Talk

Advanced search

Read Mumsnet users feedback on Rated People

(24 Posts)
EllieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Mar-19 11:02:09

This is the feedback thread for the users that tested out the Rated People service. The service test was open to all UK MNers who needed a job to be done around the house or in the garden.

Here’s what Rated People have to say: “We want to make it easy to find a quality tradesperson. Our community is all about homeowners getting work done quickly and professionally, by great tradespeople who have been reviewed by other homeowners in your area. We also want to give you the confidence when hiring someone, to choose the right person for the job - knowing what to ask them and what to expect from most jobs.”

Testers please answer the below set of questions and remember that this was a test of your experience of the Rated People site and service rather than the tradespeople themselves:

- Overall how did you find the Rated People site and experience?
- What do you like most about the website and process?
- What do you feel could be improved?
- If you had another job to be done by a tradesperson would you use Rated People again?
- Would you recommend Rated People to a friend or family member if they had a job that needing doing?

Everyone who leaves the required feedback will receive £50 from Rated People and also be entered into a prize draw where 3 testers will win £100 voucher each of their choice (from a list).

Many Thanks
MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

sharond101 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:27:53

I found the site easy to use and well laid out. I liked that there were reviews on tradespeople so I could make an informed decision about accepting offers. I only received one reply so I'd looks more coverage in my area. Although my John want very expensive the tradesman mentioned he had to pay rated people to view my job and that he had included that fee in my job cost so I didn't like that I paid more than I would selecting my own tradesman. I would not recommend based on the fact I only got one response.

thesoupdragon44 Tue 12-Mar-19 12:08:30

Overall how did you find the Rated People site and experience?
I found it very simple to register and use.
I liked that it gave you an idea of how much you could expect to pay for each type of job. I also like that you can opt into getting emails that are helpful to your project. I also liked that you can see reviews for the tradesmen local to you.
I didn't find anything that I think needs improving, I would have liked to have more of a response from the trades as I only had contact from one person. I guess this would only be improved by growing the site, and the amount of people using it.
- If you had another job to be done by a tradesperson would you use Rated People again?
Yes, I would defiantly consider it for a small job or one where I didn't know a contractor already. Great if you are new to an area too.
- Would you recommend Rated People to a friend or family member if they had a job that needing doing?
Yes, I would as it was super easy to use. Maybe not for people without the internet but for busy family's it was a great way to find a tradesman.

zippyants Tue 12-Mar-19 12:31:07

Very easy to use and was great to communicate over the system with the trades-person. I would defo use it again and would recommend to others too.

Easy and straight froward. Simple non complicated sign-up process and easy to use on my Mac, PC, Mobile Phone and Tablet.
Made communication with the trade person easy and simple and loved the fact you could upload a picture of the work/area to be done.

I don't like the fact you have to say what you approx budget is. You don't walk into a deal (or to get quotes) stating your budget. I set mine at the lowest amount possible but some trades folk might not respond if they thought you only had £100 to spend on a large job!

Also - I sometimes struggle to use the phone/mobile (hearing issues) so would prefer a "Contact me by email only" option. I had to write this in the information and luckily the tradesman replied by email.

- If you had another job to be done by a trades-person would you use Rated People again?

Yes without a doubt. Loved that it was easy to use and got the job done!

Yes - I already have!

MadeForThis Tue 12-Mar-19 13:36:00

It was great to test the rates people site. We haven't completed the work yet but this is due to a timing issue, nothing linked to the site.

1- Rated people site and experience?
I found the site incredibly easy to use. It guided you through creating the job. And it was online very fast.

2- what do I like best about the process and website?
I like how it immediately takes you through creating a job. When you log in your job status is there including responses. I received text messages to say the job was live and that a tradesperson would call me, also giving his number. Also got emails when a tradesperson had sent me a message. Was fantastic not to just have to check the site for updates. They also give a really great guide to how much a job should roughly cost.

3-what could be improved?
I only had one response so it would be good to be able to search how many of each trade operate in your area. There are also only up to 3 quotes provided. I'm not sure how this is decided. 1st 3 to respond or top 3 prices. I was also unsure if my guide price was visible to tradespeople as this could influence the quote.

4- would I use them again?
Definitely. We have several jobs that need to be completed and will be logging these soon.

5- recommend to family/friends?
Yes. The process is very simple. I am yet to know how competitive all the quotes are but based on the website and the ease of use I would definitely recommend.

Hairymess Tue 12-Mar-19 13:41:35

The site was fine but the experience wasn't great.
It was fairly quick to set up the job, and I got loads of notifications if someone responded.
I'd rather they didn't get my phone number and there was the option for just email. I got several withheld calls in a row (turns out from just one tradesman) and I was working so would rather they just emailed a quote or their questions and I could get back to them as soon as I had a minute.
I also wish the amount expected went lower as I selected "under £100" as the lowest category but it was a small job and I wasn't going to pay close to £100 so it seemed misleading to the tradesmen.
I don't think so. I only got one response which was too expensive, and I looked through some other profiles out of interest and was suspicious at all the exclusively 5-star reviews with no even 4 stars in many. It looked a bit like the paid reviews you get on Amazon sometimes.
No, I'd probably recommend they just ask locals who is worth using.

eteo Tue 12-Mar-19 14:09:52

The site is easy to navigate and simple to fill in the form for the job. Also having able to read the real reviews. It able me to get in touch with the trademan easily.

I love that the site give you tips and a budget for any works to be done. Also I am able to upload pictur of the work to be done.

It will be great we don't need to put in the budget. I have no clue how much it will costs hence I dont want to quote too little or too much.

Yes. The companies who used this website do take pride in raising their profile.

Yes.

powkin Tue 12-Mar-19 14:55:23

It was pretty easy to use and very quick to get a good tradesperson but think there are a few tweaks that would make it more user friendly. Rather than ‘close job’ having ‘I’ve found someone on the site’ or ‘I want to close the job - I’ve found someone elsewhere’ would make it more user friendly. It’s not clear what closing the job will do to your ability to speak to traders you are already in touch with.

Quick and easy to find someone and reviews are really helpful to making a decision. Easy to communicate with tradesperson.

See above

Yes

Yes

HowsAnnie25 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:54:07

I found the site easy to understand and navigate. I knew exactly what to put and where. Super simple, even for me.

Ease of use and reviews are available. I had an instant response from one tradesperson.

Like others have said, I don't like putting our budget in. I have no idea what jobs cost really and feel if you put too high you could get ripped off, and too low you won't get any responses. Not enough tradespeople are on there yet. We only had one response. They had stats of how many people in our area had had a certain type of job done and it's very low. I don't like people having my phone number either. If they are happy to use a website to get trade then they should be able to contact via email.

I would give it a go yes. We are actually using the tradesperson we found via the site for our job.

Yes I would.

rachaelsit Tue 12-Mar-19 18:45:43

I enjoyed using the site (have used before) I think it’s efficient and user friendly and I used my mobile to access.
I like how good it appears on a mobile as this is the device I use most. The appearance is professional.
A more intuitive login process whereby it recognises you as being a tradesperson or not, which would then render some boxes on screen unnecessary and streamline the look of the page.
Yes I would, but I only received one response which was a little disappointing.

Yes definitely I already have.

gemmie797 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:08:28

I found the Rated People site easy to use. I posted my job with a brief description one evening and by the morning I had three responses. I liked that I could see the reviews of the people beforehand (one only had one star and was advertised as a cleaner - I had asked for a decorator so this put me off). I disregarded one (the cleaner) but called the other two. The details of the tradespeople were also sent by email. They both came to quote the same day. I chose one of them to undertake the job as his pricing was fair and he followed up after the quote in a non pushy way, which is important for me. He was quick to tell me how much the job would cost and when he would do it and he also sent a text the day before to confirm that he would attend the next day. The job was done well and he was polite and Keen to stay in touch for work in the future. Rated People is great because I feel that they are recommending people who are genuinely interested in doing the work they quote for. I can't tell you how many quotes I've had where the tradesperson hasn't got back go me with a price. I will be using Rated People again and would be happy to recommend it to friends and family too

CaptainCaveMum Wed 13-Mar-19 10:20:14

I found the website easy to use. I really liked the pricing advice as it helped me think about the details of the job. Traders got in touch same day which was very helpful too. I liked being able to read previous customers’ feedback.

It was so simple and quick. It made a daunting task much much easier.

1. Direct link from setting up the job spec to the suggested costs so it’s easier to put together rather than having two panes open.
2. Guidance that tradespeople quote with a breakdown rather than an overall figure.
3. Customers to add photos of the work done along with feedback.

Yes in fact I’ve already posted another job.

Yes I would.

Elliejojo Wed 13-Mar-19 18:43:10

Overall it was really good, the post was listed and the work was done soon after.
The site was mobile friendly and the website took you through everything easily.

I liked that they contacted you - it saved me ringing around and seeing who was free.

More responses would have been good (not that you can control that). I had no responses for a while, so I upped my price to see if that attracted someone to do the work and it Did. I only had one trades person contact me. It cost more than it would have if I’d asked a local trades person I think. Like others have said putting a budget in isn’t great as you end up ripped off or not attracting traders if you price it wrong.
Also guidance that tradespeople have to quote... mine only gave a price after the work was done, as she didn’t know how long it would take.

I think so.
Yes, unless they were needed the job done very cheaply then I’d encourage them to look around more as If they only had one quote like me then they might end up paying more.

Macarena1990 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:32:24

Overall I really rated the site and experience. I liked the fact that it saved so much time and the reassurance that the tradespeople were legitimate and trusted. Usually I find it a real battle to find someone who actually wants the work and comes up with a quote etc but this wasn't the case with those who contacted me through the site - they were very keen and proactive.

I would definitely use Rated People again and would recommend to others.

WineCheeseSleep Wed 13-Mar-19 21:56:57

I didn't get any quotes for my job but the experience of posting it was quick and easy so I don't feel bad about it, it felt like an avenue worth exploring.

What do you like most about the website and process?
It was so easy to post, very intuitive and quick to do. I liked that it gave me a quote for my job.

What do you feel could be improved?
I guess more tradesmen signed up

If you had another job to be done by a tradesperson would you use Rated People again?
I probably would give it a try as there's nothing to lose.

Would you recommend Rated People to a friend or family member if they had a job that needing doing?
Yes, again it's worth a try

Belo Fri 15-Mar-19 15:08:09

I thought it was really good. It made finding a tradesperson really easy.

I find it hard to make calls from work, so I loved how the process could be started online. It was very easy and straightfoward. I like how quick it was to advertise your job, and how quickly we were then contacted and the work was done. It took less than 7 working days to fix a window that had been leaking for sometime. I wish I knew how effortless it was to get it fixed!

It needs a category for dishwasher/washing machine repairs!

Most definitely!

Most definitely! It's great for people who are time poor.

clorindaClutterbuck1 Sat 16-Mar-19 06:22:40

Yes, the site was well laid out, and very easy to register, and to use. I was contacted by a tradesperson in my local area within the hour, so very efficient service, and received regular updates.
I liked the fact that I was able to enter the details of the job on line, and set out the spec of the job without having to ring around numerous trades people, and explain myself over the telephone, and then wait for return telephone calls etc
I did not like the fact that I had to specify the budget for the job, as I would not expect to have to disclose this normally, if I am entering into negotiations. Plus I did not like having to give out my telephone number, and would have preferred the option of email contact only.
Also, I was only contacted by one tradesperson in my geographical area, so did not have a range of quotes to choose from which was disappointing.
Yes, I would consider using Rated people again, as I have other jobs to complete. It is I feel a good starting point, but would hope to be contacted by more people next time as I did not receive sufficient quotes.
Yes, I would recommend this service, as although I did not use the trades person on this occasion, it did in theory put me in touch with a range of local trades people at the click of a button.

BollockyBagels Sat 16-Mar-19 09:43:43

The site was very easy to use, just a case of setting up an online account and a brief outline of the job. Overall it has been a simple and positive experience.
Ease of use. The layout is clear and easy to navigate.
Can't think of anything which would have enhanced my experience.
I would definitely use Rated People again. My job was completed within a week of contacting Rated People. Prior to that I was left hanging, waiting for quotes from two tradesmen who never got back to me.
Following my experience I'd recommend Rated People and I'd certainly use it again in the future.

EvenEternityEnds Sat 16-Mar-19 15:48:50

The site was really easy to use and it was good to be able to check the reviews.
It was simple to navigate and to post the jobs I need doing.
I only had one tradesperson contact me to quote for the job I posted, I would have liked to have more so I could compare prices but that may be due to the area I live in rather than the site itself.
I have already put another job up on there and would definitely use it again in the future.
Yes I would recommend Rated People.

moreginrequired Mon 18-Mar-19 10:35:48

i really liked the site and felt it was quite easy to put a job on (we ended up putting up several)
- What do you like most about the website and process? straightforward and easy to use, liked that people came to me
i ended up getting up only getting one response to my first job and this was from a "we do everything style company"which was exactly what we were trying to avoid. their quote was ridiculous and possibly misleading (i did manage to get hold of my old roofer who had been on holiday the week that we had the leak and he is doing that particular piece of work. the second job we posted i had the same problem that it was a multi company who initially responded. call centre that called then they send someone in your area, this to me is completely against the ethos of the website as i cant read about th person coming as all reviews are of the company (they were pretty awful reviews as well!) i did eventually get a second person apply and he was great, he wouldnt give a receipt however and still hasnt emailed it which again, makes my impression of the service feel like its quite dodgy which is surely exactly what you are trying to avoid by usibg a site like this...
unlikely based on my current experience. we live in a city of nearly 1,000,000 residents so its not that tradespeople are thin on the ground around us but so little responses and so little trustworthy ones. i wonder if the company took a percentage of the work rather than people paying to look at the jobs would it allow more tradespeople to sign up
- Would you recommend Rated People to a friend or family member if they had a job that needing doing? i think if it was straightforward perhaps and surely if you have moved to a new area it might be a good place to start but otherwise it was sadly a bit of a dissapointing experience.

ButtonMoonLoon Mon 18-Mar-19 13:39:20

LOVED it-will definitely be using it again!

In a world we’re so much seems unnecessarily complicated it was very easy to use and I got responses within ten minutes of my post being live!

I honestly can’t think of anything...

Definitely!

Yes-in fact, I ready have!

ruthiejeff Thu 21-Mar-19 14:14:55

Really great! I’ve used it a few times.
- What do you like most about the website and process? It’s easy to use and doesn’t send lots of superfluous emails after I’ve posted something.
- What do you feel could be improved? I sometimes find entering a budget a bit tricky....but I don’t know how to improve that!
- If you had another job to be done by a tradesperson would you use Rated People again? Yes
- Would you recommend Rated People to a friend or family member if they had a job that needing doing? Yes, definitely although my parents have tried using it and no one has responded to their ads. They live just outside of Glasgow. Maybe it’s not very well used there....or maybe it was what they posted grin

Richlyfruited Sun 24-Mar-19 13:30:58

Yes great - really easy to use and to add details of the job required.

Clear process and useful to get email confirmation and updates.

I wasn't able to leave feedback on the site which was requested after my job was completed. The link didn't work! Otherwise all really straightforward and user friendly.

Definitely! This was a very positive experience. We need a fair bit of work done and now we have a good electrician we can use again!

Already have - several times since our job was done! A number of my friends are currently looking for a tradesperson and finding it hard to get anyone reliable.

*MN HQ* - I didn't receive an email link to this survey - just luckily saw it through active convos so it might be worth checking with your testers that everyone has got it? smile

larsanator Sun 31-Mar-19 18:15:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: