Talk

Advanced search

to share the things my BIL has moaned about whilst staying at our house for the past 3 days?

(630 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BanKittenHeels Sun 15-Sep-19 15:50:25

Amazon Prime Video doesn’t have the new Quentin Tarantino film that has just come out at the cinema. Ergo Amazon Prime is a waste of money.

The shower screen in the guest bathroom has a stationary rather than hinged shower screen.

That someone used the loo in the middle of the night and he could hear them flush - his bedroom door was 3/4 open.

We have stair gates, so our children don’t break their necks. “Really inconvenient”

The Thai restaurant sent us too many prawn crackers. They sent an appropriate amount for the number of people, actually.

My deodorant is blue. And what?

We don’t have an endless supply of spare clothes in his size and to his taste.

His hair was still in the shower in his en suite when he went back to use it the next day.

The towels I put out for him are white.

Our front gate is too squeaky.

The planes overhead are too low.

We have too many rugs.

He can hear traffic when in the garden.

Our dogs won’t cuddle him.

Our children wear shorts.

The settings of the seats in the car we lent him weren’t to his liking.

He doesn’t like the preset radio stations on our car radio.

My DH (his brother) “doesn’t wear a hat”??????

We don’t have his very specific music taste available to him on vinyl, although we did think to search out appropriate Spotify playlists for him but “that’s not quite the same authenticity”.

The local swimming pool (in a large city) keeps “provincial, British hours”.

Microwave steamers are “excessive gadgets”. Then 30 minutes later, “I suppose you could steam veg in your steamer, have you thought of that?” No shit!

None of the 3 duvets we offered him were suitable.

I use my inhaler too frequently.

Why do I have rosehip oil in the bathroom, it’s of no use to anyone.

confused hmmangry

BanKittenHeels Sun 15-Sep-19 16:01:41

DH said “Jesus you don’t like anything do you, John?” and to another comment “there is a hotel 300m away”.

He doesn’t get it. His dissatisfaction with everything is so deeply ingrained into his personality that I don’t think he will ever shake it. DH said he was like this as a small child too.

DH just brought DS back from rugby and he said “paying for a hobby is excessive, can’t he just play cards?” 😂🙄🤷‍♀️

PrincessHoneysuckle Sun 15-Sep-19 16:02:08

Cave his head in I'll give you an alibi

EssentialHummus Sun 15-Sep-19 16:02:31

I agree BIL, we just like different things. There’s a nice hotel over on x street that may be more to your liking. And then silence.

kaytee87 Sun 15-Sep-19 16:02:42

Is there something wrong with him? Seriously?

RebootYourEngine Sun 15-Sep-19 16:02:54

What have your replies been to this nonsense?

littlepaddypaws Sun 15-Sep-19 16:04:13

why is he staying and has dh said anything to him about his rudeness ?

AJoeySpecial Sun 15-Sep-19 16:04:35

Cards? And waste money on that frippery? Surely there’s a stick nearby he could play with. Or an interestingly shaped stone?

GCAcademic Sun 15-Sep-19 16:04:53

I would rip the absolute piss out of him. Constantly. Does he not have an ounce of self-awareness?

iklboo Sun 15-Sep-19 16:04:55

Wait till he leaves you a Tripadvisor review grin

BanKittenHeels Sun 15-Sep-19 16:05:19

He is actually married (to a lovely woman) but he lives in a non-English speaking country and I don’t think he knows how to moan in another language just yet.

My responses have ranged from rolling my eyes to saying “if you don’t like it, you know what to do”.

Ambidexte Sun 15-Sep-19 16:06:01

You have nothing to lose.

Put itching powder in his bed.

Shrink his clothes in the wash (assuming he actually owns any clothes. Maybe he just uses his hosts' clothing instead while travelling?)

Sing outside his room at 3am in a less than authentic style.

Serve him untoasted crumpets for tea.

He is going to complain anyway. You might as well have some fun with it.

CheshireChat Sun 15-Sep-19 16:06:48

Friends of DP's were the same, I don't get it!

What's wrong with kids wearing shorts though?!

Fookinwot Sun 15-Sep-19 16:06:50

Just scream at him “STOP FUCKING WHINING!” then say “thanks very much” in a sweet voice and eye ball him like a loon. He won’t come back again.

IfIShouldFallFromGraceWithGod Sun 15-Sep-19 16:07:39

I'd have a short, curt response to every moan. There is nothing to be gained by being nice
Nothing to do with you, our choice

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sun 15-Sep-19 16:09:34

If you did bash him head and bury him under the patio, @BanKittenHeels, the spade would be the wrong sort for relative-bashing, the hole would be the wrong shape, the sheet you wrapped him in would be too low thread count, and the patio surface would be the wrong sort of stone/brick.

nonevernotever Sun 15-Sep-19 16:10:32

!!! My bil stayed for 5 days last week. He did not voice one word of complaint, was helpful, polite and a pleasure to have around. I bet he'd help me Bury yours for you while you and your dh very clearly have an excellent alibi somewhere else.

Inertia Sun 15-Sep-19 16:10:34

You must have the patience of a saint.

I'd be printing out several copies of a list of local hotels. Or go round all your neighbours, and see whether they have Yellow Pages that you can tear the hotels page from. Every time he moans, present him withe list.

I'm struggling to get beyond the sheer gall of someone moaning that you hadn't cleaned his own hair out of his own shower- total lack of respect. Not sure I could give house room to someone who treated me like their slave (unless they were under 2yo and I'd given birth to them myself).

Bookworm4 Sun 15-Sep-19 16:10:57

I can’t believe he has a wife? Is she deaf?
I hope she has him well insured as he may end up under a patio.

Sparklesocks Sun 15-Sep-19 16:10:59

When he leaves you should tell him ‘sorry you didn’t enjoy your time with us, I know it was difficult for you’

Taswama Sun 15-Sep-19 16:11:18

I hope he’s going home soon for your sake. Has no one ever told him ‘if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all’ ?

MatildaTheCat Sun 15-Sep-19 16:11:19

“If you can’t say anything nice it’s best to say nothing at all. So let’s enjoy some lovely silence.”

I don’t know how you haven’t lost the plot. I would show him your it’s and explain he will be happier if he doesn’t stay in your unsatisfactory home again.

MatildaTheCat Sun 15-Sep-19 16:11:40

Your list, that should say.

CharityConundrum Sun 15-Sep-19 16:11:50

This sounds like a challenge - write down a few slightly obscure subjects on pieces of paper and you and your husband (and kids if they are old enough) all pick one and try to predict what his problem will be with it. Then you bring it up and let him go and see who gets closest to your predictions. Whether or not you tell him about this afterwards is up to you - you could go meta and predict what he would complain about concerning the game itself!

Taswama Sun 15-Sep-19 16:11:53

Snap @MatildaTheCat

RainingFrogsAndHats Sun 15-Sep-19 16:11:54

But isn't this one of those situations when you look at him and think "thank god I live in my head and not in yours"????

When's he leaving? Keep strong, drink wine by the bucket-full.

Celebrate when he goes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »