Talk

Advanced search

Find out what Mumsnet testers thought of the new BaByliss Big Hair Care

(63 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Oct-18 14:35:44

NOW CLOSED

This is the feedback thread for the 50 Mumsnetters who have been testing the new BaByliss Big Hair Care, which is designed to be kinder to the hair (without compromising on styling performance) thanks to the sensor protect technology.

Here’s what BaByliss has to say: “The award-winning, iconic BaByliss Big Hair has been redesigned to give enhanced hair protection while still transforming fuzzy, lifeless hair into luxe, polished locks. With the BaByliss Big Hair Care you can be kinder to your hair without compromising on performance!”

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the following questions (as well as giving any other feedback you’d like to):

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care?
2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?
4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care?

Please feel free to share before and after pictures of your hair while using the Big Hair Care if you feel happy to.

All testers who give their feedback on the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Thu 25-Oct-18 20:25:02

Its taken a while to get used to it, more user error than anything else, my hair is waist length so I needed to get used to sectioning it and drying it properly. I need to blast first and then use.

2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares.

I prefer the sleeker design of the new one and its less chunkier so easier to handle.

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?

I can’t say I’ve noticed although I’ve also not had any over heating issues and it’s never felt too hot to handle.

Yes, it’s a handy tool and I feel it leaves a better finish than hot irons.

AliciaMayEmory Fri 26-Oct-18 15:59:42

I've already posted my answers to the 4 questions, but I just wanted to update now that I have been using the BBHC for a while now and I feel much more proficient at working it and getting good results. My hair this morning was my best attempt yet and I loved the lift and volume that I had at the roots. It also felt so smooth and shiny. The first couple of time I used this new BBHC I thought it was good, but a bit of a faff. Now, though, it is getting easier and I'm getting quicker, so it may even become my usual way of styling my hair, as opposed to just weekends and days off as I originally thought it might be.

I've recommended it to 3-4 different friends now, all who are very interested in having a go with it! I've had a go with it on both DD (11yo) who has really long and thick hair, and DS (9yo, and has just above shoulder length surfer-ish hair) and it gave really good results on both.

Thanks for the opportunity to test out this hair styler. It will be used well in our household! smile

OutComeTheWolves Sun 28-Oct-18 07:04:30

I found it a bit tricky to get to grips with at first, but that's probably more of a reflection on my skills than on the product. Once I'd got to grips with it (after watching a few YouTube vids) I loved how it made my hair look.

I also found that once I knew what I was doing, I became much more efficient at using it. Initially I couldn't see myself using it in the morning while getting ready for work as I thought it'd be too time consuming however it only took a couple of goes before I changed my mind about that.

2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
I've had one in the past, but I have very thick hair and it kept catching on the barrel. This didn't happen with this one. I also find this one dries better than the previous one.

I loved it. I thought this was a really good addition.

Yes I definitely would.

BretonStripe Mon 29-Oct-18 08:42:47

Hmm. I'm tempted. But have fine, poker straight hair in a long bob.

Do we think it's worth waiting a while and seeing if they bring out a smaller barrel version (like the 42mm BBH I liked until it stopped rotating).

WildCherryBlossom Mon 29-Oct-18 08:45:56

First of all enormous thanks for the opportunity to test the new Babyliss. I have lots of very fine hair which has always been a little unruly and difficult to tame!

The new Babyliss looks very smart. I liked the packaging and the feel of the new appliance.

It does an excellent job of tackling my unruly locks and giving a salon finish at home. It's very easy to use. I have a lot of hair. I usually work on hair around 80% dry and divide it into sections using clips, starting at the back to get best results. The Babyliss holds the hair really well and doesn't get too hot (my hair has become quite brittle in recent years and I'm trying hard to protect it - avoiding too much heat etc)

I have had the old version for around 2 or 3 years and a huge fan. The new one definitely holds the hair better thanks to the new brush configuration, so you can tackle larger chunks of hair at a time if you want to get the job done more quickly. It definitely doesn't feel as hot either. The downside of less heat seems to be a little less bounce than I achieved using the old one, but I feel like it's doing my hair less damage which is good. I don't get quite such "Big Hair" from the new appliance but I do get more polished, shiny looking hair.

The only improvement I can think of would be to the buttons. Because I have such a lot of hair I sometimes get very achy holding the buttons down for the duration of a full blow dry. (This was the same with the old one btw)

This is an excellent improvement. With the old appliance you have to be very careful not to get in a tangle. The new one senses if you get tangled and automatically unfurls a little to release the hair. Brilliant!

Absolutely! I frequently recommended the old version when people complemented my hair and would steer them towards the new version now. In the meantime my DD is delighted to be the proud owner of my old one.

WildCherryBlossom Mon 29-Oct-18 09:28:03

@BretonStripe I reckon it would give your hair some body. The big barrel creates body rather than curls so it's very good at bringing hair to life. My youngest has super fine bobbed hair and I've used it to make her look and feel more dressed up for special occasions. I can get it to flick out slightly at the ends if she wants but equally I can dry it straight but more glossy and thicker looking than if left to its own devices.

twosoups1972 Mon 29-Oct-18 09:59:33

A question - I have long thick slightly wavy hair. I cannot blow dry to save my life so currently I just air dry it then straighten when dry. I like quite a sleek look, not too much body. Can I achieve this with the babyliss?

strawberryblondebint Mon 29-Oct-18 19:27:09

First impression was hmm less bristles and the first time I used it it was pulling. However I forgot that I had hairspray in my hair.
I duly washed it and tried again with damp hair. Again I was disappointed as I felt the older one worked better and this one didn't seem to do the same. Less volume and couldn't seem to get it to make much difference.

However husband bought me a haircut for my birthday. What a difference now. Turns out that my layers etc were too long and weighing my hair down. So I dried it after my haircut and wow. Gorgeous bouncy cute hair. Loads of comments from colleagues. Doing a reverse pony tail on dry hair every morning and feel like I'm getting a salon blow dry. So happy now.

I still don't think it's as good. It feels heavier however my old one broke yonks ago so this could be me talking crap. I'm not sure about the less bristles but on the plus side less tangles.
I love it.
Actually not that bothered. It wouldn't sell it to me. Hair is in ok condition. .
Yes yes yes. Definitely worth it for hair like mine. I feel a bit like Kate Middleton after I use it.

Bringmewineandcake Mon 29-Oct-18 21:59:27

I really like the babyliss big hair care. I was surprised by the instructions to use it once my hair was 80% dry - if I wait that long my hair will be a massive frizz ball that nothing will tame. I did ignore this instruction but having used an earlier version of the big hair care I was comfortable in doing so.

I love how soft my hair feels after using this, and the extra volume it gives my hair.

The newer model seems to have fewer bristles than the version I have used before, and the centre was plastic rather than metal. Other than that I didn’t really notice a difference between the two.

Absolutely no idea what this is, sorry!

I really would. I’ve used the older one for a couple of years and love how soft it makes my hair. I don’t use the barrel rotation because the few times I have I get a bit nervous about how quickly my hair seems to get wound up by my scalp! I love the effect it has on my hair though. I like my hair to be quite smooth and the big hair care means I only have to run my straighteners over the very top layer to create the effect I want, which means my hair is suffering less heat damage as a result.

Thanks ever so much for letting me test this one.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 08-Nov-18 17:57:21

Sorry this is late, I've been trying to get the hang of it for a few weeks blush

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care? Nice colour, packaged well, bristles seem stronger than the old one, quite heavy.

My hair catches much easier in the new version. The gap around the bottom of the barrel gets hair tangled in it, and I have to use really small sections to stop that happening. This didn't happen with the old one and so the new one takes longer to dry and style my hair. I also have more flyaway bits with the new one, it doesn't seem to grab my hair as tight as the old one. The new one is also heavier, but I think my hair looks glossier and smoother with the new one.

My hair looks and feels glossier and smoother.

Yes. It still leaves a very good finish and hair feels in better condition. I think if I hadn't any experience of the old one, then I'd think this one was excellent. Unfortunately I don't think it's as good as the old one though, for me anyway.

Playmobilpeacock Sun 18-Nov-18 11:42:53

It took a while to get used to it but I have grown to really like it. It takes up quite a lot of space but it looks good and it's easy to use.

At first I did miss the thicker bristles of the old version but I have got used to it. The new version has tangled my hair a few times but this has happened less with practise. I do think the new version causes less damage. It's more like a hairdryer than a styling tool.

It still gets very hot but doesn't burn and I can't see any hair damage. My hair always looks better after using this over a hairdryer.

I would recommend it, definitely. My hair looks so much better when I use the BaByliss big hair and I often get compliments. It is so quick and simple to use and so effective.

JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-18 10:51:12

Thanks all for giving your feedback! The winner of the prize draw is @purplepandas fgrin

stayathomegardener Thu 29-Nov-18 20:29:47

Congratulations @purplepandas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »