They use DB Primary at school for weekly homework. They accept this but don't think much of that either and the homework tests take them 2 mins.

I have been using the Bond books with them since January and they like the 10 minute tests. And Target your Maths books, they like the clear layout, the examples are well explained. It may be my DC simply prefer hard copy to online.

We didn't get far enough to explore this.

I don't know because I don't know how much it costs so if it is good value. I might recommend it to people who have DC with different personalities to mine smile

itsnotfair10 Tue 11-Jun-19 10:27:07

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to test this.

My 5yr old son is in reception and is currently really interested in maths at the moment and I thought this would be a great chance to develop his skills even further whilst making it fun, and it definitely did! He has really enjoyed the daily testing, and think it is just the right length of time to keep his interest.

I didn't need to. I found the app easy to navigate and fair self-explanatory. The only issue we had sometimes was the app not registering when he had touched something, so then marking it as incorrect.

He enjoyed the daily test and was always keen to complete this and try to get them all right. he also really liked the games, particularly the chameleon and crying wolf game. He tried games which he wouldn't normally be interested in, which has helped develop memory skills and recognising patterns. As a parent, it has been great to support his learning, and watch to see where his strengths/weaknesses might be. it has been nice to sit down regularly together whilst he completes the exercises.

This is the first programme we have used.

I think its really important for children to learn things that they will use in the future, and feel a lot of what this app focusses on does that very well.

Yes absolutely. I bet many friends would be happy that rather than playing games on tablets that they were doing something/playing games that would benefit their education.

firsttimemother Tue 11-Jun-19 11:27:33

To practise for the 11+.

Yes and they were helpful and knowledgeable.

The "virtual world" is excellent and at first it was a brilliant incentive for my child to do their 15 minutes every day. In this respect, Smartick beats the competition.

Not as good as BOFA. I pay for BOFA but I wouldn't pay for Smartick.

Didn't notice this - my child's questions seemed very easy and I don't think they did any maths reasoning or problem solving.

No, as I think BOFA is better. Smartick was not challenging enough for my child and didn't react quickly enough to their level. They also hated the way the progress bar turned to red if they made a mistake. My child's really busy and I think it's a better use of 15 minutes a day to do a BOFA ten-minute test than to waste time answering questions that are too easy on Smartick. For that reason, we stopped after a week. Sorry for the negative feedback - I do think the virtual world incentive is excellent, just the maths content needs improving.

ElBanana Tue 11-Jun-19 11:28:21

I do not think that the standard of maths being taught in our school is very high. Also, my daughters are lacking in confidence with maths despite making good progress at school. I wanted something to inspire enjoyment in the subject.

I received a call, very polite and professional asking for feedback and whether we had any issues. It was too early to know whether there were any real problems, they had only done a handful of sessions at that point.

After they got past the initial unfamiliarity of the app and the way some of the questions need to be answered all of the children loved it. They like the avatar and how they can save up stars to buy pets. They also find the sessions fun, more like a quiz than a test.

This week my eldest (12) came home from school having understood and enjoyed everything in an algebra class. She hadn't needed any help with it because she had learned it all already from Smartick.

I have never used any other programmes but the children say that it is more enjoyable than the one they use at school (mathletics?).

Great because this was all new to my children. It obviously isn't being prioritised at our school.

I would, although I think the cost is too high for us with 3 children.

Pigeonpea Tue 11-Jun-19 11:43:02

To offer an extra support in a safe environment, where mistakes can be made and we can learn together. To support current school work.

I did via e-mail, they were supper responsive and very polite, friendly and engaging.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? Completing the challenges and getting stars. Thinking about problems in a different way.
What do you as a parent like about Smartick?
It made me think and understand what math is being taught in school today.
It was easier to load and follow and dip into extra challenges - overall it was more fun and stimulating

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills?LOVE IT!!!!

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family?YES!
I loved the variety of the math problems and the opportunity for my little one to go back and correct ones that first time she had gotten wrong. It was learning in a positive framework.
My little one loved the challenges and building up of stars.

I liked the feedback summary.

Initially, I was a little bit wary of the avatar and the world they lived in and the fact you built up stars to buy items. I did take a deep breathe when my little one said; 'oh Mum, you can make friends on line'
So, I asked my 6 year old what she thought about this and I breathed a sigh of relief when she said ' You don't make friends on-line Mum, its dangerous'
So for me, they friends network part could definitely be erased from the package.

tracy68 Tue 11-Jun-19 11:54:18

1. My son sometimes struggles with concepts and asking for help, so I wanted him to have the chance of backing up his knowledge with an "in home" experience.
2. Didnt contact any one
3. My son like the home page and being able to change the characters appearance. We both liked the way the questions were set out, visually appealing with a relaxing approach, so he didnt feel overwhelmed trying something new.
4. Smartick is similar to a maths and timetables program they do in school and this was a positive thing for him as he felt comfortable due to the similarities between programs.
5. It was a great in-depth programme, to aid alongside the curriculum already taught in school. However, the assessment of my sons answers and ability, especially speed, seemed to knock his confidence and he soon become abit despondent.
I also felt that it was unnecessary to include the speed at which a child works as this doesn't factor into the methods in a classroom setting.
6. I would only recommend this program for pupils who grasp concepts quickly and confidently. My son enjoyed the working out and when he had the right answer, felt a great sense of achievement, but as he works at a slower pace, he said he felt not good enough and lost interest.

itsonlysubterfuge Tue 11-Jun-19 12:42:52

1. My daughter is home educated and I use this a daily Math lesson rather than help with Math.
2. Someone from Smartick did reach out and talk to us on the phone and it was an extremely helpful phone call. Although I found both the website and app very easy to use, my daughter was struggling with their being visiual motivators of the time. They were able to remove them and I saw her confidence improve.
3. My daughter loves that it's on the tablet and that she can do it herself. She loves the virtual world and is really motivated by earning "ticks". I love that it's helping with her confidence in doing things and it's okay to get them wrong. I love that she can correct her mistakes after. It's quick and easy, but she actually likes doing her homework. Normally she would literally run screaming when I said it's homework time, but now she happily comes.
4. I haven't used other math specfic Math programmes, but I did use EdPlace and I find Smartick is more interactive and more engaging. she actually enjoys using Smartick.
5. I think that it's really important that it shows how math can be used in everyday situations. It's also good to show children how to apply their learning to other areas of life and figuring out things for themselves.
6. I would definately recommend Smartick to anyone. It is very enjoyable and easy to use. You can use it on the PC or download the app. My daughter is on the autistic spectrum and I like that I can customise different aspects to help her out. The customer service was extremely helpful and so pleasant to deal with. Great company and program.

ningaj Tue 11-Jun-19 13:09:25

My son is 5 and started in reception this year. He seems to really enjoy maths and so wanted to try Smartick in order to build on what he is learning at school.

I haven’t spoken to anyone via phone or email.

He loved winning the ticks and storing up enough to buy things. He liked the questions initially but found them quite repetitive after a while, and not varied and challenging enough.

It’s a much nicer to look at, more user friendly program. Being able to ‘collect’ your ticks to buy things is a huge motivator (for my son anyway!!)

I liked the way the problems were present in a non-traditional format. I also liked the use of every day objects in the shape / 3D shape questions as that prompted my 5 year old to find similar shaped objects around our house.

Yes - I think it’s a good additional resource to have and presents things in a new and interesting way. I think the price would be very restrictive for most of my friends and family though.

HayleyCooper8 Tue 11-Jun-19 13:23:36

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths My daughter Isabella Age 10 has always really struggled with Maths and wanted to improve her confidence, I'm not always the best to help her as I can get frustrated!!

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I have spoken to a couple of friends whose children also struggle with Maths and I also spoke to Isabella's teacher about it as they like to know what other things the students are doing at home to help them with their schoolwork.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? Isabella loved the fact she could just get on and do it herself, she found it very easy to use and navigate the system and the fact she could then go and add things to her house afterwards it was very much aimed at letting the children take control whch was great.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional mathprogrammes you may have used? Much easier to use and very child friendly I could just let Isabella get on with it herself and she never/rarely asked for any help

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Great it's good that they can sit and do it themselves

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes and i have already it's such a great programme and really holds the children's attention in a way that makes it enjoyable

LackBladder Tue 11-Jun-19 13:44:52

What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?

Improve confidence and practise for 11+ and entry exams coming up.

No, I didn't need to speak to them.

As a child who struggles with maths (dyslexic, dyspraxic) this really surprised her (and me) and she enjoyed it, and willingly got on with it with no prompting.

I think they’re all fairly similar, but this was particularly easy to navigate.

I think it’s really important. She struggled a little, but has definitely benefited from the ongoing sessions.

Yes, I thought it was a great way of getting children to do maths. She enjoys it, and that’ll do for me..

Thank you.

tilting Tue 11-Jun-19 13:54:05

My son struggles the most with maths. He really needs alot of support when new concepts are introduced. I wanted something to support him and improve his ability in maths which is why I signed up.

No.

My child thought it was a fun challenge and he genuinely did enjoy doing his sessions He likes customising his avatar and playing with the other games on the site as a reward for himself.

As a parent I like the email report you get.

I have used my maths from school. It doesn't seem to have questions that are similar to what they usual do at school. Some of the questions were worded confusing to my child. I felt the questions could be too repetitive and wasn't varied.

I didn't realise that these skills were being tested!

Nope. I think there are better programs out there. It's too expensive for what it is. I don't know if it follows the school curriculum. The questions are too similar and repetitive. I would not recommend. Sorry.

bunnymum9 Tue 11-Jun-19 14:13:22

My daughter has been struggling with maths, although she has been always excellent with English. I want her to fill this gap.

No, although I may need to contact them, as there seem to be lots of technical problems with it. My daughter always complains about the problems, which stops her working.

She loves games and earning points. It is great for me as she could do the work on her own.

She has been doing Kumon maths. For Kumon I have to mark her work sheets every day, but Smartick does not require me to do that, which is great! However, as she works on Smartick on her own, I tend not to see what she is really working on there.

That is one of the great aspects of Smarticks. Kumon do not have any of those aspects from my point of view.

Depends on cost.

WhenDoISleep Tue 11-Jun-19 14:35:41

1.What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?

Primarily I was hoping to encourage DS2 (7) to consolidate his current knowledge before the start of year 3, to ensure he has a good grasp of the basics.

No I had no need to contact anyone, as I found everything fairly intuitive.

DS2 really didn’t like it at all and it was a struggle to even get him to complete the first session. Since then he refuses to use it again, although we still have time on the subscription so he may try again in a few weeks. DS1 flatly said he would not use it at all. As parent, I am somewhat on the fence about the program as we haven’t used it enough to see if the content is appropriate and helpful in meeting our aims in using it. On the over all design and feel of the program, I think that it is slightly clunky and not as slick as might be expected these days from a user point of view. I found the accents used by the program fairly grating and some of the language was not usual in an English based maths curriculum. I also was not impressed by the virtual world and based on comments from the other testers I am not happy that my child’s full name (which is completely unique in the world) would be visible to other users. I found the overall look and feel of the program to be geared towards the younger end of the user scale too.

Both of my DC have also used Mathletics and Time Tables Rockstars. I think both these programs are much better developed than Smartick. The Smartick subscription is also very costly in comparison and I certainly don’t feel it is value for money.

I think both these skills are incredibly valuable to have and develop, however none of the content I saw was focused on this.

As it stands, no I would not. I am continuing to encourage DS2 to try the program again, so my opinion might change in the future, but given my initial impressions this is highly doubtful.

MsMarple Tue 11-Jun-19 14:39:07

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths.
I wanted to entice my eldest to continue practicing maths now that the SATs are over, just to retain his maths-fluency over the holidays before starting a new school, and he is always keen on screen based things!

Yes, my youngest lost a pet, and they emailed the next day with instructions of how to find it.

My kids wen't really keen on the learning sessions, but they liked the virtual world afterwards so they were happy to do the maths bit. The eldest did some constructive competitions there, but mostly fun games, the youngest changed his hair colour a lot!

I haven't used any other programmes before.

I hadn't noticed this emphasis particularly, but maybe my kids aren't at that stage yet. I liked the variety of different problems though and the fact that it seemed well matched to their ability level.

Possibly to friends who have disposable income, as it is quite pricey, and if their children had their own computers to use. In our house there is only one laptop, and so between them both doing the session and playing the games that they wanted to do afterwards it became quite time consuming. Also, although the ticks for completion (and the ones that encouraged you to make corrections) were a good motivator for my youngest, I think they weren't such a good thing for the older child. I saw him select 'don't know' towards the end for questions and when I asked him why he said 'there's no point, I got some wrong before so I won't get another tick now'. So we had a chat about attitudes to learning....
Also I'd caveat that although it says parents don't need to help with the answers, a lot of my kids' wrong answers and slow responses at first came from simply not understanding the instructions as the vocabulary is sometimes very different from what they are used to at school in the UK, and some of the tasks/features weren't clearly explained and so they discovered them through trial and error. Maybe it is a translation issue, and obviously it is good for them to learn new ways of describing things, but it did knock their confidence a little at first. I tend to hover nearby now to make sure they understand the task.

Overall though my children enjoy it. Although they don't request to complete a session themselves, they are happy to do so if I remind them, and I can see that the extra practice is benefiting them.

1969angep Tue 11-Jun-19 14:48:55

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? Lucas is quite good at maths but can be a bit lazy so it was a good way for us to assess at home where his strengths and weaknesses are
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I received a phone call from Smartick where they wanted to check if we had any queries and whether the sessions seemed to be at the right sort of level. We had no issues but it was nice to have contact
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? Lucas loved the immediate feedback of a tick when he go the answer right. I liked that as a parent we got feedback too by e-mail
programmes you may have used? We haven't really tried any others. Although we have access to Mathletics via school we've never used it at home.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? We liked the sequence based questions and Lucas has quickly become much better at these. Sometimes we found it hard to understand what was being asked at first so got things wrong because we misunderstood the questioning.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes, by and large I think it's a fun programme and because it's relatively quick each day it doesn't feel too onerous (in fact we just refer to it as a maths game!)

Lent1l Tue 11-Jun-19 19:04:52

I just wanted to see if there was something additional I could be doing to help her confidence.

No

She seemed to enjoy trying the questoins but did not like listening to the questoin so I had to read them all out to her.

I did not find this one as intuitive and also it did not easily allow me to select a different level if the questions ins seemed too easy.

It seemed in line with how she is taught already.

It seems expensive and we didn’t get on that well also I’d prefer something she doesn’t have to do every day to avoid the reminders as it depends on what other homework and the day she’s had as to whether we’d sit down to do it.

mashpot Tue 11-Jun-19 19:18:56

DS(7) loves maths so this was a great opportunity for him to try something new. He is not very challenged at school so I like him to have additional exercises to try. DD(4) is in reception and just starting maths so I hope it gives her a good start.

Yes, someone from Smartick called me but I didn't have any questions or concerns.

Both children love it. They really want to make sure they complete their sessions every day. They like getting instant rewards with stars and being able to 'spend' them in the shop. They like the play activities after the days session is done. They like finding out how they did that day via the email I receive. I like the fact they will do the work on their own and I don't have to stand over them!

I have only used physical workbooks and the children obviously prefer doing this programme on the iPad.

I haven't noticed but it is a good way of learning.

I haven't looked at the price so difficult to say. I have read in the other comments that it is expensive so I suppose it would depend how it compares to the price of a tutor. The reason I say this is that I think the game is good fun but I cannot tell how much my children's knowledge and ability are actually developing and whether they are learning new things. DS seems to get 'outstanding' every day which makes me wonder if he is learning anything new. A tutor is perhaps better able to modify their teaching depending on results.

Shatteredmumof2 Tue 11-Jun-19 20:26:28

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)?My son loves maths and after doing this programme it has helped him progress further along to get him to the top set in his year group.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I did! I spoke to a lovely lady on the phone asking me how ly son was getting on and whether I had any questions for her.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? He loved how you can progress to each section and work his way to get certificates.

What do you as a parent like about Smartick? I love being emailed everytime my son finishes his session to let me know how he has done in each section.

programmes you may have used? This is the first time we have tried a maths programme and I cant imagine shopping around for another.

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not. Absolutely! This has helped my son improve on his maths and even his teacher has seen a difference. I love the enthusiasm he shows each day wanting to do his session.

heymammy Tue 11-Jun-19 20:47:40

Ds is particularly good at maths but his teacher doesn't want to single him out by giving him different work to do confused so I was hoping to just give him more fun maths to do as he loves numbers so much

No need, set up was simple

Honestly, his favourite thing is collecting and spending stars in the shop and changing up his avatar! I like that I get an email after every session.

Ds uses Sumdog and to be honest there is no comparison. Sumdog is streets ahead in having really engaging, playable games which ds wants to play over and over again.

Seems fair enough and fits in with the style of learning at school.

Probably not tbh, ds wasn't that keen to do it as it was "a bit boring" and he much prefers Sumdog, which is free. Also, it often wasn't obvious how to answer the questions so he got some 'wrong' when he had actually input the correct answer in numbers but hadn't tapped on the pictures to select them as well.

Paddingtonthebear Tue 11-Jun-19 20:53:22

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? My child enjoys maths at school and I wanted to continue her progress

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? No I didn’t have any contact from Smartick

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? My daughter enjoyed it to start with but there were a few glitches and
Some of the questions didn’t make sense to her. She also found it quite repetitive

She preferred Maths Whizz

5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? This is good, but there is quite a lot of repetition and no options to correct an answer once submitted

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? Yes and no. It’s good but we preferred Maths Whizz and Maths Factor. It’s way too expensive, I don’t know anyone who would pay for it.

embarassedmum2017 Tue 11-Jun-19 21:04:00

My 9 year old needed a bit of stretch as he appears to be capable of more than he is presented with at school. He loves a challenge! My 4 year old will be starting reception and it is a way to prepare her for school.

Someone called but I was at work so couldn’t talk, I received an email asking if we needed any help but we didn’t need any.

There is something about it that engages them, I have never forced them to do it. They tend to ask to go on immediately after breakfast, before school. My 9 year old loves the games after and my 4 year old loves getting the stars as she progresses.
I love the tutorials as there has been a couple of topics that were new to my 9 year old and I encouraged him to check the tutorials which he found easy to understand. I like the mix of maths and reasoning. I like the fact that the sessions are fairly short so not too daunting though I think this is gradually increasing.
I did find that my 4 year old often gets bored with the repetition sometimes. I also think that children should be able to catch up on days missed.

4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmer you may have used?
We have only tried a couple but always dropped out after a couple of months as the children do not tend to use it enough to justify the cost. They are more keen to use this one as they find it more fun to use.

I think it is very important that children are able to apply their maths knowledge to everyday life which is what this allows them to do. I loved seeing my 9 year old talking to himself while trying to figure out some of the not very straight forward questions.

6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I will, it is a very good system but too expensive so I don’t think they would go for it.

LateKate Tue 11-Jun-19 21:24:45

My daughter has been struggling in maths (she finds the speed at which they need to respond to times tables and division stressful) and as such has lost her confidence in that area. My younger and elder son have both ended up doing sessions too and it has been amazing to see their confidence grow.

Yes I had a follow up call from a lady at Smartick, she was very professional and encouraging and set my mind at rest in the early stages when I was slightly concerned about how the friend requests and messaging worked.

They enjoy the rewards of ticks throughout the session- this is especially useful with the four year old who is easily distracted as it keeps him focused moving to the next one. My 7 year old daughter loves the virtual world and challenging people to competitions. My 11 year old finds the tutorials helpful and likes that I get a session report so we can chat about what he found straight forward and what needs work without him having to remember. They are all motivated by reward so the diplomas are a great thing to aim for.

We haven't done any others but I think the session length in these is perfect- many I have looked at last much longer and it's a bigger commitment to fit them into the day and harder to motivate the kids to do so I think Smartick would win on this point alone.

I think this is great and will hold them in good stead in many subjects not just maths. My eldest two both enjoy their bonus problems at the end.

Absolutely, we already have done and several have signed up for the trial at least. I would love to continue it on-going but sadly I think the price for three children to do it is going to be prohibitive (my own fault for letting them all get so into it!) but I can easily see it offers huge value for money compared to getting a tutor and offers a much needed boost if you are only paying for one child. My children are asking if they can do it rather than me reminding them to!

Potsie Tue 11-Jun-19 22:15:19

My daughter has her 11plus next year and she was keen to practice her Maths

I received an email, but didn’t follow it up as I didn’t feel I needed help with anything

My daughter was very happy to work on it every day. Collecting stars and receiving awards worked very well with her. I liked the fact that I could leave her encouraging messages.

This is the first programme that she’s been really enthusiastic about

I think these are important skills to learn

I would, as I think it’s a great way to get children practicing their maths skills, although I think it’s too expensive

lucyrobinson Tue 11-Jun-19 22:31:07

My son loves technology and apps. I’d love him to improve his maths. So learning through his tablet is ideal.

I haven’t spoken to anyone but I really like the emails informing me of his progress and letting me know if he misses a session.

3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions?
He liked building up his stars and spending them. He enjoyed buying a puppy.

What do you as a parent like about
I loved the emails tracking his progress. I loved that he got to correct his mistakes.

We’ve used a few other maths apps. This one is good. My son enjoys it. Not sure I understand the right/left questions.

I love watching my complete the sessions. I think the problem solving skills are great to learn.

Yes. I think anything that encourages maths is great. Love how you can build up stars to buy things for your house.

sebanna Wed 12-Jun-19 09:45:43

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths - My daughter was behind in maths and I felt it would help her catch up.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I was a sent an email from someone saying they had tried to contact me by phone.
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? The children enjoyed collecting stars and buying things for their characters. I enjoyed seeing them make progress and spending time with them. It gave me an idea for where they were up to with maths.
programmes you may have used? I have only used " hit the button" which is very different to smart ticks, as it is much cheaper but limited to testing basic maths' information.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? Only have done a few logic problem, my son kept trying to whizz through them without reading them through properly.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I have enjoyed using smarticks and would like to recommend but too expensive.

I found the children sometimes got stressed due to the timer element of the programme, this stress sometimes prevented them from concentrating on solving the actual problem. Also it would be nice if parent's could have some control on the areas covered in the daily sessions.

Zoozoo101 Wed 12-Jun-19 10:43:16

My DD loves maths so I thought this would be a fun way to extend her learning beyond what she does in Y1. esp during half term and wet weekends when she likes to keep learning.

n/a

She liked getting the answers right. Some wrong answers were due to technical or translation issues (I think the English version needs tweaking to tie in with the British maths curriculum). We have belatedly found the games which she loves. I like the app as I know she enjoys it and feels like she's achieving something. It has been interesting for me to see what she has learnt at school (and can therefore do on Smartick) as there seems to be a lack of knowledge on my part of what maths she is learning.

Can only compare to the one used by the school for occasional homework but its not a weekly homework task so its useful having the regular use of this.

I think it is very useful and beneficial.

maybe - but I suspect the cost of it would be an issue. Also it needs to be more English in terms of the language and the way the questions are written eg I hadn't heard of the work rekenrek, although we worked it out.

Mabellucieattwell Wed 12-Jun-19 11:17:30

My main motivation was to keep up her knowledge over the holiday periods. She loves maths and likes using computers so this seemed an ideal choice.

I did have a call from someone and it was extremely helpful. My daughter was finding the time bar along the top very stressful when it turned red. The lady I spoke to on the phone switched that facility off and it now stays green! Much better for DD.

She likes doing the programme on the computer but hates the fact she has to do 15 minutes. She would prefer to have to complete a section and then move on. She is quite quick so that would probably mean her spending less time on it. During term time this would be better as she has quite a lot of prep to do. I like the fact it assesses them and changes the work according to what level they are at.

Not used any.

This is great and I think very important.

I like the program and think most kids would like it but it is incredibly expensive. I certainly would only sign up to use it over the long summer holiday.

mandes1 Wed 12-Jun-19 11:32:38

My son really enjoys maths, but I felt that he still struggled in several areas. As he will be going into Year 3 next year, I thought the programme would really help to give him an extra boost.

No, I did not need to speak to anyone from Smartick.

My son really enjoyed the completing the lessons and also he liked that he had the opportunity to go back and re-do the questions he got wrong. He also liked the sound when he got a question right. I liked that the programme was easy for him to go through the questions. It was bright and engaging and very appropriate for my son's age (7).

Smartick has engaged my son very well. It does seem to be aimed at his age group 5-8, I would say.

It is absolutely crucial for children to learn critical thinking and problem solving skills. It would help them in other areas of their learning and life. It is important at my son's stage on the verge of entering year 3 where independent thinking will become more useful.

I would recommend Smartick to friends and family. It is a great programme for kids, but it would need to be affordable and have options for multiple children within the family.

Thank you.

Bryna Wed 12-Jun-19 12:26:24

To get a sense of where they are and what their weak points might be.

I haven’t spoken to anybody.

My eldest (14) liked to be able to do challenges against other people. My youngest loved being able to buy a dog! My youngest (5) found it very repetitive and it didn’t vary the questions enough, even though every session he was getting 100%.

The oldest two use Corbett maths, they preferred to use this as it was more game based, however you’re unable to select topics to concentrate on.
This is the best bit, thinking laterally, and using different ways to do things.
Probably not due to the price! The idea is great and the kids are happy to use it, but a subscription is expensive.

edwardcullensotherwoman Wed 12-Jun-19 13:33:00

This has been one of the best tests so far, my children have loved it! DS1 (11yo) hasn't missed a day since I signed up grin

Here's my full feedback -

To get them to build on what they learn in school. Also to give them more of a bilingual aspect, since they learn everything in school through the medium of Welsh.

2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? I had a message left and an email offering support if I needed it, but I haven't needed to contact them so haven't spoken to anyone directly.

My children loved the idea of building up their ticks, and the motivational announcements along the way. My eldest has had a couple of the "diploma" style achievements too which has fuelled his want to continue.
The younger ones love the play section with the store, treehouse, well etc too.
I like that I can go in and check on their progress and that I could add in additional incentives of my own if I wanted to. The daily emails telling me what they've done and how well they did are really good, and the emails reminding me that they haven't completed a session are really handy.

I've never used this type of programme before.

I think it's great, the way the questions are set out for them is very engaging and has definitely helped improve their problem solving skills.

Yes I would. It's fun and engaging, and the little rewards along the way are brilliant. The content tailors itself well to their age, curriculum and ability so it's generally very relevant.

edwardcullensotherwoman Wed 12-Jun-19 13:34:57

I forgot to add that it's great across several platforms. We've used it in Safari, the iPad app (my favourite as even the 4 year old can go in by herself now!), on a PC via Chrome and the eldest even used his iPhone (via Safari).

lorka Wed 12-Jun-19 13:41:13

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths?
I wanted my daughter to practice maths outwith school and to help increase the speed of her mental maths.

Someone did call but I never spoke to them.

I thought it was very well laid out and easy to navigate for children. Both my child and I like that the answers could be corrected at the end for more gold stars. My daughter enjoyed making the avatar and being able to buy items from the shop once she had enough ticks. I also liked the feedback summary so I could see how my daughter got on.

I have never used another online maths programme

I think it is very important for every day life

Yes, I would recommend Smartick to friends and family. It is very child friendly and can be done by themselves at their own pace.

Cosmia Wed 12-Jun-19 17:02:37

I wanted to keep my DS interested in maths - he gets a bit bored with the standard stuff from school as it is quite repetitious (tho I do appreciate this is critical for learning). I also wanted something my DD could do, she is younger but keen to copy what he does.

No contact.

Kids really liked it, very visually attractive and nicely presented. The voice over aspect helped them be independent too.

Havent used other online programmes. Sessions were a bit long and it would have been nice to have more adjustability in terms of their ability.

Liked it - took a while for my DS to get his head around them but once he got it, he really enjoyed.

Yes definitely, really usable and easy. Very child friendly and attractive.

marymanc Wed 12-Jun-19 18:08:10

1. What is your main motivation for getting your child or children to do additional maths practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? My son is autistic and struggles a lot with maths. I thought it would be good to let him try something different to practice.
No. I received some reminder email that I found useful.
It was easy to use, it was fun.
programmes you may have used? This is the first online maths programme my child have tried and he found it very interactive and creative compared to traditional maths.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I think it is the best approach to teaching maths to children.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? I would definitely recommend it as it keeps you informed on your child's progress and it challenged my son without being too hard.

Jaderice21 Wed 12-Jun-19 18:15:49

practice (e.g. to improve current grade, to progress beyond what they are currently taught at school, etc.)? I wanted my daughter to take part as I know how much she loves learning and though it was a brilliant opportunity she has done it every day and been so excited to log in and learn.
2. Did you end up talking to someone from Smartick via phone or email – whether you reached out or they did? Was it helpful? yes I had an email conversation and let them know what I thought so far thought the whole process was nice to talk to someone about smartick makes me believe they care about the programme
3. What did your child enjoy about the sessions? What do you as a parent like about Smartick? Emily liked the positive reinforcement of the stars and getting the answers right and learning and she liked the interactive area where she could get her person dressed, I liked the daily updates telling me how well she was doing I also liked how much fun she was having learning.
4. How does Smartick compare with other online math programmes or traditional math programmes you may have used? we've tried a few but my daughter has been more engaged with smartick.
5. What do you think of the emphasis on children learning critical thinking and problem-solving skills? I think it important to help them with the learning journey and in later life.
6. Would you recommend Smartick to friends/family? Why or why not? yes and I have as i am so impressed .im also writing blog post about how good it is x

Nonstoplaundry Wed 12-Jun-19 18:16:27

1. The main motivation was for my son to improve his maths knowledge in preparation for the 11plus test later this year.
2. No, I didn't need to contact anybody from Smartick.
3.My son really enjoyed the sessions, he found it fun and got to do competitions in the virtual world, which he enjoyed.
As a parent, I liked the fact that my son could get on with the session without too much supervision and nagging. I also liked that I got detailed feedback each time and that he could do the full session using the iPad.
4. We haven't used any other online programme apart from the one from school. The school one requires using a PC which is not as user friendly as using a tablet.
5. I'm not sure about the critical thinking skills as I didn't actually see any of that whilst he was using it, although I would definitely encourage this type of learning.The problem solving was great, that's the kind of maths my son enjoys.
6.yes I would, depending on how much it would cost. It seems like a well thought out package and definitely encouraged my son to practice maths more often.
Thanks for the opportunity to try it!

EsmeeMerlin Wed 12-Jun-19 18:18:35

My eldest son Michael is in reception and is advanced in maths and seems to have a gift for it. He picks it up quickly and can sometimes get bored with maths lessons at school. I wanted to try the maths programme to see if it would challenge him and be personalised for his ability.

Did not have any contact with anyone from Smartick

He really did not enjoy it, he found the session quite repetitive in its questions and we could not navigate the site to choose which maths topic he wanted to do. One session seemed to be repeatedly asking him which object was full/empty. He got bored after a few questions. We also found it was not really personalised to his ability. Many of the questions were really simple and not at all challenging.
I liked the sessions are timed and the child can earn ticks and rewards but ultimately as my son did not like it, we would not use it again.

We use the site discovery education espresso which has maths, english, science etc and all the other subjects children do at school and find it much better. It has activities, videos, printable resources and games and covers everything. You also have the ability to choose which activity the child does so you can do an activity on the 2x tables one night and then fractions the next depending on what the child is doing in school.

I think it is important.

No we would not. It failed to get my son's interests and I think there are better websites for home learning.

KellylMetcalf Wed 12-Jun-19 19:04:29

She loves maths and Wanted to help her progress further

I didn’t speak to anyone

She enjoyed seeing her reach each progress star in the session. And she loves the addition of the games.
I love that they test her and give her work at her level.

Best one we have used!

Helps keep them thinking rather than just seeing numbers.

Yes I would recommend. It’s helping my daughter do maths faster and she has enjoyed it so much.
Thank you for letting us have the opportunity to test the app.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »