Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Would you like to test mobile network operator The People’s Operator (TPO)?

(36 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-18 14:57:08

The People’s Operator (TPO) - the mobile network operator that gives 10% of your monthly cost to a cause of your choice - has asked us to find 75 Mumsnetters to test their service over a period of 3-4 months and then give their feedback.

Here’s what The People’s Operator has to say: “We’re proud to have launched a different kind of mobile company - one with a mission to raise millions for good causes. We direct 10% of what you spend to any good cause of your choice - at no cost to you. We also believe our members should be able to get a top service and make a massive difference at the same time, so we don’t spend money on huge offices, giant billboards or flashy stores and we pass these massive savings on, so you pay less for messages, minutes and megabytes.”

If selected, you’ll receive a plan for 6 months (worth up to £119.94). Prior to receiving your sim, you’ll need to complete a short survey. Then, following the receipt of your sim, you’ll need to give feedback periodically throughout the testing period on a private Mumsnet feedback thread, as well as completing a survey about your experience at the end of the test.

If you’re interested in being a tester, please sign up here.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&CS apply

carolineandbaby Mon 23-Apr-18 20:17:49

Can you keep your existing mob number?

GreatThingsWork Tue 24-Apr-18 12:45:33

Honestly DON'T they almost sent my DH to a breakdown. Totally appalling customer service and unreliable.

LadyFuchsiaGroan Tue 24-Apr-18 14:27:39

I would seriously avoid. I got a sim from them and the whole customer service was shocking. From transferring my number over and the fact they still have money in my account which they won't transfer back over, such a hard company to deal with.

PeterPiperPickedSeaShells Tue 24-Apr-18 14:53:42

What happens about our mobile number?

moofolk Tue 24-Apr-18 15:58:33

I'd try it. My contract is nearly up with EE.

GreatThingsWork Tue 24-Apr-18 18:39:16

They'll transfer your number and if you don't like the service they'll put you through hell to get it back.

foobio Tue 24-Apr-18 19:32:33

I already have a contract with them and it is ok - it is very cheap. But I have found two limitations:

The SIM does not work abroad, it cannot connect to foreign networks, so you cannot receive calls let alone make them. (Confirmed on their FAQs).

Unconfirmed with the company, but it seems it is incapable of receiving calls from VoIP systems like Skype or Lync - which is what my work use, so I cannot be contacted by anyone in the office.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 24-Apr-18 20:15:57

The name puts me right off. No thanks.

Scrumptiousbears Tue 24-Apr-18 21:23:51

What network do they use?

mmzz Wed 25-Apr-18 06:50:45

You could just use giffgaff, which doesn't do contracts and give the money saved to the charity of your choice??

carolineandbaby Wed 25-Apr-18 07:21:04

I’m on giffgaff and really recommend them

AngelwingsPetlamb Wed 25-Apr-18 09:44:19

It’s only 6 months free and then before you know it you will be transferred onto one of their regular tariffs and start paying them. So unless you have your ducks lined up in month 5 with a new chosen provider / deal it looks like a lot of hard work for very little in return and a cheap way for the company to get lots of free feedback and some new customers.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Wed 25-Apr-18 10:26:10

Done 😆

JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-18 13:03:45

Hi all, TPO has asked us to pass on the below regarding this product test:

“We’d firstly just like to say thank you for engaging with the page and taking the time to consider this product test. We reached out to the Mumsnet team because we knew that families are one of the most charitable communities in the UK, so we felt it was important to get your view on our products and ethos of giving back. We also knew that we would get a no holds barred view from Mumsnetters, and that’s exactly what we want and need. We’re a small organisation, and we are by no means perfect. We think we provide a good service but know we will fall and stumble a few times. With your help, we can iron some of those kinks out and provide a better product for families. We thank you once again for your consideration and your feedback.”

joanne070479 Thu 26-Apr-18 15:04:25

I'd try it too, my contract will be ending in the next few months so why not?

sleep5 Fri 27-Apr-18 05:52:56

It's rather disturbing that they want all the details in that survey - it seems more like a personal details gathering exercise. We know from the Facebook scandal how valuable personal details are to companies as they can be sold on for great profit and used to manipulate people.

They are providing no details about themselves in return. They are not explaining why they require those details. They are not explaining what being a tester involves or if there is any cost involved. They have not said what network they are using (many people avoid some networks due to the poor coverage in their home or work areas). They have not responded to posts saying that their service can't be used overseas or for calls from company based Skype etc.

I suspect you'd get a much better deal by changing your contract each year to a competitive offer from the main networks then making a separate donation to charity.

I am going to avoid them.

sleep5 Fri 27-Apr-18 06:11:23

The are using Three mobile's network which has dire coverage in parts of London and where I live. 4G speed is very poor compared with networks like Vodafone.

The offer is for 6 months of their £19.99/month contract: 8GB data, 3000 mins and unlimited texts. That is very poor value for money - for £20/month Three offer 30GB data, unlimited mins and texts.

If you want to be charitable then you could get Three's £15/month plan with 12GB data, unlimited mins and text and free usage overseas then make a separate £5 donation to charity - then you're getting a much better deal and paying 13.3% to charity every month.

I think this company is offering poor value plans even if you take into account giving 10% to charity. It's disturbing to hear about their poor customer service and the trouble that people have had transferring their number away from them.

sleep5 Fri 27-Apr-18 06:13:21

Sorry, my maths is terrible. If you get the £15 Three plan and give £5 to charity then you're giving 33%, not 13.3%!

babasaclover Fri 27-Apr-18 13:12:23

Their plans are more expensive than everyone else and they give your money to charity? Why not just donate yourself. I do all mine through payroll so it comes out of salary before tax is taken. If they matched your donation like sky tv do for wwf then it would make sense

MarcellaBackland Fri 27-Apr-18 20:13:10

Giffgaff is great, and cheaper by more than 10%, so I can cut out the middleman and donate the money I save directly to the charity of my choice.

GladAllOver Sat 28-Apr-18 10:38:13

Having read all the comments above, I will steer well clear. There are so many other good deals about.

yorkshireyummymummy Sat 28-Apr-18 22:13:05

If the comments above hadn’t put me off then them wanting to know what profession the highest wage earner in the house hold has, plus salary bracket PLUS the ages of my children...........errr , that’s a no then.

Elusiveone Sun 29-Apr-18 23:14:38

No thanks ill stick to my unlimited mins and texts n 2 gb from smarty for £7.50 a month abd if i dont use all my 2gb they take it off my next month and i only have to pay £5 a month

thecapitalsunited Mon 30-Apr-18 08:24:59

Why have they picked a name which makes it sound like Britain First have started an MVNO?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: