Talk

Advanced search

UK MNer with at least one child aged 4-14? Sign up to test Smartick’s online after-school maths programme

(158 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-May-19 16:17:32

Smartick are looking for Mumsnet users and their children to trial its online after-school maths programme for children. This product test is open to all UK MNers with at least one child between the ages of 4 and 14, that have access to an internet-enabled computer/laptop or tablet. Selected testers will receive a six-month subscription (a value of over £100) to Smartick after testing is completed and have up to 4 weeks to try and review it.

Here’s what Smartick have to say: “Smartick is an award-winning, AI-based, online maths programme designed to develop mathematical abilities in children ages 4 to 14. Smartick promotes an understanding of maths through personalised and accelerated learning by adapting to each child's level and learning pace in real time, allowing them to work according to their maths needs and capability. Each child has a unique and personalised path that constantly adjusts to help fill in gaps in knowledge.

There are more than 20,000 users of Smartick in over 100 countries. e've collaborated with the MIT G-Lab and been published by Harvard Business Review and Forbes as well as featured as an app favourite by Apple.”

Selected testers can register for the program through a web browser on their PC or by downloading the Smartick app available for iOS or Android tablets. Smartick recommends that children work on their daily 15-minute sessions at least 5 days per week. This is not mandatory however it is suggested to get a better scope of the program.

All testers will be required to leave feedback on a thread on Mumsnet and also fill in a short survey, everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where 3 MNers will win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

To sign up to test Smartick, please click here.

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-19 09:30:53

Hi @DC3dilemma

We are always up front about geographical recruitment and any restrictions about this are often due to postage restrictions. The majority are UK only, however the selection process is random so it's just chance that you haven't been selected.

Megansmumsie Mon 13-May-19 18:27:08

I home educate my daughter and she'd love to give this a try, she really enjoys maths and we try to keep as up to date with the curriculum as possible.

Jaderice21 Tue 14-May-19 21:54:18

applied thank you

abdou1 Wed 15-May-19 00:02:32

ohh

Xdaniellejadex Wed 15-May-19 01:02:17

We think this was posted on the wrong thread.

Scoleah Thu 16-May-19 15:56:08

We were chosen YAY!
So looking forward to trying this with my daughter.
Thank you

yermawyabas Thu 16-May-19 16:18:51

My sons already done his first session and is loving it. Thank you for selecting us.

icklekid Thu 16-May-19 16:21:53

Haven’t managed to get through the first session with my reception age son who loves maths. It was very repetitive and boring. I wonder if because he is still 4 it is only showing him very basic questions? Doubt I can persuade him to try again... the questions were more appropriate for his 2 year old sister- full, empty, above, below, colours etc...

FlowTeeBowTee Thu 16-May-19 16:39:18

Also been chosen and looking forward to trying with DD

Paddingtonthebear Thu 16-May-19 18:35:17

Also been chosen, DD has just had a play around on it. So far so good.

£400 a year or £39 a month if you only have one child tbough. That’s a lot!! Will be interesting to see what we think of it. I thought Maths Whizz was expensive at £19.99 a month!

bigKiteFlying Thu 16-May-19 20:10:51

We got chosen - I signed in via their webpage for Mumsnet.

The e-mail saying, we were chosen says 4 weeks to test it yet the subscription says till 30 May which isn't 4 weeks. So I'm wondering if others have that or it's not gone through correctly?

Both my children in age range had a go today - still on assessments - they seemed okay with it so far. Ds found some explanation for questions bit unclear, but one example and he was fine – DD2 was a slow though it was bit late for her to be doing maths as we’ve had stuff on today.

Though do agree with Paddingtonthebear it's pricy - especially compared to other maths sites - so will be interesting to see how we get on.

Yvonne1988 Thu 16-May-19 22:11:29

My 8 year old did her first day today and some more she really liked it. I like the report you get saying where she needs improvement. I think it will be good and I said if it isn't expensive I would sign up when it's over but at the price... I don't pay that much a month for anything ....

Yvonne1988 Thu 16-May-19 22:19:27

Mine is also saying I only have until he 30th but I definitely went through the link

cannotmakemymindup Thu 16-May-19 22:54:05

Same problem as others where it doesn't seem to do 6 month trial but just 15 days.

OogieMcBoogie Thu 16-May-19 22:59:21

Yes 15 day trial here too, though I signed up through the link on the email sent by Mumsnet.

yermawyabas Fri 17-May-19 00:06:50

Where on it do you see how long subscription is for? I can't see anything at all.

cannotmakemymindup Fri 17-May-19 00:26:18

If you look at subscriptions it says when it would start the paying one and currently say from 1st June which would suggest their 15 day free trial period and not the six months we're meant to get.

Anyone else having it in Spanish technically to?

OogieMcBoogie Fri 17-May-19 07:15:39

We’re just looking at it now, few technical difficulties already. One of the pictures to be copied completely disappeared

bigKiteFlying Fri 17-May-19 09:37:35

They had their second go this morning - they still seem to be being assessed- does seem to have found few areas DS is not great with – I know he’s done them but perhaps they haven’t been covered for a while. DD2 just seems slow on lots of things.

I do like the e-mail feedback that’s a nice feature but not sure if that because they are still being assessed.

No Idea what's going on with the offer why its seems to come up with 15 days despite going through the correct link.

Yvonne1988 Fri 17-May-19 09:58:19

My daughter did her 2nd day this morning and it said that it's not assessment tomorrow it's times table and division. I love the feedback I think that's great

GinUp Fri 17-May-19 10:36:51

Mine says it's until 30th May.

The OP says: "Selected testers will receive a six-month subscription (a value of over £100) to Smartick after testing is completed and have up to 4 weeks to try and review it." so I'm assuming that we get the 6mth code after we've done the review.

DD did her 1st day yesterday. There were a couple of glitches that were annoying:

- The onscreen keyboard suddenly stopped working, which affected DD's response time for that section.

- There was a question that asked what 11 + 11 was but gave the answer as 21. confused It was annoying as DD had answered 22 and so lost her run of correct answers.

The questions seemed very easy for an 8yr-old (although I appreciate that DD is still at the assessment stage). Her questions were things like "Count how many objects are in the box".

DD loved the games area though and only switched it off because we had to go out.

bigKiteFlying Fri 17-May-19 10:37:06

The e-mails today said they were still being assessed tomorrow could be because they are at the older end of age range.

It does look like DD2 can do them but is slow - something that perhaps her teachers are missing in the busy classroom - could explain why her annual Welsh tests always seem on low side compared to what her teachers assess her as. It’s certainly interesting thing to keep an eye on.

bigKiteFlying Fri 17-May-19 10:40:00

GinUp - that could be it with the subscription - I was worried I'd done something wrong with setting it up.

SueVide Fri 17-May-19 10:54:07

Does anyone know if you can use this on a kindle fire?

GinUp Fri 17-May-19 13:43:57

SueVide - According to this website you can use it on a Kindle Fire:

raisinglifelonglearners.com/smartick-math-homeschool-math-for-all-ages/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »