Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask for the most "WTF" complaints

(519 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

HouseholdPlantMurderer Sat 17-Aug-19 10:49:19

You have ever received?

I will start. Not the most ridiculous one, but in my top 10.
Woman demanding that I check in the back for a certain colour of a dress she wanted otherwise she will have me fired. After 5 minutes of her moaning she can't get it anywhere and me trying to explain that it's because it's not even made in the colour she wants, I went. I needed a toilet anyway 🙈

A customer ordered spicy italian sub. It's on a picture. It has a description there, he watched me to put pepperoni and salami in. Came back few minutes later FUMING that it's not vegetarian.... Sent a complaint to a head office about it too.

Soubriquet Sat 17-Aug-19 11:02:24

I think it’s a well known fact that employees will sit out the back for a few minutes to “look” after explicitly telling the customer it is OUT of stock and then refusing to listen.

I know I’ve done it grin

DisplayPurposesOnly Sat 17-Aug-19 11:09:58

A previous guest on a walking safari (in Africa) couldn't cope with animal droppings, so the safari guides had to clear the path ahead.

AnnaMagnani Sat 17-Aug-19 11:12:17

Patient complained he couldn't sleep overnight as all the staff were having a party.

Ward manager checked the time he had helpfully written in his complaint - all staff were actually dealing with a cardiac arrest in the bed next to his.

She enjoyed writing the response to that complaint.

whifflesqueak Sat 17-Aug-19 11:14:27

I had a man complain about music (quiet and tasteful) playing inside the pub. He was actually sitting outside and definitely could t have heard it.

“I really think you should consider that some people don’t like music.”

I did. I considered that you are a curmudgeonly minority and discounted your opinion.

He was also wearing a spectacularly thick woollen jumper on a blistering hot day.

goodwinter Sat 17-Aug-19 11:15:18

My favourite one was when I was working at Spoons. Some guy ordered a curry and managed to get an oily stain on his white shirt from eating poppadoms. He then complained to me and demanded we pay his dry cleaning bill.

MonstranceClock Sat 17-Aug-19 11:20:30

The woman who came to cornwall and complained that the sand was wet grin that one made the news!

Spam88 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:20:30

Similar to above - I was working in a baguette cafe and a woman ordered a something and roasted veg baguette. She was absolutely furious when she dripped oil on her top. Kicked up a right fuss and demanded we pay for her dry cleaning, because the menu hadn't said the roasted vegetable were cooked in oil 🤔

Buildalegohouse Sat 17-Aug-19 11:21:05

A parent complained that they had seen me eating at McDonalds because we are a healthy school and it sets the wrong example. It was the summer holidays and they were in there too!

A parent complained that their child had seen me in a swimming costume at a leisure centre in the holidays. I was there with my children and I had purposefully gone to one in a different town to avoid seeing kids from school (and their parents!) 🙄

DrDreReturns Sat 17-Aug-19 11:24:00

I used to work in a cinema. We would get parents complaining when we refused admission because their kids were obviously too young for the film. Apparently it was all my fault...

Soubriquet Sat 17-Aug-19 11:31:29

Oh that I remember reading about the person who went to Spain and complained that too many people spoke Spanish confused

PositiveVibez Sat 17-Aug-19 11:32:11

I used to arrange conferences which were completely free for social housing tenants to attend.

We ran workshops which were facilitated by sector experts, had housing ministers as guest speakers etc.

On the feedback forms all people did was comment on the food. It drove me mad.

After attending the free conference, receiving free travel, attending interesting workshops etc, one lady's only comment on the feedback form, was that the pork needed tenderising 😠

elf1985 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:35:03

I worked in a bank. It was my fault a customer was overdrawn, i was an arse, I didn't understand how difficult it was living on benefits, I didn't understand how difficult his life was. My boss happily pointed out how he had spent £400 in game that week.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 17-Aug-19 11:36:21

My sister worked in a homewares shop years ago and a woman came in looking for cream towels. She said ‘How many shades do you have in these ones?’ My sister starting listing ‘We’ve got them in yellow, blue, pink...’

The woman cut her off and said ‘No no NO! How many shades of cream do you have?’

Weirdly enough, just the one. Cream.

Monst3ra Sat 17-Aug-19 11:37:09

I worked in Laura Ashley and the level of unreasonable from customers there exceed anywhere else I've worked.

One customer was redecorating her extended dining room and came in requesting wallpaper she had used for the original part 15 or so years ago. It was discontinued. After searching through past catalogues, finding the details and checking stock in other stores in case they had the odd roll still lurking at the back of a stock room, I explained that we were unable to match her current wallpaper in the room. She was outraged! She actually flounced and on leaving said 'you shops- you're all just out to make money!'

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 17-Aug-19 11:37:48

A parent complained that their child had seen me in a swimming costume at a leisure centre in the holidays.

Well, it is a bizarre outfit choice for swimming...

BertyFlanter Sat 17-Aug-19 11:39:26

I was once charged with moving our offices from a town centre location to purpose built offices on an out of town business estate.
On day one I received a fuming phone call from someone who had seen some road kill on the country road on the way to work. She wanted me to ensure it wasn't there on her way home 🙄 I still to this day don't know 1) why she thought it was a legitimate complaint or 2) what she thought I could/would do about it!

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 17-Aug-19 11:41:46

'you shops- you're all just out to make money!'

grin

Chanteuse Sat 17-Aug-19 11:43:46

When I worked at a restaurant a guy ordered a pizza which I brought over. When I went back to check he had a face like thunder and said "this ketchup is broken". I laughed at first but when I realised he was serious I poured some into a pot (he just couldn't get it out) and he demanded a refund because "how could I expect him to eat the pizza cold and with no ketchup"

At the same restaurant a group of middle aged woken wrote a trip advisor review calling me a bully because I wouldn't refund their 3/4 finished meals because they "didn't like them"

KitKat1985 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:45:55

A customer in a café I worked in ordered the 4-cheese pasta and sent it back because it was too cheesy.

VeniVidiVoxi Sat 17-Aug-19 11:49:09

Ohhh too many stories of people just not thinking before having a rant. One customer was incensed that we "no longer" stocked the product she bought from a competitor (a product we had never sold), thought we were holding our on her. Another called to say a product was faulty and wanted a refund as was her right, but again hadn't actually bought it from us and couldn't understand why we wouldn't refund. Many customers call and say they'll have what they had last time... 5 years since their last order. Quite sweetly lots of customers call and say "it's Sarah..." as if we only have a handful of people that somehow miraculously maintain our staff of 8. I don't mind those so much, it must mean we sound friendly.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 17-Aug-19 11:49:10

I forgot the woman who rang my office thinking it was the beds department of the Co-Op. I said she had the wrong number and got ‘Well this is the number they gave me!’ I said she must have misdialled or written it down wrongly as we were a printing company. ‘So what is the number then?’ she says in exasperation. Do I look like Directory sodding Enquiries love?!

I’ve also just remembered someone who phoned a catalogue company I worked for demanding a refund for an item he’d bought at a trade fair. I said I would have to look into it as, as far as I knew, we didn’t sell through trade fairs. He said ‘Oh, I don’t know who was running the stand - but you sell [item] don’t you? You can sort my refund out’. He got very stroppy when I said no, I couldn’t refund him for something he’d bought from another company.

maddiemookins16mum Sat 17-Aug-19 11:50:08

Ex Holiday Rep here.

Too hot.
Too many foreigners.
Couldn’t get ‘proper’ bacon (in Egypt)
Lemons had too many pips.
The room maids never did their laundry (they’d left it soaking in the bidet)
The Chef on the show cooking counter did not smile.
They drive on the wrong side of the road.
And my personal favourite.......they don’t sell Lilletts tampons (in Goa).

JapaneseBirdPainting Sat 17-Aug-19 11:50:32

I used to work on a checkout, and once broke my arm. Cast and everything. Doing everything one-handed. Customer complained I was slow and lazy.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:51:39

Dh had a customer moan they’d be charged for the damage to a car where the dogs had eaten the entire back seat.

Apparently they had no idea that wasn’t reasonable wear & tear.

Then they complained it had ruined their experience of picking up a new car, presumably to be used as a giant doggy snack.

Batshit.

Loveislandaddict Sat 17-Aug-19 11:51:42

@Soubriquet me too!

pinkcardi Sat 17-Aug-19 11:51:57

I once had a very angry American demand a refund because the Viking Centre in which I worked didn't have a Roman section.

I tried to explain that they weren't the same, around at different times, but he was livid.

FiveFarthings Sat 17-Aug-19 11:53:12

Not happened to me but there was one in the news recently that a family tried to invoice the air/sea rescue service for the destruction of their lilo after their small child was swept out to sea and subsequently rescued by helicopter (the rescue team had burst the lilo).

Apparently they responded that they would happily deduct the £7 cost of the lilo from the £7,000 cost of the rescue! Funnily enough I don’t think the family pursued reimbursement after that response!

JoxerGoesToStuttgart Sat 17-Aug-19 11:57:28

But so much a complaint but CFery.

Customer told a tale of woe about how she couldn’t find a decent cordless hoover, had spent a fortune blah blah blah, had heard great things about one that we stocked and asked if she could give it a quick look over to see how sturdy it felt. Sure, opened the box for her she felt the weight etc, next thing she’s stuck the battery in it and is taking off up the shop floor hoovering with it! I went after her and said she wasn’t actually supposed to do that. She said “it’s ok, I’m going to buy it anyway.” Great, rang it through the till. She says “what about the discount?” Me: “what discount?” Her: “well it’s ex display so there should be a discount” me: “oh no, this one was y a display item” her: “well it’s been used, it’s full of dirt” hmm me: “yes, because you’ve just used it” her: “well you can’t sell it to anyone for full price now so you might as well give me the discount”. She fucking got the discount the Jammy cow. grin

Skinnychip Sat 17-Aug-19 12:01:24

my inlaws send a complaint letter to a restaurant because they ordered a fish finger sandwich and when it came ......it was fish fingers in between 2 slices of doorstep bread! (well who'da thought?? confused) Apparently, it didn't say on the menu it was a bread sandwich, and they had a roll with their soup so there was far too much bread!!

Soubriquet Sat 17-Aug-19 12:04:43

@JoxerGoesToStuttgart

shockgrin

Gotta give it to her though!!

AngelasAshes Sat 17-Aug-19 12:05:18

“I had a man complain about music (quiet and tasteful) playing inside the pub. He was actually sitting outside and definitely could t have heard it.

“I really think you should consider that some people don’t like music.”

I did. I considered that you are a curmudgeonly minority and discounted your opinion. ”

Er, he was probably sitting outside because he has sound intolerance and could not sit inside with the music on. I have this (shell shock caused), and I have to ask doctors offices and such to turn off radios or TVs inside. If they do not or cannot, I HAVE to go wait outside. I can’t even go to a cinema or shopping centre because of this. I just wanted to make you aware of this condition, because an unreasonable complainer would have stayed inside the pub with the music. Only someone who truly needed the quiet would have then had to go sit outside. It’s very isolating to feel excluded from spaces all because people think not doing well with music is a choice rather than a need.

ScreamingValenta Sat 17-Aug-19 12:06:01

it didn't say on the menu it was a bread sandwich

grin grin grin

I wonder what they were expecting their fish fingers to be sandwiched by?

shitwithsugaron Sat 17-Aug-19 12:07:02

Work in a supermarket, a man complained that he'd bought some cherry bakewells, when he opened them the cherries weren't dead centre and it affected the taste hmm

Ginkypig Sat 17-Aug-19 12:07:41

I had someone in to interview. for a very clearly described role She had a counselling background and while that is great in terms of skill that was not the role she was interviewing for (support worker, so also needs to be able to offer practical support as well as emotional support)

She answered questions solely as if she were interviewing for a counselling job ignoring half of the job spec so we explained the role again in the hope of getting some more relevant details in the answers.

She replied well yes but you could change the organisation to fit my skills though I am after all a trained counsellor!

Eh no we have a counselling service already we are recruiting for the support work service!

Witchend Sat 17-Aug-19 12:07:48

I was called a liar a couple of weeks ago by someone on the telephone cold calling work.
He asked (with a fairly strong accent) if he could speak to the owner of the business about the electricity.
I explained (politely) that we are a church, so we don't have an "owner of the business" and the people that deal with the electricity contracts are volunteers and aren't available at that time.
He responded with he knew we weren't a church and could I put him through to the owner.
I suggested that he probably had got the wrong number if he didn't think he was calling a church-"St Paul's Church" is a kind of giveaway.
This continued for some time until he said. "Madam, you are a liar. I am standing outside and I can see it isn't a church."
So I said "That's great, if you come in through the main doors, you'll see the reception straight ahead and I will show you round the church. I look forward to seeing you in 5 minutes."
Surprisingly he didn't come. grin

SirJamesTalbot Sat 17-Aug-19 12:08:06

I once received a phone call from someone telling me that the river was a funny colour. I was covering reception for a high-end wallpaper company which didn't even manufacture the paper in this country; it was an office and warehouse. I'm still not sure what they wanted me to do.

Another time I had an email complaining tbatbthe phones weren't ringing (thrre was an outage). I replied explaining anf apologising, then offered to pass on a message to the relevant dept if they could advise me which one they wanted. Back cane the response "oh, can't I ring you then?". hmm.

PivotPivotPivottt Sat 17-Aug-19 12:13:32

Used to work in a cafe that done a 2 course meal for £6.00. It stated clearly on the menu EXCLUDING drinks. Customer comes to pay and asks why I'm charging for drinks, I tell her drinks are not part of the offer. She says well it says on the menu drinks. I point out it says excluding drinks. She complains we really should make it more clear and looks at me as if I'm stupid confused.

I'm sure there's more but that one always sticks out for me. Almost as annoying as the customers who would ask for a drink of juice or a roll and when you asked what kind would look at you as you had two heads and answer in a tone that suggests you are an imbecile for not knowinghmm.

SirJamesTalbot Sat 17-Aug-19 12:14:12

I did also hear a sarcastic Beefeater at the Tower of London explain to someone with a buggy that William the Conquerer has forgotten to order lifts installed when it had been built 1,000 years ago so they'd have to leave their buggy at the bottom.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 17-Aug-19 12:16:51

That reminds of the story of the American diplomat who asked why the Queen has built Windsor Castle so close to Heathrow instead of somewhere quieter grin Probably apocryphal, but I really hope it’s true!

nononever Sat 17-Aug-19 12:20:00

I was checking reviews for a luxury hotel and someone gave it a one star because someone touched her leg on a snorkelling trip arranged by the hotel. Anyone who has ever been on a group snorkelling trip will tell you she's lucky it wasn't a kick in the face.

Ilikewinter Sat 17-Aug-19 12:20:14

Last night my colleague served a lady and she left, returned few minutes later, jumped the queue and shouted why are you ripping me off, why are you racist....colleague was a bit shocked, im the manager on duty so asked what the problem was, she said she was short changed, she spent £4.65 and you only gave me 35p change (as she slames it on the counter), i asked how much did she give colleague and she said £5.00...still going on about ripping her off and colleague is racist......i said yes £5.00 minus £4.65 is 35p....you could see the penny drop and I asked her for an apology!

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 17-Aug-19 12:21:38

Angelasashes
I agree. I get sensory overload with music or a lot of noise. I only a very finite amount of energy due to having ME and noise can make me “crash” ie have to collapse on the ground or a sofa if close enough. Someone shouting in / near my ear or similar sound can have the same effect especially if it is high pitched. Idiots, who insist on clapping incredibly loudly to create an echo also cause it.

nancy75 Sat 17-Aug-19 12:22:05

Woman that went absolutely mad because I wouldn’t give her a refund on a hat she bought in Debenhams - I worked in Apparently a hat is a hat & I should have just given her the money, why should she go all the way to another shop blah blah blah. Debenhams was opposite the shop I was working in, no more than a 30 second walk.

cavalier Sat 17-Aug-19 12:23:10

I don’t know if my boss was winding me up but she said she’d had a complaint that when a (nasty piece of work ) customer was rude to me on phone I ended the conversation by saying
“ have a lovely day “ .... not sure if boss was lying or it happened but .... none so queer as folk as the old saying goes 🙄

nancy75 Sat 17-Aug-19 12:23:12

The missing bit says I worked in Accessorize!

Zaphodsotherhead Sat 17-Aug-19 12:24:34

I had a man just the other day, ask me to check and pay on his scratchcard and lottery tickets.

The scratchcard wasn't a winner. It's all automated, we scan the bar code, input the four digit number and the machine tells us how much you've won, there's no way to fiddle it. I told the man it wasn't a winner.

He kept pointing to the box that said something about 'scratch off one bag and win a tenner'. He'd scratched off one bag. But the card wasn't a winner (I've no idea why I didn't have time to read the small print that probably said you had to scratch off one bag and match it with some other obscure symbol somewhere). He tried to insist, I ran it through the machine again - still not a winner.

So he insisted on having it back, plus his non-winning lottery tickets, to take somewhere else to get his winnings...

I'd love to have seen his face when that machine wouldn't pay out either.

Nonatron Sat 17-Aug-19 12:25:05

I’ve had users (it help desk) complain that their keyboard is too shiny. It worked perfectly but according to her it’s shiny-ness meant that she couldn’t use it... and another user decided to swear at me and call me a fucking idiot because I couldn’t reset her password on a system we didn’t administer...

In a previous life; I’ve had tourists complain to me because staff were speaking in welsh (their first bloody language!) to each other. According to them, they should always speak English if there were monoglot English speakers within earshot. I had great fun telling them that although they were clearly paranoid, the staff members were actually discussing someone else’s order in their native language and it had absolutely sod all to do with them and their order. Weirdly they seemed shocked that the world didn’t revolve around them...

BuzzShitbagBobbly Sat 17-Aug-19 12:25:14

I came home to a message on my answerphone reserving a table for four at 8pm. So I did the nice thing and called the lady back to let them know they'd got the wrong number.

First of all she accused me of lying; then had a go at me for not being the restaurant she'd phoned confused

Cocolapew Sat 17-Aug-19 12:28:59

DD works in a toy shop and now hates the general public grin
Last night she was helping a woman who wanted a Buzz light year outfit for her grandson.
She waslooking at an electronic helmet, it was for aged 5 and over. DD asked how old he was, the answer was nearly 3.
She explained it might be to heavy etc for him and pointed out it was for older children. She spent ages height the woman get something suitable.
The woman picked something else and was happy, chatting away and thanking by her for her help.
Still chatying away when she was paying she said to DD, it's a good job you didn't sell me that helmet because if he had been injured it would by have been your fault and I'd have got you arrested.

Cocolapew Sat 17-Aug-19 12:29:43

Sorry about typos blush

ThreadKillerSleepsInACoil Sat 17-Aug-19 12:30:35

Had a gentleman come into the fuel station where I was working to pay for his fuel. He was quite insistant he'd only put £20 in, so I explained he'd put in 20 litres, he'd been looking at the wrong display.

He huffed and puffed, and told us we should put something on the pumps to say more clearly which was which. I pointed out politely that one display was labelled 'sale in litres' and one had an inch high £ symbol, plus the words 'cost of sale' on it.

He muttered something angrily about ' like talking to the deaf, stupid cow' and stormed off.

I somehow refrained from making any comments about blind drivers.

MissConductUS Sat 17-Aug-19 12:30:39

When working at a skilled nursing facility a resident's daughter berated me because the cost of her mother's cable TV subscription had gone up by $2 per month. I explained to her that residents bought the service directly from the company and we had nothing to do with the pricing. She told me that if such a prestigious facility as ours had complained properly the company would have not raised prices for all 2 million of their customers.

When working in a hospital a woman who I'd never seen before marched up to me and called me a right c***. When I gave her a look of astonishment she told me that she had just checked with Dr. Google and if he had given her father dandelion extract he would not have died of brain cancer.

RelaisBlu Sat 17-Aug-19 12:31:13

A parent complained that their child had seen me in a swimming costume

This reminds me of a parents evening where a Dad complained in all seriousness that I was too young & pretty to be his teenage son's teacher because it distracted him and how could he be expected to learn anything?

I replied sarcastically perhaps I should wear a balaclava or put a paper bag over my head but he said no that won't help will it because what about your body?

The best bit was the look his wife gave him....

Zebraaa Sat 17-Aug-19 12:39:16

Had a lady return a product to a shop that was about ten years old and long discontinued and then furious she wouldn’t be refunded.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Sat 17-Aug-19 12:40:52

School staff too. I was reported as I was in a local pub drinking with my friends.Reported by a 16 yr old student who was in there having a drink.

supersop60 Sat 17-Aug-19 12:42:36

RelaisBlu
I was tempted to complain about the science teacher's very short dresses and bare legs, until someone pointed out she was the Headteacher's daughter.

growlingbear Sat 17-Aug-19 12:43:25

I was waitressing at a tossers' millionaires' ball when another waiter barged into me and accidentally tipped a tray of red wines all down my white blouse. I went to change and was intercepted by a millionaire telling me to get him a glass of red wine. I was dripping wet and stained red. I told him I was off to get changed. 'But get me the red wine first' he said. So I said of course and disappeared to get changed.

ExhaustedGrinch Sat 17-Aug-19 12:45:00

A man raged at me for a full 10 minutes about a manky chicken he had brought into the store saying his wife was about to cook it and it was green! He wasn't lying, it was rancid, however the label clearly said Morrisons and he'd brought it back to the wrong store.

I'd spotted it right away but allowed him to finish before I pointed it out. He left red faced and cursing his wife under his breath. grin

Sicktobloodydeath Sat 17-Aug-19 12:45:37

I work in complaints for a big company so I’ve had QUITE a few

1. We turned his yeezys from white to brown because he chose had to walk in the rain

2. I personally left his 5 year old daughter in karate Sheffield whilst he was in London because I personally wouldn’t give him taxi fair to get to Sheffield

3. A senior manager (who is gay) was flirting with this woman because he asked her martial status for a credit application

4. Another senior manager put an emoji on a text message

5. We as a company had a gay pride logo for pride month

When I say complaints - I mean these four examples were screaming bloody murder absolutely kicking off.

There’s a million examples I could give but I’m trying my hardest not to think about work whilst on maternity blush

PookieDo Sat 17-Aug-19 12:47:22

My job is answering complaints. I can’t really list them as they are quite recent (fairly new job) and they are all confidential but 99% of them are absolutely petty shitty gripes written in very aggressive BOLD CAPS letters or angry people (usually men) shouting at my staff or threatening to sue me on the phone

I sometimes despair of society, every one is always ‘fuming’ and ‘entitled to’ something in their own opinion. Where it is something we have done wrong I will always apologise but I don’t know if people realise how time consuming it is dealing with a complaint about some things. One complaint was about how a standard SMS was worded, and they were offended by it 😭

RelaisBlu Sat 17-Aug-19 12:48:42

supersop60 I was entirely respectably dressed - it was autumn so boots, jumpers etc

Roussette Sat 17-Aug-19 12:48:59

I kitted a woman out in a wedding outfit. Dress, matching jacket, shoes, hat... the lot. This woman was a bit rough (I'm being polite here) and had form in the shop.

3 weeks later she brought the whole lot back. The collar of the jacket which was white had revolting brown grease stains, the dress had food stains down it. The shoes were scuffed on the soles AND had a suede insert round the heel (I told her they were a bit big). She'd obviously worn the whole lot to the wedding.

She wanted ALL her money back. I obviously refused and told her everything had been worn. She insisted she'd only tried the shoes on back home, hadn't worn them outside and I must've stuck the suede inserts into them when she wasn't looking.

If I didn't 'pay out' she was going to get her brothers on to me, they were a large local family with a reputation. I said to her 'go on then, do what you want, but you're not getting your money back!'

She hurled abuse at me, every swear word under the sun, and grabbed the clothes and stomped out! I'm still alive grin

DeRigueurMortis Sat 17-Aug-19 12:52:29

A letter in the local paper by someone complaining about how noisy the Church Bells were on a Sunday morning and wanting to start a campaign to "ban the bells".

They'd recently moved to a house opposite a Church that had been there for over 250 years hmm.

QueenTaTe Sat 17-Aug-19 12:53:59

Someone wanted their chips replaced because they tasted too potatoey confused

IDontDrinkTea Sat 17-Aug-19 12:54:21

Not me but where I work.

After a delay, colleague said (word for word) “I’m sorry about your wait”

Complaint letter came in: “xx insulted my weight during clinic”

SpamChaudFroid Sat 17-Aug-19 12:55:56

When younger I worked in a chinese restaurant. A man got very angry while I was taking his order because there were no baked beans on the menu. "What kind of a restaurant doesn't have baked beans on the menu?!" he blustered, "A chinese one" I said, smiling smugly.

PapaShango Sat 17-Aug-19 12:57:35

A lady from my baby group asked me out for shopping and lunch, just the two of us. Didn’t really know her well but had recently moved to the area so was looking to make more friends. First and last time I went with her!

She complained in H&M that the dress she wanted didn’t look as ‘mustard yellow’ as it did online. Went to Pizza Hut and she complained loudly about the salad bar not being refilled. One section was almost empty but she didn’t even want what was in it. She tried to get out of paying for her meal as it was ‘unsatisfactory’. I was so embarrassed as she was obviously talking loud as she wanted an audience. She almost made the poor lady in Monsoon cry because she tried on a size 8 dress which didn’t fit her. She insisted it was the lady’s fault.

lastqueenofscotland Sat 17-Aug-19 12:59:24

I work in estate agency and once had someone kick off to fuck that I wouldn’t show them a house, because it wasn’t for sale, it had never been on with us, no idea who owned it he’d just walked past it and liked it.

Had someone go mental his offer wasn’t accepted, said the vendor was greedy for taking an asking price offer, and his family were nice so she should have accepted his offer.

My friend owns a pub and he has about 20 new tales of people being weapons every week

francienolan Sat 17-Aug-19 13:05:58

Oh boy I have loads from various jobs.

The worst one that stands out to me was a woman who assaulted my colleague and called us both cunts and then left a one star tripadvisor review advising we be fired because we kicked her out (it was a gig).

Many many complaints that there are children at a panto. Every year.

the number one excuse for being late to a fringe show in Edinburgh is always "the train from London was late". Offer to rebook them and the response is "I have to go back to London tonight and need to see this show now". Usually you see them in the pub later, because the whole going to London thing is bs.

MrsLinManuelMiranda Sat 17-Aug-19 13:17:48

I used to be a customer services manager in a large supermarket. Loads of people coming in to complain about products that were clearly from a rival store. One lady brought in one , yes 1 single crisp from a multi pack because it had a tiny bit of green on it( green potato not mound). I refunded her half the price of multi pack, but she demanded the whole amount, even though she had eaten 5.999 packets .

JoxerGoesToStuttgart Sat 17-Aug-19 13:21:34

Gotta give it to her though!!

Yep. I twigged on once she asked for discount and realised she’s a scammer. I refused the discount but she stamped her feet and manager authorised it.

ControversialFerret Sat 17-Aug-19 13:25:49

The man who told me he knew where my office was, and was going to wait outside for me to 'show me who's boss' when I told him that we weren't able to help him (item out of warranty by several years).

I spent two years working in retail - never again. People, on the whole, are rude arseholes and getting worse.

Lostandinsane Sat 17-Aug-19 13:26:26

When working in restaurants:

- The salad is just leaves and a dressing!
- The steak tartare is raw!
- The ceviche is raw!

RubyRubyRubyRubyAaaaah Sat 17-Aug-19 13:32:16

@ginkypig I think I interviewed her for similar!!!!?
Gleefully told us what a great counsellor she was as she’d been able in her last role to get to the underlying trauma and unpack it so they knew why the acted the way they did.
Because what vulnerable people need is some support worker, who is not part of their formal mental health support, getting them to locate their childhood trauma then pissing off leaving them with it all unpacked. I wrote RISK on the interview notes

proseccoaficionado Sat 17-Aug-19 13:32:46

I used to work in a bank:
-they can't deposit someone else's check in their account (obviously, name not matching)
-they're overdrawn and this is obviously my fault
-the interest rates for savings are too small
-the interest rates for loans are too big
-we're not open on Sundays
-internet banking is the pure devil

Zaphodsotherhead Sat 17-Aug-19 13:35:45

There was one lady who brought an item back to our shop because she'd 'got it home, looked at her receipt and realised she could get it cheaper from another shop'.

I didn't actually deal with her, a much more patient colleague did, who explained that she should have checked the prices before she left the shop (actually before she bought!) and we couldn't refund as we'd have to waste the product off as it had left the shop and we couldn't vouch for the storage conditions.

She got her refund, for goodwill purposes, but I still think my colleague was a saint not to burst out laughing in her face.

supercee Sat 17-Aug-19 13:38:03

@DeRigueurMortis that reminds me of my friend who works in a pub. The pub is in a residential street but got a load of complaints from a neighbour who moved in recently. The pub has been there for years.

ChrisPrattsFace Sat 17-Aug-19 13:39:11

Doing ovulation bloods for a ladies dog - results showed the dog had already ovulated so it was too late.
Lady tried to sue us because her dog didn’t get pregnant.
(She was offered an appointment within the hour of ringing us - so no delay in sampling or results that would suggest she COULD have got pregnant if seen any quicker)

No offence, but pet owners are so bloody difficult sometimes.

MyCatsHat Sat 17-Aug-19 13:39:20

'you shops- you're all just out to make money!' grin

My mum is generally outraged that coffee shops just want to "make money" and charge £2.50 or whatever for a cappuccino when she could make one at home for 20p!!!!! confused . She still goes, but then sits there grumbling about what a rip off it is.

With the person making her her coffee, bringing it over, taking it away, washing it up for her, and giving her a nice warm cosy room and sofa to sit on, AND having to actually you know, survive and pay their own bills. These arguments make no difference. She considers herself highly intelligent too!

MyCatsHat Sat 17-Aug-19 13:42:39

I do also have a WTF one from the customer's POV though. I bought some ankle boots in Hobbs (ages ago to be fair, they may have improved) and the strap fell off THE NEXT DAY. Took them back for a replacement or refund, and the assistant said (in a kind of "duh you moron" way), "These are fashion shoes, they're not supposed to be worn all the time!" WTF!

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 17-Aug-19 13:44:17

I live near a ruin of a Roman Fort and Amphitheatre. It’s beautiful and peaceful and the site has lots of history information including an audio tour. There’s the remains of the huge stone walls that enclosed the fortress and the very deep and steep concentric moat defences. Really interesting and nice place to have a peaceful walk with the dogs. There’s no getting away from the fact that it is a ‘ruin’, like a lot of Roman sites obviously. Not apparently obvious to the tripadvisor reviewer who complained that it was ‘boring, there’s nothing here, all the walls are falling down and they’ve just left the bricks lying around. Needs tidying. Oh and the grass hadn’t been cut.’hmm

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Sat 17-Aug-19 13:46:18

All of my best/worst ones are from eBay.
- customer buys some darning mushrooms with painted tops (to look like toadstools). Returns them because the dots on the top are the wrong size.
- customer complains that only half of her order arrived. I can't tell you how difficult it was to explain to her that she had placed two separate order with two different sellers and I couldn't send her an item which I do not sell.
-customer moans loudly that their order didn't arrive. Asked him to confirm the address and it turns out that the address he gave was years out of date. This was my fault apparently and I did it on purpose.
-customer moans because while she was very pleased with her order, I had failed to find her a "gentleman friend" in my area as requested. I am a haberdasher, not a matchmaker!
I did once work in a café and got punched in the face because there was a power cut and we had to close, but I've found that people are much ruder and more aggressive when they don't have to look you in the face.

nedtherobbot Sat 17-Aug-19 13:56:10

At the nursery I worked at we had a parent complain about the continuity of staff in their child's room, whoever worked in that room seemed to regularly struck down with d and v. It was something we were really concened about, despite repeated deep cleaning it was still happening apprently striking the adults more than the children. The manager couldn't work out why it was happening, the excluaion period for staff once symptoms had stopped was extended to 72 hours to make sure we weren't passing bugs between ourselves meaning staff from other rooms were covering a lot and our regular bank staff were in more than normal too all whom seemed to get sick too.

One morning I heard one of the youngest members of staff being laided into by this parent. The previous day their child had vomited repeatedly after lunch and was clearly very unwell. She had asked if the parent needed anything of the child's and offered to get it from their room as we couldn't allow the child in after being sick. The parent had come in early and was expecting to leave their child as they had work to make up from the afternoon they had missed at work the day before. I went out and reiterated that we had a 48 hour exclusion policy so we couldn't accept the child until Monday if they were symptom free all weekend. The parent insisted that they always brought their child in as soon as vomiting stopped and that I should phone the manager to clarify as I was clearly wrong. I phoned the manager who was off sick having been covering in the room a couple of days previously. We both agreed that we had found the source of the nursery's staff sickness problem. I spoke to the parent again pointing out their child still looked unwell and was much better off at home, for the parent to respond that it was fine because they knew we gave the child lots of cuddles if they didn't feel right and they would be just as happy with us. Sorry still can't care for your child today see you next week and the manager will phone you as soon as she is well enough to do so.

The original complaint the parent made was eventually followed by a written apology from the parent following a long conversation with the manager and the school nurse. The staff sick leave maricolusly leveled off once we stopped regularly stopped cuddling a child who wasn't feeling quite themselves hours after they stopped vomiting.

My sister used to work for a very small luxury holiday site. They had a couple stay with them who was house hunting in the 'local' area. South West apprently is the local area the house they had booked to veiw were a good three to four hours drive from the holiday site with no direct route to them. They had stayed before and always loved the site so knew what to expect and where it was positioned. They had booked for a week for their house hunt.
The first night of their stay my sister's husband who was on call for mantinece that night got a phone call to say their unit was squeeking. He goes out to investigate. There was a squeeking sound like nothing he had heard before. It happened that a better unit was free for the first part of their stay so he gets the keys to move them. It had a better view, hot tub and more space. But they refused to move and insist he sort out the random sqeeking sound there and then. He does what he can but concludes it is not a problem he can solve in the dark and was disturbing the units on either side too much. Again offers to move all their things for them and to set them up with a complimentary bottle of champagne for the trouble. They refuse to move and say they will make the best of it. He leaves them to it but says to call again if they change their minds and want to be moved to the other unit.
The following morning my sister comes in for her shift to find they've left a furrious not on the reception door demanding a full refund and left to go home. She passes it to head office who authorised the full refund. The unit is throught checked over inside and out and no source for the squeeking is found. Two staff members spend the night to ensure it wasn't something that just happened at night, it's nothing. The unit is let a couple of days after they leave with no further complaints.
A new complaint then lands on my sister's desk from the couple asking for their petrol costs to be refunded as they had had to cancel viewings due to having no sleep and additional compencation for potentially having missed out on their dream house. My sister was glad to be able to pass the request over to the regional manager. The review they eventually left is amusing reading. They didn't get any additional compensation, other than a bottle of bubbles next time they stayed at b one of the sites.

StillCoughingandLaughing Sat 17-Aug-19 14:04:37

*-the interest rates for savings are too small
-the interest rates for loans are too big
-we're not open on Sundays*

But unless the interest rate on the account tracks the base rate, surely this IS within the bank’s control? As is its opening hours? Obviously not your personal control, but it’s hardly unreasonable to expect a customer-facing employee to pass on feedback.

JapaneseBirdPainting Sat 17-Aug-19 14:07:53

IDon;tDrink that reminds me of when a client rang us to say her son had died (we were executors) and I said to her ;I am very sorry for your loss' and then she made multiple complaints (ultimately to the Legal Ombudsman) saying that she did niot know how we knew her son had died (Um- she had told us) and that we had implied he had committed suicide.

It was bonkers but terribly sad, because she had clearly lost her reason.

Monsteres Sat 17-Aug-19 14:16:32

My old local pub had a complaint put in by an American group after their GAMMON wasn't beef 🙄 there was steak on the menu but they'd ordered gammon, egg and chips?!

ElsieMc Sat 17-Aug-19 14:33:21

I worked for a national bus company and would answer the phone to complaints. I was always polite. One lady rang to harangue me about a recent coach trip to the Trafford Centre. It was because when they got there the shops were too expensive and she wanted her money back.

Yet weeks before we had a particularly useless driver who could not manage to find his way into the said Centre when the passengers had to go to the front of the bus to assist him. Zero complaints.

I also ran a home support business many years ago when a client called me to complain about a support worker who was unsuitable. Apparently her thighs were twice the size of mine. Another complaint about an excellent worker was that she looked like an "escaped prisoner". "Dont send her again" was the most common complaint.

Cocolapew Sat 17-Aug-19 14:34:26

I actually lol'ed at the chips being too potatoey 😁

nedtherobbot Sat 17-Aug-19 14:34:46

Oh I've remembered the best complaint submitted against me. Taking a small group of 2 to 3 year old's to the toilets from outside play. One boy was desperate for the toilet so we were going into the primary block to get there ASAP rather than walk a little further back to nursery. Dad comes to pick up, say x is desperate for the toilet, we'll just be a moment, his going in first. Dad picks him up and tells me not to worry they'll be home soon and his already signed him out of nursery. Offer to let him in to use the adult toilets with his son but his already speeding towards to car park.

Toilet the other couple of children and go back out to play. Another member of staff is waiting to relieve me because the manager wants to see me in the office. The poor boy had wet himself in the car and dad had phoned up to complain about it. Apprently he'd been denied access to the toilet because he wasn't ready when dad wanted to leave and he should have been taken to the toilet sooner so not to delay dad. Dad was earlier than normal picking up and we'd headed to the toilet the second the request had been made. All that came of the complaint was all of us carrying a form for parents to sign if they wanted to take their child without them being toileted.

WatchingFromTheWings Sat 17-Aug-19 14:56:08

@Zaphodsotherhead I've had that where I work. Apparently the scratch card/lottery ticket is definitely a winner and to check again. And again. After 2 or 3 attempts I tell them to ring Camelot as there's nothing I can do and we can't override the lottery terminal!

QualCheckBot Sat 17-Aug-19 15:14:02

I used to have a large holiday let apartment in a city centre (not an AirB&B). Let it out to two large families once, all was going well until I was wakened at 1.30am by a phone call from them. They had run out of hot water for the showers and could I come round right there and then and fix it?

There were 13 of them in a 6 bedroom apartment, which had a massive hot water tank but not a bottomless one and there were 3 showers in total including one electric one which was still working perfectly well. They had all come back at the same time together and started showering and having baths.

To say they got a bit of grumpy response is an under-estimate!

Daffodil2018 Sat 17-Aug-19 15:29:21

I organised a private event at a royal palace (outing to say which one). A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the attendees.

One of them emailed me afterwards to complain that during the champagne reception he had been lightly splashed by the spray of one of the fountains.

maras2 Sat 17-Aug-19 15:31:17

Back in 'Ye olde days' portable cardiac monitors were used in general wards and placed on bedside lockers.
Cue one miserable so and so moaning that 'How come he's allowed his telly and I'm not confused.
He wouldn't listen to an explanation and got his family to make an official complaint.
This was about 40 years ago but I still think about it when I hear folk ie.Judge Judy, saying that 'You can't argue with stoopid' smile

ChristmasFluff Sat 17-Aug-19 15:39:43

I was once given a real dressing down by a customer for not knowing where the newspapers were.

When she finally took a breath I was able to tell her I was a customer too. Which should have been plain, since I wasn't wearing any sort of uniform.

RoxyHart13 Sat 17-Aug-19 15:49:31

I worked in Brantano when I was 16/17. A customer shouted at me because children's shoes stop at size 6 and her son was a size 7 so she had to buy adult shoes.

cinnabarmoth Sat 17-Aug-19 16:10:24

I used to work in a supermarket and was sweeping up round the checkouts when a customer walked a little too close so I politely asked her to be mind the broom. She said "What bomb?!" I tried to explain that she must have misheard me but she spent several minutes insisting that I had said there was a bomb and then she insisted that I call the manager. Thankfully he supported me. She was a regular customer, and I had never had any problem with her before, but some months later she came into the store and tried to physically start a fight with one of my colleagues, who had no connection to her whatsoever, so I suspect there were some mental health issues.

I was once asked to refund a 'lucky dip' lottery ticket because 3 of the numbers had come up a week earlier. I declined as the rules prohibited it (at the time, no idea if that still stands), and then tried to explain that last week's numbers had no bearing on this week's, but he was not happy. He didn't get the refund though!

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Sat 17-Aug-19 16:11:41

I used to work at McDonalds and someone sent their Big Mac back because the cheese wasn't melted enough.

scarecrowhead Sat 17-Aug-19 16:12:23

Women in my hotel the other year complaining loudly that she'd booked 'Majorca' and had been sent to 'Mallorca' instead which she'd 'never heard of'. hmm

thisisalliwant Sat 17-Aug-19 16:51:40

We have so many customers on holiday come into the small village ‘supermarket’ where I work. We are classed as a convenience store we are that small. Apparently it’s our fault that we don’t cater for their needs for the week/two weeks they are here, rather than basic foodstuffs that the locals buy regularly. Capers and ‘Green & Blacks’ hot chocolate are what I’ve been shouted at about this summer. Last year apparently we didn’t hold a large enough selection of Gin and their summer holiday was ruined. We normally have four different brands, and had got a couple of local ones in for the summer.
Most bizarre thing happened to my DM though. She was a headteacher and had several written complaints from parents to governors about being seen hanging out the washing on a Saturday morning as it was unbecoming of her role in the community.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »