Talk

Advanced search

Read Mumsnet users feedback on the new Kinder Ice Creams

(214 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Apr-19 09:55:04

This is the feedback thread for the Mumsnet users who tried the new Kinder Ice Cream Stick and the Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich with their families.

Here’s what Kinder Ice Cream has to say: “KINDER Ice Cream Stick and KINDER Ice Cream Sandwich are all 100 calories or less and made with fresh milk. Each variant comes in small portion sizes, with packs featuring a ‘Responsibly Made For Kids’ logo* that will help families make the right choice when it comes to enjoying a tasty treat as part of a balanced and varied diet.*”

Testers please answer the following questions:
- Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream?
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike?
- Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not
- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not.
- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?

Selected testers will be required to leave their feedback on a thread on Mumsnet. All testers who leave the required feedback will be entered into a prize draw where 3 MNers will win a £100 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

*Wall’s Responsible Made for Kids logo means they have been formulated to meet our set nutritional criteria for calories, saturated fat and sugar as part of the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan – meaning that no kids ice creams will contain more than <110kcal and <3g saturated fat per single serving and <20g added sugar per 100g.

Mummabear2212 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:56:38

Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream?

Fairly, they are very small although they taste nice.

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?

I like the size for a treat or for my son but I didn't like the price for the size. And to be honest they weren't very kinder tasting.

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike?

I found them messy to eat and wasn't keen on the biscuit. My son couldn't eat them fast enough to counter act the melting

- Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not

No, I'd buy another brand or supermarket own for less money and slightly bigger. Although I really likebthe calorie and health aspect

- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not.

Yes but I would make it clear they are very small but the health and milk content is unique

- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?

Small portion controlled tubs rather than or as well as the sandwich to solve the melting problem

MimsyBorogroves Mon 08-Apr-19 19:13:29

My boys liked them, but my eldest thought they were slightly too small. They agreed on 3/5.

I liked the sizes for my children. They were a decent size as a treat without going OTT. For me, they were obviously way too small. Youngest loved the ice cream, describing it as "creamy" and liking the "crunch" of the chocolate.

We all agreed these were a super idea, but found the wafer was a bit too soft which spoilt it somewhat for all of us. Again, portion wise I thought these were great for primary school kids.

Sadly not. I'd probably go with mini milk as an alternative as the price for Kinder would be prohibitive.

Again, probably not because of the price over comparative products.

An egg ice cream that tastes like kinder egg. With the Teeny Terrapins range inside. <dreams>

RiSo Mon 08-Apr-19 19:22:17

Satisfied but disappointed.

What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike?
They reminded me of mini milks, but with less taste and much more expensive. I thought the chocolate was nice, but once that was gone it was a very slight tasting vanilla stick. My kids loved them though, I think mainly because they knew they were Kinder. Since they have had one each, the box hasn't been touched and they have reverted to their normal ice creams in the freezer which are bigger and have more taste.

What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike?
These were great to hold as the biscuit type exterior held the ice-cream nicely, meaning no washing up and clean hands and faces. The biscuit had a soggy texture to it, with no real taste, but worked great at keeping the icecream inside. The icecream was similar to the stick, nice but not very flavoursome. My kids didn't like the biscuit bit at all but liked the ice-cream, however they all wanted another one as they were a lot smaller than their normal choice.

Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats? Please explain why or why not
No I wouldn't unfortunately, as they were quite expensive compared to our normal choices, and also small with not much flavour. Both choices are still sat in my freezer as my kids are choosing their normal ice cream treats over these. I expect when there is nothing else left they will go for the Kinder ones until I restock the freezer.

Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not.
I would maybe for a very small child, but not for older children like mine (ages 5, 8 and 9). They are quite expensive which if my boys loved them I would pay, but seeing them sat in the freezer I know my boys wouldn't be bothered about getting them again. If they had a lot more taste and a bit bigger they would be worth the money as my boys love Kinder chocolate.

If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be?
Something more substantial with more flavour. A tub of Kinder ice-cream with chocolate flakes throughout maybe?

DownRightAmazing Mon 08-Apr-19 19:25:06

Place making as I’ve only managed to get hold of one of the types thus far...

elizaco Mon 08-Apr-19 19:25:15

- We were extremely satisfied with the whole range. More expensive than the ice cream treats I normally buy, but also more delicious!
- Liked that the ice cream stick was a cross between a lolly and ice-cream. Easy to eat and good flavour
- The ice cream sandwich was a nice alternative to the usual cone. But expected it to be more chocolatey.
- I would choose it as a treat if on offer. At full price probably not.
- I would recommend the ice-creams. We also tried the cones, and they were definitely suitable for both adults and children.
- I would like to see individual tubs available. Easy to eat and less messy for little ones.

Scoleah Mon 08-Apr-19 19:34:30

It wasn't anything special, would never have guessed kinder made the product at all! Very disappointed!

We didn't manage to test these as they weren't stocked in any of our stores! (We went to 4)

They were extremely small, especially for the Price! You would never guess it was a kinder product, just had usual ice cream in a bland tasting biscuity type top & bottom. My kids thought it was going to be similar to the kinder chocolate bars, or even a hint of that taste. We still have a box left in the freezer! Not a good sign!

No! Very expensive for a tiny treat!

No, didn't taste like a Kinder product, very bland and boring. Much cheaper/tastier alternatives

An icecream with kinder chocolate pieces!

mumsbe Mon 08-Apr-19 19:52:33

Extremly these were delicious

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick?
They were creamy and chocolaty very rich in taste
What did your child like or dislike?
My children loved them they said they were chocolate creamy heaven
We like the sandwich ice cream but it needed a bit chocolate in the middle may be that was what we all thought
Yes because they are very tasty and much better than a average choc bar or ice cream Lolly.
Definatly recommend they are the best ice cream treats we have ever had
Ice cream bueno bar or those ice cream kinder hippos theybwould taste amazing if they were also crunchy.

starlingsintheslipstream Mon 08-Apr-19 20:08:41

Mixed reviews across the household.

I thought the size was great for younger kids but mine (at aged 10+) would have preferred something a bit more indulgent. There wasn't enough chocolate to satisfy them. I found them a bit bland too. Like mini milks but more expensive. The kids thought they were just OK

I liked the taste of these - weird but strangely moreish. Ds2 (aged 10) didn't finish his, but he is notoriously fussy. Ds1 (aged 13) quite happily polished a couple off today. I would imagine they might be quite messy for younger children.

Not at full price, no. My kids are a bit too old for the sticks (as they are quite tiny) and the ice cream sandwich had mixed reviews so I would be more likely to opt for an ice cream that everyone would eat.

Yes. I thought it was a good product and exactly what I would expect from Kinder. It's priced slightly higher than similar products but that is how I think of their chocolate really. Relatively guilt-free to give to kids but you pay a premium for that.

I would expect more chocolate as that is what they are known for.

MessyHairDontCare88 Mon 08-Apr-19 20:15:44

Not at all, very bland and small compared to other similar products
The chocolate was nice, standard kinder chocolate, but there wasn't much of it and the rest tasted just like a mini milk
Didn't like any part of it, very bland
No, we didn't enjoy them and they're expensive for their size
Not as they are no. Bland, small and expensive
Something which had ice cream the flavour of kinder chocolate

Samah09 Mon 08-Apr-19 20:24:59

The size was just right and it was nice to have chocolate on it but would be better if it was fully covered
he did not have have anything negative to say about the sandwich. I liked the fact that the biscuit was soft and hence less mess created
We tried the sandwich and the milk lollies. I liked the fact that they contain calcium, are ow in calories, easy to store and in my opinion a better option in terms of a treat. My son liked the sandwich the most and the soft biscuit. the taste was nice and he liked the milk taste. He enjoyed the chocolate covering on the milk lolly but said that it would be better if there was full coverage. he thought the size was just right.

I would buy it if it were on offer. The lollies seem better in terms of value because there are 10 in a pack so I would more likely buy these

Yes, good value, calcium, a nice treat and low caloried and enjoyed by my son.
A chocolate product with more kinder chocolate. maybe something with a surprise inside!! Now that's a thought!!!

Heathcliff27 Mon 08-Apr-19 20:33:19

Me too placemarking for if/when I find them!!

Crocklebog Mon 08-Apr-19 20:46:25

The kids enjoyed the icecream as they do with all icecream but they said it was nothing special and would not be bothered if I bought them again or not.

The kids liked the chocolate covering and the fact it was on a stick. They felt they were too small, although I liked the smaller portion, which can be hard to find with kid's treats. I liked the fact it had a high milk content.

The kids preferred these to the sticks but I prefer sticks as they are less messy!

I would not choose these at the current price point as I don't feel they have any more to offer than other milk stick icecream at much lower prices.

I think they are expensive for what they are.

I would like to see more of the classic Kinder combination of white and milk chocolate in an icecream format.

WheresTheCoffee Mon 08-Apr-19 21:23:26

We found them to be tasty but overall a bit disappointing.
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike? The chocolate is delicious and a good size but it just didn't feel like a treat and that is what we associate with kinder due to the eggs.
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike? The ice cream is delicious but we found the biscuit to seem soggy and not firm enough.
I wouldn't, for the price they are expensive in comparison with similar products which are available.
- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not. I would recommend them to others, they are tasty, but they are unfortunately priced out of my budget.
- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be? Ice cream with kinder chocolate chunks

Gembo78 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:44:12

My 2 boys loved them!

The price point is too high for the product. The ice creams themselves were great but I would be able to buy comparable products for less.

We did not get to try this as it was not available in any local supermarkets.

Possibly. The children enjoyed them and if they asked me to buy them again as a treat then I would. I did think that they were expensive for what they were and I am not sure that they stand out from the rest of the market.

Possibly. I certainly don't have anything negative to say about them.

We enjoyed taking part and trying something new.

goldenretriever1978 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:08:51

1. Satisfied.

2. I liked the fact that the sticks were low in calorie and fat and not full of e numbers. My children liked the taste of it and the chocolate on the top.

3. I found the taste of the biscuit on the sandwich to be quite unusual and I thought that the size was small. I liked the fact that it was a bit different. My daughter thought that it tasted like gingerbread which she likes and she liked it more than the stick.

4. I wouldn't buy them unless they were on offer as I found the price quite high compared to alternative products.

5. I would recommend Kinder ice cream as it is tasty. I feel that the products are more for small children as they are small.

6. I would like a Cornetto style ice cream with nuts - I am not aware of any Kinder ice cream products apart from the two which we have tested though.

Jamb16 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:19:43

Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream? We really enjoyed the ice cream sandwiches but the sticks weren’t very impressive
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike? I didn’t like the icecream sticks particularly as they didn’t taste like kinder filling to me and were too small for me, although a good size for a child. My child liked the chocolate round the sticks but would have liked a bit more.

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike? We loved the sandwiches, particularly the biscuit part, I felt they worked really well with the ice cream and felt like a bigger treat than the sticks. My child preferred the sandwiches and liked the biscuit part best.
I would choose the ice cream sandwiches as they felt filling and satisfying enough for both myself and my child and I like the fact they are healthier than other treats
- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not. I would recommend the sandwiches as I like the fact they used mainly milk in the ice cream and not too many bad things. However I think they are very expensive for what you get so I am not sure many people I know would buy them at that price, perhaps if they were half price or a buy one get one free offer.
- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be? An ice cream sandwich with some kinder chocolate wrapped round it.

Crazymoo82 Tue 09-Apr-19 10:09:54

My kids 14,10,8 &1 all loved the kinder ice cream sticks however they did not like the sandwich. I have to say I didn’t like the sandwich much myself. Definitely prefer the ice cream stick.

- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Stick? What did your child like or dislike? We all liked the flavour, the kids loved the kinder chocolate and it was just the right amount not to sickly. My ds (1) is teething and I know ice cream isn’t the best for teething but as a treat theses were great.

Honestly like -nothing
dislikes - everything
- Would you choose Kinder Ice Cream as a treat for you or your children over other similar treats?
Please explain why or why not
I don’t think I would not because of taste but I think the price is really Expensive for what you get compared to other brands and with 4 kids i have to make our money go further and £3.50 for 10 ice lollies isn’t really a good deal for me.
I would definitely recommend the ice cream sticks
Bueno ice cream 🤪

ellebell89 Tue 09-Apr-19 10:29:01

Overall, we were all extremely satisfied. Incredibly yummy ice lollies!

The only dislike for the ice Lilly stick was that it wasn't big enough for us adults! No dislike from the children
The dislike for the sandwich was that it was quite "squidgy" if the sandwich itself was harder may have had a different texture.
We have since bought more and are used for an after dinner treat at present! I'm sure we will continue to buy especially during the summer months
We have already recommended them to friends and family as my kids are in love with these! In their words " i give these 100 out of 10 mum"
If a new product was launched in sure it would do well as kinder is so unique. As to what type of product though, Im unsure what to suggest.

outnumbered1234 Tue 09-Apr-19 10:42:06

The children were really excited to try these. They love Kinder eggs and chocolate. We all liked them but to be honest not enough that we would choose these over other options in the shops.

I liked the portion size. They were a much better size than a lot of the other ice cream sticks on the market. The children liked the chocolate covering which they said tasted like the kinder eggs.

The children liked the ice cream sandwiches as they are different from the other ice creams we normally buy. They were a bit disappointed as they did not taste like Kinder in any way and there was no chocolate on them

The smaller size means that I would probably choose them but they would not be what the children picked out.

I probably would not recommend them as I think there are cheaper similar own brand super market products available.

Ice cream with more kinder chocolate in it and something with a surprise involved.

tshirtsuntan Tue 09-Apr-19 13:15:20

My son enjoyed the kinder sticks, he wasn't as keen on the sandwiches as he said they were a little tasteless. The size was good, a treat without being too big.
I would recommend to families with younger children (my son is 10 years old).
After trying the sticks and sandwiches we thought it would be nice to have a more chocolatey kinder ice cream so I bought some of the bueno cones to try and they are perfect! Lots of chocolate and a good size.

armoholt Tue 09-Apr-19 14:24:41

My children tried the ice cream sticks and ice cream sandwich. They ate them just as quick as other brands. I did try one and didn’t really rate them I was expecting the kinder buneo taste but sadly these didn’t deliver.
My children ate them fast they enjoyed them and the box didn’t last long.
- What did you like or dislike about Kinder Ice Cream Sandwich? What did your child like or dislike? My youngest child wasn’t a lover of the sandwich I had to scoop the ice cream out.
I doubt I would choose kinder buneo ice cream as a treat. There expensive at £3.50 a box i would expect them to taste like kinder buneo.
- Would you recommend Kinder Ice Cream to friends or family? Please explain why or why not. Sadly I wouldn’t recommend maybe if they added some kinder taste I would they just tasted bland to me but were a hit with the children.
- If Kinder Ice Cream was launching a new product, what would you like it to be? A milky drink would go down a storm in my house.

SusanWalker Tue 09-Apr-19 14:57:49

Placemarking as I haven't been able to find any anywhere yet.

LittleMissWeary Tue 09-Apr-19 15:20:57

Testers please answer the following questions:

- Overall, how satisfied were you and your child with Kinder Ice Cream
My child enjoyed them both. I was unimpressed.

Liked the chocolate topping on the stick. My son said he disliked nothing about them :-) I was unimpressed, didn’t like the taste.

My son really enjoyed the sandwich. He can’t think of any bad points.

Probably not. Too expensive.

Not really. Too expensive.

Vanilla ice cream with kinder egg bits

tracy68 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:51:36

The Kinder Slice
This product was a slice of heaven and loved by all the family.
The sandwich bit was soft and complimented the ice-cream as we bit into it and it had a lovely shortbread biscuit flavour to it.
The ice-cream was soft and creamy with a true authentic taste of whippy ice-cream.
Although we felt the portion sizes were a little on the small size for the price, we would definitely buy them again.

We preferred the Kinder slice but I dont think I would buy them regularly as the price is a bit much for how many my children would get through. Maybe if they were on a promo I would load the freezer up for the summer down the caravan, and I would definitely recommend them to everyone smile

Kinder products are of a high quality but it would be nice if they were a bit cheaper to buy

The Kinder stick
We did enjoy these but they seemed just like the mini milk lollies with a dipping of chocolate.
The chocolate was of high quality though and nice texture when biting together with the ice-cream.
No particular grab me moment and at the price I didn't think they were good value for money.

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Apr-19 20:54:22

FINALLY after a scenic tour of supermarkets scored some. Eldest child is currently going into one of the wafers like a squirrel with trust issues.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »