Talk

Advanced search

Live webchat and baking session with Dan Lepard, Fri 8 Jan, 12-2pm

(270 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Jan-10 13:22:37

We've got a Mumsnet first this Friday - award-winning baker and food writer Dan Lepard is our guest for a bake day and live webchat. Should be just the thing to counter wintry gloom and warm up your kitchen.

Dan's involved with the World Marmalade Festival, which promotes all thing marmalade-y and supports the charity Hospice at Home. So he has chosen Ponymum's muffin recipe and given it a citrus-y twist. Full details, ingredients, plus all Dan's variations on the recipe are here.

Please choose the version that tickles your tastebuds and join us to bake along with Dan on Friday. He'll be online from noon.

While your (and our) culinary creations are cooking, Dan will answer questions and swap tips about baking, bread making, marmalade making and the like.

Once your muffins/pudding/traybake are out of the oven, please share a picture of the finished result on your profile. We'll put up pix of our efforts here.

And, of course, if you can't make it on Friday but have a question you'd like to ask Dan, please post here.

4andnotout Tue 05-Jan-10 14:33:05

I read it as a web chat with Def Leppard blush Which I thought was fairly random grin

CMOTdibbler Tue 05-Jan-10 14:39:24

Dan, if you can come up with a recipe for gluten free pastry that tastes nice, rolls out, and doesn't bake to something resembling kevlar (especially if double baked for quiche), I'll love you forever grin

MmeLindt Tue 05-Jan-10 15:08:14

I might just join in as I have never been able to make muffins.

Not promising a pic of the result though.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Jan-10 15:28:11

Hope you can. Pix not mandatory, but the more the messier merrier.

MmeLindt Tue 05-Jan-10 15:35:27

My last attempt was fit for the dog bin, not for photographing and putting on MN for all the world to laugh.

And don't mention soufflés to me after the disaster on Xmas Eve.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Jan-10 15:38:00

Am impressed you even attempted something as ambitious on Xmas Eve. Respect!

MmeLindt Tue 05-Jan-10 15:42:35

It was awful. DC were in the bath, I was running between kitchen and cellar to get the presents waiting for Christkind (we are half-German so Christkind comes on Xmas Eve) putting the new PJs on the DC's beds, while trying to make soufflés for the first time.

I will save my soufflé questions for Dan, since Delia let me down so badly.

badietbuddy Tue 05-Jan-10 15:54:08

Am I the only one who misread this as Def Leppard? blush

Bessie123 Tue 05-Jan-10 16:05:13

I love his vegan chocolate cake

4andnotout Tue 05-Jan-10 16:09:13

I did too badietbuddy

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Jan-10 16:21:50

I am so tempted, even though I should will be working. I could add the results to the 30+ muffins of various savoury and sweet varieties currently residing in the freezer ready to be breakfast for 16 on Sunday (that's less than 2 muffins each, come to think of it - I had better get baking grin)

Admission of ignorance, though - I have never heard of him - should I have done?

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Jan-10 16:23:45

purist objection, though - that recipe involves beating. I always thought that on principle (and to avoid being too chewy) muffins only ever involved roughly stirring wet ingredients into dry (and no washing up of food processor/mixer)hmm?

pointydig Tue 05-Jan-10 16:50:25

lol @ def leppard

I have never heard of dan lepard and I do like baking. I will check out.

policywonk Tue 05-Jan-10 17:04:31

Dan Leppard writes a baking column for the Guardian's Saturday magazine (so if you haven't heard of him you are hereby EXPOSED as a non-Guardian reader)

policywonk Tue 05-Jan-10 17:05:37

AArgh, you've got me doing it now.

Leppard Lepard

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Jan-10 17:05:46

Oops - considering I won a Grauniad competition yesterday, that is distinctly blush.

policywonk Tue 05-Jan-10 17:08:39

Ooh, what did you win?

pointydig Tue 05-Jan-10 17:10:13

Proudly exposed grin

stealthsquiggle Tue 05-Jan-10 17:12:25

Tickets to see Peter Pan at the O2 - DM and DS are going grin

pointydig Tue 05-Jan-10 17:13:25

Have checked out. Recipes look nice.

Is he better than supremo Sue Lawrence though? I love her baking recipes.

GrungeBlobPrimpants Tue 05-Jan-10 17:13:58

Dang! Another one who logged onto thread in hope of a chat with Def Leppard.

Marmalade making doesn't cut it I'm afraid

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 05-Jan-10 17:42:37

Message withdrawn

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 05-Jan-10 17:50:10

ahem

This is not the first realtime cookout on MN I'll have you know

look, there were swans and talk of injections and golden balls and ever'thing

sfxmum Tue 05-Jan-10 18:09:04

great shed loads of cookies at this house are his recipe
goes away to think of bread questions

sfxmum Tue 05-Jan-10 18:09:34

that makes no sense hmm sugar rush

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 05-Jan-10 18:21:54

<snort> at sugar rush

slng Tue 05-Jan-10 19:44:33

Cakes, breads and cookies in this house are his recipes. Am a great fan.

midnightexpress Tue 05-Jan-10 21:34:45

Dan, I love your book The Handmade Loaf. But real yeast is difficult to find, natural leaven is a faff to keep going and I generally don't have the time needed to make lots of the lovely breads in the book.

<good start>

So, whilst I appreciate that proper bread-making is a wonderful thing, what are your best tips/recipes for the harried bread baker?

onebatmother Wed 06-Jan-10 01:16:25

Daa-aaan <read in voice of whiny child>

Why does some packet (not fresh) yeast bubble and some not?

I make pizza not bread - is it necessary, thees bubbleeng?

Birdly Wed 06-Jan-10 07:34:19

Crikey - I would LOVE a chat with Def Leppard!!!! grin

In the absence of the gods of rock, I guess the muffin man will do! grin

NobodyKnowsIAmACat Wed 06-Jan-10 11:52:02

So how does this work then? Do we all just get on and bake or does Dan somehow talk us through it? How do I avoid getting flour on the laptop?

In terms of marmalade, now that the Sevilles have appeared, I'm planning to use David Lebovitz's recipe, with a little dash of Scotch (well, bourbon actually), and possibly sneaking in some vanilla beans at the end.

My question for Dan would be: I've been trying my hand at sourdough (though I need to resurrect my poor starter), but I've been trying to limit the amount of salt I use to make a lower salt loaf more suitable for my baby to eat. How can I improve the flavour of a basic white loaf without adding more salt? I've only been using approx 5g in what must be a 1kg loaf, which I believe is quite a small amount.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-10 12:40:56

Yes, we hope that anyone who wants to will bake at same time as Dan, and he'll answer questions as we go along.

Once they're in the oven, he'll answer more questions.

Clear as the driven sludge snow? Thankfully, Dan has done this type of live baking/webchatting thing before. grin

NobodyKnowsIAmACat Wed 06-Jan-10 12:54:31

Ah, but is he any good at simultaneously baking, webchatting and breastfeeding? That's what I'll be doing, and I expect the same standards from my baker grin

SoupDragon Wed 06-Jan-10 12:57:07

A baking session with Def Leppard [snort]

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-10 12:58:02

Reckon Dan will have to bow to your superior multi-tasking skills

MmeLindt Wed 06-Jan-10 13:02:52

I have a yeast question too. I have been using a bread recipe that requires quick yeast, which is handy and does not scare me as fresh yeast tends to do. Would my bread be so much better with fresh yeast?

Ponymum Wed 06-Jan-10 13:52:13

I have just discovered that Dan Lepard chose my recipe for a bake along.shock I am swooning with pride and excitedness!

Also am a little embarassed as I realised that when I posted the recipe I listed the quanities as cups not weight which has confused a few people. I do apologise - shows my habit of using my useful little measuring cups instead of the scales. Would you believe that I actually intended to bake another batch this week and post the revised measurements on the recipe? Now wondering whether I can delay my baking until Friday so i can join in, though that may involve a sneaky adjustment to DD's sleep time which I'm not sure I can manage. I'll do my best.

Anyhoo, my question for you Dan (on behalf of DH who is the hardcore DL fan and breadmaker in this house) is: Ever since we moved house and inherited a not brilliant built in oven, DH is not having success with making bread. He is convinced it is because this oven simply won't get hot enough. Are there any tricks or tips to get successful bread out of a domestic oven that refuses to get really hot? He likes to use your pain blanc recipe from Baking with Passion.

JulesJules Wed 06-Jan-10 16:19:14

I read it as Def Leppard too, and I am a Saturday Guardian reader.

Will Def Dan say "Pour Some Sugar On Me" ?

Arf
grin

personanongrata Wed 06-Jan-10 17:30:16

Dan, don't have your book, I'm afraid, and want to make sourdough bread (because tediously got to avoid yeast) as shop-bought sourdough while tasty is also pricey.

Can you point me to some failsafe recipes, please? And someone earlier said keeping sourdough leaven going is a faff. Is it? Are there any shortcuts?

Thank you.

slng Wed 06-Jan-10 18:02:58

Dan,

I tried the sour rye bread and the sweet rye bread in The Handmade Loaf, but they both turned out to be like bricks (though my little boy loved it and continues to demand the "really hard" bread hmm). I used stoneground rye flour rather than fine rye flour. Would that be why? Where can you get fine rye flour? Shipton Mill which you recommend has "light rye flour". Is that it?

And just how do you make naan bread like you get in restaurants? Is it all in the oven? If so I'll give up now ...

NomDePlume Wed 06-Jan-10 19:23:27

I keep thinking this is Def Leppard too.

[unoriginal emoticon]

Never 'eard of 'im but I'm sure his cakes are very nice

DavidTennantAteMyHeart Wed 06-Jan-10 21:33:10

Can I ask about dumplings, please? I made this week's baked cheesy dumplings. Bear with me, as it was the first time I've made dumpling for about twenty years.

Some were lovely and light, and the taste was fantastic. Some were a bit stodgy. Why's this? Sloppy rubbing in? Could it be too much liquid in the casserole drowning some but not others? I didn't have any onion left (snow!) so I made them without the onion and a splash extra milk to help them bind together (less than 20ml).

I have to say it's a long time since I've seen my DH quite so happy after a weekday lunch so I will be making them again but I'd like them to be better!

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Thu 07-Jan-10 00:46:46

Hi Dan,

Talk to me about Kneeding. Is it EVER worth the muscle pain? We just eat homemade bread REALLY dense because we can't stand the army drill. Is there a short cut. I tried a handheld kneeder but the bowl just wizzes around coz I'm not strong enough to hold it still hmm

And, - I have been trying for anout 3 months to find a muffin tin. Where do they live?

StarlightWonderStarlightBright Thu 07-Jan-10 00:50:39

Is there a recipe for no-kneeding, no rising, microwave bread btw?

Birdly Thu 07-Jan-10 07:37:44

JulesJules - one lump or two?! grin grin

Guimauve Thu 07-Jan-10 11:35:41

Starlight - have you tried Richard Bertinet's kneading method, of slapping down and folding the dough rather than old-school pummelling? I haven't tried it myself, thanks be to KitchenAid, but this blog post from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial describes it and has some video - might be worth a go?

phdlife Thu 07-Jan-10 11:52:28

someone ask him about his soy and linseed loaf as printed in the grauniad that one time. I've tried it THREE times and every time it's come out about 1" tall. But I make lots of Andrew Whitley bread ("pulling" kneading) with the same yeast and that just turns out dandy.

starlight iirc Mr Lepard says bread doesn't need kneading. Some kind MNer pasted a long quote for me last time I was whingeing asking about the S&L loaf, you could search if you wanted. It's past bedtime here otherwise I'd do it for you

phdlife Thu 07-Jan-10 11:55:35

oh anda <poke> for stealthsquiggle if she comes back. <<scarpers>>

SoupDragon Thu 07-Jan-10 12:07:48

"Is there a recipe for no-kneeding, no rising, microwave bread btw?" Kind of, it's called a bread maker

slng Thu 07-Jan-10 12:27:12

phdlife - could have been me who posted the long quote. I hope you studied it carefully. grin It's lunch time here otherwise I'd dig it out again.

Ponymum Thu 07-Jan-10 13:01:02

starlight grin Please put us out of our misery and just look here. Are you having trouble because you keep typing "muffing tin" into google?wink

DanLepard Thu 07-Jan-10 15:36:06

test (by MNHQ)

OverflowingFestiveMum Thu 07-Jan-10 17:34:48

ooo fab idea!

I will hopefully be joining in....
may be slightly late start due to nursery drop off (or not depending on snow LOL) but I'll catch up....

off to check ingredients and dream up marmaladey muffin ideas....grin

mark12 Thu 07-Jan-10 19:23:12

Hi have you considered using marmalade and chopped whole orange in a Tea loaf style,instead of using mixed fruits use chopped orange and the sweetness comes from marmalade and a little honey use your favorite recipe and then substitute as above

Jux Thu 07-Jan-10 19:35:22

I was going to join you tomorrow, but my gas pressure is so low at the moment that it took 3 hours to cook a small bread and butter pudding this afternoon. I can only cook on the hob sad

Guimauve Thu 07-Jan-10 21:11:02

Oh bum. Was going to do this but have accidentally used all my carrots. Do you suppose two courgettes and a parsnip will do?

susanzs Thu 07-Jan-10 21:38:06

Hello Dan, I have never participated in a webchat before. I would be very grateful for a soft GLUTEN FREE yeasty challah recipe (plaited loaf)and also where to get a plaited style loaf tin like the one that Kaiser la Forme used to make (but stopped producing before I could get one) to look like a plaited loaf when making gluten free dough but being too busy to take the time to plait the bread oneself.

Thanks

dundeemarmalade Thu 07-Jan-10 23:07:56

Okay, so this is a massively cheeky request but I actually have three questions. Can I just say that I am (I think) the only mumsnetter who actually has marmalade IN THEIR NAME grin grin.

i make so much and eat so much of it (dd's almost-first word was marmalala...) and - is it really that wrong to play the sympathy card - my dear step-mil has recently been diagnosed with the kind of condition that hospice at home know all about see here for details.

Firstly, please could you answer a question that has been causing controversy in my family for several generations - I thought that absolutely all pith needs to be removed, whereas my elders and betters say that chopping the fruit finely enough makes it okay. Who is right?

Secondly, I stupidly volunteered to edit our local nct newsletter. some bright spark did an issue about grief and bereavement last time so we'd like to bring a smile to our readers' faces this spring. if it isn't going to get you in trouble with guardian hq, would you, erm, gizza cheeryful recipe? pleeeeease?

also, as an afterthought, any chance of a sourdough bread solution? have had much success with nigella's fresh yeast recipe from how to eat, but would love to combine this with sourdough preparation.

with heartiest best wishes from all at marmalade towers,
dr dundeemarmalade

westmilf Fri 08-Jan-10 00:28:57

Hey if Delia disappoints try AWT he really gives her a run-despite her being my failsafe for too many years!!!!!!!!!

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 08-Jan-10 08:32:25

Message withdrawn

henmum Fri 08-Jan-10 09:38:47

For those who don't know, Dan is a great baking expert because he tries things out and explains how and why they work, in detail, rather than just issuing recipes. (eg the famous 'hardly any kneading' bread)

Dan, my question is about sourdough and pumpernickel - sort of 2 questions but linked as I believe rye/pumpernickel is made by the sourdough method

I would like to make the sort of German heavy sticky wholegrain rye bread known here as pumpernickel - not Americal style pumpernicket which is light rye bread.
Do you have a recipe? I have only found recipes for the American style one online.

I have tried to make a sourdough starter but gave up after 2 weeks and masses of flour wasted, partly because it was too much trouble, also I wasn't quite sure what I was doing. Also I couldn't have kept it going. Is there a shortcut/easy method?

IKEA do a pumpernickel style bread mix which is fantastic - just add water and bake, for great results. (it's expensive though). I read somewhere that they have managed to dry and incorporate the sourdough starter in the mix. Does this hold out any hope for the home baker?

BlauerEngel Fri 08-Jan-10 10:40:48

Hello Dan,

I live in Germany, where there is no self-raising flour. There are however a number of different kinds of plain flour with numbers on them (such as 540 and 404, IIRC), which are suitable for different kinds of baking, such as heavy bread or fine cakes. As an aside (not my main question), why is there this distinction when it doesn't seem necessary in the UK? Now for my main question. I've been told that I can 'recreate' self-raising flour by adding 25g of baking powder to 500g of plain flour. Most of my cookbooks are in English and some have recipes for cakes with self-raising flour PLUS baking powder. Why are both sometimes necessary? And am I doing OK by just adding two lots of baking powder instead? And where do bicarbonate of soda come into all this?

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 10:41:49

Hello

I am sure my DH would love me to be able to make sourdough, it's one of his fave things ever - but have never tried even basic breadmaking since our breadmaker some years hence (now on permanent loan to a mate as twas woefully underused) - Dan, please can you tell me how hard it is to get started?

((I'm also really just posting to mark my place. I have marmalade and hoping that I can get things vaguely ready when DS goes to sleep shortly so I can bake along. grin <excited>))

TeamEdward Fri 08-Jan-10 11:30:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leo35 Fri 08-Jan-10 11:38:43

DS2 just eradicated my first typed message with a well aimed hand! Orange and raisin muffins for our house made and due out of the oven imminently (nap time not convenient for bake in sad).

Geeky question: if I add orange syrup to top of muffins, thus orange drizzle muffins, will they survive freezing? If I do a batch and they really aren't going to get eaten while they are at their best I freeze the remains. If I were a stone lighter I would not be posting this question!

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 11:42:03

LOL at TeamEdward
Nothing like muffins with greatness thrust upon them!

Right, I have no cinnamon and cant go and get as DS sleepin'
Any thoughts to alternative? I have allspice??

TeamEdward Fri 08-Jan-10 11:46:53

fishie Fri 08-Jan-10 11:49:23

hello dan

i make my own bread, usually with a white flour starter which i keep in the fridge and use about once a week.

i know that you advise rye flour for starters, but i find it needs to be used more often or else it becomes rather sharp. how would half white half rye do?

and where on earth can i get fresh yeast? all the books say "ask at your local bakery" but since mine is a hovis factory i don't think they'd take kindly to me appearing at the door with a bowl. i asked at borough market and they just blinked at me.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 11:50:50

LOL at us TE!
??Go without? Think that's what I'm gonna do wrt to the cinnamon.
The marmalade will add a certain je ne sais quoi, won't it?
<decisive>

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 11:52:05

Dan's here and we're live from Carrie's kitchen (the Towers only has a kettle). Just getting the oven warmed up and assembling ingredients.

We're going to try to twitpic some pix as we go along and will put them on this page and on our Facebook page later too.

Dan has got some answers to questions you've asked, so he'll post them in between baking.

He'll be online shortly to say hello.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 11:55:18

Still assembling ingredients and a woman's prerogative is to change her mind wink so have gone with allspice.

(and yes, I know am jumping gun here we don't start until 12, but am snowed in at MN's country outpost today and making most of sleeping child)

MmeLindt Fri 08-Jan-10 11:57:46

<logs in>

Not sure if this is going to work, starting now. DC 'helping'

TeamEdward Fri 08-Jan-10 11:58:31

Guimauve Fri 08-Jan-10 12:01:39

Joining in in spirit, as I now have neither carrots nor eggs sad

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 12:03:15

Dan's making carrie's (amazingly tidy envy) kitchen his own

Ponymum Fri 08-Jan-10 12:03:18

Clearly I am not going to get DD into bed in time for this to start.hmm Will do my best to catch up shortly.

Also thinking that I should have name changed as I actually haven't made these for ages and it all might go horribly wrong. Now very scared of TeamEdward!

OpheliaPain Fri 08-Jan-10 12:03:35

gerry

your teeth are very shiney

you are the simon cowell of mn teeth

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 12:04:24

Guimave, can't you mug a snowmn?!

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 12:04:27

oh good grief <cheesy grin emoticon>

DanLepard Fri 08-Jan-10 12:04:32

Hi everyone on mumsnet,

Have been watching the goings on here for a while, been very moved by so many of the posts – particularly the threads about bullying at school and the campaign against advertisers twisting the minds of young viewers with guilt about their perfectly fine bodies – so I’m glad to be a part of it. Even if it’s just to encourage anyone who wants to bake, and to drum up some support for our Marmalade Festival in Cumbria early next month.

If you make marmalade, tell me about it. Otherwise, let me know how you're doing with your baking. I’m here making a batch of muffins, but I’ve just discovered a bundt tin in Carrie’s cupboard so I’m going to wing it and see how the mixture bakes as a big cake. So be creative.

OpheliaPain Fri 08-Jan-10 12:04:55

<puts on sunglasses>
she flosses i think

OpheliaPain Fri 08-Jan-10 12:05:14

lol at " goings on"

OpheliaPain Fri 08-Jan-10 12:05:41

lol at bundt in carries cupboard

DanLepard Fri 08-Jan-10 12:06:06

Hi CMOTdibbler (Tue 05-Jan-10 14:39:24)

You asked about making a better gluten-free shortcrust pastry

Gluten-free pastry:

This is what I use for sweet (for savoury leave out the icing sugar, keep the almonds - that helps the flavour - and add a little pepper and additional salt) . It freezes unbaked well, just bring it to cool room temperature before rolling:

500g gluten-free plain flour
75g icing sugar
75g ground almonds
pinch salt
300g unsalted butter, softened
4 egg yolks
50ml ice cold water

Sift the flour, icing sugar and salt into a bowl. Break the butter into small pieces and rub this through the flour until it vanishes. Beat the yolks with the water, and stir this into the flour and mix to a very soft and smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes before using as it needs time to firm up.

Guimauve Fri 08-Jan-10 12:06:22

LOL at mugging snowman!

DanLepard Fri 08-Jan-10 12:08:59

Hi MmeLindt (Tue 05-Jan-10 15:35:27)

You asked about how to make a great soufflé. I will write a recipe for the Guardian based on my Christmas one (I had the same idea). Made excellent mini Grand Marnier Orange soufflés for Christmas pud, and I'm sure the depth of the bowl and baking it in a water bath help. Also added a pinch of cream of tartar to the egg whites and I think that helped it stay 'up' for longer out of the oven.

midnightexpress Fri 08-Jan-10 12:09:57

Bakealongadan or go and fetch my children from nursery?

<tosses coin>

Oh well. Will catch up with this later. Happy baking y'all.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 12:10:35

Dan says if you don't have carrots - courgettes or parsnips are absolutely fine and give it a good flavour (he's just added the salt to the flour).

He says Pollymum's recipe is really good because has lots of carrots (v healthy).

midnightexpress Fri 08-Jan-10 12:11:31

Misread souffle advice as 'baking it in bath water'

really must go.

snigger Fri 08-Jan-10 12:11:36

Can I just say baking and typing and reading simultaneously are not conducive to a calm unruffled soul?

Hello Dan - do you have any marmalade tips for someone whose every effort results in an oxford style burnt umber coloured gel of palate searing bitterness?

I've tried twice, and DH (who loves marmalade) has asked me not to try this year.

CMOTdibbler Fri 08-Jan-10 12:12:26

Thank you Dan - if it works, I will buy every book you write, and worship you from afar.

It would be fab if you added allergy alternatives to your recipes - for a man of your cookery intelligence it should be a nice challenge to do gf/df/ef alternatives, and would be very much appreciated.

Now for the tough one - can you do a nice GF bread ?

Guimauve Fri 08-Jan-10 12:13:15

But no eggs now, no eggs! <wail>
All the eggs are gone!
Perhaps there is some WW2 style egg-substitute I can use. Though the oven is cold, so I'm really rather behind sad

DanLepard Fri 08-Jan-10 12:13:36

Hi midnightexpress (Tue 05-Jan-10 21:34:45)

For anyone rushed off their feet and wanting to, sometimes, bake a great loaf without too much faff there is this easy one:
http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2593
About 3 - 4 hours tops. But for a very quick one:
http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2693

I'm posting links rather than recipes here as there are lots of reader questions and photos there that make the links much more helpful.

MmeLindt Fri 08-Jan-10 12:14:44

DC are grating carrots and orange peel

I thought I might go with my name and make orange and Swiss chocolate muffins.

<searches for left over choc>

hope DH has not eaten it all

Guimauve Fri 08-Jan-10 12:15:50

I shall 'bake' toast with marmalade instead, so as to keep within the correct register.

Except I don't really like marmalade on toast, so I'l be replacing that with jam.

CarrieDaBabi Fri 08-Jan-10 12:15:51

hello dansmile
nice to have you here

what are your views on swan meringues?

retro cool or totally naff?
grin

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-10 12:16:15

Dan's grating the carrots (doesn't peel them) into a separate bowl and next going to add the apple (grates whole thing and stops when he gets to the core - he says it's v quick and easier on the fingers, grating-wise).

Next he's going to beat 2 large eggs into the carrot/apple mixture and adding the oil.

MmeLindt Fri 08-Jan-10 12:16:25

found some choc

how much should I add?

can I trust the DC to grate/chop up chocolate?

DanLepard Fri 08-Jan-10 12:16:30

Hi onebatmother (Wed 06-Jan-10 01:16:25)

Does packet yeast sometimes work and other times…well…? It could fail sometimes, so that's why making a batter (what cooks used to call a 'sponge') with a little flour and warm water from the recipe and the yeast, and leaving this for an hour, will help. Try mixing this sponge with very warm water, hot bathwater temperature, and see if that helps. Also, I have less trouble with the instant yeast type in the sachet. I'd take it back to the shop and make a fuss.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »