Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how my dd got to 14 thinking this was the real phrase?

(895 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

WellVersedInEtiquette Thu 03-Oct-19 16:23:48

We've all be ill on and off since they went back to school.
One morning Dd was telling me that she had a 'bummed up nose' I asked her to repeat it and she said the same.
I tried to clarify what she was saying and told her it was actually 'bunged up nose'. She laughed and thought I was joking!
She's decided she's going to carry on saying it the way she does grin
Please tell me it's not just us. confused

Jaichangecentfoisdenom Thu 03-Oct-19 16:54:24

We are bad parents and our language is not always that polite. Our child was convinced that on our lazy days, we "couldn't be asked" to do stuff!

BertieDrapper Thu 03-Oct-19 16:55:31

My mum, inher 60s says

Chimleys for chimneys

Calls clackets lane , cackets lane and adds an "ING" into the name of local road by her....

Each one we have corrected her but to no avail.... we just laugh about it as she will never change.

But the most annoying is the way she says "Ariel" for the little mermaid.... she says "A-re-el and I can't bear it!

DoctorAllcome Thu 03-Oct-19 16:56:11

My parents would always call a toll gate a troll gate and we’d pull up and they’d say “time to pay the troll better hope it’s not hungry or it’ll want one of you kids to eat”

It took years before we realized it was a joke and toll roads were not troll roads where you paid trolls in troll booths instead of them jumping out from under bridges and causing traffic jams.

Windydaysuponus Thu 03-Oct-19 16:56:44

Waldrobe to store clothes.
Ds 24...
Floordrobe used by teen ds's...

SistersOfPercy Thu 03-Oct-19 16:58:46

so how many of you thought the lyrics to 3 Lions were...

Three Lions on a shirt
Jewels remain still gleaming

Because I'll bet a good portion of you sing that as well.

IdblowJonSnow Thu 03-Oct-19 16:59:01

I thought the song 'dirty old town (toon)' was dirty old tarn. Consequently unable to pass a lake without singing it...blush

Gooseygoosey12345 Thu 03-Oct-19 16:59:36

Not really the same but DS(2) calls his Pooh Bear (Winnie the Pooh) "butt change bear" 😂😂 he'll be known by that forever

SilverChime Thu 03-Oct-19 17:02:01

Round here the phrase “bummed up” means “constipated” 😂

CustardCreamLover Thu 03-Oct-19 17:02:12

I used to think row row row your boat ended with life's a butter dream so combined with the PP upthread we got the entire song wrong!

iklboo Thu 03-Oct-19 17:02:27

DS used to tell us he saw a statube of Dark Vader and his Life Saver.

He tried eating lompster but preferred scrumpled egg.

Sohololopopo Thu 03-Oct-19 17:03:05

My DP - early thirties calls Hermione HARMARNY and Hedwig HEDGEWIG and my nephew calls Voldemort Voldermer and Pronounces Quick as Thick! Still! (We are VERY Harry Potter)

AiryFairy1 Thu 03-Oct-19 17:03:22

We also have “trickle treating” here, and their school has a lot of festibals, not such young kids here - I think it’s cute grin

Chouetted Thu 03-Oct-19 17:03:25

sticky foot for certificate...

windandme Thu 03-Oct-19 17:05:18

@BertieDrapper is she from the West Country? All my family say it and it was only when I got to 40 I realised it was not 'chimley'. blushblushblush

Mrbay Thu 03-Oct-19 17:06:26

I thought eton mess was Elton's Mess for years - yes as in Elton John, seems perfectly logical that would have the time to knock up a new dessert!

butteryellow Thu 03-Oct-19 17:07:02

Continuing the Star Wars theme, I have to keep a completely straight face as DS calls the little green guy Master Yodeller - because if I laugh, he'll stop saying it.

Bluntness100 Thu 03-Oct-19 17:07:52

My husband says pork like it rhymes with stork, it drives me nuts and I want to punch him when he says it.

Casander Thu 03-Oct-19 17:08:38

Not a pronunciation so not quite the same but I was an adult when I realised a Haggis wasn't actually an animal thanks dad

tmh88 Thu 03-Oct-19 17:08:53

I use to say clompicated and I still really struggle now to say complicated and not clompicated blush

OMGshefoundmeout Thu 03-Oct-19 17:09:23

My DS used to call Marks and Spencers ‘Marks and Spensive’ because I used to complain about the prices in there. That one has stuck.

Marshmallow91 Thu 03-Oct-19 17:10:06

I used to think the company "artimage shanks" was "artimage sharks" when I was about 6...i never put my hands near the plughole in case I got bit grin

AryaStarkWolf Thu 03-Oct-19 17:11:34

My DP - early thirties calls Hermione HARMARNY and Hedwig HEDGEWIG and my nephew calls Voldemort Voldermer and Pronounces Quick as Thick! Still! (We are VERY Harry Potter)

and my DD used to cal Harry Potter Harry the Potter

butteryellow Thu 03-Oct-19 17:11:51

My husband says pork like it rhymes with stork, it drives me nuts and I want to punch him when he says it.

Gonna need some help here - can you describe more how they might be said differently?

bruffin Thu 03-Oct-19 17:11:56

My GP ran a green grocers and florist when i was little. She used to say that the "Old Sailors were coming today" i used lookout for old men in blue bell bottom uniform , but they never turned up. It was back in the 60s.
Asked my mum why the Old Sailors never turned up, she laughed and explained it was "Wholesalers" doing a delivery.

polkadotpixie Thu 03-Oct-19 17:12:00

@Bluntness100 Pork does rhyme with Stork doesn't it? Have I been saying it wrong for 35 years?! 🙈

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »