Talk

Advanced search

Scottish Referendum debate: Alistair Darling and Alex Salmond, Wednesday September 10th, 1.45-2.45pm

(854 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Sep-14 08:35:59

Hi all,

We're delighted to announce that Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling will both be joining us on Mumsnet this Wednesday at 1.45pm, to take part in a live debate in the lead-up to the Scottish Referendum on September 18th.

The decision with which Scottish voters are faced this month constitutes a significant moment in the history - and future - of Scotland and the UK. And with polls currently predicting a result that's too close to call, this final showdown between the two leaders could potentially prove decisive.

The debate will be conducted along typical Mumsnet webchat lines, but with each guest free to question and respond to the answers of the other. We know the referendum has been a topic of serious discussion on the site (we're currently on IndyRef thread number seven - and counting ...) so in order to ensure that the leaders answer your questions, we're restricting the ability to post to Mumsnetters who'd been members of the site for more than 24 hours before the launch of this thread. Otherwise, the usual guidelines apply.

Please join us on Wednesday at 1.45pm - and if you can't make it then, as ever, do post up any comments or questions in advance.

cedricsneer Wed 10-Sep-14 18:42:03

New poll out just now: news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/news/291584-new-poll-puts-no-ahead-by-53-to-47-in-independence-referendum/

Romeyroo Wed 10-Sep-14 19:37:42

Rose, I certainly saw a photo of Salmond with some mums and babies, so I think biscuits was the truth

Roseformeplease Wed 10-Sep-14 21:04:24

Found out on another thread, that there is a secret place where you can get both gin and cake, and take babies, and hang out with politicians. Am planning a move there, once I sort my mortgage out.

rino Wed 10-Sep-14 21:22:43

Good point I so agree, especially when they have cut nursery places, deaf education spending and college places and apprenticeships. Hardly a fair and equal society, but they don't grab headlines

rino Wed 10-Sep-14 21:34:32

I think this has probably been the best information I've come across. The questions from both sides have been searching if only we had had these at the beginning. I don't think Alex Salmond answered all the questions, he took parts of them and then seemed to follow his own agenda. There is still so much uncertainty as to what will happen in the future , because no one actually knows. Alex Salmond can ask for the pound and may think it is common sense, but if he is told no by Westminster and the rest of the UK public, which they will do then the answer is NO! Just as a toddler will argue until they are blue in the face, no is still no. Without the pound our mortgage rates will increase, cost of living may well rise and we will end up with the Euro. No Thanks.

rino Wed 10-Sep-14 21:40:22

I saw Alex Salmond's reference to business for Scotland. People should know it is a completed sham a friend went to one of their meetings the other day , there were no business owners there and instead she just got 40 minutes of Tommy Sheridan on anti capitalism. She was shocked that she was the only business owner present .

dementedma Wed 10-Sep-14 21:46:45

I am English living and working in Scotland. Have been here the majority of my life. Pay my taxes, contribute to the economy and my community. Just saw a Facebook rant about the "fucking English" who get to vote on "our" future along with the suggestion to "fuck off back to where I came from".
I am genuinely scared to be here at the moment.Scotland 2014.

Greengrow Wed 10-Sep-14 22:07:37

AS is doing very well and the No campaign is on the run and patronising the Scots. What fun. It could go either way.

I have spent a good bit of time in Panama (my island was there). They use the US dollar so are obviously subject to the vagaries policies in the US over which they have no control. Scotland could do the same with the dollar or sterling or whatever it chooses. It could even choose a new currency - let us call it "The Scot" if it prefers that to the Euro. It could accept the pound controlled by the UK without a currency union for a while until it got its own currency going.

Iggi999 Wed 10-Sep-14 22:10:05

WetAugust Wed 10-Sep-14 22:17:31

AS will get to use the pound regardless of what Mark Carney or anyone elae says because AS will hold the one big trump card - the UKs nuclear submarine base. without that the rUK has no nuclear deterrent so In order to retain the defence capability it will have to let AS share the pound.

WetAugust Wed 10-Sep-14 22:19:12

Lloyds and SIL are just about guaranteeing they will lose Scottish customers with their announcements that they would be relocating to England if there were to be a Yes vote.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Wed 10-Sep-14 22:25:21

The thing I find utterly ridiculous is the fact that such a monumental change may go ahead with a very, very, marginal % of votes!

How on earth can that be right? How can it be allowed to happen by a margin of 1%???????? It is turning millions and millions of lives upside down (many of whom don't even get a vote!!).

prettybird Wed 10-Sep-14 22:41:10

So if it's a 57/43 vote on an 80% turn out, would you be happy? Or 60/40?

Is there a particular level you would be happy to accept?

machair Wed 10-Sep-14 22:45:21

No proposals have been put forward in the White Paper for a system of checks and balances in the creation of legislation, the SNP tried to do away with the corroboration rule, police force being centralised and armed, state trying to say how children are raised. It's starting to sound like a George Orwell novel. Do you really think this is the way for Scotland to be?

machair Wed 10-Sep-14 22:47:33

Good point Prettybird. If a company was going to make major changes,you would usually need at least 75% agreement.

prettybird Wed 10-Sep-14 22:55:59

Actually, I think there will be a big majority that will surprise the pollsters.

prettybird Wed 10-Sep-14 22:58:45

It was up to Cameron to include a threshold requirement in the Edinburgh Agreement hmm. It was his hubris in assuming there would be a No vote that has led them to the panic stations that the Better Together campaign finds itself in today.

OOAOML Wed 10-Sep-14 22:59:05

Lloyds and SIL are just about guaranteeing they will lose Scottish customers with their announcements that they would be relocating to England if there were to be a Yes vote.

I don't know what the figures are for Lloyds, but I remember coverage from a previous SL statement saying only 10% of their customers are in Scotland, so I suppose they've weighed that up.

Lesuffolkandnorfolk Wed 10-Sep-14 23:00:39

Do any of you really think that these politicians are going to 'answer' the questions on Mumsnet or on any other forum? This whole set up is perfect facilitation for evasiveness and script preparation.

A waste of time.

Luckytwo Wed 10-Sep-14 23:02:25

I agree. Far too many people will be affected who do not want the result whichever way it goes
Standard Life is very clear -they will do whatever it takes to protect their assets. That to me means moving out straight away after a yes vote as they have to protect their gbp investments.
Alex -can say what he likes, we will not straight away have a CU with England, potentially though that may materialise through negotiation after, but it is not a certainty.
If I lived in Scotland I would not know which way to vote. I am scottish, but live in England.
My own personal belief is that Alex never really wanted independence but devomax and Cameron wouldn't allow it, so my gut feeling is that both will have to think seriously about their futures after the vote -unless it is no in which case Cameron had a lucky escape.

niceguy2 Wed 10-Sep-14 23:04:59

Not really. At OOAOML has already said, only 10% of the customer base is in Scotland. On top of that not all customers will close their accounts. I reckon worst case scenario that only a minority would.

Why? Because don't forget that other banks like RBS and Clydesdale are also planning to move too. It's not like they want to. But without a lender of last resort their borrowing costs would go up and they'd have to hold a shit load more capital.

So basically who are you going to bank with if all the major banks have all relocated to England.

golassiego Wed 10-Sep-14 23:09:10

Can I please implore anyone who's undecided (and I doubt a rammy like this "debate" has helped in the slightest) to check out the Wee Blue Book? Free and available in print, e-book or audio formats, short enough to skim through quickly but with a good level of detail beyond that which any politician will give you. And with references.

www.theweebluebook.com/index.php

golassiego Wed 10-Sep-14 23:10:11

If anyone particularly wants a hard copy pm me and I'll send one (unless I get hundreds of requests!) smile

OOAOML Wed 10-Sep-14 23:12:15

If you read the wee blue book, read stuff like this as well

chokkablog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-wee-blue-book-of-lies.html?m=1

LatteLoverLovesLattes Wed 10-Sep-14 23:15:51

prettybird - I'm not sure why you are getting narky with me?! Also, I never said which side I was on or anything about who should have sorted out the %ages.

I don't think it matters which side you are on - IF something only gets a 1% margin on something SO big, then nothing should be done. Nothing. It is far too big a deal to change on such a small %age.

More discussion, more debate and an entirely different 'set up' need to be sorted for this to go fwd imho.

How can people vote, with confidence, either way when there is still so much up in the air?

People are voting on a concept, not a reality.

StatisticallyChallenged Wed 10-Sep-14 23:16:13

Also this re wee blue book

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e29wjlh2dgyrmf/WBB%20Corrections.pdf?dl=0

ArcheryAnnie Wed 10-Sep-14 23:28:25

Saw Alex Salmond's last answer, in which he goes on about nuclear weapons, again. But he wants an independent Scotland to join NATO, so will be under the NATO nuclear umbrella.

Either he's for nuclear deterrent or he's against it. Or he's just a hypocrite.

golassiego Wed 10-Sep-14 23:30:49

I'll be the first to admit that Wings can be pretty unpleasant and vitriolic. And he's not a charismatic character. Nonetheless, there are some important facts in the WBB which are indisputable and are ignored or covered up by mainstream sources. Mners can read for themselves and follow up references - everyone posting information and links here has an agenda.

WildThong Wed 10-Sep-14 23:31:54

I thought The Wee Blue Book was produced by the extreme independent wings over Scotland? Am I mixing it up with something else, apologies if so.
If not I wouldn't be imploring anyone to read something so biased hmm

WildThong Wed 10-Sep-14 23:32:25

X post

prettybird Wed 10-Sep-14 23:37:50

Sorry Latte - wasn't getting narky at you. More a generalized narkiness at people complaining about a structure that was agreed 2 years ago. No one complained back then when they assumed No would win - it's only more recently, when it's looked like it is going to be close that people feel threatened. hmm

Even though I was in effect would've been a No voter back in 1979 when I was on the register but not allowed to vote I can remember the resentment that the "win" generated.

So I can understand why no threshold was included this time - but I was wondering what threshold should Yes win would satisfy the No voters?

OldLadyKnowsSomething Thu 11-Sep-14 00:59:53

Erm, niceguy2, the Clydesdale is actually owned by an Austalian company, and has heen for many years. Anyone got a mortagage with the Spanish bank Santander?.

Fully support reading the wee blue book; you don't have to agree with it but you can check the references for yourself. Shouldn't we all?

LatteLoverLovesLattes Thu 11-Sep-14 01:07:42

Pretty - I will admit I haven't paid as much attention to this as I could or should have.

However, even if I had been up in arms about it 2 years ago - as a 'not-able-to-vote-er' I don't see what I could have done about it.

Also, if I had been asked two years ago I would have assumed the vote would be an overwhelming 'Yes' vote or why bother with it.

I have no problem, if the vast majority of Scottish people want this, finding a way to make it work for everyone.

I just don't think the way things are right now, that a yes vote can end up in anything other than a nightmare for all of us.

I don't know what percentage - in corporate things it's often 75%. I was heading for 80%. I think my minimum would be 70%

I just think that the way things are, no-one knows really what they would actually 'get', only what the politicians are promising and we all know what their promises are worth. How can anyone, yes or no, vote like this sad

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Thu 11-Sep-14 06:37:30

OldLady At the moment mortgages from Santander in this country (whole of the UK) are regulated by the FCA. More importantly their mortgages are in Sterling - the same currency as nearly everyone is paid in.
What is going to happen to people in Scotland with a mortgage in Sterling when they suddenly start being paid in a new Scottish currency? The exposure to exchange rate fluctuations could make paying an ordinary mortgage impossible for many ordinary people in Scotland.

golassiego Thu 11-Sep-14 07:50:27

Latte countries have been seeking and achieving independence from the British Empire for hundreds of years. It's not something new and unusual. And because it's something that happens in the future, it is impossible to know exactly what we'll be getting. That's been the case for us because Westminster has refused to prenegotiate, knowing that the uncertainty would work to their advantage in keeping Scotland and its resources within the UK. You only need to look at the campaign material they've produced for confirmation that this was their agenda. And listening to people wringing their hands about the lack of facts, the uncertainty and the not knowing exactly what will happen, it's worked well for them. It's worked on you anyway.

Of all the countries who've gained independence you will struggle to find examples of failures amongst them. And Scotland had many advantages - a budding renewables sector with the potential to power much of western Europe, strong export markets, some of the world's oldest and most respected educational institutions with a massive life sciences industry, a skilled, English-speaking population and a cherry in the form of oil.

We don't have answers in the event of either outcome because we don't have a crystal ball and the people who could help us agree on things have refused to do so until we've voted for it. That's the nature of the future. But if you vote no you'll receive some unspecified powers, expected to be the means to raise tax (ie inevitable tax increases to make up for the funding shortfall when they take Barnett away, if you ask me). If you vote yes you have as much power as a population ever needs to dictate what we do with our resources, rather than having to accept pocket money from a domineering, corrupt and out of touch UK government. Both are unknowns, you just have to decide which unknown holds more possibility for you, and for the country as a whole.

golassiego Thu 11-Sep-14 07:52:45

I'm also intrigued that the arguments are always about the Scottish economy when we're denied a currency union. Nobody seems to consider the effect of denying a currency union on the rest of the UK.

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 11-Sep-14 07:56:04

Moody's have said that entering in to a currency union would be a "credit rating negative" event for the UK. They'd be on a one-way bet to guaranteeing us - they would be big enough to bail us out, we wouldn't be big enough to reciprocate.

OOAOML Thu 11-Sep-14 08:16:38

Colonies achieving independence from an empire is entirely different from an integrated structure such as the UK. Colonies were distant, without Westminster representation, without an integrated economy, without a shared (fairly small) landmass.

Lots of economists have written about the impact of a currency union on the rest of the UK. Lots of them agree it is not in rUK's interest, or in fact Scotland's interest. Some do. Doutbless there is political motivation on both sides.

BMW6 Thu 11-Sep-14 08:21:32

Personally I'd give my vote to any political party that won't enter into a currency union with iScotland - even UKIP if it came down to it.

I wish Scotland every success in Independance - but am not prepared to underwrite them soi they can do what they like and rUK will pick up the pieces.

WinifredTheLostDenver Thu 11-Sep-14 08:41:39

Well done all posters quoted in the Times today!

<waves at Tom Knowles, journalist>

Greengrow Thu 11-Sep-14 09:06:33

I am not against an independence vote but it must be wholly so - they can form a new currency - the Scot or something like that. I do not want a mostly Conservative England having its currency affected by high tax left wing Scots. It is bad enough that student fees and prescription charges are different in the supposedly united Kingdom. Enough is enough. We can wish them well and let them get on with it.

BardarbungaBardarbing Thu 11-Sep-14 09:17:45

That I suppose is a right wing/ libertarian view of it Greengrow.

Rupert Murdoch seems excited at the prospect of an independent Scotland as well.

The SNP were described by a Scottish political pundit on TV last night as potential natural partners for Conservatives in an Independent Scotland.

Greengrow Thu 11-Sep-14 09:21:17

Indeed.

Also why are the no campaigners going on about money all the time? Money is not the only thing that drives people's decisions by any means and having more money is not something that makes people happy. Taking a long hike through the Highlands is much more likely to make someone happy in terms of beta endorphins and health than a slightly higher house price.

I think the no campaign in the last week or two have been doing very badly which does not bother me too much at all as Scotland will do fine on its own and we shall manage without her. It may mean we only ever have Tory Governments in the rump UK forever and that would be no bad thing too.

WildThong Thu 11-Sep-14 09:31:01

Murdoch just wants to 'giruy' to Cameron at the moment. That man has his own agenda and will only do what's best for Murdoch.

OOAOML Thu 11-Sep-14 10:18:51

We talk about money because it is so important. We talk about jobs. If I can't afford to get to the Highlands how do I go for my endorphin boosting hike? This isn't about the value of my property, this is about whether I keep my job and where that job moves to. Sorry if you think at is shallow.

OOAOML Thu 11-Sep-14 10:19:31

What does the Times say about us? I don't subscribe so won't be able to read it,

WildThong Thu 11-Sep-14 10:24:34

Times? No idea what you're talking about.

OOAOML Thu 11-Sep-14 10:28:13

Someone said MN was referenced and quoted inThe Times.

WildThong Thu 11-Sep-14 10:46:40

sorry OOAOML

That was supposed to be to winifred, not you at all

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Sep-14 10:52:20

Romeyroo

Well, my quick tally suggests that Alex Salmond answered 17 questions, including one twice; and Alistair Darling answered 16 - so in terms of questions answered, it was about equal.
Have not read all of the content yet, though.

Actual tally of questions answered, fwiw, (not including hellos and goodbyes etc) was Alex Salmond - 19 vs Alistair Darling - 17
You can see an archive here

LineRunner Thu 11-Sep-14 10:54:13

Is that because AS hung around longer?

OOAOML Thu 11-Sep-14 11:00:05

Is that responses, or questions? I thought both of them spent a bit long going over the same ground several times. But then that kind of sums up a lot of the referendum to be honest.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Sep-14 11:09:41

LineRunner

Is that because AS hung around longer?

He stayed roughly and extra 5 mins

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Sep-14 11:10:10

OOAOML

Is that responses, or questions? I thought both of them spent a bit long going over the same ground several times. But then that kind of sums up a lot of the referendum to be honest.

Responses.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Sep-14 11:10:27

PeaceLovingMum if you are here you were quoted in the FT!

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 12:17:35

I saw a quote in the Metro from daisyfraser. I think she said 'salmond ye are a snitty wee bastart'. Oh no that was me thinking out loud.

Romeyroo Thu 11-Sep-14 12:51:40

Yes, I was a bit premature with my counting up the responses; Alex Salmond got more in after I thought it was all over... but he still didn't answer my question sad.

I couldn't be a politician, I was quite stressed just reading it yesterday. But I think that is because of the general uncertainty the whole thing creates, although I guess life is uncertain anyway.

daisyfraser Thu 11-Sep-14 13:41:53

Round-up of MN debate in Guardian:
www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/10/scottish-referendum-mumsnet-hosts-final-showdown-before-vote

Bizarrely includes analysis/critique of MN's debate format - style over substance anyone?

Also on STV website:
news.stv.tv/scotland/291574-salmond-and-darling-criticised-in-live-mumsnet-referendum-debate/

daisyfraser Thu 11-Sep-14 13:46:24

nicename - funnily enough that's what my advocate friend said when I emailed him the AS response

Victrix Thu 11-Sep-14 14:03:27

grin

Quoted in the Guardian. Day made. Shame I forgot my serious question until the end.

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 14:10:38

Its a fairly common response.

Roseformeplease Thu 11-Sep-14 14:18:09

Me too, they quoted me. Yay me!

Katjasm Thu 11-Sep-14 14:20:48

I a German born parent of a young family living in Scotland and working in a bank. I will be voting yes. Despite or perhaps because or the UKs right wing press popularity for independence is growing in Scotland. Scottish people are perhaps the least zenaphobic in UK. Not once has a Scottish person accused me of being ss. Yet look at English media anytime you don't like reason bring up the war. Honestly some of the made up shite in the papers is unbelievable. Scottish people and those who have moved to Scotland want to have better social care. Why is it so hard to understand.

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 14:32:57

Please don't Katjasm. This will in effect make me a foreigner in my own homeland.

My dad was a very proud Scot but I will refuse a Scottish passport. It is a nonsense.

Igneococcus Thu 11-Sep-14 14:44:24

I'm a German born mother with a young family living in Scotland and I'm voting no, for many reasons, mostly economical ones, but every so slightly in the background for me is also the experience of having gone through the unification of my own country.
I have lived in 4 countries over the last 20 years (12 in Scotland though) and I found it easier to make friends outside work everywhere else although I think it is mostly due to working full time. Not that this matters at all for my decision.

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 11-Sep-14 14:47:22

Hello all

Before yesterday's webchat, we filmed Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling answering some of the questions that were put to them on the thread. Do have a look at the video below and let us know what you think - and for their answers to the critical biscuit question, click here...

quietbatperson Thu 11-Sep-14 14:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BardarbungaBardarbing Thu 11-Sep-14 14:53:54

quietbat I did chuckle at that bit!

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 15:06:05

My mum was english, as were her parents (who moved up when they retired). They didn't (nor I as half n half) suffered anti english sentiment.

I got crap for having red hair (believe it or not), having a gay sibling (not enlightened times, the 1980s), or being 'posh' because we had a big house (there were a zillion kids, so where did peope expect us to sleep?).

I have got plenty anti scottish 'jokes' since living in London since 1990.

daisyfraser Thu 11-Sep-14 15:07:17

Nicely-done MN. Thanks for shedding light on the debate

Any experts here in body-language care to chime in?

Greengrow Thu 11-Sep-14 15:21:49

Body language - AD who is good at finance but not being a public face of anything particularly, very nervous worried about putting his foot in it; AS confident as ever - doing very well. He is just a better politician than most of them. I hope he wins.

tabulahrasa Thu 11-Sep-14 15:49:49

I'm pretty sure it's not coincidence that they picked Scottish biscuits..

BardarbungaBardarbing Thu 11-Sep-14 15:55:45

And do you believe a fairer Scotland will be the outcome Greengrow?

BardarbungaBardarbing Thu 11-Sep-14 16:01:04

My son was saying today nicename that he is accepted as Scottish in school. He hears the "all English are.." stuff, primarily as he says from people who've never been to England. He has also had "Your Dad's an English cunt .." gibes but has remained matesconfused, such is the schoolyard.

He wouldn't know about stuff from me as it's been low key and I've always been brushed it off.

Some people are bigots, wherever you go.

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 16:19:15

I suspect its a combo of where you are and I guess its got worse with the referendum debate trundling along.

The smallest minded ones are the least travelled in my experience.

Bloody awful for your DS though. I'd be tearing a few new arseholes.

BardarbungaBardarbing Thu 11-Sep-14 16:26:00

No, don't worry, he's zen like.

Igneococcus Thu 11-Sep-14 16:44:37

"I hope he wins." but I thought this wasn't about Alex Salmond or the SNP?

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 16:46:05

I never even heard the c-word until I moved to London (sheltered life).

WetAugust Thu 11-Sep-14 16:54:45

I'm getting quite disgusted with the scare mongering from Asda Morrisons etc that say their prices would have to go up if there was a Yes vote. The latest to jump on the bandwagon is Waitrose who don't even gave any stores in Scotland

I absolutely detest corporate dissembling. It treats they customers as idiots

Igneococcus Thu 11-Sep-14 16:56:28

Waitrose have store in Stirling (and i assume in Edi too), I'm planning to go next time I'm there because at the ripe old age of 48 I have never set foot in a Waitrose.

WetAugust Thu 11-Sep-14 16:57:58

the BBC have just apologised because there are actually Waitrose stores in Scotland

Why on earth are they getting this information so wrong.

Victrix Thu 11-Sep-14 17:00:41

I thought Asda had already said that they couldn't be certain what would happen to their prices?

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 11-Sep-14 17:03:46

Waitrose definitely do have stores in Scotland.

nicename Thu 11-Sep-14 17:06:54

There's a Waitrose near Aberdeen - well the boards were up last time I was there. I've been to the one in Stirling too. Isn't there one in Glasgow too? They have a Wholefoods...

WetAugust Thu 11-Sep-14 17:42:53

Yep. The Beeb were wrong in reporting there were no Waitress in Scotland

0Crivvens Thu 11-Sep-14 17:45:57

Only heard yesterday that Mike Russell the Scottish education minister had written that some nhs facilities should be privatised !

I had been thinking for a quite a while that he gone missing from our TV screens

Funny thing, coincidences like that
Hmmmm

So really Anything could happen after the vote

ArthurJob Thu 11-Sep-14 17:49:44

Salmond using MNet to big himself up in Radio 4 pm interview hmm

AbbieHoffmansAfro Thu 11-Sep-14 17:51:38

Seumas Milne in The Guardian cautioning against assuming independence and an SNP govt will give Scots a cosy Scandi social democracy here. No idea if he is right or not.

TeamScotland Thu 11-Sep-14 18:03:30

There's a Waitrose on Byres Road. I haven't seen one in Aberdeen.

I thought Morrisons had said their prices may go down a couple of weeks back.

daisyfraser Thu 11-Sep-14 18:10:56

Alex Salmond claimed on PM just now that he had won a Mumsnet poll.

What poll was that, MNHQ?

StatisticallyChallenged Thu 11-Sep-14 18:14:55

I saw the Mike Russell thing - it was in a book called "grasping the thistle"

linky to picture

WildThong Thu 11-Sep-14 18:17:15

Waitrose in the West End of Glasgow, one in Newton Mearns and another new one in Helensburgh

Tinkerball Thu 11-Sep-14 18:21:57

The only thing that will happen if Asda and Waitrose put up prices, which I doubt very much is other supermarkets becoming busier. I do most of my shopping in Aldi anyway.

prettybird Thu 11-Sep-14 18:23:39

I like this extract from the response by Morrisons about the non likelihood of increased prices.....
"....As far as we are aware the increased cost Ireland is due to a number of factors, the major one being the higher cost of distribution. Morrisons currently have in place a full distribution network within the current UK which would remain in place in the event of a Yes Vote. The only way we could envisage an increased cost for Scotland is if the Scottish Government were to push Scotland’s land mass away from the rest of the UK and into the North Sea." grin

BardarbungaBardarbing Thu 11-Sep-14 18:28:43

Abbie I have had a bit of a moment of clarity this week as I realised the long-term SNP people I know in my community ( So not those fellow travellers in the Yes camp who want a fairer Scotland) are the ones who are least compassionate and quite anti-poor.

Altinkum Thu 11-Sep-14 19:03:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Victrix Thu 11-Sep-14 19:14:40

prettybird I like that grin

sarine1 Thu 11-Sep-14 19:20:25

Listened to Alex Salmond on Radio 4 (pm) this evening telling Eddie Mair that he 'won the Mumsnet poll' over Alistair Darling yesterday. He was very complimentary about Mumsnet but did he win? Was there a poll? Did I miss something? confused

LineRunner Thu 11-Sep-14 19:37:11

No there was no poll and he didn't win. He answered two more questions that AD by hanging around longer, and was a bit chippier, but alarmist AD probably garnered the No vote from floaters more effectively that AS garnered the potential Yes vote.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Sep-14 19:40:39

No there was no poll and he didn't win

There was a referendum poll carried out on Mumsnet for, I think, Sunday Times. About 1000 responses. Yes more than No, can't remember figures.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »