Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

New Ikea mattress - very strong smell (chemical/plasticky) - anyone had this?

(7 Posts)
Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 21:21:30

Has anyone had a new Ikea mattress recently? I just unwrapped one today and it stinks. The instruction leaflet does say new mattresses smell and to air them and vacuum them but how long until this awful chemically smell goes away? It cannot be good for you and I get worried about things like this. I have left the mattress on a slatted bed uncovered so it's getting as much air as I can get to it but it I am just worried about it. Hankering after an old sweaty one grin.

It's a Hafslo mattress, link here:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10244465/#/00258052

Anyone got experience of this? Thanks for any replies

Mitzyme Wed 17-Jun-15 21:26:16

I bought a mattress in a bag for DGD. Smell was awful and had to replace it.
Sorry OP no other advice, in our case it was the memory foam, not cheap either.

Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 21:39:13

This one was also in a bag - rolled up. It was £80 so it if comes to it, I will get rid of it, I am not letting my dc sleep on it unless I am happy with it.

ColdCottage Wed 17-Jun-15 21:45:10

It's the foam. It's harmless just unpleasant.

DS just had a new mattress and I just popped it outside across 2 chairs so the air could circulate and after a day outside no smell.

Fleecyleesy Wed 17-Jun-15 21:48:43

I wonder if I could get the bugger outside (it's a double). I reckon that may be a good plan for a sunny day. Worth a try I think (hope no birds poo on it shockgrin).

quietbatperson Thu 18-Jun-15 17:31:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fleecyleesy Thu 18-Jun-15 17:55:34

It's currently in the garden. I'm hoping this whole day outside will do the trick. Otherwise I will have to put it out again tomorrow!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now