Talk

Advanced search

Find out what Mumsnet testers thought of the new BaByliss Big Hair Care

(63 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 12-Oct-18 14:35:44

NOW CLOSED

This is the feedback thread for the 50 Mumsnetters who have been testing the new BaByliss Big Hair Care, which is designed to be kinder to the hair (without compromising on styling performance) thanks to the sensor protect technology.

Here’s what BaByliss has to say: “The award-winning, iconic BaByliss Big Hair has been redesigned to give enhanced hair protection while still transforming fuzzy, lifeless hair into luxe, polished locks. With the BaByliss Big Hair Care you can be kinder to your hair without compromising on performance!”

Testers, please give your feedback by answering the following questions (as well as giving any other feedback you’d like to):

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care?
2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?
4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care?

Please feel free to share before and after pictures of your hair while using the Big Hair Care if you feel happy to.

All testers who give their feedback on the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

MyNameIsJane Fri 12-Oct-18 19:36:09

I was impressed with it. Styling my hair has been easy and I have had good results.

2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?

The new one has not caught my hair like the other one did. I had the older one for short hair so when I opened the new one for the first time, I was worried that it would be unwieldy, but have been pleasantly surprised at how easy it has been to use it.

The barrel is much bigger and there are fewer bristles but have enjoyed styling my hair each morning.

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?

I think that my hair has been Extra sleek at the end of styling.

Yes, I would. I think I can convert my mum to this. My sister and are both Babyliss big hair advocates but the fact the old one pulled hair and got caught up put my mum off. I always rave about it. I can rave just that little bit more now!

edwardcullensotherwoman Fri 12-Oct-18 19:45:16

Place marking so I don't lose it blush I'll be back with feedback in a few days! (Only had a chance to use it once!)

ShatnersBassoon Sat 13-Oct-18 09:38:03

Great. I find it easy to use, it speeds up my morning routine and gives really good results.

Better! It works much better as a hairdryer, so I can use it on hair that is wetter than I could my old one. It gives smoother hair, and I LOVE the way it unwinds itself if I'm trying to do too big a section at once, instead of just carrying on and getting all my hair wrapped up and tangled. All round a more user friendly styler.

I'm not sure if I notice this, but it doesn't get as hot (is this what it is?) as my old Big Hair, so using a hand alongside it is possible for smoothing around the barrel, and if it catches my neck it doesn't hurt.

Definitely. It's a brilliant tool for someone like me who isn't very dextrous and lacks time but who likes to look 'done' every day.

Piffpaffpoff Sat 13-Oct-18 21:12:07

I love it. It gives me amazing looking hair all day long for just 5 minutes of effort styling it.

It feels much gentler on my hair with the same results. It feels easier to hold and I think it looks nicer. The one thing I can’t comndnt on is it’s longevity. I have had 3 BBH in the past and I’ve found they all have broken before they were 2yo. But the results on my hair are so good, I keep buying them despite this!

I definitely felt it was easier on my hair.

100%. I use it every day.

MirandaWest Sat 13-Oct-18 21:25:08

I like it - seems to dry my hair more quickly and do smooth styling.

It seems to dry more quickly but also not use as much heat. Nicer colour and doesn’t seem to catch as much of my hair as my older version

I’m not quite sure what this part is but it does seem less hot which I presume is good for my hair

I would smile

cleowasmycat Sat 13-Oct-18 22:58:23

A big improvement on the old version as I found I didn't get a smooth finish.
The heated roller and stiffer bristles are much better. I was left with a bouncy finish and much smoother
I'm not sure how noticeable this is but it's a nice feature to be aware off.
I have been recommending this all over the place. I only used it twice then took it to Ireland for a wedding - I only took hand luggage.

OrdinarySnowflake Sun 14-Oct-18 10:19:38

1. I didn't get on very well with the bog hair. I think I get better results from drying with a round brush and hairdryer. I have quite frizzy hair and the heat going underneath the curl, rather than on top with a hairdryer and brush, makes more fly-away bits. It's hard to get a sleek curl look at the front, so end up running the straighteners over the shorter bits, which I don't feel the need to do with a brush and hairdryer.

2. I did have the older version as well, in compression, the new is better at drying your hair and quicker (with the old version I found I often had to rough dry hair first or would be trying hair for ages), but I think the extra bristles on the old version meant it grabbed more of the shorter hairs and there was less frizz.

3. I didn't notice, although it didn't pull my hair as the old one did, so assume that's what it is!

4. I might recommend this to someone with thicker, naturally smoother hair, or someone who's nor very good with a round brush and hairdryer, but otherwise no, it's not all that good for mid length fine hair.

edwardcullensotherwoman Sun 14-Oct-18 22:35:33

I like it, it's quick and easy to use and my hair is fairly smooth after use. I like that it has 2 heat settings, but I would have liked a slower spin setting too. It's quite quiet, and it's fairly light so didn't ,air my arm ache like when I use a hair dryer.

I also have an original Big Hair, which I love. I would say I find that easier to use as it has a slower spin setting and it doesn't catch my hair as much as the Big Hair Care, but I did a side by side test with both and found that the Big Hair Care left my hair looking smoother.

It's a brilliant idea to prevent burning the hair (assuming I've understood it right!)

Yes I would, but not to replace a hairdryer, just as an alternative choice, since it's not particularly quick. (I have thick shoulder length hair.)

OohMrDarcy Mon 15-Oct-18 13:58:24

I love it - it looks good, its really effective for someone like me who isn't the best at styling my hair normally. I have shorter arms too so the long wand is especially helpful!

It looks much nicer, its lighter so easier to use without getting an achy arm. The finished look seems longer lasting as well.

My hair looks and feels in good condition still. I think it uses less heat to achieve the same result - which is a good thing as less damage.

Definitely - to anyone and everyone who like me struggles with their hair.

BlessedBeTheFruitCake Mon 15-Oct-18 17:24:04

I really liked it. It dried my hair quickly without it looking frizzy. I found the buttons easy to use and I liked that the led was a different colour depending on whether you used the cool/low/high setting. I found the low setting to be sufficient to dry my hair.

The new version looks a lot nicer and more expensive. It doesn't seem to get as hot as the older version and I found the buttons easier to control too. Hopefully the new version lasts longer though as the older version stopped spinning.

I liked that my hair never felt like it was very hot like with my usual hairdryer but it still managed to dry my hair quickly. I have been a big user of straighteners previously but I haven't used them when I've used the Big Hair Care as my hair was already nice and smooth. Big thumbs up there, saves time and my hair from getting frazzled!

4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care? Definitely, I was always a fan of the BBH and this one seems even better.

DeRigueurMortis Tue 16-Oct-18 14:35:45

Hello,

Just for context I have used the previous model of the product. I have long, thick wavy hair.

My usual styling routine is to dry my hair to about 95% dry and then I use my Daphni straightening brush. I used to use the old version of the BBH to finish my hair, but switched to the Daphni for reason's I'll explain in question 2.

First impressions were that it was a nicely designed product. It looked good and felt like a quality item.

Having used the older model I was reasonably sure of what to expect, but was obviously keen to see what if any differences there were.

The product absolutely does, what it is designed to do (assuming you use it properly) and whilst can't 100% emulate a professional blow dry, even for the most cack handed amateurs, like myself, it gives a very good approximation.

You can achieve a smooth, shiny result whilst retaining the volume and "movement" that I find straighteners remove.

My biggest grip with the old model was it didn't seem to handle my hair type very well. Unless I was very careful, hair would routinely get caught up in the space between the handle and rotating brush.

Also, because my hair is so thick, unless I used it in very smallish sections I found it got very hot (I think the thickness of my hair helped "overheat" it and I found I had to be careful not to damage my hair. This also meant using it became very time consuming, just processing small section by section.

Essentially this was the main reason I switched to the Daphni - which is easily able to handle much larger volumes of hair to get a smooth result - though it doesn't create quite the same "blow dried" result with regard to bounce/movement - it was simply more convenient for every day (5 mins to brush through vs a good 15 mins with the BBH).

As such I was very interested in the new model and I have to say it is very much better. The design of the bristles seems able to manage my thick hair much better and whilst I still got a little bit of catching, it was a massive improvement on the old version and as I've used it more I finding this happens less and less as I'm getting to grips with just how much hair I can process in each section (much more than with the old model).

My second issue - heating - is answered in the question below.

Its much less time consuming to use than the previous version - not a quick as my Daphni but we are less than 10 mins now and reaching a time that's started to become accessible for every day use.

Excellent. As per the response above one reason I stopped using the BBH was I felt it was overheating my hair (long, thick hair overheating the barrel). I defiantly noticed a big difference on this model. Another reason why it can now be considered an "every day" tool.

I would have recommended the old one to people with finer, shorter hair than mine (My Mother has my old one and loves it), but would have been wary to recommend to people with long, thick hair previously.

I would now recommend it. It does give a lovely finish to the hair and the new model has gone a very long way to addressing the issues I personally had with the old model.

Thank you for letting me test it!

OhWesternWind Tue 16-Oct-18 17:01:25

I very much like this product - I do need more practice with it to get a really good result but it will have to wait until I have time to spare as it does take a long time to do my hair as it is very thick. The main problem was a couple of times small strands of my hair got caught and wound up in the gap between the brush and the top of the appliance, which really hurt!

This one is much better. I gave up with the old Big Hair as it got too hot, kept on winding up my hair right against my head and took a really long time to use. The barrel is bigger and the brush feels a lot nicer. It works quicker and is more like a hairdryer than the old version.

I like the fact that this now has different heat settings. I'm not sure exactly what the technology is, but I don't think it overheated my hair and it left it nice and smooth, which is a challenge with my thick frizzy hair.

Yes definitely but I think it takes practice to use well.

hurrythefuckupgeorge Tue 16-Oct-18 19:15:48

I really liked it. It made my hair really shiny with a good amount of volume without being too poofy. My hair usually get greasy and needs washed after 2 days but I have managed to get an extra day out of it.

Much better! I found my old one tugged and caught my hair a lot more and frazzled my ends and front layers. As a result I only used it occasionally. As this one seems kinder on the hair I hope I will be able to use it regularly. I also thought the buttons were much better placed which made it easier to control.

What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care?

My hair felt good after use and the barrel was not hot so seems like a good feature.

Yes definitely. I have long hair and it worked really well.

Byrdie Tue 16-Oct-18 22:16:14

It’s such a effortless way to get your hair looking good isn’t it?! I really liked it. It was easy to use, felt less damaging than blasing it with a hairdryer or using ghds.

From what I can remember, i think this spins faster and has less heat?

Great idea. It really saves faffing about with temperature controls. To be honest I’m not sure I would be able to tell if it had a sensor or not...

Yes, to people with medium hair or longer hair who just wanted to curl the bottom. Great for shorter hair I guess. (The tangle issue is the main barrier to longer hair users)

HollyBollyBooBoo Wed 17-Oct-18 04:12:22

Loved it! But I was a huge fan of the old style one and have been through 3 of them since it was launched. It seems to be the only thing that will give me volume and a keep my hair sleek. I have fine hair but lots of it so have layers cut in.

What I particularly like is that it refreshes my hair style so well the day after washing my hair. So I apply dry shampoo, leave it for a while, rub it through then use the Big Hair and I have a better style with more hold than the day I washed my hair.

It's much more ergonomic. I couldn't work out why it was so long at first but I think it almost acts as a counterbalance and sits nicely in your hand.

I used the hottest setting just because I'm impatient, I wasn't clear why I would use different heat settings?

The one big thing I noticed about this one, compare to the previous model, is that the previous models always needed a breaking in period. The barrel was always very stiff at first and needed to be used a number of times before it would rotate easily. That wasn't the case with the new one which worked perfectly from day one.

Not sure as I noticed any difference if I'm truthful.

Yes and have done many, many times! Wouldn't be without one! Thank you so much for letting me try the new one, really love it!

ohlittlepea Wed 17-Oct-18 05:16:50

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care? I loved it (I am a previous Babyliss big hsir fan). The new design is great.
2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares? Its so much better, its easier to use and makes the hair smoother/ shinier than the original. I liked tge soacing if tye bristles and vents too, I think it dries my hair quicker than the older model too.
3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care? I noticed it was more comfortable to use, tye heat felt gentler and the barrel didnt get as hot and my hair seemed smoother.
4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care? Absolutely, its great for mums or busy women who want to look polished but domt have the time or money for salon blow dries. I wash my hair less often using it as it works as a great refresher with some dry shampoo. Its a lot more effective tysn a standard hot brush.

Frequency Wed 17-Oct-18 08:23:56

Overall I was impressed. It dried my hair quickly from damp to styled. I found it much easier than using a brush and dryer and people mention how nice my hair looks when I use it.

I've never used any until this one.

That's the bit I am unsure about. It didn't seem to get hot at all, which is great for my fine/fragile hair but probably wouldn't work so well on someone with thick/coarse hair.

Yes. Absolutely.

ThomasShelbysBunnet Wed 17-Oct-18 11:45:42

Initially, I found it quite tricky to use. However, as the trial went on, I figured out the nuances of the BBHC and it made a huge difference. By the end of the two week trial I loved it.

Initially, I wasn't impressed compared to the old version. I've used the older model for around 4 years and found the new one tricky, found that my hair caught easily at the top of the brush and got tangled. However, given time and practise, I found that using much smaller sections than I used to with the old model, gave me a much much better result overall. The space between the bristles makes such a difference, I no longer have to pull so much hair out of the bristles after a few uses. The different shape makes it easier to use with a shoulder injury, as I don't have to hold my arm as high to create a sleek voluminous style that lasts.
On that note, I can have quite frizzy hair when dried normally with a dryer and brush. When using the BBHC, I still had beautifully bouncy straight hair that I could just run a brush through in the morning.

It made a massive difference. The temperature of my hair with the new Big Hair Care is such that I feel I can safely use it daily without damaging my hair, compared to the old version where I would keep it for nights out, or where I needed my hair to be sitting well for work meetings etc.

Without a doubt. It's a fantastic upgrade on the old version, and I loved that one enough to buy two.

I'll try and take pics of before and after later today and post them.

GinandGingerBeer Wed 17-Oct-18 19:19:14

Place marking to post review later 

whitershadeofpale Thu 18-Oct-18 09:53:08

1.What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care?

I loved it, it was easy to use- didn’t tangle and made my hair beautiful and sleek. My DP was confused as he said my hair looked longer but it was really just that it had been sleeked down. I have straight hair but it’s very think and can look a bit lank as the weight drags it down, this made it look lovely and swishy.

I think it’s an improvement, it seemed to pull less on my hair and there was definitely less tangles or hair that had fallen out as I styled it.

I can’t say I noticed it but as others have said, it felt less hot than other versions and my hair lovely and healthy.

Definitely! For me it’s not an everyday styler but only as it takes about an hour to do my long, thick hair which I’m too lazy to commit to! But I’ve got I the habit of doing it every Sunday evening so my hair looks lovely or the start of the week.

Quick note to @MNHQ I just happened across this thread and hadn't been notified it was live yet- just in case other testers haven't posted feedback yet as they don't know.

purplepandas Thu 18-Oct-18 14:43:15

I liked it. It was good in the main part although could not totally tame my unruly hair. It felt large to handle but was not overly heavy whihc was good.

I do think that this version is much better in terms of styling and heat settings. The old one is under my bed and never used. I am hoping to continue using this one. It also looks better (although minor factor I know).

I felt that this was improved and it felt more sleek on my hair as a result. A definite improvement.

Yes, although I don't know that I could use it everyday. I think more for weekends when I have more time. I still find my cloud 9's quicker to use for styling in the chaos of early workday mornings.

Thank you for letting me trial this, I am going to persevere with it!

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Oct-18 16:39:30

I'm not part of the product test but I am a HUGE BBH fan and have been for years - I recommend it to anyone and have bought one for at least 5 people. I have had a bad hair life and this product has been life transforming for me. I can get a (not quite) just-stepped-out-of-the-salon look but definitely a just-stepped-out-of-the-salon a few hours ago look in a matter of minutes. People often ask if I have had a blowdry. I have the old and the new version. When one of my old ones broke down I had to go and buy a new one the same day because I can't live without it. I even have an american version for when I go to the states. I am that freaky fan...anyway... my answers to the questions
1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care? It is pure genius. Can't recommend it highly enough.
2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares? Both are great. the new one just feels a bit cooler and feels like it might be easier on your hair. Also for me, because it's new, the bristles are stronger so I get a cleaner curl/ smooth.
3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care? Wasn't sure what that was - but think it was part of being cooler? see above
4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care? YES - I even gave it to a friend with chin length hair and she loves it. I just wish they would do a cordless version so I could use it while shouting at encouraging the children to get out of the house in the morningsmile If they want anyone to test the prototype, I'm your woman!

GinandGingerBeer Thu 18-Oct-18 21:41:36

Here goes 
What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care?

Love it! It left my hair bouncy, shiny & voluminous. It was easy to use once I got used the how powerful this one is!

It's lighter to hold and I liked that it's a bit longer in length so I could manoeuvre it easily and get to the back of my head.
With this version I found I had better results if I started off with slightly wetter hair. It works well at actually drying the hair as well as styling it, resulting in a frizz free barnet 

Can't say I noticed, but it's definitely cooler in temperature than the older version, so kinder to hair. I have s few hair extensions st the front of my hair and it worked well on these too.

Absolutely and I have recommended it to my hairdresser for her own hair as she struggles styling her own.
Here are some pics I put on the other thread:

DropZoneOne Thu 18-Oct-18 23:11:47

I struggled with it on my hair to be honest. I have long (bra strap) curly hair and hoped to get sleek hair but with more bounce than I'd get from straighteners. Unfortunately, I found it left my hair frizzy. The buttons were easier to use though.

I did also use it on my daughter's hair, which is straighter than mine. Hers went lovely and smooth.

It's certainly quieter! I found the older one better for my hair, not sure if that was down to the bristles or the heat.

I found this annoying! With the old one, I could use the rotate to grab the end of my hair and pull it straight and get a firm curl on the end. I found with this one, when I tried to pull to get a firm curl, the brush would unwind! So I'd get straighter ends but not the big bouncy wave that the old one would give.

Yes to people with straight hair but not if you have curls.

Attached photos of hair roughly dried (Its normal dried state is curlier than this as I air dry or use a diffuser), and after the BBH.

QueenofLouisiana Fri 19-Oct-18 07:58:15

I really like it. It looks good and isn’t too bulky to store (although it is a hair drying product so it isn’t compact!). It coped with my thick hair well and I felt that it improved how I could style my hair.

I was left with smooth hair which had lift at the root and styled ends. It probably helped that I actually read the instructions as I was testing this product. This styling lasted several days, including a few spent in hot, humid swimming pools (not swimming, just observing).
I’ve used the old version and competitor’s offerings. The felt this was more comfortable to use, slightly lighter and a better design. It is quicker than other ones I’ve used, but doesn’t seem to get so hot.
It doesn’t seem to tug as much as the older ones and felt more gentle on my hair.

I’ve given my previous product to my mum, I won’t be using it again- I’m sticking with the new one!

I had to look this up to see what it was meant to do! It’s to help nanage the heat, which I thought was better. Also apparently it makes hair shinier- yes, I think this was definitely true.

Yes. It works well on my thick, shoulder length hair. I feel more swooshy.

dontticklethetoad Fri 19-Oct-18 18:07:50

1). It is OK. I have only used it 4 times, so I expect I will get better with practice!
It did leave my hair very smooth, definitely a better alternative for my lifeless hair than straightening, but found it a bit ferocious!
It is a lot easier to use than a brush and dryer, I don't have the coordination for that grin

2). This is a difficult one! The higher temperature is definitely a bonus, but the higher speed was difficult to contend with! My hair tangled a lot more than with the older model I have.
The overall design is definitely better from a user perspective.

3). I'm guessing this is the heat limitation? I felt it was good concept! It got hot but not too hot. My hair does not like heat, so this is definitely a better option for me than straightening.

4. I would recommend to those with shorter than shoulder length hair. Mine is just on my shoulders and as I said previously, did keep getting tangled.

AliciaMayEmory Fri 19-Oct-18 22:59:13

I think the BBHC is brilliant. My hair is very fine, dull and lifeless. It doesn't really hold a curl or style for very long and is naturally very straight. After using the BBHC my hair felt lovely and soft, it had lift at the roots and a nice bend at the ends. I found that even with the longer sections it didn't tangle and if I curled up a whole section it easily uncurled if I gently pulled it out. Very reassuring as it is so easy to get long hair tangled. My only gripe is that it is heavy and so after a while my arms ached. Also the handle seems too long so it feels unbalanced and cumbersome at times.

I used the old version a few years ago and whilst the end results are very similar, the action of the new version is better and my hair feels smoother afterwards. I liked the fact that the old version had more bristles on it and the new one seems sparse in comparison. Also, the old one didn't seem to be as long as the new version, but that might be me misremembering. The new version does look sleeker and more expensive, which is nice.

It really didn't seem much different to the old version in practical terms, but I suppose it's reassuring to know that it won't fry my hair! I did feel that if it would get just that little bit hotter it would give a better finish and take less time to do the job, but I guess that is the pay off for smoother and less damaged hair.

Yes, I definitely would recommend the BBHC to my friends. I love the bounce that it gives my hair and the way to feels when I've used it. I will take this when I go away on holiday as it saves me taking both a hairdryer and straighteners due to it giving a nice smooth finish that a normal hair dryer won't give on its own. I think once youve got the knack of how to use it, it is a brilliant hair tool.

HeyMacWey Sat 20-Oct-18 16:27:38

I really liked how much volume this gives me at the roots. I have fine hair and I'm constantly looking for products/tools that will give me a bit of extra oomph. I rough dried my hair upsidedown and then finished off with the BBH. It really did give me much more volume that lasted for most of the day.

I have bra strap length hair with layers and I found that the BBH gave my layers more definition. Much easier than faffing about with a round brush.

The only negative for me was that a few times when I was using a specific hair product I noticed that the BBH made my hair static.

When I last used a BBH I had a bob/shoulder length hair and found it worked really well for me. Now that my hair is longer I found it a bit awkward to use and it took me longer to master it. I kept getting tangled up .The old BBH I just picked up and used straightaway.

The new one seems bigger and has fewer bristles on the brush so it took a while to get used to it. I missed the two speed settings that the old one had but perhaps this chsnge is because of the introduction of the sensor protect technology.

It definitely doesn't get as hot as the old BBH so it's got to be better for your hair.

Definitely! I'm getting my hair cut slightly shorter so I think it'll become part of my everyday styling routine. I like how swishy my hair feels and how it holds a style for longer. I've tried it out on my teen daughter's hair and she loves how it make her hair look.

Thanks MN and Babyliss for the opportunity to test it out

JoyceDivision Sat 20-Oct-18 19:20:15

1) I really like it, especially the different heat levels while rotating, could use it on wetter hair rather than hair having to more or less be dry. It seems to be able to tackle a complete style from quite wet hair rather than a finishing tool. But, I have found hair was still getting trapped and pulled at the end of the barrel which I was a bit disappointed about. It's really good for the useless hair stylers like myself, but isn't the same as a style by someone who can world both round brush and hair dryer. However, it is soooo easy to use and extremely convenient and quick, it's brilliant for daily easy styling.

2) I had one a long time ago, I thought there seemed to be less bristles and it couldn't grip hair on the barrel as well as the older model so the tautness that would help create a sleeker style is lacking in the new model.

3) the sensor protect feature is a brilliant addition and I was comfortable using it a lot more / daily basis rather than for a night out / weekend /special ocassion.

4) I'd definately recommend it, but I think it would be better for clod handed people like me that need a helping hand to style hair easily rather than someone that is already pretty well skilled at styling.

I love using it, it has helped me look much more groomed on a daily basis, so a huge thank you Mumsnet for giving me the opportunity to test it smile

Ohdobakeoffdear Sun 21-Oct-18 13:41:52

I love it. I love the new design, the purple colour and the brush with bristles further apart. It makes my hair look better, sleek and groomed. It’s easy to use and does what it says on the tin.

Longer handle makes it easier to use for people who are not very good with all thigs beauty. Bristles located further apart mean less tangling, I certainly noticed the difference there.

In terms of the difference in results, with the new product I’m getting a very sleek tidy look really easily. However, spectacular uplift of roots was easier to achieve with the older brush. It’s entirely possible that it’s just a matter of getting used to how it works. I’d used the old brush daily for a couple of years so maybe it’s all down to practice.

It’s great for thin hair. I’ve been using the brush without applying any heat protection product and I haven’t noticed any hair damage or dryness.

Definitely. I already have!
Thank your for giving me the opportunity to try it.

MrsAlwaysRight Sun 21-Oct-18 16:59:47

On the whole I liked it. I think it takes a few goes to get used to it and initially I kept getting my hair caught in the section at the top like several other testers. It did give my hair a nice smooth finish and good volume.

I have some shorter layers at the back of my hair and I think these were probably a little too short for it to work well on, as they ended up sticking out a bit.

I had used what was probably the original model which was good but did tangle my hair a lot more than this model. This model seemed easier to operate and I liked the fact that it doesn't get as hot.

I liked that the temperature was limited to prevent heat damage to my hair and I felt like my hair was smoother than when I used an earlier version.

I would - particularly for people who struggle to co-ordinate using a hairdryer and brush like I do! My hair is prone to being very frizzy and it was definitely tamed by using this. I think the new model seems kinder to your hair and less likely to cause damage.

PurpleNailVarnish Mon 22-Oct-18 10:20:56

Firstly, thank you for letting me try this out, I was very excited to give it a go.

The improved styling is good, as is the weight distribution and lower heat.
Unfortunately, it just didn't work for my hair. My hair got caught in the end of the barrel so I used smaller sections of hair but when I did this the pull of the device was too harsh.
I tried every permutation of wet/dryer, products, I got my DDs to do it for me, I had my hair cut, I tried everything and still this pulls my hair and leaves it static and the ends were left ragged, rather than smooth.
The wider gaps between the lines of bristles on the barrel didn't seem to catch enough of my hair.

However, when I used it on my DDs. They have thicker hair than mine and it worked beautifully, it made their hair look shiny and professionally blow dried.

2. If you've used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care Compares?

I still have my older Big Hair and I use it all the time. Although I've read on MN that other people didn't like it I've found that it produces excellent results on my hair.

My hair is very fine, long and straight and I think the old big hair suits my hair type better than the new one. I'm guessing that this is due to the closer bristles on the old version and that the barrel doesn't pull my hair as hard.

It's good, one of the features I preferred on the new model when compared with the old big hair.

Yes, to someone with thicker hair than mine. My DDs loved it and they will definitely use it all the time.

Again, thank you for letting me try this. I wish it had worked for my hair.

sliceofkate Mon 22-Oct-18 12:42:12

I liked! I found it easy to use, and of course looks great. I found my hair (very long and thick) has a nice shinel blow dry bouncy effect after I have used the BaByliss BHC.

This new version definitely felt less tangley than the original, and not as awkward/bulky to hold. It didnt feel as hot as my original one which sometimes left a burning smell. Plus my arms get achy doing a proper blowdry with a hair dryer (longhair probs!) So with this i can do a blast dry so hair it 80%dry and then finish with the BBHC for a perfect result.

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair

I liked the fact that there are different heat settings, i could use the hottest setting for my ends and the cooler setting for roots/fringe.

Yes, I already have! I am of an age that is part of the ghd generation and have straightend my hair for a long time. Im now happy to not straighten my hair and use the BBHC for a smooth blow dry finish.

Byrdie Mon 22-Oct-18 14:11:24

Just wanted to add a photo... bit of info, I have a very strong curl and i can't get it straight easily without GHDs or it going very frizzy. This feels much MUCH more gentle than irons. I've been doing the curly girl method and avoiding silicones (the ingredient that smooths hair and makes it shiny and straight by coating it). This is it after using the babyliss without any product - very impressive that I can get it looking this smooth but I imagine it would be much better with some serum / smoothing products.

CryptoFascist Tue 23-Oct-18 00:28:13

Attractive design, easy to use handle.
Was simple to use and I found the ability to reverse the direction useful when my hair became tangled. My hair is long (bra strap length) and fine and did tangle quite a bit when I span the brush, so I ended up using it as a hot brush without the spin function. My hair looked smooth and shiny afterwards.
Much better. My old BBH was difficult to clean due to the dense bristles, I could never get to all the tangled hairs. I won't have that issue with this one
Not certain I noticed it. The cool setting was still fairly warm.
Yes but probably to people with shorter or thicker hair than mine.

BehemothPullsThePeasantsPlough Tue 23-Oct-18 15:17:10

1 What do you think of the Babyliss Big Hair Cafe
I like it. Rather more “feminine” styling than the old black cylinder (with a slight hint of sex toy or is that just me? grin) but comfy to hold. As ever it does the job, quickly and one handed.
2. How did it compare with the old model?
It took me a minute or two to get the hang of the slightly different handling so I got tangled on the first pass, just like I did with the old one, but I adjusted very quickly. The more spaced out bristles mean that it should be easier to clean. Photo attached for comparison - Black is the old one, purple is the new one.
3. What do you think of the sensor protect technology?
I certainly haven’t noticed being overheated - that was a occasional but rare occurrence on the old one.
4. Would you recommend it?
Yes I think so - it’s useful and very simple to use even for a klutz like me or a bone fide diagnosed dyspraxic like DD. It gives my very fine and slightly frizzy hair bounce and body, but it hasn’t made it magically smooth.

SoYo Tue 23-Oct-18 18:33:26

I think it definitely has the effect it's aiming for. Bouncy and smooth hair is achieved without too much effort.

I much prefer this one. My hair doesn't catch and tangle as it did so much with my old one and it's easier to handle.

I felt I'd scorched my hair on the previous one a few times but this hasn't happened this time so far so fingers crossed.

Yes definitely.

stayathomegardener Tue 23-Oct-18 21:07:33

I was impressed, superficially I loved the new colour ways/shape and practically I appreciated the final look I achieved.

It's quicker! I can start from 80% towel dried hair to finished style in 9 minutes.
Massive difference in hair breakage too, with the old product I was getting quite a collection of hair on the floor, (on tiles really need to hoover levels) the new product appears to just produce normal shedding. (Can totally get away with not hoovering)
Loved the cool setting which I used to set the style so it lasted much longer.

It definitely felt more controlled heat wise.
The condition of my hair also appears better but realistically that can't be why after just two weeks...

Absolutely! I've given a few demo's and had lots of compliments over the last couple of weeks.

Thank you for letting me test it.

Will try and post before and after.

stayathomegardener Tue 23-Oct-18 21:12:44

Before and after, I'm 50 in January and whilst the number doesn't phase me the thought of rubbish hair does. smile

twosoups1972 Tue 23-Oct-18 21:16:24

Love reading these reviews! I’m tempted to get one.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 23-Oct-18 21:41:00

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care? It was ok to begin with & is getting better now I'm getting used to it. I like that it keeps my hair sleek while giving it body.

2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares? n/a

3. What did you think of the sensor protect technology in the new Big Hair Care? It seems really good, I've not noticed it getting overly hot/ it making my hair very hot to touch at any point.

4. Would you recommend the BaByliss Big Hair Care? Yes & I'd encourage people to persevere if it doesn't give results on the first few goes.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Wed 24-Oct-18 12:05:48

I ordered one last night twosoups haha all these mumsneters can't be wrong grin

Scootergrrrl Wed 24-Oct-18 13:22:12

I think it's a brilliant idea. It makes such a difference to be able to allow my hair to air dry most of the way then spend five minutes zapping it into place.

2. If you've used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares?
I did have an older, smaller version of the Big Hair but found it made my hair a bit frizzy underneath and that it had stopped rotating properly. This version is so much better!

It's a great idea. Styling your hair with heat every day is bound to damage it in some way, so the idea of having tailored protection built in is brilliant.

Definitely, especially to those friends who look fabulous with swishy hair!

SavoyCabbage Wed 24-Oct-18 17:32:22

I found it easy to use. In spite of it's mighty size it didn't feel cumbersome and I found the direction changing quite instinctive.

It's a much better product. The new one has fewer bristles. My dd's have masses of curly hair and the older model was no good at all on their hair but this one smoothed out their curls successfully.

I am quite aware of not damaging my hair even further than I already have. I'm growing out a very blonde pixie cut so my hair is really damaged on the ends. This made it look smooth and feels far less harsh than straightening.

Yes I would. My hair feels swishy and 'done'. And longer. I only wash it every two to three days and the smooth look and feel lasted till I washed it again. For me, it's a easy method of making it look like I've made an effort.

magentastardust Wed 24-Oct-18 21:38:10

It seems there were very few reviewers picked who hadn't already used the original model... It Definitely sounds worth a buy though, reviews seem to be really good..I think I may have to put it on my x-mas list!

BehemothPullsThePeasantsPlough Wed 24-Oct-18 21:58:13

Yes they clearly wanted people who could compare with the original (and the original has been very popular on MN Style & Beauty for many years so there would have been a lot of applicants who already had one).

FreshEyre Thu 25-Oct-18 07:19:30

I loved it. It takes a while to do my thick, shoulder-length hair but it left it smooth and shiny with a bit of bounce. I do find that you need to blast it with a hairdryer and then finish off the last 20% of drying with the BBH so it doesn't replace the hairdryer completely. I do also section my hair as I dry it which seems to give better results.

This looks like a more expensive product, I liked the design although it took a while to get used to the buttons being in a slightly different place (muscle memory?!)

My old BBH frequently tangled my hair and I didn't have this problem with the new one. Not sure whether that's because it is new so only time will tell whether it tangles more once the bristles get softer. There was also less frizz with the new one.

It didn't seem to get as hot so I'm assuming that's the sensor protect? The good thing though is that my hair was less 'overdone' and frizzy.

Definitely! It was already a good product but the new version is far better.

ArchbishopOfBanterbury Thu 25-Oct-18 08:54:07

I really liked it. I did get my hair caught and tangled to start with, but once I got used to it I found the technique! My hair looks great afterwards - smooth with shine and volume.

The ew model has a longer barrel with fewer, long bristles. I loved the purple and gold colour. The buttons on this model were easier to find and use, especially behind my head.

I think the temperature is better for my hair =, but I found on "straight out of the shower" days I needed to use a hair dryer first. The old one would dry and straighten, but I think the cooler temperatures mean that would take ages. It's rare that I need to be in such a rush, and using two devices isn't really a hardship. My hair is probably healthier for it. But I will keep the old one for rush mornings and packing for holidays, for this reason. I felt like the cooler temperature did mean my hair was smoother and shinier. I think the new model seems kinder to your hair and less likely to cause damage, so I've been using it most days, without worry.

I would - it's easy to use and gives great effects without too much skill required.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 25-Oct-18 17:33:43

I liked it - although I have very thick hair so have always had to dry my hair about 95% before using it.

I much prefer it. My hair is long and used to tangle badly with the old BH. So much so, that I had nearly stopped using it. I also felt it was damaging my hair as it was so hot. My hair has tangled much less with the new version and it doesn't feel so uncontrollably hot.

Like other posters, I hadn't picked up on this feature but assume it is to do with heat control?

Yes - albeit, to get a good result, I think you do need to blow dry your hair as the big hair cant really give the sane results as a blow dry at the roots which requires heat directed from above the hair (i.e. from a hairdryer) to smooth it before drying the ends with a round brush. The BH can curl the ends and provide volume at the roots but can't smooth as effectively as the heat is basically coming from underneath. I do sometimes find that I can get a good result at the ends and crown with the BH but my roots can still look quite frizzy

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Thu 25-Oct-18 20:25:02

Its taken a while to get used to it, more user error than anything else, my hair is waist length so I needed to get used to sectioning it and drying it properly. I need to blast first and then use.

2. If you’ve used an older version of the Big Hair in the past, how do you think the new Big Hair Care compares.

I prefer the sleeker design of the new one and its less chunkier so easier to handle.

I can’t say I’ve noticed although I’ve also not had any over heating issues and it’s never felt too hot to handle.

Yes, it’s a handy tool and I feel it leaves a better finish than hot irons.

AliciaMayEmory Fri 26-Oct-18 15:59:42

I've already posted my answers to the 4 questions, but I just wanted to update now that I have been using the BBHC for a while now and I feel much more proficient at working it and getting good results. My hair this morning was my best attempt yet and I loved the lift and volume that I had at the roots. It also felt so smooth and shiny. The first couple of time I used this new BBHC I thought it was good, but a bit of a faff. Now, though, it is getting easier and I'm getting quicker, so it may even become my usual way of styling my hair, as opposed to just weekends and days off as I originally thought it might be.

I've recommended it to 3-4 different friends now, all who are very interested in having a go with it! I've had a go with it on both DD (11yo) who has really long and thick hair, and DS (9yo, and has just above shoulder length surfer-ish hair) and it gave really good results on both.

Thanks for the opportunity to test out this hair styler. It will be used well in our household! smile

OutComeTheWolves Sun 28-Oct-18 07:04:30

I found it a bit tricky to get to grips with at first, but that's probably more of a reflection on my skills than on the product. Once I'd got to grips with it (after watching a few YouTube vids) I loved how it made my hair look.

I also found that once I knew what I was doing, I became much more efficient at using it. Initially I couldn't see myself using it in the morning while getting ready for work as I thought it'd be too time consuming however it only took a couple of goes before I changed my mind about that.

I've had one in the past, but I have very thick hair and it kept catching on the barrel. This didn't happen with this one. I also find this one dries better than the previous one.

I loved it. I thought this was a really good addition.

Yes I definitely would.

BretonStripe Mon 29-Oct-18 08:42:47

Hmm. I'm tempted. But have fine, poker straight hair in a long bob.

Do we think it's worth waiting a while and seeing if they bring out a smaller barrel version (like the 42mm BBH I liked until it stopped rotating).

WildCherryBlossom Mon 29-Oct-18 08:45:56

First of all enormous thanks for the opportunity to test the new Babyliss. I have lots of very fine hair which has always been a little unruly and difficult to tame!

The new Babyliss looks very smart. I liked the packaging and the feel of the new appliance.

It does an excellent job of tackling my unruly locks and giving a salon finish at home. It's very easy to use. I have a lot of hair. I usually work on hair around 80% dry and divide it into sections using clips, starting at the back to get best results. The Babyliss holds the hair really well and doesn't get too hot (my hair has become quite brittle in recent years and I'm trying hard to protect it - avoiding too much heat etc)

I have had the old version for around 2 or 3 years and a huge fan. The new one definitely holds the hair better thanks to the new brush configuration, so you can tackle larger chunks of hair at a time if you want to get the job done more quickly. It definitely doesn't feel as hot either. The downside of less heat seems to be a little less bounce than I achieved using the old one, but I feel like it's doing my hair less damage which is good. I don't get quite such "Big Hair" from the new appliance but I do get more polished, shiny looking hair.

The only improvement I can think of would be to the buttons. Because I have such a lot of hair I sometimes get very achy holding the buttons down for the duration of a full blow dry. (This was the same with the old one btw)

This is an excellent improvement. With the old appliance you have to be very careful not to get in a tangle. The new one senses if you get tangled and automatically unfurls a little to release the hair. Brilliant!

Absolutely! I frequently recommended the old version when people complemented my hair and would steer them towards the new version now. In the meantime my DD is delighted to be the proud owner of my old one.

WildCherryBlossom Mon 29-Oct-18 09:28:03

@BretonStripe I reckon it would give your hair some body. The big barrel creates body rather than curls so it's very good at bringing hair to life. My youngest has super fine bobbed hair and I've used it to make her look and feel more dressed up for special occasions. I can get it to flick out slightly at the ends if she wants but equally I can dry it straight but more glossy and thicker looking than if left to its own devices.

twosoups1972 Mon 29-Oct-18 09:59:33

A question - I have long thick slightly wavy hair. I cannot blow dry to save my life so currently I just air dry it then straighten when dry. I like quite a sleek look, not too much body. Can I achieve this with the babyliss?

strawberryblondebint Mon 29-Oct-18 19:27:09

First impression was hmm less bristles and the first time I used it it was pulling. However I forgot that I had hairspray in my hair.
I duly washed it and tried again with damp hair. Again I was disappointed as I felt the older one worked better and this one didn't seem to do the same. Less volume and couldn't seem to get it to make much difference.

However husband bought me a haircut for my birthday. What a difference now. Turns out that my layers etc were too long and weighing my hair down. So I dried it after my haircut and wow. Gorgeous bouncy cute hair. Loads of comments from colleagues. Doing a reverse pony tail on dry hair every morning and feel like I'm getting a salon blow dry. So happy now.

I still don't think it's as good. It feels heavier however my old one broke yonks ago so this could be me talking crap. I'm not sure about the less bristles but on the plus side less tangles.
I love it.
Actually not that bothered. It wouldn't sell it to me. Hair is in ok condition. .
Yes yes yes. Definitely worth it for hair like mine. I feel a bit like Kate Middleton after I use it.

Bringmewineandcake Mon 29-Oct-18 21:59:27

I really like the babyliss big hair care. I was surprised by the instructions to use it once my hair was 80% dry - if I wait that long my hair will be a massive frizz ball that nothing will tame. I did ignore this instruction but having used an earlier version of the big hair care I was comfortable in doing so.

I love how soft my hair feels after using this, and the extra volume it gives my hair.

The newer model seems to have fewer bristles than the version I have used before, and the centre was plastic rather than metal. Other than that I didn’t really notice a difference between the two.

Absolutely no idea what this is, sorry!

I really would. I’ve used the older one for a couple of years and love how soft it makes my hair. I don’t use the barrel rotation because the few times I have I get a bit nervous about how quickly my hair seems to get wound up by my scalp! I love the effect it has on my hair though. I like my hair to be quite smooth and the big hair care means I only have to run my straighteners over the very top layer to create the effect I want, which means my hair is suffering less heat damage as a result.

Thanks ever so much for letting me test this one.

Tequilamockinbird Thu 08-Nov-18 17:57:21

Sorry this is late, I've been trying to get the hang of it for a few weeks blush

1. What did you think of the BaByliss Big Hair Care? Nice colour, packaged well, bristles seem stronger than the old one, quite heavy.

My hair catches much easier in the new version. The gap around the bottom of the barrel gets hair tangled in it, and I have to use really small sections to stop that happening. This didn't happen with the old one and so the new one takes longer to dry and style my hair. I also have more flyaway bits with the new one, it doesn't seem to grab my hair as tight as the old one. The new one is also heavier, but I think my hair looks glossier and smoother with the new one.

My hair looks and feels glossier and smoother.

Yes. It still leaves a very good finish and hair feels in better condition. I think if I hadn't any experience of the old one, then I'd think this one was excellent. Unfortunately I don't think it's as good as the old one though, for me anyway.

Playmobilpeacock Sun 18-Nov-18 11:42:53

It took a while to get used to it but I have grown to really like it. It takes up quite a lot of space but it looks good and it's easy to use.

At first I did miss the thicker bristles of the old version but I have got used to it. The new version has tangled my hair a few times but this has happened less with practise. I do think the new version causes less damage. It's more like a hairdryer than a styling tool.

It still gets very hot but doesn't burn and I can't see any hair damage. My hair always looks better after using this over a hairdryer.

I would recommend it, definitely. My hair looks so much better when I use the BaByliss big hair and I often get compliments. It is so quick and simple to use and so effective.

JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-18 10:51:12

Thanks all for giving your feedback! The winner of the prize draw is @purplepandas fgrin

stayathomegardener Thu 29-Nov-18 20:29:47

Congratulations @purplepandas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »