Talk

Advanced search

Webchat with Dan Jarvis MP, Tuesday 26 April, 12.30pm

(54 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BojanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Apr-16 16:56:35

Hello,

We’re pleased to announce a webchat with Labour MP Dan Jarvis on Tuesday 26 April at 12.30pm. Dan is currently campaigning on excess winter deaths among older people.

The ONS estimates that 43,900 excess winter deaths occurred in England and Wales in 2014/15. The majority of excess winter deaths for both sexes occurred amongst those aged 75 and over, with women aged 85 and over having the greatest number of such deaths. (‘Excess winter deaths’ are calculated by comparing the number of deaths between December and March to the average number of deaths in the preceding August - November and the following April - July.) Dan’s aim is to find out why this is happening, and to persuade local authorities and other agencies involved in the care of older people to work together to address any gaps in services.

Before becoming an MP Dan served in the Parachute Regiment and was deployed to Kosovo, Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Iraq and Afghanistan. He was in the shadow cabinet during the last Parliament, most recently as shadow minister for justice, and is now on the back benches.

Please do join us on the day to talk about excess winter deaths and the best way to care for older people in our communities - or leave a question here in advance if you can’t make it. And, as ever, do remember our webchat guidelines.

Thanks
MNHQ

LittlehamHums Tue 26-Apr-16 13:39:35

My frail elderly in laws lived a long way away from all their relatives. I often wondered whether it would be possible to devise some sort of scheme where families would do a sort of 'exchange' (perhaps through an approved scheme ie. I help your elderly relative if you help mine).

meditrina Tue 26-Apr-16 13:41:21

Yay! My question made it.

Thanks, Dan

DanJarvisMP Tue 26-Apr-16 13:42:04

NameyMcNameface

Now you've run 26.2 miles I think you've earned a biscuit, what's you're go to?

Hi,

drumroll These are the really big choices you have to make in politics!

Before I became an MP, I was in the army for 15 years and over that time I ate many army ration packs. Contained within the ration pack was a small packet of garibaldi biscuits which came in their own special green silver foil wrapper (they were described as "Biscuits Fruit"). Those biscuits kept me going on more than one occasion, so they would have to be my favourite.

DanJarvisMP Tue 26-Apr-16 13:43:22

Many thanks to everyone for their excellent questions. It's been both enjoyable but also very useful and I will continue to raise this important issue in Parliament.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »