Talk

Advanced search

Honest question. Is this site a religious site?

(836 Posts)
follderol Mon 26-Jan-09 18:01:55

It seems to me there's a large amount of Christian posts. I've also noticed a fair amount of disapproval for other religions.

I am an atheist. I don't really want to be part of a christian site posing as a parenting site.

So is this actually a Christian place?

whitenoise Mon 26-Jan-09 18:03:41

no there are lots of religions on MN

eekamoose Mon 26-Jan-09 18:04:30

Don't be daft.

SoMuchToBits Mon 26-Jan-09 18:04:43

There are also quite a few people (like me) who aren't remotely religious. I don't feel out of place here.

HecateQueenOfGhosts Mon 26-Jan-09 18:04:57

No.

There are people on it who are Christian.
There are people on it who are Muslim.
In fact, any and every faith (or lack thereof grin ) are represented here.
We even have some witches (wicca??)

There is a whole section on religion - which you can exclude as a topic if you like, then you won't see any threads on it. Just click on 'customise talk board' at the top and go from there.

KerryMumbles Mon 26-Jan-09 18:05:28

pmsl @ op.

FAQtothefuture Mon 26-Jan-09 18:05:36

start a thread about faith schools.....

you'll get your answer then wink

ClementFreudsGreatestAdmirer Mon 26-Jan-09 18:05:46

since you ask though follderol, i was having a very atheist moment yesterday and really wanted to discuss it, but didn't know where to begin or how to approach it. so i bottled it.

iheartdusty Mon 26-Jan-09 18:05:55

not my experience at all

I have been posting intermittently here for about 3 years I think.

I am a solid atheist, and generally pick up any hint of Christianity, being rather over-sensitive to it, probably.

But I have never thought for one moment that MN is a 'Christian' site.

There are many sensible broad minded tolerant wise Christian posters, just as there are sensible etc non-Christians on here.

If anything I relish the way that simplistic intolerance which relies on religious ideals is ripped apart by the intellectual element on MN..

whitenoise Mon 26-Jan-09 18:06:03

in fact there is probably at least one religion that can only be found herewink

Lulumama Mon 26-Jan-09 18:06:17

not at all, there are some specific Christian prayer threads, but anyone is welcome to post on them.. i have done so in the past, and am not christian and got some beautiful prayers when my grandmother was dying.

i have been here for 2.4 years and it has never, ever occurred to me that this site could come across as religious!

'posing as a parenting site' - quite an odd impression to get of MN.. if you had said ' a site full of harridans , spoiling for a fight,'then i;'d get your point !! grin

KerryMumbles Mon 26-Jan-09 18:06:17

though there can be uproar if you start a thread called:

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!!!

twinsetandpearls Mon 26-Jan-09 18:06:29

I would say there is more disaproval of Christianity than any other religion to be honest and it is not a Christian site but some posters are Christian and reflect this in their posts.

follderol Mon 26-Jan-09 18:06:50

Maybe you don't see it because you're already comfortable here and know your way around. Maybe its also the timing of me coming on here. But I'm not joking nor am I trying to be funny.

mollyroger Mon 26-Jan-09 18:07:07

I bet there are some confirmed Jedi Knights here too! wink

Start a thread asking all non-christians to sign in, You'll amazed...

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsMattie Mon 26-Jan-09 18:07:26

Hell NO. There are plenty of us atheists around, too grin. We exist (really, we do) grin

stanausauruswrecks Mon 26-Jan-09 18:07:33

It's a good job there haven't been too many bumsex posts recently grin !!

Twims Mon 26-Jan-09 18:08:05

Not that I can see Follderol as Hecate said - there are people who are christian, people who are muslim, people who are sikhs, people who are atheist, people who are wicca and people who are trolls - each have their own stories to tell and we don't on a whole judge them for what they say unless the troll says they are planning on a pink wedding with pink geese following them up the aisle grin

Tortington Mon 26-Jan-09 18:08:08

ask a god question

annnnnnnnny gd question you like

sit back - grab yourself popcorn - and watch your answer unfold

god loves you my child

i am really to be addressed as 'The most revituderal beatificastic Custardo pope'

sarah293 Mon 26-Jan-09 18:08:29

Message withdrawn

follderol Mon 26-Jan-09 18:08:32

"By MrsMattie on Mon 26-Jan-09 18:07:26
Hell NO. There are plenty of us atheists around, too grin. We exist (really, we do) grin "

ROFL grin

MissusLindt Mon 26-Jan-09 18:08:55

ROFL at the OP.

No, not at all.

mollyroger Mon 26-Jan-09 18:09:24

Twims.. Wish I'd thought of that!! grin

KerryMumbles Mon 26-Jan-09 18:09:40

Don't forget about us agnostics....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now