Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

NOW CLOSED: Calling all parents of children aged 1 to 7. Do you want to join Pearson's Book Review Panel?

(192 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jul-11 13:28:28

You may know Mumsnet have been working with Pearson to provide some special learning-related content for you.

Linked to the site is a Pearson shop where you can buy educational books for children – Pearson say, "There are touch & feel books for your littlest learners, brilliant fiction and non–fiction for your early readers, science and history books for 9–11 year olds and much more besides – all at great prices and with free UK P&P on all orders over £24.99".

They have now asked us to find 80 Mumsnetters to join a special book review panel. To take part you must:

~ live in the UK
~ have a child aged from 1–7 - in KS1/p2 (If you have more than one child aged 7 and under please choose one child to take part in this review with)
~ be willing to review (and keep!) up to 5 packs of books before the end of the year

[Please note at some stage we will be recruiting parents of children aged 8–11.]

Each reviewer will be sent up to 5 packs of books before the end of the year for review. You'll be asked to take a proper look at the pack, read the books with your child, maybe get together with a group of mums to see what they think, and then submit your review on a special review thread on Talk. Panellists will be asked to submit their reviews within 2 weeks of receiving their review packs. You must review each book pack you receive. If you want to opt out of the project you can at any stage by emailing MNHQ.

If you are selected to take part, MN will email you to let you know. We will then pass on your name, age and gender of your child, and address details to Pearson for them to dispatch your books.

Each panellist will be able to keep the packs they review. Pack values vary from around £7.00 to around £30.00 and contain up to 24 titles. As a thank you for taking part there will be a monthly prize draw (on the last day of each month) for all those who have submitted a review in that month. The prize each month will be £50 of John Lewis vouchers.

The reviews will be used by Pearson to help promote the books to other Mumsnetters – they will link to the feedback thread from the book shop pages and will feature the reviews you send in on the site. Pearson also say "we want the reviews to help us refine and improve our selection of packs for the shop, so if a particular programme is receiving rave reviews, we'll add more titles into the shop and if something isn't being received well, we'll use this feedback to refine our offering."

So if you and your child would like to take part please add your details here.

The first packs will be sent out in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks, MNHQ

DD is 7 but is only in KS1 for another 2 weeks. Is she too old?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jul-11 13:47:54

Yes - it's really for those still in KS1 in Sept (confusing time of year for those moving up/ the age bands etc) sorry.

Kveta Tue 12-Jul-11 13:54:40

ooh, this looks fab. DS is slowly understanding that books are not frisbees, which is making bedtime stories more appealing. And our local library has a rather shoddy selection of books for his age group, plus trips there are a nightmare with a manic toddler. I have hopefully indicated my interest in this product test by completing the form!

No problem, just thought I'd check smile

Lilyloo Tue 12-Jul-11 13:59:38

ohh yes please my dd loves reading

I hope you'll bend the age rules a bit and let her onto the KS2/8-11 one instead then :P

(I should really read the posts properly first time through!)

DorisIsAPinkDragon Tue 12-Jul-11 14:13:53

Oh yes please dd1 is nearly 6 (Aug Born) Yr1 moving to Yr2 in September and LOVES reading. (I'm hoping that the other 2 DD's (2 and 4) will follow her lead!)

Where can I sign up?

BelleEnd Tue 12-Jul-11 14:35:53

Sounds great, have submitted my details. smile

christmasmum Tue 12-Jul-11 14:44:27

Fantastic, fingers crossed!

FannyFifer Tue 12-Jul-11 14:54:13

What's KS1?
I have a 6 year old, going into Primary 2 after the hols.

CareyHunt Tue 12-Jul-11 15:08:46

Dd is 5 but home educated. Can we still join in?

Sirzy Tue 12-Jul-11 15:16:53

Sounds fantastic! How soon will we find out who has been picked?

VeganMummy Tue 12-Jul-11 15:46:47

Have submitted our details. DD (5) is home educated, and is loving her new hobby - reading smile

Fillybuster Tue 12-Jul-11 15:55:26

Done....would LOVE to do this with DS smile

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jul-11 16:02:25

FannyFifer - that's fine
careyhunt - yes - there's space on the form for home ed
DorisIsAPinkDragon - the form is linked to above

Doobydoo Tue 12-Jul-11 16:28:33

Done.

GrownUpNow Tue 12-Jul-11 16:31:45

My DS would absolutely love to do this, I remember writing book reviews for fun when I was little. My little apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

LetUsPrey Tue 12-Jul-11 16:44:23

I've completed it too for DS2. Looks interesting!

ChildofIsis Tue 12-Jul-11 16:45:25

I've applied, hope I get through.

Hufflepuzzpig Tue 12-Jul-11 16:48:07

<crosses fingers> smile

zeeboo Tue 12-Jul-11 16:54:53

I've tried. Fingers crossed!!

MyOneAndOnly Tue 12-Jul-11 18:11:46

I have filled out the questionnaire too. Hope to get some books...

happygilmore Tue 12-Jul-11 18:14:34

Are 1 year olds counted as KS1? Sorry I'm confused (doesn't take much)

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Jul-11 18:32:01

happygilmore...no but they are included - it is any age from 1-7ish (confusion arises if you are finishing KS1)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now