Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MNers and their DC’s got up to at the Build-A-Bear Workshop! NOW CLOSED!

(179 Posts)
AaronMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Mar-18 15:20:13

We were asked by Build-A-Bear Workshop to find 150 Mumsnetters to visit the stores closest to their homes in order to trial their bear-building service. Read on to see what they thought of the in-store experience.

Here’s what Build-A-Bear have to say: “CeleBEARate Easter with Build-A-Bear! From birthdays and holidays to good behaviour or an A+ at school, there are so many moments to #celeBEARate with a new furry friend from Build-A-Bear Workshop! Help us #celeBEARate Easter this year.

As we approach the Easter holiday and half term break, parents are always looking for fun, unique and personalized activities and traditions for the family. Bring your kids to Build-A-Bear Workshop to share a fun, heart-filled experience. Document your experience in photos and let us know about your experience with your kids and what made it memorable and meaningful.”

Testers, please share your photos and answer the following questions on the thread below:

1. Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.
2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?
4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?

Everyone that shares their feedback and fills in a short survey as required will be entered into a prize draw where one tester will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

joleyn Thu 29-Mar-18 15:45:16

We visited Norwich build-a-bear with our 5 year old ds today. This is the first time we have visited build-a-bear.
He picked a dog teddy and a superman outfit to go with it as he loves superheroes. He also barks, has a beating heart, red wellies and an avengers sleeping bag for at night! His name is super teddy as he is a teddy and a superman. The staff were really helpful and helped him decide what teddies/accessories would go with the things he liked, particularly the boots and sleeping bag which are great fun.
We would definitely recommend build-a-bear. We had not been before but loved the process and the end result. I was also impressed with the variety of bears and outfits and that you would be able to make a bear for a reasonable price.
My ds totally loved the experience, lots of 1-2-1 attention and he particularly loved the stuffing of the bear and getting his bears birth certificate.
He has not been let go of all day and is offiled to take pride of place on ds's bed tonight!

rachaelsit Thu 29-Mar-18 17:39:06

2. My 4 year old DS chose a regular bear (after a LONG time deciding) after we told him he could choose from all the clothes afterwards. He put a heart beat in him and chose paw patrol sounds! He named him Moonie because it was dark outside when we visited (7pm). He chose PJs and slipper after a lot of deliberation. He chose a hair dryer, boots and a suitcase too, although we are giving him those two accessories over Easter as a surprise.

3. We would recommend it because it allows children to make choices and express preference and then keep something they have made.

4. He loved it but it was overwhelming on the decision making front! That’s just how he is and possibly his age. The staff were excellent with kids.

This is a product I would never have considered before but we had a lovely time doing it as a reward for filling his reward chart up over the previous weeks.

Thanks

SillyMoomin Thu 29-Mar-18 18:07:24

1. Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.

2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?

My DC chose the name Jigger, as when they were little they couldn’t pronounce the T in Tigger and so have always called their new bears Jigger ever since!
He’s a soft plush with glass eyes bear, with a sound in his paw stating that he belongs to “mini Moomin” and a beating heart inside. The beating heart was deliberated over for a LONG time!, they couldn’t decide if they wanted the sparkly silver one too, but in the end, the fact the bear was now “real” was a winning factor!
DC didn’t want to put clothes on their bear as but they wanted a hat so we bought a few of those to help accessorise grin

3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?

Absolutely. I have to admit, I was dreading it slightly- I always had in my head a scruffy shop of screaming children! —mine included—
But the store was bright, light and the whole experience was incredibly fun

4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?

I was so impressed by the number of staff available. Any time we had a question about stuffing or sounds (especially how to record and change the play button - for some reason I couldn’t understand it!) they were so patient.
The DC loved the fact they got to operate the stuffing machine themselves!!, and the birth certicate at the end showing the day our bear was born was the icing on the cake.
I think as a one off special treat, it would be a great thing to do- expensive yes, but worth it as a special present.

Feel all warm and fuzzy like the just piped stuffing! grin

BloodyWorried Thu 29-Mar-18 18:15:02

We like making memories and not spending the whole time getting a perfect photo - but attached Marvin.

Marvin is a magnificent monkey (very Marvel but all DS’s toys are named based on alliteration). Marvin was hard for him to pick because he loved all of the bears, he wanted a black dog really but loves monkeys and our store had no black dogs so monkey it was. Marvin has a heart beat sound, he wanted a song but the machine played them so loudly I was concerned that it would be the same in the bear. I liked that he got to help stuff the teddy and how firm he wanted it to be, the lady was really accommodating at this point and had a good chat about everything (as 4yo do). Marvin also has a special heart which the lady in the shop told him to hold the heart tight, squeeze it, make a wish and blow on it before popping it inside which was a nice touch. Deciding what he should wear was a tough choice, in the shop we used the “changing room” to try on lots of outfits to see what suited him the best. In the end my DS picked a skateboard and we picked the clothes from that. Marvin has since became a naked monkey, DS says this is because you can’t wear jeans and a t shirt in bed.

Yes. It felt like a wonderfully magical experience, getting to pick and choose to make a really personal teddy that you name and get a certificate for. Staff were attentive but it was quite expensive. The sign up to the club was easy in store but I haven’t managed to verify via email because the instructions are quite hard to follow (must try when DC are in bed).

We all really enjoyed the experience. As above the filling station was such a nice touch. From start to finish it is an experience not just getting a teddy that comes as is from a shop. But I wouldn’t normally opt to spent £46 on a teddy with a tshirt, jeans and skateboard.

liane77 Thu 29-Mar-18 18:31:23

My little boy picked a Star Wars bear because even without clothes he looks unique. Because of his theme he became called Starry Bear. It was a long process making decisions but we went with the Star Wars theme tune and a vanilla cupcake scent.

I also purchased a Spider-Man outfit but this will be for another occasion.

It was a lovely experience and I would definitely recommend it if you can manage a 1to1 experience with your child. I think it may be a little awkward and stressful if other siblings were in tow. The staff are very patient and brilliant with indecisive children offering help, suggestions and good advice.

I think the freedom of choice was definitely a highlight for my boy. His face was a light with all the possibilities. It was a little overwhelming at first but he loves his bear and it sits proudly next to his Spider-Man bear (that was second hand).

Miaow1234 Thu 29-Mar-18 18:47:03

2. We went to the meadowhall store. My daughter has been watching Honey Gs and so wanted a Honey G teddy. She picked the purple cat and called her Violet.
3. Yes as its a lovely bonding experiance for family to spend time with children.
4. She enjoyed picking things with the help of grandma. There was alot of choice and unisex choice which is important. She enjoyed doing the special heart dance and wish before it goes into the bear.

shaunying Thu 29-Mar-18 20:19:13

We visited the Solihull build a bear workshop.

Our son chose The Beast from Beauty and the Beast as it's currently his favourite film.

Yes, it's a warm and friendly store, the staff are very friendly and helped our son to choose his bear and helped to dress him.

We enjoyed it. Staff were great. Would definitely consider visiting again.

tworonnies1957 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:32:42

Right I got hold my hands up and say I have really messed up , I enter my be 20 or 30 competitions each week across the internet and being the nerd I am I never remember what I was hoping to win or who the competition was from, so when got a email from build a bear saying I had got a £50.00 e voucher I was really happy, there was no information on the email of who I won the voucher from but that didn't stop me had the choice to go online and order the bears or go in store so I picked the easy pain free option no dragging the kids around town no parking charges and there were going be a surprise for kids for Easter along with Easter eggs, so away I go and place the order only to find out 2 days later via a Mumsnet email that me and kids should of been product testing them in store but to late to cancel the order as had already had a email from build a bear saying the goods had been despatched , so really sorry to everyone got egg on face this time that's for sure.

Signoritawhocansway Thu 29-Mar-18 20:37:31

This bear is called 'Happy Pete'. My DS does have trouble choosing things, including names, so it was called Happy, then he read Pete on the screen so hence the name! The selection process included day clothes and pyjamas, plus glasses to make the bear look clever. He was quite taken with the hairdryer too, but we were running out of budget!

I would, as long as I knew they would be able to afford it. It's ridiculously expensive for even the cheapest bear with the cheapest clothes. It's a lovely experience though, my DS is still thrilled with his bear and talking about making him, so a big thank you to Mumsnet and BAB for the very generous opportunity to have the experience.

Also, I do think it's more likely to appeal to girls than boys.

Our in-store experience was great. Great enthusiastic customer service with not too much pressure to oversell. He loved putting the heart in and the stuffing machine - he's very mechanically minded! We went to Solihull store on a Thursday morning - I imagine I might not enjoy it so much if it was busy!!!

LouiseHumphreys81 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:58:32

My DC picked the pink bear and then a blue jumper and tutu skirt. The bear is called Teddy the Bear and has been having lots of cuddles today. He picked this bear because he decided we already had lots of boy bears so we need a girl bear now. He loved putting the heart in, and helping with the stuffing.

Yes, the staff were lovely and friendly and the fact that DC did most of the work picking and making the bear made it truly his. He loved the whole process and is very pleased with his bear.

Overall he loved it. He loved the process of picking which bear to have, and he really enjoyed the magic around stuffing the bear and putting the heart in. He had free reign to pick whatever he wanted and he did enjoy choosing clothes. In fact picking the clothes took longer than picking the actual bear.

My only negative comment is that the staff forgot to put the birth certificate in the bag. We made one and it printed behind the till but when we got home it hadn't been put in the bag. Not the end of the world and my LB wasn't bothered but it was a bit of a shame to not have it.

Overall we were very pleased with the whole experience. The shop was well designed and bright, the staff were friendly and
enthusiastic and really engaged my LB in the whole process. I would definitely recommend the workshop and go again.

nuttybird88 Thu 29-Mar-18 21:09:24

My 7yo daughter chose 2 teddies and decided they could share an outfit shoes and skates. Her first choice was a sweet smelling cat. We have 4 so kitties are always a winner with her! This one is called Candy kitty it also sings songs from trolls. The second one she chose was a bunny as it's coming up to easter, (she doesn't really like chocolate so a teddy was a much better treat) it's name is Rainbow bunny.

I would recommend build a bear to people it was our first time at build a bear and it was lovely! The staff were friendly and helpful without being in our faces or overbearing. It is quite expensive but as a special treat I'd happily take my daughter back.
We went to the Brighton B.A.B and my daughter loved it! The staff were lovely there was a good selection and it was all very easy to navigate and find the clothes etc. We didn't have to wait at all and everyone was really nice. We were told they are filled with magic which my daughter loved!

MESSING2 Thu 29-Mar-18 22:36:56

My 6yo DD chose Rainbow the unicorn. The name is fairly self-explanatory smile
She is obsessed with both rainbows and unicorns, so didn't take long to select this bear. She chose a matching Rainbow skirt and shoes plus a hairband.

We had the option of recording our own voice message, but DD wanted the standard 'I love you' message. She also chose a beating heart.

DD loved the process of personalising the bear, particularly choosing the clothes and shoes. She could easily have spent far longer choosing an entire wardrobe of clothes, but I had to reign her in and remind her that we could buy more items at a later time.

The quality of the toy and clothes is good, and the option of adding a heartbeat/spoken message is a nice touch.

The Build A Bear experience was really enjoyable and I would recommend it to others. Choosing options at each stage was straightforward and being involved in it all made the bear extra-special to DD.

I will say, however, that it's very easy to spend more than you perhaps intended with all the add-on items, particularly when you have an overexcited small person in tow.

We will be back for more outfits...DD has already decided what new clothes she'd like for Rainbow for her next birthday.

Coconutcreampie Fri 30-Mar-18 09:38:28

Our children chose a pokemon bear each. An Eevee that was renamed cupcake due to the cupcake scent they added, and a Meowth called Lovely Teddy. Meowth has the standard Meowth sound implant. Unfortunately there was an issue with the Eevee sounds but the assistant was very apologetic and advised we could pop in another day and they would resolve this for us.
They chose a chair that turns into a bed as an accessory, 2 outfits and a brush. In addition to the voucher we added an extra £13 of our own money which is think considering how much we came away with is excellent value.

I would recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop as it's a very unique experience and was very enjoyable
The best part of the experience was how involved the kids were able to get. They were able to really personalise the bear and the whole thing was led mainly by them. The assistant treated the child as the main customer, speaking to them for the majority of the time, asking their opinion and really making the children feel in control.

Cd89 Fri 30-Mar-18 11:22:59

Meet Chewy and Rey 😊
Chewy for Chewbacca and Rey for Rey!

Ernest is currently getting a bit ahead of himself with his Starwars interest (i.e. we know all the names but haven’t watched it and don’t really know who’s good, who’s bad or why) But, he knows Chewbacca!
The reason for two bears is because there was an offer on where if you bought Rey for £28, you could get any other Starwars bear for £5. We decided that the Starwars bears were a good option as they required minimum accessories as they were already dressing in character clothing.
Both bears got their accessories though, a lightsaber (which lights up and makes sounds) and a crossbow (which makes sounds).

Both bears also have their own sounds in, 5 in 1 sayings for each character. It was between this and Starwars music....I can’t handle Starwars music on a loop so we opted for the sayings. Although Chewys is more a series of interesting sounds!

We got birth certificates for each, and Ernest decided he wasn’t ready for the level of responsibility that comes with caring for two bears so gave one to his 11mo brother, so officially they have one each, but they conveniently both live in Ernest’s room.

I would recommend as a extra special treat, as normally I wouldn’t justify the amount of money on teddies. We put a little bit of money towards ours and it came to £66 in total. Obviously it helped that ours already wore costumes so cut the clothing and accessories options but if E had had free reign the cost would’ve increased significantly.

The experience was great, and Ernest loved seeing the different stages of his bear coming to life, and being involved throughout.

The store experience was much better than I had anticipated. It was extremely busy, (our own fault for going on a Saturday afternoon), but despite this, the staff were extremely attentive to each child, taking time to really talk to them, and listen. The quality was not compromised despite the queues, and each child was given one on one attention. Ernest helped fill his bear, and Zoe went through a ritual to make the bears hearts magical which Ernest loved. I thought the customer service and the interaction with the children was a real selling point for me. I liked that they spoke to the children directly.

Thanks for the experience Mumsnet and BABW!

Intotheclouds Fri 30-Mar-18 13:01:49

1.Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.
2.Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?

Both my sons love star wars so seeing the star wars bears it was a quick choice. And with the offer on the star wars teddies we managed to get both our sons a teddy. The one is called Ray after the character the teddy is after Rey, and the other is stormzy after both the stormtrooper and storm-z.

3.Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?
Yes as it's good quality and good experience for the kids but it quite expensive.

4.How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?
The children loved picking their teddies and accessories. They had fun filling the teddies and my youngest loved the heart ceremony. I didn't like the fact that the staff were constantly trying to sell us something us else. And even when we said 'no thank you' they kept asking. Even at the till as I was trying to pay, they asked me a total of 6 times if I wanted to buy a gift card even though I had said no the first time they asked.

Kidssendingmenuts Fri 30-Mar-18 13:22:56

Photos taken in the white rose store in Leeds.

There is a high selection of bears to choose from such as cartoon characters, unicorns, bears and bunnies. Thomas chose the chase from law patrol after a 20 mins decision on whether to get that or toothless. He has gone with the name chase as he didn't want to chose another name for him ha ha. Isabelle chose a unicorn because she is unicorn and glitter mad! So that was a no brainier.

Both went for the strawberry smell too and the sounds for each bear.

We also got a sparkly skirt for the unicorn along with a tiara and a wand and chases outfit for Thomas's bear.

It was great when they got to press the pedal to fill there own bear too really exciting!

Definitely!! We have never been before and if it wasn't for the voucher we probably wouldn't of. I split it between both of my kids so it was fair and it really is fun. They both highly enjoyed it (though I was happy to get out of there with all the crazy kids running about 😂😂)

Loved it. I was as a bit scared going in as I hadn't a clue what to do but an assistant helped me and she was fab explaining what we can get for it and what it includes.

Best bit was pressing the button to fill the bear! The loved it!

Uzma01 Fri 30-Mar-18 13:35:00

My daughter loved the whole process as it was a chance for me to spend some quality time with her and she got an amazing keepsake at the end of it.

She choose to call it Becky due to the alliteration! She got a couple of tops, pair of jeans, sparkly shoes, sunglasses and a headband. Plus a rucksack to put it in. She chose stuff she liked the look of. She got a beating heart put in and 2 sets of sounds - including the manically laughing minions!

It was a great experience and I would recommend it as a one off, as I can imagine it’d get quite expensive.

Stuffing the bear and ‘activating’ the fabric heart was fun - the staff member was really engaging and got my daughter to do lots of silly things and then put the heart into the bear. She enjoyed getting the birth certificate typed up. I think the fact that I let her choose a lot of accessories (within reason!) so she could have a range of play things helped. I told her she could give her a toothbrush from home and use one of the small floral suitcases for her bear - so that added to the fun. The staff member on the till did her best to upsell, for the most part I declined. But I did get 2 £10 giftcards at half price as I thought I could treat my daughter again when it’s her birthday. Overall, both of us really enjoyed it and my daughter was in control of what she wanted.

SnotGoblin Fri 30-Mar-18 15:00:57

My little girl's bear is Olivia Belle because she's currently obsessed with the name Olivia (taking over from Lilly) and Belle because... Disney. My boy's name is 'Big Girl' I have no idea why. I was plumping for Mr Rainbow or simply Rainbow.

I would recommend Build-A-Bear which surprises me because I expected to feel differently. It was a mine field of upselling and extras adding but overall the experience was okay and I was able to set limits my children could cope with/understand.

My kids enjoyed the process but were completely overwhelmed about choosing a bear and didn't fully understand the 'build your own' aspect of it as my girl kept trying to pick the already completed display models.

I thought the 'give your bear a bath' stand after making it was a really nice touch.

keeperofthetrolls Fri 30-Mar-18 16:10:59

Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?

DDs bear is Queen Elsa. She is the Frozen inspired bear. It says Elsa on her foot, so she wouldn't call her anything else. I was rather surprised she picked Frozen over My Little Pony. She chose the blonde hair (which is in the bag), Elsa dress, Glass slippers and Frozen knickers (apparently she needs pants on). DD chose a strawberry scent and Let It Go sound button.

There were a few different coloured Frozen inspired bears but she chose the blue as it was 'icy, twinkly and sparkly' as it has silver through the plush. I thought she would choose pink. Then she spotted the name on her foot and it was decided.

Yes i would, but only as a very special occasion as its very expensive. I found it to be a very magical experience. The fact you choose everything from the animal, fur colour to shoes and pants. The bears are individually made and personal to the child.

We were welcomed warmly when we arrived at the store. We were told the building progress and the offers. DD loved helping work the machine. She was fascinated watching it 'inflate'. She loved to attention from the staff and being involved. We weren't pressured in to buying accessories.

We did have to wait a while to stuff our bear as the couple in front had two children and there was a fault with one of the bears. But DH took her to choose an outfit whilst i waited and another member of staff came on the shop floor and attended to us.

All staff were very friendly.

DD has been playing with her bear and singing along since we got home. DD says she LOVES it!!

Kidssendingmenuts Fri 30-Mar-18 16:25:19

@AaronMumsnet please could you send me the link to the survey please? I can't seem to find it, I've used the voucher etc but can't find the survey to take anywhere x

SaltySeaBird Fri 30-Mar-18 16:32:23

Oh so disappointed not to get into this one as my DD has been wanting to go in the store forever but I can’t justify that amount on a soft toy plus accessories! Reading the experiences it does sound expensive!

Boooom Fri 30-Mar-18 16:43:38

2.Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?

My DD chose the name Storm I have no idea why and she won't tell me. We chose not to get a voice thing mainly because I convinced it would be annoying full as I find any talking things really annoying! We also didn't do the smelly thing as I hate air fresheners and that sort of thing if I think they will probably will give us cancer (cheerful!). She got lots of clothes and really enjoyed choosing them and love picking the rabbit.
3.Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?

If they could afford it absolutely. The toys are of a really good quality and there was lots of choice. It was very busy (bank holiday) but the staff were very kind and had lots of time for us. I was surprised at how much we both enjoyed it.
4.How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?
I did find the store very busy and extremely noisy. I could barely hear near the stuffing machine and did have worries about the staff gettig ear damage (I work with deaf people and a few as a result of industrial work). The highlights were the incredibly friendly and helpful staff who really did go above and beyond to make the experience really special.

PerfectlyAdequateFamilyCook Fri 30-Mar-18 17:18:13

We went to the Bluewater store, and the staff were very attentive - made sure we were seen to, greeted all dc and gave stickers etc, and then left ds space to choose his bear.

Ds chose a tiger. He then spent a loooong time going up and down the bear wall, thinking it over, but eventually came back to his original choice. He called it SuperTiger, and he has a Superman 5 (or 6?)-1 sound thingy in his paw. Ds is very impressed with this. Ds is all about Superheros at the moment, and was adamant he would be choosing a Superman costume for his tiger. He actually then chose a Justice League outfit. He spent a long time choosing accessories, and picked a Cars sleeping bag - he originally wanted the chair bed, because apparently that would be great when we went camping, as it turns from a chair to a bed (NB, ds has never been on a camping holiday 😀, so no idea where he got that idea from!) he then chose a sleeping bag, as that would be easier to pack than the chair/bed. SuperTiger has a silver heart - ds went straight for this one, with no wavering, and no scent (yippee!).

I would. There is a lot of choice, and no girl/boy divide in the bears or costumes. I like that eg an Elsa bear could be dressed as a firefighter, or a Star Wars bear could have a sparkly top, whatever the child wants. And there is a wide range of bears and accessories. Ds liked (and is angling for!) the wheelchair, and I liked that this was available too. I also liked that there are extra sets to extend play value - vet sets, or picnic sets, etc, not just clothes.

Ds enjoyed it. He has been wanting to go to build a bear for ages. He has ASD, and so found the actual making experience a bit full on - I don’t think he was expecting so many questions/things to do (make a wish etc), and just wanted to get it finished so he knew for certain the bear was his 😀. The lady helping us was lovely, but I would add that maybe the patter could be varied a bit of the child is looking overwhelmed. Not every child likes being the centre of attention, and not every child wants a drawn out process. Ds did still enjoy his visit, but maybe food for thought (while we were waiting to pay, there was a birthday child who got stood up on a podium, a loud bell rung, and she was introduced to the store and had everyone sing happy birthday to her. She honestly looked uncomfortable, and like she didn’t want everyone looking. My dd (age 11) commented that she would have hated that to happen to her (she always wanted a build a bear party, but never had one) but also said that didn’t happen when her best friend had a party a few years back, so maybe it’s a choice thing and todays little girl did want to do it).

I think ds enjoyed the clothes/accessories more than choosing the bear, and the best bit for him is definitely the sound chip, with the sleeping bag a close second. Ds does like his toys to be comfy and cosy 😀

LemonScentedStickyBat Fri 30-Mar-18 18:14:17

Here is Vulpix!

Dd loves Pokémon and knew it might be possible to get a Pokémon bear - we didn’t look online first as wanted to avoid disappointment, and I thought it might be fun to prolong the experience of walking around and choosing a bear... but she spotted Vulpix in the first second and that was it. We still had a little walk around but she wouldn’t consider anything else. I was impressed with the ranges available.

The staff at the White Rose Centre in Leeds were very sweet with DD & she enjoyed the process of choosing accessories very much. She was adamant that there would be no scents or noises included since she was going to be cuddling up in bed with Vulpix every night & she didn’t want to be kept awake - this from a child who uses every excuse in the book to stay up as late as possible but that’s by the by.

DD absolutely loved helping stuff the bear, making a wish etc and as an adult I can definitely see the appeal- I would have loved this experience as a child.

We were new to this & didn’t realise that you could make a birth certificate for the bear until we went to the till - the assistant there sorted that out but it was all a bit rushed.

I would certainly recommend the experience to friends and family, but would tell them to explain that they are first timers & ask a member of staff to talk them through the process first. We weren’t always sure where to go next, what to do etc. & it’s not clear from the store layout.

Overall DD had a lovely time and wants to spend her pocket money on more accessories.

NewNameADayKeepsSpiesAway Fri 30-Mar-18 18:32:32

DS is massively into transformers and chose the Optimus Prime outfit first, then the bear which he thought would look best in the suit. This was one of the cheapest bears which worked out well because we wanted to let his big sister get one too even though at 9 she was over the age of testers you were looking for. She chose a rainbow coloured bear that she named Lavender. Optimus also had the transformers sound and a cupcake scent while Lavender had a candy floss scent. We got all of this for £49 and as DD also wanted an outfit for her bear she added £9 of her birthday money to get a top and shorts.

Absolutely. The whole thing took us over 45 minutes and that was without having to wait in a queue, you could easily be an hour or so. So it was very much an experience rather than just buying a toy. Even the boxes the bears come in are brilliant and the DC will have fun colouring them so the experience keeps on once you’re home.

It was so much more fun than I expected - we go in for a look quite often but I’d never paid attention to what happens when you actually buy - I usually keep the kids away from the making section & staff because I feel bad that we won’t be spending money. But there’s so much more to it that just choosing. The staff were all brilliant, we were assisted by 4 and they were so great with the kids. Making the sound chip was really fun, but the best bit was when the stuffing machine needed a refill and the lady asked the kids to help, they LOVED it! Also all the fun things they did with the hearts and making wishes. Really made the bears feel like they were being brought to life. Overall DH and I honestly enjoyed ourselves almost as much as the kids, the enjoyment on their faces was lovely to watch and Lauren who is in the picture was a super star employee at BAB.

Thanks so much for letting us take part from a very happy family bear

PseudoBadger Fri 30-Mar-18 19:11:52

We went to the Fenwick concession in Brent Cross.

This is Pinky Bear - not sure why? grin DD (4 1/2) chose her which surprised me as I was expecting her to choose a unicorn or a Sky. As she was a ‘cheaper’ bear we had plenty left for accessories. DD chose bubblegum scent, a beating heart and a my little pony song. She also got 2 outfits, glasses and shoes. I paid £5 extra after the gift card which I was happy with, for a special treat.

Yes, although obviously it’s expensive. I like the freedom that the child gets to choose exactly what they want (within reason!)

We liked it, there were only 2 staff working on Good Friday lunchtime so it did get a bit busy at one stage. DD liked the process of making the bear and following the instructions. She loves the scent! She walked around all day telling strangers “this is my first build a bear” grin

Thank you so much for the opportunity to treat my child!

Whyisitsodifficult Fri 30-Mar-18 21:03:17

Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.

My Dd has named her bear Gracie-Belle, she then decided it was going to be a Frozen bear, then a princess bear, then a bride bear then finally settled on a ballet bear!! She does ballet herself.

I'd recommend it as my Dd did absolutely love the whole experience but I would point out how expensive all the extras can add up to.

4. How did you aand your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?

My Dd has often walked past the shop and wanted to go in which I've avoided so far as one she has loads of soft toys and two I thought it was expensive. I found the overall experience to be positive as my daughter loved it. I also found it to be quite confusing, there didn't seem to be any guidance. We didn't know about the scents or sounds until we'd picked our bear and was waiting for it to be stuffed so it was a bit late at that point. I think it would've been helpful to have a step by step guide at the entrance. Staff are very child friendly and helpful though. Highlight for me was seeing how happy it made my daughter.

Upyours2017 Fri 30-Mar-18 21:11:43

Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.
2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories? My daughter chose the name Dewdrop, I'm honestly not sure why! She absolutely adores dogs and she honed in on this toy, looked at none of the others! She really wanted a sparkling outfit for the dog but unfortunately the clothes choice for anything other than the bears were limited, which was a shame. She loved the skates though, they were a must!
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why? I would totally recommend it. We had never been before and it was a magical experience for my dd. The atmosphere was happy and friendly, and lots for the children to get involved with, so much more fun than picking a boxed toy off a shelf.
4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights? We loved it, was a lot of fun (apart from paying, as we went a bit over the £50 spends..), the staff were wonderful and so helpful, and really treated my daughter as their customer, which she loved. She was delighted to be able to pick everything to make her toy unique. Thank you so much for the opportunity MN!

1moreRep Fri 30-Mar-18 21:17:22

my daughters bear is called caramel- after her scent, she chose a dog as she is obsessed with them. we got the heart beat and the dress and a bag which was a great idea.
i would recvommend build a bear to friends and family. a great gift for family to buy a child if the age and a great experience

we had an amazing visit. the staff were really friendly and worked within our budget and really made my daughter feel like a princes

1moreRep Fri 30-Mar-18 21:22:51

my daughters bear is called caramel- after her scent, she chose a dog as she is obsessed with them. we got the heart beat and the dress and a bag which was a great idea.
i would recvommend build a bear to friends and family. a great gift for family to buy a child if the age and a great experience

we had an amazing visit. the staff were really friendly and worked within our budget and really made my daughter feel like a princes

1moreRep Fri 30-Mar-18 21:26:23

pic from the visit

SeaWitchly Fri 30-Mar-18 21:35:59

We went to the Build-A-Bear store in Bluewater, Kent.

Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories?

Both my sons are really into Star Wars [the films, tv shows, lego sets and figurines] and were delighted to see the Star Wars inspired bears and accessories.
My 7 year old DS chose the Kylo Ren bear and decided to name him 'Kylo Ren'... He chose the lightsaber accessory to go with his bear because it lights up and he could engage the bear in lightsaber battles!
DS wanted his 8 year old big brother to share in the Build-A-Bear experience with him. Brother chose the Captain Phasma bear with blaster accessory.. He named his new friend 'Eddie' just because he liked that name! Big brother chose Captain Phasma because he liked the bear's colour and cape and 'cool details' on his outfit. He chose the blaster as it was the accessory that matched the character and made cool shooting noises!

As a parent I liked that both these bears came with their own outfit so there was no need to purchase these extra.

Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?

My boys both said they would recommend Build-A-Bear to friends and family as they found it fun and enjoyed choosing their own bear and accessories.
From a parent's perspective I would say that the staff were smiley and helpful but the shop was hellish on the bank holiday Friday... very crowded and noisy with long queues for the till. I also thought that £28 per bear was a bit expensive and to be honest would not have purchased them at this price nor £8 per accessory without the benefit of the £50 voucher. I paid £20 extra overall on top of the value of the voucher.

How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?

Both boys really enjoyed their in-store experience. Highlights were choosing the bears and accessories, stuffing the bear, the heart song.
As a parent, again I found the experience to be mainly noisy and crowded... that said I did enjoy seeing the boys excitement around choosing their bears and accessories, naming their bears, stuffing them and doing the heart song bit. Both my boys were really engaged by the experience and found it fun and stimulating.

Ivytheterrible Fri 30-Mar-18 21:53:02

I have 3 daughters so they each picked a toy. They called them Hops/Flopsy/Jazzy. Flopsy was named she is a bunny but the others were quite random. They all wanted the multi coloured rainbow type! They enjoyed filling them up and putting in the hearts. The most time by them was spent deciding on accessories and clothing. They had no interest in sounds/scents but just wanted clothes.
My eldest insisted she wanted roller skates even before we went in - we have never been before so she must have seen these somewhere! My middle child liked looking at the ones all ready dressed on display and used these to decide what outfit she wanted for her bear.

Yes I think I would recommend it but I would be weary of the cost. We spent £96 in total so a very very expensive 1 hour ish of entertainment! (Funded by Xmas gift cards the girls had and the mn voucher)

I’m looking forward to going back and letting them pick out say a new outfit or similar.

My eldest said it was “amazing” and even at bedtime said “we’re so lucky mummy”. The 3 of them loved it.
Personally I found the store experience a bit chaotic and confusing. I asked quite a few questions and made it clear it was our first visit but didn’t get helped around or anything. I didn’t really “get” the route through the store with the stages. Having 3 kids didn’t help as they were going all over and picking up lots of stuff. It was quite hard to manage this from a budgeting perspective. I would have liked the accessories etc to be grouped by cost or type rather than theme as I think this would have made it a lot easier.
Having said that, the staff were lovely and they really helped us at the checkout so the girls had roughly equal things and suggested alternative products so we didn’t overspend. We told them what the max spend we would do and they helped the girls stick to this.

My eldest clocked the birthday parties - there was one on at the time! Knowing how hard it was managing 3 kids in the shop I wouldn’t be keen on this!

Dinosaur1 Fri 30-Mar-18 22:12:09

Thank you for the voucher!
DC had a lovely morning making his bear. He made Bat Bear as he loves batman. His brother also made "Super Monkey" as we went the day after his birthday.
He chose a teddy and a batman outfit.
I would recommend Build a bear to a friend as a special treat as it is a unique experience choosing the bear and helping to make it.
DC liked looking at the outfits best.
All the members of staff were very friendly.

Harrywotsits Fri 30-Mar-18 22:23:20

Today we visited Build-a- bear at the Metro Centre. We have never been before and the boys were so excited to go! First you choose which teddy you would like. There's so much choice and a range of prices but eventually we settled on 'Promise Pets' at £19.50 each. There are lots of optional extras to add inside. There are sounds to choose from which again range in price and you can even add your own voice. We didn't add a scent but did opt for a heartbeat which you can feel! You then take your teddy over to the stuffing machine and the boys were able to press the pedal to operate it. Each teddy gets a heart sewn in and the children were involved in a lovely process including rubbing the heart on their arms so their teddy gives good hugs and making a wish. A really lovely touch is that the barcode from your teddy is also sewn inside, so if it ever gets lost they can scan it and send it back to you!
Once the toys were complete we were invited to give them an airbath and brush to fluff them up, and you then create their birth certificates. We decided on the name Green for the cat because he has green eyes and Zeus for the husky.
There were a lot of accessories available, and whilst there was no pressure from staff there was certainly some from the boys! I'm sure we'll be back to buy some.
We had a great experience and found staff very helpful without being pushy. I love that the toys are so personalised although I do feel that it is quite expensive. I have a feeling that these new pets will be firm favourites and are already tucked up in bed with sleeping, happy children.

MummyVaughan13 Fri 30-Mar-18 22:47:30

My daughter, age 4 and I visited our nearest store which was Basingstoke. Our local one has sadly shut down.

This is Pinkie Pie. She decided to keep the name as she said "that's what she's actually called mummy!". She is from the My Little Pony collection at Build-A-Bear. My little girl is going through the biggest MLP phase at the moment, so although she entered wanting a Skye Paw Patrol bear, as soon as she saw the Pinkie Pie one Skye bit the dust. DD was told she could choose a sound to go into the bear and she decided to add the song from the My Little Pony movie. She chose a rainbow tutu and magic light up fairy wand to accompany her new little friend

Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why?
I would absolutely recommend Build-A-Bear! There are not many places a child can go and make their own toy and be physically involved in each of the processes it takes to make a bear. I found the store to be very inclusive, there were no "boy/girl" sections just bears and accessories all mixed together. This meant the bear was personal to the child, there's no reason why Pinkie Pie couldn't be a fairy princess one day and Jedi knight the next. I also felt that any child could be made to feel special with the amount of thought that had gone into the accessories available, including glasses and even a wheelchair! I also found that the experience need not be expensive, there were cheaper bears there which were still brilliant quality.

How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights?
I cant count the times that I have been dragged into Build-A-Bear by my daughter and to finally say today that she was getting one absolutely made her day. She loved the whole experience. I found the staff there very happy and engaging. My little girl is quite shy and they managed to bring her out of her shell a bit and get her involved in each process. The queue for the stuffing was very long. DD loved being able to press the button to release the stuffing. The store assistant did do her best to involve her in putting the heart in asking her to hold it and put it here and there. I found this part very long and drawn out and with the queue growing ever longer felt that if this was cut down they would get through it a lot quicker. The accessories was very tidy and well organised. Felt there could have been a member of staff at the registering process as I had NO idea what I was doing and spent a few minutes looking for the birth certificate not knowing its printed behind the till. Paying was easy and we loved the box it came in, spending the evening colouring it in. Over all brilliant experience and my DD has had the time of her life.

bella2bella Sat 31-Mar-18 08:48:24

I took both my children along for them to choose one each but (predictably) they couldn't be persuaded to chose different ones so we have two rabbits!

One is called Jenny and the other Ray Ray for no particular reason. My 4 year old wanted to call it after herself but I encouraged her to chose another name. They had the sole attention of a staff member called Jessica (Bracknell store) who was lovely with them and showed my all the things they could have without being too pushy. We chose some sounds for each and they enjoyed listening to the options. They particularly liked getting the heart ready and Jessica had them jumping and doing all sorts before putting it in. They both chose an outfit but wanted a lot more and that is my only negative - the bears are reasonably priced for the experience involved but the clothing is expensive.

I would recommend it as a special treat and am considering it for a birthday party.

Bracknell store is a concession on Fenwicks next to the toy department so apart from losing them to those toys a few times it was a great experience. Jessica was very good with them.

Thank you mumsnet and Build-a-bear!

HuggleBear Sat 31-Mar-18 14:16:06

We visited the BAB outlet at york designer outlet.

DD chose a bunny which she has named 'Poppy' because 'i love the name Poppy' -fair enough! DS chose a dog toy who is called 'Terry' short for pterodactyl....... he is dinosaur mad! Both children chose the hide and seek sound boxes, strawberry scents and an extra sound box- friend box for 'Poppy' and puppy bark for 'Terry'. DD chose a dress, top and skirt combo and sequin shoes for 'Poppy' whilst DS picked a lead , collar and dog bowl for 'Terry'.
Definitely. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were with the kids and there was none of the hard selling I had imagined. The children had a great time making their own toys and have something personal. We took DD who is almost 5 to choose a bear along with DS who is 3. We fully expected to buy DS a bear aside from the voucher but actually only spent £10.10 in the end on top of the voucher. We did visit an outlet store so I expect this is why we got so much for the money. I'm not sure I would fancy paying full price too often though.
The kids had a great time, the staff were really great and involved them in all of the process. The little ritual before putting the heart in was a nice touch.

Thank you for this product test, it has come at the perfect time for DD, she really needed a little treat.

Patienceofatoddler Sat 31-Mar-18 14:20:34

Photos are below.

My son choose a husky dog.

He loves puppies and has three already (not build a bear ones) so as soon as he saw the dog he was walking round the shop with the display one blushgrin His puppy has a beating heart beat in it and a brush as my son pointed out he could use it for 'all his puppies' smile

His little sister is currently really into Peter Rabbit so she quickly recognised 'Rabbit' selections they have in for spring Easter. The bunny has the find me game in it.

My son also chose a bear to share with his sister and was influenced by his dad with the clothes choices (Guardians of the galaxy and transformers 😂)

I would but I would recommend going early as it got very very busy during our visit which as we had youngest with us who is under 2 it became abit much.

My son found it quite daunting initially but quickly realised how things worked.

Staff were very friendly - We took our time to walk the store and take it all in first and think every member of staff tried to help blush Maybe we were easy to spot as 'first timers' hehe

The highlights were brushing them and fluffing them up once they had been stuffed as well as making the birth certificate. Both kiddies really enjoyed this together.

It was very pushy for buying the 'extras' which was a shame from a parents perspective.

We all thoroughly enjoyed our visit - we have some very much loved new additions which I know will be treasured and loved for years to come. We look forward to buying more clothes in the future.

Really appreciate the chance to product test as we havnt been to a build a bear before smile

CheeseEMouse Sat 31-Mar-18 17:01:19

We visited the Build a bear concession in Bentalls at the Bentalls Centre in Kingston. It was not immediately obvious that the shop was a concession rather than a separate shop so we spent ages trying to find it.

The children chose rabbits to make because it was Easter. They are called Hoppity and the pink bunny remains nameless but I am sure will acquire a name in due course.

I am undecided as to whether I would recommend. The experience itself was engaging as the lady who was operating the stuffing machine was particularly fun and let the children "help" with the pedal. However, the cost of choosing outfits and accessories could easily get out of hand and I dissuaded my daughter from a £14 dress for her bunny so she could end up choosing more. I found the sales quite pressurised and at the till I was asked to buy a further gift card - which I would normally have just said no to but as I was distracted by two over excited children I said yes before I realised it was an additional charge and had it removed. I also noticed that the free hide and seek noises on offer had been charged at full price until I queried it.

I think it might have been a better in store experience had we been to a proper store as there would have been more space. The first couple of sales assistants were very engaging and welcoming and sensibly pointed out that the rabbit my little boy was about to choose was about 5ft tall and therefore not suitable!

We did enjoy it and they children had fun, but had we been spending our own money it's quite an expensive way to spend 45mins.

CheeseEMouse Sat 31-Mar-18 17:03:26

I should also say that the (free) cardboard carrier boxes are also a massive hit

SadieHH Sat 31-Mar-18 17:26:03

CheeseEMouse we might have been there at the same time! We’re not long back from the Bentalls Centre one - there used to be one outside Bentalls in the actual centre which I agree was better and more spacious but I’m not very well and didn’t have the energy to investigate so we went to the first one we saw!

I have a 10yo dd who was eaten up with jealousy when she found out about this so I did let her get a bear as well. I spent another £20 on top of the voucher so they could both get one.

DD2 (6) chose a pinky purple rabbit called May. This was one of the names suggested on the screen so she went with that. DD1 chose a white cat called Kelly, another name suggested on the computer. They weren’t in a very original mood today! I was hoping to steer them towards a more traditional bear/rabbit etc but they both choose something that made my eyes bleed. But that’s kids for you! They each got an item of clothing, a passport (we’re going on holiday next week and they’re bringing the bears) and a couple of accessories each. I did steer them towards the 2 for £28 deal otherwise the cost really does mount up. We were entitled to the hide and seek thingy because we bought a rabbit but neither of them wanted it! And DD1 didn’t want a sound. DD2 had the ‘I love you’ sound.

The girls love it so I would recommend BAB. However, it is very very expensive. £70 for two average sized bears and a couple of outfits is a lot of money and it would have to be for a very special occasion before I took them there myself, much as they loved it.

Mostly it was good. Like CheeseEMouse I found it pretty cramped especially when there were two or three other families trying to choose as well. Staff were attentive and friendly, possibly a little too attentive although I have awkward children! The girl on the stuffing machine (sorry, didn’t catch her name) was very good with them. Friendly but not in your face and she got them doing all sorts with the hearts before they went into the bears. My girls loved this and had been begging me to take them all week, hence dragging myself out of my sick pit! They’re still downstairs playing with the bears - I think the bears are currently at school...

Thank you so much for the chance to do this MN and BAB. I have two very happy children downstairs!

fairybells Sat 31-Mar-18 18:35:41

My daughter chose the white horse as she loves horses and does horse riding as a hobby. She named the horse Arabia as she thought it looked exactly like an Arabian horse. She chose some pink glittery shoes for the horse and a saddle with a bridle. Then she also chose the stables for Arabia. She didn’t want to have any sounds.
She really enjoyed today and she was so happy about the whole experience, she had been talking about this all week prior and today she hasn’t stopped playing with her new horse. My daughter is a bit shy so I’m not sure if she actually liked the stuffing part, she was also getting very anxious about the waiting time as the store was very busy. Once the horse was stuffed she really started having fun trying out different costumes for the horse! She would have liked to have a dress for it as well but none of them seemed to fit. Luckily she came to the conclusion that horses don’t wear dresses and that she should really get it a saddle instead!

I would definitely recommend the build a bear experience to family and friends if they can afford it, now that I know the prices I know some of them couldn’t.

The highlight was the choosing part; first picking the teddy then the accessories. I think my daughter wasn’t actually interested in building the teddy but she absolutely loved choosing the accessories for it!
For me personally it was too busy there, I wish we could have had the chance to go there at a quieter time. We’ve never been before and we didn’t know what to do when we walked in. I flagged a member of staff down who explained the process so that we got started. Then we had a quite a long wait to get the teddy stuffed. Only afterwards we found out that we could have chosen the teddy from the shelf that was already stuffed. The staff was very friendly and helpful but it was so busy in the store I understand they didn’t have much time.

Overall I think it was a nice experience for my daughter and I definitely would consider going back, due to it being a bit pricey it would have to be a special treat. Hopefully in the future they would have a larger selection of horses in the store so that we can go get Arabia a friend.

Patienceofatoddler Sat 31-Mar-18 19:40:47

Is there a link to the survey? blush@AaronMumsnet - or How do we find the survey please?

gheaney Sat 31-Mar-18 20:01:50

My little man got Rey and kylo ren. He got the Rey bear for £28 then second star wars bear for £5. He took his time deciding between star wars and charmander (Pokémon), seeing a bear is for life! He loved hearing all the starwars sounds which is what helped him decide. He loved helping at the stuffing machine. Opted for regular heart as had sound already. After blowing the fur he was amazed by all the star wars accessories. But he picked a light saber appropriate to each bear.
At the naming he opted for they prober names ( as why would you call them anything else!).
He found the whole experience very "loveable". " I loved making my own bears".
I enjoyed the experience with him but it would have to be very special occasions as I would find it very expensive. The staff were lovely but at each opportunity they were trying to encourage kids to have more- a beating heart, a smell, sound, and as a parent you'd be pressed to spend even more to not not see their disappointment.
I would recommend experience to others but again only as special treat.

Lund Sat 31-Mar-18 20:26:25

DS age 7 chose from the ‘two for 28’ range so he could get more for his money! I think he liked the colours of these bunnies and their big floppy ears. After much deliberation he chose some bed time outfits for them and they look nice and cosy in them. He also picked a back pack for them. We worked hard to spend exactly £50! They are called Harry and Ginny as DS has recently become a big Harry Potter fan.

I would recommend build a bear to others, and we have considered going before but I think it is really quite expensive and couldn’t justify the cost. I was pleased to have this opportunity to visit.

Overall it was a really enjoyable experience. The staff were all friendly and helpful and I liked the layout of the store which guided you through each section. A special mention to Sean in the Cardiff store who was lovely with DS.

Many thanks to mumsnet and build a bear!

foxessocks Sat 31-Mar-18 20:49:26

Our bear is actually a rabbit, my dd struggled to choose and she almost went for the Skye from paw patrol but we convinced her to get something different as she already has a cuddly Skye and we said the outfits would be better for the bunny! She chose a strawberry scent. Then she chose a tutu as seen in the photo and shoes, she also has another outfit a beauty and Beast dress and two other accessories a yoga mat and a wand. My dd was very insistent about the yoga mat! She chose to call her Scarlett as that was one of the example names and she liked it.
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why? I would for a special occasion yes as the staff are really lovely and make it a proper experience. My dd was really excited about helping to stuff the bear and choosing outfits. Also gives good idea for future birthdays etc as we can buy more outfits.
She loved it and has been playing with her new rabbit ever since getting her dressed and undressed and she loves that she smells of strawberry! Her highlight was getting to stuff the bear herself and being able to choose from all the little accessories.

Thank you MN an build a bear!

Teejayelle Sat 31-Mar-18 21:20:53

We visited Build-A-Bear for the first time at the Exeter store. It was quite busy but we didn’t have to wait long for a very helpful member of staff.

My son chose a fluffy dog teddy bear and took it to choose a sound. My son loved pressing all the sound buttons and chose the dinosaur roar! He then helped to stuff the bear by pressing the foot pump. We had purple and red hearts which we put inside him to make him magical. My son also chose the strawberry scent because he loves strawberries.

After the bear had been made we took him to the grooming station and gave him a “wash” and brush. We then took him to the dressing room and chose him an outfit. As it was Easter we chose the happy Easter tshirt with some shorts and boots. My son loves the glasses and suitcase that he chose to go with it.

At the end we sat down to make the birth certificate. My son called him Doggy (!) because he’s a dog!

The staff were all amazingly helpful and friendly and my son left a very happy boy.
It is not cheap but I would definitely recommend the experience. I was really impressed by the enthusiasm of the staff and the wide range of accessories that you can buy for your bear. A very enjoyable morning.

Brum123 Sun 01-Apr-18 18:28:44

We took our son 4 years old to build a bear in merry hill centre Bham. He couldn’t wait to get through the doors and brushed passed the young lady who greeted us he loves machines and buttons to operate.
She explained where every thing was and for us to have a great time, but he was already drawn in by bright colours and vast numbers of different animals. He went through them at least 5 times before choosing a purple unicorn. We moved onto the stuffing machine he was transfixed by it churning cotton wool stuffing, the machine did give off a lot of heat and by the time we had stuffed unicorn he felt very warm. The young lady asked if he would help her to fill the unicorn asking him how he wanted it filled, soft for cuddling, or harder for standing and cuddling playing with. He want for 2nd option and she gave him the foot peddle to start filling the unicorn whilst she manoeuvre it around when she had finished she asked if it was how he wanted it. It was she was told, he was the offered a small red heart which was free and asked him to kiss it and make a wish which he did she then got him to put it inside the unicorn. We were then offered paid options a beating heart, different noises, smells. He chose a beating heart as he had already tried these out before we started stuffing. She asked if he would put it into the unicorn which he did. The unicorn was then sewn up and she presented him with new best friend he thanked her and ran off to look for clothes, so many colours and choices finally found trousers and padded jacket. We moved onto pretend washing area and made unicorn clean and tidy, we moved onto computer area for birth certificate but he was now getting bored so got a name off him and let him do what he wanted have a run round the certificate took a bit of time to come through at pay desk, we were asked how we wanted to take unicorn we chose a box . Overall experience for son good and a new best bed buddy, age wise maybe 6 and up as to many choices to be made for younger children. Would definitely recommend

Bee70 Sun 01-Apr-18 20:22:17

DS decided to make a bear for his little sister as it was her birthday this week. He picked a pony and had great fun adding in the sounds (he wanted the matching pony sound) and strawberry scent as that is DDs favourite. He then went round the shop trying out various accessories and clothes to see what looked best, and decided on the name 'Princess Rainbow Heart' to show he had put all his best love into making it.

I would definitely recommend BAB to others. Although it is a bit pricey, you get a completely individualised bear made with love, and as long as the shop isn't too busy and you can take your time, it is a wonderful experience - totally worth what you pay.

The experience was brilliant - the staff were amazing, they talked us through what to do (as we were a bit clueless) and when it came to stuffing the bear and adding the extra touches, they were really patient with DS as he tried to explain what he wanted and they made the experience so magical by showing him how to fill the heart with love, and opening the scent packs so he could choose what he wanted. The range of accessories was really good too and we liked that you could mix and match to your heart's content.
Thank you so much for letting us try BAB out. (and DD loved her present!)

CoffeeOrSleep Sun 01-Apr-18 21:20:08

2. Meet Poppy! DD (aged 4) is waging a campaign for a dog and all things dog related are amazing. She was never going to pick a bear! Poppy was acquired at the Bluewater store.

Poppy doesn't have a scent, but will bark if you throttle her (at Dds suggest, the sound thing is in her throat - lovely!), has spangle shoes and can change from the purple dress to a pink tutu when the fancy takes her.

3. I might recommend build a bear - however with the caveat this does seem a very expensive way to get a stuffed toy, and while the picking and creating experience were fun and interesting, it doesn't take that long so not really a holiday activity on its own. (The £50 voucher seemed about right to leave with a dressed toy, having been able to say "yes" to the extra bits like noises/hearts etc, so if I was to take both my dcs, I wouldn't expect much change from £100 for 2 stuffed toys and an activity that took under half an hour.)

4. DD loved it! She liked putting the heart in, stuffing the toy herself, the staff were amazing with her, even though they were clearly busy. We didn't have to wait very long to get the toy stuffed or to pay.

For a one off treat - it was fabulous.

littleme96 Mon 02-Apr-18 11:29:36

We visited the Bluewater store on Saturday. This isn't our local Build A Bear workshop, but we were away for the weekend and so decided to visit as a surprise for our 2 children. None of us had ever been before.

2. We made 2 bears - Toothless the Dragon (name self explanatory!) and a Unicorn called Cupcake, who is named after the cupcake scent she is filled with. Toothless has a lavender scent inside him and both toys have the special beating heart. They decided to not choose any other sounds, as the beating heart was deemed to be particularly special in itself! Deciding on the scent was probably the hardest part, because we were only going on the scent name - samples outside of the packets to sniff would have been welcome to assist with this!

3. I would recommend Build-A-Bear to friends for a special occasion. It is expensive, especially if you get lots of accessories and clothing, however I think the experience for the child goes quite a way to justifying the cost. I probably wouldn't use the website as a result of this, because you would be paying the premium price without the experience which just wouldn't be the same.

4. As mentioned previously, none of us had ever been to Build A Bear before, however after being slightly overwhelmed initially the clear signage really helped us to understand what to do and where to go next. It was really busy, but the staff didn't rush either child and we had a really good experience despite the amount of people in the shop. The filling process was our favourite part and the children both enjoyed choosing what would go into their bears, activating the heart by doing actions (my youngest was a little bemused by this) and rubbing their chosen scents on the bear before it was put inside.

Overall, we had a lovely time and both bears are already prized possessions. Thank you. smile

Chrisinthemorning Mon 02-Apr-18 13:45:38

DS (5) made a Chewbacca bear named Chewie. He chose to make that bear because he loves Star Wars. He considered a Pikachu bear but DH and I encouraged Chewie because we like Star Wars toogrin
He makes a rookie sound, has a beating heart and smells of candy floss! He has a crossbow.
I would recommend because DS really enjoyed it and loved his new bear. It was nearly £50 though so an expensive treat - would only do for a birthday or similar.
The in store experience (White Rose Leeds) was very good- staff were friendly and helpful and great with DS.
The highlight was the birth certificate- DS was very impressed!

InTheRoseGarden Mon 02-Apr-18 15:06:21

1. Photo attached

2. DS (4yo) chose this My Little Pony. Her name is Princess. I suggested the name because by that point the shop was filling up and I wanted to go! DS very happy with the suggestion though. DS is obsessed with My Little Pony The Movie. Not sure what this one is called in the film but DS was over the moon to get this. Said he'd have to get Chase from Paw Patrol next time grin

3. Yes I would recommend. I was expecting to say that it's too expensive but we went to the one in Swindon which is an outlet store and the discounts made the price ok. DS and his little brother (who got a Sonic the Hedgehog called "Zing") have had lots of fun already with their Build a Bears. They were excited to go to "the teddy bear factory". I would recommend it as a fun activity where they get to take away something they really love at the end. We'll be doing it again (having never done it before).

4. DS was a little overwhelmed because it was busy, noisy and a bit chaotic. He enjoyed choosing his teddy but found the stuffing machine a bit noisy. His little brother (2yo) took over on the filling pedal for him! DS will have more fun in the shop next time now it's familiar to him.

Highlight for me was the preparation of the heart to go in the teddy. DS took it very seriously. smile Otherwise the experience for me was better than expected because I did expect chaos going on Good Friday and thought there would be drama and tears in the selection process (there was only a little from DSs little brother who didn't want to put the sample teddy back). Negative bits: forgetting / not being given the birth certificates at the till, two out of three birth certificate machines broken, sonic's arm going floppy already!

Thanks so much for this it was a fun experience for my two little sons and they both absolutely love their "teddies". 🙏

wishingchair1 Mon 02-Apr-18 17:51:23

We went today with DD 8 and 5. We decided to get them both a bear, so I was conscience that the voucher would only cover one.
When arriving at the Sheffield BAB, I checked for any in-store vouchers and found a £10 off £30 spend.
Dd8 selected a rainbow bear, chose a top, skirt, shoes and glasses for her.
She enjoyed the building of it and the staff were lovely and very interactive. We recorded a message and chose a popcorn smell. I paid for Giggles first and was offered a £10 voucher for £5, so opted for that to put towards dd2 bear. With the £10 off it came to around £35.
Dd2 chose a cat called Whiskers, again she loved the making of it and staff were happy chatting along to it. She loved the heart section, making it funny and clever. Again she recorded a personal message and chose a strawberry smell. My partner also had a £10 off voucher for her and the gift card.
We bought another gift card for the future and received another £10 off voucher. I suspect we will order some accessories online.
The experience was fun and interactive. They had wanted to do this for a while, but has been too expensive.
I would take them back and keep an eye out for offers etc. Had a great to time testing this out. Thanks for choosing us.

firsttimekat Mon 02-Apr-18 17:53:22

We went to the Brighton store with our 4yr old DS. We hadn't been to one before and he wasn't aware of the concept, in hindsight we should have spent more time beforehand explaining it but we hadn't so he was very overwhelmed in the store and an overbearing staff member didn't help. He is very into cuddly toys but initially said he didn't want anything as it was just too much for him.

After a lot of explaining and direction he ended up choosing two, toothless the dragon and a teddy he named Benny who he later chose a power ranger outfit for and who got a power ranger sound box. He loves power rangers at the moment so when he saw the outfit it was quickly chosen. We did walk round the whole store to look at the outfits before choosing a bear.

He has ended up with 2 toys that he loves but I wouldn't recommend build a bear to other parents with younger children as the concept was too much for DS and he would have been just as happy with a standard teddy at a much cheaper price! For a older children who would enjoy the process I might recommend.

Overall we found it chaotic and overwhelming, perhaps because we hadn't done enough to explain the process and perhaps because we spent a lot of time wandering round the store explaining things and there was a big birthday party going on! I was disappointed that the staff member wasn't able to gauge my DSs reaction to him and back off, he also couldn't spell a fairly basic name which was worrying. DS did enjoy the stuffing machine and using the foot pedal to help stuff the bears and liked creating the birth certificate. He loves the teddies he chose but I wouldn't have been happy with the price tag!

However he has ended up with 2 teddies that he is really pleased with so thank you build a bear and mumsnet.

wishingchair1 Mon 02-Apr-18 17:57:36

We went today with DD 8 and 5. We decided to get them both a bear, so I was conscience that the voucher would only cover one.
When arriving at the Sheffield BAB, I checked for any in-store vouchers and found a £10 off £30 spend.
Dd8 selected a rainbow bear, chose a top, skirt, shoes and glasses for her.
She enjoyed the building of it and the staff were lovely and very interactive. We recorded a message and chose a popcorn smell. I paid for Giggles first and was offered a £10 voucher for £5, so opted for that to put towards dd2 bear. With the £10 off it came to around £35.
Dd2 chose a cat called Whiskers, again she loved the making of it and staff were happy chatting along to it. She loved the heart section, making it funny and clever. Again she recorded a personal message and chose a strawberry smell. My partner also had a £10 off voucher for her and the gift card.
We bought another gift card for the future and received another £10 off voucher. I suspect we will order some accessories online.
The experience was fun and interactive. They had wanted to do this for a while, but has been too expensive.
I would take them back and keep an eye out for offers etc. Had a great to time testing this out. Thanks for choosing us.

BuildingBearFun Mon 02-Apr-18 18:24:05

We went today. Thankfully it was quite quiet at 3pm, I’m not sure I could have coped with hoards of over-excited toddlers.

We visited the Exeter store today. I had already looked online and DS (4) had decided that he wanted a transformers bear. He chose a plain bear and a couple of outfits to go with it. The staff were friendly and helpful (not utterly joyless like I worried they might be). They made the experience fun for DS but didn’t push him on a couple of things he was reluctant about, like sounds and scents for the bear. He didn’t want to put a heart in either and the assistant tried to encourage him but didn’t push too hard which was good. DS can be a bit tricky about that kind of thing and and was having a slightly volatile weekend, having been glutened at Nursery in the week (he has coeliac disease).

She let DS help to refill the fluff machine and press the pedal to fill the bear with stuffing. DS called his bear Bongo hmm and is thrilled with him. I don’t know why he chose that name, other than he likes funny rhyming type words.

Yes, but I would also recommend looking at the website in advance for offers and to see how you could get most bang for your buck. The outfits were very expensive - it didn’t help that DS wanted film tie in costumes, but they were a tenner each even in the sale. I could almost have bought DS a costume for the same money shock

It was fun and a nice way to spend a bit of one to one time with DS. The staff were great. He enjoyed the choosing process and didn’t find it stressful like I thought he might. He was happy to chat to the staff about his bear and he loved helping with the fluff machine and the filling of the bear.

BirdsInTheAttic Mon 02-Apr-18 18:39:44

Meet Rainbow, the rock star princess bear. I think she's actually a leopard but DD (4) has decided bear. She's very colourful, and has a crown, a hoodie, sunglasses and shimmery shoes. She also has a heartbeat and plays a Disney song 😂

This was our first visit to Build a Bear and I did find it pretty pricey (though since we had the voucher we did decide to go all out and just spend it, hence the full range of extras!)

I would recommend the Build a Bear experience, perhaps more as a special treat or birthday present. I think a gift voucher would be a lovely present as the recipient would get the experience as well as the finished bear.

We found the experience really good. I hadn't been sure what to expect but we were definitely impressed. The shop wasn't too busy and I was only with DD (rather than both DC) so that probably helped.
The staff were helpful and enthusiastic without being overbearing (haha just realised the pun there). We loved watching the stuffing machine and DD especially enjoyed the heart ceremony and choosing clothes. She definitely felt like she was creating a special toy, and I think Rainbow is going to be well-loved!

BuildingBearFun Mon 02-Apr-18 19:22:36

Just been reading the other experiences. I would agree that a guide at the start would be helpful. It sounds like we had a good experience but it might have been better if DS had wanted more to engage with bringing the bear to life etc.

Our visit didn’t take long - probably less than half an hour - but if he was the type of child to spend ages choosing and deliberating over outfits etc it would have lasted longer.

Patienceofatoddler Mon 02-Apr-18 19:22:41

@AaronMumsnet how do we access the survey please?

New to this so have not seen anything about it - Will we be emailed a link? Thank You.

tworonnies1957 Mon 02-Apr-18 19:41:57

Hi there mumsnet did a post asking for mumsnet users and there kids 7 and under to test out build a bear workshop and they be given a voucher for £50.00 to use all these that entered have been told if they were winners so sorry if didn't enter your now to late as winners have been picked I was one those that were very lucky to win

tworonnies1957 Mon 02-Apr-18 19:43:44

did receive a email from build a bear to say you had got a £50.00 voucher

Smallinthesmoke Mon 02-Apr-18 21:26:09

Here is DD2's monkey Joe. He comes with two outfits- Spider-Man and jeans/T-shirt (for when he is in Peter Parker-mode). As soon as we saw the super-hero range there was no doubt what she would go for- and even Wonder-woman costumes weren't cutting it... It had to be Spider-Man all the way. Joe also has snazzy red boots, makes pow noises when fighting villains and comes with a blue rucksack (complete with arm holes) for when travelling around on DD's back, so he can see a bit of the world. This little lot came in at £54.
We had a fantastic time at Hamleys. I went as early in the day as possible yet it was utterly heaving, with some serious cash being spent. The staff without exception were excellent- the incredibly cheery Adam was the first to see us and made DD2 her name sticker, gave her a dog on roller-skates (!) to pull about and talked us through the process. Francesca was on the stuffing machine and really put on a good show with all the spiel about the strong heart and the toy being your best friend forever (DD totally fell for this and is still reciting it) and Courtney helped us with the outfits - happy to try anything on- and getting the total up to the right amount. Unlike reports from other shops, I didn't find the Hamleys staff pushy at all- having said that, I think it is really helpful to a) look online first so you have a vague idea what you will want (it is pretty overwhelming) and b) go in with an idea of what you want to spend so the staff can guide you to that level. Then Josh was on the till and made the birth certificate. I don't know how much these guys are earning but they deserve a pay rise as they work in the noisiest craziest place full of tourists pushing and kids yelling, and yet somehow they manage to make the whole thing feel fresh and fun. They even stop for a Build-A-bear song for kids' parties.
I must admit that previous Mumsnet threads have been a bit down on Build-a-bear but we really enjoyed it. DD said it was her best day ever except Christmas and birthday, and she had been glued to Joe ever since. The main issue is of course the cost- you could get a decent bear and t-shirt and one sound for less than £30 but even that will be out of many budgets. I also would not take a small sibling but just the child for whom you are buying, as it is very hectic. I think this is perfect for a 5 or 6 year old who can look forward to the treat and not freak out at all the choice. Make a day out of it and go and play with all the other toys in Hamleys too.
Thank you for the opportunity to take part, we had a wonderful time.

nocturnalanimals Mon 02-Apr-18 21:48:30

2. Please tell us all about your DC’s new bear. We would love to know the name of the bear, the reason that your DC chose this name, in addition to any other background details regarding your child’s bear selection process such as their reason for choosing particular clothes, scents or accessories? We visited the Lakeside store on Easter Monday and my 4 year old has chosen a bunny. She was unsure what to call it and we were deciding between 3 different names, in the end the SA helped us out and my daughter agreed with her to call it Fluffy. I knew we could chose the clothes but being offered to choose a noise the toy would make and the scent was a nice surprise. My daughter decided on a rabbit noise and a popcorn scent.
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why? Yes, I would definitely recommend, it ws a nice family experience and we also took grandma with us as she wasn’t aware there was such store where you could build your bear from scratch. We had a lot of fun choosing the scent, listening to different noises, choosing the heart and deciding on the clothes and shoes.
4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights? Being able to chose a scent, myself, my husband and my mum found it quite amusing. My daughter loved the whole experience, choosing the heart, warming it up, rubbing it on her belly so that the bunny would never get hungry, being able to chose the clothes and shoes was great fun. I also liked the fact that the £50 voucher went quite far and she was able to chose anything she liked including the scent and the noise which has added to the overall positive experience.

MoanaofMotunui Mon 02-Apr-18 22:07:13

2. We visited the Swindon store as an end of term treat for DD. As we walked through the door, the first thing that struck DP and I was how tidy the shop was. We passed the Oxford store many years ago and it always seemed crowded and the boxes of bears looked like a jumble sale! But the Swindon store was lovely and tidy, all the bears were neatly in their boxes, the displays were fantastic and it was so easy to see what each bear would look like once finished, which really helped DD decide which to choose.

After much deliberation, DD chose a cat bear which she called Heartsweets (due to looking sweet and being covered in hearts!) and was also kind enough to choose a Toothless for her little brother. We had a good rummage through the boxes of sounds and eventually DD chose one with lots of cat noises. Then we had a good sniff of all the scents and DD chose a cupcake scent for her bear. Between the bears, sounds and scents, there really is so much choice and it really helped that the shop was kept very tidy and well organised so that it wasn’t confusing or overwhelming when deciding what to choose.

DD was asked to choose a heart to put into her bear and had to do lots of actions which corresponded to the characteristics that would be nice for her new friend to have e.g. ‘Jump up and down so she has lots of energy’. DD really enjoyed this! She then got to press down on the button to help stuff the bear before putting the heart and scent into the bear. We were really pleased with the finished result, the sound is very clear and easy to press through the paw, the scent really surprised us as I didn’t think it’d be as noticeable as it is... it smells gorgeous! We were all also very happy with how well the bears are stuffed, they turn out to be quite substantial in size and are very cuddly!

Next we moved on to choosing some clothes. DD chose a t-shirt and shorts combo as the t-shirt had a leopard print (we have a fascination with cats at the mo!!) She also chose some sparkly rainbow shoes and a headband. I think the theme was ‘how jazzy can we make this bear look’!😂 We then moved on to making the bear’s birth certificate (with DD strongly vetoing the suggestion of renaming her bear ‘Mr Motivator’ on account of the outfit!!)

Finally we paid for the bears and clothes. We were really surprised that 2 bears, 1 sound, 1 scent, an outfit, shoes and a headband only came to £43. We were asked if we’d like to use the remainder of the voucher to purchase 2 £10 gift cards for £5 each, so we decided to do this and have £20 to spend in store in the future as DD had really enjoyed making her bear and one for her baby brother.

3. We would absolutely recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop! We found the staff really friendly and helpful, so much choice in regards to bears, sounds, scents, clothes etc! Also the quality of the bears is fantastic, they’re a really substantial size and feel very sturdy once stuffed. It was such an enjoyable experience and is a really fantastic treat or gift idea. DD really likes the idea of collecting bears and clothes from now on!!

4. We really enjoyed the whole experience. DD can’t decide what her favourite part was. But I think for myself and DP, it was seeing her personality and style coming out while she was choosing the bear’s clothes and chatting to the member of staff about the characteristics she’d like her bear to have! Also seeing both of our little ones smiling and choosing their bears and DD helping DS choose a bear!! We had a really enjoyable time, lots of laughs, made some lovely memories and will definitely be heading back for another cuddly friend in the future! Thank you so much for selecting us for this product test!

MoanaofMotunui Mon 02-Apr-18 22:22:03

Sorry, my photos don't seem to want to attach 😭 will have another try tomorrow x

bakingqueen Mon 02-Apr-18 22:28:41

We visited the Trafford centre store today on bank holiday Monday which in retrospect may have been a bad idea. The shop was very busy. We have never been before so it was a bit baffling walking in and figuring out what to do. A member of staff helped us however. The selection of toys was good and my son was delighted to find toothless from how to train your dragon amongst the selection. He also picked a bear for his brother who he insisted on sharing the treat with as his brother was too young for Easter eggs. Recording the voice was baffling as when I initially tried all it picked up was the background noise despite the signs saying this would not happen. Another member of staff helped us however and took us into a back room to record my message to my son to go inside toothless. The stuffing of the bears was a great hit with them both the staff member was really attentive and my son enjoyed jumping on the spot etc to give the dragon characteristics as well as the beating heart inside. The staff member was very attentive to them both and my son said that putting the stuffing in himself was the best bit.

The lack of accessories for tooothless did annoy my son because we could find none. I have since looked online but only found a saddle.

The queue for birth certificates was very long so my son did not want to wait as ‘its obvious his name is toothless mummy you have seen the film’. Stage 5 for photos also got missed as the shop had piled cardboard boxes in front of that area so any pictures taken would have been ruined anyway.

The staff at the till were very helpful and explained the different packing methods. My youngest son did not want to let go of his bear so there was no point in getting anything for him. My oldest son wanted the backpack he particularly liked the fact the dragons arms and head could stick out. That was a hit with him and he enjoyed walking around the Trafford centre with his bag so that everyone could see his dragon. It also came in handy to put the dragon I fully to escape the rain on the way out.

I would recommend build a bear definatly my two sons had a lovely time and I know they will treasure the dragon and the bear. I think as an extra special treat it would be a fabulous idea.

I went into this thinking that my son would not find many choices but he was thrilled with toothless. A lot of the choices were for girls but my son’s were still happy

everybodysang Tue 03-Apr-18 08:31:04

DD loves My Little Pony, Pokemon, Paw Patrol, unicorns and just cuddly toys in general, so it was a difficult choice for her to make. The staff member who helped us in the Colchester store was fabulous - actually, there were two and they were both great - helping her make a shortlist and whittling it down until we eventually chose a Charmander Pokemon one. She called it Charly ("with a y because that's more special"). She went for a beating heart plus a strawberry scent - she's really excited by the scent and can't believe it will last two years. We also added the Charmander voice in the paw. Initially she wanted pyjamas but it was tricky to find ones that fit and then she decided she actually didn't want it to have clothes, because Charmander doesn't wear any in 'real life'. Instead she chose a skateboard and helmet (!) for him and then I let her buy the bed/chair for him too, which she adores and has tucked into her own bed every night since we got it and gone to sleep with it beside her, sharing her duvet.
Yes I would and I am surprised to find myself saying that. It's eye wateringly expensive but we were in the store for an hour and they really made it a very special experience for her. I expected it to be a bit more cynical but they were careful with the upselling to make sure it was ok with me first and they were kind and patient with her. She loved it so much that I would recommend it - for a special occasion!
We both really liked it - DD loved stuffing the bear, brushing its hair, choosing the accessories. I think her favourite part was making the birth certificate. The highlights for me were just how nice the staff were - they were young women and just really great. If you're going to spending such a lot of money on a cuddly toy you do want it to feel special... and it did.

buildapony Tue 03-Apr-18 09:40:32

Will add in another post, it's not letting me add them at the moment!

My little girl is obsessed with My Little Pony, so we are now the proud owners of a Starlight Glimmer pony! I'll admit, I did try to steer her towards a bear, purely so she'd be able to buy more clothing etc for it, but she was determined to get a pony (and was then a bit annoyed when she couldn't choose from all the dresses etc for it...)

Hmm. Maybe? We had fun, and she's thrilled with her new pony, but in all we spent £56 on a cuddly toy, a skirt, a cape, some shoes and a hairbrush. It's a lot of money, and I am not entirely sure it was worth it!

The store was empty, and we were greeted, and everyone was lovely, and my daughter had a lovely time. She loved being able to fill her pony herself, and enjoyed putting the heart in.

I was a bit annoyed that the assistant asked her directly if she wanted the MLP theme tune sound thing - it's really quiet, and hard to use, and I would have preferred not to have the sound chip in there and spend the £5 on something else. I didn't know we could get a birth certificate either, it was never mentioned, and that would have been a nice thing to have.

ProseccoandPizza Tue 03-Apr-18 11:50:39

We visited Build-A-Bear Cardiff store on Saturday. The staff were super helpful and would definitely recommend to others. Ds7 was over the moon with the experience apparently it was the best day ever. He’s planning on going back to make his bear a friend soon. His bear is named Sam and is in the Army complete with full camo, dog tags, little converse style trainers and camo boxer shorts. He chose a Dinosaur roar and a mixed berry smell. He is permanently attached to Sam who even came to LEGOLAND with us yesterday.

ThePurpleGirl Tue 03-Apr-18 12:42:56

DD chose a unicorn with a rainbow mane. She then dressed her in a rainbow design tshirt and tutu, one pair of rainbow shoes and a pair of purple glittery shoes, with pink sparkly roller skate attachments, and a glittery silver lead. There was clearly only one name this unicorn could have... Rainbow! She also had a Purple Heart, a berry scent, and sings “Get Back Up Again” from Trolls. She loves all things Unicorn, and also bright colours, so having had a sneak look on the website before we went I had already guessed this would be what she chose. She loves Trolls and particularly bouncing around to the upbeat songs, so that drove her choice of sound. I think the scent choice was primarily about what colour it was (purple). The outfit was inspired by the outfit on the pre-made unicorn in the entrance of the shop. I think the only thing she changed was the colour of the shoes.

Yes, but only for VERY special occasions as it was extremely expensive. I naively had thought the £50 voucher would be enough to do a bear for DD and maybe one for DS too, but by the time we’d been upsold all the sounds, scents, clothes etc. we had spent £65!!! I’ve never spent so much on a soft toy before.

We really loved the experience overall. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and good at interacting with children. They made quite an event of the whole process - for instance, instead of just putting the heart in, DD had to kiss it to give it love, rub it on both cheeks to give it some of her cheekiness, then she had to jump up and down with it, spin round and make a wish to put the magic in.

We had a couple of issues that the staff helped with, for instance the first sound chip wouldn’t take the sound, it just kept saying there was an error, and the first terminal we used to do the birth certificate wouldn’t register the unicorn. One thing I would suggest is that the sound chip terminal was too high for small children to reach and a small stool might be a good idea.

The one negative was that it didn’t sit quite right with me that the staff always asked the child if they wanted a scent or a beating heart or a sound effect, all of which cost extra money. I think it put the adult under pressure to allow their child to have all the extras, as once the child has been offered it, it would be awkward to step in and say they can’t have it due to the cost. It would sour the experience somewhat. It’s all those extras that rack up the costs though - the actual unicorn was less than £20 and the total cost was £65. It didn’t help that because the one in the shop entrance had roller skates on, DD was desperate for hers to be the same. As the unicorn has four feet that was two pairs of skates. The skates attach to the bottom of the shoes rather than being standalone items, so we also needed two pairs of shoes. That meant the footwear alone was £20! I’ve bought shoes for DD for less than that!

ThePurpleGirl Tue 03-Apr-18 12:50:46

Some more photos

lollylaus Tue 03-Apr-18 13:41:41

Testers, please share your photos and answer the following questions on the thread below:

My daughter named her bear twinkle because it has multi coloured stars on it. She was so excited when I told her we were going to build a bear but didn't know what kind of bear she wanted until we got there. She chose twinkle because she loved the colours. We then chose a poppy troll voice (she loves poppy!) and a beating heart too. She chose a strawberry scent because she loves strawberries. Luckily the voucher also enabled her to buy some clothes. She knew she wanted a bear with a skirt so got a rainbow tutu and also a t-shirt and some shoes.
We loved our visit to build a bear, my daughter was full of excitement beforehand and then she loved the whole selection process. The staff at build a bear (Bridgend) made the whole experience lovely and she really enjoyed bringing her bear to life. I think my daughters age (4) is perfect for the build a bear experience. It was really magical for her and perfect for a special treat on a birthday or for Christmas.
As I said the staff were lovely and very accommodating to both my 4 year old and her baby sister (who was having a tantrum at the time!). I think the highlight for my daughter was picking the bear's clothes. She could have picked lots out!

libertysilk Tue 03-Apr-18 14:25:47

As we walked into the store, dd saw a cat dressed in a dress and wearing shoes and roller skates. She immediately decided she would like this one. She named it Rosie, and went about choosing silver sparkly shoes to match hers and the roller skates, then the dress.
I would definitely recommend build-a-bear, although it can be quite expensive. DD absolutely loved her experience and has been playing with 'Rosie' since she got it yesterday afternoon. I didn't receive a birth certificate which I've seen on other posts. I wasn't offered one at all. When we went to pay the assistant was talking with what looked like a friend. Maybe she was distracted?
DD loved the whole experience, and was buzzing with excitement. I was feeding dd who is 10 weeks old, and the staff were happy for me to bf on a chair. The assistant didn't mind taking dd around the store choosing the dress, roller skates and shoes. DD loved pressing the foot pump to fill up 'Rosie' with stuffing and putting a love heart for charity inside.

Nsmum14 Tue 03-Apr-18 15:38:03

My two kids, aged 7 and 3, were overjoyed when I told them we had won the voucher as they are both very very into the build-a-bear store. We have never bought a toy there - although my daughter was once given a teddy for her birthday by a relative - but every time we walk by the Glasgow stores they run in to have a look around and try their luck. The kids were impatient to get their teddies asap, so we build their bears online. It was a very fun after-school experience, a real treat for us to enjoy as a family. My daughter chose the reindeer with candyfloss scent, my son one of the cats with a sound effect. It was very enjoyable to be able to browse through the entire selection, and to take time selection add-ons. They are lovely, so well made. My daughter has not put hers down in a week. No photos unfortunately, as my camera isn't working just now. I would recommend to friends, but would be more likely to recommend the workshops to the grandparents and great aunts in the family, as they have more to spend and they make good gifts for birthdays. They are pricey but they do seem to be in a different league quality-wise to the cheaper brands. My daughter's favourite part was coming home from school to find Trotty waiting in her box. She loved that detail, the little houses they arrived in. All in all it was a lovely experience that we all enjoyed very much.

ILikeBigBumpsAndICannotLie Tue 03-Apr-18 16:04:22

Here is a photo of our new bear.

Skye is our new bear as we are obsessed with Paw Patrol. We've seen a little too much of it recently as she's been poorly, so the unicorn was discarded as soon as she saw the pup. The outfit she chose had to match the one on display, and she couldn't be persuaded otherwise, despite the lure of the rainbow tutu.

Yes, its fun and she absolutely loves the dressing it and hasn't put the dog down since. You need to know what you are doing though, as its hard to work out what you should be doing, we hadn't been before and hadn't realised the order of things, nobody explained things to us, the birth certificate wasn't clear at all

4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience?
A bit overwhelming and chaotic, and I do feel we lost out on a bit of the magic of it. It's crammed into a corner of our local department store, and there is no obvious way in as such. It was just too busy, crowded and hard to see options even though there were not many people there. My childs quite small and she is deaf and aided, and I felt the staff didn't know how to interact with her, no one got down to her level to talk to her, didn't appreciate that the music would interfere with her. When it came to choosing a sound, the staff member had no way to make it louder so it could be heard (and I struggled too over the shop music), and couldn't tell us what was being recorded. There was a little distress over being talked over rather than clearly to her. It would be nice to have an option to dress the animal on site.

What were the highlights? She absolutely loved the heart waving and rubbing and making a wish (to be Skye in real life). Also being asked if she could give it hugs whilst it was being stuffed to see if it was the right level of squishiness.

4GreenApples Tue 03-Apr-18 16:16:39

We took DS1 (6) and DS2 (4). After a good look at all the different bears available, DS1 picked a unicorn, and DS2 picked a Star Wars bear.
DS1 named his Unicorn because it is a unicorn, and DS2 named his Goo Goo because he wanted it to be a baby bear.
They each picked an accessory to go with their bear, there was a huge choice of accessories available in the shop, but they picked ones that went with the selected bears. So DS1 picked a shiny rainbow lead to go with the unicorn, and DS2 picked a red light sabre to go with the Star Wars bear.
The DC would have happily picked many more accessories if they’d been allowed (DS1 was quite keen on the roller skates for the unicorn, and DS2 was keen on getting a matching blue lightsaber), but as we were already splitting the £50 voucher between 2 DC, we decided that we had to restrict them to one accessory each on this visit.
The roller skates DS1 wanted, for example, would have added an extra £20 to the cost, because you need to buy shoes to clip the roller skates onto as well, and the unicorn has 4 feet.

I’m a bit divided on this. On one hand, the DC absolutely loved it, but on the other hand, it would be very easy to spend an awful lot of money on accessories.
So on balance, I’d probably recommend it as a special treat, with a warning about the cost of the accessories and the upselling, so friends / family members are aware of that in advance.

The DC absolutely loved it. We went today and they’ve already been asking when can they go again.

The shop wasn’t too busy, and was well staffed, so minimal waiting time to get the bears stuffed. The staff member on the stuffing machine was very friendly and helpful, and made sure that we knew how to get the “birth certificate” sorted out before we went to the till.

I was impressed by the amount of choice, I think that almost any child would be able to find a bear that suited their tastes given the wide range of styles available.

DS2 especially loved the bit where you can pretend to wash your bear. I think he would have happily spent hours “washing” his Star Wars bear if we’d let him.

There was also a wide range of accessories available, but as I’ve mentioned above, we didn’t get the DC all the accessories they liked because of the cost of them. It would be very easy for the cost of the trip to skyrocket if you got all the extras and a number of accessories.
I also wasn’t very impressed at the upselling at the till, particularly the bit where the shop assistant started showing off the bear carrier that she had on her back.
Fortunately the DC had listened to warnings that they’d probably only be allowed one accessory, so didn’t get carried away with wanting all the lovely accessories they saw!

BuildABeartester Tue 03-Apr-18 18:24:44

We went to Build A Bear at Meadowhall.
1. Photo attached
2. My DS (4) was really excited about his visit, we had seen the advert on telly and had a little look at the website too beforehand. He chose Toothless straight away and wasn’t interested in looking at the outfits or accessories at all. He loved the process of choosing a noise and adding a heart and pressing the pedal for the stuffing. As he didn’t really want any accessories we had enough money left for us to get another bear (with a little top up) and got Chewbacca as well. He has just watched the 1st original Star Wars and wanted R2D2 1st until he realised that it was pre stuffed so chose something Chewy instead.
4. Yes I would recommend for a special occasion but perhaps for a slightly older age group as DS likes the mechanics of making the bear but didn’t really fancy the rest of it!
5. The staff were really welcoming, we were 2nd through the door after it opened so there were plenty of staff on hand. I didn’t find the staff pushy at all, in fact having read some of the other reviews perhaps they could have talked to us about the process a bit more as we didn’t get to go through the different options re noises - were just asked if the one they selected was the one we wanted, weren’t aware there was a “bath” the bear could go through afterwards or that there was a dressing up area. However DS was very happy so a big thanks from us to Mumsnet and Build A Bear.
PS I have name changed, if you can’t link this review to the name I signed up for the test with please let me know.

ApocalypseNowt Tue 03-Apr-18 19:49:41

I took both DD's along and paid the extra for the second bear. DD1 (6yo) chose a multi coloured bunny because it's easter and called it Fluffy because apparently everything is called Fluffy at the moment. DD2 (4yo) chose a grey cat because she already had a cat toy at home (not build a bear) and wanted another one. She called hers Tilly which is the name of one of her friends! I think DD1 really enjoyed choosing but DD2 found the amount of choice a bit overwhelming...she grabbed the cat early on and didn't really look at many of the others. They both chose the strawberry scent because it was the nicest one (they did have a sniff of quite a few of the others). They put noises in (cat for cat and bunny for bunny) - they really liked the noise machine and spent quite a while trying all the different sounds. They also both had the beating heart put in which they found fascinating!

I would but as a treat for a special occasion or a birthday as it is quite expensive. The woman we spoke to first though did quietly say to us to let them know if we had a budget and they'd work around us which I thought was really good.

I thought the experience was really good and my girls definitely enjoyed it and love their bears. We were the first people in the shop which was nice because by the time we left (after about half an hour or so) it did get quite busy and a bit chaotic. The staff were great and were really sweet with the girls especially when we told them that they had never been before. Towards the end I did feel like we'd been left to our own devices a bit....I know this was probably to do with how busy the shop was but if I was coming here as a 'treat' and spending a lot of money I think I'd have been a bit disappointed that the experience sort of tailed off towards the end. As I mentioned previously the staff were very good at explaining the process and had a quite word about budgets which I appreciated.

ApocalypseNowt Tue 03-Apr-18 19:51:30

Sorry, also meant to add that we did chose outfits too based on the garishness of the colours and the amount of flounce and frills!

Here's a few more photos for luck!

Starfishes Tue 03-Apr-18 20:22:15

We visited the Buchanan Galleries store in Glasgow whilst on holiday visiting relatives. My two daughters aged 5 & 6 had a fantastic time! The staff were very helpful and friendly. As it was a special treat they added extras to their bears like a tune which plays when you press its paw and a scent! Along with an outfit they also picked an extra - one daughter chose twinkling wings and the other roller skates. One bear is called Risa and the other Chloe.
As they are quite young the choice in store was quite overwhelming but both had quite strong ideas about what they did / didn't like. It was our family's first trip to B-A-B and I would definitely go again as a special treat although I was quite surprised at how expensive it would have been without the voucher! Maybe I am just out of touch!

Duvetqueen Tue 03-Apr-18 20:22:25

We went to the closest shop to us which was at the White Rose centre in Leeds.

This is Fluffy the bunny, so called because she is soft and fluffy. Dd (7) would have happily had half the bears in the shop but picked this one because she liked the colour and how soft it is. Dd picked pjs (because she liked them) bunny slippers (because they're bunnies like Fluffy) and a sleeping bag (because dd has one and so they can be the same when she goes on sleepovers).

Dd wanted her little brother (5) to be able to share the treat so he picked Pikachu and a hoodie because its his favourite pokemon.

I would recommend build-a-bear workshop to friends as a birthday/Christmas treat. The bears are very good quality, as are the clothes/accessories, but it is very expensive and the cost quickly adds up. We spent £65 and dd could have spent a lot more on extra outfits and accessories.

The overall experience was brilliant. When we first went into the store a sales assistant told me about the different offers that were on for easter, star wars offers, which bears were in the sale and which ones were on a 2 for £22 offer. After that we were left to shop which was great as it didn't feel like we were being pressured to choose quickly or pick more expensive bears etc.

Both dcs loved stuffing their bears, especially cuddling them to see if they were soft enough but not too soft. They liked making the birth certificate (with help) and picking the clothes they wanted to make it personal to them. Dd already has a birthday list of clothes she'd like to get her bear.

There was some upselling with the sounds/scents/hearts but it didn't feel like there was any pressure to add them, more a "there's these options if you'd like".

Overall it was a great experience. The staff were helpful and friendly without feeling like they were constantly looking over your shoulder and the were brilliant with the dcs, the staff spoke to the children at their level instead of talking over them or directing everything to me. When we went there were a few people in the shop but not too many so it was a nice relaxed experience and we were able to look at everything before deciding n what to get. I could see it getting very crowded and more fraught if there were a lot of people in there and long queues but luckily it wasn't too busy when we went.

FreddieRocks Tue 03-Apr-18 20:37:03

We went to the Exeter store last week, before the local Easter holidays had started, so it wasn’t too busy. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful, and quickly identified us as rookies, so talked us through the entire process before we got started.

I’d had a look online before we went and mentally selected a simple bear, thinking my DS(almost 5) would be most in to the costumes. Shows how wrong you can be. We are now the proud owners of an enormous, bright yellow Pikachu (Pokemon) which DS chose almost immediately, and couldn’t be swayed from - he’s recently discovered Pokemon on Netflix! DS is absolutely thrilled with his new friend, complete with baseball boots and roller skates, and he’s been a constant companion since our visit.

I was really impressed with the whole experience. The staff did try to upsell, but they understood we wanted to maximise our voucher and preferably not spend too much more. They really weren’t over pushy and gave me a running total as we went around, which is great if you’re on a budget. As it wasn’t super busy they had time to spend with DS and he loved the whole building process, including ‘activating’ the heart before it was put in to the bear. As an activity to spend time with him, it was great. I’m not sure it’s something we’d do regularly as there’s no denying it’s pretty expensive, but as a special treat I think it’s definitely something we’d do again. That’s in no small part due to the lovely staff we encountered (special mention to Sophia) as they really made the whole thing for DS (and were very sweet with my somewhat feral 2 year old who was also running around at warp speed!).

I’d definitely recommend it to a friend, with warnings about expense and choosing a quiet time to visit the store. As a first time visitor I think it’s definitely worth checking out the website before you go to get an idea on what’s available and prices etc.

All in all thank you so much for the opportunity, which isn’t necessarily something we’d have thought of doing before, but I’m sure will do again. Having trouble uploading a photo, but will try again tomorrow!

outnumbered1234 Tue 03-Apr-18 22:07:17

We visited the Bromley store. My daughter is 5 and was so excited. She had never been to Build a Bear before and was desperate to go. She chose the unicorn. She really enjoyed the whole process of stuffing the bear, choosing a sound and the heart ceremony. The staff were great in the store. My daughter named the unicorn Rainbow Sparkle with a giggle sound. She also chose a dress, shoes, skirt and top. It was lovely to be encouraged to try the clothes on before purchase and my daughter loved the washing/grooming station.

I would recommend Build a Bear to a friend though it can get very expensive. My daughter is looking forward to another visit already as apparently Rainbow Spark needs a friend.

Sorry can't upload a photo at the moment hope to add this later.

BearBuilder Tue 03-Apr-18 22:52:32

Ds chose one of the valentines bears which were on a special offer, meaning we managed to get a dog too for just an extra £10 (I like a bargain!) both were scented with a sweet smell so DS has named his bear sweetie! He chose based on softness so each available bear had to be stroked before the final decision.

There was a lot of deliberation over outfits, older ds eventually settled on a schoolboy outfit and younger ds was very happy with a dinosaur hoody & red wellies- he loves wellies & dinos so was very happy!
3. Would you recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to a friend or family member? If so, why? Yes I think it's a nice experience for a special treat. Although it's not cheap I think the products were well made and it's a lovely thing for the Dc to do - Ds1 is very attached to his bear now!
4. How did you and your DC find the overall in-store experience? What were the highlights? It was nice, there was plenty of help on hand but no pressure selling, and no rushing you through the process although staff happily pointed us in the direction of different outfits etc.

DC have enjoyed swapping bear outfits since they got home, and cuddled them very night

jenniferl1983 Wed 04-Apr-18 01:49:27

I can't get my photo to upload so hope this link works instead pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ5ixHeX0AEptKK.jpg

DD is a massive My Little Pony fan so couldn't persuade her to pick a bear. DD chose a lavender scent for her Rainbow Dash as she knows it is a relaxing smell and perfect for when she is cuddling the toy in bed. Songbird Serenade plays The My Little Pony theme song. Tempest Shadow is a previous online purchase.

I'd definitely recommend Build-A-Bear Workshop to people. The in store experience was fun and the toys are of a high quality. I do agree with other testers that it is quite expensive, particularly if you have several children. We were fortunate that our local shop is an outlet and also had a sale on so the My Little Pony toys (minus accessories) were £15 each which is an excellent price so I'd recommend checking out offers/outlets to get more for your money.

The in-store experience was great. The shop was clean and well set out. I was a bit apprehensive that we would face lots of up-selling which I find awkward to say no to, especially with DD around but we weren't faced with any up-selling apart from the buy a gift voucher for a cheaper price offer.

The store was fairly busy despite being after 5pm but there were enough staff to assist if you needed help. DD loved helping with the stuffing (she got to work the pedal!) and the 'heart routine' of putting the heart in the air to help the pony fly fast and putting it on the ground to run fast.

DD loves her toys so much (Rainbow Dash came with us to Pizza Express the other day!) and we will definitely visit again.

mctrouser Wed 04-Apr-18 07:37:14

We visited Build A Bear in West Quay, Southampton on a very wet Bank Holiday Monday. The shop was very busy but we still had a really personal experience.

I used an additional voucher, found online (£10 off a £30 spend) so with £60, we were able to comfortably buy 2 bears; one each for my 5 and 3 year old.

They had a wonderful time choosing and building their animals. The 3 year old perhaps struggled with the concept of choosing a floppy animal skin but once her cat was stuffed (with her help), she had a fantastic time choosing accessories for it. Rather than clothes she chose a collar and lead and a food bowl. The 5 year old chose a t shirt and striking red wellies for her bear.

The birth certificates were fun to make and as for the boxes the animals were put in to bring them home, they were the icing on the cake. The 5 year old immediately wanted to colour it in when we got home and both of the animals have since lived in their boxes when not being loved upon and played with.

We had never been to Build A Bear before and I had fairly indifferent expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience - and that's what it was; a very personal experience for the kids (even the 1 year old who wasn't lucky enough to get a bear enjoyed watching everything going on!) which they will remember fondly. The staff were very helpful and enthusiastic without being at all overbearing or over the top.

Would definitely recommend as a special treat. We 'spent' a grand total of £59 which seems very extravagant for a couple of soft toys, and not something I would usually consider, but it was a lovely day out and the kids were thrilled with their bears!

Backinthetallgrass Wed 04-Apr-18 10:30:34

My son is a massive ghostbusters fan so he chose to make this teddy called ghostie. He loves his teddy so much.

He didn't customise it too much because he wanted to spend the money on lots of clothes. The class mascot at his school is from build a bear and one weekend he got it home and loved dressing it up. In this pic Ghostie the teddy is sporting a lovely marvel dress. It also has a ninja costume, trolls outfit and ghostbusters outfit amongst others.

I think build a bear is fantastic as a special treat but definitely a bit costly. I would buy from there again though as it is really good quality. My son is asking if he can pick more clothes next time he gets birthday money etc.

The highlights? Seeing my son walk around hugging his teddy with sheer pride on his face.

20ikeameatballs Wed 04-Apr-18 11:26:43

We finally made it to Build a Bear on Saturday - not my cleverest move as a Saturday lunchtime, in the Easter holidays, in the rain, was a bit busy.

See above!

We browsed the website beforehand to get an idea of what was available. He was very set on getting unicorn, particularly something from the My Little Pony range as he'd been getting into it thanks to Netflix recently. Once we were in the shop he immediately fixed on Twilight Sparkle (who was re-named Unikitty, because he's also massively into the Lego Movie!). While waiting for the filling machine, a friendly staff member asked us what noise we'd like inside Unikitty: my small one spurned the MLP theme songs and horse noises (I mean who wants a unicorn to sound like a horse?) and chose a TRex roar grin she's a fierce unicorn!

He decided to get the heart that beats for "big hugs".

We then spent a long time choosing accessories - it's not as easy to choose suitable ones for the ponies, particularly ones with wings like the one my son chose, as they get in the way of the dresses, backpacks etc. Thankfully he was really into getting her some shoes to "keep her feet safe" and there was a nice wide range of those to choose from - and we were encouraged to touch, play, try on, role play as much as we liked.

Yes - it was a good experience, we were there around an hour and didn't feel rushed despite it being very busy. The staff were really warm and engaging, and though my son wasn't choosing typical "boy" choices they never questioned his choice, but encouraged and chatted about it. The woman doing the toy filling was particularly friendly and my son loved controlling the machine!

My caveat would be that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with children or accompanying family members with sensory processing issues or who are non neuro typical. The store can be very over stimulating, with the noise of the filling machine, all the colours, textures of the toys. I think Build A Bear could really help parents by running quiet sessions, perhaps where the toy is chosen, the family leave for a quick tea break, and then toy filled while they're out of the store to minimise stress and anxiety?

I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be hard sell, and very expensive - but there are a good range of prices, good offers, and the accessories are very reasonable. My son really enjoyed it and wanted to play with Unikitty non stop afterwards, even managing to carry her box around town which is basically unheard of grin

We liked the computers to make a "birth certificate" - they all worked smoothly and the interface was simple and clear.

My only niggles are the fact that the price of the sound box wasn't displayed, and was presented as "what noise would you like?" rather than "would you like a noise, it's £x"; and that the process through the shop should be a clearer journey. Maybe a guide on the wall, presented as a story?

diamantegal Wed 04-Apr-18 12:25:01

2. We have two bears (although neither one is actually a bear!). A cat called Fluffy and Chase from Paw Patrol. DS wanted to get a bear for his cousin as well, so we agreed to limit the accessories so that we could get two bears. Fluffy the cat makes a meowing noise, and Chase has some clothes so that he was obviously from Paw Patrol - that already took us over the £50 so we left it there.

3. Yes, DS enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. My only concern would be around the cost. The experience is really all about customising your bear, and all of that comes at a cost. Fortunately, DS is 7 so understood that we were working to a budget - with younger DC I can see it being quite difficult to control how much you spend as it can add up really quickly. Very definitely a special occasion rather than a regular shopping option.

4. It would have been helpful if the website was updated - our nearest store (Kingston) is no longer there and has moved to a concession in the Bentalls department store, but is still showing as a store on the website - fortunately we remembered seeing it previously! Not sure if the concessions have quite the same range and space as the main stores, but we still found plenty we liked.
We went on a Thursday late-night shopping evening so the store was relatively quiet, although there was a party on at the same time. The staff were really good though so we didn't have too much hanging around, although I can imagine it being horrendous at the weekend - again, because it's a concession, there's not a huge amount of space to host the party plus general shoppers.
Highlight for me was seeing how much DS enjoyed the whole thing - he genuinely entered into the spirit of it, despite being at the top of the age range, and declared it "best day ever"!

aggga8 Wed 04-Apr-18 12:28:29

My dauther absolutly fall in love with her new shopkins bearsmile the bear is cute and lovely. Amazing shop, staff and experience. Definetly i will visit again and already i recomended the shop to my few friends.
Thank you!!!

hypercrazycat Wed 04-Apr-18 13:19:39

Meet Kisses and Dave. Our 5 year old and 3 year old went together so we topped up the money to share the experience. They had a 2 for £28 offer on bears so we steered them to bears in that range. They were both very overwhelmed by the amount of choice!
5 year old DD chose the Shopkins bear with a candy floss scent, "I love you' sound and a beating heart. She also chose some sunglasses and sparkly shoes.
3 year old DS chose the bunny with lavender scent and beating heart. He also chose some dungarees. He was quite keen on all of the sounds on the computer in store but we decided against a sound in the end as a bunny with Darth Vader breathing would be a bit terrifying! grin

The staff explained the process as soon as we entered the store, it was busy being easter holidays but we were not waiting around in queues. Loved the interactions with staff whilst stuffing the bears and the idea of kissing the heart before going into the bear is lovely.

I would definitely recommend as it was good fun, however it is very expensive for a teddy and some clothes. Easy to get carried away so have to be prepared to say no and negotiate with your children!

Children found it magical and have not left their new toys alone since.
DD thought it was brilliant, she is already talking about when she can go back for more outfits!
DS was a bit overwhelmed but enjoyed himself.

From a parents view it was very well organised and quite self explanatory (once the number system around the shop was pointed out to us!)

There was not too much upselling other than the option of back packs, boxes etc to take the bears home which we declined.

There were some adults in store without children who were using one of the two sound computers for a very long time, which caused a bit of a back up, but this was no fault of the store.

Both of my children especially enjoyed naming their bears at the computers. DD opted for one of the suggested names on screen, Kisses, DS chose to name his bunny Dave (after his grandad maybe?!)

We visited the Southampton store on 3/4/18 and were very grateful for the opportunity!

Wilberforce2 Wed 04-Apr-18 14:58:47

2. My dd who is 4 chose a Beary Fairy bear which the lady told us was one of their new bears. My dd loves anything to do with princesses or fairies and she took a long time deciding between the princess bear and the fairy one but the lady helping her choose was very patient and then said that she would give us some space and to take our time! The fairy won in the end because she decided that she didn’t like the crown on the princess but she couldn’t say why!! The bear is named Rosie which is no surprise because my dd loves that name (favourite programme is Everything’s Rosie on CBeebies)! It’s very rare to have £50 to spend in BAB and such a treat so we let her pick all of the little accessories, she chose the accompanying Beary Fairy sound which is really quite sweet and not too annoying which is good for us! She also chose the strawberry smell because it was “pink like the bear” and she loves strawberries but she didn’t want a beating heart so just had the plain fabric one that comes for free (which is a lovely touch). When it came to choosing clothing my dd knew exactly what she wanted! She chose a fairy dress and some pyjamas but didn’t want shoes because she was mainly going to be a bedtime bear!

3. Yes I would recommend it but it would definitely have to be for a special occasion though or if they have saved up pocket money as it works out quite expensive. I completely understand why it costs that much though as it isn’t just going into a shop and buying a stuffed toy, you get the whole experience.

4. We went to the shop in Lakeside (Thurrock) and my dd absolutely loved it, she took forever to choose a bear but we never felt as if we needed to hurry up. The shop was so busy and I did wish that we had managed to go before the Easter holidays started but dd was unwell, it was fine though just noisy and we were with my Sister who said that it’s nicer for the younger ones when the shop is quieter as the pace is a bit slower. Saying that my dd is fairly boisterous and had no issues with the noise or busyness! As we were choosing the outfits a member of staff got up onto a chair and said that everyone in the shop had to do the “build-a-bear pledge” which I thought was slightly odd and the poor woman struggled trying to get a shop full of over excited children to stop what they were doing and join in. My dd ignored this part and carried on brushing and blow drying her bear blush Overall the experience was great, my dd has had a fab morning and not only wants to go back but she also wants her 5th birthday party at BAB which I definitely wouldn’t have a problem with if the price isn’t too terrible!

Thank you so much!

Wilberforce2 Wed 04-Apr-18 15:02:14

So sorry I have no idea why my photos didn’t attach the my review. Trying again!

CorporeSarnie Wed 04-Apr-18 15:56:37

1. We went to Derby intu, and both children had a toy, one brown bear and one tan dog.
2. Ben the bear and Isla the dog. Think these are their vogue names of the week. Ben was chosen as youngest wanted a big brown bear, Isla joins a similarish bear and dog at home for eldest. Neither were keen on smells, we were concerned about how annoying noises might be/waking kids up so we steered away from that choice. Ben has a pair of shorts and a for engine T, as child is into Marshal and fire engines. Isla has a reversible tutu. We contributed £5 on top of the voucher.
3. Yes, although if we'd been paying ourselves I'd not have been as keen on having the two bears and outfits, as it's pretty expensive for a brief activity. The staff were very solicitous and appropriate in their giving the kids space and time to make decisions, and very patient.
4. The kids loved choosing from the gallery of bears, and liked seeing all the options. The clothes range was a bit overwhelming tbh! Advice on which items would work well for which bears/dogs/horses would have been useful there. The staff were great. The children really enjoyed the terminals for adding details to the birth certificates.

Sedona123 Wed 04-Apr-18 16:43:39

DS loves teddies, and had been asking for an Easter teddy, so was really excited to have won the voucher.

He chose a large teddy, which he has called Oscar, named after a dog that he loves. He didn't want any of the scents or sounds, but choose an Easter bunny outfit and matching slippers, some Avengers pyjamas, an Avengers sleeping bag, and a Santa hat.

I would definitely recommend Build-A-Bear. DS loved choosing his bear and accessories, and is already planning to buy more outfits for Oscar. Oscar apparently needs a few more daytime outfits and a football kit! Oscar sleeps in his sleeping bag on DS's bed every night, which is very cute.

Thanks Build-A-Bear and Mumsnet!

RandomUsers Wed 04-Apr-18 17:06:09

We went to the Bromley BAB workshop this morning and my little one had a fab time.

There was a small queue, even for that time of the day, but the excitement of making a bear made it all bearable.

She now has Kitty to add to her 'my little pony collection '.

She enjoyed picking the clothes, the heart and naming it. She even typed the certificate by herself grin. All in all it was a great day out. You have made a little girl so happy. Thank you.

FromageRay Wed 04-Apr-18 19:16:27

1.Please upload a photograph of your bear and any other photos of your in-store experience.
This is Bun-Bun, LO is on bunny overload since Easter. She wasn't a fan of the sounds but chose a scent; strawberry. I was a bit worried it would be sickly and overpowering but it's very subtle. Because of the voucher we were able to choose 3 outfits. LO opted for a fairy dress and shoes, a tutu and skirt, and pyjamas and slippers.
I probably would now, I've assumed the high price was down to the experience value but the bears and clothes seem well made and there's lots of variety.
We visited Lakeside today just after opening time, the store was v quiet and there were plenty of staff on hand. They spoke to LO throughout rather than me which made her feel a bit more special. She can be quite shy so we were happy to chose clothes ourselves but someone came to help 'try them on' with us.
It did feel a tiny bit rushed, I would have like a bit more browsing time to get the full experience but overall it was good fun and we will pop back occasionally for new outfits. V pleased not to have felt the hard sell I had anticipated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »