Talk

Advanced search

Webchat with Mhairi Black MP, Tuesday 12 January 11am-12pm

(155 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SonyaAtTheSamovar Fri 08-Jan-16 20:40:19

An important issue to get a debate on. It is so patently unfair to move the retirement age at such short notice.

On a personal note : good on you Mhari, it is great to see you, a young passionate woman in parliament.

I am happy to be in the UK and think Westminster is a rather good parliament. Are you open minded enough to rethink your belief in Scottish independence? Gwaan!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 08-Jan-16 19:44:26

Do you find that being female, young, and an SNP member means you get less respect from other MPs? If so, which of these is most detrimental to people taking you seriously?

Or are the Houses of Parliament actually a bastion of equality and respect?

(I think you are awesome BTW smile)

Figwin Fri 08-Jan-16 19:23:47

Is it 11am -12pm or 11pm to midnight (am)? Just don't want to miss it

SoWhite Fri 08-Jan-16 18:14:16

Mairi, I have a politics and international relations undergraduate degree and continue to work in a related field. Throughout my career, I have heard people working in other disciplines say disparaging things about studying the social sciences. How well do you think your degree prepared you for Westminster life?

BojanaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 08-Jan-16 17:36:15

Hello

We’re pleased to announce that the SNP’s Mhairi Black MP will be joining us at MNHQ on Tuesday 12th January between 11am and 12 midday. She’d particularly like to talk about the ‘Women Against State Pension Inequality’ campaign - see below for more details on that.

Mhairi Black is SNP MP for Paisley and Renfrewshire South and is the current ‘Baby of the House’ - the youngest member of the House of Commons. After joining the SNP in 2011 Mhairi was elected at the age of 20 in the 2015 General Election, whilst completing her undergraduate degree in Politics and Public Policy at the University of Glasgow. Her maiden speech made headlines, partly for the rule-breaking applause which followed it.

In support of the Women Against State Pension Inequality campaign, Mhairi secured a debate in the House of Commons on state pension age increases that some say discriminate against women born on or after 6th April 1951, calling the situation “grossly unfair”. The campaign is calling for the reversal of the decision to delay the retirement age for women born in 1953-1954 - you can read more about this here.

Please do join us on the day or leave a question here in advance - and as ever, please remember our Webchat Guidelines: one question per poster, and please do be polite.

Thanks
MNHQ

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »