Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Read Mumsnetters’ feedback on the new Change4Life food scanner app

(335 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Jan-18 13:44:07

This is the feedback thread for the MNers who have been testing the Change4Life food scanner app.

Here’s what PHE has to say: “Without realising it we’re all eating too much sugar, saturated fat and salt. The new and improved ‘Food Scanner’ app is here to help you and your family make healthier food and drink choices. Simply scan the barcode of your food and drink to reveal what’s inside.”

Testers, please answer the below questions.

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app?
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app?
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app?
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?

All testers who give their feedback will be sent a £5 Amazon voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

FingerlingUnderling Mon 29-Jan-18 12:35:09

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
Yes. For example, I buy Rude Health Almond milk to have in porridge and had not really thought about the intrinsic sugar content. I mean, how much sugar does an almond have in it?! Porridge is just as fine with plain water and I shall probably avoid it now. I was however surprised by the results on some things. For example, I scanned Frube Pouches, convinced alarms and bells would ring at the high sugar content but the pouches were lauded as an example of the 100cal snack.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? DD enjoyed ranging round the kitchen randomly scanning the food we had in and it was a good focus in Lidl for DD to scan the foodstuffs. It was easy for her to understand and, being rule bound little being, it encouraged her to choose some healthy snacks (but no app can prevent the pull of a jammy dodger apparently).
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Yes I will.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? I will not be buying almond milk and will stick with water!!
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? I liked the link to healthy recipes but to be honest the recipes could be a little less lentil weavery.

frumpyheron Mon 29-Jan-18 12:44:42

I think it will. I think as my kid grows up it’ll help him too. And probably most helpful for my husband!

The animation and noise! My toddler loves scanning things in the supermarket! Great to think a bit more thoroughly about what we’re eating.

Yes. Even more so when more things are added.

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app?
Helped me compare peanut butters and salt per serving. Will change my purchase next time - have a big tub to work through first!

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app?
What about suggesting other healthy alternatives?

jacqui5366 Mon 29-Jan-18 12:52:16

I installed this on my samsung galaxy.

Yes, it was quicker than reading the labels whilst rushing around the supermarket aisles. It instantly showed me what was in the product without getting out my reading glasses. It has saved my money, and made me think much more about was is hidden in our food - especially juices and sauces, all of which I have now changed since using the App.

We loved the graphics on the screen which showed us the sugar content of food, and it made food swaps easier to make and easier to put on my families plates as the sugar mountain in the breakfast cereal was astonishing, but it was so easy to convince and implement the change.

Yes, in the short term, once I have established a regular basket of grocery shopping.

I picket up a jar of pasta sauce, which had 6.4 grams of sugar in and when this is shown as sugar cubes, I checked a supermarket own brand which had significantly less, and tasted just as nice (1.29 cheaper too)

Maybe recipe ideas, and supermarket swaps particularly Aldi and Lidl, and make it clearer what salt/sugar/calories are in a portion rather than the full pack. Maybe if possible a 'totaliser' of how many calories, money, and grams of sugar you have swapped over the use of the app.

DodecahedronCat Mon 29-Jan-18 13:05:22

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes definitely
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Quick and easy, no need to click through any pages like on MyFitnessPal, when you open the app it’s striah into the scanner which is good for shipping
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Yes
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? When buying “healthy” snack bars like granola bars, shocked at how much sugar is in them!
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? None i thought I was great

Havetohaveanewchufffingaccount Mon 29-Jan-18 13:43:44

Yes, I was certainly more aware when selecting snacks etc.

The 'technology attraction' also my 13 year old was shocked at the sugars in some of his foods

Yes, I am also a family support worker and will use this is my healthy diet work with family's

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Cereal- switched from weatabix to Tesco value

Not sure- I'm still in love with it!

Iamthemotherofdragons Mon 29-Jan-18 13:45:17

Yes, it made me think about how much sugar is in foods that I would normally give much thought to. I talk to my eldest daughter about how much salt and sugar is in different foods but it was nice that we could talk about how healthy foods are using the app as it felt like it wasn’t just coming from me.

Once my eldest daughter had learnt how to use the scanner she had great fun trying it out on different products that we have in the cupboard.

Yes as it’s very handy having it on my phone.

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? It made me choose a different dessert for my children as the one we were going to choose was very sugary.

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? None that I can think of.

starlight36 Mon 29-Jan-18 13:58:45

1. The Food Scanner app helped me appreciate exactly how much sugar is in some of the snacks I knew weren't great.
2. The visual piling up off the sugar cubes and the dramatic clicking sound of the sugar cubes helped to show my children just how bad some of their snacks are. It also helped them to see just how some of their snacks compared with each other.
3. Yes we will definitely continue to use the app. There were a few snacks we regularly consume duchess weren't yet included on the app.
4.i think I am pretty unlikely to buy many more Cadburys Creme Eggs as nearly 7 sugar cubes in one small egg is too high.
5. Continuing to add the number of products covered with the app would help to improve the app. Having a section on the app which suggests alternative snacks which are healthier would be great.

Flabbermingo Mon 29-Jan-18 13:58:55

Not really as i cook from scratch so use many ingredients rather than ready made, I think processed food should be enjoyed in moderation
It's visually appealing and simple
I'm not sure, I don't think obsessively checking food labels is helpful and I wouldn't want to encourage my child to count calories
No
If it could vibrate or beep or flash when it picks up a bar code that would help.

mayago Mon 29-Jan-18 14:00:08

Yes. Though it may have been a bit of a mistake scanning foods we already had in the house..

I enjoyed suggestions for alternatives. That was really handy when out shopping! My partner and I also made it a bit of a competition when deciding between two products - which would be worse for you based on the scanner's information!

Yes, it has made shopping more interesting. It's kept my OH's interest whilst going around the shops.

I have put things back I was intending to buy; mostly chocolate or things I knew were unhealthy, but seeing them as cubes of sugar reinforced the decision not to buy. Pasta sauce is also an interesting purchase now, and unfortunately I haven't been able to buy what's on offer since having the app!

I was a little disappointed there weren't more options included in the baby food aisle. This is really where I was hoping to make use of this app, as I am more concerned about my daughter's sugar intake than mine.

Sammyislost Mon 29-Jan-18 14:16:02

Yes, for example, because it made us aware that there are 18 cubes of sugar in one bag of sweets that each child would have usually eaten during a cinema trip....instead, they only had some of the bag. I couldn't let them eat all those sweets while seeing it clearly like that.

It was easy for the kids to use the app, and scan food and drinks themselves. It's clear and easy to understand.

Yes actually. I think it will make us pick healthier choices. I find it very difficult as we LOVE sweet treats, so hopefully we can use it to find smarter choices.

The kids wanted a chocolate milkshake, the app said it contained almost 13 cubes of sugar...instead, they now sell a reduced sugar option containing under 5 cubes, and the kids shared it!

Hmm, I think the app is great. I like that you can look back at previous scans too. Perhaps a daily sugar/calorie counter so users can track what they've actually had, and maybe the app can tell you how much exercise you'd have to do to work off that number of calories.

hootatoot Mon 29-Jan-18 14:29:31

. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
No, since a lot of the products I scanned weren't in the database yet. I found this frustrating since there are many other app that use this technology such as my fitness Pal which will scan them
It was easy to use and the message was clear on those it did scan
No

I didn't
Make sure that the database covers most products (eg soreen wasn't in there, not really an obscure product)

LoudestRoar Mon 29-Jan-18 14:47:58

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes, especially my 5 year old. He loved telling me which food was healthy.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Easy to use and the information is very clear.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Yes, definitely.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? I sometimes by Ds a make your own snack wrap, but the amount of salt put me off.
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? If something isn't on the app, it could be sent to the makers when it's scanned to be added. Also, an alternative product to replace the one you've scanned.

yasminakh Mon 29-Jan-18 14:55:39

Yes definitely, I was clearly able to see the sugar in the foods I was buying, which helped me to avoid some sugary foods.

Its ease of use.

Yes, It is very quick and easy to use.

Yes, when I noticed the sugar was very high in some products , I avoided the item and instead chose a healthier option.

hmm... I can't really think of any.

Grumpus21 Mon 29-Jan-18 15:17:22

It definitely made me more aware of how sugar can be hidden inside something you wouldn't naturally associate with having it in.
Easy to use, recognised everything I scanned.
If I'm out doing a shop I would compare products to see which would be healthier.
After scanning ketchup I switched to a healthier version.
Maybe having an automatic healthier alternative if you scan something that's high in sugar or fat.

BrawneLamia Mon 29-Jan-18 16:07:10

Maybe - I do most of my shopping online so by the time I have the product in my hand to scan it is too late. It might make me think twice before buying certain products again.

Nice graphics, easy to understand.

I'm not sure, the novelty wore off quite quickly. There were also a lot of products it didn't recognise. It also couldn't be used on products where the barcode was missing or torn - a search function would help with this.

I was surprised that Nairn's Oatcakes, which are marketed as healthy, were actually very high in salt. I often give these as a snack to the children, thinking that they are a health option. Although the figure given by the app didn't match the amounts on the packaging, so I'm not sure which is more accurate.

The app is OK for what it is, but its function is quite limited and the novelty soon wore off. It would be more useful if the app could add up what you have eaten and show your daily consumption of sugars, fats etc. It would also be helpful if it showed the salt/sugar/fat levels in a product compared to other products of the same type. It isn't really news to me that a packet of crisps was salty, but if the app said they were salty in comparison to other brands of crisps, it might make me think twice.

Nightfall1983 Mon 29-Jan-18 16:17:27

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? No, I am quite capable of reading the nutrient/calorie information on packaged food and drink and find the traffic light system to be plenty enough guidance if I'm in a rush
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? It's always fun 'scanning' things. We also guessed how many sugar lumps are in things
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? No, I just don't see the point in it I'm afraid. It was fine, no problems with it but didn't actually provide anything for us
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? None
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? For someone who is on a diet then tracking food via the app might be useful? Maybe restaurant meals like "How many sugar cubes in a big mac?"

WheresTheCoffee Mon 29-Jan-18 16:24:53

Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? It raised my awareness, I chose lower salt baked beans.
What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? My daughter enjoys the zapping, but I find it too loud really.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? I might do, if I can't easily see the info I want on the label.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? As above
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app. I struggled to turn the zapper volume down, so an easier option to do this would be nice. Otherwise, I found it user friendly and the infographics are very clear.

gemsi Mon 29-Jan-18 17:44:45

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? I would say so yes, I mean it was there in front of you whether something was healthy or not so it was easy to make a choice of no, this isn't really good for us at all or yes, we can give this a go. Everyone has their treat days as a family and overall a balanced diet is what is important but it definitely helps you put things into perspective.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Just the fact you could find out so quickly how much sugar, salt, sat fat and calories are in items that you are considering to buy or already have in the cupboard. You can then use this info to make a rational decision as to whether you want to buy it for your family or not.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Possibly yes, if I have to pay for it then I will still think about it for sure.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Yoghurts, I went from something a bit more natural.
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Maybe recipes you can make with such items you scan or scan a few items and it comes up with a good healthy meal idea.

Lotstodo Mon 29-Jan-18 17:52:17

Yes, as it is easy to compare similar products to see the contents. As others have said though - common sense makes it obvious too.
It can be turned into a Top Trumps type of game!
Yes, I think I will. It is so easy to use and the results can be quite surprising.
Looking at drinks, I thought how much sugar there was, so just opted for water.
A feature that lets me know, quickly and easily, at a glance,what the most healthy option is of that particular product.

megjoe1 Mon 29-Jan-18 18:37:32

. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
Yes, it definitely made us think about what we were eating and drinking.
It was bright, colourful and informative. We especially like the sound effects.
Yes I think we probably will.
We tried the app whilst shopping and I'm sure it influenced our shopping choices.
Maybe something linked to how much exercise you would need to do to burn off the calories or more suggestions for healthier alternatives and recipe ideas.

Treadlightly Mon 29-Jan-18 18:46:14

It did a little. I’m trying to reduce the whole family’s sugar intake but we do eat a lot of it! It helped me see which sugary snacks to avoid.

It was fun to use & very visual. It was easy to use - my 8 year old enjoyed using it!

Maybe not every day but will try & use it when we can.

We looked at a few differently snack bars in the supermarket & opted for the one with less sugar.

Sametak Mon 29-Jan-18 19:41:20

1. I don’t monitor but not that much into sweet stuff
2.I genuinely pick up products which are low in sugar, I make sure nothing with glucose fructose syrup goes to trolley
3.I didn’t think it was very good application, was pretty simple, lacking more depth and information
I would rather avoid sweeteners than sugar to be honest
4.Not much
5.No

shitwithsugaron Mon 29-Jan-18 20:38:52

1. Yes I do, I found especially for me it was quite scary seeing the levels of salt and sugar.

2. DD is only 2 but she enjoyed holding my phone or the product for me to scan it.

3. Yes we all will, mostly because I thought I was quite strict with what DD eats sugar/salt wise and it turns out I'm actually not at all!

4. In Tesco the other day we used the app to check the sugar levels of tomato ketchup, and while I know the 'reduced sugar' is labelled it was also still interesting to see the difference.

Cakeorchocolate Mon 29-Jan-18 22:06:02

1 - I don't monitor sugar intake specifically. I try to have some awareness and make low sugar choices but that requires a good amount of battling my will power!! I do monitor overall intake using MyfitnessPal app.

2 - I didn't enjoy it to be honest. Not when compared to the app I already use to monitor overall intake.

3 - Not routinely. I will occasionally I expect - when I'm fighting the urge to eat something I already know is not good for me.

4 - None that jump out at me

5 - There needs to be a much larger database of foods. A substantial amount of things I tried to scan were not recognised.
Also it's not very good at actually scanning. It's slow and takes multiple attempts to focus (again compared to the other app I use which is very good at this)
Should be able to search by typing an item in, not just barcode scanning. Especially as often multipack items don't have barcodes on individual packets.
Personally I would prefer an image of a container of sugar or empty bag of sugar filling with the amount rather than sugar cubes. Or teaspoons even. I don't find the sugar cubes helpful.
Being able to record intake would be good too.
Sometimes the per recommended portion values are not shown, it's helpful to have them.

In my opinion it has potential but there are better apps available at the moment. It needs a lot of improvement to become my first choice app.

Sierra259 Mon 29-Jan-18 22:44:34

Yes. Seeing the levels of sugar/salt definitely made me consider how often I would choose to give my DC certain snacks.

My eldest loved using the scanner and the visuals of the sugar cubes and salt were a great way to show them which foods were not so good for them.

Yes

Buying plain rice cakes instead of the flavoured ones

The scanner took a bit of fiddling with to get it to work. I was surprised at some of the products that weren't in the database. Also, giving the salt/sugar per portion would be more useful than telling me the value of a pack of 6 snack bars or a whole box of cereal.

RemoveAllPicturesOfRon Mon 29-Jan-18 23:04:06

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes, sometimes - it certainly made me more aware of the choices I made.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? It’s quite fun! DD enjoyed using the scanner and seeing it identify the foods.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Maybe, although the traffic lights on most foods are pretty useful too.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Not really, it just made me think about what I bought in general.
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Not sure.

Azra12 Tue 30-Jan-18 04:26:39

Yes, especially with fruit squashes and smoothies

It was great to show my kids how much sugar was in things which were marketed as "healthy"

Definitely!!! Its made me realise how much hidden sugar and salt there is actually in things

Both my little ones enjoy drinking innocent smoothies which we thought were quite healthy but after looking at the sugar content it has changed our minds

We were unable to scan certain products such as baby food, would be great to see how much sugar is in these products too

Gembo78 Tue 30-Jan-18 07:10:16

1.I try to encourage fruit and vegetables as snacks. I try to avoid too many processed foods.
2. I’m always shocked at how much sugar there is in foods that I would have considered savoury.
3. The app was fun and interesting. The children liked using it. For me a healthy diet is about a balanced diet - including low sugar.
4. That sugar is in all processed food and I will continue to avoid it as much as possible.
5. That food with sweetners in was recommended as an alternative. This is surely no better. I would prefer to avoid these foods.

pollywiggle Tue 30-Jan-18 08:31:11

Yes, by highlighting items that had high/med levels of salt/ sat fats etc we would eat fewer of them (e.g. Veggie sausages, not as healthy as thought).
Fun and easy to use. Graphics clear, child-friendly.
For fun only, not daily basis or at supermarket.
No, the app did not suggest an alternative and we chose just to eat less of an item rather than not at all.
It would be good to have suggestions of healthier alternatives. Also, the info was per pack rather than per portion.

1969angep Tue 30-Jan-18 10:08:34

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Hmmmmm probably not if I'm honest. I think we have a reasonable understanding of what's good/bad and still but bad stuff anyway!
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? I love how visual it is - seeing those sugar cubes/sachets of salt stack up is quite shocking sometimes. It was a great way of demonstrating to my son about sugars in some of his favourite foods
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Maybe. We tend to buy a reasonably small range of foods so once we've used the app to weed out the bad stuff it would get less use. I think I would tend to use it on stuff like sauces etc where hidden sugars lurk
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? It's a minor thing but I did buy Tesco own brand instead of Frosties as they were much lower in sugar than the branded cereal (albeit still not a good choice though!)
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? I'd love a little siren to go off or flashing red lights on a bad choice - this would really help me dissuade the 6 year old from some his worse choices!

danigrace Tue 30-Jan-18 14:51:28

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes probably, the fat / sugar / salt "stacking" with accompanying noises was a bit off putting!
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Clear and easy to understand information with bold appealing colourful presentation
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Probably
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Not applicable yet as we shop online
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? More products added - some standard items were not found; and improved scanner - after trying to smooth and angle on shiny packets for a couple of minutes I sometimes gave up

muffinheaven Tue 30-Jan-18 15:03:02

Yes a little bit. It made us consider our choices more, some things we just went ahead and ate/drank anyway as we like them but others it made us rethink whether we really wanted it now we knew how much sugar/salt was in it.

It was easy to use and provided quick, easy to read information.

Yes we probably will.

I bought a very cheap orange squash as a one off once as the hi juice wasn't on offer. My DC and DH all loved it but I wouldn't buy it again as I considered it unhealthy. We scanned it in the supermarket and it actually came out as a healthier choice than what I had been buying so we are back to the cheap one !!

Just to add more products, quite a few items we scanned were not found.

Abis04 Tue 30-Jan-18 16:49:58

Yes... I was surprised with the nutritional value of some of our ‘normal’ choices
My kids liked getting involved with the scanning and traffic light-ing
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? We took it to our normal supermarket and challenged ourself
More products - lots werent listed. Also an option to choose a smaller portion (i would make my kids share a packet of crisps for example)

TooSleepyToCare Tue 30-Jan-18 17:18:04

Yes, especially when dealing with my DS. I really like the visual aid in the scanner. My DS was shocked when I showed him the big pile of sugar cubes, for example, on a box of cereal he wanted me to buy. So at least it isn't just me and DH saying no and being mean.

My DS really enjoyed using it to scan everything in our cupboard to see what had big piles and what had smaller piles. He loves my phone so the fact that he was allowed to use it for the scanner was a huge hit! It made being healthier more fun and a lot easier to try and explain.

3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? I will put the app on my tablet for my DS to use and hopefully this will keep him interested in health and diet. Something I wish I had been more informed about as a youngster who now suffers very badly with weight issues as a grown up.

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? When shopping recently with my DH and DS we used the app to help make a decision on a breakfast cereal for my DS. We always look at the traffic light graphic on the box but this was a lot easier for him to understand as the pile of sugar etc changed depending on what we scanned.

an increased database of products.

BlueTablecloth Tue 30-Jan-18 17:20:46

Mumsnet

Talk Product tests
First Prev

Next Last2
This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com
Read Mumsnetters’ feedback on the new Change4Life food scanner app133
25/01/2018 13:44 JustineBMumsnet

This is the feedback thread for the MNers who have been testing the Change4Life food scanner app.

Here’s what PHE has to say: “Without realising it we’re all eating too much sugar, saturated fat and salt. The new and improved ‘Food Scanner’ app is here to help you and your family make healthier food and drink choices. Simply scan the barcode of your food and drink to reveal what’s inside.”

Testers, please answer the below questions.

Maybe made me think a little more whilst doing the test

5yr old enjoyed the novelty value of it
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? No
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? No
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? For me I'd like much less simplistic nutritional advice. But I imagine this goes against the whole change for life thing 😉

sharond101 Tue 30-Jan-18 17:21:04

Additional questions, I bought own brand yogurts as these were lower in sugar than the branded ones we buy and I'd like to see recommendations on alternative brands or choices when a high sugar item is selected.

mummyofcutetwo Tue 30-Jan-18 17:27:17

Yes, I think it did - and will continue to.

It’s quite fun zapping things! It’s easy to see how good or bad something is for you.
I did get very frustrated in the shop though as I couldn’t get it to work. Even at home a lot of things wouldn’t scan, but those that would scan scanned quickly when I scanned my online shop while putting it away!
I’m going to get my DCs to guess whether things are better or worse using the app - a bit like Bruce’s The Price is Right!

Yes I will. Provided more things are added.

I can’t really as I’ve had most success with scanning once out of the supermarket, which has rather defeated the object of the exercise! If Mumsnet could campaign to get supermarkets to give better and more consistent Wi-fi then that would be great!

A warning symbol for things that contain sweeteners. They make my DC1’s asthma much much worse so I avoid them wherever possible.
Keep on the good work with adding things to it please!

amiijoanne Tue 30-Jan-18 17:27:17

No. I don't think I used it enough at the time. It would be more useful to use this whilst out shopping, but this requires having plenty of time to compare products.

I don't think it's an app I particularly enjoyed using.

Probably not. I tend to forget to use it.

No. There wasn't an incidence where this happened.

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app
I can't think of any at this time

HuggleBear Tue 30-Jan-18 17:28:18

I think it made me not take the unhealthy choices!
I liked the simplicity of it. DC liked the sugar cubes falling down.
Yes definitely.
Particularly with cereal. I usually get a choice of what I thought was healthy options. Porridge all the way now.
Suggestions for alternative, healthier bersions of foods would be good.

HowsAnnie25 Tue 30-Jan-18 17:28:36

I think all the questions have changed and I can't find my original reply to check - I'll answer these ones now

No as I order food online so I was testing things we had already bought

My daughter liked looking at alternatives. We made one of the nhs recipes at the weekend.

Yes we will now and again, mainly out of interest - BUT a lot of items we scanned were not registering as there was no information and I'm talking big brands like Innocent.

I haven't as I kind of know how to have a balanced diet.

It needs to have more foods in there! Also sometimes it wasn't clear to me if they were saying no that's bad to the whole multipack or the individual item. Example - I bought a 3 pack of kinder eggs as a treat. I know they are not a healthy treat but there's hardly any chocolate and only 110 calories per egg and the app was well angry!! It came up as a 3 pack but I wasn't sure if the info being shown was per unit or for all 3!

gym Tue 30-Jan-18 17:30:42

I used to have this app on my samsung phone but i couldn't download it onto my new one plus phone!
Its quite good to use while u do your shopping and see how much sugar all the products have
I still have it on my samsung and hopefully i an get it on my new phone as well
I actually reduced the smoothies for my kids and be more careful of what i buy, especially snacks! I noticed a lot of brand name snacks have more sugar and salt contact
Maybe international foods?!?!

Rainboho Tue 30-Jan-18 17:35:42

Hey! You can’t just change the questions! Do we have to keep answering questions when they change to get the £5 voucher @mnhq?

lyndseyh78 Tue 30-Jan-18 17:38:50

Yes I think that the fact that the app is so easy to use so I can use it while shopping will help me make healthier choices, also I think it will help educate my children to make healthier choices too when they scan things while out shopping or at home

The fact that like I previously said it’s so easy to use even my 5yo can use it and she does she scans everything! I love that it’s so informative and I will continue to use it while shopping to make healthier choices

Yes

Yes while buying yoghurts for school we out back the ones e normally buy and bought natural yoghurt instead and they kid took it to school with some chopped up fruit instead

Old quote like to be able to link it to my online supermarket account so I can make healthier choices while shopping online 😋

HermanCakeDestroyer Tue 30-Jan-18 17:40:17

Yes, I found it useful testing fruit juices and cereals in particular and it would affect my choices.
My family and I all enjoyed using this app. My children loved scanning everything in sight (including my wine!!) and telling me how unhealthy it was!!
It is still on my phone and I’ve recommended this app to various colleagues at work.
I changed my cereal from banana weetabix to regular weetabix as it was much lower in sugar.
More barcodes working. I noticed a lot of the cheaper foods in supermarkets didn’t work but it would be helpful if they did. This is a great, quick glance information tool for parents. This will help get the nation eating healthier!

librarypictures Tue 30-Jan-18 17:40:46

Missed off the last question from my earlier post - re q5 improvements I suppose a wider range of products available to scan. A few items didn't show.

Noodleeoodledoodles Tue 30-Jan-18 17:41:24

1. The app stopped me consuming certain snacks. I didn't choose a healthy alternative though.
2. Convenience and unbiased information. It's very user-friendly. My daughter enjoyed the sound of the sugar cubes stacking up 😕
3. I will probably use the app again in the future.
4. I didn't change any purchase choices. Our weekly shop is from Aldi and the app didn't seem to recognise any of their barcodes.
5. I think more brands/products could be added although I do appreciate there's a lot already there. Also suggestions for healthy alternatives would be a bonus.

librarypictures Tue 30-Jan-18 17:48:30

Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? It hasn't changed my selections - already fairly healthy but it does reinforce the correct choices.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? It was quite fun to have a visual of how much sugar contained in items
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Probably won't continue to use as uses precious memory on my phone - like to have a wide variety of apps on my phone.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Haven't changed choices as a result - already quite healthy
5 can't think of any improvements

agnelcarol Tue 30-Jan-18 17:51:32

Yes, but that was only after it started working!!! It gave me a lot of grief in the beginning, as it refused to scan anything.
The family loved the fun of actually using my phone to scan every food item within visible distance!
Yes, definitely, as it is very informative and makes me feel good when I pick the healthier options, knowing that I've picked the right foods for my family.
None, until now !
Make the scanner work a little better, so it scans at any angle. With mine, I have to hold the phone in a particular position for the barcode to scan properly, which took quite a bit of getting used to.

Alannahpickaver Tue 30-Jan-18 18:06:29

Yes it did
The visual demonstrations on the components of food I.e. the sugar, fat and salt.
Yes we will.
It has stop annd made us think and perhaps consumed a bit less. However it has not changed our purchases as the app does not suggest alternatives.
We would like a larger database.
A manual search.
Profiles and ability to log and track consumption.
Suggested alternative or healthy alternatives.

PinotAndPlaydough Tue 30-Jan-18 18:09:12

Not at the time because I was scanning stuff that we already had at home. But they made me more aware for future food shops.

2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? The children enjoyed the scanning aspect and liked the things like the sugar lumps falling.

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? I haven’t used it on the go yet, most of our food shopping is done online.

Maybe some games or activities for children to play on the app. Also I found that some items from places like lidl weren’t recognised.

chocolateorangeowls Tue 30-Jan-18 18:12:32

In some ways, thinks I thought were a better version it told me we’re still terrible. But as I said in my previous answers it doesn’t tell you the good points about food, like calcium content etc.

It was quick and easy when the item you scanned was registered.

Honestly no, I don’t think it needs to be a lot more informative about food.

None.

Include information about the good bits in food e.g vitamins and minerals. Just because something is high in fat doesn’t mean it doesn’t have other benefits. Etc

aristocat Tue 30-Jan-18 18:17:28

Second set of questions .....

Not really. I know which foods are healthier but I don’t always choose those grin.

It was fast clever and easy to understand.

Yes. My DD loved it.

It hasn’t happened yet. But I’m sure it will.

More food items in the database please would be perfect smile

Thanks again.

lilyboleyn Tue 30-Jan-18 18:33:06

Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?

In the supermarket, yes.

The little cartoons, the fun facts, and it was useful that it made suggestions about whether to eat it or not.

For my kids, yes. For me, no, unless it started helping me record what I had eaten so I could keep better record of my sugar intake.

Did not buy the posh fizzy orange juice I was lusting after because it’s sugar load was absolutely shocking.

It needs to have the ability to record daily consumption, perhaps set yourself goals etc. Maybe family competition - who has best sugar intake that day.

mummy81 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:35:54

Updated questions:

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? It will as I continue to use it.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Visually seeing the amount of fat and sugar in the products we eat.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Yes definitely.
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? It stopped me eating the goats cheese in the fridge and using cheeder instead on my pizza!
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? More products included would be great. Maybe a way to count up everything scanned in a day to see what has been eaten.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:51:10

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices
- not as such, no, as I only used it on foods I had already purchased. It did make us more aware of what was in our foods though.
?
It was fun to use, the kids were fascinated with the barcode scanner

Probably not unfortunately. It’s a bit of a gimmicky thing and it’s easy enough to tell if something has sugar in or not, by reading the labels

I didn’t, we generally eat homemade foods anyway, so it didn’t really affect our purchases.
Nothing really, just more products added.

claza93 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:54:19

Updated questions:

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? I believe so - it makes me think more
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? How easy it is to use
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? I won't be buying Aldi yogurts again - shocking amount of sugar!
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? More products really

ButterflyOfFreedom Tue 30-Jan-18 18:54:49

Yes - some foods I thought were relatively healthy proved not to be!!

It was so easy, colourful & simple to use.

Yes, it's a very useful tool.

I had been eating cereal bars which I thought were relatively healthy but realised they were full of sugar! I've since switched to alternative snacks such as fruit & crackers.

Could you add the 'goodness' that is in healthy foods such as vitamins & minerals in fruit & veg as a reminder / indicator of how good they actually are...

YuleABUnREASTIEable Tue 30-Jan-18 18:56:19

It has certainly made me think a lot more about some of the choices we make and has led me to changing some products I eat regularly to healthier options

Dd found it fun and has asked me to load it into her iPad for her to scan foods in her snack box! We liked that it was very visual and easy to see how many sugar cubes. It also scanned quickly and generally found most food items in our cupboards.

I think I will, yes.

As I do most of my food shopping online I haven’t really actively changed what I’ve bought from using in the shop, I’ve more been seeing what we regularly buy and making changes from that. I am now making my own nut based snack balls rather than buying fruit and nut bars which have a much higher fruit content than the ones I can make so I am reducing the sugar that way. I’m also making homemade soup rather than buying soup (which I have every day for dinner) as I was shocked how much sugar was in them.

We didn’t get it to scan every food we had so that could be developed but generally it was pretty good at picking up different foods. Dh tested it with mince pies thinking it wouldn’t find them but it did!

I’d say to have the option to see how much sugar per portion rather than just per pack would be really useful, and saying how much of the pack is a portion (as sometimes the Pack portion is very tiny compared to how much people actually eat!)

Ak13zd03 Tue 30-Jan-18 18:57:41

I think the food scanning app defiantly helped me to make healthier choices for me and my family. It made me mentally see how much sugar was in each product which h put me off buying it if very high in sugar. My children loved using the app and made shopping more fun scanning the snacks they wanted and if too much sugar we choose an alternative. So great encouragement for them to make the right choices. We will defiantly carry on using the app its great when you have a family and want to make the right choices for them. We changed our purchases a few times but one in particular was cereal instead of our coco pops or honey cheerios we choose weetabix and sultana bran. I was shocked at how much sugar and salt was in cereals. I think that you could improve the app by offering alternatives that are low in sugar compared to the product you scan.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Tue 30-Jan-18 19:17:09

1. No, it didn't help me to make healthier food and drink choices.

2. We loved scanning items in the supermarket.

3. I don't think I'll continue to use the food scanner app.

4. I have never changed my purchase choice as a result of the app.

5. I can't think of any way to improve it.

Thanks for giving us the chance to test it!

jodiebeaumont1909 Tue 30-Jan-18 19:25:28

1. Yes it did
2. The visual aspect of seeing how much sugar is in things and my children liked scanning food items
3.Yes
4.None as of yet as had already done a big shop but will encourage us to make healthier choices when shopping in the future
5. Suggest healthy alternatives

Sj10 Tue 30-Jan-18 19:26:58

Not necessarily shaped what I had chosen to eat at that time but made me think about what I could/should have later to keep in balance etc
It was easy to use, older kids enjoyed it too, treating it like a game to find "green food" bright and colourful too
Yes I think so but it would need to adapt into more of tracker and record total otherwise other current diet management/ health management/ tracking apps do this and more. Either that or "connect" with other apps/ fitness trackers. Potentially could set family profiles so can see true percentages of allowances etc
Not really used for when purchasing (online shopping mostly) and labels tend to be pretty clear with their labelling now for quick comparison
would need to adapt into more of a tracker and record total otherwise alternative current diet management/ health management/ tracking apps do this and more. Either that or "connect" with other apps/ fitness trackers. Potentially could set family profiles so can see true percentages of allowances etc
A*lso would like to see things that don't have barcodes listed- fruit and vegetables- bananas, avocados etc*

greenjojocat Tue 30-Jan-18 19:32:33

Not at this stage but I will continue to use it and I think it will do in the future.

It's great to look at, nice and bright, and easy to scan

Yes definitely

It hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will do!

Some of the nutritional information wasn't available and it would be useful to be able to delete previous scans

ncullinane Tue 30-Jan-18 19:32:41

It didn't stop me using what we already have in the cupboards, but it's made me realise not all the things I am buying are as healthy as I thought.

It's bright and interactive for all the family to use, so my kids could get involved easily.

Yes I will as I have assumed that snacks sold as kids snacks aren't always as low in sugar as I thought.

I haven't yet.

Suggesting alternatives when you scan a high sugar/salt item, also having a bigger library of barcodes so more is recognised

ScribbleWibble Tue 30-Jan-18 19:39:23

Yes, I used it to compare various options and went with the lower sugar/salt options where possible.

The visuals, very easy to see exactly what was in the product.

Yes, I would have thought so.

Not at the time, but I will stop buying a certain sauce that I had convinced myself was a healthier option - it wasn't and I was shocked.

The ability to use it for online shopping somehow. More products to be included.

Someaddedsugar Tue 30-Jan-18 19:41:07

These are answers to the second set of questions.

1. Using the app made me reconsider purchasing a few items that I had previously thought if us as ‘healthy’.

2. It’s a great app for kids - very engaging which makes it enjoyable for family use.

3. I think I will use it occasionally alongside my other health and fitness apps.

4. I changed my mind when purchasing a tin of baked beans as I was shocked by the sugar content in a product I had considered to be healthy. I then purchased the beans from a different brand range that offered a low salt and sugar option.

5. Push notifications that offer handy tips and advice would be a fun addition.

Chrissiefrenzy Tue 30-Jan-18 19:41:15

1. Yes, it made it easier to make healthier choices.
2. The kids enjoyed using the scanner as it was so easy to use.
3. I might not use it all the time, but I will use it when comparing new products.
4. I didn’t change my purchase choice, but I limited the portion size.
5. Rewards for making healthy choices - games etc.

gggg1 Tue 30-Jan-18 20:00:48

UPDATED QUESTIONS:
Yes, highlighting the sugar and fat content certainly made me think again about the snack.

It was very quick and easy to use, my daughter lived scanning the barcodes.

For a while yes.

I chose healthier yogurts with less sugar after using the scanner.

Can't think of anything.

Thanks again.

WarmHugs Tue 30-Jan-18 20:17:55

Second set of questions

Yes

That it worked on a huge range of food

Occasionally, but not all the time.

No

None

misskatamari Tue 30-Jan-18 20:25:54

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes, definitely with regards to breakfast cereals. It helped us be more mindful of what we were eating and reevaluate some of the things we were eating as staples

2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? It was quick and easy to use. And fun for kids to scan things

3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Probably when buying processed foods on occasion

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? I didn't change any purchase choices but did eat less of some foods we already had in the house

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? I think it would be useful to consider things like caffeine and sweeteners in products. My husband drinks a lot of Pepsi max, which is hardly the healthiest of things to be drinking, but this app rated it as a "great choice" when I scanned it. Yes it is low in sugar and fat, but it's crammed with sweeteners and caffeine so I think it would be useful to alert people to these things as well.

lhlawrie Tue 30-Jan-18 20:30:25

1. Yes, I used it particularly to choose breakfast cereal for the kids to make sure I picked the healthiest option.
2. My kids enjoyed using the food scanner, they thought it was fun scanning things. It made rpthem feel more in control of their food choices.
3. Yes I would continue to use this as it helps me make wise snack choices. I like that it remembers your previous scans
4. I changed my purchase choice regarding breakfast bars. I was going to buy nomadic yogurt & oat crunchy clusters, but changed my mind due to the sugar content.
5. I think that the app is good as it currently is, however, it could maybe in the future include some of the standard items in supermarket lunch deals as I found it hard to get information on these when picking my lunch.

chibsortig Tue 30-Jan-18 20:40:26

Yes and no. In most cases it just made more aware of how healthy/unhealthy our choice already was.

It was interesting seeing how it rated our favourite snacks.

Possibly

We did swap to a lower sugar cereal bar .

Freddiesgirl Tue 30-Jan-18 20:41:23

1. No, I chose to eat the same but I was shocked by some items
2. Interating to see what each option was
3. Not likely but may do on occasion
4. No
5. Show the information per quantity you are likely to consume, I.e. Rather than a whole loaf of bread two slices worth of sugar etc

FlouncyDoves Tue 30-Jan-18 21:16:12

No
Not a huge amount. It was glitchy in supermarkets as phone internet can be intermittent in larger shops.
No
No. I didn’t. I generally make healthy choices.
Making it not reliant on internet signal, but rather have broad barcodes stored within the app.

Imgettingcheesefries Tue 30-Jan-18 21:21:51

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? I do most of my food shopping online so I had already bought most of the things I scanned, it has made me think more about the snacks my kids are eating though
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? I thought it was interesting to see and hear the sugar cubes etc instead of it just saying how much sugar was in something, I did make me think more about what we eat regularly
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Not yet, I do most food shops online but will possibly in the future
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? I tried to scan a few baby food items and they haven't been added to the app yet so more things like that would be good

magjas0 Tue 30-Jan-18 21:30:55

1. . Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?
Yes it did, although I thought I am buying healthy food, I 've found out that some of the products are surprisingly unhealthy.
It was interesting to find out if our food is healthy.
Yes, it will help me to make healthier choices whenever I will be buying new products.
I was very surprised when I found out that kids yoghurt which is my daughter's favourite one is full of sugar. It was shocking.
Keep adding more products.

lostleonardo Tue 30-Jan-18 22:14:53

Possibly. Having facts in your face does help you make a better choice

Our 4 year old twins enjoyed the novelty. I enjoyed checking the accuracy compared to what was on the packaging and also against sites like my fitness pal

Yes, providing more foods are added

Ive stopped purchasing fromage frais toddler yoghurts and gone back to Greek yoghurt and fruit for them

Just keep it updated and expanding the products in the database

Bringmewineandcake Tue 30-Jan-18 22:29:50

No I don’t. The traffic light system is there on a lot of packaging already. If I’m going to choose a chocolate bar I already know it’s a bad choice!

My daughter liked to pretend she was doing the shopping and scanning all the things in our cupboards.

I think my daughter will!

Has not happened.

Widen the products in the database. A lot of our items are from Aldi and around 50% of those we tried didn’t scan.

del2929 Tue 30-Jan-18 22:44:01

it certainly made me think anout what i was buying and what we were consuming

it was a great app my children enjoyed scanning items and seeing their sugar value etc shown in cubes.

yes!

i stopped buying noodles as it contained 7 sachets of salt!!!!! wahhhhh!

it would be great to show an alternative product when a high sugar/salt/fat product is scanned

EsmeeMerlin Tue 30-Jan-18 23:25:59

Yes we scanned some snacks in the supermarket and chose healthier snacks.
It was easy to use and interesting to see the results of the scans. My son also enjoyed testing the app to see if it would scan cat food!
Yes its easy to use and very helpful
We changed a few of our son's snacks to different brands that had less sugar in.
More products in the database

luanda111 Tue 30-Jan-18 23:48:25

It helps me and my kids to understand the differences between good and bad food choices. This app helps to me to persuade my kids to choose healthier snacks.

It is very transparent and easy to understand even for kids.

Definitely and even my kids have it on their phones.

Big supermarket shopping on Saturday. We bought more fruit instead of sharing bags of chocolate.

More products, especially mini bars of chocolate are unrecognisable.

DollyLlama Wed 31-Jan-18 06:50:46

Second set of questions

While browsing through the shops, yes.

My daughter enjoyed helping t scan the items and it made it fun for her

Yes definitely

I haven’t yet, but I also haven’t done a big shop yet. I’m sure this will happen though.

Adding more information. I will be great when it’s been fully developed and has more items added to it (a couple I tried to scan didn’t come up)

ShatnersBassoon Wed 31-Jan-18 06:56:12

It helped my children stop making so many bad choices.
It was very easy, with clear results.
Possibly, if there are new products to check.
N/A
Suggestions for a better choice e.g. 'swap to x brand for a healthier option'.

alwaysthepessimist Wed 31-Jan-18 08:34:30

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Hmm I am not sure because we started by scanning food we already had in the house - it did certainly make me think whilst out shopping though

2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? It was easy - my DD 5 could do it

3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Yes as long as it is free I will

4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? No changes but have decided not to buy certain yogurts anymore

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? It needs more products loaded and also what would be nice is if you could enter the nutritional values of stuff and it worked out if it was healthy or not

userinfinity Wed 31-Jan-18 09:57:02

1. I don't exactly monitor their sugar intake but I am aware of what snacks they are having and will limit biscuits, chocolates etc

2. I don't know much to be honest, but I have a good idea of what is healthy and unhealthy and go according to that.

3. It has helped me to educate my children regarding sugar content and they are more aware of what they are eating.

4 + 5. I was actually shocked at how much sugar there actually is, even in such a small snack item or something plain and boring like Cheerios and also how much salt was in a cheese string but then i do believe in having everything in moderation. I can see how it may be very easy to get caught up into limiting what a person eats .
Nevertheless, the app is very visual and the children are enjoying it whilst being more aware of whats in their food.

AVT5 Wed 31-Jan-18 10:22:37

1. If you usually manage or monitor your family’s intake of sugar, how do you do this?
I make homemade snacks that way I'm in control of the amount of sugar and fat
2. How much would you say that you know about the sugar content in foods generally?
I would say I'm quite knowledgeable and aware
3. Do you think the Change4Life app has helped you to understand the sugar content in your foods?
yes a little, more for the kids to help understand
4. What have you learned while testing the app?
that the same kind of product such as Nutella and brand chocolate spread vastly differ in sugar/fat contents
5. When testing the app, was there anything that shocked you?
not really shocked as I'm already quite aware. its interesting comparing similar products.

Slippery Wed 31-Jan-18 11:18:48

Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices?

Not really as I have a good idea already.

Nothing really - I think maybe young children would be more interested but mine are teenagers.

No.

None.

It would be useful if it provided information that wasn't already on the pack, for example bread from the bakery counter in a supermarket which has a bar code but no nutritional information.

Candyperfumegirl Wed 31-Jan-18 12:40:05

Answering the 2nd set of questions:

I would say out choices were already rather healthy, but it has certainly helped my kids better understand the reason we make the choices we do .

I like the visual apect, easy for kids to get involved.

Sure.

I have nit yet changed any snack as a result of using the ap.

More barcode added. Some stuff I scanned wasn't on the database

supermariossister Wed 31-Jan-18 14:08:53

Not really, it was used more as a point of interest to see what the things we were eating and drinking contained.

They found it interesting and enjoyed the animations but it was confusing when the results were based on a whole pack of something.

Not really to be honest, i only found one item which it pegged as a good choice! perhaps if the kids were younger we would use it more.

I didnt change my purchase choices as i scanned things at home, it made me think more especially about drinks.

There were some items that werent available, and i felt that there wasnt many suggestions

Youresovain Wed 31-Jan-18 14:17:04

Sort of when it recognised the items!
Interesting to see how our usual food rated.
Maybe
It made me think more about saturated fat as I hadn't really thought about that too much before.
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Maybe a suggestion of a healthier alternative.

starray Wed 31-Jan-18 14:45:33

It IS motivating to see how many lumps of sugar there are in favourite snacks or foods. It makes you not want to eat them. However, I don't think the alternatives offered are terribly healthy - it is well known that artificial sweeteners can actually be worse for you than natural sugars. White bread is recommended as a healthy snack in the app, but it has been stripped of the nutritious wheatgerm and wholegrain? Also white bread is high carb which really means high sugar? The alternatives don't necessarily take into account and distinguish the nutritional value of foods in terms of vitamins, minerals, good fats (eg from an avocado) and bad fats (eg. trans fats), preservatives etc.

It is really fun scanning and finding out information about foods, that you never knew!

Yes. It is motivating as it puts you off unhealthy food, but I wouldn't take up the "healthy" food alternatives suggested.

Not yet. But I may in future.

Some things are not very clear. For eg, the number of sugar cubes per pack for Belvita is listed as 16.3. However it is not stated if this means per individual pack or the entire box of 5 packs.

So units of measurement - eg, per slice, per 100g etc, need to be clearer.

A few products I tried scanning were simply not available. So there needs to be more items in the database.

ilovecake77 Wed 31-Jan-18 15:48:12

Answering the second set of questions

It helped my daughter realise why i wouldnt buy certain foods for her because of the sugar content!

My daughter loved taking part and scanning our food!

yes i will

yes we changed yoghurts we normally buy based on the sugar in them.

5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app
more food on database and healthier suggestions.

Onedaylikethi5 Wed 31-Jan-18 18:07:26

No, it didn't really tell me anything that I didn't already know.

Not much to be honest, it's not for us.

Definitely not

Not applicable.

Most things I scanned were not on the system. We only really buy own brand and it just wouldn't work. It made me feel quite guilty about my use of butter and I felt the guidance it was giving about healthy fats was outdated.

kzedii Wed 31-Jan-18 18:18:17

1. Do you think the Food Scanner app helped you to make healthier food and drink choices? Yes as with some its didnt realise how much fat was in them.
2. What did you and your family enjoy about using the Food Scanner app? Kids enjoyed seeing cubes stack and choosing alternatives.
3. Do you think that you will continue to use the Food Scanner app? Sometimes
4. Can you tell us about a time - if any - you changed your purchase choice as a result of the app? Lower fat mayo
5. We’d love to hear about any features you think could further improve the Food Scanner app? Healthier alternatives as choices it gives could be lower in fat but higher sugars

kzedii Wed 31-Jan-18 18:28:51

1. If you usually manage or monitor your family’s intake of sugar, how do you do this?
I don’t usually monitor it.
2. How much would you say that you know about the sugar content in foods generally?
Not much
3. Do you think the Change4Life app has helped you to understand the sugar content in your foods?
Yes
4. What have you learned while testing the app?
Some foods have less sugar but make up in fats so not as good for you.
5. When testing the app, was there anything that shocked you?
Amount of fat and sugars in some items

poppy1973 Wed 31-Jan-18 19:01:52

Yes, as it told me clearly what contained a great deal of sugar and sat. fat.

My daughter loved using the food scanner, was trying to scan every item in,

If it is free, then I probably will. I won't be the type that takes it with me shopping though.

No, it didn't. It will in the future make me think.

It took a little while to scan things in could they make it quicker.

billybear Wed 31-Jan-18 20:09:25

1 usually use my own knowledge,2 usually i am quite good at sugar content but some things shocked me things that i thought were healthy.3 taught me about salt and sugar content quite good app,4 learnt about hidden sugars and salt surprised me how bad some items were .5 low fat yogurts surprised me how much sugar were in them .6 easy to use a great app

Chocolou Thu 01-Feb-18 08:13:42

1. Yes
2. Enjoy seeing visually how many sugar cubes were in our food. This is a great tool for children.
3. Yes
4. No
5. I love it as it is. A one with lumps of fat would be great (I think!!!)

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Thu 01-Feb-18 09:04:16

It helped my DC make healthier choices - converting the sugar content of snacks they like into a visual picture of how much sugar did make them take notice! At the least for now it is making them more thoughtful about what they’re eating.

When I first downloaded it my DC loved fetching anything and everything to scan - they really enjoyed the interactive aspect of it. I was really quite surprised that it worked on seasonal random things like shop own brand Christmas novelty Reindeers grin

I downloaded it onto my iPad so ideally yes I’d like to continue using it as an aid for my dc when out shopping but I’d have to download it onto my phone as well to be handy.

Again we didn’t use the app outside of the house so no we haven’t used it to make a purchase change although my DC did swap a biscuit once for an apple as a result of using the app. grin

I don’t think my DC have really ever seen a sugar lump before so although I told them roughly how big they are, for us the measurements given/shown using table spoons of sugar woke more helpful/readier for them to relate to.

MirandaWest Thu 01-Feb-18 09:17:07

I left feedback initially and then some questions have been amended I have some more answers

4. I haven’t changed any purchase decisions due to the app

5. Could be good to include other things such as fat content etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: