Talk

Advanced search

Crematorium Technician here

(687 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

kermitrulesok Thu 31-May-18 13:11:53

I see lots of threads about cremations and Crematoria. I'm currently a crem tech so please ask me questions and I will endeavor to answer them.

SoleBizzz Mon 02-Jul-18 21:42:37

Hello Kermit When you see the bones, do you ever just think what is the point of life, the good and the bad?

SoleBizzz Mon 02-Jul-18 17:00:16

PennyPickle Mon 02-Jul-18 16:36:06

I'm placemarking - sorry! I don't have time to read the full thread right now but what I have read is fascinating. Not sure if my question has already been answered. I'll read it fully this evening. Thank you for this Kermit.

TellMeItsNotTrue Mon 02-Jul-18 09:42:44

I wasn't sure about opening this thread, but I saw it mentioned on a few others saying how good it was so I built up my courage and opened it

You see, I will be going through this again very shortly

It's actually been really reassuring and the opposite of how I expected it to feel, I am going to imagine you being the one to be there with my loved one, and that you were there in the past when I've gone through this. That you were there treating them with respect, referring to them by their name not a number, talking to them

A few years back I saw a hospital programme (don't normally watch them so may have been a news segment) about what happens when a patient dies in hospital, I had recently said goodbye to a loved one and went to switch it off but I felt compelled to watch. A porter new to the hospital referred to the body and a member of the team kindly corrected him and said he is still our patient. She looked at his folder and said this is Mr Smith (made up name as can't remember) so you can say the patient or you can say Mr Smith. Then they went through other processes and they were just so respectful of the deceased that it comforted me

This thread reminds me of that, and again has come at a time when it is of most use. I have felt more at ease with the hospital side of things since seeing that, and will now feel more at ease with the crem side of things

BlackWatchBelle Sun 24-Jun-18 18:52:19

Just read your thread and its made me sob. I lost my mum to cancer 13 years ago but the comment about you being respectful to the end and saying goodbye meant so much. I hope the last person who cremated my mum was like you, I hope she was treated well, she was an awesome, amazing woman and I miss her every day.

Bluelady Fri 22-Jun-18 16:12:14

What an amazing thread. One of the best I've ever seen. Thank you so much, Kermit, people like you are worth your weight in gold and diamonds.

Adarajames Mon 11-Jun-18 20:20:22

Nah, you get same effect if you try and burn phone directory, just easier fuel than condensed paper available.

Op you're a wonder, thank you smile

Ptlam Sun 10-Jun-18 03:43:34

You mentioned that one time there was a Bible that hadn’t suffered any damage. That is absolutely FASCINATING… It’s what we Christians call a MIRACLE. By any chance did you or can you find out anything about the deceased? Obviously Whoever it was -was faithful if they were buried with their Bible.

OhNoes Fri 08-Jun-18 15:40:36

How have they actually spoilt it? They put a link in the article, so more people will have seen it. I do agree it's a bit lazy to copy and paste the content though.

Topseyt Fri 08-Jun-18 14:46:50

What a shame the dreadful Daily Fail have jumped in to spoil things.

Lazy journos who have little interest in either accuracy or in doing any proper work for themselves.

It is such a shame that there seems no way to stop them doing this. They are like vultures.

OhNoes Fri 08-Jun-18 10:05:28

Excellent thread, Kermit ~ I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it on the DM as I don't usually visit Classics. Have read all of it and it's been fascinating.

Brendatheblender Thu 07-Jun-18 21:09:20

This thread has been a rollercoaster of emtions for me but has also been very informative and has answered many unanswered questions that have bothered me about my GPs cremations.

Thank you so much OP. You are a wonderful person x

kermitrulesok Thu 07-Jun-18 19:56:19

I've read the comments and apparently I'm lying! I think Daily Mail Australia picked it up hence the dollars

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 07-Jun-18 19:51:33

Thanks so much for this thread OP. It’s fascinating and also comforting. When my Grandad died suddenly I was so scared at the idea of his cremation, imagining all kinds of ghastly images and this has really put my mind at ease that it isn’t the terrifying process that my mind conjured up.

TaggieRR Thu 07-Jun-18 19:18:35

Thank you Kermit for all you do. I can imagine you have made many people feel bette with this thread.

PandaPieForTea Thu 07-Jun-18 19:06:26

The Daily Mail article isn’t even well written. And why have they listed the pay in Australian Dollars?

Stilllivinginazoo Thu 07-Jun-18 19:06:22

I really hope they don't remove the thread from MN thoughts been of comfort to so many.bloody lazy bastards at the fail.surely there's other things going on in the world to report on!

kermitrulesok Thu 07-Jun-18 18:36:10

I had a feeling the fail would pick this up sad

NotARegularPenguin Thu 07-Jun-18 18:24:29

Daily mail journalists are shameless.

MrsDilligaf Thu 07-Jun-18 18:22:32

I detest the Daily Mail. I truly wish they'd become extinct. Lazy Journalists, petty stories that belittle women and a narrow minded attitude.

Heinous rag.

QueenoftheNights Thu 07-Jun-18 15:44:10

This is now on the front page of the Mail
@Ilovekermit Just think if you had spoken to a journalist or sent your idea to the Mail you could have been paid for your wisdom. As it is they have lifted all the posts here.

TheGreatestHo Thu 07-Jun-18 14:42:39

Fuck off daily mail 🙄

HildaZelda Thu 07-Jun-18 14:35:02

Daily Mail has picked up the thread hmm

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5816143/Crematorium-technician-reveals-secrets-morbid-job.html

kermitrulesok Sun 03-Jun-18 23:05:58

@catinboots9 no smell as it's all contained in the cremator

catinboots9 Sun 03-Jun-18 23:05:05

Not from the cigs blush but from the bodies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »