Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

New Ikea mattress - very strong smell (chemical/plasticky) - anyone had this?

(11 Posts)
Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 21:21:30

Has anyone had a new Ikea mattress recently? I just unwrapped one today and it stinks. The instruction leaflet does say new mattresses smell and to air them and vacuum them but how long until this awful chemically smell goes away? It cannot be good for you and I get worried about things like this. I have left the mattress on a slatted bed uncovered so it's getting as much air as I can get to it but it I am just worried about it. Hankering after an old sweaty one grin.

It's a Hafslo mattress, link here:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10244465/#/00258052

Anyone got experience of this? Thanks for any replies

Mitzyme Wed 17-Jun-15 21:26:16

I bought a mattress in a bag for DGD. Smell was awful and had to replace it.
Sorry OP no other advice, in our case it was the memory foam, not cheap either.

Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 21:39:13

This one was also in a bag - rolled up. It was £80 so it if comes to it, I will get rid of it, I am not letting my dc sleep on it unless I am happy with it.

ColdCottage Wed 17-Jun-15 21:45:10

It's the foam. It's harmless just unpleasant.

DS just had a new mattress and I just popped it outside across 2 chairs so the air could circulate and after a day outside no smell.

Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 21:48:43

I wonder if I could get the bugger outside (it's a double). I reckon that may be a good plan for a sunny day. Worth a try I think (hope no birds poo on it shockgrin).

quietbatperson Thu 18-Jun-15 17:31:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fleecyleesy Thu 18-Jun-15 17:55:34

It's currently in the garden. I'm hoping this whole day outside will do the trick. Otherwise I will have to put it out again tomorrow!!

TCBarks Wed 08-Nov-17 20:45:12

Yes it's Nov 17, and I have just purchased an Ikea mattress.

On unwrapping it, I was immediately hit by a really unpleasant smell which is still there despite airing for 3 days outside.

I have ME ( hence the need for a mattress since my condition means I spend 22 out of every 24 hours in bed !)
Because my blood tests have confirmed that my condition is related to toxic chemicals, I have been advised to eat organic, and avoid any chemicals. I am alarmed by the smell coming off the mattress.

I have told Ikea about my medical condition, and as they only delivered it 3 days ago, and I have not slept on it I have asked them for a full refund. I will let you know how I get on.

MilkyVampire Sun 26-Nov-17 15:59:12

TCBarks how did you get on? I received an IKEA Hovag mattress and unwrapped it yesterday but the chemical smell was virtually unbearable last night as i had to sleep on it because my OH took out old one straight to the tip.

It was also so uncomfortable! 😟
Ordered the medium firm at trying in the shop a few times on different occasions and as I need a euro king and they could deliver straight away i went for it over a Leesa that i was planning on getting. It was £285 Inc del.

I've had the window open most of the day and stripped it all and it's freezing!

Praying it gets softer because my back killed this morning!

TCBarks Sun 26-Nov-17 16:25:25

Hi,
I phoned Ikea and they were very good and took it back, ( it took them at least a week and the mattress was still very smelly when they collected it, inspite of having been out of it's wrapper in a well ventilated room - (windows open))
Of course I lost £35 delivery charge, but I am happy.
Instead, I went to my local bed supplier, they have sold beds for 40 years.
I ended up spending a lot more money but the mattress I bought comes with a 5 year guarantee and I am hoping will last many years.
It is sheep's wool and organic cotton, and traditionally made in the UK.
I am also happy to support a local business, British farming, and a British manufacturer.
Tamsin

MilkyVampire Tue 05-Dec-17 11:54:00

Ah thanks for the reply! Glad you're happy now and your mattress sounds good! ☺️

I'm still thinking of going the same way. My Hovag mattress still smells chemically despite having the ioniser dehumidifier on most days and covers off.

The second night I woke with no back ache and thought it was getting better but now I'm not really sleeping well at all. Tossing and turning, bothered by the smell. The fact it's still so bloody firm too, despite being medium firm on the label!

I was going to get a pocket sprung mattress from John Ryan online with wool comfort layer but it's £570 ish and I'd have to have it specially made in a 160cm width so if I don't like it they won't take it back. Ugh decisions decisions!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: