Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Find out what MNers and their DC’s got up to at the Build-A-Bear Workshop! NOW CLOSED!

(173 Posts)
AaronMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Mar-18 15:20:13

We were asked by Build-A-Bear Workshop to find 150 Mumsnetters to visit the stores closest to their homes in order to trial their bear-building service. Read on to see what they thought of the in-store experience.

Here’s what Build-A-Bear have to say: “CeleBEARate Easter with Build-A-Bear! From birthdays and holidays to good behaviour or an A+ at school, there are so many moments to #celeBEARate with a new furry friend from Build-A-Bear Workshop! Help us #celeBEARate Easter this year.

As we approach the Easter holiday and half term break, parents are always looking for fun, unique and personalized activities and traditions for the family. Bring your kids to Build-A-Bear Workshop to share a fun, heart-filled experience. Document your experience in photos and let us know about your experience with your kids and what made it memorable and meaningful.”

Testers, please share your photos and answer the following questions on the thread below:

1. Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.
2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?
4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?

Everyone that shares their feedback and fills in a short survey as required will be entered into a prize draw where one tester will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Bee70 Sun 01-Apr-18 20:22:17

DS decided to make a bear for his little sister as it was her birthday this week. He picked a pony and had great fun adding in the sounds (he wanted the matching pony sound) and strawberry scent as that is DDs favourite. He then went round the shop trying out various accessories and clothes to see what looked best, and decided on the name 'Princess Rainbow Heart' to show he had put all his best love into making it.

3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?
I would definitely recommend BAB to others. Although it is a bit pricey, you get a completely individualised bear made with love, and as long as the shop isn't too busy and you can take your time, it is a wonderful experience - totally worth what you pay.

4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?
The experience was brilliant - the staff were amazing, they talked us through what to do (as we were a bit clueless) and when it came to stuffing the bear and adding the extra touches, they were really patient with DS as he tried to explain what he wanted and they made the experience so magical by showing him how to fill the heart with love, and opening the scent packs so he could choose what he wanted. The range of accessories was really good too and we liked that you could mix and match to your heart's content.
Thank you so much for letting us try BAB out. (and DD loved her present!)

CoffeeOrSleep Sun 01-Apr-18 21:20:08

2. Meet Poppy! DD (aged 4) is waging a campaign for a dog and all things dog related are amazing. She was never going to pick a bear! Poppy was acquired at the Bluewater store.

Poppy doesn't have a scent, but will bark if you throttle her (at Dds suggest, the sound thing is in her throat - lovely!), has spangle shoes and can change from the purple dress to a pink tutu when the fancy takes her.

3. I might recommend build a bear - however with the caveat this does seem a very expensive way to get a stuffed toy, and while the picking and creating experience were fun and interesting, it doesn't take that long so not really a holiday activity on its own. (The £50 voucher seemed about right to leave with a dressed toy, having been able to say "yes" to the extra bits like noises/hearts etc, so if I was to take both my dcs, I wouldn't expect much change from £100 for 2 stuffed toys and an activity that took under half an hour.)

4. DD loved it! She liked putting the heart in, stuffing the toy herself, the staff were amazing with her, even though they were clearly busy. We didn't have to wait very long to get the toy stuffed or to pay.

For a one off treat - it was fabulous.

littleme96 Mon 02-Apr-18 11:29:36

We visited the Bluewater store on Saturday. This isn't our local Build A Bear workshop, but we were away for the weekend and so decided to visit as a surprise for our 2 children. None of us had ever been before.

2. We made 2 bears - Toothless the Dragon (name self explanatory!) and a Unicorn called Cupcake, who is named after the cupcake scent she is filled with. Toothless has a lavender scent inside him and both toys have the special beating heart. They decided to not choose any other sounds, as the beating heart was deemed to be particularly special in itself! Deciding on the scent was probably the hardest part, because we were only going on the scent name - samples outside of the packets to sniff would have been welcome to assist with this!

3. I would recommend Build-A-Bear to friends for a special occasion. It is expensive, especially if you get lots of accessories and clothing, however I think the experience for the child goes quite a way to justifying the cost. I probably wouldn't use the website as a result of this, because you would be paying the premium price without the experience which just wouldn't be the same.

4. As mentioned previously, none of us had ever been to Build A Bear before, however after being slightly overwhelmed initially the clear signage really helped us to understand what to do and where to go next. It was really busy, but the staff didn't rush either child and we had a really good experience despite the amount of people in the shop. The filling process was our favourite part and the children both enjoyed choosing what would go into their bears, activating the heart by doing actions (my youngest was a little bemused by this) and rubbing their chosen scents on the bear before it was put inside.

Overall, we had a lovely time and both bears are already prized possessions. Thank you. smile

Chrisinthemorning Mon 02-Apr-18 13:45:38

DS (5) made a Chewbacca bear named Chewie. He chose to make that bear because he loves Star Wars. He considered a Pikachu bear but DH and I encouraged Chewie because we like Star Wars toogrin
He makes a rookie sound, has a beating heart and smells of candy floss! He has a crossbow.
I would recommend because DS really enjoyed it and loved his new bear. It was nearly £50 though so an expensive treat - would only do for a birthday or similar.
The in store experience (White Rose Leeds) was very good- staff were friendly and helpful and great with DS.
The highlight was the birth certificate- DS was very impressed!

InTheRoseGarden Mon 02-Apr-18 15:06:21

1. Photo attached

2. DS (4yo) chose this My Little Pony. Her name is Princess. I suggested the name because by that point the shop was filling up and I wanted to go! DS very happy with the suggestion though. DS is obsessed with My Little Pony The Movie. Not sure what this one is called in the film but DS was over the moon to get this. Said he'd have to get Chase from Paw Patrol next time grin

3. Yes I would recommend. I was expecting to say that it's too expensive but we went to the one in Swindon which is an outlet store and the discounts made the price ok. DS and his little brother (who got a Sonic the Hedgehog called "Zing") have had lots of fun already with their Build a Bears. They were excited to go to "the teddy bear factory". I would recommend it as a fun activity where they get to take away something they really love at the end. We'll be doing it again (having never done it before).

4. DS was a little overwhelmed because it was busy, noisy and a bit chaotic. He enjoyed choosing his teddy but found the stuffing machine a bit noisy. His little brother (2yo) took over on the filling pedal for him! DS will have more fun in the shop next time now it's familiar to him.

Highlight for me was the preparation of the heart to go in the teddy. DS took it very seriously. smile Otherwise the experience for me was better than expected because I did expect chaos going on Good Friday and thought there would be drama and tears in the selection process (there was only a little from DSs little brother who didn't want to put the sample teddy back). Negative bits: forgetting / not being given the birth certificates at the till, two out of three birth certificate machines broken, sonic's arm going floppy already!

Thanks so much for this it was a fun experience for my two little sons and they both absolutely love their "teddies". 🙏

wishingchair1 Mon 02-Apr-18 17:51:23

We went today with DD 8 and 5. We decided to get them both a bear, so I was conscience that the voucher would only cover one.
When arriving at the Sheffield BAB, I checked for any in-store vouchers and found a £10 off £30 spend.
Dd8 selected a rainbow bear, chose a top, skirt, shoes and glasses for her.
She enjoyed the building of it and the staff were lovely and very interactive. We recorded a message and chose a popcorn smell. I paid for Giggles first and was offered a £10 voucher for £5, so opted for that to put towards dd2 bear. With the £10 off it came to around £35.
Dd2 chose a cat called Whiskers, again she loved the making of it and staff were happy chatting along to it. She loved the heart section, making it funny and clever. Again she recorded a personal message and chose a strawberry smell. My partner also had a £10 off voucher for her and the gift card.
We bought another gift card for the future and received another £10 off voucher. I suspect we will order some accessories online.
The experience was fun and interactive. They had wanted to do this for a while, but has been too expensive.
I would take them back and keep an eye out for offers etc. Had a great to time testing this out. Thanks for choosing us.

firsttimekat Mon 02-Apr-18 17:53:22

We went to the Brighton store with our 4yr old DS. We hadn't been to one before and he wasn't aware of the concept, in hindsight we should have spent more time beforehand explaining it but we hadn't so he was very overwhelmed in the store and an overbearing staff member didn't help. He is very into cuddly toys but initially said he didn't want anything as it was just too much for him.

After a lot of explaining and direction he ended up choosing two, toothless the dragon and a teddy he named Benny who he later chose a power ranger outfit for and who got a power ranger sound box. He loves power rangers at the moment so when he saw the outfit it was quickly chosen. We did walk round the whole store to look at the outfits before choosing a bear.

He has ended up with 2 toys that he loves but I wouldn't recommend build a bear to other parents with younger children as the concept was too much for DS and he would have been just as happy with a standard teddy at a much cheaper price! For a older children who would enjoy the process I might recommend.

Overall we found it chaotic and overwhelming, perhaps because we hadn't done enough to explain the process and perhaps because we spent a lot of time wandering round the store explaining things and there was a big birthday party going on! I was disappointed that the staff member wasn't able to gauge my DSs reaction to him and back off, he also couldn't spell a fairly basic name which was worrying. DS did enjoy the stuffing machine and using the foot pedal to help stuff the bears and liked creating the birth certificate. He loves the teddies he chose but I wouldn't have been happy with the price tag!

However he has ended up with 2 teddies that he is really pleased with so thank you build a bear and mumsnet.

wishingchair1 Mon 02-Apr-18 17:57:36

We went today with DD 8 and 5. We decided to get them both a bear, so I was conscience that the voucher would only cover one.
When arriving at the Sheffield BAB, I checked for any in-store vouchers and found a £10 off £30 spend.
Dd8 selected a rainbow bear, chose a top, skirt, shoes and glasses for her.
She enjoyed the building of it and the staff were lovely and very interactive. We recorded a message and chose a popcorn smell. I paid for Giggles first and was offered a £10 voucher for £5, so opted for that to put towards dd2 bear. With the £10 off it came to around £35.
Dd2 chose a cat called Whiskers, again she loved the making of it and staff were happy chatting along to it. She loved the heart section, making it funny and clever. Again she recorded a personal message and chose a strawberry smell. My partner also had a £10 off voucher for her and the gift card.
We bought another gift card for the future and received another £10 off voucher. I suspect we will order some accessories online.
The experience was fun and interactive. They had wanted to do this for a while, but has been too expensive.
I would take them back and keep an eye out for offers etc. Had a great to time testing this out. Thanks for choosing us.

BuildingBearFun Mon 02-Apr-18 18:24:05

We went today. Thankfully it was quite quiet at 3pm, I’m not sure I could have coped with hoards of over-excited toddlers.

Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?

We visited the Exeter store today. I had already looked online and DS (4) had decided that he wanted a transformers bear. He chose a plain bear and a couple of outfits to go with it. The staff were friendly and helpful (not utterly joyless like I worried they might be). They made the experience fun for DS but didn’t push him on a couple of things he was reluctant about, like sounds and scents for the bear. He didn’t want to put a heart in either and the assistant tried to encourage him but didn’t push too hard which was good. DS can be a bit tricky about that kind of thing and and was having a slightly volatile weekend, having been glutened at Nursery in the week (he has coeliac disease).

She let DS help to refill the fluff machine and press the pedal to fill the bear with stuffing. DS called his bear Bongo hmm and is thrilled with him. I don’t know why he chose that name, other than he likes funny rhyming type words.

Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?

Yes, but I would also recommend looking at the website in advance for offers and to see how you could get most bang for your buck. The outfits were very expensive - it didn’t help that DS wanted film tie in costumes, but they were a tenner each even in the sale. I could almost have bought DS a costume for the same money shock

How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?

It was fun and a nice way to spend a bit of one to one time with DS. The staff were great. He enjoyed the choosing process and didn’t find it stressful like I thought he might. He was happy to chat to the staff about his bear and he loved helping with the fluff machine and the filling of the bear.

BirdsInTheAttic Mon 02-Apr-18 18:39:44

Meet Rainbow, the rock star princess bear. I think she's actually a leopard but DD (4) has decided bear. She's very colourful, and has a crown, a hoodie, sunglasses and shimmery shoes. She also has a heartbeat and plays a Disney song 😂

This was our first visit to Build a Bear and I did find it pretty pricey (though since we had the voucher we did decide to go all out and just spend it, hence the full range of extras!)

I would recommend the Build a Bear experience, perhaps more as a special treat or birthday present. I think a gift voucher would be a lovely present as the recipient would get the experience as well as the finished bear.

We found the experience really good. I hadn't been sure what to expect but we were definitely impressed. The shop wasn't too busy and I was only with DD (rather than both DC) so that probably helped.
The staff were helpful and enthusiastic without being overbearing (haha just realised the pun there). We loved watching the stuffing machine and DD especially enjoyed the heart ceremony and choosing clothes. She definitely felt like she was creating a special toy, and I think Rainbow is going to be well-loved!

BuildingBearFun Mon 02-Apr-18 19:22:36

Just been reading the other experiences. I would agree that a guide at the start would be helpful. It sounds like we had a good experience but it might have been better if DS had wanted more to engage with bringing the bear to life etc.

Our visit didn’t take long - probably less than half an hour - but if he was the type of child to spend ages choosing and deliberating over outfits etc it would have lasted longer.

Patienceofatoddler Mon 02-Apr-18 19:22:41

@AaronMumsnet how do we access the survey please?

New to this so have not seen anything about it - Will we be emailed a link? Thank You.

tworonnies1957 Mon 02-Apr-18 19:41:57

Hi there mumsnet did a post asking for mumsnet users and there kids 7 and under to test out build a bear workshop and they be given a voucher for £50.00 to use all these that entered have been told if they were winners so sorry if didn't enter your now to late as winners have been picked I was one those that were very lucky to win

tworonnies1957 Mon 02-Apr-18 19:43:44

did receive a email from build a bear to say you had got a £50.00 voucher

Smallinthesmoke Mon 02-Apr-18 21:26:09

Here is DD2's monkey Joe. He comes with two outfits- Spider-Man and jeans/T-shirt (for when he is in Peter Parker-mode). As soon as we saw the super-hero range there was no doubt what she would go for- and even Wonder-woman costumes weren't cutting it... It had to be Spider-Man all the way. Joe also has snazzy red boots, makes pow noises when fighting villains and comes with a blue rucksack (complete with arm holes) for when travelling around on DD's back, so he can see a bit of the world. This little lot came in at £54.
We had a fantastic time at Hamleys. I went as early in the day as possible yet it was utterly heaving, with some serious cash being spent. The staff without exception were excellent- the incredibly cheery Adam was the first to see us and made DD2 her name sticker, gave her a dog on roller-skates (!) to pull about and talked us through the process. Francesca was on the stuffing machine and really put on a good show with all the spiel about the strong heart and the toy being your best friend forever (DD totally fell for this and is still reciting it) and Courtney helped us with the outfits - happy to try anything on- and getting the total up to the right amount. Unlike reports from other shops, I didn't find the Hamleys staff pushy at all- having said that, I think it is really helpful to a) look online first so you have a vague idea what you will want (it is pretty overwhelming) and b) go in with an idea of what you want to spend so the staff can guide you to that level. Then Josh was on the till and made the birth certificate. I don't know how much these guys are earning but they deserve a pay rise as they work in the noisiest craziest place full of tourists pushing and kids yelling, and yet somehow they manage to make the whole thing feel fresh and fun. They even stop for a Build-A-bear song for kids' parties.
I must admit that previous Mumsnet threads have been a bit down on Build-a-bear but we really enjoyed it. DD said it was her best day ever except Christmas and birthday, and she had been glued to Joe ever since. The main issue is of course the cost- you could get a decent bear and t-shirt and one sound for less than £30 but even that will be out of many budgets. I also would not take a small sibling but just the child for whom you are buying, as it is very hectic. I think this is perfect for a 5 or 6 year old who can look forward to the treat and not freak out at all the choice. Make a day out of it and go and play with all the other toys in Hamleys too.
Thank you for the opportunity to take part, we had a wonderful time.

nocturnalanimals Mon 02-Apr-18 21:48:30

1. Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.
2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories? We visited the Lakeside store on Easter Monday and my 4 year old has chosen a bunny. She was unsure what to call it and we were deciding between 3 different names, in the end the SA helped us out and my daughter agreed with her to call it Fluffy. I knew we could chose the clothes but being offered to choose a noise the toy would make and the scent was a nice surprise. My daughter decided on a rabbit noise and a popcorn scent.
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why? Yes, I would definitely recommend, it ws a nice family experience and we also took grandma with us as she wasn’t aware there was such store where you could build your bear from scratch. We had a lot of fun choosing the scent, listening to different noises, choosing the heart and deciding on the clothes and shoes.
4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights? Being able to chose a scent, myself, my husband and my mum found it quite amusing. My daughter loved the whole experience, choosing the heart, warming it up, rubbing it on her belly so that the bunny would never get hungry, being able to chose the clothes and shoes was great fun. I also liked the fact that the £50 voucher went quite far and she was able to chose anything she liked including the scent and the noise which has added to the overall positive experience.

MoanaofMotunui Mon 02-Apr-18 22:07:13

2. We visited the Swindon store as an end of term treat for DD. As we walked through the door, the first thing that struck DP and I was how tidy the shop was. We passed the Oxford store many years ago and it always seemed crowded and the boxes of bears looked like a jumble sale! But the Swindon store was lovely and tidy, all the bears were neatly in their boxes, the displays were fantastic and it was so easy to see what each bear would look like once finished, which really helped DD decide which to choose.

After much deliberation, DD chose a cat bear which she called Heartsweets (due to looking sweet and being covered in hearts!) and was also kind enough to choose a Toothless for her little brother. We had a good rummage through the boxes of sounds and eventually DD chose one with lots of cat noises. Then we had a good sniff of all the scents and DD chose a cupcake scent for her bear. Between the bears, sounds and scents, there really is so much choice and it really helped that the shop was kept very tidy and well organised so that it wasn’t confusing or overwhelming when deciding what to choose.

DD was asked to choose a heart to put into her bear and had to do lots of actions which corresponded to the characteristics that would be nice for her new friend to have e.g. ‘Jump up and down so she has lots of energy’. DD really enjoyed this! She then got to press down on the button to help stuff the bear before putting the heart and scent into the bear. We were really pleased with the finished result, the sound is very clear and easy to press through the paw, the scent really surprised us as I didn’t think it’d be as noticeable as it is... it smells gorgeous! We were all also very happy with how well the bears are stuffed, they turn out to be quite substantial in size and are very cuddly!

Next we moved on to choosing some clothes. DD chose a t-shirt and shorts combo as the t-shirt had a leopard print (we have a fascination with cats at the mo!!) She also chose some sparkly rainbow shoes and a headband. I think the theme was ‘how jazzy can we make this bear look’!😂 We then moved on to making the bear’s birth certificate (with DD strongly vetoing the suggestion of renaming her bear ‘Mr Motivator’ on account of the outfit!!)

Finally we paid for the bears and clothes. We were really surprised that 2 bears, 1 sound, 1 scent, an outfit, shoes and a headband only came to £43. We were asked if we’d like to use the remainder of the voucher to purchase 2 £10 gift cards for £5 each, so we decided to do this and have £20 to spend in store in the future as DD had really enjoyed making her bear and one for her baby brother.

3. We would absolutely recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop! We found the staff really friendly and helpful, so much choice in regards to bears, sounds, scents, clothes etc! Also the quality of the bears is fantastic, they’re a really substantial size and feel very sturdy once stuffed. It was such an enjoyable experience and is a really fantastic treat or gift idea. DD really likes the idea of collecting bears and clothes from now on!!

4. We really enjoyed the whole experience. DD can’t decide what her favourite part was. But I think for myself and DP, it was seeing her personality and style coming out while she was choosing the bear’s clothes and chatting to the member of staff about the characteristics she’d like her bear to have! Also seeing both of our little ones smiling and choosing their bears and DD helping DS choose a bear!! We had a really enjoyable time, lots of laughs, made some lovely memories and will definitely be heading back for another cuddly friend in the future! Thank you so much for selecting us for this product test!

MoanaofMotunui Mon 02-Apr-18 22:22:03

Sorry, my photos don't seem to want to attach 😭 will have another try tomorrow x

bakingqueen Mon 02-Apr-18 22:28:41

We visited the Trafford centre store today on bank holiday Monday which in retrospect may have been a bad idea. The shop was very busy. We have never been before so it was a bit baffling walking in and figuring out what to do. A member of staff helped us however. The selection of toys was good and my son was delighted to find toothless from how to train your dragon amongst the selection. He also picked a bear for his brother who he insisted on sharing the treat with as his brother was too young for Easter eggs. Recording the voice was baffling as when I initially tried all it picked up was the background noise despite the signs saying this would not happen. Another member of staff helped us however and took us into a back room to record my message to my son to go inside toothless. The stuffing of the bears was a great hit with them both the staff member was really attentive and my son enjoyed jumping on the spot etc to give the dragon characteristics as well as the beating heart inside. The staff member was very attentive to them both and my son said that putting the stuffing in himself was the best bit.

The lack of accessories for tooothless did annoy my son because we could find none. I have since looked online but only found a saddle.

The queue for birth certificates was very long so my son did not want to wait as ‘its obvious his name is toothless mummy you have seen the film’. Stage 5 for photos also got missed as the shop had piled cardboard boxes in front of that area so any pictures taken would have been ruined anyway.

The staff at the till were very helpful and explained the different packing methods. My youngest son did not want to let go of his bear so there was no point in getting anything for him. My oldest son wanted the backpack he particularly liked the fact the dragons arms and head could stick out. That was a hit with him and he enjoyed walking around the Trafford centre with his bag so that everyone could see his dragon. It also came in handy to put the dragon I fully to escape the rain on the way out.

I would recommend build a bear definatly my two sons had a lovely time and I know they will treasure the dragon and the bear. I think as an extra special treat it would be a fabulous idea.

I went into this thinking that my son would not find many choices but he was thrilled with toothless. A lot of the choices were for girls but my son’s were still happy

everybodysang Tue 03-Apr-18 08:31:04

2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?
DD loves My Little Pony, Pokemon, Paw Patrol, unicorns and just cuddly toys in general, so it was a difficult choice for her to make. The staff member who helped us in the Colchester store was fabulous - actually, there were two and they were both great - helping her make a shortlist and whittling it down until we eventually chose a Charmander Pokemon one. She called it Charly ("with a y because that's more special"). She went for a beating heart plus a strawberry scent - she's really excited by the scent and can't believe it will last two years. We also added the Charmander voice in the paw. Initially she wanted pyjamas but it was tricky to find ones that fit and then she decided she actually didn't want it to have clothes, because Charmander doesn't wear any in 'real life'. Instead she chose a skateboard and helmet (!) for him and then I let her buy the bed/chair for him too, which she adores and has tucked into her own bed every night since we got it and gone to sleep with it beside her, sharing her duvet.
Yes I would and I am surprised to find myself saying that. It's eye wateringly expensive but we were in the store for an hour and they really made it a very special experience for her. I expected it to be a bit more cynical but they were careful with the upselling to make sure it was ok with me first and they were kind and patient with her. She loved it so much that I would recommend it - for a special occasion!
We both really liked it - DD loved stuffing the bear, brushing its hair, choosing the accessories. I think her favourite part was making the birth certificate. The highlights for me were just how nice the staff were - they were young women and just really great. If you're going to spending such a lot of money on a cuddly toy you do want it to feel special... and it did.

buildapony Tue 03-Apr-18 09:40:32

Will add in another post, it's not letting me add them at the moment!

My little girl is obsessed with My Little Pony, so we are now the proud owners of a Starlight Glimmer pony! I'll admit, I did try to steer her towards a bear, purely so she'd be able to buy more clothing etc for it, but she was determined to get a pony (and was then a bit annoyed when she couldn't choose from all the dresses etc for it...)

Hmm. Maybe? We had fun, and she's thrilled with her new pony, but in all we spent £56 on a cuddly toy, a skirt, a cape, some shoes and a hairbrush. It's a lot of money, and I am not entirely sure it was worth it!

The store was empty, and we were greeted, and everyone was lovely, and my daughter had a lovely time. She loved being able to fill her pony herself, and enjoyed putting the heart in.

I was a bit annoyed that the assistant asked her directly if she wanted the MLP theme tune sound thing - it's really quiet, and hard to use, and I would have preferred not to have the sound chip in there and spend the £5 on something else. I didn't know we could get a birth certificate either, it was never mentioned, and that would have been a nice thing to have.

ProseccoandPizza Tue 03-Apr-18 11:50:39

We visited Build-A-Bear Cardiff store on Saturday. The staff were super helpful and would definitely recommend to others. Ds7 was over the moon with the experience apparently it was the best day ever. He’s planning on going back to make his bear a friend soon. His bear is named Sam and is in the Army complete with full camo, dog tags, little converse style trainers and camo boxer shorts. He chose a Dinosaur roar and a mixed berry smell. He is permanently attached to Sam who even came to LEGOLAND with us yesterday.

ThePurpleGirl Tue 03-Apr-18 12:42:56

DD chose a unicorn with a rainbow mane. She then dressed her in a rainbow design tshirt and tutu, one pair of rainbow shoes and a pair of purple glittery shoes, with pink sparkly roller skate attachments, and a glittery silver lead. There was clearly only one name this unicorn could have... Rainbow! She also had a Purple Heart, a berry scent, and sings “Get Back Up Again” from Trolls. She loves all things Unicorn, and also bright colours, so having had a sneak look on the website before we went I had already guessed this would be what she chose. She loves Trolls and particularly bouncing around to the upbeat songs, so that drove her choice of sound. I think the scent choice was primarily about what colour it was (purple). The outfit was inspired by the outfit on the pre-made unicorn in the entrance of the shop. I think the only thing she changed was the colour of the shoes.

Yes, but only for VERY special occasions as it was extremely expensive. I naively had thought the £50 voucher would be enough to do a bear for DD and maybe one for DS too, but by the time we’d been upsold all the sounds, scents, clothes etc. we had spent £65!!! I’ve never spent so much on a soft toy before.

We really loved the experience overall. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and good at interacting with children. They made quite an event of the whole process - for instance, instead of just putting the heart in, DD had to kiss it to give it love, rub it on both cheeks to give it some of her cheekiness, then she had to jump up and down with it, spin round and make a wish to put the magic in.

We had a couple of issues that the staff helped with, for instance the first sound chip wouldn’t take the sound, it just kept saying there was an error, and the first terminal we used to do the birth certificate wouldn’t register the unicorn. One thing I would suggest is that the sound chip terminal was too high for small children to reach and a small stool might be a good idea.

The one negative was that it didn’t sit quite right with me that the staff always asked the child if they wanted a scent or a beating heart or a sound effect, all of which cost extra money. I think it put the adult under pressure to allow their child to have all the extras, as once the child has been offered it, it would be awkward to step in and say they can’t have it due to the cost. It would sour the experience somewhat. It’s all those extras that rack up the costs though - the actual unicorn was less than £20 and the total cost was £65. It didn’t help that because the one in the shop entrance had roller skates on, DD was desperate for hers to be the same. As the unicorn has four feet that was two pairs of skates. The skates attach to the bottom of the shoes rather than being standalone items, so we also needed two pairs of shoes. That meant the footwear alone was £20! I’ve bought shoes for DD for less than that!

ThePurpleGirl Tue 03-Apr-18 12:50:46

Some more photos

lollylaus Tue 03-Apr-18 13:41:41

Testers, please share your photos and answer the following questions on the thread below:

My daughter named her bear twinkle because it has multi coloured stars on it. She was so excited when I told her we were going to build a bear but didn't know what kind of bear she wanted until we got there. She chose twinkle because she loved the colours. We then chose a poppy troll voice (she loves poppy!) and a beating heart too. She chose a strawberry scent because she loves strawberries. Luckily the voucher also enabled her to buy some clothes. She knew she wanted a bear with a skirt so got a rainbow tutu and also a t-shirt and some shoes.
We loved our visit to build a bear, my daughter was full of excitement beforehand and then she loved the whole selection process. The staff at build a bear (Bridgend) made the whole experience lovely and she really enjoyed bringing her bear to life. I think my daughters age (4) is perfect for the build a bear experience. It was really magical for her and perfect for a special treat on a birthday or for Christmas.
As I said the staff were lovely and very accommodating to both my 4 year old and her baby sister (who was having a tantrum at the time!). I think the highlight for my daughter was picking the bear's clothes. She could have picked lots out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: