Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

NOW CLOSED Does the ironing cause creased brows in your household? Want to get your DP or older/teenage DS doing more ironing? Take part in the Philips Man Iron Product Test

(163 Posts)
NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 10-Aug-11 17:29:29

According to research by Philips, in over 60% of UK households it is women who still do the lion's share of the ironing. On average, women dedicate over an hour a week to ironing compared to 25 minutes for men (40% of men admitted to not ironing at all). With this in mind, Philips has developed a new iron, specifically for men.

Philips say this about their new product "Housed in a robust black outer casing, the new Philips Man Iron exudes masculinity. Unlike any other iron, the appliance boasts a sleek design - resembling that of a premium sports car rather than a conventional iron. The Man Iron is charged to the max with performance-enhancing features to ensure that ironing is quick and simple. With 2,400 watts of power and a scratchproof soleplate, the Philips Man Iron is expertly crafted using the toughest, most durable materials to produce a practically unbreakable tool that can meet the toughest ironing challenges, delivering effortless results in minimum time with minimum fuss."

Philips wants to find 30 Mumsnetters who currently have an ironing-averse man in their life - this could be a DH, DP or DS about to start work or go to uni, to take part in a product test on Mumsnet.

Of course, we know that in many MN households, tasks such as ironing are shared or that one party is happy to undertake the task (or even pay for it to be done by someone else grin). But if you get lumbered with the ironing pile and could do with a new iron to 'encourage' other household members to do their share then this is the test for you!

If you are selected to take part, you will be sent the Philips Man Iron - which is retailing at £60 - which will be yours to keep. All we ask if that your DH/DP/DS etc tries the iron and we ask that you/they add feedback to a thread on Mumsnet about how they got on with it.

Each tester will be sent a link to a video featuring Andrew Martin, author of How to Get Things Really Flat: A Man's Guide to Ironing, Dusting and Other Household Arts, who will give tips on ironing for men (even if you're an expert you may pick up some tips!).

In addition, everyone who takes part and adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky winner will get £100.

To apply to take part please add your details here. We're sorry but this test is only available to UK residents.

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

AtYourCervix Wed 10-Aug-11 17:34:49

Excellent. Ironing is the only housey stuff I do. I'd rather not do any at all.

Although my ironing board disintegrated last week so I could do with a new one of those too.

mynameis Wed 10-Aug-11 17:36:46

Done. Every iron should be marketed as a man iron from now on grin

GypsyMoth Wed 10-Aug-11 17:37:04

a man iron....love it!!

cuddlysmurf Wed 10-Aug-11 17:44:44

This will overcome a host of poor excuses used by DH to not touch my Gorky iron with his shovel-like hands wink

cuddlysmurf Wed 10-Aug-11 17:45:11

Gorky = girly

Cattleprod Wed 10-Aug-11 17:51:38

Is ironing really necessary these days? I haven't ironed anything for about 10 years. That's why they invented lycra!! grin

bagelmonkey Wed 10-Aug-11 17:56:36

I have an ethical objection to ironing. If DH wants something ironed he has to do it himself.

cather Wed 10-Aug-11 18:15:16

What a great idea, I would love some help with the ironing!

aseriouslyblondemoment Wed 10-Aug-11 18:20:37

ooh yes please anything to help lighten my loadsmile

HarrietJones Wed 10-Aug-11 18:27:32

Dh does all our ironing--probably why we are all creased--

Milliways Wed 10-Aug-11 18:31:18

Maybe a Man-Iron will appeal to his must have gadgets list? [incredibly hopeful emoticon]

5inthebed Wed 10-Aug-11 18:31:51

Fab idea! Would love a man iron for DH.

F1lthym1ndedvixen Wed 10-Aug-11 18:54:54

surely Iron Man would sound better than Man Iron.
I'D quite like to try the man iron, actually. I hate ironing. Maybe a bit of gadgetry would excite me to the concept hmm

Tigerbomb Wed 10-Aug-11 19:20:31

oh I hope to hell that I get this. My DH and DS are adamant that they can iron but I have never seen either of them with an iron in their hands. A man iron may just be the edge I need

Lilyloo Wed 10-Aug-11 19:24:35

Are they really marketing it as a man iron ?

bananamam Wed 10-Aug-11 19:37:51

I am female. Dp is female but doesn't iron. Is this closed to gay couples?

Bumperlicious Wed 10-Aug-11 19:44:48

Seriously? Do men fall for this? Do women? There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start!

SilveryMoon Wed 10-Aug-11 19:47:51

Would love a man to iron!
I'm going back to work in a few weeks and have spoken to dp about how I will need more support around the home.
If we get picked, this might have come at just the right time grin

DirtyMartini Wed 10-Aug-11 19:52:25

Agreed, Bumper. Am a bit flabbergasted. It's like an article from The Onion.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 10-Aug-11 20:01:40

What a fucking ludicrous gimmicky sexist idea. Didn't realise it was possible to buy your way out of Being A Sexist Lazy Gitwizard but there you go - consumerism has an answer for everything.

If a man is enough of a knobber to think ironing is 'womens' work' does anyone really think a 'Man Iron' will change his mind? Really?? What next - the Man Washing Machine? Man Vacuum Cleaners?

I don't iron, and I don't consider that to be something I need to 'admit' to like its a dirty secret. If my partner wanted something ironing he'd know what to do, its not rocket bloody science. And I'd be sorely unimpressed if he felt he needed to run out and spend god-knows-how-much on a special Man Iron, like his cock would drop off if he touched the normal iron or something hmm

sidewaysburger Wed 10-Aug-11 20:06:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Bumperlicious Wed 10-Aug-11 20:23:58

QueenofFeckingEverything that is exactly what I wanted to say!

insanityscatching Wed 10-Aug-11 20:25:56

Me please it is to my shame that despite my best efforts ds is a sexist pig blush

Jackstini Wed 10-Aug-11 20:33:57

"a practically unbreakable tool that can meet the toughest ironing challenges, delivering effortless results in minimum time with minimum fuss."

Don't any of their irons do this now then?
I would love to try one to see if ALL the family can use a man iron!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now