Talk

Advanced search

Do we have a MN Christmas threads full house yet?

(308 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CloseEncountersOfTheTerfKind Fri 20-Dec-19 10:33:30

Another thread has made me realise there are so many threads/posts about Christmas stresses and angst, and the same things seem to pop up every year. Every single year! I think we need cards and a competition to see who wins Full House first...

DH went out for his works Christmas party and has not come home yet and it's 7am - where is he? <75% of MNers says he got pissed but he should have texted at least, 20% say he must have OW, and 5% say YABU let the poor man have fun and don't be controlling>

AIBU to not want to go to MILs because (and insert seriously shockYANBU reasons) - I am 39 + 5 and she lives four hours away/she won't serve allergy free food/she once called me a cunt? <someone always says YABU>

AIBU to not want to go to MILs because (and insert tenuous, very unimportant reasons) - she wants to do stockings for the DGC but this is my role/she once took DC to the wrong grotto/she serves the wrong stuffing? <lots of people say YANBU and someone says go NC>

AIBU to not buy presents for someone who I have been buying gifts for their DC for the last ten years and spent £50 each time but they never get anything for my DC? <everyone bangs their head on the desk>

AIBU to ask what to do when I have no money for Christmas presents or even to put the electric on? My poor twins won't have any presents at all and I have no family/neighbours/food banks etc. There is nothing I can do. Poor twins. <99% of MNers still try and make helpful suggestions but warn others not to offer money, 1% say "have PMed you sigh>

AIBU to blame my SIL for something which is actually equally due to my BIL, or blame my MIL for something which is equally due to FIL? <everyone ignores the fact men are equally capable of putting a dog in a crate or buying the correct size clothes for presents and judges the MIL>

AIBU that DH imagines all the Christmas work is done by fairies and doesn't "help" me at all? A description of a lazy arsed, self centred man follows who doesn't spend any time thinking what his DC would like and "can't cook Christmas dinner" <lots of MNers say all men are like that and it just isn't important to them, don't expect and respect or kindness or set your bar more than an inch off the ground>

AIBU that my DD hasn't got a speaking part in the nativity and is a donkey? Surely all DC could say one line at least <99% of MNers say
YABU and take turns, 1% say the teacher is shit and see the HT to complain>

AIBU that my DH's family are all really horrible to me and DH doesn't want to stand up to them? <99% say you have a DH problem, 1% talk about how he is deep in the FOG and assert yourself to MIL (always MIL only!) and don't expect your DH to do it for you)

Have I missed anything?

I'm very sad we didn't have MN the year my MIL got drunk and called me a slut and a snob. It would have been epic. In fairness, she meant slut as in messy house, so was probably right, and I'll hold my hands up to the snob thing sometimes too blush

Averyyounggrandmaofsix Fri 20-Dec-19 10:48:12

A slut and a snob, love it!

FairyJuice Fri 20-Dec-19 10:56:02

grin

Can I add the eleventy billion post Xmas threads where the op is unhappy with perfectly reasonable gifts <99% say yabu and the present is lovely, 1% say ltb>

And conversely, the threads where op is unhappy with ridiculously awful/total lack of present <99% say ltb, 1% say yabu and are very entitled to expect anything at all>

CloseEncountersOfTheTerfKind Fri 20-Dec-19 11:03:29

Oooh yes good point.

@Averyyounggrandmaofsix Luckily I don't have a DH problem wink so he told her to fuck off, it was like something out of Shameless <realised that I am a terrible snob>. I'm always tempted to drag it up in a think yourself lucky way when people moan their MILs bought their DCs an advent calendar and they don't want them to have two, but I don't think people would believe me grin

Ednafrommooneyponds Fri 20-Dec-19 11:03:53

I've not yet seen a Christmas Facebook marketplace/eBay selling tat thread yet

CloseEncountersOfTheTerfKind Fri 20-Dec-19 11:05:11

Ooooh!

DH had my parcel delivered by Amazon and I accidentally totally on purpose opened it. The diamond earrings aren't my taste, should I tell him or not?

<licks bingo pencil>

CloseEncountersOfTheTerfKind Fri 20-Dec-19 11:05:46

Edna you're just not looking hard enough smile

ssd Fri 20-Dec-19 11:07:14

This thread comes across quite mean spirited.
Some folk struggle at Xmas.
Taking the rip out them is a bit mean.

Fucck Fri 20-Dec-19 11:08:46

I can call HOUSE, I've got a line. I think I'm just one off a full BINGO though 🤷🏼‍♀️

Kannet Fri 20-Dec-19 11:08:53

There is always a hungry at the in-laws one as well.

CloseEncountersOfTheTerfKind Fri 20-Dec-19 11:14:22

@ssd I can't tell whether you are genuinely reprimanding me or saying there is always a thread like that blush

If it's the former, this thread was actually prompted by me saying on another thread that I'm fed up with all the genuinely petty shit when people (including myself!) have quite genuinely stressful shit going on. I suppose one persons petty shit is someone else's stressful shit though...

Also it's meant to be lighthearted not mean
wink

wanderings Fri 20-Dec-19 11:14:45

You forgot Secret Santa. fwink The threads on that are endless: I received rubbish, I gave a great gift unlike everyone else, I think the whole idea is rubbish.

DS1 doesn't believe any more. What consequences should I threaten him with for spoiling things for the younger DC?

Christmas is bad for the environment, with the cards and wrapping ending up in landfill. (Will Greta become the new Scrooge?)

Now for some which I haven't really seen on MN, but which are typical of MN:
I don't want my Christian MIL indoctrinating my children about the birth of Christ, with all that nonsense about the virgin birth, Bethlehem, and the Angel Gabriel.

Boris Johnson wore a Santa hat on TV. AIBU that this is totally inappropriate, and traumatising for the children?

Why does it never snow on Christmas Day (in England at least)?

And now, everybody, here is my own personal biggest first-world gripe about Christmas: the lack of netball. fshock fshock fshock In the last week or two, players frequently miss games because they have to attend office Xmas parties, so we have to forfeit them, and then there are no games until the new year.

BarkandCheese Fri 20-Dec-19 11:16:10

Christmas and dogs. Either the OP is going to a relatives house who has a dog and wants the dog shut away, or the OP has a dog, the relatives are coming to her and want the dog sit away. Or the relatives coming are wanting to bring a dog, or the batshit variant where the dog is actually two piglets.

ssd Fri 20-Dec-19 11:18:10

Fair enough if it's lighthearted, maybe I'm just in the wrong frame of mind to see it like that.
I'm just struggling a bit and your op made me feel like people are laughing about it.
Sorry to read it wrong.

NameChangeNugget Fri 20-Dec-19 11:19:57

Very funny thread OP grin

ScribblyGum Fri 20-Dec-19 11:21:08

Not seen a trifle thread yet. I love the annual trifle thread (arguments over inclusion of jelly), despite having lost my trifle mojo.

CrocodileFrock Fri 20-Dec-19 11:26:48

Have we had a thread yet where the OP is annoyed because someone else's thread title indicated that Santa might not actually exist?

OP: My DS was reading over my shoulder and now he knows that Santa isn't real, you bastards!

25% of replies: If he's old enough to read that, he's too old to still believe in Santa anyway!

Bosom-hoikers: You let your child read MN over your shoulder? Tell me where you live so that I can report you to SS, you monster!

The militants: MNHQ should ban those thread titles immediately. It's child cruelty!

The over-invested: Leave notes around the house from Santa. In fact, send me your address and I'll write one for you.

Everyone else: Meh!

FadedRed Fri 20-Dec-19 11:27:05

What about the threads about Christmas cards? Do you send? Don’t you send? Do you ‘hate the mess and put them (unopened) straight into the recycling bin’?

BlackeyedSusan Fri 20-Dec-19 11:30:06

You've missed the annual AIBU to not want to travel on Christmas Eve, due date 25th, and DH has not booked a room thread.

Also the have you put the Christmas tree up

And is £500 per child enough to spend?

BlackeyedSusan Fri 20-Dec-19 11:33:14

@CrocodileFrock I found out DD could sound out and blend words when she sounded out c*nt the asterisk makes no difference when sounding out.

CrocodileFrock Fri 20-Dec-19 11:37:28

BlackeyedSusan - That brings back memories of DS and his Phonics bus toy where you had to press the letters on the side to make the sounds. "Buh-guh" was a particular favourite. blush

Alsohuman Fri 20-Dec-19 11:39:02

I’m looking forward to the one complaining about the state of the ils’ spare room and how inconvenient it is that it hasn’t got an en-suite with endless fluffy towels and “high end” toiletries.

CloseEncountersOfTheTerfKind Fri 20-Dec-19 11:42:38

@ssd sorry you are struggling thanks I myself am probably grinchy and bitter as my health is poor and I'm having to cancel lots of things including letting my DC down on something important.

I think this thread is a better way for me than going onto threads with the "think yourself lucky, I would love to be able to do crap secret Santa/spend too much money/have to go and do lots of shopping" and it genuinely is meant to be lighthearted.

On that note, I'm liking all the MN classic gripes, they really are all true!

Wherearemyminions Fri 20-Dec-19 11:48:03

Oh god yes, the spare rooms ones, love those "PILs put us in DH's old room, they didn't give up their room for us" or "I always have beautiful toiletries for guests but SIL expected us to make do with supermarket own brand handwash"

dayslikethese1 Fri 20-Dec-19 11:49:12

There's always threads from people who are affronted to receive Christmas cards (including people who put them straight in the bin), also ILs hosting who only serve one sprout, a tiny slice of chicken and no roasties grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »