Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Read Mumsnetters’ feedback on the new Change4Life food scanner app

(335 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Jan-18 13:44:07

This is the feedback thread for the MNers who have been testing the Change4Life food scanner app.

Here’s what PHE has to say: “Without realising it we’re all eating too much sugar, saturated fat and salt. The new and improved ‘Food Scanner’ app is here to help you and your family make healthier food and drink choices. Simply scan the barcode of your food and drink to reveal what’s inside.”

Testers, please answer the below questions.

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app?
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app?
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app?
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?

All testers who give their feedback will be sent a £5 Amazon voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

bigarse1 Wed 04-Apr-18 19:40:43

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? yes I do
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? it was easy to use and helped the children to make good choices. I have 2 children with eating disorders and it is important that they understand food
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? yes I think so
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? we changed items which surprised us with the amount of sugar
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? it would be good if it showed alternatives

emmagough78 Tue 03-Apr-18 08:53:59

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?

Yes definitely

The kids loved to hear the squelchy fat sounds but I was craving being at how much fat was in some of the foods we had in our cupboard

Yes
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app?

I was buying chocolate bars for lunch
Bars, we scanned the bars with the app but the fat and sugar content was so high we decided to try some naurally pressed fruit bars instead

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?

It would be good if the app gave you a product swap choice

PenguinQueen Tue 03-Apr-18 00:10:06

1. Yes, better choice for snacks.
2. Was quick to scan and easy to use
3. Yes I will continue to use the app
4. I did not change any purchase choices
5. A lot of the foods I scanned were not available on the app. Would have liked to send a request for the item to be added when scanned.

Enigma222 Mon 02-Apr-18 10:54:57

Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
Yes I think it did help me make better choice and also made me aware of the choices I made in the past and present.
It was a fun way of finding out and getting the children involved too on the app.
Yes it is a very informative way of looking into what you buy and the amount of ingredients it contains.
I did not change my purchase choice but did learn how much contents it contained for certain ingredients.
I think the current design function is really good.

Anusia86 Sun 01-Apr-18 18:15:15

1. I tried it couple time but mostly the app told me that it couldn't find the product, so not very satisfied.

2. If it worked it was very quick to find out everything about the product I wanted to buy and I have changed my decision couple times.

3.Don't think so. Can find same info on every product packaging.

4. When it showed me amount of sugar that was in the specific product.

5. You need to add more products so everything can be scanned and I can get info straight away, otherwise it is useless.

Uzma01 Fri 30-Mar-18 21:50:54

1. A little. I don’t like buying lots of junk food anyway, and try to limit the types of snacks the kids can have. I think common sense is key to any purchasing decisions.
2. It’s easy enough to use and the items it recognises come up really quickly. The graphics accompanying the items are useful too.
3. Possibly, if I can remember to switch the app on whilst shopping.
4. If anything had a lot more sugar than I anticipated I would put it back.
5. It’s good that previously scanned items are saved. But I think it could do with increasing the amount of items in it’s memory as some things we scanned just didn’t yield any results.

midgetgem2211 Fri 30-Mar-18 10:18:37

Not really - to be honest I knew much of the information it showed me
Ease of use
Maybe if we are out and about and I wanted to double check something
There wasn't a time I changed my mind
More information about the product e.g. additives

MollyBloomYes Thu 29-Mar-18 22:30:03

Maybe a couple of substitutions but not as many as I was expecting there to be
My children really liked trying to line up the camera with the barcode! I liked that it was convenient as I always have my phone with me
Probably not. Most of the information I could just get from the food packaging. I was expecting more suggestions of what I could buy to make a healthier choice
Yes, I was surprised by the amount of sugar in one of my children’s ‘healthy’ snacks so I did swap that. I suppose that is an advantage to the app, it does make you double check things that you’ve previously assumed are ok because they have ‘organic’ on them or whatever
I think it would be helpful to have some further information about substitutions that could be made to make a healthier choice, as well as a bit more context as to what constitutes a ‘healthy’ amount of sugar/salt/fat when weighed against guidelines for adults and children. A section of recipes for snack ideas/lunches might be a good idea as well as I frequently make the worst choices when grabbing something quickly whilst out

leanneth Thu 29-Mar-18 14:36:02

Sorry for late reply here, I’d written answers to the original questions but must just not have ever submitted it. Here’s my responses to the new questions...

The Food Scanner app initially made me feel really bad about what I was eating and what I was feeding the children. I kept trying it on snacks, as in packaged snacks, which are mostly bad (red!). I’ve realised that I probably do use packaged snacks too often, for the convenience although I often give fruit as snacks too- which can’t be scanned - so we are not as bad as I first thought!

The colour coding made it easy to see quickly how good/bad something was.

Probably, although I am perfectly capable of reading the packaging myself, it’s quite nice to have a visual display on sugar cubes. The saturated fat dripping is disgusting, I think that’s the idea of it, but that’s what made me feel bad at first.

I try to give packaged snacks less often if we are in the house and save them more for when we are out and about.

Better links to fruit and veg snack alternatives. I wasn’t very inspired by the alternative snacks and drinks offered. Perhaps some more images of veg cut or presented in interesting ways, or even cooked differently, might be inspiring. Also one laternative said malt loaf but then malt loaf wasn’t entirely green!

MrsSquidney Thu 29-Mar-18 12:05:19

1. I don’t think so; although it was good to see the amount of sugar in each item
2. I enjoyed the ease of scanning products
3. i think once DS is old enough to understand I would use it with him to explain about sugar quantities
4. I didn’t
5. Nothing, but I’m sure I would if I use the app long term

Helen2385 Thu 29-Mar-18 11:48:16

Definitely, we started scanning lots of things we already had in the house. I was quite shocked at the levels of sugars/salts/fats in some of them. It helped us look for alternatives when we went shopping.
It was fun and easy to use and the kids could see very easily what was in their snacks. We also liked the link through to the website which gave plenty of healthy ideas.
Yes. It's helped us make better choices and swap certain products.
Munch bunch yogurts, wow so much sugar! We don't buy those any more, and beans we've swapped to a reduced salt and sugar option the kids don't seem to mind at all. We've made quite a few
Just getting as many items as possible on it, some bar codes we scanned weren't recognised. It was a bit disappointing for the kids when the info wasn't there.

prakattack Thu 29-Mar-18 11:24:43

Not particularly actually. i think we're already quite knowledgeable about hidden sugars (youngest DS is diabetic so I'm already well used to studying food labels! I also found that because Change4Life are only concerned about sugar, the app rated some things as "healthy" and "a great choice" which i wouldn't agree were like diet pop.
The kids loved zapping things in the supermarket but again, I wasn't convinced they were getting good messages from using it, so I stopped letting them use it as much.
No
No never.

shitwithsugaron Thu 29-Mar-18 08:57:10

1. Yes because it made me a lot more conscious of what was In food i was giving my child.

2. DD enjoyed holding my phone while I was scanning food and drinks so she felt involved.

3. Yes, because it was quite daunting how unhealthy some 'healthy' foods are.

4. I scanned a tin of baked beans at the supermarket, and changed to a tin with no added salt and sugar as a result because I was shocked at the content.

FizzySmiles Thu 29-Mar-18 07:45:54

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes it made me more aware of what was in the food.

2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? How clear it was too see. It wasnt confusing just numbers. The visual pictures made it understandable, even for my 4 year old.

3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Yes

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? None

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? None.

Dailymailaredicks Thu 29-Mar-18 01:04:16

Love this app, my DS asks to scan things and actively looks at salt and sugar levels.the visual representation is especially good and helps DS to understand it.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 28-Mar-18 22:43:57

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? *To some extent, yes. It helped me to prove to my children that there is more sugar in their food than they think.*
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? *11YO loved it but teens weren't really intetested.*
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? *Persuaded 11YO to choose a different drink.*
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? *Include information on ethical choices, eg foods containing palm oil.*

Mel0Dram4 Wed 28-Mar-18 20:58:19

Not really, I don't really agree with all the principles.
It was fun doing something together
Probably not tbh
None, I trust my own knowledge and opinions
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?activities for family exercise ideas

NerrSnerr Wed 28-Mar-18 19:41:45

I had an email as well. I'm sure I'd already done the survey but maybe I forgot. Done it today just in case.

Cagliostro Wed 28-Mar-18 19:35:01

I too had an email saying I hadn’t given feedback. I answered both sets of questions upthread on 4th February. I’m sure I already did an online survey too? But have done the brief one emailed just now anyway.

FizzySmiles Wed 28-Mar-18 18:52:45

I also havent had a voucher. Got an email today to say I haven't given my feedback. My post is on the first page x

gigglingbiscuit Wed 28-Mar-18 18:36:30

1. A lot of it was common sense but there were a few surprises!
2. It was super each to use and we didn’t find ANYTHING that didn’t scan.
3. Quite possibly to demonstrate if something is health or unhealthy.
4. Nutella! It was a great way to back up my view that it’s unhealthy just because it marketed as being healthy for having milk and nuts in it 🙄
5. Perhaps better links to suitable healthy alternatives/recipes

busybuildingdens Wed 28-Mar-18 18:33:43

So glad you posted Wine, as I hadn’t completed the survey! Hopefully that is why I haven’t received my voucher!

GingerKitCat Wed 28-Mar-18 17:42:57

Me too Wine blush

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes, it was really helpful to equate how many sugar cubes/salt sachets were hiding in each product.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Scanning barcodes and getting instant results as if by magic. The graphics were very informative and easy to understand.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? It was sobering to see how much sugar went into certain 'healthy' biscuits. We've swapped for fruit and veg snacks.
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Adding foods together to give a total sugar/fat.

WineIsTheAnswer Wed 28-Mar-18 17:29:05

Sorry for the very late reply, I responded to the survey and completely forgot about the thread.

1. I used it to help DCs make better choices with foods. Only things I would swap had sweeteners in instead, which is something I avoid.

2. DCs enjoyed scanning foods and comparing two items.

3. We have continued to use the app and found it helpful

4. I only used it on items we had already brought so didn't swap out but it's made me more conscious of the choices I make when buying.

5. Ability to change the portion size and add foods together to find the total sugar content.

MrsFig Mon 26-Mar-18 15:19:56

Same here, mine not arrived yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: