Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

Take the Rapeseed Oil Benefits challenge to be in with a chance of winning a £250 supermarket gift card NOW CLOSED

(58 Posts)
PoppyMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-Feb-17 12:35:54

We've been asked by RapeseedOilBenefits.com to find 100 MNers to take part in a two-week rapeseed oil challenge starting Monday 13 March and you will have until Sunday 2 April to feedback.

Here's what RapeseedOilBenefits.com, a not-for-profit campaign aiming to inspire people to use this cooking oil, say about the challenge:

“Did you know rapeseed oil, sometimes labelled vegetable oil, is a healthy choice of cooking oil? It contains less saturated fat than other commonly used cooking oils and fats (e.g. approx. 50% less than olive oil). Recent UK dietary and nutrition surveys estimate that as a nation we’re eating too much saturated fat so we need to look for ways to cut down. Current UK government guidelines advise cutting down on all fats and replacing saturated fat with some unsaturated fat. Replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats such as rapeseed oil in the diet has been shown to lower blood cholesterol, which may reduce the risk of heart disease. It’s also a rich source of vitamin E.

Rapeseed oil is the only commonly used culinary oil that can be widely found both grown and bottled in the UK. It comes in two forms: artisan cold-pressed and refined, which is often labelled vegetable oil. Other vegetable oils, such as olive or sunflower, are primarily imported from mainland Europe or further afield. As well as its nutritional benefits, it’s competitively priced and has many culinary benefits, like its excellent, light, non-greasy flavour profile, and its versatility – from crispy roast potatoes, to healthier baking, to vibrant salad dressings.

Struggling to keep up your New Year’s resolutions? Give rapeseed oil a try, involve your family too if you can, and tell us what you think to be entered into a prize draw."

Here's what's involved:

- This is open to all UK MNers

- The challenge starts Monday 13 March. During the challenge you'll need to post your feedback on a thread on MN. You will have until Sunday 2 April to do so. Please only sign up if you’re available to take part during this time.

- 100 MNers will be selected as 'official' testers. If selected, you'll be sent a £10 supermarket gift card to contribute towards the cost of buying the oils. This gift card will be for one of two supermarkets - you can submit your preference when you sign up. All 'officials' who post feedback on the MN thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 supermarket gift card.

- You can still take part if you don't get selected as an 'official' tester. All 'non-official' testers who take part in the challenge and post feedback on the MN thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 supermarket gift card.

- The challenge is to buy two bottles of rapeseed oil – one refined, often labelled 'vegetable oil' and usually in plastic bottles, and the other labelled 'cold-pressed' and often in glass bottles – and then use them in place of your normal cooking oil for two weeks and tell us what you think. Involve your family too if you can. If you already use rapeseed oil, feel free to take part in the challenge too, as Rapeseed Oil Benefits would like to know what you think also, to help them inspire others to use this cooking oil.

From RapeseedOilBenefits.com:

- "If you have any questions about rapeseed oil go to RapeseedOilBenefits.com and check out the Guide to Rapeseed Oil pages and the FAQs, or use the Contact Us form. To help you get cooking with rapeseed oil, try these delicious Recipes created by professional home economists and dietitians, designed to show that healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring – it can be surprisingly good!"

If you'd like to take part as an 'official' in the RapeseedOilBenefits.com challenge, please sign up here.

Thanks
MNHQ

Please note: posts on this thread may be reproduced by Rapeseed Oil Benefits (AHDB).

clairethewitch70 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:37:06

Just entered.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 21-Feb-17 15:48:08

Likewise

MummyBtothree Tue 21-Feb-17 16:18:37

Done smile

LilQueenie Tue 21-Feb-17 16:58:20

All signed up.

BillyButtfuck Tue 21-Feb-17 19:27:38

I only found out about rapeseed oil very recently as a recommendation on here for Christmas roast potatoes! Tried it Christmas Day and am now completely converted.

TheEdgeofSeventeen Tue 21-Feb-17 20:50:28

Ive used Rape Seed Oil for years and love it!

ScarlettDarling Tue 21-Feb-17 20:57:19

Entered, never used rapeseed oil before. Always looking for healthy alternatives so am v interested.

foxessocks Wed 22-Feb-17 00:51:01

Done

SillyMoomin Wed 22-Feb-17 07:14:51

Great, been thinking I should rapeseed oil anyway

BathshebaDarkstone Wed 22-Feb-17 10:52:48

Done

Teaspoon74 Wed 22-Feb-17 11:23:45

James Martin and various celeb chefs talk about Rapeseed oil a lot but whilst have used once or twice, not yet been converted. Be good to get some tips and be prompted into doing more with it!!

Jenniferb21 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:19:49

Never heard of it?! Is it like coconut oil the next big thing?

Signed up to test it!

luanda111 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:18:36

I love to cook. Would be nice to use rapeseed oil on pancake day. Fingers crossed to be selected.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Wed 22-Feb-17 18:54:50

I've seen the fields, but never tasted the oil. Signed up!

JoInScotland Wed 22-Feb-17 19:31:05

I've just signed up!

Underbeneathsies Wed 22-Feb-17 21:16:09

We use rapeseed oil irregularly as it's quite full on flavour wise.

It has very strong vegetable and earthy tones and you need to mask the flavour for baking. And it's yellow so will turn cakes and pancakes yellow.
It can be used in chocolate muffins, or beetroot cakes as these are dark coloured and strong tasting anyway. You couldn't use it in a Madeira cake for eg.

As a dressing it's ok as v.olive oil is strong tasting too, so no change there.

I quite like it to stir fry spicy things in rapeseed as the spices mask the oil's taste, but all in all we prefer coconut oil, sesame seed oil, and olive oil mostly for salads, with groundnut oil for baking.

I like hazelnut oil for salads too, depending on the salad, and almond or walnut oil for simple chopped / apple / nut salad dressing as well.

Rape seed oil takes a bit of getting used to, tastewise, and be careful, as it's so yellow, it's very staining if spilled.

I don't think I'd use it as an oil method facial cleanser either, as it might have the same effect on the skin as turmeric, or saffron umpalumpa
Maybe it's what Pres.Trump uses as a pomade?

DameSquashalot Wed 22-Feb-17 21:55:34

I find the taste way too strong. I'm yet to be converted. I'll try some different brands...

DameSquashalot Wed 22-Feb-17 21:57:48

😃

I'm yet to be converted as the flavour is too strong for me...

DameSquashalot Wed 22-Feb-17 21:58:40

Sorry...my first post didn't appear for a while. 🙃

Tonkatol Wed 22-Feb-17 22:11:17

All signed up - would be interested to see how the flavour compares to olive oil in some dishes.

chaplin1409 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:47:49

I have entered

Hopezibah Wed 22-Feb-17 23:34:13

ooh i never knew there was a difference in types of rapeseed oil! interesting stuff!

pinkspideruk Wed 22-Feb-17 23:34:14

all signed up smile we recently tried the wholegrain challenge and really enjoyed it and have kept with a lot of the products we tried smile

ghostwatch Thu 23-Feb-17 00:00:22

I've entered smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now