Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

NOW CLOSED: Do you have a child who suffers from asthma or dust allergies? Would you like to review a SHARP Plasmacluster air purifier? 10 reviewers needed - each will receive £50 high street gift voucher

(87 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Nov-10 14:02:52

Sharp are looking for 10 Mumsnetters who have at least one child with asthma and/or dust allergies who are willing to try one of their Plasmacluster air purifiers (worth up to £549) for a period of up to 3 months and to add diary style feedback on Mumsnet. The product will be collected at the end of the 3 months.

Having recently launched the new KC range of air purifiers Sharp are now looking to recruit 10 families throughout the UK who have children who suffer from either asthma or dust allergies. Sharp would like each family to trail this new air purifier constantly for 3 months, while adding feedback about their personal experiences on Mumsnet Talk.

Sharp are looking to receive parental feedback on how reviewers feel that using the Sharp air purifier has eased such allergies. This feedback will only be used by Sharp to inform their development of the product, it will not be treated as a clinical trial.

Here's what they say about the product: "In the UK 5.4 million people are effected by asthma with many suffering from dust allergies. To help alleviate such symptoms which can be triggered by indoor airborne contaminants, Sharp have developed a range of Plasmacluster air purifiers which provide unpolluted, clean filtered air around the home.

"The Plasmacluster air purifiers work alongside a built in humidifier, which automatically tracks the humidity in the room and reduces the levels of static electricity build up. Dust particles are therefore unable to attach themselves to household fabrics and so remain airborne, facilitating their effective removal through the three stage filtration process. The powerful airflow system works in conjunction with the Plasmacluster Technology to remove microscopic dust particles which can exacerbate asthma & allergy symptoms."

SHARP would like Mumsnetters who have a child who suffers from asthma or dust allergies to review the product for them. This would involve posting on Mumsnet about your experiences with the product in your home over a period of about 3 months. We'd set up a thread with specific questions on and you'd be welcome to post on the thread at any time.

At the end of the review period Sharp may ask if you would be willing to act as a case study where your story would be featured on Mumsnet and possibly elsewhere. This can be anonymous if you'd like and there is no obligation from taking part in the review.
We're looking for a range of reviewers from those who have a child with mild asthma or dust allergies to those with more severe symptoms.

If you are selected to review the Plasmacluster Technology, your name and address will be sent to Sharp who will make arrangements to send you the product directly and to collect it at the end of the review. This product review is UK only.

Everyone who is selected for the review, and then offers feedback will receive a £50 high street gift voucher as a token of thanks.
If you would like to review the product as per the above, please add your details here.

Thanks and good luck.

If selected you will be emailed confirmation.

MNHQ

Dracschick Tue 09-Nov-10 14:05:35

I have a 17 year old ds who suffers with asthma.

Id willingly try it as this time of year is worst for his asthma.

Dracschick Tue 09-Nov-10 14:06:22

^^wrong place blush

DaftApeth Tue 09-Nov-10 14:14:12

Ann, what size is the air purifier? Just wondering how much space it would take up.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Nov-10 14:19:10

Check the link above. If you are selected they will send you the one which would be best for your room (you need to add details of this). Eg one measures: (W x D x H) in mm 356x180x510

DaftApeth Tue 09-Nov-10 14:36:55

Thanks Ann, I posted that before reading the whole of the form that asked for room dimensions, doh blush

Have completed the form smile

NotShortImFunSized Tue 09-Nov-10 15:34:50

Done smile

Both dd1 and ds3 have asthma, it's horrible and can be very scary. Would love to know if these can make a difference.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 09-Nov-10 15:43:57

Could I ask a question generally about this product - sorry Ann but I'm really curious - we live in an ironstone house and have massive static issues. Would this work in my house?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Nov-10 15:51:00

whomoved...I will ask Sharp and come back to you.

ilovesprouts Tue 09-Nov-10 16:03:14

done but did not put size of room

ShirleyKnot Tue 09-Nov-10 16:35:49

I want one for me, not my lucky non- asthmatic kids!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Nov-10 16:38:48

whomoved...Sharp say "The product hasn’t been tested within an ironstone house, but has been tested and shown to reduce static energy"

ilovesprouts - are you able to supply the size of the room, if selected it affects which product they send.

whomovedmychocolate Tue 09-Nov-10 17:15:28

Well if they want it tested in an ironstone house....... wink

herbietea Tue 09-Nov-10 17:51:58

Message withdrawn

louii Tue 09-Nov-10 18:47:23

Oh god, I would love to get picked for this, DS has bad coughing Asthma which starts in October and lasts 6 months of the year, we have to sit up with him most nights as he choking and coughing, not fun!
We are literally at our wits end and would try anything as we have tried everything.

louii Tue 09-Nov-10 18:48:46

Sorry for moan.

thefirstMrsDeVere Tue 09-Nov-10 19:02:10

Done it although DS doesnt have asthma. He has atopic eczema and house dust is one of his biggest problems. I would LOVE to try something that might help cut down on his itching and my house work smile

POFAKKEDDthechair Tue 09-Nov-10 19:13:34

Hmm. I would like to say something about Sharp plasmaclusters. I bought one, not cheaply, it was between £300 and £400, six years ago when I became pregnant, because I am asthmatic. It had been advertised in the Sunday Times. I am not sure if it helped or not, it may have helped a little, but my main concern was a couple of years ago I tried to buy a new filter from Sharp. I gave the model number to the customer line who had no record of it. She put me through to the technical line, and they too had no record of the model number. So I was unable to buy a new filter for a very expensive machine that is now redundant. Not very happy.

trixymalixy Tue 09-Nov-10 20:01:50

Done.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 10-Nov-10 11:44:24

POFAKKEDDthechair: The people at Sharp have read your post and asked us to post this in response to you:

"Sharp appreciate your frustration. The last time they advertised the product was in 2003. Unfortunately once they discontinue models, they do keep spare filters etc for as long as possible, but there is no set rule and it's normally around two years."

POFAKKEDDthechair Wed 10-Nov-10 13:37:54

thankyou Helen. I would respond that had I know the product I purchased for over £300 would only have been usable for TWO YEARS I would not have bought it. Shocking.

PuzzleRocks Wed 10-Nov-10 14:11:16

Done. Although I wish I didn't have to IYGWIM.

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 10-Nov-10 18:56:38

Done, always looking for alternatives to help with the boys asthma rather than all the steroids i have to give them just to get htrough the day sad.

StarExpat Wed 10-Nov-10 19:55:38

Done. I know my 2 year old has asthma. Not formally diagnosed, but he has an inhaler and this time of year is so hard for him especially at night. I'm willing to try anything to make breathing at night easier!

POFAKKEDDthechair Wed 10-Nov-10 20:27:09

Can I ask Sharp when the plasmacluster I bought was discontinued, and why they did so? And also whether they think it is unfair to sell a product at such a high price to have it rendered unusable a few years later?

I now use a different air purifier, 3M filtrete, which has helped my asthma immensely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: