Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Find out what MNers thought of Fruit Drop, the new home delivery service from Robinsons NOW CLOSED

(121 Posts)
EmmaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Mar-17 14:35:18

We asked 100 Mumsnetters with DCs over the age of 5 to try the new Fruit Drop service from Robinsons. They received a crate filled with three flavours of classic Robinsons Fruit Squash, as well as three varieties of Squash’d (portable packs of super-concentrated squash), to help encourage their families to drink more water.

Here’s what Robinsons has to say: “It may surprise you to know that 72% of 5-12 year olds and 85% of UK adults do not drink the recommended 8 glasses of fluid per day. That’s why Robinsons is piloting a new service to help families across the country refresh, recharge and reset with a hit of real fruit in their water. Delivered straight to their door, ‘Fruit Drop’ will be bringing in the UK’s favourite squash to homes across the country, helping families to enjoy more water with a variety of gulp-it-back real fruit flavour!”

Testers, please answer the following questions:

•Did you and your family enjoy drinking more water as a result of Fruit Drop?
•Did you enjoy the variety of flavours?
•Was Squash’d useful for when you were on-the-go?
•Would you trial the service again? Why?
•If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member?
•If you could create your own Robinsons flavour, what would it be?

Also, please do post pictures of your Fruit Drop crates and your family enjoying the challenge of drinking more water on this feedback thread and on your social media channels using the #enjoymorewater. It would be great if you could also tag one of the Robinsons accounts below.

Facebook: @ Robinsons
Twitter: @ DrinkRobinsons
Instagram: @ Robinsons_UK

All testers who leave their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw for a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

fakenewsday Mon 06-Mar-17 16:04:14

•Did you and your family enjoy drinking more water as a result of Fruit Drop? Yes, both daughters are drinking more water. Curiously, DD1 is drinking more plain water too, I'm not quite sure how this happened but it's been a very good experience
•Did you enjoy the variety of flavours? Yes - more success in getting them to drink when more flavours were on offer
•Was Squash’d useful for when you were on-the-go? Definitely useful for on the go and will buy again, and also useful to increase the flavour range at home whilst saving cupboard space.
•Would you trial the service again? Why? Not sure I'd trial it again, it's a good service that I might buy in from time to time.
•If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member? Yes, if their DC were not drinking enough liquids.
Blueberry

lifelongfrugaleer Mon 06-Mar-17 16:06:39

Very excited about this. Will review later

Iizholz Mon 06-Mar-17 16:09:55

We did yes..it was very exciting when it arrived, the crate in itself is great. We drank more water as the flavour supplied were lovely.
Yes great selection..All of our favourites.so enjoyed trying them all
It was yes..I already buy this as it's great for keeping in your bag and adding to water on the go.
I would yes..We really enjoyed it.
•If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member?
I would yes..I already have smile
Coconut and lime

littleducks Mon 06-Mar-17 16:17:29

Surely you are drinking more squash not more water?

QueenieMum Mon 06-Mar-17 16:20:58

Yes - we normally have one or two bottles of squash in the fridge at a time so it was good to have a wider choice. Knowing they were there encouraged us to try a flavour per day & in different ways - I took a bottle of water & a Squashd to work, we all had some with lots of ice in one evening & even had a hot squash one rainy day.

•Did you enjoy the variety of flavours? Yes, especially the new grapefruit & lemon one and I don't even like grapefruit!

•Was Squash’d useful for when you were on-the-go? Definitely, very portable & easy to use

I would try it again to see if it had the same effect on increasing our water consumption. Just having more of a choice of flavours in the house at once really did inspire us. I would like to be able to choose which flavours were delivered though as none of us really like orange.

Yes

•If you could create your own Robinsons flavour, what would it be? I'd like a tangy ginger or a ginger with another fruit such as pear & ginger or apple & ginger. My DH would like apple & blueberry.

wendyonthefarm Mon 06-Mar-17 16:37:42

Yes we are. DD who i thought would shrivel up from lack of fluids is drinking lots more.
Yes the flavours are all good, i love the lemon and pink grapefruit, not a flavour i would of chose in the shop. tastes loads better than it smells.
DDs favourites are all of them.
Yes very useful DD takes to school to flavour her water when she refills her water bottle at school.
Yes we would be happy to trial again, because it has been a positive experience and DD is much more healthy from drinking more, so thank you Robinsons for your help.
•If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member? yes i have told everyone i know how fantastic this has been.
Orange and banana.

NettleTea Mon 06-Mar-17 16:40:48

Did you and your family enjoy drinking more water as a result of Fruit Drop?
yes, I would say so. Actually I probably increased my water intake by the largest percent, but both kids certainly drank more
Did you enjoy the variety of flavours?
Yes really enjoyed them. Peach, and the orange and pineapple were the favourites
Was Squash’d useful for when you were on-the-go?
Yes these are a brilliant idea - we have had them in the past and Id forgotten about them. I was a bit sneaky and asked for tap water in a restaurant, and used this!(naughty mum award)
Would you trial the service again? Why?
Yes I think so - squash seems to be something I forget about buying, and its really popular with the kids.
If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member?
Yes its a handy way to stock up, and the crate is great too! I am also really happy to see that the sweetener used is sucralose, as its the least worrying of the lot - I tend to go for the sugar containing ones as many have aspartamine in, so was really relieved. Also found it doesnt have that 'sweetener' aftertaste. Im not sure I'd lug 3 bottles of water home, so nice to have it delivered!
If you could create your own Robinsons flavour, what would it be? Strawberry and watermelon. maybe a lemon and mint one too

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Mon 06-Mar-17 16:43:08

We have been drinking more water as a family. I've moved from coffee to the pink grapefruit and lemon, so my slightly too high caffeine intake is reduced. We've also hardly had any carbonated drinks as a result which again I consider a good thing. I think my alcohol intake is down too as its nice to have something different to drink in the evening.

DS1 really likes the peach. With three DC it lasted the weekend (almost). I found that the pink grapefruit and lemon was really refreshing - reminded me of summer on a wet bleakest day.

I do regularly buy squash but I must confess to always buying orange or apple and blackcurrant. It's one of those weekly patterns that are easy to fall into. This trial has already had me back buying more squash but I couldn't find my pink grapefruit and lemon and someone has almost finished the bottle now the peach has run out.

We have been using the squash concentrate for several years. I keep one in my handbag. When we eat out sometimes there is only carbonated drinks options for the children but you can always get water. When we travel they can go through the airport security in hand luggage as they're under the 100ml liquid size and bottled water can be purchased or drinks made up from the drinking fountain for plane take off.

When abroad the DC, eldest autistic, like some familiar things and if it's warm keeping their fluids up is essential. Where ever we've travelled large bottled water has been cheap and the addition of a few squirts of juice when you're needing to drink plenty to keep hydrated just makes it a pleasant experience.

I would happily trial the service again. It's made me stop and look at what I'm in a routine of buying and I'm enjoying a greater variety in drinks. I'm not sure what the price point would be to make the service work for me as a subscription when I'm near to lots of supermarkets.

I have already gone on, a lot, about the pink grapefruit and lemon. I have lots of people on the look out for stockists for me. I put people onto the squash'd too as they're just so useful to have in your bag.

If I were to invent a flavour I'd like to do an adults only summer berry with hint of cucumber (like a fruit punch) that could be served as a non alcoholic punch.

Borntoflyinfirst Mon 06-Mar-17 16:45:24

Received my Fruit Drop delivery and was surprised! Wasn't expecting such a lovely crate to be delivered!

My children have enjoyed trying out new flavours that I may not have bought so yes they have been drinking more whilst trialling this service.

Peach wouldn't be a main choice of anyone in this family but we've tried and enjoyed all the rest.

The children have enjoyed squeezing their own flavours into water from the Squash'd bottles!

Yes I would trial again - especially if I could pick my own flavours and then perhaps receive one or two items I hadn't chosen myself which may lead me to buy in the future.

Yes I would recommend the service to friends.

I'd like a raspberry and apple flavour!

murzite Mon 06-Mar-17 16:55:58

Yes, we have drunk more water then ever, as with new robinsons flavours it's tasted amazing
Love it, will definitely be purchasing. Our favourite orange and pineapple.
Yes, easy to stick it in any handbag or backpack. And most important no leaks.
Yes, easy and convenient
Yes, already done
Kiwi or cranberry

SachaF Mon 06-Mar-17 17:05:19

Generally, yes. At the weekend we drank more if we were at home trying out the new flavours. Midweek my dd enjoyed coming home from school and drinking squash if she had finished her water bottle. My ds some days drank more and some days drank as little as he usually does.
Absolutely. Lemon and grapefruit was my favourite flavour which surprised me. I would never have chosen this flavour in the supermarket. I also liked the orange and summer fruits squash'ems but not the apple and blackcurrant (even though this is a flavour I would usually buy in squash). My dd preferred the orange and pineapple whilst my ds liked them all. The peach fruit barley, whilst pleasant enough, seems to still have a lot left in the bottle. I certainly enjoyed having a choice rather than just my stock orange and mango flavour that I haven't touched all week.
The Squash'd seemed to work really well with sparkling water! I have previously bought Squash'd for camping trips, but not enjoyed the flavour as I had only been able to get the apple and blackcurrant one before. I will now look for different flavours before my next expedition (I struggle to drink enough plain water, especially when I'm sourcing it from streams and treating it, it can taste a bit funny. Squash helps me drink more).
I would love to trial another fruit drop trying out the different flavours in your range. I wasn't aware of the number of flavours you offer before.
I don't know the price point of the service, this would be a major factor in recommending the service as I have definately enjoyed receiving the box. I would also be concerned about the packaging. Whilst I can re-use this crate there was a lot of filler and I would want to know that you could eg return the crates for re-use. There was nothing to say if the filler was compost able or not.
Dd says melon. Ds says lemon and lime. I like some previous pistes suggestions of a ginger flavoured drink, however I now have to seek out the divine lemon and grapefruit!

NewtScamandersNaughtyNiffler Mon 06-Mar-17 17:13:21

MNHQ I had a problem getting my delivery. I did email you about it but haven't had a reply sad

NoodieRoodie Mon 06-Mar-17 17:50:25

Yes because I went wild and let the children open whatever they fancied rather than making them finish one bottle before we started the next.

Yes but I was slightly disappointed by the pink grapefruit as I didn't think the taste lived up to the smell.

I already buy these and think they're wonderful and not only for when we're out. At home it means the children can make themselves a drink easily when a full bottle of squash is too hard to pour.

I possibly would as I thought it was really good fun. It gets you out of the standard flavour rut that you get into and I loved the crate it came in. Really gimmicky but really good fun.

Yes I would, my mum is already very impressed as she was here when it was delivered.

Something citrusy and maybe a bit more grown up. Lemon lime and orange and not too sweet

EmLH Mon 06-Mar-17 18:18:21

Yes. We drink squash anyway, but it was nice to have more flavours to choose from.

Yes, particularly the peach. I hadn't bought the barley type for a while and it reminded me how nice they are.

Yes, definitely. I often find that if we are out and I haven't brought our own drinks along, the only choices are either plain water, fizzy drinks, or drinks like Ribena or Oasis, which have a very high sugar content. I'd much rather buy a bottle of water and add a little bit of squash so that DD will drink it than buy one of the high sugar drinks. I have noticed that DD will drink plain water if forced, but she much prefers squash and will drink a lot more if it is available. I'm the same and am happier to have a child who will drink a lot with a bit of flavour added rather than one who will drink a minimal amount of water. I do, however, make squash with less than the recommended amount; probably one part squash to eight or ten parts water.

Yes, I liked the new flavours. I probably wouldn't have bought that many on a supermarket shop as they would've been too heavy.

Yes. I think anyone who buys squash on a regular basis would find it handy. It may also help people who don't drink very much water to change their drinking habits and perhaps drink less caffeine containing beverages.

At DD's school they are only allowed water in their (clear plastic) school bottles. DD wasn't drinking enough at all so we now buy apple flavoured squash and add a nominal amount. It looks clear when diluted and results in a hydrated child rather than a dehydrated one. We've told the school that it's not something we are willing to compromise on and they have said that it is okay, we just don't make it obvious as it would be unfair to the other children. Not a great example to set I know, but I have a big problem with schools dictating that children can't have squash etc. when they are quite happy for them to have sugar laden cereal bars. DD has a very healthy diet so by my reckoning a bit of weak squash isn't going to kill her. I also think that if squash encourages higher water consumption, then great.

Raspberry.
Mojito.
Passion fruit.

DD would like mango, peach and apple all together.

Thanks for the trial. Robinsons is a trusted brand in this house so I hope it goes well for them.

sewonandsewon Mon 06-Mar-17 18:56:05

Yes we all enjoyed the flavours and the crate delivery caused much excitement! (I'm currently drinking orange and pineapple!)

Loved them! We normally have 1 bottle of squash in, but it was great to have a variety to choose from, and it really encouraged us to drink more as we had so much choice. I really loved the grapefruit one - I normally hate grapefruit too!

I didn't remember to take one with me, but I can definitely see how it would be!

Depending on the price, potentially I would!

Yes for sure!

Cranberry or raspberry.

EmLH Mon 06-Mar-17 19:16:35

Forgot to say, I would like to ask why all Robinsons squash is now the no added sugar variety. I am not too keen sweeteners and given the choice would probably prefer sugar.

piratetoes Mon 06-Mar-17 20:02:24

•Did you and your family enjoy drinking more water as a result of Fruit Drop? Yes, especially my 6 year old.
•Did you enjoy the variety of flavours? Yes, we normally just have orange squash so we liked having a choice.
•Was Squash’d useful for when you were on-the-go? Yes. And my son liked making his own drinks.
•Would you trial the service again? Why? Probably not.
•If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member? Yes.
•If you could create your own Robinsons flavour, what would it be?Raspberry.

miniann80 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:16:36

My children were really motivated to drink more by the novelty of trying new flavours and mixing up their own drinks. We have all drunk more as a result.
Yes I love the peach. My daughter's favourite is the summer fruits and my son the orange. My husband liked the lemon and grapefruit.
I haven't taken them anywhere but I could see it would be helpful for when out and about.
Yes if it kept the children drinking more.
•If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member? Yes
According to my 8 year old strawberry, orange and blackcurrant, bit of a mix 😌. I would like kiwi fruit and lime or something coconut and lime.

PurpleCrazyHorse Mon 06-Mar-17 20:36:09

Yes, we really enjoyed the choice of flavours, which was considerably more that we would usually have at home. Mostly we'd have an orange flavour (either plain orange or orange and pineapple) and an apple and blackcurrant. The choice of flavours made having a drink with a meal really attractive. I don't drink enough and I enjoyed drinking several glasses a day, which is quite a bit more than I would usually drink.

Absolutely, see above comments. Surprisingly, I had never tried a Barley squash and despite not being a lover of peach flavourings, I really enjoyed the Peach Barley flavour. My husband and I also enjoyed the Lemon and Pink Grapefruit, although our 7yo didn't like either of these flavours.

Our 7yo really enjoyed the Squash'd, she liked to do them herself (with guidance from me) and she particularly liked the Orange and also the Summer Fruits. Our least favourite was Orange and Pineapple, mostly because this is our usual home flavour, so despite being nice, the other flavours were more exciting. However it was good to have a balance of 'interesting' and more normal squash flavours.

Yes, we took the Squash'd with us swimming and also on an afternoon out to the National Trust. I packed our usual water bottles (usually one water and one a squash flavour chosen at home by majority vote!). This time, I made both up with water and let everyone choose their Squash'd flavour at the time of drinking. The Squash'd bottles were hardly any extra weight in our bag, plus I had to pack some plastic cups. It was great because we didn't all have to have the same flavour. It just took a little practise to get the squeeze size right for our little plastic cups!

It depends on the cost. I think I would probably use the service for the summer holidays or when we go on holiday (often self catering), just for the variety and bit of excitement. It was great to try flavours I wouldn't usually buy.

What would put me off is the waste of the crate. It would be good to have some ideas with the Fruit Drop over what to do with it. Could it be lined with a black bin bag and planted, for example? Currently it's in our garage and will probably go to the tip.

Yes, I think I would.

Not sure, my husband says 'avocado' and also 'there aren't any good blueberry squashes'. Maybe that's unhelpful grin. I think something along the lines of smoothies, so fruit plus random green stuff.

CopperKettle11 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:45:45

Yes, me and my 2 children enjoyed the trial. I certainly drank more water (instead of tea) using the Squash'd at work and the children enjoyed the wider variety of drink choice than normal, thus encouraging them to drink more water.
Yes absolutely - they weren't flavours I would have necessarily chosen and we were all pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't have thought the kids would have liked lemon and pink grapefruit - but they did!
Yes - I took one to work and the other I took whilst out all day with the kids at the weekend.
It would depend on pricing. I'm all for convenience and loved the box being delivered, but if it was a lot more expensive than buying the squash in a supermarket, I would have to consider it. Also I'd be concerned about the waste of the Fruitdrop box - it would take a lot of room up in an already full bin!
Yes, I think it's a great way to encourage kids to not only drink more water, but to also try new flavours.
Something with elderflower in it.

lolapops1 Mon 06-Mar-17 20:54:37

Yes we loved it and did drink more,especially me.
Loved the flavours,must admit I would not buy peach or grapefruit before this but I will buy them again.
Really useful,I took one into work and everyone enjoyed it.
Yeah I think I would,It was a great size particularly if I was going away somewhere. Loved the flavours too.
Already have done,I think it is great.
Mango,passionfruit and papaya.

Feargalthecat Mon 06-Mar-17 21:41:01

• Yes we definitely have drank more water and less of our regular carbonated drinks as a result

• Yes there was a good range of flavours in the crate for all the family

• Yes Squash'd were useful and we plan to use them on holiday where dilute juice is hard to come by. They will save valuable space and weight in our luggage as we usually have to take a couple of large bottles of juice

• Yes I probably would trial the service price permitting. The crate it arrived in was well received by all and it was a treat to have such a selection of flavours for everyone.

• Yes I've already told friends about it and my Instagram picture generated comments from friends about how lovely the flavours looked

• My daughter would like watermelon and cucumber and I would like to see passion fruit flavour.

tankerdale Mon 06-Mar-17 22:08:48

We've possibly drunk more squash but not sure if can be said we've had more 'water'

Yes although of course they wanted different ones first so ended up opening all at the same time...

Yes quite useful, found though that if squeezing into a cup of water it sinks to the bottom and doesn't distribute evenly without a stir or shake

I'm not sure - can't really see the benefit over adding lots of squash to an online shop

If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Fruit Drop to a friend or family member?
I'm not sure - see above

•If you could create your own Robinsons flavour, what would it be
Raspberry and lemon

BookShop Tue 07-Mar-17 06:27:28

Posting pictures now, I'll post comments later. We loved this idea though. Particularly DS who is our famous drink refuser! He really got on board with the concentrated squashes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now