Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Find out what MNers thought of JimJams 83% Less Sugar Hazelnut Chocolate Spread!

(262 Posts)
JustineBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Jul-17 12:05:25

JimJams asked us to find 250 Mumsnetters to test their hazelnut chocolate spread. Each lucky tester was sent one 350g jar of the low sugar spread to share with their families, spread on toast and eat with a spoon. Read the comments below to find out what they thought!

Here’s what JimJams co-founder, Kellie Bath, has to say about the 83% Less Sugar Hazelnut Chocolate Spread: "As a mum, I was shocked at the amount of sugar found in most chocolate spreads (the equivalent of 57 sugar cubes per 400g jar). I decided to create a range of spreads that tasted amazing but with a fraction of the sugar (83% less sugar than leading brands!).

Our chocolate spreads are available in hazelnut and milk chocolate varieties. They have won Great Taste Awards, are kinder to teeth and are gluten free.

We use Maltitol to sweeten our spreads which is derived from a natural source (not artificial). It has nearly half of the calories than sugar, is kinder on teeth and diabetic friendly.

The tiny amount of palm oil used (one third palm to two thirds rapeseed) is fully sustainable and certified by the RSPO."

Testers - to be in with a chance of winning a £300 Love2Shop voucher please post your feedback on the thread below, including answers to these questions as well as completing a short survey when we send this to you:

1. Did you and your family enjoy the taste of JimJams spread?
2. Does knowing that JimJams hazelnut chocolate spread contains 83% less sugar than the leading brands make you think differently about purchasing the product?
3. Did anything surprise you about the chocolate spread?
4. Would you purchase this product for your family again?
5. JimJams are thinking about adding some new products to their chocolate spread range. Can you think of any flavours, such as white chocolate, that you and your family would like to try?
6. Would you swap your usual brand of chocolate spread for JimJams?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

glenthebattleostrich Fri 21-Jul-17 14:47:56

Hello, my jar arrived today so chocolate spread sandwiches for tea tonight.

Ive had a little taste and yum.

Back with the full review later, but can I suggest dipping strawberries in. Absolutely delicious.

Jengle Fri 21-Jul-17 16:52:42

We were very excited to recieve this jar of chocolate spread today- it was great timing as our jar of Nutella had run out the day before.

I normally only let the children had chocolate spread of toast for breakfast once a week so really we shouldn't be trying it out till next week but as it's 83% less sugar than normal we figured it's practically healthy so may as well have it today too.

Here are our thoughts on it.

1) We all loved it! As my son said, it's just like Nutella.

2) Yes, knowing that it has less sugar than other brands does make me think about purchasing it instead of other brands.

3) I was expecting it to taste different from the other brands of chocolate spread with it having less sugar but it doesn't, it's just as nice.

4) Yes, I would purchase it again, depending on price.

5) white chocolate would be a winner too, we love anything chocolately or nutty, such as Pistachios or coconut...but maybe branch into fruit compotes, such as blueberry?

6) Yes.

Thank you for letting us trial it, we will enjoy the rest of the jar!

BlackeyedPetitsPois Fri 21-Jul-17 16:57:13

Mine arrive today and I've sneakily had some on a spoon - delish!

Will be having some on toast with the family tomorrow so will come back and do the full review after that!

Scoleah Fri 21-Jul-17 19:41:57

Did you and your family enjoy the taste of JimJams spread?
Yes we Loved it, was a Massive hit with all of us!
* Does knowing that JimJams hazelnut chocolate spread contains 83% less sugar than the leading brands make you think differently about purchasing the product?*
Definatley! We all know chocolate spread isn't Wonderfully healthy, but we buy it anyway, but knowing this definatley would sway me into getting this over other leading brands!
Did anything surprise you about the chocolate spread?
Yes, the taste! I thought it would have a Nasty/ Cheapy chocolate taste; but it tastes exactly like the leading brands! Very impressed
Would you purchase this product for your family again?
We don't buy chocolate spread often; but if we do in the future I would choose this!
* JimJams are thinking about adding some new products to their chocolate spread range. Can you think of any flavours, such as white chocolate, that you and your family would like to try?*
Mmmm white chocolate, maybe Mint/Orange? Or one with daim/ honeycomb pieces Mmmmmmm grin
Would you swap your usual brand of chocolate spread for JimJams?
Yes! This was Big hit: thank you for letting us try!! flowers

Scoleah Fri 21-Jul-17 19:47:10

Ahh I put spaces in front of the * and it didn't go Bold lol, how frustrating! But anywho look how delicious it looks smile

MillyMollyMardy Fri 21-Jul-17 21:48:54

Yes. We all loved it.
2. Does knowing that JimJams hazelnut chocolate spread contains 83% less sugar than the leading brands make you think differently about purchasing the product?
Yes definitely.
3. Did anything surprise you about the chocolate spread? It tastes great really hazelnutty but isn't too sweet. It has a great flavour with the bonus of containing less sugar.
4. Would you purchase this product for your family again? Absolutely. My very sweet toothed 7 year old who loves Nutella said it's nicer than Nutella. I am genuinely surprised at how much we all liked it.
5. JimJams are thinking about adding some new products to their chocolate spread range. Can you think of any flavours, such as white chocolate, that you and your family would like to try? Chocolate and Almond, White Chocolate and Macademia/
6. Would you swap your usual brand of chocolate spread for JimJams? Yes definitely.

Pinklady1981 Fri 21-Jul-17 22:11:23

Hello, so excited to test this product. I have never heard of Jim Jams. I do like the overall look of the product. Great for baking too,banana/choc spread cake and choc pinwheels!!
1) really liked the taste,very nutty! A big hit with all the family.
2)it is very concerning how much sugar is in other leading brands and puts me off buying it. But now we have found jimjams,it will always be a store cupboard must.
3)i thought it would taste bland but i was totally wrong,so delicious and nutty.
4)yes for sure i would buy again and highly recommend to others especially with kids.
5)i would like to see coconut or honeycomb.
6)100% will be switching.

theresamustgo Fri 21-Jul-17 22:18:36

Oh yes, only arrived today and a third of the jar is gone. Oh dear. First we had it on toast. Then this evening I made choc spread and banana crepes and every body loved them....as good as the Nut***a ones at Winter Wonderland apparently and a lot cheaper!

Very much so. Always looking to cut back on sugar,

How sweet it tasted, how well it melted for crepes, how delicious it was.

For sure. Would definitely buy this over all others. Children loved it and so did I.

5. JimJams are thinking about adding some new products to their chocolate spread range. Can you think of any flavours, such as white chocolate, that you and your family would like to try?
Dark chocolate...my DD is a 100 percent choc fan.
Different nuts such as almond, walnut, peanut.
Salted caramel and choc
Mint choc
Tobkerone style.

Won't buy the N bad anymore once I found out about its ingredients. Would buy this. I know there is Palm oil, but I guess it being sustainable is a smidge better.

theresamustgo Fri 21-Jul-17 22:19:45

Sorry for typos. Not N Bad, but N brand. And Toblerone went funny.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 21-Jul-17 22:22:37

Yes, very much so.
Yes, I'd prefer to buy a chocolate spread with less sugar.
I was surprised at how easy to spread it is. Also that it isn't as sweet-tasting as Nutella; I've found products with sweetener in them usually leave an unpleasant cloying sweetness in my mouth, but this isn't the case at all here. It had a stronger cocoa taste that made it seem less sweet.
Yes, definitely.
Chocolate orange, or honeycomb.
I will, undoubtedly. We prefer the taste and texture to Nutella, and the lower sugar content is a bonus.

drsholmes Sat 22-Jul-17 07:45:13

We loved it! I did a blind taste test using jimjams and another well known brand and jimjams won! Everybody preferred jimjams, my husband said it was "nuttier" and my daughter just said it was "yummy"

I didn't think about the sugar in chocolate spread before, didn't even look. But when I got jimjams and compared it to my other jar of chocolate spread I was shocked! Over half was sugar!!! shock

It was delicious, I didn't think it would taste as nice, let alone better!

4. Would you purchase this product for your family again? Yes, absolutely.

I'd love it mixed with peanut butter - or is that just gross? grin

Yes, already decided. No more Nutella for us!

Loopytiles Sat 22-Jul-17 07:49:01

Does it have artificial sweeteners in it?

Palm oil?

Loopytiles Sat 22-Jul-17 07:50:30

An artificial sweetener is the main ingredient

Maltitol, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Sustainable Palm), Skimmed Milk Powder 11%, Fat Reduced Cocoa, Whey Powder (Milk), Emulsifier, (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavouring

drsholmes Sat 22-Jul-17 07:50:32

No palm oil! But it does have maltitol.

glenthebattleostrich Sat 22-Jul-17 09:02:27

1) We all loved this spread, I thought it was like the chocolate in ferero rocher, dd said it was like kinder joy! We all agreed it was delicious.

2) Yes, I like the lower sugar, but was especially pleased with the lower palm oil and the fact the oil used was sustainable.

3) I was surprised at how good the spread tasted. With the high sweetener content I expected it to taste a bit artificial.

4) absolutely, I've already been instructed to by the small people!

5) salted caramel, fudge, chocolate orange would all go down well here!

6) we will be purely on taste.

Thanks for the opportunity to test, Mumsnet has been kind this week (also won gin)

AmethystRaven Sat 22-Jul-17 09:51:26

Thank you for sending the spread, tested on 6yr old DD this morning (and I had a little try too!)

1. DD declared 'it tastes the same!' as I had explained that it was a less sugary version and we were testing it. She really enjoyed it. I liked that it wasn't overly sweet and there was no artificial aftertaste.

2. Yes. The DC have a sweet tooth so we are always a bit at war. With this everyone wins. As a diabetic I can enjoy it too.

3. I was pleasantly surprised by how luxurious it was - like a Ferrero Rocher! The light and smooth texture was great.

4. Yes I would buy again. It tastes good, has less sugar, and the palm oil is responsibility sourced too which is fab.

5. DD says strawberry. Not sure how that would work though.

6. Yes I would swap. It costs a bit more than my usual supermarket brand but I think it is worth it due to the sugar and palm oil, and it tastes better too.

Overall a big success. Thanks for letting us try.

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 22-Jul-17 11:33:15

Our jar arrived yesterday. I'm hoping that there will be some left for DD1 to try later this week but I'm not too optimistic grin

1. We really enjoyed the taste. It was smooth, very chocolatey and hazelnutty with no bitter aftertaste.

2. The reduced sugar was a factor in wanting to try the spread but the main reason for signing up was the reduced amount of palm oil used.

3. I was a little concerned about an aftertaste given the maltitol but it was delicious.

4. Definitely. My children (and I blush) love chocolate spread and this will replace our purchases of the leading brand.

5. We would like to try both a white chocolate version and a chocolate orange version.

6. We would definitely swap. I tend to buy a jar of chocolate spread as an occasional treat (for environmental reasons) but will buy this one more frequently.

Thank you for letting me try this spread.

firawla Sat 22-Jul-17 11:40:58

thanks for sending the jimjams we've really enjoyed it and would definitely buy it as can't tell the difference in taste between that and the unhealthier brands!

Yes, everyone enjoyed it

It's definitely a positive, I would feel better about purchasing this one especially for the kids

Thought I'd be able to taste a difference but didn't really

Definitely

Erm... I would try the white choc one, maybe something like chocolate orange?!? I'm not sure

Yes

lollylaus Sat 22-Jul-17 13:23:04

my little girl saw this delivered and couldn't wait to try it, So immediately had some on toast. It is really delicious, great chocolate hazelnut flavour. We all couldn't help going back for a spoonful!

Yes, trying to cut down on sugar and I like that the sugar alternative is natural.

just how good it tasted. Was addicted to other big brand of choc spread but this is just as nice if not better.

Yes, we really enjoyed it, in fact jar is almost gone already!

Chocolate orange, salted caramel, peanut butter?

I stopped buying Nutella a while ago when I found out about its harmful ingredients. Whilst I know Jim Jams still includes palm oil, there is not as much in there as other brands and would feel more confident (with that and less sugar content) that it would be a better choice for a family treat.

lorka Sat 22-Jul-17 13:25:01

Thanks for sending us a jar of Jim Jams to taste. smile

Yes - we all loved it. Both my son and daughter said it tasted just like our usual brand - Nutella.

Yes I would definitely buy it again - there was no compromise to taste with less sugar

Yes - it tasted great - we have tried other chocolate spreads before and were disappointed but not with Jim Jams.

Yes - the whole family gave it a big thumbs up and with less sugar than other brands, it is definitely a product I would purchase again.

White chocolate would be good, chocolate orange or salted caramel

Yes - I would be happy to swap our usual brand.

towelpintpeanuts Sat 22-Jul-17 13:26:55

Our tub arrived this morning - just after the kids and dh left for holidays! I'll post my thoughts once I've had a look, but their responses won't come through for over a week. Hope that's OK!

lostinlego Sat 22-Jul-17 15:48:19

Yes.

Yes, always good to cut some of the sugar from products.

Very easy to spread compared to some other chocolate spreads.

Yes

Ds says chocolate caramel

Yes if it was in my local supermarket.

Cupcakeicecream Sat 22-Jul-17 16:25:35

Did you and your family enjoy the taste of JimJams spread?
We were very excited once we opened the package yesterday. Today we have been experimenting and combining it with our favourite ingredients. For instance this morning we had homemade pancakes with this spread and strawberries. It tastes divine. I had a double thumbs up from my dd. We cannot tell the difference. This afternoon we have made rice crispy cakes with a twist. Just an normal brand of melted chocolate with a spoon full of the spread mixed in. The difference is unbelievable a twist of hazelnut really brings out the chocolate flavour and it's lovely.

Yes, my family seems to enjoy it more as the taste of the hazelnut cuts right through with the reduction of sugar it is still sweet with a sharp tang of the hazelnuts delicious. We loved it even more knowing that it's healthier so don't feel guilty enjoy the sweet treats we have made with Jim jams.

Very easy to spread compared to some other chocolate spreads normally I haven to stir a knife right through the jar quite roughly in order to make it a spreasable consistency but the knife went straight through it was smooth and spread easily. Very pleased with this no effort very easy.

Yes I would buy this product again and again it's a healthier version that still tasty it's still sweet and easy to spread.

Maybe a chocolate sauce that can go over ice-cream. Crunchy cereal with the Jim jams spread in the middle so once you bite into the cereal there would be a heavenly gooey chocolate hazelnut goodness yum.

Yes if I would the product is a better taste than the leading brands it's is healthier and the sugar reduction makes me happy as it can be enjoyed more.

midgetgem2211 Sat 22-Jul-17 16:40:49

Well, our had is already empty - hubby attacked it with a spoon!
1. Did you and your family enjoy the taste of JimJams spread? - yes! It was very much like nutella just not as sweet
2. Does knowing that JimJams hazelnut chocolate spread contains 83% less sugar than the leading brands make you think differently about purchasing the product? - yes I would definitely purchase the product
3. Did anything surprise you about the chocolate spread? - I was surprised that it tasted so Good!
4. Would you purchase this product for your family again? - absolutely - I didn't feel so guilty allowing my children to have some
5. JimJams are thinking about adding some new products to their chocolate spread range. Can you think of any flavours, such as white chocolate, that you and your family would like to try? - a dark chocolate one for grown ups would be awesome 😊
6. Would you swap your usual brand of chocolate spread for JimJams? - yes I would

We really enjoyed trying JimJams!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now