Talk

Advanced search

WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. More here.

Facebook Live about talking to kids about staying safe from abuse with NSPCC

(506 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-Aug-18 21:47:11

We’re running a facebook live with NSPCC about talking to kids about staying safe from abuse. The NSPCC have developed programme called Speak out. Stay safe delivered in primary schools across the UK. Volunteers visit schools where they run workshops and assemblies to teach children how to stay safe from abuse and what to do if they have any concerns. The NSPCC are also running a campaign called PANTS that teaches parents how to talk to young children about staying safe from sexual abuse in an age appropriate and non-scary way.

Lidl say: "'Last year Lidl UK employees voted to make the NSPCC their new national charity partner for a three year period. During this period, this partnership will aim to raise £3 million to keep 1 million primary school children safe through the NSPCC’s Speak out. Stay safe programme. This vital programme helps to empower a generation of children with the knowledge they need to stay safe. With at least 2 children in the average primary school class having suffered abuse or neglect, it’s vital that the NSPCC has the resources to visit primary schools across the UK to teach children that abuse is never OK."

Join the NSPCC live next week on Thursday 30 August at 12.30pm on Mumsnet Facebook or post up a question on this thread that we will put to the NSPCC during the live stream. We’ll link to the stream next week on this thread.

LemonJello Wed 29-Aug-18 20:27:23

From the NSPCC underwear rule:

Your body belongs to you. No-one should ever make you do things that make you feel embarrassed or uncomfortable.
No means no and you always have the right to say “no’. You’re in control of your body and the most important thing is how YOU feel. If you want to say ‘NO’, it’s your choice.

Guidelines produced for schools in Scotland (approved by Scotgov and endorsed by children’s orgs) recommend that male bodied children be allowed to share sleeping accommodation, toilets and changing rooms with girls.

If any girl or her parents feel uncomfortable, embarrassed or distressed by this, and “say NO” (as NSPCC encourage, above), the first response recommended by the guidelines is to remind them of “inclusion, equality and respect”.

Do he NSPCC consider that this response, particularly the implication that saying NO is antithetical to respect, aligns with the principles of the underwear rule?

Cismyfatarse Wed 29-Aug-18 22:04:00

Should I have been required, in line with guidance from the Scottish Government and my Council, advised by LGBTQ Youth Scotland and Stonewall, to allow a trans pupil to be accommodated with their acquired gender. This is on a week long residential trip. This included sharing bathrooms, toilets and other facilities with pupils of the opposite sex.

These were 15/16/17 year olds. The pupil had made no changes to themselves beyond a change of name and pronoun.

Parents and other pupils were not allowed to be consulted.

Theswaggyotter Wed 29-Aug-18 22:07:50

Should a young girl who is a lesbian have to accept a ‘transbian’ complete with male genitalia is a partner? If she doesn’t she will be accused of transphobia. Do you think this is contributing to the escalating numbers of young women self harming and deciding they are trans themselves (in order to escape male sexual advances)

IAmLurkacus Wed 29-Aug-18 22:23:14

Why is this thread no longer showing in active @MNHQ how is anyone not already on the thread going to find it to post a question?

Gentlygently Wed 29-Aug-18 22:28:10

I can’t do the Facebook live - is anyone planning to ask a question live? I wonder if any of these will be addressed?

MrsFogi Wed 29-Aug-18 23:06:40

Has the NSPCC noticed how concerned parents are about the issue of self-identification in relation to safeguarding children? If so, does the NSPCC consider that its guidelines are mainly focused on protecting children or on being "politically correct"? If the latter, how does this square with the NSPCC's stated aims?

theOtherPamAyres Wed 29-Aug-18 23:38:23

My question is about the sexual harassment of children and teenage girls by adult men in public spaces.

Recently, some posters on mumsnet have sought advice about how to protect their daughters from unwanted and uninvited approaches from men when the daughters have been walking to and from school . A mother describes how her child has been followed by kerb crawlers, has received lewd comments from strangers, and how men invade her personal space when she is out with her friends. She is 12.

I think all of us have experience of being demeaned and frightened by indecent behaviour, including indecent exposure, but it is a tall order for children to manage and cope with.

Is there any organisation or charity that is doing something around the prevention of pestering and intimidating children in overtly sexual tones? How do we, as parents, protect children from sexual harassment by adults?

HavingALittleBabyToolshed Thu 30-Aug-18 00:49:56

Do you think sex segregation in school toilets, changing rooms, clubs (like Girl Guides), safe spaces and similar venues should be replaced with gender segregation despite it going against all safe guarding principles?

SPOFS Thu 30-Aug-18 00:51:57

Do you think that school bathrooms should be segregated by sex or gender? Why?

Happityhap Thu 30-Aug-18 01:05:22

Can you explain why the language surrounding genitalia is becoming blurred. Why male genitalia is being called female and that children are being taught that biological sex and genitalia are irrelevant.

Can you really not understand that we are raising a generation of girls who do not know how to assert their boundaries, because they are being told their boundaries are not theirs assert. That the language they should be able to use is being removed.

I also want to ask this question as it's at the root of the matter of safeguarding children, particularly girls.

Gentlygently Thu 30-Aug-18 08:15:39

Just to say a big thank you to MN for doing this. These are such important questions and I really look forward to seeing the answers.

LemonJello Thu 30-Aug-18 09:28:59

Yes I’d also like to say a big thank you to MN for doing this.

I’d also like to say that if there are any unforeseen circumstances that mean this doesn’t go ahead today, NSPCC might like to consider how else they could address these legitimate and pressing concerns from parents regarding the safeguarding of their children.

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas Thu 30-Aug-18 09:33:00

Yes thanks for doing this.

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas Thu 30-Aug-18 09:35:08

Oh aye, it has been pulled from active.

Moanslice Thu 30-Aug-18 09:44:49

I doubt it has been 'pulled'...is it just NOT active?

tiredandweary Thu 30-Aug-18 10:24:53

I have such respect for the NSPCC. I've worked with them over the years in a number of instances and their helpline is one that I have repeatedly referred parents and individuals to - always with great effect.

I do hope that the safety of children always remains their number one priority - even if it means facing down the scary and threatening adult organisations.

LemonJello Thu 30-Aug-18 10:53:35

I do hope that the safety of children always remains their number one priority - even if it means facing down the scary and threatening adult organisations.

Well said.

And if the NSPCC finds facing down these organisations scary, perhaps they could spare a thought for just how scary it might be for a girl to say “NO”, when all expectations are that she comply with sharing with male bodied children, and if she doesn’t she can expect to be branded a bigoted transphobe.

Datun Thu 30-Aug-18 11:23:22

This isn't an extra question, just underpinning my question about the removal of language resulting in the inability to maintain boundaries.

Are you happy that we are teaching our young girls that this man is a woman?

Language is vital. Clarity of thought can only be achieved with clarity of language.

There have been numerous women on here who comment along the lines of thank you for saying that, I had that feeling/thought, but couldn't find the words to describe it.

We are removing that ability for our children, in the most specific way possible in terms of safeguarding.

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas Thu 30-Aug-18 11:36:15

I doubt it has been 'pulled'...is it just NOT active?

When one posts on a thread, immediately presses 'active' and the thread doesn't appear in active, even though it was literally just posted on, it means it has been pulled from appearing in 'active threads'.

Happityhap Thu 30-Aug-18 12:00:39

SPOFS Thu 30-Aug-18 12:12:39

This thread not being in active may be a good thing though. These web chats are normally full of banal "what's your favourite biscuit"-type questions. Since the thread has attracted many GC feminists, there's a high chance that the NSPCC will have to answer at least one of the GC questions.

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas Thu 30-Aug-18 12:27:18

What is NSPCC's favourite biscuit?

NameChangedAgain18 Thu 30-Aug-18 12:28:12

Can someone who is in FB post up some of questions that are on here, so that they don’t get ignored in favour of less “political” questions that might be asked on FB?

Tunataka Thu 30-Aug-18 12:37:15

How does it work?

Happityhap Thu 30-Aug-18 12:38:36

Am I being dense?
Can't see anything about this on FB. It should be on now, right?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: