Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how my dd got to 14 thinking this was the real phrase?

(895 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

WellVersedInEtiquette Thu 03-Oct-19 16:23:48

We've all be ill on and off since they went back to school.
One morning Dd was telling me that she had a 'bummed up nose' I asked her to repeat it and she said the same.
I tried to clarify what she was saying and told her it was actually 'bunged up nose'. She laughed and thought I was joking!
She's decided she's going to carry on saying it the way she does grin
Please tell me it's not just us. confused

Myimaginaryfamiliarhasfleas Fri 01-Nov-19 20:23:50

For the past thirty years DH and I have been unable to say "muscles" properly. Ever since DD wrote "mucsles" in a piece of school work grin

Whatsthatbrightlght Fri 01-Nov-19 18:01:15

DS couldn’t say scrambled or adverts when he was younger.

We still say mangled and avderts in this house!

2girlsandagap Thu 31-Oct-19 10:27:42

Dd2 has a planket on her bed and bumbleseeds painted on the walls. She also calls spaghetti pahsketti

Firstdatesboxsets Thu 31-Oct-19 10:12:40

Until about a month ago (I’m 37) I thought that tuna was dolphin meat... it’s because I always used to see adverts saying dolphin friendly tuna (thought it was killed in a friendly way)

CrazySnakeLady Fri 25-Oct-19 21:14:07

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who read misled as myzeld. I think I was early 20s before the penny dropped blush

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 18-Oct-19 21:42:28

Didn't realise till far too late in life that vehement was not pronounced va-hee-ment, but vee-uh-ment. Despite having seen it written and heard it said many many times, I didn't connect the two.

AlphaJura Fri 18-Oct-19 07:41:30

I used to think that 'fortnight' was fork night.

My dd used to say Octover, toddler groot (toddler group), glubs instead of
Gloves and she thought that the company Travis Perkins which is on our road was Travis Firkins. So cute!

DoveOfPiss Thu 17-Oct-19 18:16:47

Ketchup will forever be Matt Soos in our house thanks to my DD1 (now 17) when she was a toddler.
And a horse was 'a norse' and a sheep a 'peesh' for years too... gringrin

MartineDubreuil Tue 15-Oct-19 07:46:00

Maybe Sianinva means that they read it as reesipe and didn't realise it was the same word as recypy that was used in conversation

Shessobrave Tue 15-Oct-19 02:08:00

I think we're just a nation full of people with minor hearing issues 🤷🏼‍♀️

OkPedro Tue 15-Oct-19 01:46:07

Wtf sianinva I have no idea what you or your dh mean 😂

Sianinva Tue 15-Oct-19 01:03:54

My DH (from Kansas] thought that recipe (ree-sipe) and recipe (recypy) were two separate words for the longest time. But then his ‘granma’, in Kansas, used to shoot squirrels out of the trees, skin them and fry them up for breakfast in pig fat. So there wasn’t a lot of hereditary culinary literature. And he fessed up with a giggle.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sun 13-Oct-19 19:10:15

When ex premie DS finally grew out of his size 0 nappies, I said musingly to DH, "it's the end of an era!"

DD1's little indignant voice piped up from another room: "it is NOT the end of the mirror!"

I used to babysit for a little boy who would sing "I've got a feeling / that we're dancing on the ceiling".

DD2 (19 mos) is also convinved cows say boo instead of moo. She ran enthusiastically towards a stile today, eyeing up the cows behind it and shouting "Boo, BOO!" to them.

janj2301 Sun 13-Oct-19 16:28:08

my niece Jayne pronounces her name as two syllables, shes from SE England

SenecaFalls Sun 13-Oct-19 14:15:37

How many of you think the name Jane has one syllable? Most if you are reading this with a puzzled expression "yes, of course it does what is this nonsense?"
Anyone in Northern Ireland? Say it out loud - 2 syllables! Jayunn.
Mind. Blown.

I'm from the US Deep South. Of course Jane has two syllables. Even possibly more if you are calling her across a crowded room. smile

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sun 13-Oct-19 14:01:01

Ohhh no, @Decadoma - you can’t stop the pork/stork debate - I am loving the picture in my head of MNers up and down the country muttering pork and stork whilst their loved ones do this confused face at them! winkgrin

Knittedfairies Sun 13-Oct-19 13:29:53

The anno/piano story reminds me of the Christmas my daughter wanted a Poor Little Jim. Despite questioning, I was no nearer to finding out what a Poor Little Gym might be... It was only when she added 'from Ronco' that the penny dropped. At the time, a contraption that's hooked under a door was heavily advertised on television; it was called a portable gym. Father Christmas did not bring one, but all was well.

Plumnora Sun 13-Oct-19 12:11:21

A few ago, DD kept on saying “oh my giddy arse”! Which, tbh, I think is better than the correct phrase!!

Decadoma Sun 13-Oct-19 11:49:49

Can I put pork and stork finally to bed please. Regional accents. No-one is right or wrong!

cassie2and2 Sun 13-Oct-19 08:43:46

my very young son wanted a Happy Anno for christmas,
took him to toy shop so he could point one out, no luck,
he said auntie Joan had one, turned out to be .......A Piano

QueenofallIsee Sun 13-Oct-19 01:54:35

I’ve posted this before but I was travelling home by train next to a lovely woman whose father had been seriously injured and she was going home to see him. He was in an accident so severe he endured an amputation and had to have a ‘prophylactic leg’ fitted.

Jojo2wyatt Sun 13-Oct-19 01:45:59

Lol, I have an American South Georgia accent and pork, fork. Stork, dork, torque, cork, all rhyme in my accent, too.

MetallicHighlights Sun 13-Oct-19 00:11:04

Living On A Prayer - according to DS aged 5 the lyrics were “Take my hand and we’ll make your dad swear...” grin

Mummygreenpea Sat 12-Oct-19 23:44:10

My DD age 8 has been asking for a few years to have her ears ‘pissed’. I’m desperate to tell her the real pronunciation but obviously don’t want to teach her swear words!

Decadoma Sat 12-Oct-19 23:24:08

How many of you think the name Jane has one syllable? Most if you are reading this with a puzzled expression "yes, of courseit does what is this nonsense?"
Anyone in Northern Ireland? Say it out loud - 2 syllables! Jayunn.
Mind. Blown.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »