WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. More here.

Live webchat with UKIP leader Nigel Farage, Thurs 24 Feb, 1-2pm

(742 Posts)
KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Feb-11 12:40:59

Our live webchat guest this week is Nigel Farage. He is the leader of UKIP and has been a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) since 1999.

Known for his straight-talking, Nigel has made the headlines with forthright speeches, once telling the EU President he had the charisma of a 'damp rag'.

He is a regular on programmes including BBC Question Time.

If you have a question you'd like to put to Nigel, please join the webchat this Thursday lunchtime, 1pm - 2pm. If you won't be around then, please post your question here.

Eleison Tue 22-Feb-11 13:50:15

I don't really want to talk to somone who is prepared to play to Islamophobia in order to play up to the racism of the BNP voters he wants to win over.

scottishmummy Tue 22-Feb-11 13:58:30

forthright is that euphemism for offensive,odious? certainly i will participate,not hard to refute his odious views.am suprised you invited him though

SheikYerbouti Tue 22-Feb-11 14:00:11

I can see he will be a popular choice hmm

DirtyMartini Tue 22-Feb-11 14:18:08

shock

hmm

Oh well, I suppose it's in the interests of giving all parties a fair hearing. But ew.

Eleison Tue 22-Feb-11 14:20:06

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Feb-11 14:23:40

scottishmummy

forthright is that euphemism for offensive,odious? certainly i will participate,not hard to refute his odious views.am suprised you invited him though

He asked to come on, and we thought it right to give him a hearing, though obviously no one is obliged to participate. Normal webchat rules apply smile.

FioFio Tue 22-Feb-11 14:26:08

Message deleted

scottishmummy Tue 22-Feb-11 14:27:46

do hope it is lively riposte with mn posters,many clever posters adept at challenging his opinions

SheikYerbouti Tue 22-Feb-11 14:34:39

Snort at Fio grin

midnightexpress Tue 22-Feb-11 14:35:39

JayS22 Tue 22-Feb-11 14:49:49

Offensive? Odious? Islamaphobic? All because he wants to leave the EU?

I'd rather like to live in a free democracy with a functional autonomous parliament.

Why not listen to what he says rather than what the Guardian or BBC has told you to believe?

DollyTwat Tue 22-Feb-11 14:56:18

MmeLindt Tue 22-Feb-11 15:01:42

anglosaxon Tue 22-Feb-11 15:09:28

As far as I can see Mr Farage only wants what my grandparents wanted in 1940, thats to be free from being ruled by an undemocratic, oppressive, unaccountable political power sitting somewhere in the middle of Europe. I just want my children to know what it really is like to live in a totally free, sovereign country with politicians we can get rid of.

scottishmummy Tue 22-Feb-11 15:14:24

Nigel,you regularly misrepresent statistics eg you said europe now makes 75% uk laws.this is untrue.do you use such tactics to incite indignation and create misplaced ire?

i am working thursday but will follow thread

ShirleyKnot Tue 22-Feb-11 15:16:51

^ what's with the blank posts?

Anyway. Good luck with this webchat and that. I might actually blow a gasket if I try to join in.

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 22-Feb-11 15:26:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MmeLindt Tue 22-Feb-11 15:27:06

Shirley
The idea was not to engage, to show our distaste of Farage's policies. Like turning your back on him. Not sure if it will work though, since we seem to have <ahem> some new posters.

PrincessStarla Tue 22-Feb-11 15:27:32

Why do people think UKIP is a racist party? Not trying to cause any arguments, just genuinely interested.

ShirleyKnot Tue 22-Feb-11 15:33:14

ah. (but how, HOW do you make a blank post? tis very clever)

HannahHack Tue 22-Feb-11 15:34:04

Do you agree with EU regulations on medicines and patient safety?

SheikYerbouti Tue 22-Feb-11 16:07:54

I am hmm at the post that compares the EU to the Nazi party

DuplicitousBitch Tue 22-Feb-11 16:09:34

scaryteacher Tue 22-Feb-11 16:21:05

I would like to know how it would work practically coming out of the EU. Will it attempt to fine us; hold on to us at all?

Could we just follow the lead of many other nations, including Belgium, in that most just ignore EU legislation when it comes out and carry on as they were anyway?

What are your views on the EAS? Do you think that Baroness Ashton should be kicked into touch and who should replace her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now