Talk

Advanced search

Find out what Mumsnet testers thought of the new BaByliss Big Hair Care

(63 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Oct-18 14:35:44

NOW CLOSED

This is the feedback thread for the 50 Mumsnetters who have been testing the new BaByliss Big Hair Care, which is designed to be kinder to the hair (without compromising on styling performance) thanks to the sensor protect technology.

Here’s what BaByliss has to say: “The award-winning, iconic BaByliss Big Hair has been redesigned to give enhanced hair protection while still transforming fuzzy, lifeless hair into luxe, polished locks. With the BaByliss Big Hair Care you can be kinder to your hair without compromising on performance!”

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the following questions (as well as giving any other feedback you’d like to):

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care?
2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?
4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care?

Please feel free to share before and after pictures of your hair while using the Big Hair Care if you feel happy to.

All testers who give their feedback on the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

QueenofLouisiana Fri 19-Oct-18 07:58:15

I really like it. It looks good and isn’t too bulky to store (although it is a hair drying product so it isn’t compact!). It coped with my thick hair well and I felt that it improved how I could style my hair.

I was left with smooth hair which had lift at the root and styled ends. It probably helped that I actually read the instructions as I was testing this product. This styling lasted several days, including a few spent in hot, humid swimming pools (not swimming, just observing).
2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
I’ve used the old version and competitor’s offerings. The felt this was more comfortable to use, slightly lighter and a better design. It is quicker than other ones I’ve used, but doesn’t seem to get so hot.
It doesn’t seem to tug as much as the older ones and felt more gentle on my hair.

I’ve given my previous product to my mum, I won’t be using it again- I’m sticking with the new one!

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?
I had to look this up to see what it was meant to do! It’s to help nanage the heat, which I thought was better. Also apparently it makes hair shinier- yes, I think this was definitely true.

Yes. It works well on my thick, shoulder length hair. I feel more swooshy.

dontticklethetoad Fri 19-Oct-18 18:07:50

1). It is OK. I have only used it 4 times, so I expect I will get better with practice!
It did leave my hair very smooth, definitely a better alternative for my lifeless hair than straightening, but found it a bit ferocious!
It is a lot easier to use than a brush and dryer, I don't have the coordination for that grin

2). This is a difficult one! The higher temperature is definitely a bonus, but the higher speed was difficult to contend with! My hair tangled a lot more than with the older model I have.
The overall design is definitely better from a user perspective.

3). I'm guessing this is the heat limitation? I felt it was good concept! It got hot but not too hot. My hair does not like heat, so this is definitely a better option for me than straightening.

4. I would recommend to those with shorter than shoulder length hair. Mine is just on my shoulders and as I said previously, did keep getting tangled.

AliciaMayEmory Fri 19-Oct-18 22:59:13

I think the BBHC is brilliant. My hair is very fine, dull and lifeless. It doesn't really hold a curl or style for very long and is naturally very straight. After using the BBHC my hair felt lovely and soft, it had lift at the roots and a nice bend at the ends. I found that even with the longer sections it didn't tangle and if I curled up a whole section it easily uncurled if I gently pulled it out. Very reassuring as it is so easy to get long hair tangled. My only gripe is that it is heavy and so after a while my arms ached. Also the handle seems too long so it feels unbalanced and cumbersome at times.

I used the old version a few years ago and whilst the end results are very similar, the action of the new version is better and my hair feels smoother afterwards. I liked the fact that the old version had more bristles on it and the new one seems sparse in comparison. Also, the old one didn't seem to be as long as the new version, but that might be me misremembering. The new version does look sleeker and more expensive, which is nice.

It really didn't seem much different to the old version in practical terms, but I suppose it's reassuring to know that it won't fry my hair! I did feel that if it would get just that little bit hotter it would give a better finish and take less time to do the job, but I guess that is the pay off for smoother and less damaged hair.

Yes, I definitely would recommend the BBHC to my friends. I love the bounce that it gives my hair and the way to feels when I've used it. I will take this when I go away on holiday as it saves me taking both a hairdryer and straighteners due to it giving a nice smooth finish that a normal hair dryer won't give on its own. I think once youve got the knack of how to use it, it is a brilliant hair tool.

HeyMacWey Sat 20-Oct-18 16:27:38

I really liked how much volume this gives me at the roots. I have fine hair and I'm constantly looking for products/tools that will give me a bit of extra oomph. I rough dried my hair upsidedown and then finished off with the BBH. It really did give me much more volume that lasted for most of the day.

I have bra strap length hair with layers and I found that the BBH gave my layers more definition. Much easier than faffing about with a round brush.

The only negative for me was that a few times when I was using a specific hair product I noticed that the BBH made my hair static.

When I last used a BBH I had a bob/shoulder length hair and found it worked really well for me. Now that my hair is longer I found it a bit awkward to use and it took me longer to master it. I kept getting tangled up .The old BBH I just picked up and used straightaway.

The new one seems bigger and has fewer bristles on the brush so it took a while to get used to it. I missed the two speed settings that the old one had but perhaps this chsnge is because of the introduction of the sensor protect technology.

It definitely doesn't get as hot as the old BBH so it's got to be better for your hair.

Definitely! I'm getting my hair cut slightly shorter so I think it'll become part of my everyday styling routine. I like how swishy my hair feels and how it holds a style for longer. I've tried it out on my teen daughter's hair and she loves how it make her hair look.

Thanks MN and Babyliss for the opportunity to test it out

JoyceDivision Sat 20-Oct-18 19:20:15

1) I really like it, especially the different heat levels while rotating, could use it on wetter hair rather than hair having to more or less be dry. It seems to be able to tackle a complete style from quite wet hair rather than a finishing tool. But, I have found hair was still getting trapped and pulled at the end of the barrel which I was a bit disappointed about. It's really good for the useless hair stylers like myself, but isn't the same as a style by someone who can world both round brush and hair dryer. However, it is soooo easy to use and extremely convenient and quick, it's brilliant for daily easy styling.

2) I had one a long time ago, I thought there seemed to be less bristles and it couldn't grip hair on the barrel as well as the older model so the tautness that would help create a sleeker style is lacking in the new model.

3) the sensor protect feature is a brilliant addition and I was comfortable using it a lot more / daily basis rather than for a night out / weekend /special ocassion.

4) I'd definately recommend it, but I think it would be better for clod handed people like me that need a helping hand to style hair easily rather than someone that is already pretty well skilled at styling.

I love using it, it has helped me look much more groomed on a daily basis, so a huge thank you Mumsnet for giving me the opportunity to test it smile

Ohdobakeoffdear Sun 21-Oct-18 13:41:52

I love it. I love the new design, the purple colour and the brush with bristles further apart. It makes my hair look better, sleek and groomed. It’s easy to use and does what it says on the tin.

Longer handle makes it easier to use for people who are not very good with all thigs beauty. Bristles located further apart mean less tangling, I certainly noticed the difference there.

In terms of the difference in results, with the new product I’m getting a very sleek tidy look really easily. However, spectacular uplift of roots was easier to achieve with the older brush. It’s entirely possible that it’s just a matter of getting used to how it works. I’d used the old brush daily for a couple of years so maybe it’s all down to practice.

It’s great for thin hair. I’ve been using the brush without applying any heat protection product and I haven’t noticed any hair damage or dryness.

Definitely. I already have!
Thank your for giving me the opportunity to try it.

MrsAlwaysRight Sun 21-Oct-18 16:59:47

On the whole I liked it. I think it takes a few goes to get used to it and initially I kept getting my hair caught in the section at the top like several other testers. It did give my hair a nice smooth finish and good volume.

I have some shorter layers at the back of my hair and I think these were probably a little too short for it to work well on, as they ended up sticking out a bit.

I had used what was probably the original model which was good but did tangle my hair a lot more than this model. This model seemed easier to operate and I liked the fact that it doesn't get as hot.

I liked that the temperature was limited to prevent heat damage to my hair and I felt like my hair was smoother than when I used an earlier version.

I would - particularly for people who struggle to co-ordinate using a hairdryer and brush like I do! My hair is prone to being very frizzy and it was definitely tamed by using this. I think the new model seems kinder to your hair and less likely to cause damage.

PurpleNailVarnish Mon 22-Oct-18 10:20:56

Firstly, thank you for letting me try this out, I was very excited to give it a go.

The improved styling is good, as is the weight distribution and lower heat.
Unfortunately, it just didn't work for my hair. My hair got caught in the end of the barrel so I used smaller sections of hair but when I did this the pull of the device was too harsh.
I tried every permutation of wet/dryer, products, I got my DDs to do it for me, I had my hair cut, I tried everything and still this pulls my hair and leaves it static and the ends were left ragged, rather than smooth.
The wider gaps between the lines of bristles on the barrel didn't seem to catch enough of my hair.

However, when I used it on my DDs. They have thicker hair than mine and it worked beautifully, it made their hair look shiny and professionally blow dried.

2. If you've used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care Compares?

I still have my older Big Hair and I use it all the time. Although I've read on MN that other people didn't like it I've found that it produces excellent results on my hair.

My hair is very fine, long and straight and I think the old big hair suits my hair type better than the new one. I'm guessing that this is due to the closer bristles on the old version and that the barrel doesn't pull my hair as hard.

It's good, one of the features I preferred on the new model when compared with the old big hair.

Yes, to someone with thicker hair than mine. My DDs loved it and they will definitely use it all the time.

Again, thank you for letting me try this. I wish it had worked for my hair.

sliceofkate Mon 22-Oct-18 12:42:12

I liked! I found it easy to use, and of course looks great. I found my hair (very long and thick) has a nice shinel blow dry bouncy effect after I have used the BaByliss BHC.

This new version definitely felt less tangley than the original, and not as awkward/bulky to hold. It didnt feel as hot as my original one which sometimes left a burning smell. Plus my arms get achy doing a proper blowdry with a hair dryer (longhair probs!) So with this i can do a blast dry so hair it 80%dry and then finish with the BBHC for a perfect result.

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair

I liked the fact that there are different heat settings, i could use the hottest setting for my ends and the cooler setting for roots/fringe.

Yes, I already have! I am of an age that is part of the ghd generation and have straightend my hair for a long time. Im now happy to not straighten my hair and use the BBHC for a smooth blow dry finish.

Byrdie Mon 22-Oct-18 14:11:24

Just wanted to add a photo... bit of info, I have a very strong curl and i can't get it straight easily without GHDs or it going very frizzy. This feels much MUCH more gentle than irons. I've been doing the curly girl method and avoiding silicones (the ingredient that smooths hair and makes it shiny and straight by coating it). This is it after using the babyliss without any product - very impressive that I can get it looking this smooth but I imagine it would be much better with some serum / smoothing products.

CryptoFascist Tue 23-Oct-18 00:28:13

Attractive design, easy to use handle.
Was simple to use and I found the ability to reverse the direction useful when my hair became tangled. My hair is long (bra strap length) and fine and did tangle quite a bit when I span the brush, so I ended up using it as a hot brush without the spin function. My hair looked smooth and shiny afterwards.
Much better. My old BBH was difficult to clean due to the dense bristles, I could never get to all the tangled hairs. I won't have that issue with this one
Not certain I noticed it. The cool setting was still fairly warm.
Yes but probably to people with shorter or thicker hair than mine.

BehemothPullsThePeasantsPlough Tue 23-Oct-18 15:17:10

1 What do you think of the Babyliss Big Hair Cafe
I like it. Rather more “feminine” styling than the old black cylinder (with a slight hint of sex toy or is that just me? grin) but comfy to hold. As ever it does the job, quickly and one handed.
2. How did it compare with the old model?
It took me a minute or two to get the hang of the slightly different handling so I got tangled on the first pass, just like I did with the old one, but I adjusted very quickly. The more spaced out bristles mean that it should be easier to clean. Photo attached for comparison - Black is the old one, purple is the new one.
3. What do you think of the sensor protect technology?
I certainly haven’t noticed being overheated - that was a occasional but rare occurrence on the old one.
4. Would you recommend it?
Yes I think so - it’s useful and very simple to use even for a klutz like me or a bone fide diagnosed dyspraxic like DD. It gives my very fine and slightly frizzy hair bounce and body, but it hasn’t made it magically smooth.

SoYo Tue 23-Oct-18 18:33:26

I think it definitely has the effect it's aiming for. Bouncy and smooth hair is achieved without too much effort.

I much prefer this one. My hair doesn't catch and tangle as it did so much with my old one and it's easier to handle.

I felt I'd scorched my hair on the previous one a few times but this hasn't happened this time so far so fingers crossed.

Yes definitely.

stayathomegardener Tue 23-Oct-18 21:07:33

I was impressed, superficially I loved the new colour ways/shape and practically I appreciated the final look I achieved.

It's quicker! I can start from 80% towel dried hair to finished style in 9 minutes.
Massive difference in hair breakage too, with the old product I was getting quite a collection of hair on the floor, (on tiles really need to hoover levels) the new product appears to just produce normal shedding. (Can totally get away with not hoovering)
Loved the cool setting which I used to set the style so it lasted much longer.

It definitely felt more controlled heat wise.
The condition of my hair also appears better but realistically that can't be why after just two weeks...

Absolutely! I've given a few demo's and had lots of compliments over the last couple of weeks.

Thank you for letting me test it.

Will try and post before and after.

stayathomegardener Tue 23-Oct-18 21:12:44

Before and after, I'm 50 in January and whilst the number doesn't phase me the thought of rubbish hair does. smile

twosoups1972 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:16:24

Love reading these reviews! I’m tempted to get one.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 23-Oct-18 21:41:00

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care? It was ok to begin with & is getting better now I'm getting used to it. I like that it keeps my hair sleek while giving it body.

2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares? n/a

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care? It seems really good, I've not noticed it getting overly hot/ it making my hair very hot to touch at any point.

4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care? Yes & I'd encourage people to persevere if it doesn't give results on the first few goes.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Wed 24-Oct-18 12:05:48

I ordered one last night twosoups haha all these mumsneters can't be wrong grin

Scootergrrrl Wed 24-Oct-18 13:22:12

I think it's a brilliant idea. It makes such a difference to be able to allow my hair to air dry most of the way then spend five minutes zapping it into place.

2. If you've used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
I did have an older, smaller version of the Big Hair but found it made my hair a bit frizzy underneath and that it had stopped rotating properly. This version is so much better!

It's a great idea. Styling your hair with heat every day is bound to damage it in some way, so the idea of having tailored protection built in is brilliant.

Definitely, especially to those friends who look fabulous with swishy hair!

SavoyCabbage Wed 24-Oct-18 17:32:22

I found it easy to use. In spite of it's mighty size it didn't feel cumbersome and I found the direction changing quite instinctive.

It's a much better product. The new one has fewer bristles. My dd's have masses of curly hair and the older model was no good at all on their hair but this one smoothed out their curls successfully.

I am quite aware of not damaging my hair even further than I already have. I'm growing out a very blonde pixie cut so my hair is really damaged on the ends. This made it look smooth and feels far less harsh than straightening.

Yes I would. My hair feels swishy and 'done'. And longer. I only wash it every two to three days and the smooth look and feel lasted till I washed it again. For me, it's a easy method of making it look like I've made an effort.

magentastardust Wed 24-Oct-18 21:38:10

It seems there were very few reviewers picked who hadn't already used the original model... It Definitely sounds worth a buy though, reviews seem to be really good..I think I may have to put it on my x-mas list!

BehemothPullsThePeasantsPlough Wed 24-Oct-18 21:58:13

Yes they clearly wanted people who could compare with the original (and the original has been very popular on MN Style & Beauty for many years so there would have been a lot of applicants who already had one).

FreshEyre Thu 25-Oct-18 07:19:30

I loved it. It takes a while to do my thick, shoulder-length hair but it left it smooth and shiny with a bit of bounce. I do find that you need to blast it with a hairdryer and then finish off the last 20% of drying with the BBH so it doesn't replace the hairdryer completely. I do also section my hair as I dry it which seems to give better results.

This looks like a more expensive product, I liked the design although it took a while to get used to the buttons being in a slightly different place (muscle memory?!)

My old BBH frequently tangled my hair and I didn't have this problem with the new one. Not sure whether that's because it is new so only time will tell whether it tangles more once the bristles get softer. There was also less frizz with the new one.

It didn't seem to get as hot so I'm assuming that's the sensor protect? The good thing though is that my hair was less 'overdone' and frizzy.

Definitely! It was already a good product but the new version is far better.

ArchbishopOfBanterbury Thu 25-Oct-18 08:54:07

I really liked it. I did get my hair caught and tangled to start with, but once I got used to it I found the technique! My hair looks great afterwards - smooth with shine and volume.

The ew model has a longer barrel with fewer, long bristles. I loved the purple and gold colour. The buttons on this model were easier to find and use, especially behind my head.

I think the temperature is better for my hair =, but I found on "straight out of the shower" days I needed to use a hair dryer first. The old one would dry and straighten, but I think the cooler temperatures mean that would take ages. It's rare that I need to be in such a rush, and using two devices isn't really a hardship. My hair is probably healthier for it. But I will keep the old one for rush mornings and packing for holidays, for this reason. I felt like the cooler temperature did mean my hair was smoother and shinier. I think the new model seems kinder to your hair and less likely to cause damage, so I've been using it most days, without worry.

I would - it's easy to use and gives great effects without too much skill required.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 25-Oct-18 17:33:43

I liked it - although I have very thick hair so have always had to dry my hair about 95% before using it.

I much prefer it. My hair is long and used to tangle badly with the old BH. So much so, that I had nearly stopped using it. I also felt it was damaging my hair as it was so hot. My hair has tangled much less with the new version and it doesn't feel so uncontrollably hot.

Like other posters, I hadn't picked up on this feature but assume it is to do with heat control?

Yes - albeit, to get a good result, I think you do need to blow dry your hair as the big hair cant really give the sane results as a blow dry at the roots which requires heat directed from above the hair (i.e. from a hairdryer) to smooth it before drying the ends with a round brush. The BH can curl the ends and provide volume at the roots but can't smooth as effectively as the heat is basically coming from underneath. I do sometimes find that I can get a good result at the ends and crown with the BH but my roots can still look quite frizzy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »