Talk

Advanced search

Read Mumsnet users feedback on the new Kinder Ice Creams

(214 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Apr-19 09:55:04

This is the feedback thread for the Mumsnet users who tried the new Kinder Ice Cream Stick and the Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich with their families.

Here’s what Kinder Ice Cream has to say: “KINDER Ice Cream Stick and KINDER Ice Cream Sandwich are all 100 calories or less and made with fresh milk. Each variant comes in small portion sizes, with packs featuring a ‘Responsibly Made For Kids’ logo* that will help families make the right choice when it comes to enjoying a tasty treat as part of a balanced and varied diet.*”

Testers please answer the following questions:
- Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream?
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike?
- Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not
- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not.
- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?

Selected testers will be required to leave their feedback on a thread on Mumsnet. All testers who leave the required feedback will be entered into a prize draw where 3 MNers will win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

*Wall’s Responsible Made for Kids logo means they have been formulated to meet our set nutritional criteria for calories, saturated fat and sugar as part of the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan – meaning that no kids ice creams will contain more than <110kcal and <3g saturated fat per single serving and <20g added sugar per 100g.

Scoleah Mon 29-Jul-19 20:19:32

Were the winners drawn for this @EllieMumsnet ? X

ReeReeR Sat 27-Jul-19 20:50:22

I just tried these and was a bit disappointed that they taste v much like mini mills with a bit of chocolate but quite a bit more expensive...

Swimmingwithsharks Mon 27-May-19 23:06:05

Overall we were very satisfied with the Kinder ice cream sticks. According to my son, the ice cream wasn’t too sweet and there was just enough of the chocolate. If it was fully dipped it would’ve been too much. He also liked the contrast in texture.
The only think he disliked about it was that he thought the wooden stick was too long and hampered his ice cream scoffing!
Yes I would choose this product over other ice cream treats as the size is perfect and they are not overly sweet. However I do think they are quite expensive. ( And actually almost impossible to find in our local supermarkets). I would recommend the product. It is a treat without being overly sweet or complicated.
Haven’t found the Kinder ice cream wafers, but still keeping an eye out for them...

RachHoney Wed 08-May-19 11:48:30

Overall - dissatisfied

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?
Good size for little hands and tummies, but the ice cream itself was bland and the chocolate didn't even taste like Kinder chocolate!

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike?
The wafer went quite mushy, and again the ice cream was rather bland.

- Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not
Honestly, i probably wouldnt due to the price! There are cheaper and tastier alternatives.

- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not.
For very little ones, perhaps toddlers, i would recommend the Stick as its a good size.

- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?
Perhaps ice cream inside a Kinder egg!

legofansmum Sun 05-May-19 22:13:51

Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream?

Very satisfied.

We really enjoyed the taste of it. Kinder is a well trusted brand in our family and I can remember back in the 1980’s my favourite Easter treat was a sort of plastic money box filled with Kinder chocolates and I loved collecting the Teeny Terrapins from Kinder eggs a few years later ! The next generation have always enjoyed Kinder products too. I was honestly thrilled to be chosen for this taste test.

We really enjoyed eating both products and were delighted to be able to share them with my nieces over the Easter break.

What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?

I really enjoyed the mixture of creamy vanilla ice cream - it just had a sort of ‘milky Kinder’ taste about it with the combination of the delicious, unmistakably Kinder chocolate on the top. They were small , so part of me thinks that it could be bigger , but then we’d be consuming more calories. It was definitely big enough to satisfy a sweet craving. I enjoyed the product and the only comment I can make would be that maybe I’d prefer a price of £2:50 than £3:50. I liked the fact they’re made with whole milk, so is a good source of calcium for young children.

I also shared them between my son and two nieces. All three of them enjoyed them and they all said that they particularly enjoyed the Kinder chocolate on the top. There were no complain from the children and two out of three are a second one straight away!

What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike?

I absolutely loved these. They felt quite ‘retro’ in a way and took me back to the 1980’s and a pleasant flashback of eating ice cream biscuit sandwiches as a child at the seaside! I loved the combination of biscuit and creamy ice cream and felt they go together well like ‘salt and vinegar’, ‘egg and cress’ 99 ice cream with a chocolate flake etc! I found them to be a smallish, yet satisfying size and one would be perfectly adequate for me as a sweet treat after a meal. I’m wondering if maybe these would be preferred my adults or older teens.
What I didn’t like was the difficulty finding them, it took me around 8 visits to different supermarkets to track them down, the Kinder Sticks in the other hand were easy to find as were a different ‘cornetto type’ Kinder variety.

The children weren’t as keen on these ones. They all said that the Kinder sticks were their favourite and no one asked for a second. They said they’d eat them if there were no other types of dessert on offer but they certainly wouldn’t choose them. I wonder that if they half dipped in yummy Kinder chocolate would their minds be changed?!

Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not.

I would buy Kinder Ice cream again , however, I would be a little reluctant to pay £3:50. I’d prefer £2:50 and if it was on offer it’s the sort of thing I’d probably buy extra of to stock up. I think if we were out and about for the day it could easily be a product we’d purchase- eg I bought a packet of the ‘cornetto style’ Kinder ice creams out of curiosity and I think they would be a lovely treat at the seaside etc..

Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not

I would definitely recommend. We shared these with my nieces and their Mum who said they’re the perfect size for a week day meal after dinner treat. I’d happily recommend to school mum’s , in fact they’d be great if you were having a few children over after school as 10 per box if great!

I would still buy other treats as we like variety and saving £ too. We’d have these some nights but yoghurt etc.. others.
We also like Fabs and Screwballs as well as having a scoop or two of other ice cream with fresh fruit. I would still buy the other treats but sometimes have the Kinder Ice Cream.

If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?

Well if it was for me it would be either some delicious sort of Kinder Bueno Ice cream bar ( they are my favourite chocolate bars!) or some little Kinder Ice Cream Chocolate Bons- that I’d probably eat far too many of 😳.

For children maybe some kind of Kinder ice cream Hippo or a combination of a Kinder egg and a screwball if it could be done safely. Maybe a delicious mix of milky Kinder ice Cream swirled with chocolate Kinder ripple and a toy in a little - but too big to swallow box at the end. I’m a big kid at heart and I can still fondly remember the excitement of opening a Kinder Egg toy or finding the free gift in a box of cereal!

Thanks Mumsnet and Kinder for choosing us to be part of this taste testing and feedback team. I can honestly say the whole family throughly enjoyed it and good luck with the results and any future products.😀

Anita83 Sun 05-May-19 18:29:52

We were quite satisfied. They taste very good. Althrough we tried ice cream sandwiches, sticks and cones.

Ice cream stick are good for small children. My son like them but prefer cones ones. If I'm honest I do not really like them. They do not taste like other milky ice creams. More like milk mixed with water.

They are okay. My son really like them and he is so fussy with ice cream usually.

Not really. These are too expencive compare to other products/brands.

Yes, I would but in my opinion ice cream cones are best in Kinder range. Other products taste like milk mixed with water and frozen.

Something with nuts and caramel.

LateKate Sun 05-May-19 18:26:06

Thanks for allowing us to be involved with this product test

Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream?test
I wasn't overly keen but the kids enjoyed them.

They liked the taste but they were a bit little for the older two (age 7 and 11) Perfect size for the 4 year old though

I found these really sloppy and a bit sickly but the kids liked them, although got into a mess!

Probably not, if I am choosing a treat then it isn't really based on it being the more healthy option. Also I felt they were priced at an indulgence price point when they didn't really taste that wayway

I think at a more competitive price i would recommend the sticks for people with a little ones but probably not at this price

A proper tub of ice cream that tastes of Kinder Bueno would be amazing

PaddingtonBearHardStare Sun 05-May-19 15:15:24

They were okay for DS size wise but I would have preferred them to be bigger!!

Again the size, they seemed expensive for what they were. DS would have liked more chocolate

I enjoyed it but felt it needed some chocolate. DS wasn't as keen on this one

Only as a treat. I felt they were too expensive to just keep stocked in the freezer

The sticks are only 3 syns on Slimming World so have recommended them at my group

Anything with more chocolate!!

Leannds Fri 03-May-19 22:33:21

We were very satisfied, they tasted very creamy.
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike? We both liked that the taste was so rich and creamy and loved the size of the ice cream stick. It wasn't too big or small. I also liked the minimal packaging.
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike? I like the new concept, however it did lack taste and it didn't feel as supreme as the ice cream stick.
I may do in the future but it would be the ice cream sticks as they taste of the normal excellence of the kinder brand!
Yes, great price and yummy icecream for adults and kids.
I would like it to be a mix of chocolate and sweets in a box. A revels type of idea (Mix of various.. extraordinary flavours).

seccles90 Thu 02-May-19 22:42:04

I WAS SATISFIED KIDS NOT SO MUCH
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike? I liked how creamy they tasted it was a lovely combination but strange at first but soon eating more lol. My kids didn't enjoy the stick one they said it tasted weird (however they also went onto another so maybe it's one of them where when you get used to it you like it and you can't help but grab more)
I liked the wafer round the outside it was delicious my son was amazed that it was called a sandwich and after a lot of persuading come to terms it was an ice cream not a sandwich. My daughter really enjoyed the taste and said it was so creamy!
Honestly at £3.50 per box it is a bit much but if their was a promotion or sale on I would definitely get these for us all I prefer sticks my kids preferred the sandwich. The fact it has fresh milk is just another added bonus knowing my kids are not getting artificial ingidients. The size is good too because it's not too much or oversized its the perfect amount for a snack at any time of the day
Yes as overall we did enjoy them and both boxes were eaten up quickly lol but I would mention it being maybe a luxury treat at the Rrp of £3.50 you don't really get that much and as we are a family of five you have to buy two boxes just for us all to have one each or one has to go without.
Imagine making an ice cream just like kinder surprise eggs where you have to lick your way through the chocolate and ice cream to reveal a special surprise toy/accessory kids would love this.
Also maybe do family box which is a box of the different ice creams maybe two of each product to accommodate bigger sized families

Gemini17 Thu 02-May-19 15:50:38

We found the products very tasty and unusual compared to your standard ice creams.
- Im a lover of the kinder chocolate taste and this really came through in this product. My little one prefered the one on a stick it was easier for her to eat and less messy compared to the sandwich. I would definitely buy the product again however I did find the price a bit expensive so maybe if they were on offer I’d buy. I would reccomend the product to friends and familily.

Trisha1967 Thu 02-May-19 14:21:04

I think the kinder ice creams are amazing my daughter loved them real pricy for a bit of ice cream though highly recommended **

inspiremeland Thu 02-May-19 11:41:16

Yes, our family loved it a lot!

Overall we liked the kinder ice cream stick. Easy to hold and my child enjoyed it the most for sure!
A great taste, chocolate is my favourite favour and this was great! It was just the right size not to be too sugary and was a very satisfying ice cream.

We loved to have the biscuit around the ice cream instead of standard waffle. My child liked it a lot, however we found it a little bit messy.

- Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats?
Please explain why or why not.

Yes, I would. They are a lot more flavorful than other ice creams that we tried.

Yes, I would certainly recommend to my friends. It is different somehow from other typical ice creams.

Hm maybe a bigger size cornetto :D

MrJollyLivesNextDoor Thu 02-May-19 11:29:28

Very satisfied

We liked the ice cream taste, I liked the size although DS would have liked them to be bigger
The chocolate was nice but there could have been more of it

I quite liked these although DS wasn't overly keen and preferred the ice cream stick. They were somewhat bland.

I would - I think they are a good child size for a treat as opposed to say a magnum, and at 35p each quite reasonable

Yes - a nice tasting product at a reasonable price

Ice cream tub

leccybill Thu 02-May-19 11:18:22

Apologies for late feedback. We tried the sticks. Despite a search of supermarkets right across my region and beyond, we never found the sandwich ice creams, much to my daughter's disappointment.
The sticks were akin to a Mini Milk but the chocolate coating was nice and bitey and had that Kinder creamy taste, we'd have preferred it to cover the whole stick though.
I did think £3.50 steep at first but I suppose 35p each is not much at all and a box of ten lasted a long time. They were nice for an after-tea treat. Would probably buy them again but I'd suggest a 2 for £5 offer on the Kinder products.
Thanks for letting us be part of the test.

Danutzik Thu 02-May-19 11:18:16

My kids were really satisfied.
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike? We liked the ice cream sticks. not very sweet but still very tasty
I really like the soft biscuits.
no- it is quiet expensive for what we usually buy. I will keep an eye when on offer.
I will recommend but only if they were on offer.
Something with hazelnuts

The ice cream stick was great as a snack on a hot day .

FannyFifer Thu 02-May-19 11:17:01

Kids weren't very impressed, found them quite sickly, I thought they were bland without much flavour.

We all liked the chocolate covering but there wasn't very much of it.

This was very bland, kids just thought it was boring.

No. Price tag for what you get is too high. Products look and taste cheap.

No I wouldn't recommend as I thought both products were bland and not a treat.

Proper chocolate hazelnut flavour creamy ice cream with chunks of bueno throughout! (Tub sort not cone/stick/sandwich)

Highfivemum Tue 30-Apr-19 11:51:59

Sorry my post came up here. My apologises

Highfivemum Tue 30-Apr-19 11:15:39

Megan had the baby!
I really think Megan has already had her baby I also Think a huge possibility of Twins. She is a very slim lady and she was very large very quickly. Anyone else think the Same ?

countingdown Mon 29-Apr-19 14:06:55

I fee awful that I wasn’t able to but these and taste them prior to the 22 April. Finally managed to get some sticks yesterday, still can’t get hold of the sandwich.

Only tasted the stick but found it really bland, the small amount of chocolate is tasty but the main part doesn’t taste of much.

What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?
The chocolate tastes nice. I like the size - it’s not huge but is a good sized treat. I think my children would like them to be bigger.

Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not
No. They weren’t substantial or tasty enough. Quite pricey too.

Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not.
Not for older children. Mine are 9 and 10. Maybe for younger children, but only if they were on offer.

If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?
Unsure, but something that has more of the kinder chocolate in or on it!

lovetheweekends Mon 29-Apr-19 06:42:24

Not very, my daughter didn’t like them.
We got the bueno cones & ice cream sandwich.
Adults liked the bueno cones.

Sorry didn’t get any stick ice creams.

My daughter did not like these much, she ate the outside but left almost all of the ice cream as she said it tasted weird.

No as they were not liked.

The bueno cones for adults maybe but not for children.

A magnum type ice cream with the kinder chocolate coating and vanilla ice cream inside.

lorka Sat 27-Apr-19 13:01:08

Update - finally managed to track down the ice cream sandwiches. I thought they were quite good but thought the outside biscuit was a little soft for my liking. My children both loved them and would like me to buy them again. smile

Featherbag Fri 26-Apr-19 18:09:36

They were ok, just the right size for a little treat (we tried the ice cream sticks), nice taste and plenty in the box - they were a little bland though.
As above! The kids liked that they were dipped in chocolate.
Didn't try - nearby shop only had the sticks.
Probably not, because of the price.
Again, probably not as I feel for the same price you could get a lot more of a similar product.
Single portion tubs with spoons!

Jammiebammie Fri 26-Apr-19 16:06:03

Has anyone else had difficulty finding either of the kinder ice cream products?
I feel bad I haven’t left a review, but I can’t seem to find them anywhere for love nor money!

SusanWalker Wed 24-Apr-19 15:49:53

I havent been able to find the icecream sandwich anywhere but we have the sticks.

I liked them but my children werent so keen.

They are similar to a mini milk but a bit bigger. I liked the chocolate coating but it would have been nice if it was a bit thicker. There wasnt much there to get a taste.

The middle was nice and did taste like kinder chocolate bars.

I think they are a bit pricey but would probably buy them if they were on offer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »