Talk

Advanced search

B&Q unloved rooms revamp - review thread for MNers getting stuck in! NOW CLOSED

(454 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-May-13 11:30:29

This thread is for the 20 MNers who have been chosen by B&Q to revamp an unloved room in their home.

Those selected have been sent a B&Q giftcard to buy the things they need to give their unloved room a makeover. They've undertaken to complete the makeover by 3rd June, and will be keeping us up-to-date on how their revamps are going on this thread as well as posting photos.

Please do follow their stories and add your own comments if you want to show some support!

Below are the questions we'd like testers to answer but please feel free to add your own comments too. Please give us a bit of info about the room you're revamping and what you plan to do with it in your response.

- Why is your unloved room unloved? What do you want to change about it? What has stopped you until now?
- Where did you get your inspiration for doing up the room from? What sort of style are you going for etc?
- Have you had much help along the way with the revamp? If so, who from? And what sort of help - practical or ideas-based?!
- How did you find your shopping experience at B&Q? Were the staff helpful? Did you find anything in store you maybe didn't expect to beforehand?
- Did you use any of the help and advice that B&Q offer? This includes their videos on YouTube, leaflets and classes in store etc. If so, how useful was that help and advice?
- If B&Q could do anything more to help you next time you visit, what would it be?
- Have you had any feedback on what you've done with the room from family/friends? Has the transformation had a big impact on you and/or your family?

If you're not an official tester but would like to be in with a chance of winning a £200 B&Q giftcard, please post on this thread to tell us about your own room revamp successes (or failures!) - we'd love to hear from all MNers who have a room makeover story to share!

Thanks very much
MNHQ

JazzAnnNonMouse Sat 01-Jun-13 19:38:55

You lot have inspired me! I'm cracking on with our house grin
Painted the stairs and hall today. It's gone from grubby magnolia with biscuit shite shiney woodwork and clashing manky carpet to sophisticated grey walls and white (only primed so far) wood work. Carpet has been ripped out and we're in the process of cleaning the underlay off the stairs and sanding/priming ready to be painted - have decided to have a runner in various Grey/white stripes shades.

It's looking messy but I can see how it's going to look grin

FourLittleDudes Sat 01-Jun-13 19:47:37

I am drilling holes in the wall to put the tv bracket up, I may have been slightly ambitious with this because even holding the drill is making my arms ache. The tv bracket is really heavy too, I'm not sure how I am going to do it on my own, never mind actually pick the tv up and attach it. Its to heavy for ds1 to help me with, he's only 11. Am thinking if rigging some sort of pulley system. Ds1&2 can pull the ropes and lift the tv up. What's the betting that it gets dropped and smashed shock

FourLittleDudes Sat 01-Jun-13 19:50:51

I have to go back to b&q tomorrow for some more wall paper seeing as some of the last lot I put up seems to have unstuck itself from the wall, going to get my cushions too and am considering wall lights. Excited!

I hope my gift card works though! I think there is £125 left on it still.

IceNoSlice Sat 01-Jun-13 20:53:42

FourLittleDudes I'm sure your card will work, unless it is as scratched as mine was sad

But there is no time limit on spending them AFAIK

nevergoogle Sat 01-Jun-13 20:58:45

Mine is all spent. Although if B&Q want to send me some more money that's ok too. smile The budget didn't stretch to the fancy lighting I had my eye on or a rug...and some more picture frames and wall art.

Still, I'm loving my new room so far. Am not sure how it will come across in the pictures as the colours are quite muted. Fingers crossed though.

ouryve Sat 01-Jun-13 21:27:27

I've neglected this thread somewhat! Been a bit busy!

Like Gazzalw, we've had issues with old paste and spent a lot of time scrubbing and scraping walls, since we can't use lining paper because Picky McPickerson would just pick it off again.

I've been surprised by the paints I've used. I figured on getting a "good brand" of light coloured paint to make sure the uneven colour of the underlying wall was obliterated. I chose Dulux matt in a soft Apricot shade. Now, I love matt paint - I have Laura Ashley in my living room and 1829 in my hall and both have a lovely soft, chalky light diffusing surface. The dulux was awful in comparison - really rough. I couldn't bear to put my hands on it when I was dry. I took what I considered a risk for the main top colour, using B&Q colours silk emulsion in Tangerine dream. It's a really lovely paint to work with. I know it hasn't always been, because I wasn't at all impressed with the tester we used when we last decorated this room, almost a decade ago. But this has surprised me by covering really well in 2 coats, where I've used the roller, though it needs a 3rd in some places around the edge, where I've used a brush. It smells quite pleasant (the dulux smells strongly of formaldehyde) and, all in all, compares favourably with the premium brands of paint I usually go for. Of course, the real test will be how well it stands up to the boys.

I had a few small patches of crazing on the first couple of coats of paint (the Dulux) - I went over them with a thin coat of PVA fortified filler, which seems to have fixed the problem. I also had a few large patches that didn't want to be painted at all. I'm not sure if it was even plaster that they were filled will, because it didn't like being sanded down and they were grey hmm. Thankfully, I had some all purpose undercoat primer to hand that I'd been using on the stairs, which did take and allowed me to use the emulsion on top.

This is how bright the orange I'm using is, compared with the soft Apricot, btw - I sent this one in through the app and couldn't resist the title "The Future's Incredibly Bright" - when I've been painting with this, the rest of the world has taken on a strange blue hue! Ironically, while I've been busy oranging the boys' room, that pine panelling on the landing is the stuff I've taken a break from de-oranging!

ouryve Sat 01-Jun-13 21:28:24

There is a time limit - of 5 years!

gazzalw Sat 01-Jun-13 21:29:55

Sorry I didn't mean to be unhelpful...it's just my memories of gloss go way back to the 60s, 70s and beyond....After half a century on this Earth it feels 'yesterday' to me. Yesterday is probably the new tomorrow wink - tries desperately to dig his way out of a hole.....

My attempt at remedying the crackled paint effect with a different type of emulsion (Dulux) hasn't worked so resorting to the PVA/water mix 'coating'. A wave to B&Q that it would have been helpful to have some expert advice to help us with this problem - it has essentially been a major problem since Monday and to date not yet satisfactorily resolved. DW jokingly said today that at this rate we will need to start from scratch and relining paper the three 'crackled' walls hmm. When working to a deadline, using an amateur's trial and error approach isn't an entirely effective use of time or money resources (we've essentially 'wasted' at least one box of eco-paint) and it does rather make one loose momentum and undermine one's confidence....sad.

That said the room 'dressing' props are all bought and ready to be used, including the new high riser bed....DS champing at the bit to get back into his newly decorated and more spacious feeling room.

Aside from "Crackledpaintgate", we have really enjoyed the 'buzz' from decorating again and I think it will inspire us to do the rest of upstairs again. It has also made DW moan about the basic 'fabric' of the house - it's nearly a hundred years old and not entirely in tip-top condition.

Looking forward to seeing all the before and after pictures including our own :-).

48 hours (max) to go.....have a wine - it's chillax time!

nevergoogle Sat 01-Jun-13 21:41:22

DH putting shelves up now. I've got wine.

ouryve Sat 01-Jun-13 21:48:49

gazzalw - I'm definitely enjoying some wine at the moment! If you really have no luck with paint, would you be willing to cut your losses and wallpaper again? I'm not a huge fan of wallpaper, but it has its uses! Our house isn't as old as yours, but is entitled to its bus pass. This street was built by the national coal board in the 30s and 40s to replace tenements at the other end of the village, closer to the pit.

Though that orange is a little painful with a hangover!

There's loads we've not been able to do with the room. We can't replace the cracked and warped window until we get on with outside work, but DH has done a good job of smartening up the area around the window, with some inexpensive mdf and a lot of paint and filler! We also don't want to pull the wardrobe out and tackle behind there, or fill and paint the ceiling and area above the picture rail until we've dealt with the outside, as we'll need to allow some small damp patches to dry out properly.

I've been trying to get DS1 to build one of his lego props, but he's had no concentration span at all, this week. I don't think we'll be displaying his lego technic supercar on his new shelves, somehow!

gazzalw Sat 01-Jun-13 22:14:17

Well if PVA/glue doesn't work, I will probably repaper the two end walls (not sure I've got enough for all three, time is running out and the round trip without a car is really a waste of time when we effectively have less than 24 hours DIYing time left) and we will repaint those with the Dulux light reflective paint (hoping with everything crossed that this will work) and leave the 'long' wall (which will be hidden by the bed) until we have got some more paper and have a bit more time....

I hope I'm not coming across as a 'Moaning Minnie' on this product trial. We have very much appreciated having this opportunity. I am just wondering whether B&Q anticipated any DIY disasters (I'm assuming not)? I don't think we've ever had one before so it's been a real eye-opener to have to deal with what to us seems like a major one - I guess if we find a solution we will feel very happy that we have logically worked thro' the options.....

Cheers everyone wine!

nevergoogle Sat 01-Jun-13 22:22:49

No, not a moaning minnie. In fact I think it's important feedback about access without a car and how their online/delivery etc could be improved.

As for disasters, DH just put a shelf bracket in the wrong place. The hole will now need filled, sanded and painted.

60 minute makeover....how exactly?

eteo Sat 01-Jun-13 22:46:00

We had completed our room! I am so pleased that I was able to do wallpaper with the help from B&Q video. Their video is excellent and with tips.
Their staffs are also very helpful. They direct me to the right products.

ouryve Sat 01-Jun-13 22:55:48

Has 60 minute makeover still been made, since the advent of HD TV? I bet the finish was bloody awful (and there was paint all over the new carpets)

eteo Sat 01-Jun-13 23:27:50

My kids creating trouble at B&Q! lol

nevergoogle Sat 01-Jun-13 23:41:02

The look like they are having a fab time.

My boys have not enjoyed the trips to B&Q this time around.

I was in B&Q last summer and there was a craft table where the boys made crowns for the jubilee celebrations. That was a great thing. DS2 wore his crown for days afterwards and they felt like they got to have some fun alongside the boring grown up stuff.

eteo Sun 02-Jun-13 00:56:26

Had wrote a blog post! http://www.etspeaksfromhome.co.uk/2013/06/b-unloved-rooms-revamp-with-mumsnet.html

eteo Sun 02-Jun-13 00:58:31

hi nevergoogle,
it is not nice to bring kids along. so scare they break thing! but i told them is for their reading room. so they are ok with that!

IceNoSlice Sun 02-Jun-13 07:31:24

We tried to move in to our new room last night but woke DS up twice (he's only 9 1/2 months) poor thing! Turns out even moving furniture in was too noisy. So we are moving in today, hooray!

gazzalw - not a moaning Minnie at all, just a bit under pressure! And things would have been so much easier if the gift card could be used online, for us too. That is also going in my feedback.

This has turned out to be a lot of fun, thanks MNHQ and B&Q!

Allhandsondeck Sun 02-Jun-13 16:08:12

It is done. The B&Q gift card bought plaster board, carpet, underlay, rug, beanbag cube, lighting, paint, skirting board, window board, table lamp and numerous screws, nails, drill bits etc. We spent every penny (and more) and the deadline made us get our backsides into gear! Other furniture was from IKEA. Feedback so far has been overwhelmingly positive. The storage for toys has been universally approved. DD is very happy now her little brother has his own rug to stretch out on rather than hers whilst earwigging on her Skype conversations. Toys are being played with again now DS can actually find them. He is proud enough at the moment to make his own bed and tidy away too, with luck that will continue...and of course he now has a gorgeous room of his own (with a window), rather than a rather compact, (windowless) 'cupboard'!! Result! B&Q were happy to help when asked and the cafe staff are now on first name terms. We have been inspired to continue and refurbish the rest of upstairs... but might pause for a large gin and tonic first. Thank you MNHQ and B&Q, it's been fun grin

Allhandsondeck Sun 02-Jun-13 16:10:13

Before!

Allhandsondeck Sun 02-Jun-13 16:11:18

After!

Allhandsondeck Sun 02-Jun-13 16:13:02

And more after

ouryve Sun 02-Jun-13 16:41:10

You've created a lovely little space for him there, allhands!

Thos2 lampshades seem to be popular!

ouryve Sun 02-Jun-13 16:45:19

DH is upstairs, busy screwing, hanging and steaming - his folding when he took the curtains down left a lot to be desired!

He only noticed as he was putting them up that one of the shelf brackets is different from the others, so we'll not be able to screw one of the shelves on permanently until we replace that one!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »