Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

NOW CLOSED Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System - product testers feedback thread

(106 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 24-Jun-11 09:51:13

This thread is for the MNers who have tested Dettol's No-Touch Hand Wash System. All testers who add their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £250 Love2Shop voucher grin. Dettol are also interested in what your child(ren) think of the system so please ask them for their feedback and add it to your post - please include their age with their thoughts.

Below are some questions to get you started. We know that views on germs, hand cleanliness and washing will vary from person to person so if there are any questions you don't have an opinion about, you don't have to answer them. Please feel free to add your own comments as well.

1. Overall, how did you find the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash system to use? What did you like best about it / did you enjoy using it)? What didn't you like, and why?

2. What did your child(ren) think of the hand wash system? What did they like/dislike?

3. Did having the system make your child(ren) wash their hands more regularly and encourage more healthy habits, giving you peace of mind? If so, why? If not, why not?

4. Similarly, do you think you washed your hands any more often, more thoroughly or more willingly as a result of having the system? If so, when did you find yourself doing this when you might not have done before - eg cooking, cleaning, gardening?

5. Where did you put your two hand wash systems? Did they fit well where you put them or not? Were they easy or difficult to set up and use? Did you prefer the white or stainless steel finish?

6. If you were previously concerned about (or at least aware of) germs in your home, do you think that having the system has reassured you or not? Why?

7. What did you think of the antibacterial hand soap? Did you like the fragrance of it or not? How does it compare with other hand washes? Which fragrance did you like best?

8. Overall, do you think that having the hand wash system has made life (at least a bit) easier or not? And why?

9. If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System to your friends with children? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw,
MNHQ

EssentialFattyAcid Fri 24-Jun-11 10:17:06

1. Overall, how did you find the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash system to use? What did you like best about it / did you enjoy using it)? What didn't you like, and why? Loved this product, so convenient and a lovely smell too. It has been particularly great for washing hands when cooking when you have gunk on your hands and don't want to transfer it to the taps

2. What did your child(ren) think of the hand wash system? What did they like/dislike? My dd LOVED this - and particularly liked the noise it made ?!!!

3. Did having the system make your child(ren) wash their hands more regularly and encourage more healthy habits, giving you peace of mind? If so, why? If not, why not? Defnitely more hand washing going on in our house

4. Similarly, do you think you washed your hands any more often, more thoroughly or more willingly as a result of having the system? If so, when did you find yourself doing this when you might not have done before - eg cooking, cleaning, gardening? I washed my hands the same amount but found it more enjoyable and convenient!

5. Where did you put your two hand wash systems? Did they fit well where you put them or not? Were they easy or difficult to set up and use? Did you prefer the white or stainless steel finish? Cloakroom and kitchen. Managed to spill soap on the floor by not reading the instructions in advance hmm Preferred the white version as I am not a stainless steel fan

6. If you were previously concerned about (or at least aware of) germs in your home, do you think that having the system has reassured you or not? Why? Kids more likely to wash their hands now

7. What did you think of the antibacterial hand soap? Did you like the fragrance of it or not? How does it compare with other hand washes? Which fragrance did you like best? Like the soap, but not sure if antibacterial is a good idea or if overly sterile and therefore encouraging allergies?

8. Overall, do you think that having the hand wash system has made life (at least a bit) easier or not? And why? YES!! ITs more fun!

9. If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System to your friends with children? If so, why? If not, why not? Defnitely. Great for adults who cook, and really encourages hand washing for the kids

Thanks for the free trial. It was a lot of fun and the product is great - I would probably never have tried it if I hadn't had this trial.

Monstermuncher Fri 24-Jun-11 10:39:58

1. Overall, how did you find the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash system to use? What did you like best about it / did you enjoy using it)? What didn't you like, and why?

I like it - I find it especially useful in the kitchen when preparing food, eg when handling raw meat you don't want to wash your hand then wash the soap dispensor afterwards as well. V easy to use and I like the fact that it doesn't drip, meaning less bathroom sink carnage after DD has used it.

2. What did your child(ren) think of the hand wash system? What did they like/dislike?

My 5 yr old was amazed by it "how does it know my hand is there?". It is now referred to as magic soap.

3. Did having the system make your child(ren) wash their hands more regularly and encourage more healthy habits, giving you peace of mind? If so, why? If not, why not?

We are probably all washing our hands a bit more which is a good thing.

4. Similarly, do you think you washed your hands any more often, more thoroughly or more willingly as a result of having the system? If so, when did you find yourself doing this when you might not have done before - eg cooking, cleaning, gardening?

Probably used it a bit more as I am very conscious of the dispensor being there. Its also a bit of a novelty a the moment, if we had these all the time the effect would probably wear off.

5. Where did you put your two hand wash systems? Did they fit well where you put them or not? Were they easy or difficult to set up and use? Did you prefer the white or stainless steel finish?

Steel one in the kitchen as it matches the fittings, white one in the bathroom. I prefer the look of the steel one I think. Easy to set up but I don't think they look so nice once the dispensor is in as it sticks out of the top, I am fussy I know..

6. If you were previously concerned about (or at least aware of) germs in your home, do you think that having the system has reassured you or not? Why?

DD washes her hands after every loo visit now without having to be reminded which is a bonus.

7. What did you think of the antibacterial hand soap? Did you like the fragrance of it or not? How does it compare with other hand washes? Which fragrance did you like best?

Nice fragrances, I like the cucumber one, its a bit different.

8. Overall, do you think that having the hand wash system has made life (at least a bit) easier or not? And why?

Yes, definitely a convenience product, very useful in the kitchen and good for children.

9. If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System to your friends with children? If so, why? If not, why not?

No, sorry! Its a good product and certainly a hit with children but the refills are very expensive and this would put me off. I have seen these in the shops and been curious about them but they are too pricey.

Thanks for letting us trial it!

shinytrousers Fri 24-Jun-11 10:52:03

1. Overall, how did you find the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash system to use? Loved it. The system is really easy to use and dispenses just the right amount - a particular problem previously when my daughter did remember to wash her hands she used to use 3-4 pumps of soap and got it everywhere. I particulary liked this in the kitchen; I do a lot of cooking and baking and negotiating a normal pump dispenser with your elbow can be very tricky. I was a lot happier about the cleanliness of the soap dispenser in the bathroom too as the pump can be difficult to keep clean. I had two slight problems at first and one concern: 1. my daughter wanted to keep picking it up to look at it - hence soap dribbles all over the place, this was soon rectified after a thourough investigation with it turned off a few times. 2. I found the soap left my hands quite dry, which I found strange as I have used Dettol soaps before with no problem. 3. Not sure how robust it would be if it got knocked off my bathroom sink onto a tiled floor - perhaps a hard wearing child version that bounces would be a good addition.

My daughter absolutely loved it - it was a real novelty to begin with, especially when I told it was hers to keep safe in the bathroom. She called it her soap robot (i think it was the noise it made).

3. Did having the system make your child(ren) wash their hands more regularly and encourage more healthy habits, giving you peace of mind?
Definitely. I had quite a job trying to get my daughter to wash her hands after using the toilet and before meals previously. Now I don't even have to ask, quite often I find her washing her hands just to make sure they are clean. Less nagging is always a good thing!

4. Similarly, do you think you washed your hands any more often, more thoroughly or more willingly as a result of having the system?
I found I wash giving my hands a proper was more often, rather than a quick rinse under the tap. The dispenser in the kitchen was a real plus.

White one in the bathroom - matches well. Stainless steel in the kitchen, again matched the stainless steel equipment we have. Size was just right and blended in well.

6. If you were previously concerned about (or at least aware of) germs in your home, do you think that having the system has reassured you or not?
My daughter definitely washes her hands a bit more. I'm not obsessively concerned about germs as I think being overly clean makes people more susceptible to illness. I little dirt is fine in my eyes!

I liked the fragrance and do generally use antibacterial in the kitchen due to the amount of raw meat I handle. (I know, contradict my last point). However, as mentioned before it left my skin a little dry.

8. Overall, do you think that having the hand wash system has made life easier?
Definitely, less nagging and more hand washing!

9. If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System to your friends with children?
It would not have been something that I would have purchased without this trial (just another gimmick came to mind when I first saw the advert), but I will defnitely keep on using it. Family who have used it when visiting have also commented so I think Dettol have already had a few sales from me!

ComeWhineWithMe Fri 24-Jun-11 10:56:30

It was easy to set up and use. I liked the look of the steel one and thought both smelt nice. I did like the soap it made my hands feel fresher and softer.
I didn't like the cleaning up of loads of soap dribbles from when the dc missed or someone had set the sensor of by mistake.

My dc thought it was a huge novelty and for a couple of days smelt strongly of cucumber, I think the number of times my 5 year old had to go to the loo was doubled also! hmm

Yes.

No I washed them as much as I usually do.

I put one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. They were very easy to set up. I preferred the steel one.

Not really we always have hand soap in the house.

I liked the cucumber one the best my hands felt softer after using and very clean.

I suppose it has encouraged the dc to wash their hands more but all in all it is just another handwash with a fancy dispenser.

I would say it was a good product but I wouldn't tell them to rush out and buy one. I think it is too expensive for what it is and the refills are very expensive, in my house we get through 2 bottles of normal hand wash a fortnight and I pay about a 1.00 a bottle for a new one. If I continued to use Dettol I would probably be paying just under 6.00 a week for two refills. As I have noticed this soap seems to run out a lot faster, the one in the bathroom was almost gone after 6 days. Then you have to think about replacing batteries. It all seems a bit of a faff TBH.

Thankyou for letting us try it though smile

Semolina2 Fri 24-Jun-11 10:58:44

Firstly TQ for letting us test this product. I was sceptical about it but wondered if it would make DD remember to wash her hands.

2) DD is 4, she was interested in the product and kept saying "isn't it clever". This promoted a discussion of how the product worked so jolly educational there. She liked the noise.

3) She has always been very thorough in her hand washing, just forgetful. Product made no difference to either of these aspects.

4) Er no, I washed my hands exactly the same amount of times, ie when they needed to be washed!

5) One in kitchen, one in bathroom. Product wouldn't fit in cloakroom as the sink is very small. Very easy to set up. Not too fussed about colour. I did wonder if it would constantly be going off by accident but actually seemed well behaved in that aspect.

6) No, because we all washed our hands the same number of times!

7) Quite liked the fragrances. We use normally use antibacterial soap anway.

8) No, it's a soap! It hasn't changed my life!!!!

9) No I wouldn't recommend it because:

1) Overall thoughts
Dettol have done a good job of coming up with a product that nobody actually needs, perfect in terms of marketing. Germs are still on the taps, unless you have hospital taps, we do in the kitchen, but not in the bathroom. Germs are all around, get over it. This product taps into the 'ooh Mums you are bad parents if you allow a germ in your house, see our shiny gadget that can make you a better person' myth. Ladies, resist.

It dispenses too much soap, no adjustability.

It uses 4 batteries!!!! Obviously we don't know how long they will last.

The refills cost £3. What???? The soap I normally buy costs 70p. Why on earth would I pay so much more? I would however punch a hole in the top and refill with normal price soap, if only to use up the batteries. wink

going Fri 24-Jun-11 11:07:18

It's a great novelty product. Very easy to use. Liked both of the fragrances and made my hands feel very clean and fresh.

Kids loved it! So much so the one in the bathroom only lasted 5 days. One of my children had a party and the girls made a lot of toilet trips which I suspect was due to the soap in the bathroom!

I do think they washed their hands more often as my pump bottle soap can last for weeks. I had to keep removing my 3 year old from the bathroom and kitchen dispensers as he loved using it so much. I didn't feel anymore or less worried about germs.

I really liked having it in the kitchen so I could wash my hands when preparing foods such as raw meat. Also liked using it after cleaning out my wheelie bins. Made me feel clean. Don't think I washed my hands more than I usually would.

I put the white one in the bathroom, balanced on my very small sink. Didn't really fit very well but was usable. If I refill it I will move it upstairs.

I put the stainless steal finish one in the kitchen and it looks really good.

Very easy to set up. it was quicker and easier to set up the one in which the batteries were already inserted but the other was also easy and quick.

I'm not really too fussy about germs and didn't feel any differently having the soap.

They were both pleasent but I liked the Aloe vera one best. Both made my hands feel clean and freash and didn't dry out my skin. The frangrances seemed quite strong compared to others but I like that.

In the kitchen yes as I can turn my tap on with my elbow so don't worry about getting raw food germs on my taps.

Didn't really make a difference in the bathroom as we have to use our hands to switch the taps on and off so it's not really anyless germy than using a pump action soap. ALso had to clean up after my son after he played with the soap!

I don't think I will recommend it for children due to expense. I would recommend it for hand cleaning after cooking.

Will probably buy more soap for the kitchen but definatley not for the bathroom.

Thanks for picking me to test!!

AlisonJuggler Fri 24-Jun-11 12:00:53

My family and I have been testing our two new Dettol no-touch dispensers for about a week. I have four children aged 4-10 years old, and they're not generally very good hand-washers! I don't insist on hand-washing very often, unless their hands are clearly grubby as I'm of the opinion that a few germs help to build up your immune system. (My children are very rarely unwell, and between them they have only missed about 2 weeks off school - ever!) However, I certainly wouldn't discourage regular hand-washing and of course I wash my hands regularly during cooking and cleaning. So I was interested so see what impact this new system would have on my household.

I placed one dispenser by the kitchen sink and one by the sink in our utility room. They were easy to set up. However, I wasn't able to put one in my bathroom as the dispenser is too big to fit on my sink, and the window ledge is too high, so I'll have to stick with my regular soap.

My children have enjoyed using them and found them easier to use than pressing the top of our usual liquid soap (which often seems to fall over as they press).

We all like the smell of the cucumber one best (the other one smells 'grannyish' according to my 8 year old), and I prefer the look of the stainless steel dispenser as it blends-in better.

The amount of soap dispensed is rather large for my 4 year old's hands - it seems a bit wasteful - but he has been washing his hands more often and more independently now that we have the dispenser.

However, I have found it a bit of a pain that they sometimes dispense a blob of soap accidentally. For example one of the dispensers lets out a blob of soap every time I wipe the work surface around it (which I often have to do because my tap splashes water everywhere!). Another time I needed to move it out of the way to reach something, and it blobbed on the floor. I'm sure if I had more brain cells I'd switch it off first! But perhaps a two-stage system would be less prone to accidental dispensing... eg wave your hand over a sensor on the top to switch it 'on' and then put your hand under the spout to dispense the soap.

It is handy when cooking not to have to touch the soap dispenser to wash your hands - I do worry a bit about germs spreading when I use my normal soap dispenser, particularly when I've been handling meat - but in order to be completely germ-free I'd need one of those fancy taps which dispenses water without touching it as well... dream dream!

I think I would probably recommend this system to a friend, although it's probably a bit pricey for what it is. The best soap dispenser I have is a re-fillable one from Pampered Chef which uses only about 10% soap and the rest is water - it's way more economical, and my kids love the blob of 'foam' it produces. But having said that I do like the hands-free aspect of the Dettol dispenser.

Kahuna Fri 24-Jun-11 12:04:30

Liked the look and smell of the product. Particularly liked the steel version as this fitted very will with my kitchen décor.

My children loved it so much that the bathroom one is almost gone (white).
It probably would already be used up if it weren’t for the fact that it stopped working properly after a couple of days – the sensor doesn’t always work.

The children liked the system and used it to wash their hands more regularly.
Not so much peace of mind for me as I had to supervise them more than I did with a pump action soap due to the novelty and unreliability of the bathroom unit.

No more than normal.

The steel one in the kitchen. The white one in the cloackroom.
They were very easy to set up and use, but I would have preferred the look of both if there was a matching cap or something to place over the top of the bottle so it wasn’t sticking out and spoling the overall look of the units.

Not really any more than my usual anti-bac soap. The only difference being that I didn’t have to touch the unit to get the soap, but the benefit of that is lost as soon as you touch the tap to rinse the product off your hands – point?

Yes, I like both fragrances. They are a little different to my usual soaps.

No, probably a little harder due to the novelty factor with the children and unreliability of the white unit – see responses 2 and 3.

Probably not. It’s way too expensive.

Thanks for letting me trial it though.

philmassive Fri 24-Jun-11 12:08:37

Flipping blooming heck. Just completed all my answers to this and computer crashed and lost them all. Grrrr! angry

Ok, here goes again! We've been using the system for a week now.

I love it. We have had an increase in the amount of good quality handwashing in our house and an increase in hand washing without being reminded or cajoled. Only slight dislike is that I think it could do with dispensing a bit less soap each time. I was pleased to see that it didn't drip and leave a gungy blob of soap underneath it.

Ds's (8 and 4) love it, they call it the 'magic soap'. They love the smell, especially of the cucumber one. DS1 (8) who is heavily anti fruit and vegetables was horrified to find that the 'lovely smell' was cucumber grin

Yes, definitely they washed their hands more, and to a better level than they did with normal soap. Also liked the fact that you could hear that they had used soap by the little buzzing noise!

I didn't wash my hands any more often as I'm a bit of a handwashing fiend ordinarily, but it was nice not to have to touch the soap dispenser when I had been preparing raw chicken.

The white one is in the bathroom/toilet and the silver one is by the kitchen sink. They fitted fine and would also have done if I'd done it vice versa. Would also have fitted if they had been pink/blue/orange/purple etc I am not much of a one for co-ordination!
I would really like a wall mounted version of the dispensor for our little loo as this one is too big for the side of the mini sink in there.

Wouldn't say that I was 'concerned' but it is nice to know that the boys are washing their hands more often and also to know that they are definitely using soap, not just rinsing, especially after playing with the dog.

Soap is lovely. Both DS1 and I suffer from dry hands and we have not had this with the dettol soap. Often antibacterial soap is a bit harsh. Cucumber smell definitely the favourite.

Yes, less nagging and cajoling for boys to wash their hands. Happy.

Would recommend it and actually already have. Only thing I don't know is how much refills are and how often batteries would need changing. But it would have to be a significantly higher cost than buying new normal soap to make me not use it.

Thanks dettol and mumsnet for letting me have a try of this!

Merrylegs Fri 24-Jun-11 12:32:36

I thought the dispensers looked very big in the packaging but once I'd hacked through the plastic they were pretty straightforward to put together and really simple to use- although I wish I'd put the aloe vera in the white once to match <anal>.

My kids were very impressed! DS (14) said he much preferred not having to touch any soap or faff about with a pump dispenser. DD (10 and the most unreliable hand washer) uses it all the time as it is fun and easy. DS (16) was a leetle bit more hmm about it - 'pointless but fun' was his verdict - "Look, they've invented something we didn't know we needed.'

However, my kids are all old enough to stick with the 'one dispense' option. WLT know how those with toddlers got on!

I am always nagging at the kids to wash their hands but with this I don't need too, so yes, I guess there is 'peace of mind' (or 'peace from mum'). But actually, they are never ill anyway so not sure how the extra washing will affect that. And yes, I think I am washing my hands more 'just because it's there', but similarly that just means I am using more water. Is that a good thing?

One system is in the family bathroom, one in the downstairs loo. I have no stainless steel fittings so I would have chosen the white.

We all liked the cucumber fragrance but were underwhelmed with the aloe vera. The other fragrances (green tea?) sound much more exciting and I would probably buy a refill just to try them.

Overall we have enjoyed using the product - (thank you very much!) and we are definitely washing our hands more. However I don't think I could justify the expense and I am convinced products like this don't have any longevity - they inevitably break - (cf electric toothbrushes.) I could imagine this becoming a bit of a white elephant when you forget the batteries or it dies on you.

However, this is the kind of product my parents would absolutely love - they have the disposable income to be able to justify the expense (and they are clean freaks grin).

Hulababy Fri 24-Jun-11 13:09:28

Not part of the official test bit have these systems at home. Can I contribute?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 24-Jun-11 13:17:23

fire away hulababy !

CandiceMariePratt Fri 24-Jun-11 14:24:45

I found it easy to use and enjoyed the novelty factor of it. Not so keen on the fact it was a bit over sensitive and tend to ejaculate when you didn't want it to!

My children loved the "magic" soap. Was very easy for them to use

It is possible that my children have washed their hands almost too much

I did wash my hands more often just because it was so easy to use

We had one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. I preferred the stainless steel one but would have liked them in bright bold colours

I don't think the system has made any difference to my germ concern

They both had a nice smell, much like any soap

Yes it has made life easier as I don't have to nag the children to wash their hands

Yes I would recommend it because it does encourage clean hands.

MisSalLaneous Fri 24-Jun-11 14:37:41

I like the idea - not so convinced that it would lead to less germs spreading, as you obviously still have to touch the taps, but it does ensure that we all use soap vs water only (ds!). I like that the sensor is very sensitive, so always dispenses when required. I don't like: It dispenses way too much product at a time. I would have preferred one dispensing half that amount, especially when it would be used by children too.

Ds is 3 and he loved it. Used up about 1/4 of the bottle on the first day (we didn't notice in time!), but better after strict rules of when it can be used, and once only. I think he liked the "magic" of it, and the sound good.

Yes, but in a bad way at first! He always washes his hands after bathroom trips anyway, but with this "toy" he would have done it all day if not checked. I would check / put away if other young children visited for the first time for this reason.

Not in the bathroom as I am quite thorough there anyway, but I have washed my hands more often in the kitchen when not really required as it's so easy - e.g. after tidying up etc.

White one in bathroom, stainless steel in kitchen. I liked stainless steel one best - it looked more stylish (well, for a cleaning product anyway). Very easy to set up and use.

No, not really. I don't really think this product is any different from a normal soap dispenser (important part is washing, not the antibacterial aspect), but I like the automatic dispenser, especially for children.

As above, I don't think the antibacterial aspect makes any difference whatsoever. Fragrance is nice, although could be slightly less perfumed on the cucumber (which smells like apple to me) one.

I really don't like the thickness of the cucumber one. Compared to the Aloe Vera one, it takes forever to wash off. Aloe Vera is fine and my preference due to this. If on fragrance only, I would have picked Cucumber, but slightly less perfumed if given a choice.

It made hand washing more fun for ds, yes, but I think it would be best for 5 year olds who can open / close the taps reliably.

I would recommend it for the kitchen, but until they can dispense less, not for the bathroom. The reason here is that our kitchen tap can be opened by my forearm, so can be completely handsfree there. In bathroom, I still have to open tap, and the product on its on is not good enough as a novelty factor. Due to the amount dispensed, it would work out too expensive for something that is, in essence, the same as a hand pump.

I know this isn't an actual question, but I would like to add:
What would your favourite version of this be?
Same size dispenser, same sensor, but dispensing antibacterial foam when water not needed / available. We have those at work and it is brilliant when you don't really need to wash properly, but want to feel cleaner without fuss.
I would put something like that out on a table if having a picnic / outdoors lunch etc.

MrsOlf Fri 24-Jun-11 14:55:11

We've all enjoyed using the soap dispenser. DD1 is keen as they have "magic" soap machines like this at school and DD2 likes it as it means she can wash her hands ALL the time! DD2 has also washed her whole top half with one dispense of soap... This could make it expensive due to the huge amount of soap dispensed each time. It would be better if you could adjust the amount as I feel it is an excessive amount even for adults.

It's particularly good in the kitchen when we've been handling raw meat/fish/bins etc. I can imagine it would be good for parents with babies too post nappy changes etc.

The soap was not at all drying either, which is good.

Both DDs (4 and 2) loved it and it ensured a lot of extra hand washing during the week we've had it in place. There was nothing either girls disliked about it!

We definitely had cleaner hands due to the system. Any excuse to wash their hands was followed by a run to the bathroom and lots of giggling as the soap dispensed and then proper handwashing. Sometimes this was followed by an immediate second wash (just to be sure they had clean hands!!)

No extra handwashing, but it was nice not to touch anything when washing hands after raw meat etc and emptying bins.

We put the white one in the upstairs bathroom first but then moved it to the downstairs toilet as the girls spent all their time washing hands upstairs... The stainless steel one went in the kitchen. Agree with previous reviewer that a smaller or wall mounted one would be good for small downstairs bathrooms.

Cleaner hands are always a good thing with little ones - my children spends lots of time making mud pies in the garden and getting the mud out from under their nails requires proper handwashing which normally ends in shouting when Mummy gets involved! No shouting this week as hands are being washed whenever possible. Not sure how long the novelty will continue though...

The cucumber one smells delicious! My hands get dry very quickly (probably due to the huge amount of hand washing/washing up/general cleaning that most Mums do) but they haven't done this week, which is great.

Definitely less nagging for handwashing - thank you!

Definitely and I already have to several people. The only downside is the cost of the replacement soap, which seems to be a bit pricey.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to test the soap dispensers!

feenic Fri 24-Jun-11 14:58:14

You have won me over with this product, even though i didn't think it'd be possible, as the price is quite expensive.
The kids loved it, "it's like the one in shopping centre" "it's magic", were there responses.
We have one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. Very convienent in the kitchen after food preparation and cooking.
The one in the bathroom is in constant use, and the boys, never forget to wash their hands-so, well done dettol!-
The system was easy to set up, doesn't take up alot of sink space and i have no preference to colour/style.
I have to say, i'm not keen on the cucumber fragrance, but boys prefer because it's green.
I would definetly recommend to friends with children as it creates fun and hygiene and the same time.

Thank you for giving me the chance to trial in our home.

poopoopoo Fri 24-Jun-11 15:15:15

After trying the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System..............

The dispenser is really simple to use, the instructions are clear and once in place it took a couple of tries to get it primed, then we were washing! I love the aesthetics of the Stainless look pump in the kitchen; it is smart and goes really well with the appliances. After preparing a roast chicken it is great, no mess or annoying pump to fiddle with when you might have germs on your hands. I also like the fact there is no more fussing about, wondering where you or someone else decided to place the old soap pump; the dispenser sits firmly on the side of the sink and requires no repositioning, because it won’t fall over easily (unless you give it a massive shove!).

I wonder a bit about the environmentally friendliness of the product, it taking four AA batteries. When you weigh up the advantages and compare it to the children’s toys in the great scheme of things does it matter? I think it would be good if they could make one with a recharge base, as with electric toothbrushes.

The kids think its great and they can use it without help. My little girl loves the smell of the Hydrating Cucumber Splash soap. It gives a good amount of soap that is not drying; your hands feel soft and fresh after washing. The dispenser stays clean from drips of soap and mess unlike conventional soap pumps, so gives a better impression in general if you have visitors. I think it is important to teach the kids why they need to wash away dirt and germs and not just apply hand gel; alcohol gel should only be for when you have no visible dirt and no water available! The price is reasonable when you consider that you are doing your best to improve your families’ immune defences. Children get enough exposure to germs at school! The only problem is, now I need some new ‘no-touch taps’!

chrisrobin Fri 24-Jun-11 15:59:45

We enjoyed using the dispenser, it was convenient and meant I didn't get muck all over the top of the soap disenser as usually happens. It was more attractive than a normal soap dispenser but the labels on the product annoyed me. The pictures and detol symbol were neither above nor below the edge of the machine meaning I could see part pictures. Its only a little thing but it did annoy me after a while. As part of the premise of these machines is to look sleek I would have thought that it would be better to design a label where the pictures and branding were not dissected by the product.

DS1 (age 5): It's cool, it's clever and knows when I need to wash my hands.
DS2 (age 3): It's magic and clean
The boys liked the automation and being able to put soap on their hands themselves without covering their clothes- hand pumps tend to sqirt too fiercely. DS2 is just learning to wash his hands by himself so it was reassuring to know I wasn't going into a bathroom full of soap but he would be able to be independent and less messy.

Yes, they definitely washed their hand more regularly. They also washed their hands for longer as the amount of soap dispensed had to be washed off. They were going to wash their hands of their own accord rather than me telling them they were mucky pups.

I don't think I washed my hands more regularly but I did wash them for longer due to the amount of soap dispensed.

The stainless steel one went in my kitchen and the white one in the bathroom. It could not go in the downstairs bathroom because the size of the unit meant putting it on the window sil which the boys could not reach. They were very simple to set up. I preferred the stainless steel one.

I wasn't overly concerned about germs but I do like to have an antibacterial soap for in the kitchen for when I am dealing with raw meat. I don't think it has given me any more reassurance than my manual pump dispensers.

The anti bac was good, I loved the cucumber fragrance, so life-like and fresh. The fragrance was a lot less clinical than some anti-bac soaps I have used in the past.
DS1: I like the smell, it's not girly.

It has made life a bit easier as my boys are more independent with their hand washing and take the initiative to wash their hands without me nagging.

I would say that its a good system particularly for children who are potty training. I find the price off-putting and I believe most of my friends would say this too.

Thanks for letting us try it, I'm sure if the refills came up on offer at the supermarket we would probably buy them as the boys do think they are fun.

stingo39 Fri 24-Jun-11 17:10:03

1. I think it is a great product, I liked the convenience of the system. The handwash itself felt very luxurious.

2. The children absolutley loved it, infact I have never seen them wash their hands so much! the only downside of this was that the one I put in the bathroom was used up in 5 days!

3. Yes, it made them wash their hands more than necessary

4. I normally wash my hands more than the average person (so I have been told) so I did not find that the system increased my handwashing.

5. I put the stainless steel one in the kitchen and the white one in the bathroom. They both fitted in quite well and were easy to set up. I prefered the white finish.

6. I am always concerend about germs but not necessarily in the home, the system did not reassure me as you still need to turn the tap on with your hands to lather the soap up.

7. We all preferred the antibacterial one, the fragrance was lovely. Compared to other handwashes, this one felt more luxurious. My hands do seem to be more softer than before.

8. To be quite honest it has not made any difference, except the children do not have to be asked more than once to wash their hands!.....but will the novelty last?

9. I would definitley recommend it, it is a great product but the refills are to pricey. It would be great if they done a shower unit for shampoo's or shower gel.

We have been using the system for about a week. I like the smell of the cucumber soap and the fact that my 2yo could dispense her own soap.I didn't like cleaning up dribbles of soap from where the dispenser had gone off because someone had sat on the toilet.

DS, 5 thought it was 'really cool' and wanted to know how it 'knew' when to wash your hands. DD, 2 was really proud that she could wash her hands without me dispensing the soap for her and kept saying 'magic soap, mummy!'.

I think it definitely encouraged hand washing, especially DD as she could now do it by herself. Although I am of the opinion that a bit of dirt is good for the immune system so I wouldn't say it gave me peace of mind.

With a child in nappies, 6mo puppy and 7 week old kitten I don't think there is time in the day for me to wash my hands any more than I did before!

I had one in the downstairs loo to start with, but it developed a habit of going off everytime someone sat on the loo so quickly got moved to the kitchen. The other was by the bathroom sink. I liked the stainless steel look best. It fitted in well with my kitchen

As I posted above, I think a bit of dirt is a good thing. As long as children aren't playing with raw meat and slurry, they should be ok.

I liked the cucumber soap, it had a very clean smell. The other one unfortunately didn't like me, which surprised me as I don't have sensitive skin but it rally made me itch. I thought they both had a very luxurious feel to the liquid.

The big plus point as far as I'm concerned was allowing my 2yo to wash her own hands without help.

I would say it is a good product but I'm not sure I would recommend it, as the refills are really expensive. Add to that the original outlay for the system, and battery replacements and it seems a really expensive way to wash your hands.

Thanks for letting us try it though.

Sorry, DS is 6, not 5 blush

ScarlettIsWalking Fri 24-Jun-11 19:48:32

I really liked it. I was very sceptical about this at first but having used it I am really impressed. I got used to the ease of it as opposed to the slippery soap that leaves marks on the sink. I loved the cucumber one and it permeated by bathroom - yum. I thought it dispensed a bit too much in the squirt, but I bet that's to get us to buy more refils quicker.

DD loved the novelty and washed her hands a lot at first, wearing off a bit now but it has still made an impact and very easy for her now. She can be v hurried and something this quick really appealed to her nature.

Yes most definately

No more that usual really but just addicted to the cucumber one - not so keen on the other flavour

Extremely easy - one in downstairs toilet one in bathroom. I liked them both the same

No I know my house is very clean and germ free anyway

As above - cucumber! grin

Yes I suppose. It is not so much the fact that the pump gets dirty it is just annoying to have to pump it out. Now we just stick out our hand of course it's easier.

9. If it cam e up in conversation, do you think you would recommend the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System to your friends with children? If so, why? If not, why not?
Absolutely, it's just nicer easier and looks better in the bathroom

vnmum Fri 24-Jun-11 20:08:47

1. Overall, how did you find the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash system to use? What did you like best about it / did you enjoy using it)? What didn't you like, and why? I found the system easy to set up and use and convenient. There was less mess with the system and DH found it very useful for when he was doing food prep with raw meat

2. What did your child(ren) think of the hand wash system? What did they like/dislike? My children loved it, DS liked how it gives just the right amount of soap. They said there was nothing they disliked about it. I told them both that they only need to use it once and that stopped any messing about with it

3. Did having the system make your child(ren) wash their hands more regularly and encourage more healthy habits, giving you peace of mind? If so, why? If not, why not? The children did seem to wash their hansd slightly more regularly but it was more a case of less nagging from me. They would do it when i asked rather than complaining about it. There was also considerable less mess after they had used the system

4. Similarly, do you think you washed your hands any more often, more thoroughly or more willingly as a result of having the system? If so, when did you find yourself doing this when you might not have done before - eg cooking, cleaning, gardening? I didn't find myself washing my hands more than usual

5. Where did you put your two hand wash systems? Did they fit well where you put them or not? Were they easy or difficult to set up and use? Did you prefer the white or stainless steel finish? I put the white one in the bathroom and the silver one in the kitchen. They fit in well and were easy to use

6. If you were previously concerned about (or at least aware of) germs in your home, do you think that having the system has reassured you or not? Why? I was aware of good hygeine before and i believe that some germs are good for the immune system, too much antibac can be detrimental. the system made no difference to this

7. What did you think of the antibacterial hand soap? Did you like the fragrance of it or not? How does it compare with other hand washes? Which fragrance did you like best? I liked both soaps but my favourite was the aloe vera one. I liked the smell and it felt creamy and didn't dry my hands like some antibac soaps do

8. Overall, do you think that having the hand wash system has made life (at least a bit) easier or not? And why? I suppose it has made it a bit easier in that i'm not having to nag the kids to wash their hands and also there is less cleaning up to do

9. If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend the Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System to your friends with children? If so, why? If not, why not? I would recommend it for the reasons i found it useful for but I do think the price of the refills are expensive, especially compared with normal pump soaps. If the price of refills were dropped considerably then i would have no problems in fully recommending it

curlywurl Fri 24-Jun-11 20:13:10

It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be we have a tiny sink in the downstairs bathroom so there was no chance of using it in there. For some reason I thought there would be an option to mount it on the wall by suckers or sticky pads maybe this would make it better for small spaces.

It was easy to set up and does seem not to drip at all which surprised me. Soap smells lovely but it does dispense far more than I would usually use to wash my hands. When I've used it afew times in a short space of time e.g when doing dirty jobs in the kitchen my hands got sore maybe due to using so much soap rather than what was in the soap?

My little boy hasn't got to use it much as I couldn't use one in the small bathroom where he would usually wash his hands but when he has used it he really liked it. At 3 years he finds it hard to use normal dispenser bottles but whether he would have kept his hands still long enough to catch all the soap from the automatic dispenser is another thing.

It is really expensive though and being a cheap skate I'll probably try to refill the bottles rather than buy Dettol refills - they wanted the truth didn't they?

Agree with what others have said though that it doesn't really prevent the spread of germs as the tap is what you touch after you wash you hands not the soap dispenser

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now