Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters had to say about the Moshi Mystery Box! NOW CLOSED

(468 Posts)
AmeliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Jun-17 11:50:26

Mind Candy asked us to recruit MNers with at least one DC aged 5-8 to test their new subscription service, containing fun Moshi-themed activities and games. The boxes work in conjunction with the Moshi Egg Hunt Mobile Game, which can be downloaded for free on iOS and Android. Selected testers were sent a letter from Moshlingologist Buster Bumblechops, enlisting their DCs to help in a quest to retrieve a special stolen egg. This was then followed up by the first in a series of Mystery Boxes, containing crafts and activities.

Here’s what Mind Candy have said about the product: ‘The experience begins when your DC receives an exciting personalised letter in the post, in which Buster Bumblechops explains that a very special Moshling egg has been stolen and that he’ll soon be sending a Moshi Mystery Box, jam-packed with clues, activities and missions. The first box contains fun art and craft activities, Moshi collectables, a comic strip, jokes and much more. And if you decide to sign up, there will be two more Moshi Mystery Boxes to follow.

A simple story runs across all three boxes, taking your child on a quest across Monstro City. Each box is also themed - box one is the Frostipop Glacier, two is Potion Ocean and three is all about the Gombala Gombala Jungle! The first box will also contain a pack of trading cards that can be scanned to unlock exclusive characters in the 100% free Moshi Monsters Egg Hunt Mobile Game!’

Testers - if you’ve been sent your mystery box, please leave your feedback on the thread below to be entered into a prize draw for a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Here are the questions Mind Candy would like you to answer:
- What did your DC do first when they received their letter and their box?
- Which was their favourite item from the box and are they still playing with it?
- Did you download the mobile game? How did they find it?
- These will be priced at £9.99 per box, or a bundle of two boxes at £17.99. What are your thoughts on the price?
- What did your DC think of the overall Mystery Box experience and personalisation?
- How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series?
- How do you think the experience could be improved?

Thanks for taking part and good luck with the prize draw.

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

Leahbaxter Mon 19-Jun-17 12:10:18

What did your DC do first when they received their letter and their box?
My daughter waited very patiently for the letter, but was so excited that it was Named & addressed to her! After another wait for the Box, the postman knocked the door and handed to her , and she was so Pleased!

- Which was their favourite item from the box and are they still playing with it?
The Little see through toy that came with it,
We downloaded the Game, after putting in the codes the excitement wore off quite quickly
- These will be priced at £9.99 per box, or a bundle of two boxes at £17.99. What are your thoughts on the price?
Very expensive for what it is! I will no be repurchasing and I don't think my daughter will mind she won't be having anymore either
- What did your DC think of the overall Mystery Box experience and personalisation?
Waiting for the letter and the box was the most exciting part of the whole test, very chuffed it was addressed to her!
- How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series?
We will not be subscribing!
Put more things in the Box, send them out quicker and definatley lower the Price!

TwuntingCrow Mon 19-Jun-17 12:40:47

our box hasn''t arrived yet...my dd is counting the days...

MrTumblesbitch Mon 19-Jun-17 13:20:49

_What did your DC do first when they received their letter and their box?_ Ds was SO excited - the personalised letter telling him to look out for his box was beyond what we were expecting and really set the bar high for what was to come. We had to watch the post every day for his box. The box itself was again met with excitement and seemed to have a lot inside, DS has taken it into school today for show and tell, so that has sustained over the weekend.

_Which was their favourite item from the box and are they still playing with it?_ The scratch off cards were the best thing and the little Moshi Monster toy.

_Did you download the mobile game? How did they find it?_ DS is obsessed with stuff like this, and really wanted to get his ipad straight away to try it. A big hit!

_These will be priced at £9.99 per box, or a bundle of two boxes at £17.99. What are your thoughts on the price?_ Noooooo! I am genuinely a bit gutted as I think that is far too expensive and I would have kept it up otherwise. I was thinking around the £7 mark max for 1 is reasonable but I feel that even though Ds loved waiting for the post etc, most - if not all - of this is going to end up in the bin, and therefore I couldn't justify paying more unfortunately.

_What did your DC think of the overall Mystery Box experience and personalisation?_ He loved getting post! Was impressed it had his name on it and thought the letter was genuinely just for him. Loved this touch!

_How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series?_ Sadly not very likely too as whilst the idea / concept is great, it is too pricey for what you get in my opinion. Can you not lose the toy and do a cheaper version?!

_ How do you think the experience could be improved?_ Cheaper sadly! Also, I personally found the box a bit chaotic and didn't know what activity was with which card etc. An over view / summary sheet may be a good idea of what is included for control freaks like me :D Over all though I was very impressed and will look into a subscription box type thing for DS now after seeing his reaction to this.

Thank you for letting us try! flowers

MummyBtothree Mon 19-Jun-17 14:25:24

Still not received either the letter or box sad

ButtonMoonLoon Mon 19-Jun-17 15:22:24

This has caused a bit of a problem in our house.

I signed up specifically because my daughter is very unwell and thought it would give her something to look forward to, in between hospital trips.

Having received her letter the week before last my she was so excited to read that 'next week I will send you a mystery box'.
Except that nothing arrived. Each day she has been so excited/hopeful. It got to the end of the week and she's now very sad about it, certain she has been forgotten and that it won't come.

I really don't think the organisers should have stated 'next week' unless they were sure that the boxes would have been sent out on time.

On that basis I kind of wish I hadn't signed up at all at this point. sad

AmeliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 19-Jun-17 15:38:21

Hi MNers, just another quick note to say that if you have been selected for the test but still haven't received anything from Mind Candy, please email me on rsvp.insight@mumsnet.com and I'll try and sort this for you.

Thanks!

GeillisTheWitch Mon 19-Jun-17 16:19:20

DD was delighted to get her letter, and couldn't wait for the box to arrive. We received the box on Saturday but as we've had a busy weekend she's only got round to doing the craft activities today, she's doing the painting activity right now and loving it grin.

Which was their favourite item from the box and are they still playing with it?

She liked the little moshi collectable and the craft stuff although I've had to get her other paints out as you only get two colours with the box.

Did you download the mobile game? How did they find it?

DD likes the game although we haven't managed to get the scratch off codes to work with it yet, will have to keep trying.

These will be priced at £9.99 per box, or a bundle of two boxes at £17.99. What are your thoughts on the price?

Quite expensive for what you get, I would have said £9.99 for two boxes would be more appropriate.

What did your DC think of the overall Mystery Box experience and personalisation?

The letter and box were well designed and attractive to DD.

_How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series?*

At £17.99 for two boxes not that likely, it's a bit pricey.

How do you think the experience could be improved?

DD says she would have liked the moshi collectable to come in an egg that she could "hatch" like in the game (similar to hatchimal collectables which she also likes just now.)

GeillisTheWitch Mon 19-Jun-17 16:21:45

DD wants me to show off some of her "moshi egg" designs grin.

turkeyboots Mon 19-Jun-17 16:35:46

Ripped it open and and scattered it round the place. Didn't read a thing and starting filling the balloons with salt!

They loved the little moshlings.

They are enjoining it.

Expensive really for codes for the game and two simple activities which couldn't be completed on the move.

Overall he liked it, liked getting post with his name on.

Not at the current price.

Better activities, which could be competed on the move would be better. More of a treat for long trips, and not too sure when else I would buy one.

busymummy0411 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:40:18

She was very pleased with the letter being addressed to her and couldn't wait to get the box. By the week after, she had almost forgotten so the box was a nice surprise! She was very keen on the box, read the story first, and sorted out all the contents then played with the Moshlings for a while.

The little Moshlings, she enjoyed doing the frozen egg activity and still plays with the little creatures, although they have now joined in with her Lego games...

Yes, apple version. She was initially a bit confused about how it all went together but after a little help got it and has played it every day since.

It is a bit expensive, probably £6.50-£7 a box would be more reasonable.

It was very good. She has other magazine subscriptions, but particularly enjoyed this because of the interactive activities, and I like that there was a bit of science and a bit of art mixed in with the other things too.

Considering it - it is a bit expensive, but I do think she would enjoy them very much. As a one off we might get them, but wouldn't do it on a regular ongoing basis.

More options/ways to collect the little plastic figures in real life as well as on the app.

aerynsun Mon 19-Jun-17 16:41:08

With the letter, my 6 year old isn't quite there on the reading level needed but she was so excited to hear that she would be getting something else through the post (it was completely thrilling to her to get the letter in the first place!)

The three toys. She likes playing with them and they've now become part of her large collection of other random plastic creatures

We haven't done this yet, as she has been on the ipad too much recently so we will save it for the weekend

Personally, £7.99 seems like a much better price per single box. I'd be more likely to subscribe to a set number of boxes rather than buy a single or double pack.

She was really pleased that it was addressed to her both on the packaging and inside. She really believed Buster Bumblechops had sent her something!

I'm not sure - I'll wait until we've tested the app. Timing wise it's probably quite good for the summer holidays so I probably will.

I think the number the items to give an order to do things. My 6 year just rips through everything and hasn't really done the tasks

Jesswoods1992 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:43:03

My daughter had a huge smile on her face she was amazed with her letter couldn't believe her eyes. She was so excited and keen to get started.
The cards for the app she loves this especially as she loves her technology so this kept her interested in the game I must say though she was so chuffed with the task where she froze a moshling in a balloon
Yes we did she loved it didn't require any help and carried on independently
Not a bad price but could you possibly think of direct debit or payment plans
AMAZING
My daughter has asked me if we can so yes I would be willing to purchase for this price
Maybe a parents instructions or guide to help you understand what to use and do or in each collection something special that will add up to build something huge!

KungFuPandaWorksOut16 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:44:26

when receiving a letter a countdown ensued for when the box should arrive. Excitement was across there face when the box arrived

The little monsters you get that you put inside the balloon

game downloaded and they love it! They enjoy the games on the app and finding new eggs and waiting for them too hatch

I was surprised at how much you did get in the boxes, although it would depend if in each box do the activities change slightly. Whether I would be willing to pay that amount would be dependant on the activities

thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the fact it was catered and personalised added that extra touch of enjoying the experience

very likely

- How do you think the experience could be improved
I find the experience perfect and so did DC

LadySlytherin24 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:44:53

What was your child's initial response to the letter?
My Seven year old son loved reading the letter himself and I loved watching the realisation of the letter dawn on him that head getting moshi monsters freebies

How long did it take for the next package to arrive?
8 days in total, my son asked daily if it was arriving and got very excited when we got home from a street fayre to see it on the doormat.

What was your child's initial reaction to the contents of the box?
When my son opened the box we both was surprised with the sheer amount of contents in the box, the activities entertained and occupied him for a whole afternoon. He especially enjoyed the egg activity and I enjoyed watching him.
Will you buy any more moshi monsters in the future?
I will yes, honestly he was not interested in moshi monsters before the letter and box arrived but now he is obsessed with moshi monsters as much as he is obsessed with Lego.

Any further comments?
I am thankful for getting the option of having a chance to try the moshi monsters freebie pack. I feared my 7 year old son had out grown his mum but this simple pack brought us closer together through arts and crafts. I have attached a photo of the pack below.

Royalsteph Mon 19-Jun-17 16:45:31

We received the letter over a week ago, ds was very excited about it as he'd broken his collarbone the day before so very good timing. We still haven't received the box, ds hasn't asked about it. But will be excited when it arrives.

colleenw Mon 19-Jun-17 16:45:57

She was so excited that she'd got a letter regardless from who - the box when that finally arrived was open immediately.
- Which was their favourite item from the box and are they still playing with it? She loved the actual figures - the unicorn was her favorite. And they are still being played with.
- Did you download the mobile game? How did they find it? She struggled to play this on her own and needs adult help.
- These will be priced at £9.99 per box, or a bundle of two boxes at £17.99. What are your thoughts on the price? That is a lot of money for what was essentially a lot of paper.
- What did your DC think of the overall Mystery Box experience and personalisation? She loved it but has not bothered with it (expect the figures) after an hour since she got it.
- How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series? I won't be paying that price for that.
- How do you think the experience could be improved? Les paper and more figures - maybe a voucher to go towards buying some from the shop.

Reastie Mon 19-Jun-17 16:51:08

Dd was VERY excited to receive the letter. She loved that it was personalised to her and that her name was used in the letter as well. It built up the excitement and she couldn't wait for the box to arrive. When she opened the box she went through everything with great excitement.

I just asked dd who said 'the little moshling and the cards and the balloon thing'. She couldn't pick one item! We got the box on Saturday and did the online game stuff then and then yesterday we put the balloons in the freezer and cut the egg up for the egg activity then today she has painted the egg and is doing the colouring. The enjoyment has lasted longer than I thought when first looking through the contents.

Yes we did and dd loved it. I liked that you can get bonus things with the codes from the boxes but also the free stuff is good too.

My initial thoughts are that it's not worth the money at £10 a box, but, if you have a dd who is a huge moshi fan I think the length of enjoyment they get from the box may well make the £10 worthwhile if they are crafty and enjoy that kind of thing. The annoying thing was that the poster paint powder stuff had leaked in the box and gone everywhere in the bag and I didn't find the instructions that great e.g. What was the salt for with the alloon egg thing? I'm certainly surprised how much of a hit it has been with dd only problem is she now wants me to sign her up to the other two boxes, we are currently mid negotiation as to how much she has to pay with her pocket money and how much I'm going to have to pay

The personalisation definitely made the box and has given a much more exciting experience for dd.

I would have said no I won't but dd is pestering me and is desperate for the next boxes and she has spent so long on it I think it might be a good thing to continue. I'm glad there's an end point with just three boxes though as I would have felt really annoyed if it was something that went on indefinitely.

I still don't really get the whole point of the box, how do we find professor bumble chops, how do the activities relate to this? Also, the cutting of the egg sheet dd found too hard to do as the paper was too thick so I had to do it for her.

Dd has asked me to attach her colouring she is currently working on,

loveandsmiles Mon 19-Jun-17 16:52:03

What did DC do when first received?
Ripped it open in excitement! She did love receiving a package in the post and it arrived on a Saturday so she was in when the post was delivered.

Which was their favourite item?
The tiny moshies for the balloon experiment. They are now lost.

Did you download the game?
Having problems downloading ~ will keep trying.

Thoughts on price?
Way to expensive for what you get.

What do d your DC think overall?
She loved getting something special in the post.

Likely to upgrade?
No ~ I think it's too expensive for what you get.

How could it be improved?
A cheaper price and maybe a box / bag to keep the moshies in as ours are lost already.

supergreenuk Mon 19-Jun-17 16:58:44

He explained that it was his moshi letter. He loved the stamp. We opened it and read it together.
The cards. He scratched them and scanned them right away. It was what he was most looking forward to.
He loves it. Downloaded it before the letter arrived. He is Moshi crazy now.
Too expensive. I will be looking out for the cards to buy.
The anticipation was great. He loved it had his name on it.
I doubt we will upgrade. Maybe if it had been cheaper.
- How do you think the experience could be improved.
It's s bit all over the place. Maybe some order to it. The bags inside were ripped open before we really knew what they were for.

LadySlytherin24 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:00:07

My Seven year old son loved reading the letter himself and I loved watching the realisation of the letter dawn on him that head getting moshi monsters freebies.

My son really enjoyed the egg activity, he have 2 of his figurines away to his two girl cousins as he felt bad that they didn't get a box. (My sister knows they are not interested moshi monsters so didn't enter)

I did yes, and like any 7 year old they enjoyed playing on a game on mummy's phone.

These will be priced at £9.99 per box, or a bundle of two boxes at £17.99. What are your thoughts on the price?
A bit expensive to enter into a regular or monthly thing, maybe for a birthday or Christmas present. But it would be worth it then.

What did your DC think of the overall Mystery Box experience and personalisation?
My son absolutely loved the personalisation and really thought he was going on a mission, my 7 year old was very much entertained and enthralled by the whole experience.

How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series?
Highly likely as my son just passed all his year 2 sats so it would be nice treat for him. At any other time possibly not.

Personally I don't think it could be improved, from receiving the first letter to the activity box the team had my son hooked and entertained.

bagpuss Mon 19-Jun-17 17:03:04

Letter was opened and read with a bit of apathy if I'm honest, but when the box arrived everything was out of it and being examined in seconds!

Craft things were the best. The last balloon has gone back in the freezer so that we can do the ice egg experiment again.

Yes. Found it quite good, and was playing for quite a while initially but hasn't been back on it yet.

Expensive. I think if every box had collectors cards, moshlings and another activity then the price would be about right. As they are, maybe £6 per box?

I'm not sure she was that fussed on the personalisation, but the box did have an initial wow factor.

How likely are you to upgrade to a paid subscription, so that your DC can continue with the next two boxes in the series?

I'm on the fence with this - DD really wants another one but the price is putting me off. However it has provided her with a lot of things to do over the weekend which has kept the peace!

I wasn't sure how to tackle the box initially. There was a lot of stuff and not much of an explanation as to how to do any of it. Some notes for parents might have been good. We worked it out eventually but I think the theme of the box was a little lost.

Rosehips Mon 19-Jun-17 17:08:04

Was a bit 'huh?' about a letter out of the blue, but excited after I read it. Was very excited to get box and immediately opened everything

The ice craft, only a one play thing

No

Not worth the money. I'd say £5 max to take into account the personalisation and postage

Enjoyed it. Liked getting post but wasn't that fussed over the personalisation bit.

I won't, to be honest I think it's a bit cheeky doing a product 'test' which then encourages testers to pay more to complete the set.

The wait between the letter and box needs to be much shorter
There isn't really any link between the crafts and the finding the missing egg story. I thought it would be more like a treasure hunt, i.e. linking the crafts to steps to find the missing egg. E.g. do the painting craft to reveal a word, look at that on a map to find you do ice craft next....
There's no instructions/overview when you get it you are just overwhelmed with loads of little bits of paper
It might be my age but I hated all the nonsense words

Byrdie Mon 19-Jun-17 17:12:45

I haven't told my daughter anything about the box or letter coming so it was a complete surprise when she got her letter. She was pretty excited and kept asking me where the box was and when it would come until it did. When the box arrived she opened up and had a good look at everything inside trying to figure out what to do.

She love the figures, especially the doughnut one! She wanted to immediately make the frozen egg with the balloons and even let her sister hatch one as long as it wasn't the one with the doughnut mushi inside! She still playing with the figures.

We didn't download the mobile game, or rather I haven't yet because my phone is full with no storage left!

I think they already quite good but I think that, for two boxes, is a little steep. I would probably think that you could charge £6.99 or maybe even £7.99 a box though. I would buy more at that price.

I thought it was really good and very well done in terms of printing and personalisation. I did think it took my daughter, who is almost 7, quite a long time to understand what she was being asked to do. I did have to help a bit but it was very inspiring for my daughter and she's even decided she wants to have a party on the same theme! How I'm going to arrange that, I don't know!

As her birthday is coming up I may buy as part of her birthday surprise but, as I said I'm not sure that the price would entice me to buy lots of them as I think the novelty is part of the appeal.

My daughter really enjoyed the experience and I'm not really sure what could be improved. I did feel that the box wasn't incredibly intuitive to do first but maybe that's part of it!

Sid98 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:13:42

My daughter got very happy and excited and couldn't wait to open the box

My daughter liked the cards

Yes i downloaded the app but it was rather boring for my child

I think that it is really expensive and not worth it

My daughter got bored of it quickly and lost excitement

No i would not consider it

More toys and more things to be able to play with and the price needs a change

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now