Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask for the most "WTF" complaints

(533 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

HouseholdPlantMurderer Sat 17-Aug-19 10:49:19

You have ever received?

I will start. Not the most ridiculous one, but in my top 10.
Woman demanding that I check in the back for a certain colour of a dress she wanted otherwise she will have me fired. After 5 minutes of her moaning she can't get it anywhere and me trying to explain that it's because it's not even made in the colour she wants, I went. I needed a toilet anyway 🙈

A customer ordered spicy italian sub. It's on a picture. It has a description there, he watched me to put pepperoni and salami in. Came back few minutes later FUMING that it's not vegetarian.... Sent a complaint to a head office about it too.

Lanurk Thu 22-Aug-19 08:12:23

I work for a housing association taking emergency housing repairs calls out of hours. Some of the low high points include:

Being told they hope I died because I wouldn’t send someone out to look at their tv ariel. At half 8 at night. On Boxing Day. In the rain. SHe got her mum to call back and she tried the sympathy card, “but there’s 3 kids in there. What are they supposed to do with no tv?”.

A man phoned in with no water supply. Called the water board and they confirmed there was a burst pipe. Called him back and he demanded I personally come to his house to deliver him bottled water. When I explained I couldn’t he wrote a formal complaint about the fact that I was clearly racist and ableist as he was welsh and uses a cane (I didn’t know he had one!)

When I worked for a Scottish council I took a call from a local councillor in the middle of winter demanding I get the gritters out to grit his street. I explained it wasn’t possible as they were out doing the main roads and once they were satisfactorily gritted they’d move on to smaller roads. He then played the “do you know who I am” card and threatened my job. He demanded a supervisor when I responded that he was mr _ and that he lived on bla street and that all calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes. Apparently he called me an impudent upstart in his complaint. My boss made a complaint against him for threatening a member of staff with unemployment if they didn’t break the rules for him. One of us got reprimanded by the head of the council and it wasn’t me halo

Bored40 Thu 22-Aug-19 08:43:51

When I was 17, and looked about 12, I worked stacking shelves in my local supermarket in the evenings. One evening I was working on the chilled aisles i had a complaint from a customer because I couldn't tell them a recipe for a piece of fish that they were thinking of buying. At that stage in my life I was just about capable of making a sandwich.

RiftGibbon Thu 22-Aug-19 08:57:39

Working in a university library several decades ago...
A student came up to the counter, "Have you got any books about the exhibition?"
I asked which one (there were a few on in the Uni, and lots on in the big city we were in.
"The one that's on now"
I asked if she knew what it was about.
"No. But it's really good."
Did she know how long the exhibition might be on for, even roughly?(With no name or subject it was going to be challenging, but if I knew dates I could possibly narrow it down.
"No. It's on now. Surely you know."
I asked if she knew who it was that was exhibiting.
"I don't know his name!"
She got really snappy with me when I politely pointed out that we covered 6 major subjects, that out library held several thousand books, and that the information she had wouldn't narrow it down.

0hT00dles Thu 22-Aug-19 10:17:45

A parent once complained about the time I caught her son cheating in an exam. She ranted at me for about 30 minutes about how 'nowhere did it say that he couldn't write the answers on his arm.' She complained to the head teacher.

Headteacher then claimed I was the first teacher in 20 years to catch students cheating and told me off.

And another time, a student handed in work obviously written by several different people. I was told to just give him a good grade and stop complaining.

Then there was the time 2 parents of a student said they'd come after me for chastising their son.

Left teaching after that.

A few years later I was doing preliminary telephone interviews for a job in my office. One of the key things we needed was people who were basically good at getting info across quickly and being polite on the phone and in person, and having excellent attention to detail. I interviewed one girl who was so rude when I asked her any questions in relation to her work history and why she wanted to work for us. She emailed in a complaint about me (but gave a completely random name) and started slating the company. Not exactly what we wanted and was so stupid.

FrowningFlamingo Thu 22-Aug-19 10:41:51

@MrsCrunchy I work in an area where a lot of the patients have quite disordered lives so I make allowances for lateness and tend to see people on a slightly complicated system of mostly first come first served basis with some tweaks to make sure on-time people aren’t seen late. The number of times I’ve called someone in early as my patient isn’t there and is unlikely to be any time soon and they’ve complained they don’t have enough time to read their book grin
It’s mostly lighthearted but not always! I usually tell them they’re more than welcome to sit in the waiting room afterwards instead!

Burlea Fri 23-Aug-19 13:17:24

I worked for a catalogue retailer, customer wrote to the Managing Director that I didn't offer a carrier bag to HIDE the present she bought her DIL. It was an Ironing Board.

EverTheConundrum Fri 23-Aug-19 20:01:07

@fluffiny31 Oat?! Typo?!

Idontlikethatship Fri 23-Aug-19 20:19:50

@user1486131602. Can’t think why you divorced him grin

prognos1s Fri 23-Aug-19 20:31:23

Work on a fair ground for one of my jobs. People are rude all day every day and have heard it over and over again. Had a woman scream at me when her child was too small to go on a ride and tell me that I'd let him on earlier that day even though I'd just got there. And she specifically remembered it was me because of my rank yellow hair. I had literally swapped shifts with a short haired boy 15 minutes earlier who had been on since opening

EverTheConundrum Fri 23-Aug-19 20:35:14

@Madcatgirl shockshockshock PLEEEEEASE tell me he got a response correcting him?

cricketmum84 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:39:57

Ex vet nurse here. I had a complaint put in about me because I advised a client about the cost of an emergency night time call out when they called about their very ill dog.

Apparently I was putting money above their dogs health. Nope, I was advising you of the cost (over £200) before it was incurred.

MissConductUS Fri 23-Aug-19 22:40:41

Nope, I was advising you of the cost (over £200) before it was incurred.

Because they don't pay for it at the point of service people have no idea about the cost of medical care, so can be a bit astonished that veterinary care can't be provided for free or some token fee.

Our vet gives us a written price for any care needed beyond a routine checkup and we have to initial it before they provide the care. It's perfectly understandable that they require this.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Fri 23-Aug-19 22:55:55

Many years ago i worked in a building society

I received a letter from a customer saying that as her mortgage was so small could she just insure one room in her house rather than the entire property

😳

I very carefully drafted a letter explaining that it wouldn’t be possible, and even if it was it wasn’t the best idea not to insure your property. I had it checked by two managers just in case I’d been sarky, or flippant or rude. Letter was fine and off it went

A few days later the managers were in a group opening the mail...much hilarity, aimed in my direction

Eventually they gave me a letter, from the customer. Apparently i had contravened a few laws and the judge was going to get the police and have me put in jail...she wasnt happy to say the least

For weeks everytime a siren went outside colleagues would go ‘the police are coming for you rufus’ ha bloody ha hmm

pippop1317 Sat 24-Aug-19 09:35:57

I once received an invitation for a 40th wedding anniversary that wasn't for me. I had no idea who the people were or who it was originally sent to, but it was my address.
I did the polite thing and texted the rsvp number and said that the invite was sent to the wrong address. But I wanted to let them know so they could contact the original person in some other way. They never responded.
About a month later the lady who it was originally for turned up at my door and asked for the invite. I told her what I'd done and put in the bin a month ago! She was absolutely fuming.
But she must have been in contact with the people to know where the invite was. Why she'd expect me to keep an invite that wasn't for me for a month is beyond me!

PlinketyPlinketyPlonk Sat 24-Aug-19 12:24:22

Ex-pat taxi driver in Spain. Ranted on about his move to Spain because he was "sick of all the bloody foreigners moving to England and taking over!"

He was living in a part of Alicante where the English, Irish and Germans have more or less taken over.

Me & DH were a bit hmm

PlinketyPlinketyPlonk Sat 24-Aug-19 12:39:59

Another, while I was working for a housing association, a woman complained aggressively to US that police had carried out a drugs raid on her house and demanded we replaced her smashed-in door.

When I asked if the police had seized any drugs from her property she replied incredulously "well yeah, obviously, my boyfriend's a dealer ain't he!"

She was apoplectic when I refused to have her door replaced for free and she was further confused and enraged when I politely advised its probably not the best idea to admit to your housing association that you're using their property to deal drugs from and I'd now be contacting police for a crime reference and would have to report the matter to my superiors. She screamed a string of expletives at me, still demanding it was my "fucking job you fucking jobsworth!!" to send someone round to put on her "new fucking door, cunt!" and that he boyfriends drug dealing venture was none of my "fucking business!"

She was evicted and taken to court for the cost of the damaged door, along with many other damages to the property.

She should have just kept her mouth shut.

HipHipHippo Sat 24-Aug-19 15:59:23

I'm seriously counting my blessings that I've never had to deal with complaints like this!!

tierraJ Sat 24-Aug-19 16:10:07

One of my patients complained about the noise.... from the seagulls outside!!

When we said we couldn't do anything about it she suggested shooting them!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 24-Aug-19 16:16:31

Pretty sure sea gulls are protected species....

beccarocksbaby Sat 24-Aug-19 16:25:57

I worked in customer service ^too long^ before changing careers and I still have some favs.

Being called a bastard fucking cowboy cunt because I wouldn't send a gas engineer back to a customer who had missed his 3rd appt in a row. I offered to rebook but he wanted them to go back that day. It was a contractor who was fully booked and totally wasn't going to happen.

Also at gas and electric company repeatedly being told it's my fault that a direct debit that they chose to set at X amount doesn't cover their usage. The presumption that you pay a fixed fee and use what you want is rife and people cannot be persuaded otherwise. I'm sympathetic when the company has set them but then equally if a company suggests £30 and you agree despite having a 5 bed townhouse and a pool you're a moron.

One man complained that we were sending his mother bills because she is in numerate and illegitimate 😂 he hasn't registered her with our special service team and I wasn't sure how we were supposed to know but mostly had no idea how her parentage affected this.

PS call centre workers are not putting company profits in their pockets in the hundreds of thousands, it's really not their fault you don't read your bills/statements.

Working for the railway service SE trains and TFL really was the biggest eye opener to what utter assholes the British public can be. I worked there during the 7/7 bombings and the complaints afterwards were insane.

- I was evacuated from London Dungeons and this was very disappointing for me and my friends, I want new tickets (cause they got them on offer through the train service.)

- trains didn't run on schedule that day - yes because all services were asked to run people out of London by emergency services so literally all services were just running as many services out of the city as they could. It was chaos and people were REPEATEDLY leaving luggage unattended causing so many security problems and therefore delays.

- the tube wasn't running and a lot of buses weren't this was terribly inconvenient

- you did a controlled explosion on my gym kit - no actually the police did because you left a fitness first bag on a train the week after the bombings (fitness first bags were used as devices during the bombings)

Outside of major terrorist events the most frequent were people SCREAMING down the phone that their service was delayed by a suicide, there is a procedure and it's not flexible. Police and coroner have to clear the scene. I remember once a teenage boy was killed on a crossing and it was a questionable death. It was closed for about 10 hours and single track literally nothing we could do. People were apoplectic about how inconvenienced they were even after we explained a child had died in suspicious circumstances and we genuinely couldn't move the train as it was a crime scene.

I left not long after 7/7. I remember the Penzance to Paddington train crash and that was a terrible terrible day. I didn't work First services but people were in tears all day because people on the train that crashed were calling as the customer service number is on the inside of the train and they were dying and seriously injured on the phone. People did their best but no one was trained for that.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Sat 24-Aug-19 16:27:38

Oh thats just awful becca

sueelleker Sat 24-Aug-19 17:21:45

beccarocksbaby; I presume he meant illiterate?

QualCheckBot Sat 24-Aug-19 17:24:48

Oh and I used to work as a letting agent and my very favourite complaint ever was from the parents of a student tenant who was too cold. Her flat has generous radiators powered by gas central heating and was double glazed with a C EPC - very efficient for that age of property. Oh and it was in Edinburgh. In winter. There was snow outside.

Tenant just didn't use the GCH much to save money on bills. Quite what they expected me to do I do not know.

Apparantly this was all the fault of the landlord.

I've also had lots of complaints from tenants about the central heating not working, when they have switched it off and not realised.

Lots of tenants break things, often new things, and then complain that the X is broken.

beccarocksbaby Sat 24-Aug-19 18:57:28

Well yes @sueelleker but when someone attacks you with indignant rage using entirely the wrong word it does raise a snigger.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 24-Aug-19 19:11:57

- I was evacuated from London Dungeons and this was very disappointing for me and my friends, I want new tickets (cause they got them on offer through the train service.)

I don’t understand the problem here. Why wouldn’t you send them new tickets?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »