Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Read Mumsnetters’ feedback on the new Change4Life food scanner app

(335 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Jan-18 13:44:07

This is the feedback thread for the MNers who have been testing the Change4Life food scanner app.

Here’s what PHE has to say: “Without realising it we’re all eating too much sugar, saturated fat and salt. The new and improved ‘Food Scanner’ app is here to help you and your family make healthier food and drink choices. Simply scan the barcode of your food and drink to reveal what’s inside.”

Testers, please answer the below questions.

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app?
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app?
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app?
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?

All testers who give their feedback will be sent a £5 Amazon voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

wineandcheeseplease Fri 09-Feb-18 20:17:09

No voucher here yet. Was hoping to use it before my free prime trail runs out

livoh Sat 10-Feb-18 12:40:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lilyboleyn Sat 10-Feb-18 13:03:46

Oh I’m glad someone else asked about the voucher first... I didn’t know how long was too short a time before asking! Nothing here yet either and am regularly checking junk email folder.

misskatamari Sat 10-Feb-18 18:56:12

Nope, no voucher here yet either x

aristocat Sun 11-Feb-18 09:45:36

Any news about the voucher yet?
MNHQ do you have an update for us pleasesmile

hupiv Sun 11-Feb-18 12:01:11

Cagliostro Sun 11-Feb-18 12:02:28

Takes a special kind of muppet to try spamming on a thread run by MNHQ hmm grin

MirandaWest Sun 11-Feb-18 22:17:36

I was wondering about the voucher too.

Havetohaveanewchufffingaccount Mon 12-Feb-18 09:02:24

I too have not received the voucher

cluckyhen Mon 12-Feb-18 11:26:42

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? - No, I already have a good grasp of what is high in fat and sugar BUT I do think it made the teens stop and think as they used it more than me.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? I liked the fact that foods that my children will argue as healthy actually showed up as some alerts to them. For once mum had the backing smile I think it is an ideal app for teens to show them that healthy choices are easy to make.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? I'm not sure that I will as I follow quite a strict training schedule that include a training diet but I will encourage my teens to use it.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? N/A
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Pass

MoltenChocolateBabycake Mon 12-Feb-18 17:25:39

1. If you usually manage or monitor your family’s intake of sugar, how do you do this?
Trying to use common sense and choose fruit and veg for most snacks instead of processed foods

2. How much would you say that you know about the sugar content in foods generally?
Quite a lot, I am interested in balancing my family’s diet

3. Do you think the Change4Life app has helped you to understand the sugar content in your foods?
Yes but it doesn’t look at overall nutrition ie dried fruit is high in sugar but also has nutrients rather than empty calories. It is an easy way to check though and makes it more fun for the children to learn about sugar

4. What have you learned while testing the app?
Nothing but the children are learning about why we don’t eat too much sugary food

5. When testing the app, was there anything that shocked you?
No

PipLongStockings Tue 13-Feb-18 14:23:13

Going to write review from the children's point of view

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
Yes allowed children to see different options and to pick from those, encouraging green for good choices.

Fun, colourful, interactive and technology based which is always a hit with kids.

Yes when children accompany food shop which is not often

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app?
Comparisons of 2 (or more) foods from same group to sway children to choose lower sugar varieties.

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?
Probably a short lived app which as they learn best foods wouldn't need to be used again.

MrsFig Tue 13-Feb-18 14:43:10

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? It made me more aware of sugar content in some of the snacks we have for my DD but there wasn't data available for some of the items I scanned.

2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? It was really easy to use and showed clear results.

3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Possibly if more products data was available and maybe alternative suggestions available in app

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? I reduced the amount of dried fruit given to my DD

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? In app alternative snack ideas based on the type of snacks scanned. More data available - I don't think any of the snacks that the app found had a full set of data.

Shelbert75 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:55:38

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? It just made us more aware of what was in what we're eating.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? My daughter wanted to scan absolutely everything. I liked the wee images that came up.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Probably not the last few items we tried to search didn't work.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Nope
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Perhaps an option to save what snacks you've eaten that day or week.

TaylorJade77 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:56:18

TaylorJade77 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:00:03

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:09:10

As someone else has already said- it takes a particular kind of numpty to spam a thread that’s run by mnhq, taylorJade77.

Cakeorchocolate Tue 13-Feb-18 15:22:52

MNHQ when will the vouchers for giving feedback be issued please? Thanks

SpunBodgeSquarepants Tue 13-Feb-18 16:12:10

No but I know which food choices are healthier anyway, I think. May help someone who doesn't know a bit more.
Sounds harsh but - nothing really! It's not really what I'd call an 'enjoyable' app to use.
No.
I buy healthy foods anyway so app did not help me.
Nothing really - it does it's job will enough.

purplepandas Tue 13-Feb-18 16:13:04

. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
Definitely. Anything that makes you aware and actively thinking about sugar intake is good.
Ease of use. The children enjoyed using it when shopping. The sugar cubes were a nice touch (and scary to see!)
Yes, I like it.
Less about purchases and more about what we have at home. More fruit!
Nothing I can think off right now.

Jackyjill6 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:13:38

1 It didn't make any difference to be honest.
2 It had a novelty factor
3 I was hoping other family members would continue to use it but I don't think they will
4. Didn't happen
5. Would be more useful to have amounts of salt/sugar per portion

BadlyWrittenPoem Wed 14-Feb-18 20:40:57

No. It told me that my cashews were "high in sat fat and sugar" and to make a healthier choice and when I scanned a kg tub of cashew butter (no added salt) it went crazy over the fat because it is based on the packet size and it told me I should spread peanut butter thinly because it is high in "sat fat and salt". And for sultanas it just told me they were one of my five a day and can cause tooth decay which I knew already. I was very disappointed by the limited information and the irritating animations and the basing of figures on pack size as it made it all very useless and the peanut butter comment on the cashew butter shows it hasn't all been done accurately.
Nothing. The animations were irritating and the graphics did little to help with gauging quantities.
Definitely not. I gave up pretty quickly as it was useless irritating and inaccurate.
Never.
Accurate information. More nutritional information. Information based on sensible quantities rather than pack size. Graphics to be proportional so that it gives a visual comparison between different foods. Get rid of animations.

Trytowin Thu 15-Feb-18 13:19:02

**1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?

Not really it's very one sided! It should be more like mfp giving positives/more info too e.g vitamin content, protein content

The tech available though it does seem to be in its infancy with the app as there is no history that I could find also some attention to detail would be good rather than saying full fat milk = bad it could say little children can have a little more iyswim. Nutrition is more than calories/sugar

I have coeliac so I read labels anyway so personally probably not unless extra features added

N/a

Better 'swaps' some of the swaps are flogging a dead horse and others were not even related to the meal what I was looking at!

It's a blunt tool and could help if it had more shades of grey (e.g did you know a pack of chips from the chippy is X, but a bag of sweet potato wedges or jackets is X)

dstill1964 Thu 15-Feb-18 16:59:33

1: yes it’s a good idea but not sure if people would have that amount of commitment

dstill1964 Thu 15-Feb-18 17:02:59

2: Was easy to use and the kids love a bit of tech .
3:Not sure
4: I didn’t but it was great to have that info to hand
5: Id recommend it to small families but statistically a nightmare to use constantly for me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: